Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Bureau reorganized

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:57:51 -0500

Wireless Bureau reorganized

Nov. 24, 2003

WASHINGTON

The Federal Communications Commission today said the Wireless Bureau has been
reorganized to more effectively support strategic goals regarding broadband,
competition, spectrum, media, homeland security and agency modernization. 

The FCC said the scope and size of the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau’s
larger divisions have been reduced to improve managerial oversight, and that
organizational substructures, such as separate branches under the division
level, have been eliminated. 

The agency said the reorganization does not add or remove functions from the
bureau’s portfolio and has been accomplished through the redeployment of
existing positions. 

“This reorganization provides the Wireless Bureau with a structure to address
the dynamic challenges facing a 21st century regulatory agency,” stated John
Muleta, chief of the WTB. “The result is a mission-driven team that will be
innovative in its approach to regulatory policies and customer service.” 

As part of the reorganization, the Bureau now includes the following six
Divisions: 

Auctions and Spectrum Access Division

—Promotes transparent, efficient and effective access to spectrum, through the
development of policy initiatives and legal analysis, as well as procedures and
administrative capability, to implement the FCC’s competitive bidding authority
and the transition of spectrum to new and innovative uses. Addresses issues
relating to statutory authority and objectives, Commission rules and policies,
and the planning, design, and conduct of spectrum auctions. Margaret Wiener,
formerly Chief of the Auctions and Industry Analysis Division, will be the
Division Chief. 

Broadband Division

—Facilitates the rapid, widespread deployment of wireless broadband services to
rural and metropolitan areas. Consolidates the policy, regulatory and licensing
functions for wireless broadband services, excluding public safety and critical
infrastructure services. Joel Taubenblatt, formerly Deputy Chief of the Policy
Division, will be the Division Chief. 

Mobility Division

—Promotes competitive and innovative mobile radio services and maximizes
efficient use of the mobile radio spectrum. Consolidates the policy, regulatory
and licensing functions for wireless mobile services, excluding public safety
and critical infrastructure services. Roger Noel, formerly Deputy Chief of the
Commercial Wireless Division, will be the Division Chief. 

Public Safety and Critical Infrastructure Division

—Consolidates wireless homeland security and public safety issues and outreach
within one Division, including E911 and interoperability issues, as well as
policy, regulatory and licensing functions for both public safety entities and
the nation’s critical infrastructure industries. D’Wana Terry, formerly Chief of
the Public Safety and Private Wireless Division, will be the Division Chief. 

Spectrum and Competition Policy Division

—Formulates and implements innovative spectrum, competition, and infrastructure
policies that promote access to and efficient use of radio spectrum for wireless
telecommunications and encourage competition in the communications marketplace.
Issues include Spectrum Policy Task Force implementation, wireless/wireline
convergence, secondary markets, wireless consumer policy, competition reporting,
facilities and tower siting, and broad policy guidance for future technological
developments. William Kunze, formerly Chief of the Commercial Wireless Division,
will be the Division Chief. 

Spectrum Management Resources and Technologies Division

—Combines the bureau’s information technology, licensing support, and auctions
support and outreach functions (currently divided between two Divisions) in
order to improve planning and implementation of the Bureau’s unique and highly
integrated system needs. John Chudovan, formerly Chief of the Data Management
Division, will be the Division Chief. 

The FCC said the reorganization of the bureau was approved by the commission on
November 13. 

 http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16049

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/