Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Wireless still unable to activate new customers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:23:33 -0500

AT&T Wireless still unable to activate new customers

by Dan Meyer
Nov. 10, 2003

AT&T Wireless Services Inc. is reportedly still unable to activate new
customers or upgrade existing TDMA customers to its GSM network more
than a week after a faulty software upgrade that was designed to ease
in-store activations. 

The carrier said the problem occurred Nov. 1 when AT&T Wireless
attempted to upgrade the software and has since prevented the carrier
from accessing information for its more than 3 million GSM customers.
The new software reportedly included wireless local number portability
support ahead of the Nov. 24 WLNP implementation deadline. 

An AT&T Wireless spokesman told Reuters that it made “tremendous
progress over the weekend,” and customers were able to activate handsets
“in pretty close to normal levels.” 

However, a New Jersey-based exclusive AT&T Wireless dealer who contacted
RCR Wireless News said he has 47 GSM activations waiting to be called in
and has not received any information from the carrier concerning when
the system is expected to be corrected. The dealer admitted the system
was operational for a few hours this weekend, but the logjam of
activations made it impossible for him to activate handsets. 

AT&T Wireless said its TDMA network has not been affected by the
software problem. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15856

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/