Subject: (privately...) RE: [mobile-ip] Involvement w. 3Gs? (context transfer from Seamob y)

From: kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:39:20 -0700 (PDT)

Ken,

> 
>
>This sounds like the GRX.  It is not a new protocol.
>
>The GSM Association developed this as an agreement between GPRS operators to
>facilitate interconnection of disparate GPRS systems in support of roaming
>users.  They called this the GPRS Roaming Exchange (GRX) and invited various
>organizations, such as ISPs, to bid on supplying the service.  A good
>example of one is http://www.sonera.fi/english/solutions/grx/.
>
>The agreement uses off-the-shelf IP routing facilities (BGP4 and DNS) to
>interconnect private IP-based radio access networks using routing policies.
>The IP packets containing the GPRS GTP tunnels flow across these network
>borders when a customer roams.  
>
>The entire mechanism is transparent to the roaming user (until they get the
>bill!).
>

Thanx. Any idea why they would want to do this as opposed to using mobile IP?

		jak