Subject: [MMUSIC] Protocol Action: 'Session Description Protocol (SDP) Source Filters' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:35:17 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Session Description Protocol (SDP) Source Filters '
   <draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-srcfilter-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-srcfilter-10.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document defines a "source filter" attribute for the Session Description 
protocol (SDP) which provides IP address-based filtering for media sessions. 
Recipients of an SDP message containing the source filter attribute will allow 
or deny media as appropriate given the origination IP address of the media. This
mechanism is not intended to be used in SDP offer/answer cases (such as SIP), 
but has significant applicability to multicast cases. The limitations of 
address-based filtering as a security mechanism are highlighted in the document.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The MMUSIC WG supported the advancement of this document. Previous efforts to 
define a similar address-based filtering mechanism that applied to offer/answer 
ases, however, were unable to get the consensus of the group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic