Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Qualcomm expands PTT offerings with BREWChat

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:46:31 -0500

Qualcomm expands PTT offerings with BREWChat
By Mike Dano
November 05 12:40:00, 2003

Qualcomm Inc. further expanded its push-to-talk game with its new
BREWChat application, which the carrier said is a
downloadable BREW application that can run on BREW-capable mobile
phones. Qualcomm said BREWChat will be
available in the first quarter of next year.

BREWChat is separate from Qualcomm’s QChat PTT offering, which the
company said will be available “soon.” QChat
uses technology from long-time push-to-talk provider Nextel
Communications Inc.

Interestingly, Qualcomm said BREWChat is for CDMA2000 1x Release 0
networks, while QChat is for Release A
CDMA2000 1x networks. Qualcomm said QChat for Release A CDMA2000 1x
networks will offer faster performance
capabilities. Qualcomm also said BREWChat and QChat will be
interoperable.

“BREWChat takes advantage of the high data speed and bandwidth
efficiency benefits inherent in CDMA to deliver a fast
and very efficient push-to-chat solution for operators with 3G CDMA2000
1x networks,” said Peggy Johnson, president of
Qualcomm Internet Services. “BREWChat will give operators who offer
BREW-enabled services an added opportunity to
leverage their investment. Since BREWChat runs on top of the BREW
platform, integration with other applications and
services is easy and allows updates of software over the air.”

Qualcomm said BREWChat works as a piece of client software managed by a
distributed server platform. The company
said BREWChat trials have been conducted and are currently planned
around the world.

A variety of carriers around the world offer BREW services.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=789

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:59:28 -0500

Looks like Q-Com beat Nextel at its own game.........

Nextel paid $100M for Q to develop its own proprietary PTT (QCHAT) for CDMA
operators. Nextel said QCHAT could only be sold to CDMA operators outside
Nextel's markets. Q has taken QCHAT and  transposed it to Q's popular "BREW"
platform which offers many of the same features as Nextel's "JAVA" platform.
The kick in the A** is QCOM  released BrewChat ahead QCHAT.

 Looks like QCOM knows

                                "How Business Gets DONE"- We take Nextel's
money and Stab them in the back!

Timmy "Can You Here Me Now?"

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG