Subject: [MMUSIC] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mmusic-latching-05.txt> (Latching: Hosted NAT Traversal (HNT) for Media in Real-Time Communication) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 12:29:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiparty Multimedia Session
Control WG (mmusic) to consider the following document:
- 'Latching: Hosted NAT Traversal (HNT) for Media in Real-Time
   Communication'
  <draft-ietf-mmusic-latching-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-05-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes behavior of signalling intermediaries in
   Real-Time Communication (RTC) deployments, sometimes referred to as
   Session Border Controllers (SBCs), when performing Hosted NAT
   Traversal (HNT).  HNT is a set of mechanisms, such as media relaying
   and latching, that such intermediaries use to enable other RTC
   devices behind NATs to communicate with each other.

   This document is non-normative, and is only written to explain HNT in
   order to provide a reference to the IETF community, as well as an
   informative description to manufacturers, and users.

   Latching, which is one of the components of the HNT components, has a
   number of security issues covered here.  Because of those, and unless
   all security considerations explained here are taken into account and
   solved, the IETF advises against use of this mechanism over the
   Internet and recommends other solutions such as the Interactive
   Connectivity Establishment (ICE) protocol.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-latching/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-latching/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.