Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP >1.0 version number

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:54:52 +0200

Hi Joe,

I agree with your analysis that RTSP update should use 2.0 rather than 
1.1. Does anyone have a problem with performing that change? I am sorry 
for not having researched this sufficiently.

The reasons as I see it that we need to change to 2.0 rather than 1.1 is 
the following rules:

No existing header syntax shall be changed in minor version updates:
This is done in the transport header and also some other cases. Certain 
cases is simple clarifications but which had clear ambiguities in 
previous version.

An 1.1 message stripped of all 1.1 additions shall be a valid 1.0 
message: That is not possible as an RTSP 1.0 transport header can't be 
used due to ambiguities, even if we would move all extensions to a new 
1.1 transport extension header.

I don't think there are any major reasons why we can't make the change. 
Question is how ALGs, Proxies etc would treat RTSP 2.0. However not 
understanding it is probably a good thing.

So please yell before Friday or I will submit an updated version that 
contains version 2.0 rather than 1.1.

Cheers

Magnus

Joe Pallas wrote:
> After reading RFC 2145 on "Use and Interpretation of HTTP Version  
> Numbers," I'm unclear on what the intention is for version numbers in  
> RTSP.  Since much of RTSP is modeled on HTTP, I was assuming that  
> version numbering would follow the same model.  This is certainly  
> implied by the citation of [H3.1].
> 
> Since the new draft changes the interpretation of existing RTSP 1.0  
> header fields, it seems the principles spelled out in RFC 2145 would  
> require designating the protocol RTSP 2.0.
> 
> If there's some compelling reason not to do that, then the citation  to 
> [H3.1] definitely needs an explanation of the divergence.
> 
> joe
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> mmusic mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic