Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NIST releases security controls proposal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 11:32:02 -0500

NIST releases security controls proposal
BY Diane Frank
Nov. 3, 2003

The National Institute for Standards and Technology today released the
first draft of a publication describing mandated security controls for
federal information systems.

NIST officials want agencies to experiment with the initial public
draft, "Special Publication 800-53: Recommended Security Controls for
Federal Information Systems." It outlines electronic and physical
controls for systems categorized under three levels of potential
impacts, such as what would happen if someone steals information from a
federal system and modifies the data or disrupts a government service.
Low-, medium- and high-impact levels are defined in draft "Federal
Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 199: Standards for Security
Categorization of Federal Information and Information Systems." NIST
officials released the final draft of that standard in September.

Controls outlined in the Publication 800-53 draft fall into three
classes -- management, operational and technical — and are then broken
down further into families. For example, under the management class,
families include security planning and acquisition of information
systems and services. Operational class families focus on issues such as
incident response and contingency planning and operations.

NIST's Computer Security Division plans to use agencies' comments from
the initial draft and an open workshop in March to develop final
security controls that would become the new "FIPS 200: Minimum Security
Controls for Federal Information Systems."

FIPS 199 and 200 are required under the Federal Information Security
Management Act of 2002. NIST expects to publish FIPS 200 in the fall of
2005, when its controls will become mandatory for all federal agencies.

Comments are due by Jan. 31, 2004, and may be submitted to
[email-masked].

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/1103/web-nist-11-03-03.asp

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/