Subject: (mobile-ip) IPv6 link-local and site-local addresses in mobile-ip

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 08:56:19 -0500

OK, I'm confused again. (But this time because of the IETF meeting!)

Steve Deering's ID on IPv6 addressing says that link-local addresses are
intended for use in things like auto-discovery. It looks to me like not
forwarding packets with these addresses is the right thing to do. So we
got this one right.

It also says that site-local addresses are intended for use at sites
that are not yet connected to the Internet. It looks like not forwarding
these packets is also the right thing to do, because forwarding them
encourages the use of what are effectively private addresses in IPv6. (I
can't wait - IPv6 NAT boxes?) Did we get this one right?

Finally, it seems to me that not forwarding a packet that the mobile
host WOULD have seen at home (1) violates the Principle of Least
Astonishment - the guiding principle up to now is that "being mobile is
just like being at home, right?, and (2) breaks multicast applications
for mobile users at precisely the point in time when we'd like to be
encouraging the use of IP multicast in new applications and
re-engineering of older applications. 

Spencer

Spencer Dawkins, Nortel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]