Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Tackles Wireless Items

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:52:51 -0500

FCC Tackles Wireless Items
BY MARK ROCKWELL
NOVEMBER 13, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The FCC covered a vast swath of wireless territory this morning at
its regular meeting, opening up more Wi-Fi spectrum, outlining new interference
parameters and proposing guidelines for advancing wireless E911 requirements.

In the hours before its monthly meeting today, FCC commissioners voted to open
up an additional 255 megahertz of spectrum in the unlicensed 5 GHz range
(5.470-5.725 GHz) in hopes of bolstering advancing Wi-Fi services. The move,
according to Ed Thomas, chief of the FCC's office of engineering and technology,
will help spread new services, such as wireless broadband, to rural areas.
The action was in keeping with the FCC's adherence to recommendations set forth
in the Spectrum Policy Task Force's report to expand spectrum but also makes it
available in flexible ways, according to commissioners. A report on the progress
of how the spectrum policy task force report's recommendations were being
implemented at the commission was presented during the meeting. The report said
opening up new spectrum for such advanced services should be one of the FCC's
goals.
FCC commissioners also voted to begin looking into how to develop an
"interference temperature" that would set a cap on the amount of interference on
transmissions. The FCC issued a notice of inquiry seeking comments from the
public and industry on how to measure and manage the interference temperature
among different services operating in the same bandwidth.

It also asked for comments on rules for a proposed interference temperature
trial at 6525-6700 MHz and portions of 12.75 and 13.25 GHz. Those bands are
currently used in satellite transmissions, and testing the theory there would
present little chance of doing harm to existing service providers in other
occupied bands, Thomas said. "We don't want to foul it up for incumbents," he
said. The test at the two proposed bandwidths would "allow us to try the concept
out and see the good, the bad and the ugly."
FCC commissioners also began honing their approach to difficult areas in
wireless E911 requirements. Multi-line telephone systems, telematics and
satellite phone services have been sore points in E911 implementation because
they aren't traditional "telephone" systems. The commission voted to leave
regulation of E911 implementation on private branch exchanges and large
corporate multi-line telephone systems largely to the states, but didn't rule
out future action. "We could exert jurisdiction" over those areas, said Jeff
Carlisle, deputy bureau chief at the FCC's wireline competition bureau. But the
bureau wants to establish a firm legal basis to proceed, he added.

Certain telematics services, as well as mobile satellite services, resold
cellular services and broadband PCS mobile wireless services, including mobile
prepaid calling card services, should all be subject to E911 requirements,
commissioners said. The requirements vary from service to service. For instance,
MSS carriers that provide interconnected voice service calls are required to
establish call centers for answering E911 calls and forwarding those calls to
public safety answering points, the FCC said. The commission is starting a
further inquiry into whether transition periods for MSS providers with an
ancillary terrestrial component should apply.

The commission also said only those telematics service providers that have
interconnected commercial wireless voice services, in addition to standard
telematic data services such as navigational and roadside assistance alerts,
would be subject to E911 requirements. It added such providers already may have
E911 obligations under existing regulations depending on who owns the wireless
license they use to transmit their services. "Telematics providers that offer
only standard telematics services and link their customers only to an internal
call center can typically provide customers with access to emergency services
when they dial the provider's call center," the FCC said.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=11/13/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/