Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] 0.0.0.0 src address

From: Matt Impett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:54:03 -0500

> For example, what if any MN configures itself with a temporary address
> to send the reg-req with home-addr=0, to get it's 
> newly-assigned homeaddr? 
> 
> >    -  If the mobile node does not have a home address, the IP source
>        address MUST be 0.0.0.0.
> 

I also question why this is a MUST.  It is entirely possible that the MN's
interface over which it is going to send the RREQ has an IP address
(established via DHCP), while the mobile does not yet have a MIP home
address.  In this case, shouldn't it be able to send the RREQ with the
interface's address as the IP source address, but with a zero home address
in the RREQ??

matt

---

From: "Alper E. YEGIN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 21:59:08 -0800

Matt,

> interface's address as the IP source address, but with a zero home address

You cannot make this assumption. This works only if we are using
co-located care-of address. In case of FA-located care-of
address, mobile node has only home address.