Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Authentication requirement in RFC3012

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 15:13:36 -0800

Bjorn Andersson wrote:

> RFC3012 requires that the mobile node has a security association with
> either the foreign agent or the AAA infrastructure if FA challenges
> are used. Why is this is a MUST? This prevents one from, for example,
> making an access network that does not require any authentication,
> but gives a higher QoS for those that can authenticate themselves
> and have an agreement with the access provider.

I changed the MUST to a SHOULD, but I think your point is debatable.
For one thing, the mobile node is basically REQUIRED to add the
challenge, but the foreign agent is often still basicaly relying on
the infrastructure to carry out the actual authentication.

> What would be lost if authentication wasn't required (and if the
> advertisement challenge extension would be skippable)?

The advertisement should not be skippable, because it is not
up to the mobile node to decide whether the extension is required.
The only reason for making it skippable would be to provide some
sort of low-grade access to the mobile nodes that were unaware of
RFC 3012.  I think that would amount to a significant change that
would require validation and consensus from the [mobile-ip]
working group, and I have not seen further discussion to support
your request.

Regards,
Charlie P.