Subject: [MMUSIC] A few small questions on ICE-17

From: "Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:46:21 +0200

Hi,

1. To my understanding, ICE is a "STUN usage" (as per 3489bis-07), but
that sentence is not used anywhere in the document. Is there a reason
for that?

2. ICE says that the Binding request is constructed "as defined in
3489bis", but 3489bis says that the different usage defines which
headers are used. So,  I assume that ICE does say (directly or
indirectly) which STUN headers etc shall be used.

3. 3489bis says that the different usages shall define how the addresses
of the STUN servers etc are retrieved. Maybe I've missed it, but does
ICE specify that?

Regards,

Christer
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:57:13 -0400

inline.

> that sentence is not used anywhere in the document. Is there a reason 

"usage" isn't a formalism anymore; so the fact that ICE uses STUN is all 
that is needed to make it a usage. The ICE spec is pretty clear that it 
uses STUN.

> indirectly) which STUN headers etc shall be used.

It does.

> of the STUN servers etc are retrieved. Maybe I've missed it, but does 

It says it assumes its configured in some way but doesn't specify how, 
for the address gathering step. For connectivity checks obviously that 
is learned through the SDP.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: "Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:09:26 +0200

Hi, 

>"usage" isn't a formalism anymore; so the fact that ICE uses 
>STUN is all that is needed to make it a usage. The ICE spec 
>is pretty clear that it uses STUN.

Yes. My question we why the term wasn't used. Blah blah blah "ICE is a
STUN usage, as defiend in 3489bis, and it uses STUN for blah blah
blah...".

But, it is true that it is clear even without text.

>>indirectly) which STUN headers etc shall be used.

Ok.

>>3. 3489bis says that the different usages shall define how the 
>>addresses of the STUN servers etc are retrieved. Maybe I've missed it,

>>but does ICE specify that?
> 
>It says it assumes its configured in some way but doesn't 
>specify how, for the address gathering step.

Ok. So, saying "it is configured in some way" is enough to fulfil the
3489bis "requirement"?

>For connectivity checks obviously that is learned through the SDP.

Yes. I was thinking about the STUN servers used to gather the addresses.

Thanks!

Regards,

Christer