Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] Accept wew work item:draft-hautakorpi-mmusic-sdp-media-content-01.txt?

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:17:23 +0300

Hi,
I think that being able to add semantic is very important and would like
to see it as a new working group item.

The  usage as Joerg points out is for enabling a terminal to know how to
handle different streams of the same type (audio or video) based on
defined semantics.

Thanks
Roni even

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Joerg Ott
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 3:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Colin Perkins; [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] Accept wew work
item:draft-hautakorpi-mmusic-sdp-media-content-01.txt?

Folks,

at the last IETF, we had some discussion of
draft-hautakorpi-mmusic-sdp-media-content-01.txt entitled "The SDP
(Session Description Protocol) Content Attribute"
and it appeared to be considered generally useful.

It definitely poses a couple of questions on where to draw the line in
"semantic" descriptions of media streams in SDP.

An interesting aspect to bear in mind is that we are already capable of
labeling media streams and thus can, in principle, assign semantics by
means of a conference control protocol developed in XCON or some other
external means.

However, the scope of semantic identification of the purposes of
individual m= lines is valuable beyond conferencing scenarios (e.g., in
the case of media streaming with several streams of the same media type,
among others).  So, there appears value in a conferencing-independent
approach.

This is a poll to whether or not the MMUSIC WG should consider this
problem as "its own" and create a working group document for this
purpose -- which includes a commitment from the group to put effort into
this.  The WG draft may be based upon the input received so far from the
authors of the above individual submission but further contributors are
encouraged if we decide to take this up.

Please comment to the list.

Thanks,
Joerg

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:02:19 +0200

Folks,

from the comments that were made to the list, the chairs conclude
that there is interest and justification in pursuing this individual
draft as an MMUSIC work item.

The discussion has also shown that a delineation of this work
from what is done in e.g. XCON is needed.  The authors are encouraged
to ensure a well-defined scope and define the relationship to and
difference from the work pursued in XCON.

The chairs will take up the necessary actions with the ADs.

Cheers,
Joerg