Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Amendment of Parts 2, 25, and 87 of the Commission's Rules

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:38:34 -0500

Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of

Amendment of Parts 2, 25, and 87 of the Commission's Rules to Implement
Decisions from World Radiocommunication Conferences Concerning Frequency
Bands Between 28 MHz and 36 GHz and to Otherwise Update the Rules in
this Frequency Range

Amendment of Parts 2 and 25 of the Commission's Rules to Allocate
Spectrum For Government and Non-Government Use in the
Radionavigation-Satellite Service

ET Docket No. 02-305

RM-10331

REPORT AND ORDER

   Adopted:  October 31, 2003 Released:  November 4, 2003

By the Commission:

INTRODUCTION

1. By this action, we amend Parts 2, 25, and 87 of our Rules to
implement domestically various allocation decisions from several World
Radiocommunication Conferences (“WRCs”) concerning the frequency bands
between 28 MHz and 36 GHz, and to otherwise update our Rules in this
frequency range.  The following actions are the most significant to
non-Federal Government operations: (1) implementation of generic
mobile-satellite service (“MSS”) allocations in the bands 1525-1559 MHz
and 1626.5-1660.5 MHz (“L-band”); (2) allocation of the band 1164-1215
MHz to the radionavigation-satellite service (“RNSS”); (3) deletion of
unused and limited fixed-satellite service (“FSS”) and
broadcasting-satellite service (“BSS”) allocations from the band
2500-2690 MHz; and (4) upgrade of the Earth exploration-satellite
service (“EESS”) allocation in the band 25.5-27 GHz from secondary to
primary.  In addition, at the request of the National Telecommunications
and Information Administration (“NTIA”), we implement various allocation
changes for the space science services and the inter-satellite service
(“ISS”), most of which involve spectrum primarily used by the Federal
Government.   These actions conform our Rules to previous WRC decisions
and are expected to provide significant benefits to the American public.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

2. In this Report and Order (“R&O”), we provide for generic MSS
allocations across all of the frequencies in the bands 1525-1559 MHz and
1626.5-1660.5 MHz.  Specifically, we expand the primary allocation in
the bands 1545-1549.5 MHz, 1558.5-1559 MHz, 1646.5-1651 MHz, and
1660-1660.5 MHz from the aeronautical mobile-satellite (route) service
(“AMS(R)S”) to all services within the MSS while preserving the status
of AMS(R)S.  The effect of this action is that the bands 1545-1559 MHz
and 1646.5-1660.5 MHz will be made available to all types of MSS
communications on a primary basis, rather than segmented for specialized
use.  This action permits more efficient use of this radio spectrum and
facilitates the expansion of MSS use globally.  In addition, we delete
the existing primary maritime mobile-satellite service (“MMSS”) and MSS
allocations in the bands 1530-1544 MHz and 1626.5-1645.5 MHz, as they
would now be superfluous.  We also delete the secondary allocation for
aeronautical telemetry from the band 1525-1535 MHz to remove potentially
conflicting allocations.
3. We allocate the band 1164-1215 MHz to the RNSS for space-to-Earth
(“downlink”) and space-to-space transmissions in order to accommodate a
new civil global positioning system (“GPS”) signal.   This action
permits the addition of GPS signal “L5,” which supports the
safety-of-life requirements demanded by civil aviation.  We also
allocate the bands 1215-1240 MHz and 1559-1610 MHz, which are currently
limited to RNSS downlinks, for RNSS space-to-space transmissions as
well. This action allows use of spaceborne RNSS receivers for scientific
and commercial applications.

4. We delete the flight test and radiolocation allocations in the band
2320-2345 MHz because of the potential for conflict between these
services and the Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service (“Satellite
DARS”), which has been brought into operation in this band.  We also
delete the unused FSS and BSS allocations from the band 2500-2690 MHz in
order to remove allocations that are not compatible with two-way fixed
and mobile operations that are operating and anticipated in the band.

5. We further implement domestically various allocation decisions from
several WRCs concerning the space science services and the ISS.  In this
regard, we take the following actions:

 Revise secondary allocations for the Federal Government EESS  and the
Federal Government space research service (“SRS”)  from secondary to
primary status in 950 megahertz of spectrum in eight frequency bands and
specify that these allocations are to be used for active sensor
operations (“EESS (active)” and “SRS (active)”):  5250-5255 MHz,
5255-5350 MHz, 8550-8650 MHz, 9500-9800 MHz, 13.4-13.75 GHz, and
17.2-17.3 GHz.

 Modify the non-Federal Government/Federal Government shared allocations
at 13.25-13.4 GHz and 35.6-36 GHz to provide flexibility for the Federal
Government to use 550 megahertz of additional spectrum for EESS (active)
and SRS (active) on a
primary basis, and change the primary footnote allocation for active
spaceborne sensors in the band 35.5-35.6 GHz to a direct Table listing.

 Modify the non-Federal Government/Federal Government shared allocation
at 5350-5460 MHz to provide flexibility for the Federal Government to
use 110 megahertz of additional spectrum for the EESS (active) on a
primary basis.
Modify the non-Federal Government/Federal Government shared allocation
at 401-403 MHz to provide flexibility for the Federal Government to use
EESS uplinks and meteorological-satellite service (“METSAT”) uplinks on
a primary basis.
Modify the non-Federal Government/Federal Government shared allocation
at 410-420 MHz to provide flexibility for the Federal Government to use
the SRS on a primary basis for space-to-space transmissions.

Modify the non-Federal Government/Federal Government shared allocation
at 7750-7850 MHz to provide flexibility for the Federal Government to
use METSAT downlinks on a primary basis, limited to non-geostationary
satellite systems.
Modify the non-Federal Government/Federal Government shared allocation
at 8400-8450 MHz to provide flexibility for the non-Federal Government
to use SRS downlinks from deep space on a secondary basis.

Modify the non-Federal Government/Federal Government shared allocation
at 25.25-27.5 GHz to provide flexibility for the Federal Government to
use the ISS on a primary basis. Revise the EESS allocation from
secondary to primary status in the band 25.5-27 GHz and change the
directional indicator from space-to-space to space-to-Earth.

6. In addition, we: (1) delete the primary ISS shared allocation from
the band 32-32.3 GHz; (2) delete the secondary AMS(R)S allocation from
the band 136-137 MHz; (3) more than double the size of the geographic
area in New Mexico and Texas where amateur stations in the band 420-450
MHz will be limited in power and where spread spectrum radiolocation
systems in the sub-band 420-435 MHz should not expect to be
accommodated; (4) modify our rules to reflect NTIA’s recent action,
which specified that Federal Government wind profiler radars (“WPRs”)
will operate in the sub-band 448-450 MHz; (5) permit U.S. flagged ships
to use more spectrum-efficient equipment for on-board mobile
radiotelephony communications in areas outside the territorial waters of
the United States; (6) delete unused allocations for the International
Fixed Public Radiocommunication Services (“IFPRS”) from the bands
2.1-2.2 GHz and 10.7-11.7 GHz; and (7) allocate the band 14-14.5 GHz to
the MSS (Earth-to-space), which includes aeronautical mobile-satellite
service (“AMSS”), on a secondary basis.  We also make numerous
ministerial amendments to Part 2 of our Rules.

More: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-269A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/