Subject: [NEXTEL-1] World's First Push-to-Talk GSM Wireless Phone

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:09:43 -0500

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Nov2003/6080.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

World's
First Push-to-Talk GSM Wireless Phone

13th
November, 2003

Europe
: Nokia unveiled the world's first GSM push-to-talk handset, the sports-inspired
Nokia 5140 phone. Along with its ability to quickly connect users at the
push of a button, the Nokia 5140 phone also includes a number of unique
features designed for the active-minded consumer such as a digital compass,
Fitness Coach application and a built-in VGA camera. The GSM/GPRS/EDGE
Nokia 5140 phone will be available in a GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz version
primarily for the Europe/Asia market and in a GSM 850/1900/1800 MHz version
primarily for the Americas market. Both versions are expected to be available
during the 2nd quarter of 2004.

With
just the push of a button, Nokia 5140 phone owners can connect to friends
and family by using the push-to-talk feature for quick voice communications,
or to access the built in VGA camera to communicate visually. The push-to-talk
feature can be used to quickly connect the user to one person, or to a
group of people, simply by using the convenient side-mounted key.

While
the Nokia 5140 phone is the first Nokia GSM handset to feature push-to-talk
capability, it marks the first step as push-to-talk becomes an increasingly
common function. During 2004, Nokia will introduce a full range of push-to-talk
capable GSM phones, including Symbian OS based smartphones. From 2005
onwards push-to-talk will become available for all Nokia GPRS/WCDMA phones.
This "walkie-talkie" style push-to-talk feature of the Nokia
5140 phone is a half-duplex voice over IP (VoIP) solution using the existing
GPRS and EDGE data networks that are part of current GSM systems. This
method results in performance that on average is comparable to that of
existing dedicated push-to-talk cellular networks.

"Nokia
continues to innovate new products that have a strong appeal to well-defined
markets. The Nokia 5140 phone, with its complement of active features
is a perfect fit for athletic and outdoors enthusiasts - as well as for
those who aspire to that lifestyle," said Paul Chellgren, senior
vice president of product management and business development for Nokia.
"The Nokia 5140 phone is innovative not only because of its range
of active features, but it also marks the introduction of the world's
first GSM push-to-talk handset. By introducing push-to-talk to GSM, Nokia
is bringing a whole new way to communicate to the world's leading wireless
technology."

The
Nokia 5140 phone features a durable dust, bump and splash-resistant housing
that allows it to keep up with demanding users, but its active nature
is more than just skin deep. To keep users oriented on the trail, an integrated
digital compass displays the direction both graphically and numerically.
After dark, a built-in flashlight helps to guide the way. For the fitness
enthusiast, a new Fitness Coach feature uses training regimens based on
professionally recommended training principles.

Additional
functionality of interest to the fitness minded is an interval timer and
stopwatch for keeping track of workout routines and an integrated FM radio
to help make that time go by even faster. An optional Active Headset enhancement
is available to provide easier wearability while on the move, and for
increased resistance to bumps and splashes. The Active Headset features
one button to answer and end calls and another that can be used to activate
the push-to-talk capability of the Nokia 5140 phone.

Along
with its unique lifestyle features, the Nokia 5140 phone also has a generous
complement of the latest mobile features. Multimedia messaging capability
allows for the sending and receiving of images, sounds and text. The Nokia
5140 phone also supports downloadable polyphonic ring tones, custom wallpapers
and Java(TM) applications to customize the handset. For additional personalization,
optional Xpress-on(TM) shells are available in three fashionable color
combination schemes.

NEC
e606 Phone Review
: Read
MORE

Free
3G Phones

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

Partner
Takes 3G Wireless Network

Partner
Communications Company has selected Nortel Networks in a frame agreement
with an estimated value of US$93 million

Wi-Fi/3G
Wireless Networking Solution

This
enables operators to leverage wide-area 3G CDMA2000(R) and UMTS/W-CDMA mobile
networks to carry the data traffic generated by Wi-Fi hot spots.

World's
First Push-to-Talk GSM Wireless Phone

Nokia
unveiled the world's first GSM push-to-talk handset, the sports-inspired
Nokia 5140 phone.

Qualcomm
MSM For Toshiba 3G Phones

The
MSM6250 announcement is Toshiba's first selection of a WCDMA (UMTS) chipset
solution from QUALCOMM.

Yamaha
Wireless Ringtones In Europe

Yamaha
Corporation has selected Netsize to deliver its catalogue of mobile ringtone
content across 24 operators

3
Target Women To Boost 3G Phone Sales

3
UK will sell 3G phones through all its 500 Superdrug stores. This is an
interesting way to sell phones to women.

Collaboration
Between OMA, GSMA, CDG, 3GPP and 3GPP2

Designed
to provide a global industry standard for MMS application development, the
MMS version 1.2 enabler release represents a starting point for the integration
between MMS systems

Vodafone
Live Customers Discount

Anew
discount service for packet data communications that makes Vodafone live!
for PDC (2.5G) customers even easier to use with savings of up to 80%.

New
NEC GSM Mobile Phone

NEC
will be launching the N900 GSM mobile phone in the near future. Its a bit
special being only 10mm thick and only the size of a credit card.

World's
First Prepaid i-mode Wireless Service

New
revolutionary mobile service has been offered and deployed by KPN to mobile
phone users in the Netherlands using Narus mobile software products.

World's
First Auto Focus Camera Phone

NTT
DoCoMo, Inc. announced the release of the mova® P505iS, the world's
first* camera phone equipped with auto focus, on November 12, 2003.

40
Million i-mode Wireless Subs

Total
subscribers to 2G and 3G i-mode mobile internet service in Japan surpassed
40 million

3
Launch 3G Video News

The
agreement between TV2 and 3 means that Danes purchasing one of 3’s
new telephones will be able to access video news and TV clips

3G
Video Call Setup Time Reduced

Patent-pending
AnswerFast technology reduces video call setup time by 40-50 percent

3's
3G Prediction Seems Impossible

The
likelihood of Hutchison 3G ( 3 UK ) reaching its predicted 1 million subscribers
by the end of 2003 looks a poor bet.

CDMA
Based 3G for Hong Kong

Hong
Kong Broadband Network says it is ready fill a gap in Hong Kong and build
a CDMA-based 3G network.

3
Invest Another £90 Million Pounds In 3G

Hutchison
Whampoa of Hong Kong (HWL) and KPN Mobile of Netherlands (KPN) have signed
an agreement which means that KPN will pass its 15% shareholding

MMS
Key To 3G Deployment

The
future of mobile technology lies in the growing popularity of advanced mobile
data services such as MMS (multi-media messaging service).

More
i-mode Wireless in Europe

NTT
DoCoMo, Inc and COSMOTE Mobile Telecoms S.A. announced they have formed
an exclusive strategic partnership

Camcorder
Wireless Phone With 2 Hours Video Streaming

A
cellular phone is now available that lets you listen to music, record video
and even control certain electronic products.

Primus
Launch Pen and GSM Wireless Phones

The
key products to be sold initially are the Haier Pen Phone ( inset ) and
GSM Phones. Features and spec of these products is detailed below.

3G
CDMA2000 Wireless Subscribers Double

The
CDMA Development Group (CDG) reported that the 3G CDMA2000 subscriber base
has nearly doubled

Test
Platform in Ready for 3G Wireless

The
platform will enable RFI to provide full test services for manufacturers
certifying terminals to the latest GCF and PTCRB requirements

3G
Home

3G
Forum

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.