Subject: (mobile-ip) MIP wedded to IPSec

From: David Reeder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:06:20 -0800

Hello--

This is a follow up to the WG meeting Monday.  For those who weren't there:
the last presentation was by John Zao from BBN on a set of control data
packet extentions to allow a MobileIP exchange to negotiate the use of IPsec
transforms during the initial registration process, assuming that such
keys have been preconfigured by KMd magic, or by hand.  Just to be sure:
there is actually and already an implemetnation of MobileIP which uses IPsec
which may be found at:

	http://www.cs.pdx.edu/research/SMN/mip-July97.tar.gz

This implementation does everything presented by John save advertise IPsec
capabilities (which could and proabably should be added).  It does a few
other things in addition to the base MobileIP spec.  The current release
will support authenticated tunnels from the HA to the FA, and supports a
rudimentary form of ad-hoc routing.  Future versions will support multiple
HAs, the establishment of shared secrets using public key cryptography,
and a more sophisticated form of ad hoc routing.  All these things have
been tested, and have been in use for some time as this implementation
serves as the daily network for the developers at PSU.  Release is
dependent on the pesky details of the export laws which can hopefully be
solved someday soon.

For those interested in the notion of using multiple Home Agents to remove
the most sensitive single point of failure in the MobileIP specification,
please see draft-chambless-mobileip-harp-00.txt. 

D. Reeder

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]