Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Rat Shack Looks at RFID-RadioShack Announces Agreement With GlobeSecNine to Seek and Develop Personal, Family, Home Security Technologies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:21:04 -0500

RadioShack Corporation

News release 10/31/2003 09:36:06 AM GMT

RadioShack Announces Agreement With GlobeSecNine to Seek and Develop
Personal, Family, Home Security Technologies

(PRESSI.COM 10/31/2003) Privately held investment group and RadioShack
to find
consumer applications for innovative military, law enforcement
technologies

FORT WORTH, Texas - October 29, 2003 - As part of its business
innovation effort announced in September, RadioShack Corporation (NYSE:
RSH) today announced a strategic alliance with GlobeSecNine, a
Washington D.C.-based, privately-held investment group, to identify
declassified military and law enforcement security technologies that
have wide-spread consumer applications for individuals and families.

The multi-year agreement allows GlobeSecNine to leverage RadioShack’s
unique assets of more than 7,000 stores, knowledgeable sales associates
who are equipped to explain new technology to customers, and
manufacturing capabilities to help develop the market for new,
innovative technologies in a timely, cost-effective manner.

The first products identified under the agreement include a variety of
proprietary technologies such as smart cameras for intelligent
monitoring purposes, global asset tracking systems using radio tags to
monitor people or personal property, electronic personal decision aids
for national or local emergency situations, and a power socket alert
system for emergency alert systems. Certain technologies may be
exclusive to RadioShack while other opportunities may offer the
potential of licensing agreements.
“GlobeSecNine is an ideal alliance for us in that it has unique access
to innovative technologies via its broad-based, experienced management
team drawn from law enforcement, military services, the National
Security Council and the private sector," said Len Roberts, RadioShack
chairman and chief executive officer. “In particular, their chief
technical partner, the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies, is plugged
into a multitude of amazing technologies that have countless consumer
applications but no effective way to go to market. That’s where we can
help. A technology is nothing more than an idea unless it finds the
appropriate manufacturing and distribution channels, and we can do both.
We can find the capital or production resources necessary to bring
products to consumers in a marketable, cost-effective fashion."

Roberts said in addition to generating products for sale in its retail
chain, a goal of the union with GlobeSecNine is to identify potential
licensing opportunities for alternate distribution channels that do not
represent a direct conflict to RadioShack’s 7,000-plus stores.

“RadioShack is the ideal stimulus to not only bring innovative security
technologies to the general consumer marketplace, but transform them
from a distinct want to a common need," said Lieutenant General Gregory
S. Newbold (USMC, retired), GlobeSecNine’s co-chairman, chief operating
officer of the Potomac Institute and former director of operations for
the Joint Chiefs of Staff. “This is especially important for security
products, because the first line of defense is a well-informed and
equipped family."

Anthony D. Padgett, chief executive officer of GlobeSecNine, added,
“RadioShack has a vision unlike other retailers in that it has the
market presence and employee resources necessary to successfully launch
and sustain innovative technologies that are not yet commonplace and
require a certain amount of in-store hand-holding in the initial stages
of their life cycle. By leveraging each other’s unique assets, we hope
to create a union that is good for us and the consumer as well."
About RadioShack Corporation

Fort Worth-based RadioShack Corporation (NYSE: RSH) is the nation’s most
trusted consumer electronics specialty retailer of wireless
communications, electronic parts, batteries and accessories as well as
other digital technology products and services. With more than 7,000
outlets nationwide, it is estimated that 94 percent of all Americans
live or work within five minutes of a RadioShack store or dealer. The
company’s knowledgeable sales associates and brand position - “You’ve
Got Questions. We’ve Got Answers.®" - support RadioShack’s mission to
demystify technology in every neighborhood in America. For more
information on the company, visit the RadioShack Corporation Web site at
www.radioshackcorporation.com. For more information on RadioShack
products and services, visit its e-commerce Web site at
www.radioshack.com .

About GlobeSecNine

GlobeSecNine, a private investment firm, concentrates its investment
focus on sectors in which is has built recognized expertise: security,
defense and counter-terrorism. The company’s mission is to be the
leading private equity firm in the security sector, leveraging the
insight of GlobeSecNine’s executive team and board of advisors to
generate extraordinary returns across a range of investment choices,
while maintaining its focus on improving the security of the USA, its
allies and their citizens and businesses. GlobeSecNine is affiliated
with the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies, one of America’s
preeminent technology and public policy research institutions, whose
clients include the most renowned government laboratories and numerous
university and private labs. For more information on GlobeSecNine, visit
www.GlobeSecNine.com.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xlw.sC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/