Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC OK's HP's Wi-Fi-enabled iPAQ h4155

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:49:15 -0500

FCC OK's HP's Wi-Fi-enabled iPAQ h4155

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has approved the release of Hewlett
Packard's new iPAQ in the U.S. According to the user manual filed with the FCC,
the h4155 offers two forms of wireless networking: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It will
be 4.47 inches long, 2.78 inches wide, and .53 inches thick, which makes it
similar in size to the HP's h1900 series. At 4.67 ounces it is also only a bit
heavier. It appears that HP has managed to squeeze Wi-Fi into the h1900 series
without adding much to the size or weight. The h4155 will run Windows Mobile
2003 for Pocket PCs on a 400 MHz Intel XScale PXA255 processor.  It will have 64
MB of RAM and 32 MB of ROM. In addition, it will have a 2.8 MB iPAQ File Store,
which is nonvolatile memory.

=================================================================

FCC Approves iPAQ h4155
By Ed Hardy | Editor-in-Chief
Oct 1, 2003

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has given Hewlett Packard its
approval to release a new iPAQ in the United States.Though leaked information
had already given a fairly complete picture of this model, the documents filed
with the FCC disagree with the previous information in a few areas. In addition,
it lays to rest a rumor about this device's sister model, the iPAQ h4355.

According to the user manual filed with the FCC, the h4155 offers two forms of
wireless networking:
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

It will be 4.47 inches long, 2.78 inches wide, and .53 inches thick (113mm by
71mm by 14mm), which makes it almost exactly the same size as HP's h1900 series.
At 4.67 ounces (125g) is also only a bit heavier. It seems HP has essentially
managed to squeeze Wi-Fi into the h1900 series without adding much to the size
or weight.

The h4155 will run Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PCs on a 400 MHz Intel XScale
PXA255 processor. It will have 64MB of RAM and 32 MB of ROM. In addition, it
will have a 2.8 MB iPAQ File Store, which is nonvolatile memory.

It will include a 3.5-inch transflective screen capable of displaying 16-bit
color. This will be at the Pocket PC-standard resolution of 240 by 320 pixels.
This model will also have an SD slot that supports SDIO. Happily, it will
include a headphone jack that is the standard 3.5 mm, so it won't require the
adapter the h1900 series needs.

According to the earlier rumors, the h4155 will have consumer IR and come with
an application that allows it to be used as a universal remote. However, there
is no mention of this in the user manual.
This model will include a 1000 mAh battery that is swappable. It will also come
with a cradle.
According to leaked information, the iPAQ h4155 will cost $449 when it is
released later this year.

The iPAQ h4355

The h4155 isn't the only h4000 series model coming soon from HP. The company is
planning a second model, the iPAQ h4355. This one hasn't been given HP approval
but the user manual filed with the FCC covers the whole h4000 series.

The h4355 will have a very different design from its series mate. This model
will include an integrated thumboard to make writing emails and instant messages
easier. There have been some rumors floating around that bottom part of the
h4355 will slide up to cover the keyboard. According to the user manual, this
isn't true.

Despite the external differences, under the hood both handhelds are quite
similar. The h4355 will also run Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC on a 400 MHz
Intel XScale processor, have 64 MB of RAM, and 32 MB of ROM. It will include the
2.8 MB iPAQ File Store.

Both handhelds will have a 3.5-inch, 16-bit transflective screen and an SD slot
that supports SDIO. Like its sister model, this device will have both Wi-Fi and
Bluetooth, giving it multiple options for connecting to the Internet without
wires.

The h4355 will be 5.46 inches long, 2.94 inches wide, and .57 inches thick
(138.7mm by 74.6mm by 14.5mm). The weight will be 5.82 ounces (165 g). It will
have a 1560 mAh, swappable battery.
The iPAQ h4355 is expected to cost $499 when it hits the market before the end
of this year.
All the documentation filed with the FCC about these handhelds can be found on
this government agency's web site.

Thanks to Serdar Demirel and Duncan for the tips.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/FCC_Approves_iPAQ_h4155

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/