Subject: RE: (mobile-ip) Wireless LAN Hardware

From: Joe Finney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:31:23 +0100

Hi Carol,

-----Original Message-----
From:	Carol A Byers [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, July 02, 1998 7:04 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	(mobile-ip) Wireless LAN Hardware

Hi,

I trying to set-up a test using mobile-ip with wireless PCMCIA cards on
portible PC's.  Would like to know which cards have Linux drivers ?

As has already been mentioned, Lucent / AT&T WaveLAN equipment is best 
supported, but drivers for the  Xircom netwave are also included in David 
Hinds PCMCIA package. I've also modified the WaveLAN driver to support MAC 
layer roaming - this patch is available as part of the Lancaster IPv6 
Mobility Package:

http://www.cs-ipv6.lancs.ac.uk/MobileIP

Thanks,

Joe
------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Finney                e-mail: [email-masked]
Rm C9 Computing Dept,
SECAMS                    tel:    (+44) (0)1524 593004 office.
Lancaster University
Lancaster,
UK.                       fax:    (+44) (0)1524 593608

LA1 4YR                   www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/staff/joe 
------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]

---

From: Dag Brattli <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Jul 1998 16:28:07 +0200

Joe Finney <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hinds PCMCIA package. 

The Netwave cards (previously Xircom, and last week they were bought by
Bay!) which are supported by Linux is the Netwave Airsurfer! The Netwave
Airsurfer Plus is currently not supported neither in Netwave mode or in
802.11 mode.

But I have just started the implementation for the Airsurfer Plus in 802.11 
mode for Linux. Have most of the low level stuff in place, but I need more
info on the IEEE 802.11 standard. I'm waiting for DHL to show up any day
now so hopefuly I will have it in place before I move to England in august.

It might be a good ida to look at IEEE 802.11 cards since they "may" work at
other places as well.

-- Dag

-- 
   / Dag Brattli        | Department of Computer Science  /
  // Research Fellow    | Faculty of Science             //
 /// Tlf: +47 776 44055 | University of Tromsoe, Norway ///
//// Fax: +47 776 44580 | http://www.cs.uit.no/~dagb   ////
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]