Subject: [MMUSIC] TVA comments on the framework and requirements

From: Evain Jean-Pierre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:06:01 +0100

0/ Summary
TV-Anytime has reviewed draft-ietf-mmusic-img-framework-02.txt
and draft-ietf-mmusic-img-req-02.txt and would like to suggest the
following...

The IMG framework and requirements are fully in line with TVA objectives and
we have only a very limited number of suggestions for amendment of the
texts.

TVA looks forward ensuring compatibility of the IMG mechanisms with our
applications.
Furthermore, TVA would like to share experience with IMG and contribute to
the IMG data model, service discover and service exploitation mechanisms.

1/ Clarification of the role of TV-Anytime
We would like to start by clarifying the relationship between TV-Anytime and
MPEG-7.  The description made in Section 5.1 does not seem to be accurate
and the assumption made that TV-Anytime is as a whole based on MPEG7 is not
correct.  Most of the TV-Anytime schemas are based on a data model specific
to TV-Anytime.  TV-Anytime schemas have been optimised to describe broadcast
schedules, on-demand programme guides and programme events.  TV-Anytime only
uses the MPEG-7's User description profile for user preferences and usage
history. 

2/ References to TVA specifications
Furthermore, the references to TV-Anytime specifications should be completed
as follows using the ETSI references:

Generic specification name:
ETSI-TS 102 822; Broadcast and On-line services: Search, select, and
rightful use of content on personal storage systems
Identification of specification parts and sub-parts:
ETSI-TS 102 822-1: Phase 1 Benchmark Features
ETSI-TS 102 822-2: System Description
ETSI-TS 102 822-3/1: Metadata Schemas
ETSI-TS 102 822-3/2: Metadata System Aspects (Fragmentation, indexing,
encoding)
ETSI-TS 102 822-4: Content Referencing
ETSI-TS 102 822-6/1: Metadata Services over a Bidirectional Network -
Service and transport
ETSI-TS 102 822-6/1: Metadata Services over a Bidirectional Network -
Service Discovery
ETSI TS 102 822-7: Bidirectional Metadata Delivery Protection

3/ TV-Anytime is totally in line with the IMG framework in terms of
services, applications and entities.  Furthermore, TV-Anytime has already
explored some of the delivery and transport issues addressed by IMG.

4/ The domain of application of TVA Phase 1 is unidirectional broadcast
assisted by bi-directional access to ancillary metadata services.  The TVA
specification covers the description of broadcast and on-demand schedules or
events.  Furthermore, TVA has developed a "content referencing" scheme and
"resolving" mechanisms that provide enhanced flexibility in the management
of schedules and associated content.  The type of Phase 1 content is
primarily video, audio and ancillary services (Teletext, subtitles,
design-for-all features...).  TVA Phase 2 is currently addressing media
packages that will encompass all sorts of data for different media delivery.
It is therefore expected that TVA will cover a very wide range of
applications and content and we would like to ensure that IMG allows to TVA
data being accessed, transported and delivered using multicast or unicast
delivery.

5/ As suggested in the IMG framework, the data model defined by TV-Anytime
has been designed to allow an efficient delivery, versioning and updating of
our data.  This structure (fragmentation, indexing, encoding, etc) is
defined in our metadata specification ETSI TS102822-3/2.   The TVA data
model is fully compatible with the notions of IMG descriptions, Delta IMG
descriptions and IMG pointer identified in the IMG framework. The use of the
TVA model is not restricted and IMG is welcome to adopting it depending on
the level of granularity targeted for the IMG data types and data models
(see IMG needs in Sections 3.1 and 5.3.4).  The experience of TV-Anytime is
that the data model must be sufficiently explicit to further specify the
metadata service mechanisms (see ETSI TS102822-6/1/2).

6/ Service discovery over bi-directional networks, commands and protocols
can be found in ETSI TS102822-6.  The TVA specification make use of existing
IETF mechanisms.  TVA would certainly welcome feedback from IMG experts on
the solutions proposed in these documents. We look forward to collaborating
with IMG to maintain / enhance compatibility. Furthermore, TVA defines
service discovery mechanisms initiated by a client request for metadata
services but there is no reason why TVA could not take benefit from
permanent connection or access e.g. multicast to "pushed" data. In TVA,
service discovery is made using UDDI or WSDL and WS-Inspection.  Once a
metadata service has been "discovered", the domain of operation is the
metadata service domain.

7/ Security is addressed in ETSI TS102822-7. TV-Anytime has specified basic
security mechanisms for the exchange of metadata over bi-driectional
networks based on IETF TLS (Transport Layer Security).

8/ TVA supports the IMG requirements with the exception of one or two minor
request for clarification to be reported hereafter.  More importantly,  the
concurrence of the IMG framework and requirements with what TVA has done
(Phase 1 plus Phase 2 covering a wide range of application and content
types) encourages us in more collaboration with IMG in particular
contributing to draft-luoma-mmusic-img-metadata-03 with our data model.

9/ Suggestions on the content orientated use cases in IMG requirements
TVA Phase 1 definitely covers 4.2.2 TV and radio programme delivery, 4.2.3
media coverage of a live event and  4.2.4 distance learning. One could
certainly add more use cases such as "Trailer booking and recording", "Use
of segmented content for content updates, content replacement for e.g.
targeted advertising, and virtual programmes", "Discovery and access to
related programmes", etc.
TVA Phase 2 will enrich these cases by the use of media packages
encompassing more content formats than audio, video and related ancillary
data.

10/ Review of the IMG requirements and comments
REQ GEN-1: The TVA data model is compliant with the IMG framework and
associated requirements.  SP003 defines self-contained common document
structure being considered as a candidate for IMG metadata format. It has a
single top-level element that encloses all other TV-Anytime metadata.  TVA
can be transported efficiently by fragmenting descriptions and sequential
delivery of description tables clearly identified by their version for
updating, replacement or deletion.

REQ GEN-2: TVA anytime Phase 1 covers a wide range of applications as
mentioned above.  Phase 2 will further enlarge the scope of application of
TVA data.  IMG SHOULD support these.

REQ GEN-3: SP003 defines the identifier that specifies the name of the
publisher of the description. This offers the base for some mechanisms to
solve issues related to simultaneous access to multiple IMG senders.  

REQ GEN-4: SP006 ensures the modularity of query/response operations
relevant to IMG Operations.

REQ DEL-1: The TVA metadata model allows flexible update.

REQ DEL-2: SP003 defines identification scheme to identify particular
version of a metadata fragment.  TVA anytime data fragmentation takes into
account the need for efficient delivery and management of update in
combination with BiM encoding.

REQ DEL-3: The TVA data model has been designed to deliver data to large
audiences
REQ DEL-4: SP006 has allows to expand metadata descriptions based on the TVA
versioning and notification schemes.  The TVA approach described in
TS102822-6 is based on service discovery initiated by a client but could
also take benefit of permanent, although possibly intermittent, connections.
The fragmentation and indexing of TVA data allows small quantities of
reliably connected carouselled data being transmitted including over
intermittent connections.  Descriptions are reconstructed after reception
once the system has been signalled that all description elements have been
received.

REQ DEL-5: See REQ DEL-4

REQ DEL-6: TV-Anytime queries are currently client initiated.  The problem
of time limited validity of pushed data remains to be addressed (TVA Phase
2).

REQ DEL-7: Sender driven aspects will be addressed in TVA Phase 2 for
compliance with IMG requirements.

REQ CUS-1: SP006 defines schemes for submission of user-centric metadata to
metadata service providers and retrieval of customised data. Sender-driven
uni/multicast delivery of customized metadata descriptions will be addressed
in TVA Phase 2 for compliance with IMG requirements.

REQ REL-1: SP003 defines an identification scheme to identify and manage a
particular version of a metadata fragment, which can be a complete
description or a description subset.

REQ REL-2: SP006 can manage versions and updates in client initiated
transactions. Sender-driven uni/multicast delivery will be addressed in TVA
Phase 2 for compliance with IMG requirements.

REQ REL-3: SP006 uses http as a base for bi-directional metadata retrieval.

REQ DES-1: This issue is particularly sensitive in the case of simultaneous
access to multiple IMG senders.  This is being addressed in TVA Phase 2.
However, TVA believes that the metadata provided by different sources is
under the responsability of one authority that manages versions of this
data.

REQ DES-2: Absolutely necessary and TVA is ready to help in order to ensure
that this apply to all TVA's domains of application.

REQ DES-3: TVA would like to suggest a clarification of this requirements
with the need expressed in the IMG framework document for an IMG minimum
data model.

REQ DES-4: SP003 defines self-contained common document structure that  has
a single top-level element that encloses all or part of TV-Anytime metadata.
The different metadata tables can be transmitted in separate fragments.

REQ DES-5: Agreed.  In the case of TV-Anytime, the envelope must contain all
the parameters essential to the management of TVA Main and associated
fragments.

REQ DES-6: TV-Anytime should be one of the identifiable metadata formats.

REQ DES-7: no comment

REQ DES-8: TVA fully supports versioning and updates.

As concerns the requirements security mentioned in Section 6, TVA only
defines very generic scheme for establishing secure authentication channel
between metadata sender and receiver (TS 102822-7). 

**********************************************************************
 This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.

**********************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:54:21 +0200

Hi Jean-Pierre
 
Thank you for your extensive input. We are very pleased that TV-Anytime finds the IMG work to be in great shape for TVA use, and also to have such a good breadth of comments on the applicability of IMGs and TVA to one another.
 
To make my life easier in responding and discussing this information I will make more than one email reply covering different aspects. Here's an idea of the kind of aspects I'm thinking about:
* TVA review of IMG requirements and framework IDs and changes to these documents
* Separating TVA-IMG objectives to those which fit MMUSIC scope, and those which belong to other standards WGs
* The delivery protocol needs of TVA with IMG: existing solutions and new work needed (and where to do it)
* The metadata needs of TVA with IMG: existing solutions and new work needed (and where to do it)
* The conformance of TVA Phase 1 (and the up-and-coming Phase 2) to the IMG requirements & framework
* The applicability of TVA technology for reuse in IMG solutions
 
In the meantime, anyone else's ideas are more than welcome.
 
Cheers,
Rod Walsh

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of ext Evain Jean-Pierre
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 4:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] TVA comments on the framework and requirements

0/ Summary 
TV-Anytime has reviewed draft-ietf-mmusic-img-framework-02.txt 
and draft-ietf-mmusic-img-req-02.txt and would like to suggest the following... 

The IMG framework and requirements are fully in line with TVA objectives and we have only a very limited number of suggestions for amendment of the texts.

TVA looks forward ensuring compatibility of the IMG mechanisms with our applications. 
Furthermore, TVA would like to share experience with IMG and contribute to the IMG data model, service discover and service exploitation mechanisms.

1/ Clarification of the role of TV-Anytime 
We would like to start by clarifying the relationship between TV-Anytime and MPEG-7.  The description made in Section 5.1 does not seem to be accurate and the assumption made that TV-Anytime is as a whole based on MPEG7 is not correct.  Most of the TV-Anytime schemas are based on a data model specific to TV-Anytime.  TV-Anytime schemas have been optimised to describe broadcast schedules, on-demand programme guides and programme events.  TV-Anytime only uses the MPEG-7's User description profile for user preferences and usage history. 

2/ References to TVA specifications 
Furthermore, the references to TV-Anytime specifications should be completed as follows using the ETSI references: 

Generic specification name: 
ETSI-TS 102 822; Broadcast and On-line services: Search, select, and 
rightful use of content on personal storage systems 
Identification of specification parts and sub-parts: 
ETSI-TS 102 822-1: Phase 1 Benchmark Features 
ETSI-TS 102 822-2: System Description 
ETSI-TS 102 822-3/1: Metadata Schemas 
ETSI-TS 102 822-3/2: Metadata System Aspects (Fragmentation, indexing, encoding) 
ETSI-TS 102 822-4: Content Referencing 
ETSI-TS 102 822-6/1: Metadata Services over a Bidirectional Network - Service and transport 
ETSI-TS 102 822-6/1: Metadata Services over a Bidirectional Network - Service Discovery 
ETSI TS 102 822-7: Bidirectional Metadata Delivery Protection 

3/ TV-Anytime is totally in line with the IMG framework in terms of services, applications and entities.  Furthermore, TV-Anytime has already explored some of the delivery and transport issues addressed by IMG.

4/ The domain of application of TVA Phase 1 is unidirectional broadcast assisted by bi-directional access to ancillary metadata services.  The TVA specification covers the description of broadcast and on-demand schedules or events.  Furthermore, TVA has developed a "content referencing" scheme and "resolving" mechanisms that provide enhanced flexibility in the management of schedules and associated content.  The type of Phase 1 content is primarily video, audio and ancillary services (Teletext, subtitles, design-for-all features...).  TVA Phase 2 is currently addressing media packages that will encompass all sorts of data for different media delivery.  It is therefore expected that TVA will cover a very wide range of applications and content and we would like to ensure that IMG allows to TVA data being accessed, transported and delivered using multicast or unicast delivery.

5/ As suggested in the IMG framework, the data model defined by TV-Anytime has been designed to allow an efficient delivery, versioning and updating of our data.  This structure (fragmentation, indexing, encoding, etc) is defined in our metadata specification ETSI TS102822-3/2.   The TVA data model is fully compatible with the notions of IMG descriptions, Delta IMG descriptions and IMG pointer identified in the IMG framework. The use of the TVA model is not restricted and IMG is welcome to adopting it depending on the level of granularity targeted for the IMG data types and data models (see IMG needs in Sections 3.1 and 5.3.4).  The experience of TV-Anytime is that the data model must be sufficiently explicit to further specify the metadata service mechanisms (see ETSI TS102822-6/1/2).

6/ Service discovery over bi-directional networks, commands and protocols can be found in ETSI TS102822-6.  The TVA specification make use of existing IETF mechanisms.  TVA would certainly welcome feedback from IMG experts on the solutions proposed in these documents. We look forward to collaborating with IMG to maintain / enhance compatibility. Furthermore, TVA defines service discovery mechanisms initiated by a client request for metadata services but there is no reason why TVA could not take benefit from permanent connection or access e.g. multicast to "pushed" data. In TVA, service discovery is made using UDDI or WSDL and WS-Inspection.  Once a metadata service has been "discovered", the domain of operation is the metadata service domain.

7/ Security is addressed in ETSI TS102822-7. TV-Anytime has specified basic security mechanisms for the exchange of metadata over bi-driectional networks based on IETF TLS (Transport Layer Security).

8/ TVA supports the IMG requirements with the exception of one or two minor request for clarification to be reported hereafter.  More importantly,  the concurrence of the IMG framework and requirements with what TVA has done (Phase 1 plus Phase 2 covering a wide range of application and content types) encourages us in more collaboration with IMG in particular contributing to draft-luoma-mmusic-img-metadata-03 with our data model.

9/ Suggestions on the content orientated use cases in IMG requirements 
TVA Phase 1 definitely covers 4.2.2 TV and radio programme delivery, 4.2.3 media coverage of a live event and  4.2.4 distance learning. One could certainly add more use cases such as "Trailer booking and recording", "Use of segmented content for content updates, content replacement for e.g. targeted advertising, and virtual programmes", "Discovery and access to related programmes", etc.

TVA Phase 2 will enrich these cases by the use of media packages encompassing more content formats than audio, video and related ancillary data.

10/ Review of the IMG requirements and comments 
REQ GEN-1: The TVA data model is compliant with the IMG framework and associated requirements.  SP003 defines self-contained common document structure being considered as a candidate for IMG metadata format. It has a single top-level element that encloses all other TV-Anytime metadata.  TVA can be transported efficiently by fragmenting descriptions and sequential delivery of description tables clearly identified by their version for updating, replacement or deletion.

REQ GEN-2: TVA anytime Phase 1 covers a wide range of applications as mentioned above.  Phase 2 will further enlarge the scope of application of TVA data.  IMG SHOULD support these.

REQ GEN-3: SP003 defines the identifier that specifies the name of the publisher of the description. This offers the base for some mechanisms to solve issues related to simultaneous access to multiple IMG senders.  

REQ GEN-4: SP006 ensures the modularity of query/response operations relevant to IMG Operations. 

REQ DEL-2: SP003 defines identification scheme to identify particular version of a metadata fragment.  TVA anytime data fragmentation takes into account the need for efficient delivery and management of update in combination with BiM encoding.

REQ DEL-3: The TVA data model has been designed to deliver data to large audiences 
REQ DEL-4: SP006 has allows to expand metadata descriptions based on the TVA versioning and notification schemes.  The TVA approach described in TS102822-6 is based on service discovery initiated by a client but could also take benefit of permanent, although possibly intermittent, connections.  The fragmentation and indexing of TVA data allows small quantities of reliably connected carouselled data being transmitted including over intermittent connections.  Descriptions are reconstructed after reception once the system has been signalled that all description elements have been received.

REQ DEL-5: See REQ DEL-4 

REQ DEL-6: TV-Anytime queries are currently client initiated.  The problem of time limited validity of pushed data remains to be addressed (TVA Phase 2).

REQ DEL-7: Sender driven aspects will be addressed in TVA Phase 2 for compliance with IMG requirements. 

REQ CUS-1: SP006 defines schemes for submission of user-centric metadata to metadata service providers and retrieval of customised data. Sender-driven uni/multicast delivery of customized metadata descriptions will be addressed in TVA Phase 2 for compliance with IMG requirements.

REQ REL-1: SP003 defines an identification scheme to identify and manage a particular version of a metadata fragment, which can be a complete description or a description subset.

REQ REL-2: SP006 can manage versions and updates in client initiated transactions. Sender-driven uni/multicast delivery will be addressed in TVA Phase 2 for compliance with IMG requirements.

REQ DES-1: This issue is particularly sensitive in the case of simultaneous access to multiple IMG senders.  This is being addressed in TVA Phase 2.  However, TVA believes that the metadata provided by different sources is under the responsability of one authority that manages versions of this data.

REQ DES-2: Absolutely necessary and TVA is ready to help in order to ensure that this apply to all TVA's domains of application.

REQ DES-3: TVA would like to suggest a clarification of this requirements with the need expressed in the IMG framework document for an IMG minimum data model.

REQ DES-4: SP003 defines self-contained common document structure that  has a single top-level element that encloses all or part of TV-Anytime metadata.  The different metadata tables can be transmitted in separate fragments.

REQ DES-5: Agreed.  In the case of TV-Anytime, the envelope must contain all the parameters essential to the management of TVA Main and associated fragments.

REQ DES-7: no comment 

As concerns the requirements security mentioned in Section 6, TVA only defines very generic scheme for establishing secure authentication channel between metadata sender and receiver (TS 102822-7).

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:18:22 +0200

Hi All
 
Here is my summary (paraphrasing) of the TVA input which relates (only) to document review and request for changes (with suggested text).
 
Jean-Pierre, can you validate this and check that the proposed changes are suitable?
 
General:
 
G1. Both documents are in great shape and cover TVA ideas, use cases & objectives very well
 
G2. TVA would like to ensure that their system fits into the IMG framework. TVA wish to work with us to develop and exchange ideas to do this - i.e. specify the protocols for delivery (service discovery/announcement) possibly in MMUSIC, as well as data models (which would be outside of MMUSIC charter)

Requirements:
 
R1. Several TVA solutions meet several of the requirements
 
No changes needed
 
R2. on the content orientated use cases in IMG requirements:
 
TVA Phase 1 definitely covers 4.2.2 TV and radio programme delivery, 4.2.3 media coverage of a live event and  4.2.4 distance learning. One could certainly add more use cases such as "Trailer booking and recording", "Use of segmented content for content updates, content replacement for e.g. targeted advertising, and virtual programmes", "Discovery and access to related programmes", etc.   TVA Phase 2 will enrich these cases by the use of media packages encompassing more content formats than audio, video and related ancillary data.
 
Indeed there are many use cases beyond those given in this document. I propose that no changes are made, however if your experience is that certain TVA use cases have a strong impact (which is different from the existing IMG use cases) on metadata delivery (rather than the metadata itself), I would be keen to add just these. Are there such use cases? Does this sound OK?
 
R3. REQ DEL-3: The TVA data model has been designed to deliver data to large audiences <However, TVA does not currently specify IP delivery with massive scalability (such as one-to-very-many multicast) and so this is an open requirement for TVA too>
 
No changes needed
 
R4. REQ DEL-6: TV-Anytime queries are currently client initiated.  The problem of time limited validity of pushed data remains to be addressed (TVA Phase 2) <and so this is an open requirement for TVA too>
 
No changes needed
 
R5. REQ DES-3: TVA would like to suggest a clarification of this requirements with the need expressed in the IMG framework document for an IMG minimum data model.
 
    REQ DES-3: Whereas specific applications relying on IMGs will need to
   select one or more specific application-specific metadata formats
   (standard, syntax, etc.), the IMG system MUST be independent of this
   (it may be aware, but it will operate in the same way for all).

   Thus, a transfer envelope format, that is uniform across all
   different application-specific IMG metadata formats, is needed. The
   payload of this transfer envelope would be some application-specific
   metadata.

-- change to ->
 
    REQ DES-3: Whereas specific applications relying on IMGs will need to
   select one or more specific application-specific metadata formats
   (standard, syntax, etc.), the IMG system MUST be independent of this
   (it may be aware, but it will operate in the same way for all).

   Thus, a transfer envelope format, that is uniform across all
   different application-specific IMG metadata formats, is needed. The
   payload of this transfer envelope would be some application-specific
   metadata, and the envelope would support the maintenance of the 
   application-specific metadata including the metadata relationships 
   determined by the data model(s) used. The transfer envelope would 
   not need to be aware of the data model(s) in use.

R6. REQ DES-6: TV-Anytime should be one of the identifiable metadata formats.
   REQ DES-6: It SHALL be possible to deduce the metadata format from
   the transfer envelope.
In a sense, all metadata formats will be identifiable. The solution would need to allow "a metadata application" to recognise a data field as "recognised from this list or not recognised". The delivery itself must be independent of metadata format.
 
No changes needed.
 
R7. As concerns the requirements security mentioned in Section 6, TVA only defines very generic scheme for establishing secure authentication channel between metadata sender and receiver (TS 102822-7). 
 
No changes needed.

Framework:
 
F1. The role of TVA needs clarification §5.1, which maybe achieved by:
 
   MPEG-7 [6] is a collection of XML-based description tools for general
   multimedia content including structured multimedia sessions. TV-
   Anytime Forum [7] provides descriptions based on MPEG-7 for TV
   specific program guides. These are likely to be limited to describe
   pictures, music and movies, thus it may be necessary to extend these
   descriptions in order to define a variety of documents, game
   programs, binary files, live events and so on.

-- change to ->
 
   MPEG-7 [6] is a collection of XML-based description tools for general
   multimedia content including structured multimedia sessions. 
   
   The TV-Anytime Forum [7] provides descriptions based on XML schema 
   for TV-specific program guides. TV-Anytime uses the MPEG-7 User 
   description profile to a limited extent (for user preferences and 
   usage history) and also a TV-Anytime-specific data model for other 
   schema - which are optimised to describe broadcast schedules, 
   on-demand programme guides and programme events.
 
Also, it the following is noted although not necessary to paste into the framework:
 
The domain of application of TVA Phase 1 is unidirectional broadcast assisted by bi-directional access to ancillary metadata services.  The TVA specification covers the description of broadcast and on-demand schedules or events.  Furthermore, TVA has developed a "content referencing" scheme and "resolving" mechanisms that provide enhanced flexibility in the management of schedules and associated content.  The type of Phase 1 content is primarily video, audio and ancillary services (Teletext, subtitles, design-for-all features...).  TVA Phase 2 is currently addressing media packages that will encompass all sorts of data for different media delivery.  It is therefore expected that TVA will cover a very wide range of applications and content and we would like to ensure that IMG allows to TVA data being accessed, transported and delivered using multicast or unicast delivery.

F2. A more specific referencing of TVA [7] is desirable, which may be achieved by:
 
   [7] T.-A. Forum, "Metadata specification S-3," TV-Anytime Forum
   Specification SP003v1.2 Part A, TV, TV-Anytime Forum, June 2002.

-- change to ->
 
   [7] TV-Anytime Forum, "Broadcast and On-line Services: Search, 
   select, and rightful use of content on personal storage systems
   ("TV-Anytime Phase 1"); Part 2: System description," ETSI-TS 102 
   822-2: System Description, V1.1.1, October 2003.

F3. The complete, delta and pointer data types are supported by TVA metadata
 
(Note, since the framework does not recommend that MMUSIC works on the data model, I will leave related responses to a later email - it seems that the information data model submission from Luoma and the TVA data models should work well together and transport of TVA metadata over IMG delivery protocols is a natural fit)
 
No changes needed
 
F4. TVA has not specified a unidirectional transport mechanism for TVA metadata so agrees with the proposal that an IP-based solution is developed (not SAP)
 
No changes needed
 
F5. TVA has developed some solutions for point-to-point unicast metadata delivery with HTTP, TLS, .... These will be interesting to scoping the needed work for point-to-point IMG delivery (what can be reused) and also subsequent point-to-point protocol work.
 
Open issue: we could describe and determine limitations and reuse of these in §5. (Proposed text is welcome!)

Next instalment in a few days!
 
Cheers, Rod.

---

From: "Evain Jean-Pierre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:10:52 +0100

Hello Rod,
 
looks great to me.
 
I'll tell you more by responding to your other message that I can already
see in the queue.
 
Regards,
 
Jean-Pierre

	-----Original Message-----
	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: mercredi, 28. janvier 2004 13:54
	To: Evain Jean-Pierre
	Cc: [email-masked]
	Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] TVA comments on the framework and requirements

	Hi Jean-Pierre
	 
	Thank you for your extensive input. We are very pleased that
TV-Anytime finds the IMG work to be in great shape for TVA use, and also to
have such a good breadth of comments on the applicability of IMGs and TVA to
one another.
	 
	To make my life easier in responding and discussing this information
I will make more than one email reply covering different aspects. Here's an
idea of the kind of aspects I'm thinking about:
	* TVA review of IMG requirements and framework IDs and changes to
these documents
	* Separating TVA-IMG objectives to those which fit MMUSIC scope, and
those which belong to other standards WGs
	* The delivery protocol needs of TVA with IMG: existing solutions
and new work needed (and where to do it)
	* The metadata needs of TVA with IMG: existing solutions and new
work needed (and where to do it)
	
	* The conformance of TVA Phase 1 (and the up-and-coming Phase 2) to
the IMG requirements & framework
	* The applicability of TVA technology for reuse in IMG solutions

	Cheers,
	Rod Walsh

	-----Original Message-----
	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of ext Evain Jean-Pierre
	Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 4:06 PM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [MMUSIC] TVA comments on the framework and requirements

	0/ Summary 

	The IMG framework and requirements are fully in line with TVA
objectives and we have only a very limited number of suggestions for
amendment of the texts.

	TVA looks forward ensuring compatibility of the IMG mechanisms with
our applications. 
	Furthermore, TVA would like to share experience with IMG and
contribute to the IMG data model, service discover and service exploitation
mechanisms.

	1/ Clarification of the role of TV-Anytime 
	We would like to start by clarifying the relationship between
TV-Anytime and MPEG-7.  The description made in Section 5.1 does not seem to
be accurate and the assumption made that TV-Anytime is as a whole based on
MPEG7 is not correct.  Most of the TV-Anytime schemas are based on a data
model specific to TV-Anytime.  TV-Anytime schemas have been optimised to
describe broadcast schedules, on-demand programme guides and programme
events.  TV-Anytime only uses the MPEG-7's User description profile for user
preferences and usage history. 

	2/ References to TVA specifications 
	Furthermore, the references to TV-Anytime specifications should be
completed as follows using the ETSI references: 

	rightful use of content on personal storage systems 
	Identification of specification parts and sub-parts: 
	ETSI-TS 102 822-1: Phase 1 Benchmark Features 
	ETSI-TS 102 822-2: System Description 
	ETSI-TS 102 822-3/1: Metadata Schemas 
	ETSI-TS 102 822-3/2: Metadata System Aspects (Fragmentation,
indexing, encoding) 
	ETSI-TS 102 822-4: Content Referencing 
	ETSI-TS 102 822-6/1: Metadata Services over a Bidirectional Network
- Service and transport 
	ETSI-TS 102 822-6/1: Metadata Services over a Bidirectional Network
- Service Discovery 
	ETSI TS 102 822-7: Bidirectional Metadata Delivery Protection 

	4/ The domain of application of TVA Phase 1 is unidirectional
broadcast assisted by bi-directional access to ancillary metadata services.
The TVA specification covers the description of broadcast and on-demand
schedules or events.  Furthermore, TVA has developed a "content referencing"
scheme and "resolving" mechanisms that provide enhanced flexibility in the
management of schedules and associated content.  The type of Phase 1 content
is primarily video, audio and ancillary services (Teletext, subtitles,
design-for-all features...).  TVA Phase 2 is currently addressing media
packages that will encompass all sorts of data for different media delivery.
It is therefore expected that TVA will cover a very wide range of
applications and content and we would like to ensure that IMG allows to TVA
data being accessed, transported and delivered using multicast or unicast
delivery.

	5/ As suggested in the IMG framework, the data model defined by
TV-Anytime has been designed to allow an efficient delivery, versioning and
updating of our data.  This structure (fragmentation, indexing, encoding,
etc) is defined in our metadata specification ETSI TS102822-3/2.   The TVA
data model is fully compatible with the notions of IMG descriptions, Delta
IMG descriptions and IMG pointer identified in the IMG framework. The use of
the TVA model is not restricted and IMG is welcome to adopting it depending
on the level of granularity targeted for the IMG data types and data models
(see IMG needs in Sections 3.1 and 5.3.4).  The experience of TV-Anytime is
that the data model must be sufficiently explicit to further specify the
metadata service mechanisms (see ETSI TS102822-6/1/2).

	6/ Service discovery over bi-directional networks, commands and
protocols can be found in ETSI TS102822-6.  The TVA specification make use
of existing IETF mechanisms.  TVA would certainly welcome feedback from IMG
experts on the solutions proposed in these documents. We look forward to
collaborating with IMG to maintain / enhance compatibility. Furthermore, TVA
defines service discovery mechanisms initiated by a client request for
metadata services but there is no reason why TVA could not take benefit from
permanent connection or access e.g. multicast to "pushed" data. In TVA,
service discovery is made using UDDI or WSDL and WS-Inspection.  Once a
metadata service has been "discovered", the domain of operation is the
metadata service domain.

	7/ Security is addressed in ETSI TS102822-7. TV-Anytime has
specified basic security mechanisms for the exchange of metadata over
bi-driectional networks based on IETF TLS (Transport Layer Security).

	8/ TVA supports the IMG requirements with the exception of one or
two minor request for clarification to be reported hereafter.  More
importantly,  the concurrence of the IMG framework and requirements with
what TVA has done (Phase 1 plus Phase 2 covering a wide range of application
and content types) encourages us in more collaboration with IMG in
particular contributing to draft-luoma-mmusic-img-metadata-03 with our data
model.

	9/ Suggestions on the content orientated use cases in IMG
requirements 
	TVA Phase 1 definitely covers 4.2.2 TV and radio programme delivery,
4.2.3 media coverage of a live event and  4.2.4 distance learning. One could
certainly add more use cases such as "Trailer booking and recording", "Use
of segmented content for content updates, content replacement for e.g.
targeted advertising, and virtual programmes", "Discovery and access to
related programmes", etc.

	10/ Review of the IMG requirements and comments 
	REQ GEN-1: The TVA data model is compliant with the IMG framework
and associated requirements.  SP003 defines self-contained common document
structure being considered as a candidate for IMG metadata format. It has a
single top-level element that encloses all other TV-Anytime metadata.  TVA
can be transported efficiently by fragmenting descriptions and sequential
delivery of description tables clearly identified by their version for
updating, replacement or deletion.

	REQ GEN-2: TVA anytime Phase 1 covers a wide range of applications
as mentioned above.  Phase 2 will further enlarge the scope of application
of TVA data.  IMG SHOULD support these.

	REQ GEN-3: SP003 defines the identifier that specifies the name of
the publisher of the description. This offers the base for some mechanisms
to solve issues related to simultaneous access to multiple IMG senders.  

	REQ DEL-2: SP003 defines identification scheme to identify
particular version of a metadata fragment.  TVA anytime data fragmentation
takes into account the need for efficient delivery and management of update
in combination with BiM encoding.

	REQ DEL-3: The TVA data model has been designed to deliver data to
large audiences 
	REQ DEL-4: SP006 has allows to expand metadata descriptions based on
the TVA versioning and notification schemes.  The TVA approach described in
TS102822-6 is based on service discovery initiated by a client but could
also take benefit of permanent, although possibly intermittent, connections.
The fragmentation and indexing of TVA data allows small quantities of
reliably connected carouselled data being transmitted including over
intermittent connections.  Descriptions are reconstructed after reception
once the system has been signalled that all description elements have been
received.

	REQ DEL-5: See REQ DEL-4 

	REQ DEL-6: TV-Anytime queries are currently client initiated.  The
problem of time limited validity of pushed data remains to be addressed (TVA
Phase 2).

	REQ DEL-7: Sender driven aspects will be addressed in TVA Phase 2
for compliance with IMG requirements. 

	REQ CUS-1: SP006 defines schemes for submission of user-centric
metadata to metadata service providers and retrieval of customised data.
Sender-driven uni/multicast delivery of customized metadata descriptions
will be addressed in TVA Phase 2 for compliance with IMG requirements.

	REQ REL-1: SP003 defines an identification scheme to identify and
manage a particular version of a metadata fragment, which can be a complete
description or a description subset.

	REQ REL-3: SP006 uses http as a base for bi-directional metadata
retrieval. 

	REQ DES-1: This issue is particularly sensitive in the case of
simultaneous access to multiple IMG senders.  This is being addressed in TVA
Phase 2.  However, TVA believes that the metadata provided by different
sources is under the responsability of one authority that manages versions
of this data.

	REQ DES-2: Absolutely necessary and TVA is ready to help in order to
ensure that this apply to all TVA's domains of application.

	REQ DES-3: TVA would like to suggest a clarification of this
requirements with the need expressed in the IMG framework document for an
IMG minimum data model.

	REQ DES-4: SP003 defines self-contained common document structure
that  has a single top-level element that encloses all or part of TV-Anytime
metadata.  The different metadata tables can be transmitted in separate
fragments.

	REQ DES-5: Agreed.  In the case of TV-Anytime, the envelope must
contain all the parameters essential to the management of TVA Main and
associated fragments.

	REQ DES-6: TV-Anytime should be one of the identifiable metadata
formats. 

	REQ DES-7: no comment 

	As concerns the requirements security mentioned in Section 6, TVA
only defines very generic scheme for establishing secure authentication
channel between metadata sender and receiver (TS 102822-7). 

	
**********************************************************************
	This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
	intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
	are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify
	the system manager.

---

From: "Evain Jean-Pierre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:31:33 +0100

Hello Rod,
 
as announced earlier...
 
General:  Only one question on the metadata model.  I have seen a first
draft from Oomu.  Isn't it within MMUSIC? If not, can you tell me more?
 
Requirements:
 
R2: Trailer booking for instance is not based on the use of a schedule.  It
should be possible e.g. to book the recording of a piece of content from a
trailer proposed on the website.  Full content would be recorded when ready
for streaming (e.g. Unicast following this client request).  The same
schemes as for broadactsing should apply to multicast.  I'll try to provide
you with some text next week.
 
R5: seems to respond to the point at this stage
 
Framework:
 
F1: okay
 
F2: 
I don't see why you shouldn't list them all.  Each of them is relevant ot my
comments and to the IMG requirements and frameowkr at one moment or another.
What woul be the problem with a more comprehensive list of references?
Generic specification name: 
ETSI-TS 102 822; Broadcast and On-line services: Search, select, and 
rightful use of content on personal storage systems 
Identification of specification parts and sub-parts: 
ETSI-TS 102 822-1: Phase 1 Benchmark Features 
ETSI-TS 102 822-2: System Description 
ETSI-TS 102 822-3/1: Metadata Schemas 
ETSI-TS 102 822-3/2: Metadata System Aspects (Fragmentation, indexing,
encoding) 
ETSI-TS 102 822-4: Content Referencing 
ETSI-TS 102 822-6/1: Metadata Services over a Bidirectional Network -
Service and transport 
ETSI-TS 102 822-6/1: Metadata Services over a Bidirectional Network -
Service Discovery 
ETSI TS 102 822-7: Bidirectional Metadata Delivery Protection 

F3:
Thanks, it is not Oomu but Luoma (sorry).  Where will the work on the
metadata model continue?
 
F5
I'll seek advice within TVA from the colleague who proposed this particular
comment.
 
Regards,
 
Jean-Pierre

	-----Original Message-----
	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: mercredi, 28. janvier 2004 15:18
	To: Evain Jean-Pierre; [email-masked]
	Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] TVA comments on the framework and requirements

	Hi All
	 
	Here is my summary (paraphrasing) of the TVA input which relates
(only) to document review and request for changes (with suggested text).
	 
	Jean-Pierre, can you validate this and check that the proposed
changes are suitable?
	 
	General:
	 
	G1. Both documents are in great shape and cover TVA ideas, use cases
& objectives very well
	 
	G2. TVA would like to ensure that their system fits into the IMG
framework. TVA wish to work with us to develop and exchange ideas to do this
- i.e. specify the protocols for delivery (service discovery/announcement)
possibly in MMUSIC, as well as data models (which would be outside of MMUSIC
charter)

	Requirements:

	No changes needed

	TVA Phase 1 definitely covers 4.2.2 TV and radio programme delivery,
4.2.3 media coverage of a live event and  4.2.4 distance learning. One could
certainly add more use cases such as "Trailer booking and recording", "Use
of segmented content for content updates, content replacement for e.g.
targeted advertising, and virtual programmes", "Discovery and access to
related programmes", etc.   TVA Phase 2 will enrich these cases by the use
of media packages encompassing more content formats than audio, video and
related ancillary data.
	 
	Indeed there are many use cases beyond those given in this document.
I propose that no changes are made, however if your experience is that
certain TVA use cases have a strong impact (which is different from the
existing IMG use cases) on metadata delivery (rather than the metadata
itself), I would be keen to add just these. Are there such use cases? Does
this sound OK?
	 
	R3. REQ DEL-3: The TVA data model has been designed to deliver data
to large audiences <However, TVA does not currently specify IP delivery with
massive scalability (such as one-to-very-many multicast) and so this is an
open requirement for TVA too>
	 
	No changes needed
	 
	R4. REQ DEL-6: TV-Anytime queries are currently client initiated.
The problem of time limited validity of pushed data remains to be addressed
(TVA Phase 2) <and so this is an open requirement for TVA too>
	 
	No changes needed
	 
	R5. REQ DES-3: TVA would like to suggest a clarification of this
requirements with the need expressed in the IMG framework document for an
IMG minimum data model.
	 
	    REQ DES-3: Whereas specific applications relying on IMGs will
need to
	   select one or more specific application-specific metadata formats
	   (standard, syntax, etc.), the IMG system MUST be independent of
this
	   (it may be aware, but it will operate in the same way for all).
	
	   Thus, a transfer envelope format, that is uniform across all
	   different application-specific IMG metadata formats, is needed.
The
	   payload of this transfer envelope would be some
application-specific
	   metadata.
	
	-- change to ->
	 
	    REQ DES-3: Whereas specific applications relying on IMGs will
need to
	   select one or more specific application-specific metadata formats
	   (standard, syntax, etc.), the IMG system MUST be independent of
this
	   (it may be aware, but it will operate in the same way for all).
	
	   Thus, a transfer envelope format, that is uniform across all
	   different application-specific IMG metadata formats, is needed.
The
	   payload of this transfer envelope would be some
application-specific
	   metadata, and the envelope would support the maintenance of the 
	   application-specific metadata including the metadata
relationships 
	   determined by the data model(s) used. The transfer envelope would

	R6. REQ DES-6: TV-Anytime should be one of the identifiable metadata
formats.
	   REQ DES-6: It SHALL be possible to deduce the metadata format
from
	   the transfer envelope.
	In a sense, all metadata formats will be identifiable. The solution
would need to allow "a metadata application" to recognise a data field as
"recognised from this list or not recognised". The delivery itself must be
independent of metadata format.
	 
	No changes needed.
	 
	R7. As concerns the requirements security mentioned in Section 6,
TVA only defines very generic scheme for establishing secure authentication
channel between metadata sender and receiver (TS 102822-7). 
	 
	No changes needed.

	Framework:
	 
	F1. The role of TVA needs clarification §5.1, which maybe achieved
by:
	 
	   MPEG-7 [6] is a collection of XML-based description tools for
general
	   multimedia content including structured multimedia sessions. TV-
	   Anytime Forum [7] provides descriptions based on MPEG-7 for TV
	   specific program guides. These are likely to be limited to
describe
	   pictures, music and movies, thus it may be necessary to extend
these
	   descriptions in order to define a variety of documents, game
	   programs, binary files, live events and so on.
	
	-- change to ->
	 
	   MPEG-7 [6] is a collection of XML-based description tools for
general
	   multimedia content including structured multimedia sessions. 
	   
	   The TV-Anytime Forum [7] provides descriptions based on XML
schema 
	   for TV-specific program guides. TV-Anytime uses the MPEG-7 User 
	   description profile to a limited extent (for user preferences and

	   usage history) and also a TV-Anytime-specific data model for
other 
	   schema - which are optimised to describe broadcast schedules, 
	   on-demand programme guides and programme events.
	 
	Also, it the following is noted although not necessary to paste into
the framework:
	 
	The domain of application of TVA Phase 1 is unidirectional broadcast

	F2. A more specific referencing of TVA [7] is desirable, which may
be achieved by:

	
	-- change to ->

	F3. The complete, delta and pointer data types are supported by TVA
metadata
	 
	(Note, since the framework does not recommend that MMUSIC works on
the data model, I will leave related responses to a later email - it seems
that the information data model submission from Luoma and the TVA data
models should work well together and transport of TVA metadata over IMG
delivery protocols is a natural fit)
	 
	No changes needed
	 
	F4. TVA has not specified a unidirectional transport mechanism for
TVA metadata so agrees with the proposal that an IP-based solution is
developed (not SAP)
	 
	No changes needed
	 
	F5. TVA has developed some solutions for point-to-point unicast
metadata delivery with HTTP, TLS, .... These will be interesting to scoping
the needed work for point-to-point IMG delivery (what can be reused) and
also subsequent point-to-point protocol work.
	 
	Open issue: we could describe and determine limitations and reuse of
these in §5. (Proposed text is welcome!)

	Cheers, Rod.