Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Security on Local "Home Agent" Functionality?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:39:02 -0600

James,

>Hi Raj,
>
>> The DT recommends that "on-link" or temporary home agent (previous
>> AR) should process BUs from MNs only if it has an SA with it. The same
>> security requirements that are applicable for the normal MN-HA BUs are
>> aplicable to the temporary HA.
>>
>
>OK, I presume this will be stated in the security section of the MIPv6
>draft, that all HAs have the same requirements with respect to
>security? 

The new version of the Mobile IPv6 specification which will probably
be available early next week will include such a statement.

>> The base MIPv6 specification hence will not permit MNs to send BUs to
>> previous ARs (temporary HA). However with FMIPv6 or other future
>> extensions we could specify how an MN can establish an SA with its AR
>> which can be for the specific purpose of having the AR act as a temp
>> HA.
>>
>
>Probably a little premature for this, but it might be necessary to add
>some text to the FMIPv6 spec to cover this case.Alternatively, perhaps
>there is a way to achieve what FMIPv6 needs without requiring the MN
>to communicate beyond the routers on its current link.

I was just suggesting some possible approaches for solving this
problem. The WG will look at alternative solutions as well.

>            jak
-Basavaraj