Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New York Wireless Projects Center Planned

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:25:44 -0500

New York Wireless Projects Center Planned

New York state officials, top technology executives, sponsors and wireless
carriers gathered yesterday in Long Island to demonstrate the need for a
wireless center. The center, which will be dubbed "Center of Excellence," will
act as a think-tank, focusing on the health care, transportation and mobile
commerce industries. The $50 million building will be located along the North
shore of the island near Stony Brook University and will also serve as a point
for research labs and collaboration projects. The facility will incorporate a
prototype wireless home and a "wireless city." It is expected to draw $250
million in investments over the next five years and is expected to create
thousands of jobs.

===================================================================

Plans Advance for Wireless Center

By Mark Harrington
STAFF WRITER

November 14, 2003

With their planned $50-million building stalled in a land dispute, Long Island's
technology leaders
gathered off-site yesterday to tout plans and advance projects of a wireless
"Center of Excellence" they
say will be built near Stony Brook University within three years.

The event, with headliners that included top executives from Computer
Associates, Cingular Wireless and Symbol
Technologies, drew around 600 local tech leaders and aspirants intent on
fulfilling Gov. George Pataki's state-funded dream of
making Long Island a mecca for wireless and information technology.

More than a dozen sponsors, including CA, LIPA, IBM and Symbol, footed the bill
for the event, which Peter Goldsmith,
president of the Long Island Technology Network, said was designed to show
Pataki the Island was taking the commitment
seriously.

While Pataki was a no-show, the event served a second purpose of bringing
together those who are expected to contribute the
resources that will keep the center active once construction of a
100,000-square-foot facility is complete. In addition to
research labs and collaboration projects, the facility is also expected to
incorporate a prototype wireless home and a "wireless
city." It's expected to draw $250 million in investments over the next five
years, university officials said.

Key projects at the center will focus on the health care, transportation and
mobile commerce industries, officials said.

Joseph Campolo, vice president of Expedite Video Conferencing Services in
Westbury, said the company is contributing to the
venture software that allows wireless control of multiple conferencing sites,
using Stony Brook students in its development
efforts.

One early sponsor that didn't attend was Reuters International, a company that
the governor last year said would contribute up
to 1,000 jobs. A Reuters spokesman said yesterday the company is cutting jobs,
however, and has moved much of its
development activities off Long Island to Manhattan. He said Reuters is still
working on wireless projects at Stony Brook.

Other companies have taken up the torch. The largest donation to date has come
in the form of a $6.8-million software
contribution from an Oregon company, Mentor Graphics. Islandia-based CA has
donated software, research and
development, and people to projects at the center, which was in part the
brainchild of chief executive and chairman Sanjay
Kumar.

In a keynote, Kumar pointed to new wireless technologies and projects he said
will be vital to "keeping Long Island at the
center and forefront of innovation."

He spoke of the promise of radio frequency ID technology, "mesh networks" for
roaming devices that join various networks on
the fly, and "smart dust," ever tinier wireless sensors embedded into household
items, as among the center's focus areas.

Yacov Shamash, dean of Stony Brook's college of engineering and applied
sciences, said even without Reuters, the center will
still create "thousands of jobs" once a land dispute between the university and
Gyrodyne Co., which owns the property the
university is attempting to annex, is settled.

http://www.newsday.com/business/printedition/ny-bzwire143541836nov14,0,3178063.story?coll=ny-business-print

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/