Subject: (mobile-ip) RFC2290 implementation

From: Lim Lip Yeow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:45:50 +0800 (SST)

this is a 2 months late repost from the ppp mailing list, because i had
some problems mailing this list due to domain name changes ...

an implementation of rfc 2290 " mipv4 configuration option for PPP IPCP"
on the Linux platform is now available at ( however documentation is
currently still scanty, i'll write up something soon)

http://mip.ee.nus.sg/

bugs should be reported to me, Lip Yeow, at

[email-masked]

lip yeow

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]

---

From: Chan Kwang Mien <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:13:47 +0800 (SGT)

Hi,

   I read a portion of the internet draft on mobility support in IPv6
and have some doubts.

An extract from the draft is as follows: 

 " No special authentication of the Home Address option is required,
   except that if the IPv6 header of a packet is covered by
   authentication, then that authentication MUST also cover the Home
   Address option; this coverage is achieved automatically by the
   definition of the Option Type code for the Home Address option
   (Section 5.4), since it indicates that the option is included in the
   authentication computation.  Thus, even when authentication is used
   in the IPv6 header, the security of the Source Address field in the
   IPv6 header is not compromised by the presence of a Home Address
   option.  Without authentication of the packet, then any field in the
   IPv6 header, including the Source Address field, and any other parts
   of the packet, including the Home Address option, can be forged or
   modified in transit.  In this case, the contents of the Home Address
   option is no more suspect than any other part of the packet. "

   Am I right to say that in IPv6, the source of any datagrams can be 
authenticated ? If that is so, then does it mean that a mobile node
acting as a sender has to create a security key with any correspondent
node before it can send data to the correspondent node ?

   Thanks.

regards,
Kwang Mien