Subject: [mobile-ip] FW: Make use of the GNAIE draft in Diameter MIPv4

From: Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:22:50 -0500

Hi folks,

   we received this note from Tony this morning.  We would like to support
alt 2 by
generating a new draft describing the problem and incorporating the pieces
from the deprecated
GNAIE draft into it.  They need this in a hurry, so we'd like to hear in
advance if anyone
has objection to this, otherwise we'll make it a working group item, and
generate a WG last
call on it straightaway.

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Johansson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:59 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Make use of the GNAIE draft in Diameter MIPv4

Hi Phil and Basavaraj,

My name is Tony Johansson and as you may know I'm the new editor of the
Diameter MIPv4 application. In process of solving the last remaining issue,
it has been identified that the protocol is still lacking some major
functionality in some cases of handoffs, since the Diameter MIPv4
application allows you to have more than one AAAH in the same subdomain of a
realm. Please see, issue  #299 and issue #301 at
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/AAA/issues.html for a detailed description of
the issues.

During, the AAA working group meeting at IETF53 I presented the issues and
two alternative ways in which we can workout a solution to the open issues -
see below:

Alt1: Clarifications / new requirements without any new dependencies to MIP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

AAAH
- Require that each subdomain of a realm is authorized/authenticated by
exactly one AAAH. So while a home network may have multiple AAAH's, each
subdomain will have exactly one AAAH.

- Or, require that, if the home realm has multiple AAA servers to which the
same user can be routed to, then there MUST be a synchronization mechanism
between the AAAH servers. However, the specific synchronization mechanism is
beyond the scope of this spec.

 AAAF
- How to map HA IP address to HA FQDN is still open. Reverse DNS look up is
not at all a straightforward solution for this...

Alt 2: New dependencies to MIP, by requiring the usage of the GNAIE draft.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

AAAH
- Require that the MN support the GNAIE draft, updated to include the
definition of a AAAH NAI.  When sending a MIP RegReq, this AAAH NAI would be
included to guarantee that a registered user always ends up in the same
initial AAAH.

AAAF
- The mapping of the HA IP address and HA FQDN, Host and realm would be
automatically solved, since this would be included in the MIP RegReq as
well.

There was a very clear and strong consensus that alternative 2 would be by
far the best solution. However, this means more work and dependencies to the
MIP working group and the goal is set to have the Diameter MIPv4 appl. draft
in working group last call by the April 2nd. Looking at the GNAIE draft, I
done see that much work needs to be done to make it fulfill our needs, so to
me it could easily be done in time, but the big question is how quickly
could it be pushed through the MIP working group and go to last call?  I
would really need to get your opinion on this asap., so I know if I'm asking
for the impossible or not :).

Best Regards,

Tony

---

From: Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:06:46 -0500

Yes, of course!
 
We're incorporating extensions into functional drafts rather than defining
generalized extensions - that's the reason 
GNAIE was deprecated.  Now we have a practical need for the extension, so
the draft will describe what is needed
and how it will be used and the relevant extensions will be incorporate
there.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahmad Muhanna [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:48 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] FW: Make use of the GNAIE draft in Diameter MIPv4

Hi Phil; 

Please correct me if I am wrong. 
Tony is asking to use GAINE draft after what he thinks is a minor change. 
However, your suggestion is to create a new draft and to incorporate the
pieces from the deprecated GANIE draft into it.

Is there any reason for this? 

Regards; 
Ahmad Muhanna 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Phil Roberts [mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 12:23 PM 
To: MIP ([email-masked]) 
Subject: [mobile-ip] FW: Make use of the GNAIE draft in Diameter MIPv4 

Hi folks, 

Phil 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Tony Johansson [mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:59 AM 
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Subject: Make use of the GNAIE draft in Diameter MIPv4 

Hi Phil and Basavaraj, 

realm. Please see, issue  #299 and issue #301 at 
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/AAA/issues.html
<http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/AAA/issues.html>  for a detailed description
of 
the issues. 

see below: 

-- 

AAAH 

 AAAF 

- 

AAAH 

AAAF 

Best Regards, 

Tony

---

From: "Ahmad Muhanna"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:15:17 -0600

Thanks for the info.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Roberts [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:07 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] FW: Make use of the GNAIE draft in Diameter MIPv4

Yes, of course!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahmad Muhanna [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:48 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] FW: Make use of the GNAIE draft in Diameter MIPv4

Hi Phil; 

Regards; 
Ahmad Muhanna 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Phil Roberts [ mailto:[email-masked]

Hi folks, 

Phil 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Tony Johansson [ mailto:[email-masked]

Hi Phil and Basavaraj, 

see below: 

-- 

AAAH 

 AAAF 

- 

AAAH 

AAAF 

Best Regards, 

Tony

---

From: "Mohamed Khalil"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:27:57 -0600

Phil,
 
Since their is enough need for the GNAI draft, we should add the minor
changes and return this draft back as a working group item.
 
MK

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Ahmad Muhanna
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 12:48 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] FW: Make use of the GNAIE draft in Diameter MIPv4

Hi Phil; 

Regards; 
Ahmad Muhanna 

-----Original Message----- 

Hi folks, 

Phil 

-----Original Message----- 

Hi Phil and Basavaraj, 

see below: 

-- 

AAAH 

 AAAF 

- 

AAAH 

AAAF 

Best Regards, 

Tony