Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel i90 work with Pocket PC?

From: "strokeoluck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:08:36 -0000

Hi all, a few specific questions about the Pocket
PC and its compatibility with my nextel i90 phone. I currently use 
Microsoft Outlook at work and sync it with a
Palm Vx. I also have a Nextel i90 phone that has e-mail capability,
though it's challenging to reply to e-mails on this phone, and forget 
about trying to *create* new e-mails. However I absolutely LOVE 
Nextel's coverage/reach, I've never found another cell phone service 
to compare to Nextel in this regard. The majority of my time is spent
in my main office (80%), another 10% in my home office and the
remaining 10% traveling.

I'm seeking help in picking out a new Palm (or similar device...I
guess you don't technically call a "pocket pc" a "Palm"?!? Forgive
my ignorance on this issue).

Ideally I'd like this new device to...:
1) send/receive e-mails VERY EASILY!
2) do all the normal stuff my Palm does, like keep track of my
appts, contacts, etc. Though I really like the Windows-like look of
the pocket pc vs. the palm.
3) have a color screen
4) browse the internet
5) be small enough to fit into my pocket, or God forbid, if I carry
it on my belt I don't want to look like I have a small casket on my
hip.
6) have a mini keyboard (although now that I've seen how BIG they
are I'm thinking maybe I can live w/the touchpad keyboard)
7) have cell phone capability (though I hear no one really makes one
that is very user friendly - i.e. if you want to talk and enter info
at the same time - and that would mean I'd have to dump Nextel!!!)

With all of that said I will say that numbers 1, 2 & 3 are THE most
important to me. It would be nice to have #4 but that's not a must.
So now a few questions:

- a friend tells me that this new Pocket Pc can easily connect w/my
Nextel phone (via a cable of some sort) so that I can send/receive e-
mails. But if I'm on the road how reasonable is it for me to whip
out a "cable" and connect these two devices together to send/receive
e-mails? Is this where I should just pay an extra $10 or $20/month
to have the ability to collect e-mails via...the air!?!?! (I have no
idea how they get to the device).

- At Best Buy the kid there - and I do mean 'kid' - said a Pocket PC
will *NOT* connect w/my Nextel phone unless they are both equipped
w/bluetooth, and he said he knew my Nextel did not have bluetooth.

- Given what I said I want in a device, which one should I purchase?
My friend has the Dell Axim, he said you can buy it at Dell for $199
right now. I played around w/it and it seems to have everything I
want, although it doesn't have the ability to browse the
internet/receive-send e-mails on the fly.

- How would I get wireless internet & e-mail service? Is it even
possible?

- If I purchase a Dell Axim (for example) can I go w/any wireless
service or am I locked in to a certain choice?

- If the answer to the above is "you can go w/anyone" then how do I
do this? Do I purchase the device online and then shop for wireless
service online?

As you can see I need some major help. Anything you can share w/me
would be greatly appreciated. Are there any user-friendly (I'm NOT a
techie!!!) sites that help explain this stuff?

Thanks,
Rob

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/