Subject: [NEXTEL-1] About the Sugar Land Rail Monitor

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 02:36:27 -0500

http://traffic.tamu.edu/rail/about_rail.aspx
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home
|

Contact Us
|

About Houston TranStar

News Room
|

Tours

Sugar Land Rail Monitoring System

Rail Monitor  |

Traffic Conditions

About the System

The Texas Department of Transportation, in cooperation with the City of Sugar Land, Texas, developed a pilot rail
crossing monitoring system, which detects and monitors trains on the Union Pacific railroad tracks adjacent to US-90A
in Sugar Land. The monitored section is between Kirkwood and the Grand Parkway.

The main purpose of the system is to provide monitoring capability for Fire, Emergency Medical Services, and
Police who all may experience disruptions from delays at grade crossings. The system also provides traveler information
to commuters who drive through the area along US-90A.

System Description

The web user interface includes a map of the
rail corridor that depicts each crossing’s status using a color-coded icon. Trains in the corridor are represented
by icons that exist at the approximate location of the train. In addition, for each train present in the corridor,
a corresponding table appears below the map that shows the train’s estimated length, direction of travel, speed and
expected arrival and departure time at each crossing. An indicator at the top of the page depicts the status of the
corridor as a whole. This feature is intended to give users an overview of what’s happening in the corridor at first
glance. The possible corridor statuses are listed below.

Clear - All crossings are clear in the corridor.

Train Detected - At least one train has been detected in the corridor.

Intersection Blocked - A train has not been detected in the corridor but a crossing’s gate arm is down.

Unknown - Corridor status cannot be determined due to a lack of data.

To view a sample of the system monitoring a train in the corridor, click here.