Subject: [MMUSIC] MMUSIC plan for progressing simulcast and related work

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 10:30:01 -0400

Greetings MMUSIC

Earlier this week, we had a virtual interim meeting on simulcast. One of 
the reasons for this meeting was that we have been informed, that W3C 
has a dependency on the simulcast work for the upcoming WebRTC 1.0, and 
MMUSIC itself has a milestone for the simulcast work in January (2016), 
both of which are approaching quite rapidly. The simulcast draft 
(draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-simulcast) has been around for some time and is 
now complemented by the rid draft ( draft-pthatcher-mmusic-rid) to 
address concerns around payload type exhaustion. We haven't seen any 
major comments on the simulcast draft in a while however we understand 
the draft authors will be submitting an update for Yokohama. Based on 
the virtual interim meeting, while there were some questions raised on 
the rid draft, there seemed to be good support for the rid-draft 
overall. The rid-draft authors have subsequently submitted an updated 
document to try and address those questions.

Based on all of this, we plan to proceed the simulcast work as follows:

1. Wait for updated simulcast draft to be submitted (before IETF 
94/Yokohama deadline).

2. If the simulcast draft authors believe it is ready for WGLC, then 
issue WGLC (prior to IETF 94).

3. Issue a call for WG adoption of draft-pthatcher-mmusic-rid
4. Discuss any open issues raised on either draft in Yokohama
5. Update the drafts post-Yokohoma to address any open issues discussed
6. Issue WGLC on the rid-draft if it and related mechanisms in simulcast 
are ready (may include a second WGLC on simulcast draft).

Thanks

     Flemming & Ari (as MMUSIC co-chairs)