Subject: (mobile-ip) doubt about Mobile IPv6 draft

From: "Paolo D'Urso" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:14:44 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

on draft "Mobility Support in IPv6" (draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-05.txt),
section 10.5. (Sending Binding Updates to Correspondent Nodes), on top
of page 55:

   The destination address to which the Binding Update should be sent in
   response to receiving a packet meeting all of the tests above, is the
   Source Address in the original (inner) IPv6 header of the packet.

I interpret the above sentence this way: the destination address to which
the Binding Update should be sent in response to receiving a packet
meeting all of the tests above, is the "correspondent node home address".
In the case that the correspondent node is away from home, this means
that the destination address to which the Binding Update should be sent
is the Source Address of the inner IPv6 header of the packet, after the
processing of the Home Address Option. If thereafter a binding
for the correspondent node home address is present in the binding
cache, the correspondent node care-of address will be used for
delivering the packet. 

Is it right?

The alternative interpretation is: the destination address to which the
Binding Update should be sent is the care-of address used by the
correspondent node (away from home) to send this packet, that is the
Source Address of the original (inner) IPv6 header of the packet as it is
received by the mobile node, prior to the processing of the Home Address
Option. In this case the binding cache is not consulted.

I think the above sentence of the draft could be expanded to become more
clear.

Thanks in advance for your help.
						Paolo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Paolo D'Urso   

e-mail		:  [email-masked]
voice (work)	:  +39 11 228 5424
voice (home)	:  +39 11 3853647
address	(home)	:  via Sarioletto 3, I-25036 Palazzolo sull'Oglio (BS)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]