Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE question: Authentication of errors ?

From: Rémi Denis-Courmont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:08:50 +0300

Hello,

It is not clear to me whether/when should STUN Binding Error Responses need to 
be authenticated (in ICE context or otherwise). RFC3489bis seems to imply 
that only succesful Binding Responses are authenticated using 
MESSAGE-INTEGRITY...

So so, is the 96-bits transaction ID sufficient for authenticating, say Role 
conflict errors? I would assume YES, since only a MITM can learn the 
pseudo-random transaction ID, and an MITM can DoS the media in any case.

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 10:08:02 -0400

The idea is that all errors except for a few related to lack of 
available credentials, should be authenticated. Otherwise an attacker 
can inject fake error responses. They would only need to inspect the 
request to learn the transaction ID.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com