Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Makes Additional Spectrum Available For Unlicensed Use

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:54:51 -0500

FCC Makes Additional Spectrum Available For Unlicensed Use

Washington, DC
November 13, 2003

As part of its ongoing effort to promote more flexible, innovative, and market
driven uses of the radio spectrum, the FCC today made available an additional
255 megahertz of spectrum in the 5.470-5.725 GHz band for unlicensed devices. 

In the Report and Order approved yesterday, the Commission made the spectrum
available for use by unlicensed National Information Infrastructure (U-NII)
devices, including Radio Local Area Networks (RLANs), operating under Part 15 of
the FCC’s rules.  This increases the spectrum available for use by unlicensed
devices in the 5 GHz region of the spectrum by nearly 80% -- and is a
significant increase in the spectrum available for unlicensed devices across the
overall radio spectrum.  This action will also harmonize the spectrum available
for these U-NII devices throughout the world, enabling manufacturers to reduce
product development costs by allowing the same products to be used in many parts
of the world.

The additional available spectrum for U-NII devices will enable continued growth
and innovation in wireless broadband services, including services offered by
wireless internet service providers (WISPs).  WISPs use unlicensed devices to
provide a broadband alternative for rural and underserved areas.  Although they
are a relatively nascent industry, their deployment rates have been increasing
rapidly.  

In addition to making additional spectrum available for U-NII devices, the
Commission also adopted several allocation changes consistent with the results
of the 2003 World Radio Conference and an agreement reached with the U.S.
Department of Defense, the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA).  These changes will ensure that critical Federal
Government operations are protected from harmful interference.  In addition to
the allocation changes, to provide federal users with additional protection from
harmful interference, the Order requires that U NII devices operating in the
5.250 5.350 GHz and the 5.470 5.725 GHz bands employ dynamic frequency selection
(DFS) – a listen-before-talk mechanism -- and transmit power control (TPC).  

Action by the Commission November 12, 2003, by Report and Order (FCC 03 287). 
Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and Adelstein. 
Chairman Powell issuing a statement and Commissioner Abernathy issuing a
separate statement.

Office of Engineering and Technology contact:  Ahmed Lahjouji at (202) 418-2061

ET Docket No. 03 – 122
 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-241220A1.doc

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/