Subject: [NEXTEL-1] All The Usual Suspects On The Road Again- Morggie , Greg Meacham (FBI Agent turned Nxtl Promo-Man), Frank Luntz an Others.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:49:01 -0500

All The Usual Suspects On The Road Again- Morggie , Greg Meacham (FBI Agent
turned Nxtl Promo-Man), Frank Luntz and Others.

Did you really think Morggie was going to disappear after that Hyped presser
Yesterday??
=================================================================
November 12, 2003 10:07 AM US Eastern Timezone
National, State and Local Public Safety Officials Address Critical Texas
Homeland Security Communications Needs

Harris County Judge Robert Eckels, Sugar Land Mayor David Wallace and Former
Federal Emergency
Management Agency Director James Lee Witt Address Interoperable Communications
in Texas

Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL) today hosted a conference at the JW
Marriott Hotel, devoted to improving interoperable communications, overall
public safety and homeland security in Texas. The event focused on the
day-to-day and emergency communications needs facing police, fire, emergency
management and other public safety and health officials. More than 100 homeland
security, public safety and public health officials from throughout the State of
Texas attended.
The conference addressed interoperability - the idea that all public safety
officials must have the ability to easily and directly connect with one another
through reliable and secure communications regardless of agency, jurisdiction or
department.  Speakers included Robert Eckels, Harris County Judge; David
Wallace, Sugar Land Mayor; James Lee Witt, president of James Lee Witt
Associates and former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director; Frank Luntz,
president, Watts-Luntz Communications; Morggie O'Brien, Nextel Vice Chairman;
and Greg Meacham, Nextel Vice President, Federal Programs and Homeland Security.
In addition, a public safety roundtable featured representatives of police and
fire departments and emergency management.

"For Harris County, public safety communications remains our biggest challenge -
but progress is being made," said Harris County Judge Robert Eckels. "We have
made a good start in this area, yet much work remains to improve our police and
fire dispatch system so the county and cities can back each other up."

"As residents of the Gulf Coast, we annually confront meteorological events,
such as flash floods, tornadoes and hurricanes," added Sugar Land Mayor David G.
Wallace. "Unfortunately, we must also prepare ourselves for other man-made
disasters. Train derailments, chemical spills and, worse yet, terrorist attacks
are all possibilities that must be considered. While we hope for the best, we
must prepare for the worst. Our approach toward mitigation and preparedness has
been one that involves a partnership between local, state and national agencies.
Critical to our effective response during emergencies is seamless communications
among the many agencies working together to minimize loss of life and property
during emergencies."
The most dramatic example of the need for interoperability communication
occurred on September 11, 2001. For several months following the attack in lower
Manhattan, Nextel supported numerous public safety organizations in that area
with wireless communications services. Organizations included: New York Police
Department, New York Fire Department, Office of Emergency Management, New York
City Mayor, American Red Cross, National Guard, FBI, Secret Service, Con Ed,
EMS, FEMA and countless others.

James Lee Witt, President of James Lee Witt Associates and former Director of
the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), emphasized that interoperable
communications is fundamental for keeping communities safe. "Effective
communications is critical for our nation's first responders. Public safety
professionals need to have the tools to communicate reliably during day-to-day
operations and in emergency situations."

Nextel is hosting a series of interoperability conferences around the country
designed to educate government and public safety officials about
interoperability and to raise awareness about the critical problem of
interference to public safety communication systems and the need to resolve this
issue through a comprehensive, national and fully funded solution.
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20031112005466&newsLang=en

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:46:16 -0500

Morggie should be ashamed peddling such nonsense. Nextel needs a reality check-
Can you say "BLACKOUT OF 2003".

"Swift, Jason" wrote:

>  Someone should emphasize hardened interoperable communications that don't
> spit up when the power goes down or, the TELCO Central Office takes a dive.
> Talk about a false sense of security.  Mr. O'Brien and, his buddy from Honest
> Bill's White House seem to omit the fact their network relies heavily on
> resources not controlled by them.  When I see microwave dishes tying their
> sites together and diesel generators outside of them, then I'd be more
> inclined to regard their product as useful for disaster mitigation.  I
> strongly urge them to research AT&T's example during the cold war on their
> microwave system.  Until then, touting their product as a tool for disaster
> mitigation seem plain irresponsible to me.Regards,Jason SwiftNot expressing
> anyone's opinion but his own...
>
>      -----Original Message-----
>      From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>      Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 12:49 PM
>      To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>      Subject: [800interference] All The Usual Suspects On The Road Again-
>      Morggie , Greg Meacham (FBI Agent turned Nxtl Promo-Man), Frank
>      Luntz an Others.
>
>      ttp://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20031112005466&newsLang=en
>
>
>
>