Subject: [mobile-ip] bu3way

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:59:09 +0100 (CET)

I didn't see (or accidentally delete) the I-D announcement for  this draft.

  Erik

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nordmark-mobileip-bu3way-00.txt     

	   Securing MIPv6 BUs using return routability (BU3WAY)

   Abstract

   This document is intended to serve as input to the discussion in the
   Mobile IP Working Group regarding securing MIPv6 Binding Updates.
   This document tries to capture a possible extreme point in the design
   space for a solution to that problem, for the purposes of exploring
   the design space.  The author does not claim that this protocol is
   better than any other proposed solutions - merely that it is
   different and the differences can help in understanding design
   tradeoffs in this space.

   This proposal relies on using only return routability to verify the
   authority to perform a binding update.  It uses return routability
   for every Binding Update message i.e., every binding update implies a
   3-way handshake between the correspondent node and the mobile node.

   The document also tries to look at how the security properties of the
   proposed protocol would change when trying to optimize the protocol
   so that, past the first BU between a MN and a CN, subsequent BUs can
   be done without a 3-way handshake.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:56:21 +0200

I published an Internet Draft that is described below.
I don't think the announcement came to the mobile IP
list, though, so here's a copy:

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>
>
>  Title           : Security Framework for Mobile IPv6 Route Optimization
>  Author(s)       : J. Arkko
>  Filename        : draft-arkko-mipv6ro-secframework-00.txt
>  Pages           : 12
>  Date            : 15-Nov-01
>        
>Without a security solution, Mobile IPv6 Route Optimization function-
>ality exposes the involved nodes as well as other nodes in the Inter-
>net to various security attacks. Recent work in the area has produced
>a number of proposals to solve these security issues. The proposals
>are, however, in many cases architecturally quite different from each
>other, and don't always describe more than a part of the solution. Due
>to the complexity of the problem, we feel that it is necessary to doc-
>ument a higher level solution roadmap. We call this roadmap the 'Secu-
>rity Framework for Route Optimization'. It talks about the architec-
>ture that a complete solution has, and the components that are needed.
>We also discuss factors affecting the need for various components and
>particular technical solutions for them.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arkko-mipv6ro-secframework-00.txt