Subject: [NEXTEL-1] With more stress in workplace, firms must combat 'desk rage'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:43:14 -0500

With more stress in workplace, firms must combat 'desk rage'
Source: Boulder County Business Report
Publication date: 2003-09-19
Arrival time: 2003-11-03

<SNIP>
One manager at Nextel routinely hands out stress toys and squeezies in
the call center.  Managers organize little carnivals on the floor,
festivals in the parking lot and game shows.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnnmoney/Story.nsp?story_id=43272378&ID=cnnmoney&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:47:22 -0500

No wonder customers have so many complaints. Everyone is playing with Toys and going to carnivals.

Timmy is this how business gets DONE? Hahahahhaha!

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: Dave Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:02:42 -0700

> Toys and going to carnivals.

I'm assuming you've never worked or supervised a call center?

-- 
Dave Warren,
 Email Address:  [email-masked]
 Cell: (403) 371-3470         Fax: (403) 371-3471
 Toll free: (888) 371-3470 Vonage: (817) 886-0860
 ICQ: 17848192  AIM: devilspgd  Yahoo!: devilspgd
 MSN/PASSPORT:   [email-masked]

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:27:23 -0000

I have only walked through one.........What a Zoooooo!

--- In [email-masked], Dave Warren <maillist@d...> wrote:
> Marcelrf@B... wrote:
>  Email Address:  dave.warren@d...
>  MSN/PASSPORT:   dave.warren@d...

---

From: "Dave Warren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:03:53 -0700

> I have only walked through one.........What a Zoooooo!

I've worked in a couple (ISP consumer, ISP corporate, ISP technical support,
telco), and from my experience, the more freedom the reps have and the more
enjoyment, fun little activities, games, all that, the more effective the
reps will be on the phones.

However, there are people that abuse this freedom, and as a result, many
call centers end up cracking down, turning into work camps rather then
enjoyable places to work.  Stats like adherence to schedule go up, stats
like customer satisfaction go down.

---

From: Evan Platt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:28:47 -0800

> like customer satisfaction go down.

Agreed... I worked at a Medical Software company for 5 years. We had REALLY
good headsets that had good noise filtering to the point that I learned
that I could have my computer playing somewhat loud music - to the point of
entertaining the others in the office but the customer on the phone
wouldn't hear.. And occasionally we'd get a call from a "Oki" as we'd call
em from Kentucky or somewhere else who'd never used a computer before in
their life, yet they got hired by a doctors office to run their billing
management. So whenever this happened, we'd play "Dueling Banjos"  in the
background.

We were of course a lawsuit waiting to happen.... but that's a story for
the R Rated boards.

Evan