Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Security protocols in MIPv6

From: Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:21:41 -0400

Hi, I sent the following at the start of the week.  Perhaps it didn't get
through, but I saw it, and some responses to it, but I'll repost in case not
everyone did.  Sorry for the dup for others.

The list server has been down some this week.  We'll see whether we can get
a diagnosis on it early next week.

The WG chairs have been working with the IESG to progress the work on the
MIPv6 draft.  Thomas and Erik have agreed to shepherd this draft through the
IESG process.  The goal is to produce a solution for securing binding
updates, update the draft to incorporate that solution, and progress the
draft through the IESG to Proposed Standard very quickly, certainly before
the 51st IETF in London if at all possible.

The process for achieving this is becoming clear.  Based on discussions
generated around the rejection of the current draft due to the concerns
about securing binding updates, some members of the IESG and the IAB and the
working group chairs have begun refining the requirements that should be
satisfied to provide a reasonable level of security for Mobile IP v6.  This
will be the set of requirements to form the basis of the IESG's approval of
that part of the Mobile IP v6 spec and will be shared as soon as there is
good consensus.  All proposals for securing Mobile IP v6 specs will be
measured against this set of requirements.

Then a group of security experts and implementers will put together a
solution that meets all the requirements, and the draft editor will update
the draft to include this solution in the Mobile IP v6 spec.  The draft will
then go through working group and a new IETF last call as normal and the
draft will be sent to the IESG for approval.  

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shahrier, Sharif M. [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 10:16 AM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Security protocols in MIPv6
> 
> 
> Are there any design teams to be formed for "security 
> protocols in MIPv6"?
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Sharif.
>