Subject: (mobile-ip) Deadline Extended: JSAC issue on Wireless Ad Hoc Networks

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 23:47:55 -0400

The submission deadline for the upcoming Special Issue of the IEEE
Journal on Selected Areas in Communications on "Wireless Ad Hoc
Networks" has been extended from May 15 to June 15, 1998.  Due to a
number of recent deadlines for related topics, such as paper submission
for MobiCom'98 (http://www.mobicom98.utdallas.edu), we've decided to
offer this extension to allow everyone the additional time needed to
finish submissions to this issue of JSAC.  I've included a copy of the
original Call for Papers for this Special Issue below, in case you missed
it when first announced.  The CFP can also be found on the web at
http://gump.bellcore.com:5000/Calls/adhoc.html.  For questions about this
Special Issue, please contact Zygmunt Haas at [email-masked].

					Dave

--
David B. Johnson                         [email-masked]
Assistant Professor                      http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dbj/
Computer Science Department              http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/
Carnegie Mellon University               Phone: (412) 268-7399
5000 Forbes Avenue                       Fax: (412) 268-5576
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3891

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                               CALL FOR PAPERS
              IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications

                          WIRELESS AD HOC NETWORKS

Traditional wireless and mobile networks are based on cellular network
infrastructures; mobile nodes communication with centralized entities
(i.e., the base-stations), which serve as point of wireless access to a
fixed network.  In contrast, ad hoc networks represent a different
communication paradigm, which is not dependent on any preexisting
infrastructure.  Thus, ad hoc networks can be rapidly deployed, without
prior planning and in unknown radio propagation conditions.  In ad hoc
networks, communications between adjacent nodes is allowed, giving rise
to multi-hop routing.  The topology of ad hoc networks is distributed.
Nodes in an ad hoc network can migrate freely, joining, leaving, and
rejoining the network often, without warning, and without disruption to
communication between other nodes.  The challenges in the design of
ad hoc networks stem from the lack of centralized entities, from the
multi-hop mode of communication, and from the fact that all communication
is carried over the wireless medium.

Ad hoc networks have long been considered for the military tactical
communication environment under the more familiar name of Packet Radio
Networks.  Recently, however, use of ad hoc networking technology in
commercial systems has been investigated.  For example, one may consider
such applications as law enforcement, rescue missions, virtual
classrooms, or local area networks.

We are seeking papers that describe original and unpublished contributions
addressing various aspects of ad hoc networking technology.  Possible
topics of interest (strictly related to ad hoc networks) include, but are
not limited to:

  + physical layer                    + node implementation
  + MAC schemes                       + energy-conserving protocols
  + self-organizing topologies        + effects on existing protocols
  + routing protocols                 + quality of service
  + mobility management               + multicasting
  + integration with wired networks   + multimedia and traffic integration
  + applications                      + experiments and testbeds
  + security

Prospective authors should prepare their manuscripts in accordance
with the IEEE J-SAC Information for Authors and send five copies to:

                      Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas
                      School of Electrical Engineering
                      Wireless Networks Laboratory
                      323 Frank Rhodes Hall
                      Cornell University
                      Ithaca, NY 14853
                      [email-masked]

The following schedule will apply:

                Paper submission deadline:  May 15, 1998
                      ** Extended to June 15, 1998 **
                Notification of acceptance: September 1, 1998
                Final manuscript due:       October 15, 1998
                Expected publication date:  1st Quarter 1999

Guest Editors for this issue are:

  Prof. Mario Gerla, UCLA
  Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas, Cornell Univ
  Prof. David B. Johnson, CMU
  Mr. Charles E. Perkins, SUN Microsystems
  Prof. Michael B. Pursley, Clemson Univ
  Dr. Martha E. Steenstrup, BBN Technologies
  Dr. C-K. Toh, Hughes Research Labs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]