Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New research: Base station sales up, EV-DO trumps W-CDMA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:38:43 -0500

New research: Base station sales up, EV-DO trumps W-CDMA
By Sam Omatseye
November 18 13:20:00, 2003

Research firm Allied Business Intelligence has revised its projections for
third-generation base stations sales for 2003,
noting that it expects 35,000 unit sales as against 32,500 as earlier predicted.

The report said although contract awards dipped in August and September, it has
revived the positive trend of earlier
this year.

One-third of the contracts were awarded in Asia-Pacific, a quarter in the
Americas, less than a quarter in Europe, and 15
percent in the Middle East and Africa.

“Though contract wins are on the rise, the overall market will not reach its
previous highs any time soon,” said the
report.

The market high was more than $20 billion in annual revenue a few years ago,
said the report, a height that may not be
replicated in the near future. The revenue mark this year is $17 billion, said
ABI.

“Due to increasing pricing pressure, revenue growth will lag unit growth as
deployments accelerate,” stated Edward A.
Rerisi, ABI’s director of research.

In a different report, research firm Alexander Resources claimed CDMA2000
1xEV-DO technology is superior to both
W-CDMA and Wi-Fi technology.

In the research report, “CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Opportunities, Challenges and
Competitive Strategies,” Alexander
Resources said EV-DO requires less spectrum to deploy, delivers higher average
and peak throughput, and is less
expensive than the other technologies.

The independent report also noted that Wi-Fi hot spots will not eliminate the
need for 3G services.

“Wi-Fi hot spots are best suited to serving notebook PC users in select airport,
hotel and restaurant locations,” said the
report.

The report said EV-DO frees carriers from the “false dilemma of charging data
users for the equivalent resources
consumed,” adding that its success will reduce demand for current CDMA
“data-voice.”
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15974

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/