Subject: [mobile-ip] RE: [seamoby] RE: [rohc] RE: Restarting Compressor on Mobile IPv6 Handover

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:31:52 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I think there is a simpler solution to this problem that most people
are overlooking.

It should be possible to keep the compressor/decompressor state at the
old access router and to tunnel the already-compressed packets to and
from the new access router.  Then the MN and new access router can
renegotiate header compression state from scratch and take as long as
they want to do so, because the MN is still getting service in the
meantime.

Someone earlier asked about support for ROHC on IP tunnels and I think
this would be a good application for that.

We are trying to move the mountain to Mohammed and I don't see why we
can't do the reverse instead.

-Pete

---

From: Erik Anderlind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:02:55 -0400

Hi Pete,

> they want to do so, because the MN is still getting service in the
The problem with your proposal is that the decompressor requires that
all packets are
received in order. You have now placed a requirement on the tunnel that
it delivers 
packets in order. This sounds complicated and prone to increasing
end-end delay.

Finding the IP address of the old access router and establishing
security 
also are issuse, although they seem like general context switch problem.
...Erik