Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile Network (monet): announcement of mailing list

From: Hong-Yon Lach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:30:55 +0100

Dear colleagues,

I would like to announce the monet (mobile network) mailing list for
future discussion of the mobile networks subject.

Until the last IETF meeting, Thierry Ernst has submitted several times
I-Ds and made presentations on the subject.  At IETF-51, I was
encouraged by the mobileip WG co-chair Phil Roberts to set up a
separate mailing list to further discuss the subject.  Since then,
there has been some discussions online and offline, to the extent that
a BOF may be on its way to address the subject.

Having sensed the need to have a proper forum of discussion on mobile
network, the Monet mailing list is created, so that we could discuss
and share:

- work out the problem scope/statement
- define terminology
- technical discussions
- define the solution requirements
- plan the necessary activities
- how to address the subject in IETF (creation of a BOF?)
- etc

To start with, I would like to put forward the following 2 I-Ds:
- draft-ernst-mobileip-v6-network-02.txt
- draft-ernst-mobileip-monetv6-00.txt

In particular I would like to solicit comments on
draft-ernst-mobileip-monetv6-00.txt about the problem scope and
solution requirements.

After London IETF a long discussion took place on the mobileip list
with respect to mobile networks and routers: terminology for "router"
and "mobile router", MR and router adjacency, interactions of mobile
networks with routing protocols, multiple Care-of-Addresses, mobile
routers as NAT's, tunnelling and routing headers, security aspects,
mobile networks as PANs and many other subjects.  Several solutions
could be designed as a result of those discussions.

Besides, I would also like to gather your ideas and comments on the
creation of a monet BOF.

I am looking forward to your participation in the monet mailing list
discussion. Subscribe to the monet mailing list by sending mail to

[email-masked]

with the word "subscribe" (without the quotes) in the body. You need to
subscribe to the list in order to send to the list. You can post to the list by
sending mail to [email-masked]. Unsubscribe by sending mail to
[email-masked] with the two
words "unsubscribe monet" (again without the quotes) in the body.

Cheers,
Hong-Yon Lach
Alexandru Petrescu
Christophe Janneteau
John Boot