Subject: [mobile-ip] IPv4 regional registration

From: "Nik Van den Wijngaert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:07:52 +0100

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this list, so forgive me if this has been raised before
(although I couldn't find any reference in the archives).

I'm implementing hierarchical mobile ip (v4), so I'm using the document
"draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-06"

In section B.2 there is a paragraph that states:

"
The crossover FA will receive both a Registration Request and a Binding
Update for the mobile node.  When the crossover FA receives the
Registration Request, it continues to send traffic via the old path
until it receives a valid Registration Reply with a Code indicating
success.  Then it starts sending traffic via the new route. "

But isn't this crossover FA the FA that will generate the registration
reply? I'm confused about the part "...until it receives a valid
registration reply...".

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here?

Thanks,
Nik Van den Wijngaert.

---

From: Annika Jonsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:01:19 +0100

Hi Nik,

the reason is that section B.2 deals with home registrations, where the 
Registration Request has to go all the way to the HA, which means that the 
FA must wait for a Registration Reply from the HA.

In section B.3, which deals with Regional Registrations, the FA generates 
the Registration Reply.

/Annika