Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] NICE: scope and terminology

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 21:34:53 +0200

Hi,
 
I think it would also be good to get some feedback about how/if ICE really works/interop for SIP, before we start "profiling" it for other protocols...
 
Regards,
 
Christer

________________________________

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Magnus Westerlund
Sent: Fri 30/05/2008 21:41
To: Jonathan Rosenberg
Cc: mmusic; Philip Matthews; Gonzalo Camarillo
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] NICE: scope and terminology

Jonathan Rosenberg skrev:
> Not a lot was clear from last IETF on the direction here, but one thing
> that WAS clear was that people did not want a subset or change in ICE,
> just rather something that would help us avoid the problem of each
> protocol defining their own ICE usage.
>
> MY worry is that may happen anyway if each protocol decides that, it
> doesn't like or doesn't want parts of the spec. So I'd really like to
> turn the question around, and ask the folks working on HIP, RTSP, MIP or
> whoever else is thinking of using ICE - what would you find it useful
> for this draft to do, such that it would eliminate the need for you to
> have lots of ICE-specific text?

I think you are correct that there are variations here. That is why I
think NICE is very difficult. Each different protocol will have to
operate slightly different to make things work.

There is also the issue of message pacing that needs to be clarified for
non-SIP usage. Especially the ones that doesn't have a RTP flow.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Färögatan 6                | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic