Subject: (mobile-ip) New version of Mobile IPv6 draft submitted

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:23:49 -0500

On Friday, I submitted a revised version of the Internet-Draft
specifying Mobile IP for IPv6.  This version of the draft is close to
the final specification and represents the rough consensus of the
Mobile IP working group.  We expect to go to Last Call soon, although
some minor issues still need to be addressed in the draft.  The draft
is now working its way through the Internet-Draft publication process
and an official announcement for it will come out at some point, but
here is an early unofficial announcement:

        Title           : Mobility Support in IPv6
        Author(s)       : David B. Johnson, Charles Perkins
        Filename        : draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-05.txt
        Pages           : 72
        Date            : 13-Mar-98

   This document specifies the operation of mobile computers using IPv6.
   Each mobile node is always identified by its home address, regardless
   of its current point of attachment to the Internet.  While situated
   away from its home, a mobile node is also associated with a care-of
   address, which provides information about the mobile node's current
   location.  IPv6 packets addressed to a mobile node's home address are
   transparently routed to its care-of address.  The protocol enables
   IPv6 nodes to cache the binding of a mobile node's home address with
   its care-of address, and to then send any packets destined for the
   mobile node directly to it at this care-of address.

Once the official announcement gets issued, copies of the draft will
be available from the usual places.  Until then, if you'd like a copy
now, it is available by FTP on our server.  The URL is:

    ftp://ftp.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/pub/internet-drafts/
            draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-05.txt

					Dave
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:55:55 -0500

>Hi Dave,
>
>At which rate does exactly a MH send Binding Updates to its CHs 
>in Mobile IPv6 in the normal case (no Ack is required from the CHs)?
>
>In the ID, it is mentioned that "A mobile node MAY send a Binding
>Update to any correspondant node at any time to allow it to cache its
>current care-of address". What is the typical BU emission frequency?
>Is it MAX_UPDATE_RATE for the first MAX_FAST_UPDATES BUs and then 
>SLOW_UPDATE_RATE ?
>
>Which strategy do you use in your Mobile IPv6 implementation.
>
>Thanks...
>
>Claude.

Mobile nodes don't periodically send Binding Updates to correspondent
nodes.  After acquiring a new care-of address, they would typically 
send only one Binding Update.  This will usually get delivered correctly,
but the protocol is designed to work correctly and to be able to
recover even if this Binding Update gets lost on the network.

					Dave