Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Involvement w. 3Gs? (context transfer from Seamob y)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:38:10 +0300

Hi Tim & Jim,

> - the interconnection is between GPRS PLMN, not "IP-based radio access
> networks."  I suspect the GRX was based on the R98 spec, which states
> (section 5.4.2) that an"..inter-PLMN backbone network can be 
> a Packet Data Network, e.g., the public Internet or a leased line." It 
> was pretty much up to the respondees to the RFI how to provide the
service; 
> mostly I believe providers went the IP VPN route
> 
> As to why it was decided to use these non-Internet mechanisms, I don't
> expect there's a technical reason.

I'd suggest that many in the GSM/GPRS community were not very familiar
with Internet technologies.  It would be helpful to remember that there
are technical experts out there who are not IETF members :)  

In discussing a lot of these issues (AAA, Mobile IP, GPRS, GTP and so 
on) with 3GPP delegates, it has become clear to me that many of these
delegates know the GSM/UMTS technologies extremely well, but do not
know IP technologies so well.  It stands to reason then, that they will
have a bias towardst their own technologies.  Of course, that is 
something that never happens in the IETF, thankfully :)

Is it so unreasonable for the IETF to develop technically good solutions
and then let other bodies use them?  

best regards,
John

---

From: "tim clifford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:12:04 -0400

John

My point that there wasn't a technical reason for the GSM not using Internet
technologies was mostly in fact that there's less familiarity with the
Internet and its protocols.  I'll let the conspiracy theorists worry about
the other factors.

So, its absolutely reasonable for the IETF to forge ahead and let other
groups use them. It may be the problem of the mobile/GSM/etc. community
alone if they don't adopt best practices.  However I'd also suggest that if
the market forecasts are anywhere near correct then mobile access becomes a
huge factor in the evolution of the Internet.  So finding some way to bridge
the gap might be a more "global" optimum approach.

tim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 2:38 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Involvement w. 3Gs? (context transfer from
> Seamob y)
>
>
> Hi Tim & Jim,
>