Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Army copter gets new communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:50:24 -0500

Army copter gets new communications

 BY Frank Tiboni
 Nov. 13, 2003

 The Army will use the Link 16 network instead of the Enhanced
 Position Locating Reporting System as the RAH-66 Comanche
 stealth helicopter's communications system, according to a service
 memo.

 Comanche is the Army's next-generation reconnaissance and
 attack helicopter, and it will start flying September 2009. Although
 the helicopter was originally meant to use EPLRS, Army officials
 cited concerns about the system's radio frequency limitations
 compared to satellite-based communications systems, stated the
 memo. The memo detailed a Nov. 4 meeting about the helicopters
 by top service officials, including Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter
 Schoomaker.

 "Take EPLRS out of Comanche Block 1 and integrate TADIL-J
 Link-16 in its place," the Army memo said. The office of Claude
 Bolton, assistant secretary of the Army for acquisition, logistics and
technology, will lead the
 effort assisted by Training and Doctrine Command (Tradoc) located at Fort
Monroe, Va.

 The Army likely chose Link 16 over EPLRS because missions in Iraq and
Afghanistan proved
 the coverage and value of satellite communications versus radio systems. Link
16 is a
 high-capacity, secure digital communications system that supplies near
real-time data and
 connects tactical commanders to warfighters in the air, on the ground and at
sea. EPLRS is a
 networked, software-programmable, data distribution system equipped with
cryptology and an
 expanded radio-frequency range.

 Tradoc will also submit a report due Dec. 3 to Schoomaker on what makes the
stealthy-looking
 helicopter program with a price tag of almost $60 billion worth funding. "Which
aspects of the
 Comanche make it really special? Determine what could really make this aircraft
'special' and
 focus on those aspects," the Army memo said.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/1110/web-eplrs-11-13-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/