Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TBI helps probe theft of Cocke sheriff's repeaters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:18:24 -0500

TBI helps probe theft of Cocke sheriff's repeaters
By BRYAN MITCHELL,
[email-masked]

November 22, 2003

Cocke County Sheriff's Department investigators and the Tennessee Bureau of
Investigation are looking into the theft of a crucial piece of
law-enforcement equipment.

Authorities are trying to determine who stole four $2,000 radio repeaters
from a repeater station Thursday night.

The theft occurred sometime between 5 and 6 p.m. when someone used an
unknown object to knock the padlock off the repeater station shack atop
Halls Top Mountain.

Repeaters are used to strengthen radio signals.

The repeaters were used for the sheriff's department, local fire
departments, the Cocke County Highway Department and local wrecker services.

Authorities said they have no suspects.

Cocke County Sheriff's Department chief investigator Robert Caldwell said
the department has been unable to determine a motive.

The sheriff's department was using the city of Newport's repeater on Friday
morning.

However, the fire departments' repeater was replaced on Friday and the
sheriff's department switched over to their equipment.

Cocke County officials say that the theft may be part of a larger ring of
burglaries that target similar repeaters.

The radio repeaters are especially important in Cocke County because the
mountainous terrain can obstruct signals.

Bryan Mitchell may be reached at 865-342-6306.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_2448680,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/