Subject: [MMUSIC] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-16.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:15:01 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

    Title         : An Extension to the Session Description Protocol (SDP) for Media Loopback 
    Author(s)     : C. Sivachelvan, et al
    Filename      : draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-16.txt
    Pages         : 32
    Date          : 2011-09-15
    
 The wide deployment of Voice over IP (VoIP), Real-time Text and 
    Video over IP services has introduced new challenges in managing 
    and maintaining voice/real-time Text/video quality, reliability, 
    and overall performance.  In particular, media delivery is an area 
    that needs attention.  One method of meeting these challenges is 
    monitoring the media delivery performance by looping media back to 
    the transmitter.  This is typically referred to as "active 
    monitoring" of services.   Media loopback is especially popular in 
    ensuring the quality of transport to the edge of a given VoIP, 
    Real-time Text or Video over IP service.  Today in networks that 
    deliver real-time media, short of running 'ping' and 'traceroute' 
    to the edge, service providers are left without the necessary tools 
    to actively monitor, manage, and diagnose quality issues with their 
    service.  The extension defined herein adds new SDP media 
    attributes which enables establishment of media sessions where the 
    media is looped back to the transmitter. Such media sessions will 
    serve as monitoring and troubleshooting tools by providing the 
    means for measurement of more advanced VoIP, Real-time Text and 
    Video over IP performance metrics. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-16.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.