Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEWS ALERT -- AT&T Takes To EDGE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:16:50 -0500

AT&T Takes To EDGE
By Brad Smith

AT&T Wireless Chairman and CEO John Zeglis used Comdex as a platform
today to announce that the carrier has started offering EDGE
capabilities across its national GSM/GPRS network.

Zeglis said the capabilities are available to anyone using the
GSM/GPRS network, which covers 6,500 cities and 215 million people.
EDGE, which stands for enhanced data rates for global evolution,
provides data access at speeds of 100 to 130 kilobits per second.

AT&T Wireless also introduced a Sony Ericsson GC-82 modem card that
subscribers can use to connect their laptops via EDGE to the Internet
or corporate intranets. The card is being sold for $149.99, after a
rebate, to business customers signing a two-year contract. Outside the
EDGE coverage areas the modem operates on the GPRS network. The
carrier has an unlimited data plan at $79.99 a month.

In addition to the modem card, AT&T Wireless said subscribers could
use the Nokia 6200 EDGE phone for wireless laptop connectivity. More
EDGE phones are coming, including the Motorola T725 and Nokia 3200,
the carrier said.

"EDGE gives customers a much-enhanced wireless experience, providing
data speeds dramatically faster than 'so-called' 3G services offered
by other wireless companies," said Zeglis, who delivered a keynote
address at the Las Vegas Comdex show. "It boosts the efficiency of a
business' work force by giving mobile employees fast and easy access
to the same business applications they have in their office. EDGE
speeds will make it simpler for people to be as productive when they
are on the go as they are in their home or office."

AT&T Wireless said EDGE also is available in Puerto Rico and Bermuda,
and it plans to deploy EDGE throughout its properties in the Caribbean
in the near future. In addition, the company said, Rogers AT&T
Wireless has added EDGE capability in the Greater Vancouver area and
will deploy EDGE throughout its Canada-wide network beginning next
year.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/