Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New to Group

From: "gebest2003" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 18:41:11 -0000

Hello : I am new to this group, any and all help learning Iden will 
be Greatly appreciated...Thank's in advance ! Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:10:37 -0500

Hey Mark,

Welcome aboard!

I recommend iDEN "Class 101A"  which will give you a quick overview. Once you
complete that feel free to post any questions you may have. If this is too
elementary we can bump you up to a more advanced Class.

Marcel
===========================================================

(1999) REPOST- iDEN class 101A

From: marcelrf <[email-masked]>

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1

Subject: iDEN CLASS 101A the basic
(REPOST)

Hi all:

I have been getting a few technical
questions regarding iDEN operation.
For thoses who missed the earlier class
here we go.
This is a repost from 4/10/99.
Here is the basic operations of iDEN
Technology!

iDEN=
Integrated Dispatch Enhanced Network

iDEN (Integrated Dispatch Enhanced Network) is

functionally the same as MIRS (Motorola Integrated Radio

System) except for difference in signaling characteristics.

iDEN is a high-capacity digital trunked radio system

providing integrated voice and data services to its users. The

iDEN system uses M16-QAM digital modulation and VSELP

(Vector Sum Excited Linear Predictor) speech coding

techniques coupled with Time Division Multiple Access

(TDMA) channel access methodology to enhance channel

capacity and system services.

System Characteristics

The following paragraphs highlight significant characteristics

and features of iDEN digital trunked radio systems. In these

descriptions, the term "fixed end system" refers to all

infrastructure equipment, including base radio repeaters, site

controllers and switching equipment. The term "mobile radio"

is used as a general term referring to both mobile and portable

radio equipment.

TDMA/Channel Definition

Conventional trunking systems define a control or traffic

channel by specifying a set of inbound and outbound

frequencies to a user. The outbound frequency is the

transmitter frequency of the base radio repeater, and the

inbound frequency is the mobile radio transmitter frequency.

In the iDEN system, a single inbound/outbound frequency

pair is shared among six users through the creation and use

of six 15-millisecond time slots. Each user transmits and

receives during (and only during) one of the time slot

intervals, so that the transmission from any given mobile

radio is a pulsed RF signal with a 1/6 or 1/3 duty cycle. The base

radio is able to transmit and receive during any of the six or three

time slots. Each mobile radio user is assigned a unique channel

designation, which is defined by both a carrier number and a

time slot definition. The carrier number specifies the inbound/

outbound frequency pair.

M16-QAM Digital Modulation

The iDEN system uses M16-QAM modulation, a Motorola

proprietary digital format utilizing M16-QAM modulation on

four subcarriers. This format involves both amplitude and

phase modulation.

Signal Formats Carrier Numbers vs.

Frequencies

Three different signal formats are used in iDEN systems:

iDEN, DJSMR, and DMCA. DJSMR and DMCA are

international formats.

The frequency plan for domestic iDEN systems (i.e., those

using the iDEN signal format) employs carrier numbers to

designate channel frequencies. The relationships of carrier

numbers to inbound and outbound frequencies are as follow:

Inbound frequency (mobile transmit) = [(0.0125 x carrier

number) + 806] MHz

Outbound frequency (fixed end transmit) = [(0.0125 x carrier

number) + 851] MHz

Audio Digitization and Compression

Since iDEN is a digital trunking system, the audio coming

from a user's microphone is digitized to produce a digital bit

stream that becomes the modulating signal for the RF carrier.

To make more efficient use of the channel, the digitized audio

is compressed using a VSELP vocoder prior to being fed to

the modulator.

iDEN Mobile Operations

Control Channel Acquisition

When first powered up, an iDEN mobile radio scans selected

iDEN frequencies and locks on to the designated control

channel. The control channel carries information

continuously broadcast by the fixed end system regarding

system identification and timing parameters for the mobile

radio to use when it operates on the system. The control

channel also defines the maximum transmit power that radios

on the system may use.

Mobile Synchronization

In its operational mode, the mobile radio aligns its frequency

and transmit timing to the outbound signal received from the

fixed end system.

Mobile Registration

Each mobile radio in an iDEN system is identified by an

international mobile station identifier (IMSI), which is

assigned to it when it is first placed in service and performs

an initial registration with the fixed end system. When making

its registration request, the mobile radio supplies its

international mobile equipment identifier (IMEI) to the fixed

end system. After determining the validity of the IMEI, the

fixed end station assigns an IMSI to the subscriber radio.

Mobile Assisted Handovers [email-masked]

The assignment of an IMSI and dispatch IDs are important

concepts in testing iDEN mobile radios, since a radio that has

not been assigned appropriate IDs cannot place a dispatch or

interconnect call. A radio that has not yet been placed in

service, or one that has been subjected to a master reset since

it was in service, will not contain IMSI and dispatch ID

assignments.

When operating in a moving vehicle, an iDEN mobile radio

can assist the fixed end system in determining when a

handover to another cell should be executed. Whenever the

mobile radio is not actually transmitting or receiving a signal

from the fixed end system, it monitors outbound signals from

neighboring cells and measures the received power and signal

quality of these signals. When it determines that the signal

from a neighboring cell is of higher quality than the signal

from the fixed end system in its currently assigned cell, it

transmits a handover request to the fixed end system. The

iDEN infrastructure can also query a mobile radio for a

measurement report. The mobile radio then transmits data

back to the fixed end system indicating the received signal

strength detected and measured by the mobile radio.

iDEN Call Scenario

When a mobile radio places a call on an iDEN system, it goes

through a series of system handshakes to establish the
call.

An example of an interconnect call follows:

1. When the mobile radio is powered up, it scans and

locks on to a control channel.

2. The mobile radio registers on the system.

3. When it initiates a call, the mobile radio places a

service request on the control channel.

4. The fixed end system assigns the mobile radio to

dedicated control channel.

5. The mobile radio uses the dedicated control channel

to transmit the information required by the fixed end

system to complete the call.

6. The fixed end system assigns the mobile radio to a

traffic channel to be used for communication of voice

or data.

iDEN Mobile Transmit Power Control

1. The maximum power to be transmitted by a mobile

radio on the system is defined in the control channel

system information. Under no circumstances will the

mobile radio's transmitted power ever exceed this

limit.

2. However, the mobile radio does not always transmit

at the maximum power allowed on the system. Each

time it initiates or receives a call, the mobile radio

determines the signal strength of its received signal.

Based on this measurement and the power control

constant defined on the control channel, it then adjusts

its transmit power level to a level just high enough to

ensure clear reception of its signal by its intended

recipients.
-------------------------------------

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "MARK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:31:10 -0500

Thank you ! I will go through this first, Once again Thank's
                                                                    Regards
                                                                    Mark 
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: [email-masked] 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 2:10 PM
  Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] New to Group

  Hey Mark,

  Welcome aboard!

  Marcel

  Hi all:

  iDEN=

  System Characteristics

  radio equipment.

  TDMA/Channel Definition

  outbound frequency pair.

  phase modulation.

  Frequencies

  international formats.

  number) + 806] MHz

  number) + 851] MHz

  the modulator.

  iDEN Mobile Operations

  on the system may use.

  Mobile Synchronization

  fixed end system.

  Mobile Registration

  assignments.

  iDEN Call Scenario

  or data.

  limit.

  recipients.

  > be Greatly appreciated...Thank's in advance ! Mark

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor 
              ADVERTISEMENT

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:52:50 -0500

Roger Dat-

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG