Subject: [MMUSIC] TCP simultaenous open

From: Rémi Denis-Courmont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:46:00 +0300

Hello,

Unfortunately, I could not make it to the MMUSIC session. Reading the ICE-TCP 
slides, there was an open issue that Windows XP might not support TCP 
simultaenous open.

Now, I am _not_ a Windows expert (has anyone asked, say Dave Thaler or another 
Microsoft guy at IETF?). But, I can confirm that TCP-SO does not seem to work 
quite right. Trying to get a (statefully firewalled) Linux box to talk to a 
Windows XP box... I could open both active and passive sockets on the same 
port, but it seemed like the incoming connections could not be dequeued from 
the passive socket. Even though everything was fine on the wire, and the 
Linux box reported successful connection establishment.

Now, I could have gotten things wrong, but if not, I would say it's time to 
burry the TCP-SO idea for good :/

Regards,

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Maemo Software, Nokia Devices R&D
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:54:22 -0400

I think we need to give up on the idea that we're going to find a single 
solution for TCP NAT traversal that works on all platforms.  TCP-SO is 
great when it works.  If you're on a platform that doesn't support it, 
don't offer a TCP-SO candidate.  The same goes for teredo or any other 
type of candidate.  The fact that Windows XP doesn't support TCP-SO 
isn't that important to the many systems that do support it (and many, 
many deployments will consist entirely of platforms other than windows xp).

Bruce