Subject: (mobile-ip) Re: (IPng 5380) New version of Mobile IPv6 draft submitted

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:40:40 -0500

>Dave
>
>I haven't been keeping up with this as well as I should.  Can you tell me
>if mobile IPv6 still requires that all implementations support the mobile
>bindings cache, as was previously proposed.  I remember that this cause
>some controversy at the time and wondered if it had ever been resolved?
>
>
>Peter
>TICL

Peter,

The complete MAY/SHOULD/MUST requirements for Mobile IPv6 are
specified in Section 7 of the draft (draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-05.txt).
In the case of the Binding Cache, we have

    -  Every IPv6 node SHOULD be able to process a Binding Update option
       received in a packet, and to return a Binding Acknowledgement
       option if requested.

    -  Every IPv6 node SHOULD be able to maintain a Binding Cache of the
       bindings received in accepted Binding Updates.

The only MUST requirement that applies to ALL IPv6 nodes is

    -  Every IPv6 node MUST be able to process a Home Address option
       received in a packet.

Note that this requirement applies to ALL IPv6 nodes, whether host or
router, whether mobile or stationary.  This is required in order to
receive a packet sent by a mobile node while the sender is away from
home.

					Dave
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]