Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Task Force Reports on Spectrum Policy Reform Progress and Initiatives

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:51:00 -0500

FCC Task Force Reports on Spectrum Policy Reform Progress and Initiatives

Washington, D.C.
November 13, 2003

Today, the FCC’s Spectrum Policy Task Force reported on steps the Commission has
taken during the past year to implement spectrum policy reform and initiatives
planned for the next 12 to 18 months.  The Task Force noted the Commission has
already made significant progress in modernizing the policies guiding how the
spectrum resources under the FCC’s jurisdiction are allocated and utilized.  The
FCC continues to move toward innovative approaches to spectrum policy that are
designed to maximize the public benefits derived from the use of the radio
spectrum.

The Task Force also announced that it will soon launch a new research tool on
its Internet site (http://www.fcc.gov/sptf) that will allow the public to track
the progress of all Commission spectrum-related rulemaking proceedings and
initiatives in one place.

The Spectrum Policy Task Force was established by FCC Chairman Michael Powell in
June 2002.  In November 2002, the Task Force issued a Report containing a number
of specific recommendations for spectrum policy reform.  The Report’s principal
recommendations to the Commission included the following:

(1) Migrate from current command and control model of spectrum regulation to
market-oriented exclusive rights and unlicensed device/commons models;

(2) Implement ways to increase access to spectrum in all dimensions for users of
both unlicensed devices and licensed spectrum; and

(3) Implement a new paradigm for interference protection.

A product of staff-level analysis and findings, rather than formal Commission
action, the Task Force Report has drawn significant interest, both domestically
and internationally.  Early in 2003, over 130 formal comments and replies were
filed in response to the Report.  It has also been the subject of discussions
between Commission staff and their counterparts in nine countries and the
European Union, which have recently completed or are undertaking similar policy
reviews.

Today’s Task Force presentation highlighted the Commission’s actions over the
past year in connection with the implementation of the Report’s
recommendations.  Peter Tenhula, Director of the Spectrum Policy Task Force,
reported that the Commission has made tremendous progress in embracing most of
the 39 Task Force recommendations in a number of wide-ranging and
service-specific rulemaking proceedings and inquiries.  For example, the
Commission has opened inquiries into improving access to spectrum in rural
areas, specifying interference immunity performance standards for radio
receivers, and establishing an interference temperature metric.  There are five
ongoing or recently concluded proceedings to designate additional spectrum for
unlicensed uses or to promote such uses.  In addition, the Commission issued
final rules in its Secondary Markets proceeding, providing licensees in about
two-dozen wireless communications services flexibility to lease or transfer
their unused or underutilized spectrum rights to other facilities-based
providers under a streamlined process.  

The Task Force presentation advocated charting critical paths for getting “from
inquiry to action” in the Commission’s spectrum-related proceedings.  In
collaboration with the Bureaus and Offices with spectrum policy
responsibilities, the Spectrum Policy Task Force will develop implementation
plans for many of these proceedings.

Spectrum Policy Task Force Contact: Peter Tenhula, (202) 418-SPTF (7783

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-241195A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/