Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Finnish Prime Ministers phones monitored

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:59:58 -0500

Finnish Prime Ministers phones monitored

Finland's National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) investigation into a suspected
illegal use of the former Prime Minister's cell phone has resulted in three
Finnish officials being charged by the police. The officials include the
government's former security chief, Ari Uutinen, the security chief of the
national telecom operator Sonera, Juha E.  Miettinen and the police investigator
who had asked for the illegal usage to be carried out.

The security boss at Sonera was reportedly seeking information about his
employees and the investigation was commenced as Sonera looked for an employee
who was leaking information to the press.

The case follows on from alleged monitoring of calls made by the Prime Ministers
cellphones during a seven-month period in 1997 and 1998. The calls themselves
were not tapped, only the billing records were accessed. Following a phone call
made to a person under suspicion of financial fraud by the Prime Minister's
chauffeur who was seeking cheap tires.

The three officials who have been charged then chose to illegally monitor the
Prime Ministers phone usage, without a court order.

The Prime Minister resigned earlier this year after eight years in power
following a narrow election defeat in March.

Posted to the site on 28-Nov-03

 http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10208.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/