Subject: [mobile-ip] Discussion slides of MIP WG at IETF52

From: "Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:58:50 -0600

http://people.nokia.net/~patil/IETF52/MIP/

-Basavaraj

---

From: "Subrata Goswami" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:44:33 -0800

this may not be an appropriate question for this group, although it impacts
mobile-ip indirectly. on going through the ICMPv6 , we noticed that the
Link-Layer Options in Neighbor Discovery Protocol(rfc 2461) may not support
the 64-bit IEEE-EUI address. although it can be easily resolved placing 6
bytes of padding with length=2.

subrata

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:23:17 +0100

this may not be an appropriate question for this group, although it impacts
   mobile-ip indirectly. on going through the ICMPv6 , we noticed that the
   Link-Layer Options in Neighbor Discovery Protocol(rfc 2461) may not support
   the 64-bit IEEE-EUI address.

=> this is false: link-layer options support any kind of link-layer addresses.

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: "Subrata Goswami" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 07:57:16 -0800

well, how do you make a 64 bit address in accordance with the following
in RFC 2461 ?

4.6.1.  Source/Target Link-layer Address

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     Type      |    Length     |    Link-Layer Address ...
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Fields:

      Type
                     1 for Source Link-layer Address
                     2 for Target Link-layer Address

      Length         The length of the option (including the type and
                     length fields) in units of 8 octets.  For example,
                     the length for IEEE 802 addresses is 1 [IPv6-
                     ETHER].

      Link-Layer Address
                     The variable length link-layer address.

                     The content and format of this field (including
                     byte and bit ordering) is expected to be specified
                     in specific documents that describe how IPv6
                     operates over different link layers.  For instance,
                     [IPv6-ETHER].

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Francis Dupont
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 3:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] icmpv6

   this may not be an appropriate question for this group, although it
impacts
   mobile-ip indirectly. on going through the ICMPv6 , we noticed that the
   Link-Layer Options in Neighbor Discovery Protocol(rfc 2461) may not
support
   the 64-bit IEEE-EUI address.

=> this is false: link-layer options support any kind of link-layer
addresses.

Regards

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:19:42 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> the answer is in your mail (I apologize because I have to keep
this long message :-).

         0                   1                   2                   3
   
      Fields:
   
         Type

         Link-Layer Address

=> read, reread, etc the link-layer address definition.
BTW I don't know a link-layer using EUI 64 as addresses
(but there already are more complex link-layers, for instance ATM).
If your concern is padding, look at RFC 2529.

Regards

---

From: "Subrata Goswami" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:40:40 -0800

sorry, i still do not understand what you are trying to say.

consider the following

0x01:0xY:0xAAAAAAAA

questions are:
1. what is the value of Y ?
2. If it is 2 then where and what padding do you
   add ?

subrata

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 1:20 AM

   

         0                   1                   2                   3
   
      Fields:
   
         Type

         Link-Layer Address

Regards

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:12:09 +0100

=> argh! I can't say really more than the specs...

   consider the following
   
   0x01:0xY:0xAAAAAAAA
   
=> 0x01:0xYY:0xAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

   questions are:

=> 0x02 if there is no extra padding.

=> so there should be a specific (to the link-layer) document that
describes how IPv6 operates over this link-layer and specifies
the content and format of the link-layer address field, including
the padding because 2+8 != 0 [8]. I don't know a link-layer using
EUI 64 as addresses nor an IPv6 over foo document for it. But IMHO
the only thing should be to decide where to put the padding, likely
after the length field in order to keep the address 8 byte aligned.
(BTW can you say more about the link-layer using EUI 64 as addresses?)

Regards

---

From: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:56:21 +0900

> 2. If it is 2 then where and what padding do you

It depends on the link-layer (XXX) you want to use.
Refer "IPv6 over XXX" document such as RFC 2464.

--yoshfuji