Subject: [MMUSIC] Content-Location in a 200 resp. leading to other server

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:14:38 +0100

Hi,

I have a question about the legality/normality of the following use case:

A user agent sends a DESCRIBE for the following resource
rtsp://192.168.200.12/resource.mp4:
DESCRIBE rtsp://192.168.200.12/resource.mp4
CSeq: 1
User-agent: MyUa
Accept: application/sdp

The server replies:
RTSP/1.0 200 OK
CSeq: 1
Server: MyServer
Content-Location: rtsp://192.168.202.12/go_there_please.mp4
Content-Type: application/sdp
Content-Length: XXXX

v=0...
a=control:*
m=audio...
a=control:stuff/lady_in_red
m=video...
a=control:stuff/shae_marks

In this example, the server replies successfully but "redirects" the user
agent to another host for the subsequent requests. The RTSP spec (RFC 2326)
is very broad concerning Content-Location. However, I've ran into UAs that
seem to  expect Content-Location to mandatorily point to the SAME host
address (regardless of the URI path that can vary).
Hence my question: as far as the network authority is concerned, can
Content-Location point to a different host than the replying host??

Thanks,

Olivier

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:00:52 +0100

Hi Olivier,

To me this example seems legal. In fact from the language of RFC 2326 
the intention is to support use cases when even the different media 
streams are located on different servers. Also looking at the definition 
of Content Location I don't see anything that indicates the restriction 
you describe. So in my opinion a UA should definitely handle the case 
with different host address in Content-Location.

Best Regards

Magnus 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund 

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research ERA/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]