Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola+Qtopia=Linux Smart Phone

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:47:53 -0000

"Start compiling the excuses you will tell your boss to upgrade your 
cell phone now. Motorola has opted to use Trolltech's Qtopia to 
power up the next generation of SmartPhones. Get the scoop/specs 
from here and a nice high-res picture from this other link. The 
phone will have 'digital camera, video player, MP3 player, 
speakerphone, advanced messaging, instant Internet access and 
Bluetooth wireless technology' capabilities. On top of being Linux-
based of course."

see: http://motoinfo.motorola.com/motoinfo/products.asp?
product=A760&y=2003

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:59:14 -0500

What no Wi-Fi Hi-Five?

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: "Neil Horden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:11:18 -0000

I am sure there are still some serious power consumtion issues with 
WiFi in a cellphone package.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:28:46 -0500

Calypso has done it in the C1250i video phone
http://www.calypsowireless.com/pr_phones.htm

---

From: "Neil Horden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:45:22 -0000

Do they have specifications and battery life info?
The product sheet takes you to the access point sheet, not the phone 
sheet.

Cisco claims to have a phone coming out (Said it was done, but not 
certified).

Motorola said they are working on one.

It will be interesting to see the form factor (battery space) and 
usage model (1 Day charge, 1 Week Charge, or 1 Shift Charge).

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:19:49 -0500

> Do they have specifications and battery life info?

No, Sorry....

> The product sheet takes you to the access point sheet, not the phone

Sounds like a Calypso problem......

> Motorola said they are working on one.

The Calypso phone has been out since last year. They have a Q4 delivery date for
Estesa and a field trial with Enitel(Swedtel).
They also have and a $500M deal with China telecom.

"Calypso is scheduled to commence the delivery of Calypso's Network
 Components, cellular broadband real time video phones and WLAN Access Point,
 during the fourth quarter of this year on the carrier network of Estesa, a
Latin America
 internet service provider."

> usage model (1 Day charge, 1 Week Charge, or 1 Shift Charge).

I have heard power is a non-issue.

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:03:11 -0000

> --- In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:

Its a very common misconception that 802.11b is power hungry. Many 
of the early 802.11 cards were poorly engineered and thus did 
constantly draw power, but almost all new designs are greatly 
improved.

These 802.11 phones should have talk times of 8-12hrs. Which is not 
really hard to figure out. Think of it this way 1)TX consumes 2-4x 
the power of RX, 2) the signal only has to be strong enough to go 
100m, vs several KM for standard cellphones.

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:39:45 -0600

>What no Wi-Fi Hi-Five?
jump ... *smack*

-rick