Subject: [mobile-ip] Proposal for RAM based MIPv6 address lookup

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:32:28 -0500

Hi,

Assume we need to assign every device on the planet a home address and
potentially a COA as it moves.  This leaves 2^31 addresses for MIPv6 to
use as home addresses.  Then clearly 8.6 GB would be enough RAM to
store all possible MIPv6 HA to COA mappings (provided home addresses
were mapped to VM addresses).  These address servers could be spread
across server pools and  made redundant and be spread across the globe
to ensure low latency access everywhere on the planet.

This would allow a much faster deployment of MIPv6 since testbeds could
go up now and no router upgrades would be needed to provide fully optimized
MIPv6 service.  IPv6 over IPv4 tunnelling from MN to CN could be used
pretty effectively.

Eventually operators could control their own agents in their routers as they
wish to upgrade them, but this approach would allow for massive and effective
deployment immediately of MIPv6.  Comments?  Which big server company
(hey Sun!!!) wants to set one of these up for us to play with?

Thanks,

Phil

---

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:28:37 -0500

I want to retract mentioning Sun in this post.  I could have mentioned any
workstation vendor capable of supporting large amounts of RAM, like
Dell etc.  Sun is in no way connected to this half-baked idea that I have
proposed to the list as a potential short cut to deployment and more
massive experimentation.

Thanks,

Phil