Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Advice on using spread spectrum link in criticalcommunications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:52:33 -0500

Exactly!

Deploying " Mission Critical" applications over unprotected spectrum is
dangerous. Sharing spectrum with mom's baby monitor and Dad's cordless phone
jeopardizes Public Safety's integrity. Not to mention the "War Kids" riding
around trying to pick-up loose SSID's. 
Encryption Pleazeeee....the hacker groups crack it before is publicly deployed.
Let us not forget companies like www.startek.tv that sell 1 WATT transmitter
with 18dbi panel antenna that wipe 200 mw Aircards & nodes off the air. 

Glen Reid <[email-masked] wrote:

Using unlicensed spectrum for any critical public safety application is BAD.

Using it on a site with a known in band source of potential interference is 
just plain NUTTY!

As you can see, I am not known for my tactful, nor retiring manner.

gr

At 10:26 AM 11/18/2003, you wrote:
>The RFP calls for
>multiple spread spectrum links to be provided to 3 - 5  auxiliary sites for
>voting and fire paging as well as the link from the dispatch center console
>to the primary tower site.  What are your thoughts on using unlicensed
>technology for a critical communications link based on the performance
>requirements stated in 1.3 below?  Has anyone done this successfully?  Also,
>one of the sites has a wireless internet provider using the same SS
>technology with an omni antenna.
>
>
>

GLEN REID
Commissioner
Travis County Emergency Services District #10
Austin, Texas
[email-masked]

Like thousands of folks in Austin, I am employed by Motorola Inc.  However, 
the opinions expressed are my own and are not intended to represent the 
position my employer.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/