Subject: (mobile-ip) binding update in ipv6

From: John Williams FLOROIU <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:40:19 +0200

Hi,

Could anyone explain me, how does a HA (or a correspondent node) manage
to learn the MN home address from a binding update message (I am
referring to draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-03), so that it could
appropriately update the binding cache ?
A binding update message contains only the Home Link-Local Address
(which can actually be learned by the HA from the link-layer source
address of a binding update sent by the just returned MN), while the IP
source address is a MN care-of address.
Am I missing something ?

Regards,
John.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]

---

From: John Williams FLOROIU <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:37:39 +0200

> source address is a MN care-of address.

Not the case anymore. There was an ipv6-02 and ipv6-03 mixture in my
mind. I was missing something, indeed.

---

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:56:10 -0500

>mind. I was missing something, indeed.

Sorry for not replying when you first asked (I've been busy working
on ipv6-04!), but it looks like you figured it out on your own, any way.
Just in case there's still confusion, the home address for a Binding
Update comes from the Home Address option that must also be in the
packet.  The care-of address for the Binding Update, by the way,
normally comes from Source Address in the IPv6 header of the packet.

					Dave