Subject: [MMUSIC] query regarding SDP

From: "Vishal Verma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:49:04 +0530

Hello,
  I am looking into SDP protocol presently and I have some 
questions regarding SDP. My questions are :

1. SDP is used by SIP to inform about endpoint media capability 
in INVITE message .My question is ...if endpoint A initiated  
call to endpoint B and on receiving A's SDP ,B finds out A's SDP does 
not matches with A so B can not go ahead with call .In this 
situation what is the response code to indicate this failure ?
   If there is no response code for this so what exactly is 
method to communicate error to A.

2. Why SDP does not madates use of certain codecs(G.711) as done 
by ITU-T protocols(H.323)(I mean to ask what is the idea behind 
not suggesting mandatory codecs) .There will always be high 
probability of codec mismatch

regards, vishal

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:57:56 -0500

inline.

> situation what is the response code to indicate this failure ?

488

> probability of codec mismatch

Selecting a baseline codec is an IPR nightmare.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com