Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Iraq to delay GSM license award- Possible Corruption

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:24:04 -0500

Iraq to delay GSM license award- Possible Corruption

Lawyers representing the USA lead coalition in Iraq have made a recommendation
that the award of the licenses for the three GSM network be delayed for 10 days
pending an investigation into possible corruption during the license award.

The lawyers request is understood to be directed mainly at the Iraqi-born
billionaire Nadhmi Auchi’s involvement in Orascom Telecom, the consortium chosen
for the Baghdad and central Iraq mobile network, reported the Financial Times.

Commenting on the Iraqi ministry’s award of the licenses, a U.S.  official told
the Financial Times “The question is who did what due diligence, and when?” Amid
increasing suggestions of cronyism in handing out contracts, the CPA is
preparing to establish a new Iraq Infrastructure Reconstruction Office to
oversee how contracts are awarded.

The CPA said it was working with the Ministry of Communications and the winners
to finalize the details of the licenses. “We expect the licenses to be signed in
due course within weeks and not months,” said a CPA spokesman.

Posted to the site on 12-Nov-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10096.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/