Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: NEXTEL strikes again!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:58:19 -0500

Tell us more-
What were the exact circumstances?

We have a bunch of Nextel V.P.'s on our list and they have been fairly
responsive to minor and major issues in the past. They do not to like being in
the spot light in front of other carriers and the  media.

Marcel

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Finch [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 16:46
> Subject:  NEXTEL strikes again!
>
> Hello,
>
> Just a quick note about an incident that happened to a friends 800 MHz
> trunking system.
>
> All of a sudden Monday morning all of his customers started calling saying
> the trunk system was off the air, sure enough after a quick trip by a
> technician it was off the air!  Matter of fact it was GONE!  All 5 channels
> had disappeared over the weekend!  He called me wanting to know if I had
> seen anyone there, I obviously said no.  I guess he continued to call around
> till he found someone that had been at the tower, sure enough it was NEXTEL!
> One of their technicians deconstructed the system!--

    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:42:20 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Paul Finch" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re:  NEXTEL strikes again!

Hello,

It's just like I said in the earlier email, all he knew was this morning
their customers started calling with complaints of the system being down, he
dispatched a technician only to find the whole 5 channel system gone,
removed!  These are mounted in open racks in a huge tower building, the
tower itself is over 800 feet tall.  The last they know it worked was Friday
evening.

I worked for my friends Dad for over ten years before he passed away and
have done work for the sons since.  I don't know a lot more than that, it
just seems bad that it's going to take another 24 hours of downtime before
he gets his equipment back!  There is just no excuse for that!  I guess
that's one way to get rid of the competition!  I know I should not say
things like that but it makes you wonder!

Thanks for all the understanding replies!

Paul

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 4:58 PM
  To:[email-masked]
  Subject:  Re: NEXTEL strikes again!

  Tell us more-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:02:41 EST

We got a call about a system about 280 miles north of us  (chicago) that has 
to be put back on the air right away is this the system ?.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:08:21 -0500

Can somebody advise the location

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:22:42 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Paul Finch" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  RE: NEXTEL strikes again!

Wow is right!

He was not behind on rent.  His family used to own this tower.

He has never made any arrangements with NEXTEL.  His Father sold his systems
to Fleetcall many years ago before he passed away, this system was
constructed long after that!

Yes, they removed it from the site and as far as I know he does not know
where they took the equipment, it's just gone and will not be back till
tomorrow at 1:30 PM.

Since my last email to the group I found out from a technician friend in
Houston, Texas that they tried several times to deconstruct a trunking
system in Brenham, Texas that they did not own.  Apparently it almost came
to blows before the owner could convince the NEXTEL tech that he had no
right to take the equipment.

It seems that if their techs see a 800 or 900 MHz trunk system they think
it's theirs and try and deconstruct it even if it has someone else's company
name on it!  I realize that they do own a lot of these systems but there is
still a lot owned by companies other than NEXTEL.

I will see my friend tomorrow at 1:30 PM and put it back together, I will
let you guys know if I find out any more details.  It's going to be an
interesting day!

If you want more details you can email me directly but I won't put my
friends name on the message board.

Paul

  -----Original Message-----
  From: marcel_rf1 [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 6:43 PM
  Subject:  RE: NEXTEL strikes again!

  --- In [email-masked], Jack Daniel <JackDaniel@R...> wrote:
  WOW!  Is there another side to this story?

  Was the guy long past due on his rent and the tower owner gave Nextel
  permission? (They shouldn't have done it even then though!)

  Did a system customer trade his stuff with Nextel and tell them he
  owned
  the station as well?

  Did they remove the equipment from the site and. if so, where did they
  take it?

  Tell us more.

  Maybe one the lawyers here can advise us, but I'm under the impression
  it is a federal violation to intentionally disable an FCC authorized
  station of any kind without the licensees permission.

  If it ain't, I might visit some cell sites this weekend! ;-)

  If you have a case, don't settle for chump change.

  =====================================

  Marcelrf@B... wrote:
  > From: "Bill Smith" <brs.comm@c...>
  > Subject: RE:  NEXTEL strikes again!
  >
  > Is your friend talking to his lawyer about filing theft charges?
  And suing
  > for lost business and damages? If Nextel had no right in the
  building, there
  > is the matter of trespass as well. I am not a lawyer, some would
  say not
  > much of a tech either :-) Talking to a Police Officer friend about
  a company
  > that would not return some old 2-way equipment, he claims that even
  though
  > they returned the equipment, it was still taken and held without
  consent and
  > they can be charged with the theft.
  >
  > When you reinstall things, try bolting the cabinets to the floor
  and adding
  > non standard locks. An old two-tone paging encoder to a mobile with
  a
  > decoder on one of the channels as an alarm wouldn't be a bad idea.
  >
  > I would have no problem charging Nextel at least twice my normal
  rate. After
  > all, you had to rearrange your schedule to handle this job right?
  >
  > From: Paul Finch [mailto:paulfinch@t...]
  > seen anyone there, I obviously said no.  I guess he continued to
  call
  > around
  > One of their technicians deconstructed the system!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:23:45 -0500

Maybe Nextel accidentally disconnected more than one system!

Paul Finch wrote:

> No, this one is not in Chicago.
>
> Paul
>
>   Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 7:08 PM
>   To: Tower-pro; [email-masked]
>   Subject: [Tower-pro] RE: NEXTEL strikes again!
>
>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>               ADVERTISEMENT
>   Got something to sell ?
>   Sign up at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tower-stuff4sale/join
>   -or-  mailto:[email-masked]
>
>   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:03:09 -0500

Thanks Alan.....

-------- Original Message --------
   From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] RE: NEXTEL strikes again!
     To: [email-masked]

 To make a long story short, this is a client of ours for about 20 years, Allan
Bell (some of you may remember his dad, Bob Bell, of Bell Communications) in
Fort Worth, Texas). The facts as described to me by Allan are pretty similar as
reported by Mr. Finch (whom I do not know), and the situation is being taken
care of. Alan S. TillesShulman, Rogers, Gandal, Pordy & Ecker, P.A.11921
Rockville Pike, Third FloorRockville, Maryland 20852www.shulmanrogers.com In a
message dated 11/17/2003 8:49:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email-masked] writes:

     Wow is right!

     He has never made any arrangements with NEXTEL.  His Father sold his
     systems
     to Fleetcall many years ago before he passed away, this system was
     constructed long after that!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:35:20 EST

I am in chicago 280 miles north puts it in wi thats were we go the call about 
from nextel as we have taken down several systems up there as well as in 
chicago land .

---

From: "Cathy Sutter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:52:35 -0700

Hi all,

From my experience with the deconstruction/warehouse people in Texas...I'm not surprised to hear that a system was removed by mistake.   What many probably don't  know is Nextel  "subs out "  the system removals to outside techs,  radio shops and various  tower site contacts throughout the country.  In fact , my company was hired to remove an 800 Motorola system here in Arizona.   If I hadn't known the site owner personally....and coordinated the removal with him directly....I could see where a system could be removed by mistake.  Especially if... "whomever"  was hired to remove a particular block of channes had no radio background or knowledge or the exact  frequencies tied to the system. 

Unfortunately...it's a difficult job for the Abilene warehouse people to keep track of the thousands of repeaters located on thousands of sites throughout the US.  Many of these systems were sold  years ago and have been sitting dark.... but Nextel is just now getting around to removing them. 

  I'm in no way defending Nextel and the unfortunate removal of a working system....but given what I know it's doesn't surprise me.   My experience with the Texas warehouse has always been cordial ( especially Tina ) and I can only imagine what difficulty they have trying to decipher the demands of corporate. 

 Just wanted to shed a different light on this unfortunate story.

Cathy Sutter
President
Pro-Tec Mobile Communications Inc.
1641 North Pinal Ave
Casa Grande, Az 85222
520-836-2025 office
520-836-0198 fax

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:41:50 EST

In a message dated 11/18/2003 1:10:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
Bell Communications is fortunate to have someone like you that has the
experience of also having been an attorney for Nextel.  
Jack, I'm not sure whether you make this statement out of a lack of 
knowledge, or some other reason, but I have never, ever "been an attorney for Nextel."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:19:05 EST

In the Upper 200 retune, this was an unfortunate occurence on more than one 
occasion.  Specifically, even though the SMR operator was doing a retune (and 
not selling), a local Nextel salesman would tell the customer that the SMR 
operator was selling out and going out of business.  We even have a recording of 
one Nextel salesman leaving a voice mail to this effect on the customer's voice 
mail system.  The customer was a public safety agency which utilizes an EDACS 
SMR System.  I have addressed this with Nextel with regard to the re-banding 
situation, and we're going to work out a means to address this.

Alan T.

In a message dated 11/18/2003 3:34:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
Interesting stuff.. 

We had some reps here last week that were telling us Denver PD was abandoning 
there current radio system (what, 4000+ user Edacs trunking system?) in favor 
of a total switch to nextel, which all of us here know as utter b/s.

I called there bluff, and they backed down.

I wonder how many people buy that b/s.  Scary.

Jason

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:12:03 EST

Unfortunately, as much fun as would have been had if there was some real 
purposeful nastiness on Nextel's part, it wasn't as sinister as that (darn!).  
Turns out that Nextel was ending its tower lease at the site with American (as 
American was hiking the rent), and went to take down any equipment that they had 
at the site.  This particular equipment apparently (we're not sure) was 
mis-labeled as Pittencrief equipment (which Nextel had bought) and so the folks 
thought that it should be taken away.

As background, Allan and David Bell had done a spectrum deal in Dallas with 
AMI, and the systems later merged with Pittencrief, which then was sold to 
Nextel.  So, lots of other freqs. at the site owned by the Bells had been sold 
(eventually) to Nextel, but not these, so confusion is not suprising.  The 
mistake that the personnel made was not checking the frequencies on these repeaters, 
which would have confirmed that they weren't operating on Nextel frequencies. 
 Nextel (so I'm told) have changed their procedures as a result to make sure 
that a similar situation doesn't happen again.

Alan T.

In a message dated 11/21/2003 9:43:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
Sources confirm the system removed by NEXTEL has been re-installed and is back
on the air.
Nextel Corp has assumed responsibility for the removal of the equipment. 
Nextel
has said they will  they will foot the bill for the re-installation.

This situation demonstrates how careless Nextel is and the need for perimeter
protection of all site equipment.

Marcel-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:31:46 EST

Alan T.

Marcel-