Subject: [MMUSIC] Testing compliance to RTSP

From: Mark Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:26:27 +1000

Hello,

During the course of my work, we have developed a software system, a part of
which which acts as a proxy server between a freely available video server
and end user client video software. We would like to check the compliance of
the server side interface to the proxy with the complete RTSP. 

I was wondering if anyone knew of any tools available to RTSP developers
that could, by interrogation of the specified RTSP interface that has been
developed, determine which parts of the protocol are being adhered to and
which are not.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Mark Hansen
Design Engineer

Cirrus Real Time Processing Systems Pty. Ltd.
Level 9, 99 Elizabeth Street,
Sydney, 2000
P.O. Box A2298,
Sydney South 1235
AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9231-2225
Fax: +61 2 9231-2252
Email: [email-masked]

***********************************************
Cirrus wins Cisco Systems Innovation Award, and
Telstra NSW Small Business of the Year 2002.
See NEWS section at www.cirrusrtps.com.au
***********************************************

COMMERCIAL-IN-CONFIDENCE

CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error please notify Cirrus immediately.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and
may not necessarily reflect the views of Cirrus. Cirrus cannot accept
liability for any virus damage caused by this message.

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 17:06:31 +0200

Hi Mark,

They may be products out there that claim that they verify RTSP 
compliance. However the real picture in regards to RTSP is that the 
specification is not clear enough to result in fully interoperable RTSP 
implementations. Basic interoperability has been achieved for basic 
playback functionality. However a number of features or behavior that 
are rather centric to RTSP has been implemented differently by different 
vendors. This is the reason that in my opinion no one can currently 
develop a tool that test compliance.

Due to this differences we in this WG are currently working on updating 
the RTSP specification to something that will be possible to implement 
in an interoperable way. The latest version of the draft is 
"draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-03.txt". This draft does not yet cover all 
the known issues. A list of bugs can be found at 
http://rtspspec.sourceforge.net. We also have teleconferences where we 
discuss issues and resolutions. A list of the minutes of meeting for 
these, see http://rtsp.org. I would recommend that you look at the 
changes list in the draft, the bugs and their resolutions, and what we 
discussed in the telecons to discover which changes we propose and areas 
where there has been unclearities regarding RTSP. I would also encourage 
you to write to this mailing list any question you have regarding RTSP 
issues. You are also welcome to join the RTSP telecons if you have input 
on anything on the agenda.

Best Regards

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund 

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research ERA/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]