Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MMS spec to allow GSM, CDMA interoperability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:23:42 -0500

MMS spec to allow GSM, CDMA interoperability
By Mike Dano
November 11 13:06:00, 2003

The Open Mobile Alliance industry standards group announced a major new
specifications release aimed at breaking
down the barriers between GSM and CDMA carriers. The specifications center
around picture messaging and multimedia
messaging services, allowing GSM subscribers to send MMS messages to CDMA users.

“The Open Mobile Alliance focuses the power of its collective membership and
collaborates with other industry
organizations to further accelerate interoperability,” said Jari Alvinen, OMA’s
chairman of the board. “The OMA's
commitment to accelerate the movement towards interoperability of MMS as well as
its interworking with other
messaging systems will help ensure a uniform, consistent and seamless user
experience for messaging.”

The OMA said its new Multimedia Messaging Service version 1.2 enabler release
will ensure interoperability among most
major messaging systems, including MMS and e-mail services. The specifications
define a minimum set of requirements
and conformance for interoperable MMS applications, MMS-capable handsets and
servers, and content provisioning.

The OMA said it worked with the GSM Association, the CDMA Development Group and
the 3GPP and 3GPP2 standards
organizations to create the specification. The move comes after pledges from the
various groups to work together on
MMS interoperability. OMA said it will hold a “test fest” later this month to
ensure the finalization of the MMS version 1.2
specification.

The move is especially notable for the U.S. market, where CDMA and GSM carriers
sit side by side. Although picture
messaging has been available from most carriers for almost a year in the United
States, the systems are not currently
interoperable. Conversely, in GSM-dominated Europe, most carriers have signed
MMS interoperability agreements.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15869

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/