Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Gallagher’s NTIA nomination moves forward

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:03:48 -0500

Gallagher’s NTIA nomination moves forward
By Jeffrey Silva
November 04 13:23:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Michael Gallagher, President Bush’s nominee to head the
National Telecommunications and Information
Administration, told Senate lawmakers today that engineering and trust
among agencies are key to forging spectrum policies that balance
economic and homeland security objectives in the post-9/11 world.
Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) said he planned
to move the Gallagher nomination forward as soon as possible.

Gallagher, currently acting NTIA director, helped negotiate a compromise
between the high-tech industry and Pentagon earlier this year, enabling
the United States to support a global 5 GHz allocation for Wi-Fi
technology.

GOP lawmakers told Gallagher they want the Bush administration to drop
objections to legislation making available $250 million in high-tech
grants to black colleges and other minority-serving educational
institutions.

On a related front, McCain said he sees little chance this year for an
administration proposal to fold NTIA and e-commerce functions of the
International Trade Administration into the Commerce Department’s
Technology Administration.
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15788

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xlw.sC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/