Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] IPv4 Fast Handover Support for 802.11

From: "Shahrier, Sharif M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:14:22 -0500

802.11 is just one of the technologies that the low latency handover
protocol should support, but what about HYPERLAN, GPRS
and other technologies?

-Sharif.

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Sunday, December 02, 2001 6:57 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[mobile-ip] IPv4 Fast Handover Support for 802.11

Folks,

As some of you may have noticed,
draft-ietf-mobileip-lowlatency-handoffs-ipv4.txt does not support fast
handoff for the current 802.11 MAC. While the 802.11 spec is always
subject to change, it may take awhile and the IPv4 fast handoff work is
supposted to be immediately deployable. We've done a short proposal for
how to support fast handoff for 802.11 as it currently exists, it's at
http://geocities.com/kempf42/draft-kempf-mobileip-postmit-handover-00.tx
t, it fits into the existing
low latency framework fairly smoothly. Sorry we couldn't get this in on
time, but we just figured it out in the last couple days. This proposal
also has some other uses, re the low latency draft, and it is just to
get the conversation started about how to fix low latency for 802.11
(that is, we don't necessary expect the WG to accept it as is, but we do
want to get the problem solved).

            jak

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:29:10 -0800

I don't know anything about Hyperlan, but the cellular technologies have
or could have enough predictive information.

Ajoy sent a paper about how to force handover on the MN, so it may, in
fact, be a simple matter of implementation.

        jak