Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC ANNOUNCES AGENDA FOR THE VOICE OVER IP FORUM TO BE HELD ON DECEMBER 1, 2003

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:44:10 -0500

DA: 03-3777
Released: November 24, 2003

FCC ANNOUNCES AGENDA FOR THE VOICE OVER IP FORUM TO BE HELD ON DECEMBER 1, 2003

The Federal Communications Commission announces a Forum to discuss Voice over
Internet Protocol (VoIP).  All FCC Commissioners will participate.  The hearing
is open to the public, and seating will be available on a first-come,
first-served basis.  The hearing date, time, and location are:

Date & Time:  Monday December 1, 2003
10:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Location:    Federal Communications Commission
  Commission Meeting Room
  445 12th Street, NW
  Washington, D.C.

The purpose of the Forum is to gather information concerning advancements,
innovations, and regulatory issues related to VoIP services.  The agenda and
further details are attached.  Information concerning the Forum, including the
agenda, copies of presentations, and bios of the speakers, will be available at
the Forum webpage http://www.fcc.gov/voip/.

Facilities
The FCC is located at 445 12th Street SW, Washington, DC 20554.  Directions and
a map of the streets near the FCC are available at
http://www.fcc.gov/portalsmap.html. The Commission Meeting Room is equipped with
a Wi-Fi Internet network.

Security
Please note that the FCC is a federal building with security.  All attendees
will be required to pass through security.  The FCC's Commission Meeting Room
will be opened early to facilitate access to the building; attendees are
encouraged to allocate additional time to enter the building.

Webcast & Video
The VoIP Forum will be webcast live and also archived for later viewing.  Access
to and additional information concerning the webcast is available at
http://www.fcc.gov/realaudio/.  For a fee this meeting can be accessed live over
George Mason University's Capitol Connection including live via the Internet.
To purchase these services call (703) 993-3100 or go to
http://www.capitolconnection.gmu.edu/. Audio and video tapes of this meeting can
be purchased from CACI Productions, 341 Victory Drive, Herndon, VA 20170,
telephone number (703) 834-1470, Ext. 19; fax number (703) 834-0111.

Reasonable Accommodations
Open captioning and sign language interpreters will be provided for this event.
Other reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities are available upon
request.  Include a description of the accommodation you will need including as
much detail as you can.  Also include a way we can contact you if we need more
information.  Make your request as early as possible.  Last minute requests will
be accepted, but may not be possible to fill.  Send an e-mail to [email-masked]
or call the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau: For sign language
interpreters, CART, and other reasonable accommodations:  202-418-0530 (voice),
202-418-0432 (tty).  For accessible format materials (braille, large print,
electronic files, and audio format): 202-418-0531 (voice), 202-418-7365 (tty).

For further information please contact Robert Pepper, Chief, Policy Development;
email: [email-masked]; voice: 202-418-2030. Press inquires should be directed
to Meribeth McCarrick, at 202-418-0654.

- FCC -

FCC Voice over IP Forum
December 1, 2003
Agenda

10:30  Welcome

10:40-11:00 Opening statements by Chairman and Commissioners

11:00-11:15 Background Presentation by FCC Staff

  FCC Precedents regarding VoIP

11:15-12:15 Panel I—What is VoIP? (technical and service features and issues)

The first panel will address technical and market issues surrounding VoIP
service.  Panelists will be asked to describe the technology and capabilities of
VoIP, and how VoIP can be used to offer end users lower-cost, innovative
services with capabilities previously unavailable in voice communications.
Panelists will  address how the FCC might distinguish among the numerous
services employing VoIP, and whether it could feasibly distinguish between VoIP
and other IP-enabled applications facilitating communication (ranging from
e-mail to instant messaging to videoconferencing to interactive online gaming).

  Kevin Werbach, Founder, Supernova Group
 Charles H. Giancarlo, SVP and General Manager, Cisco Systems, Inc.
 Jeff Pulver, President and CEO, Pulver.com
 John Hodulik, Managing Director, Communications Group, UBS
 John Billock, COO, Time Warner Cable

12:15-1:00 Break

1:00-2:30 Panel II—VoIP and Public Policy

The second panel will address public policy questions raised by VoIP.  Panelists
will be asked to address what, if any, regulatory obligations currently imposed
upon traditional circuit-switched voice service providers should be placed upon
VoIP providers and whether from either legal or technical perspectives such
obligations are feasible.   Panelists may focus on traditional utility
regulatory issues such as non-discrimination and price regulation as well as
social policies such as access by persons with disabilities, universal service,
CALEA, and E911.

 Michael Gallagher, Acting Assistant Secretary, Department of Commerce
 Commissioner Carl Wood, California PUC
 Commissioner Charles Davidson, Florida PSC
 James Crowe, CEO, Level3
 Tom Evslin, CEO, ITXC
 Jeffrey Citron, CEO, Vonage
Dr. Gregg Vanderheiden, Rehabilitation Engineering Research Project on
Telecommunications Access, University of Wisconsin

2:30-2:50 Closing statements by Chairman and Commissioners

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/