Subject: [MMUSIC] packetization time (ptime) within SDP (being used w/SIP) (RFC3264 )

From: "Feldman, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:23:07 -0800

From reading RFC3264,
Could you clarify/confirm how the packetization time is set using SDP.

1) The SDP offer does not set the ptime
   The SDP answer sets a with a ptime (not the default value)

	does the answerer send RTP data with packetization interval
specified in the SDP answer?
	(the offerer sends data as the SDP answer specifies)

2) The SDP offer sets the ptime (not the default value)
   The SDP answer does not set the ptime

	does the offerer send RTP data with packetization interval specified
in the SDP offer?
	(the answerer sends data as the SDP offer specifies)

3) Both the SDP offer and SDP answer set a different ptime

	the SDP offerer sends RTP data with the packetization interval
specified in the SDP answer
	the SDP answerer sends RTP data with the packetization interval
specified in the SDP offer

thanks,
mike feldman
408 863 5546
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:13:10 -0500

inline.

> 	(the offerer sends data as the SDP answer specifies)

No. ptime is negotiated in each direction independently. If the offer 
does not provide it, it means that the answerer uses whatever it likes.

> 	(the answerer sends data as the SDP offer specifies)

No. As above.

> specified in the SDP offer

Yes.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com