Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Service Rules for Advanced Wireless Services in the 1.7 GHz and 2.1 GHz Bands

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:40:14 -0500

Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554
In the Matter of

Service Rules for Advanced Wireless Services
in the 1.7 GHz and 2.1 GHz Bands	)

WT Docket No. 02-353

REPORT AND ORDER
Adopted:  October 16, 2003	Released:  November 25, 2003
By the Commission:  Chairman Powell, Commissioners Martin and Adelstein issuing
separate statements; Commissioner Copps approving in part, concurring in part
and issuing a separate statement.

Service Rules for Advanced Wireless Services in the 1.7 GHz and 2.1 GHz Bands

WT Docket No. 02-353

I.  INTRODUCTION

1. In this Report and Order, we adopt service rules for Advanced Wireless
Services (AWS) in the 1710-1755 and 2110-2155 MHz bands, including provisions
for application, licensing, operating and technical rules, and for competitive
bidding.

Licensees in these bands will have the flexibility to provide any fixed or
mobile service that is consistent with the allocations for this spectrum.   We
will license this spectrum under our market-oriented Part 27 rules and, in order
to accommodate differing needs, our band plan includes both localized and
regional geographic service areas and symmetrically paired spectrum blocks with
the pairings being composed of different bandwidths.  Our licensing plan will
allow the marketplace rather than the Commission to ultimately determine what
services are offered in this spectrum and what technologies are utilized to
provide these services.  The licensing framework that we adopt today for these
bands will ensure that this spectrum is efficiently utilized and will foster the
development of new and innovative technologies and services, as well as
encourage the growth and development of broadband services.

2. Our actions today bring us closer to our goals of achieving the universal
availability of broadband access and increasing competition in the provision of
such broadband services both in terms of the types of services offered and in
the technologies utilized to provide those services.  The wide spread deployment
of broadband will bring new services to consumers, stimulate economic activity,
improve national productivity, and advance many other objectives – such as
improving education, and advancing economic opportunity for more Americans.  By
encouraging the growth and development of broadband, our actions today also
foster the development of facilities-based competition.  We achieve these
objectives by taking a market-oriented approach to licensing this spectrum that
provides greater certainty, minimal regulatory intervention, and leads to
greater benefits to consumers.

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-251A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/