Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] IPv4 Fast Handover Support for 802.11

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:26:51 +0100

=> Which is one of the reasons for bicasting. 

  > So I think having a Link Down trigger in 802.11 would be helpful for
  > this.
  > 

=> Sure, the trigger is needed. I wanted this trigger
mainly for the multi-interfaced hosts. Applying this to 
the single interfaced host would mean two things:

- The host can be multi-homed for a short period. 
  I.e. The host connects to two ARs at the same time
  (on the IP layer of course).

- This connection to both ARs, is represented at 
the IP layer as 2 interfaces. Because you need to
identify which interface is up or down. 

Hesham

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:38:51 -0800

> => Which is one of the reasons for bicasting.

Right, but the old AR still needs to know when to stop sending the
packets and flush its neighbor cache.
If the F-BU comes through prior to the MN moving, what's the signal?

Also, there were some other questions raised about bicasting around the
effect on reliable transports that need resolution, we're planning on
looking into experimentally them soon.

> identify which interface is up or down.

How can the host connect to two ARs if there is only one interface? Are
you assuming soft handover, i.e. that the host can also be connected to
two ARs at layer 2? Or are you assuming that the host has a connection
to the new AR through the old AR, like in FMIPv4?

            jak