Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile-ip and MONET

From: William Ivancic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:18:40 -0500

As I understand it, MONET will follow mobile-ip protocols with some slight 
nuances.  Hopefully, this is a correct statement.  I see much of the 
discussion on the MONET list  moving MONET from a method of deployment 
directly compatible with mobile-ip to a MANET.   IMHO if you want to add 
all of the numerous stated bells and whistles, code should be written and 
tested and a relevant environment.   Not simulated, but actually put in 
some relevant networks and deployed.  Then the security, corporate policy, 
authentication to wireless (and wired) networks and other really important 
factors will come to light.

If we don't keep MONET simple, we'll never get it deployed.

Cisco does have an implementation of mobile router for IPv4.  It is very 
simple, yet very useful.  A few key items related to this deployment are:

1)  No routing protocols running over the interfaces between the FAs and 
Mobile router (MR).  The HA simply redistributes static routes.
2)  A second tunnel from HA to MR inside the HA to FA tunnel solves the MR 
problems with associations between the HA and MR configured as virtual 
networks vs single host ip addresses.  I believe this should also work for 
IPv6.  (I don't think I worded this well, but the following router 
configuration from our test network may help.)

ip mobile virtual-network 10.77.45.128 255.255.255.128
ip mobile mobile-network Dr_Loveless 10.77.45.224 255.255.255.248
ip mobile mobile-network Dr_Loveless 10.77.45.200 255.255.255.248
ip mobile mobile-network Dr_Loveless 10.77.45.208 255.255.255.240
ip mobile mobile-network mobile-router 10.77.45.144 255.255.255.240
ip mobile mobile-network mobile-router 10.77.45.160 255.255.255.248
ip mobile mobile-network mobile-router 10.77.45.136 255.255.255.248
ip mobile host 10.77.45.129 mobile-network mobile-router virtual-network 
10.77.45.128 255.255.255.128
ip mobile host 10.77.45.225 mobile-network Dr_Loveless virtual-network 
10.77.45.128 255.255.255.128
ip mobile secure host 10.77.45.129 spi 500 key hex 
12345678123456781234567812345678
ip mobile secure host 10.77.45.225 spi 710 key hex 
12345678123456781234567812345678

We (NASA) have tested nesting mobile routers with the nested mobile 
router's network being blow the upper layer MR.  We have not tried a nested 
MR belonging to a different HA.   I suspect this will work, by the numerous 
tunnels may create significant performance degradations as far a the 
applications are concerned.

Will Ivancic