Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Requires MSS Carriers To Provide 911 Call Centers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:13:22 -0500

FCC Requires MSS Carriers To Provide 911 Call Centers

Nov 13, 2003

The Federal Communications Commission Thursday decided that mobile satellite
service (MSS) carriers that provide interconnected voice service must establish
call centers for the purpose of answering 911 emergency calls and forwarding
such calls to an appropriate public safety answering point (PSAP). The FCC also
directed the Network Reliability and Interoperability Council (NRIC) to study
several technical issues associated with enhanced 911 implementation for
satellite systems.

In addition, the FCC is seeking public comment on two subjects pertaining to
MSS. First, the FCC is asking whether transition periods are necessary for MSS
providers with an ancillary terrestrial component (ATC) to comply with the
terrestrial wireless enhanced 911 (E911) requirements. Second, the FCC seeks
comment on proposed reporting and recordkeeping requirements in connection with
implementation of the emergency call center rule.
http://www.telecomweb.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/