Subject: [MMUSIC] Clarification on use of sendonly for hold

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:33:54 +0000

In section 8.4 of RFC3264 it says:

"Typically, when a user "presses" hold, the agent will generate an offer
with all streams in the SDP indicating a direction of sendonly, and it will
also locally mute, so that no media is sent to the far  end, and no media is
played out."

This seems strange. If the UA is not sending any media to the far end, why
not use "inactive" instead of "sendonly"?

John Elwell ([email-masked])

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:50:26 -0500

That sort of makes sense, but it presents a problem. It doesn't provide 
a clear indication of which end *wants* the call to be on hold, and 
which one doesn't.

	Paul

Elwell, John wrote:
> with all streams in the SDP indicating a direction of sendonly, and it 
> will also locally mute, so that no media is sent to the far  end, and no 
> media is played out."
> 
> This seems strange. If the UA is not sending any media to the far end, 
> why not use "inactive" instead of "sendonly"?
> 

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:34:09 -0500

To allow for situations where there is muzak or other media placed 
while the call is on hold. That said, there is nothing wrong with 
using inactive if you want, if you have no plans to do that.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:49:08 -0500

Its not the feature "on-hold" that is being signaled. Its the fact 
that media is not desired, which can be signaled for any number of 
reasons.

-Jonathan R.

Paul Kyzivat wrote:

>> "Typically, when a user "presses" hold, the agent will generate an 
>> offer with all streams in the SDP indicating a direction of sendonly, 
>> and it will also locally mute, so that no media is sent to the far  
>> end, and no media is played out."
>>