Subject: [mobile-ip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-scrty-reqts-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:05:15 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Routing for Wireless/Mobile Hosts Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Threat Models introduced by Mobile IPv6 and 
                          Requirements for Security in Mobile IPv6
	Author(s)	: A. Mankin et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-scrty-reqts-02.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 06-Nov-01
	
The IESG returned the Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6) draft to the working group
due to concerns about the security and scalability of binding updates
(BUs) sent to correspondent nodes and the associated IPsec processing
that is specified in the draft. Since that time discussions have
continued to attempt to define what is really needed to make binding
updates secure while taking into consideration the aspect of
scalability as well as the fact that IPsec may not be the most
suitable security mechanism for securing BUs between MNs and CNs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-scrty-reqts-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-scrty-reqts-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-scrty-reqts-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:55:37 +0200 (EET)

> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-scrty-reqts-02.txt

It's nice to see how my comments (ready for cut'n'paste, only minor mental
chewing left to be done) were completely disregarded.  Perhaps they were
lost in the flood of messages, even though I tried to distinguish the
message with a catchy topic:

---
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:53:55 +0300 (EEST)
From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [mobile-ip] specific comments/text for RH/HA in SecReqs
---

IMO, unless there are also taken into consideration when evaluating the
solutions, the credibility of the evaluations might not hold in the long
run.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 07:30:00 -0800 (PST)

> message with a catchy topic:

   It's not even clear to me what has actually changed.
   It sort of looks like _nothing_ has changed, and it
   was just resubmitted to keep it from expiring. Unfortuately
   the old draft has disappeared, so I can't do a diff.

   In particular, I've still yet to see the authors
   explain why MIPv6 should place any security
   requirements on the MN's first hop access router
   or access point since that's not even in MIPv6 
   charter to solve for, and thus it seems that this
   leads to an open ended requirement.

	    Mike