Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FTC issues fine to RF blockers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:40:02 -0500

FTC issues fine to RF blockers
By Jeffrey Silva
November 18 12:21:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—The Federal Trade Commission Monday said two New York firms that
claimed their devices blocked harmful radiation from cell phones and other
electronic gadgets agreed to pay $85,000 to settle charges brought against them
by U.S. officials.

Tecnozone International L.L.C. and Tecnozone America L.L.C. advertised that
their product—costing $49.99—provided substantial protection from
electromagnetic energy emitted from cell phones. The defendants, according to
the FCC, also claimed the effectiveness of their devices was validated by
studies at major European universities. The FTC alleged that the defendants’
claims were false and unsubstantiated.

In addition to monetary penalty, the settlement with the FTC prohibits the two
companies from making any claims about a product’s ability to reduce exposure
to, or prevent penetration of, electromagnetic energy unless the claims are
true, and they have competent and reliable scientific evidence to substantiate
such claims.

The settlement was filed in federal court in New York last Friday. The accord is
subject to court approval.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15968

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/