Subject: [MMUSIC] Updated MMUSIC Charter

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:56:57 -0400

Greetings MMUSIC

Below you will find our proposed charter update for MMUSIC. Please let 
us know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks

     Flemming & Bo (MMUSIC co-chairs)

<charter>
The Multiparty MUltimedia SessIon Control (MMUSIC) Working Group was 
originally chartered to develop protocols to support Internet 
teleconferencing and multimedia communications. These protocols are now 
reasonably mature, and many have received widespread deployment. 
Currently, the group is focused on using and negotiating media streams 
with the Session Description Protocol (SDP), which is used as a common 
protocol to express media and session descriptions. The group also 
maintains the Real-time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) specifications.

The group has revised these protocols in the light of implementation 
experience and additional demands that have arisen from other WGs (such 
as AVTCORE, CLUE, ICE, and RTCWEB). In particular, the many uses of SDP 
have led to requests for numerous extensions as well as a recognition of 
several limitations in the original protocol design. Today, the SDP 
protocol is widely deployed and continues to see extensions being defined.

The current aims of the working group include the following:

- Provide SDP signaling support for the Interactive Connectivity 
Establishment (ICE) protocol and its extensions. These were originally 
defined in MMUSIC, but are now handled by the ICE WG.
- To support the establishment of multi-party multimedia sessions for 
RTCWEB based implementations, MMUSIC provides SDP signaling support for 
a number of extensions required by RTCWEB. The MMUSIC WG will seek a 
balanced trade-off between general applicability of such extensions 
versus RTCWEB specific usage.
- Various other extensions to SDP may be pursued to remedy the most 
urgent of SDP's shortcomings. These include updates to the SDP 
specification itself and missing IANA registrations.
- With the exception of the items listed above, only extensions within 
the existing SDP framework will be done.
- Maintain the specification of the (revised) Real Time Streaming 
Protocol (RTSP) as needed.

The MMUSIC work items will be pursued in close coordination with other 
IETF WGs including AVTCORE, CLUE, ICE, RTCWEB and SIPCORE, as well as 
others where appropriate.

Milestones

Jun 2016    Using the SDP Offer/Answer Mechanism for DTLS
draft-ietf-mmusic-dtls-sdp-00

Jan 2016    Submit Using Simulcast in SDP and RTP Sessions as Proposed 
Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-simulcast-02

Mar 2016    Submit MSRP over Data Channels as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel-02

Dec 2015    Submit SDP Negotiation of DataChannel sub-protocols as 
Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-data-channel-sdpneg-05

Nov 2015    Submit IANA registrations of SDP 'proto' attribute for 
transporting RTP Media over TCP under various RTP profiles as Proposed 
Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-proto-iana-registration-02

Feb 2016    Submit ICE with SDP Offer/Answer and SIP as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-sip-sdp

Mar 2016    Submit revised SDP specification to IETF as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis

Feb 2016    Submit SIP usage for Trickle ICE as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice-sip

Jan 2016    Submit SCTP-Based Media Transport in SDP as Proposed Standard.
draft-ietf-mmusic-sctp-sdp

Nov 2015    Submit SDP extensions to negotiate multiplexed media streams 
as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation

Nov 2015    Submit a framework for SDP attributes when multiplexing as 
Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-mux-attributes

Oct 2015    Submit SDP extension for cross session stream identification 
as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-mmusic-msid
</charter>