Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Proposal for RAM based MIPv6 address lookup

From: "Shahrier, Sharif M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:08:44 -0400

One method that can be used is a first-level cache  to store some of the
COAs. Slower main memory DRAMs may be used as primary storage. This would
save on having to use expensive SRAM (although nowadays the SRAMs are fairly
cheap). Depending on the locality of the COA accesses, the cache could be
designed to produce a lot of "hits" to improve the performance of lookup.
A natural extention of this of course is to use multi level caches.

It would also be quite interesting to investigate different caching
algorithms for this case.

I had done quite a bit of cache modeling, simulation on real-time cache
architecture, thus if anyboby is interested please contact me for off-line
discussions.

Thanks.

Sharif.

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Phil Neumiller [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Tuesday, April 17, 2001 10:32 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[mobile-ip] Proposal for RAM based MIPv6 address lookup

Hi,

Assume we need to assign every device on the planet a home address and
potentially a COA as it moves.  This leaves 2^31 addresses for MIPv6 to
use as home addresses.  Then clearly 8.6 GB would be enough RAM to
store all possible MIPv6 HA to COA mappings (provided home addresses
were mapped to VM addresses).  These address servers could be spread
across server pools and  made redundant and be spread across the globe
to ensure low latency access everywhere on the planet.

This would allow a much faster deployment of MIPv6 since testbeds could
go up now and no router upgrades would be needed to provide fully optimized
MIPv6 service.  IPv6 over IPv4 tunnelling from MN to CN could be used
pretty effectively.

Eventually operators could control their own agents in their routers as they
wish to upgrade them, but this approach would allow for massive and
effective
deployment immediately of MIPv6.  Comments?  Which big server company
(hey Sun!!!) wants to set one of these up for us to play with?

Thanks,

Phil

---

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:24:14 -0500

Yes a fully associative memory might be the best I was thinking that what
I proposed would allow something to put up pretty fast with reasonable
performance with not such a big price tag as associative memory.