Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP Slides for MMUSIC WG meeting

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:04:36 -0800

> Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> if you have any input into anything please raise them on the mailing 
> list or interrupt me during the presentation.

Slide 17, bullet 2:

The problem does not exist for the control signaling over TCP,
but for the media streams.

--                                   

This would seem to imply that interleaved media over the TCP
control signalling channel is also not a problem. This would
seem to be the actual "competition" for these NAT techniques --
is the savings in server overhead + the quality improvement
of UDP media flow over TCP media flow worth the added expense
of implementing these RTSP NAT techniques? I hope the answer  
is "yes", of course ... but I think its a question the skeptical
potential implementor may ask ...                               

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:35:30 +0100

Hi John,

>but for the media streams.

Quoting from my draft regarding usage of TCP tunneling:

3.4.3. Deployment Considerations

   Advantage:

   - Works through all types of NATs.

   Disadvantage:

   - Functionality needs to be implemented on both server and client.
   - May not give real-time performance.

So also this usage needs to be implemented. However I hope that a 
implementor are aware that there is very potential problems with the 
real-time performance when TCP is used.

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund 

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research ERA/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]