Subject: [mobile-ip] On Promoting the Low Latency Document

From: Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:29:59 -0500

One of the difficulties is that Low Latency claims to document methods for
improving the
performance of plain MIP.  This is somewhat different than the claim
typically made that
a protocol will work.  Perhaps a document with this sort of claim deserves a
treatment
different than what is normally given to Proposed Standards.  There are a
couple of ways
this could be done - through the experimental process to allow implementors
time to determine
how it actually stands up to the claims made for it, or through more work up
front with
implementations and analysis of those.

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:00:47 -0800

Hi Phil,

> implementations and analysis of those.

I agree with this. The problem is that, by IETF rules, this is not
strictly
necessary. So it becomes a judgement call on the part of the WG chairs
and ADs, and therefore subject to second guessing from disgruntled
WG members.

Long term, perhaps we need to start a Poisson action to modify the IETF
rules
in this area. Short term, I like Raj's idea of taking the low latency
document to
experimental until more people have had a chance to implement and
characterize it.

                jak