Subject: [MMUSIC] draft-ietf-mmusic-file-transfer-mech-02::Clarification for "file transfer" from "file attached to IM",

From: Mahesh Anjanappa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:57:00 +0530

hi Miguel
Please elaborate on what you mean by following two excerpts in Sec 1 of the draft-ietf-mmusic-file-transfer-mech-02.

1. "With MSRP it is possible to embed files as MIME objects inside the stream of instant messages. "

2." The recipient MUST be able to distinguish "file transfer" from "file attached to IM", allowing 
        the recipient to treat the cases differently."

regards
Mahesh
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:46:03 +0300

Hi Majesh,

thanks for your comment. Inline answers.

Mahesh Anjanappa wrote:
> hi Miguel
> Please elaborate on what you mean by following two excerpts in Sec 1 of 
> the draft-ietf-mmusic-file-transfer-mech-02.
>  

The sentence is trying to say that *without* this draft, it is already 
possible to establish a session of instant messages. MSRP SEND requests 
can carry a text message or they can carry a MIME object that contains a 
file (think of an image). So, this draft is not bringing the capability 
of transmitting files in MSRP, which is already part of the vanilla MSRP 
draft.

>         the recipient to treat the cases differently."

So, here, by "file transfer" we mean the offer/answer exchange that 
allows the answerer to accept or reject a file operation before it 
actually takes place.

The "file attached to IM" refers to the previous point: an MSRP SEND 
request can carry either some text or a file.

BR,

        Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Siemens Networks     Helsinki, Finland