Subject: Protocol Action: Reverse Tunneling for Mobile IP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:04:33 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Reverse Tunneling for Mobile
IP' <draft-ietf-mobileip-tunnel-reverse-06.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IP Routing for
Wireless/Mobile Hosts Working Group.  The IESG contact person is Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
 Mobile IP uses triangular forwarding (through home agents) for correspondant
 hosts talking to mobile hosts.  However, messages from mobile hosts are
 normally sent directly from the mobile host to the correspondent host, but
 use the mobile hosts home address.  This means that packets are being sent
 with a source address that edoes not correspond to their toplogical source.
 In many cases this is not a problem.  In many other cases, the mobile host
 can use its local (care of) address to resolve such problems.  However, in
 some cases neither of these solutions will work.  This document describes a
 technique by which the mobile host can tunnel its packets back to its home
 network for transmission.  This technique is particularly important if the
 home network uses private address space, although there are also other cases
 that it applies to.  The document explicitly deals with the security issues
 of these techniques.

Working Group Summary

 The working group supports the advancement of this document without dissent.

Protocol Quality

 This document has been reviewed by Joel M. Halpern for the IESG.  It is a
 sound document specifying a useful extension to the Mobile IP protocol.