Subject: (mobile-ip) Mobile-IP Layers

From: Baher Esmat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 16:54:19 +0300

Hi all,	
	Concerning the conventional TCP/IP layering scheme, there was the
Transport layer lying up to the Internet layer... If we switch to the
Mobile-IP architecture, and assuming that our applications as well as the
physical media are the same, what changes may happen to the Transport
layer??? 
Thanks...

____________________________________________________
Baher A. Esmat
Communications & Networking Department
IDSC/RITSEC
11A Hassan Sabry st. Zamalek
Cairo - Egypt
Tel. 202-3391375
Fax. 202-3412139
E-mail [email-masked] 		                	

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]

---

From: Gerald Maguire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:04:46 +0200 (MET DST)

The whole point of doing Mobile IP at the network layers is that
nothing above it has to change (from a functionality point of view).
There are cases where the higher layers will want to be aware of the
change in bandwidth, delay, ... - but this is currently outside the
scope of Mobile IP it just gets the packets to the mobile (like any
good network layer should).

Note that there are various proposals for transport layer changes to
avoid performance problems when your links change characteristic, such
as when the error rate of a link (typically the last hop) changes
significantly.

Chip

---

From: Zhigang Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:20:36 -0500 (CDT)

I don't think there is a need to change the transport layer
in mobile-ip. The only change should be made in IP layer.
Isn't that a way the layered protocol engineering should be?

Zhigang