Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] WLNP-What Do You Do Before You Port?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:27:18 -0500

It looks like Marcel has covered most of the issues, but I have asked
around on my
side (UK) for experiences of others with porting and I shall post responses
to NEXTEL1.

Some observations though....

Expect that you may well not receive SMS text messages during and after
porting
to new network as control channel data belongs to your old network with
which you
had your MSISDN number linked to you IMSI. That is if your using digital
wireless
network GSM - but that view is a UK outlook, not US. But they may charge
you for
texts received within 30 days of porting,  so look for hidden charges.

Under the UK old TACS (analogue) cellular system and new GSM (digital)
admin
charges applied to porting - so Marcel's advice is v good. Also, look out
for service
provider handset locking - there can be another charge to release the
handset also
(depending whether the handset will work on the network you are migrating
to?).

Hidden costs are a nuisance  - who pays for text messages received on your
old
network? See what you contract states (which I suspect it does not deal
with this
issue because possible Mobile Number Portability wasn't possibly around for
the
older contract accounts). It is certainly an event in the UK that operators
can suspend
porting going ahead if they claim you have money outstanding to them - even
where
you may dispute the amount. 

You may also want to mitigate losses (as best possible) by seeking return
of any
advance payment of quarterly paid line charges. 

Most importantly, inform everyone (family/friends/customers etc) about
porting your
number to a new network and that they may experience some difficulties
contacting you
during the transition period and shortly after - nothing ever runs
smoothly.

Hope that helps.
Greg (UK)

-------------Forwarded Message-----------------

From:   INTERNET:[email-masked], INTERNET:[email-masked]
To:     Brian Dobkin, INTERNET:[email-masked]
        [unknown], INTERNET:[email-masked]
        Greg Smith, trewCO
        
Date:   03/11/103 18:27 PM

RE:     Re: [NEXTEL-1] WLNP-What Do You Do Before You Port?

Brian,

This is a hot one........
Since porting in new in the US it is going to be interesting. I would
perform the Basics:

1) Download your address book using a common program that works with all
phones (avoid programs that only work with specific carriers or phones).

2) Port a non critical (Don't port the CEO's phone 1st unless your Dad
is the CEO, your Dad maybe unemployed on Nov 25 ) few phones at a times
see how the "Beta- Porting" goes.

3) If porting a large number of  phones set up "test procedures" for
testing after each phone has been ported. i.e.

Dial Local #'s
Dial Long distance #'s
Receive Calls
Receive Long Distance Calls
and so on

4) Read the fine print on the new porting contract.

5) Ask Nextel to waive any "Administrative" charges. GET IT IN WRITING!

I'm sure others can add to the list.

At this point I'm going to defer to Greg Smith <[email-masked]>
in the UK who has experienced WLNP in his country for some additional
pointers.

Marcel

Brian Dobkin wrote:

> My dad's company is planning on going with nextel service. I currently
> have Sprint and my father has T-Mobile. Does anybody know anything
> special we will have to do to get ready for nov 24 so we can take our
> phone numbers to nextel? Brian Dobkin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:44:11 -0500

Greg,

Thanks for your response. We look forward to your findings.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->