Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia Launches GSM PTT Handset

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:51:18 -0500

Nokia Launches GSM PTT Handset 

By Susan Rush
November 12, 2003

The No. 1 handset maker is getting into the push-to-talk game with the
introduction of the Nokia 5140 GSM phone.

 http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,48662,00.html 

The walkie-talkie like service is a half-duplex voice over IP solution that uses
existing GPRS and EDGE data networks, Nokia says. The phone also sports a
digital compass, a built-in VGA camera, a flashlight and a Fitness Coach
application that includes a stopwatch and a feature to keep track of workout
routines. 

The GSM/GPRS/EDGE handset, which will make its commercial market debut in the
second quarter of next year, will come in two versions: the GSM 900/1800/1900
MHz version will be targeted to the Europe/Asia market, while the 850/1900/1800
MHz version will be available primarily in the Americas.

Nokia says it is fully embracing the PTT space, with plans to roll out a full
range of PTT-capable GSM handsets next year, including the Symbian OS-based
smartphones. Starting in 2005, the handset maker says all GPRS/WCDMA phones from
Nokia will sport the walkie-talkie like feature.

On the carrier side, the PTT arena has been a hotbed of activity as of late. For
nearly a decade, Nextel Communications Inc. enjoyed some solitude, but Verizon
Wireless recently got into the market, introducing a walkie-talkie like service
of its own. Sprint PCS is expected to follow suit within the coming weeks. Other
carriers also are expected to enter the space soon.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=128392&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/