Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Jail phone scammer sentenced to 11 years in prison]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:49:35 -0500

Jail phone scammer sentenced to 11 years in prison

November 17, 2003, 6:02 PM EST

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) _ An inmate who used a jail telephone to 
impersonate Hollywood executives and dupe Nextel Communications out 
of more than 1,000 cell phones was sentenced Monday to more than 11 
years in prison. 

James Sabatino, 27, was also ordered to pay $937,860.93 in 
restitution. 

Sabatino, who was already serving time at Westchester County Jail 
after being convicted of assaulting a federal officer, pleaded 
guilty in August to the cell phone scam. 

Federal prosecutors said Sabatino, claiming at various times that he 
was an executive of movie houses like Sony and Viacom, talked Nextel 
into sending the phones, which he claimed were for movie shoots. 

The government said Sabatino disguised his outgoing calls by 
forwarding them to a number with three-way calling capability, so 
the cell phone company would not realize an inmate was calling. 

A federal complaint said videotapes from the jail show Sabatino 
spent as much as eight hours a day on the phone. 

http://www.wnbc.com/money/2644278/detail.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/