Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Blocking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:01:53 -0500

Marcel
In my haste when posting yesterday I forgot to attach the OFTEL survey
I was referring to and this morning I have forty emails in my inbox
requesting
a copy. I thought it easier just to send it to the group.

Attached <<q14mobres1003.pdf>>

There are a number of factors why a "blocking" service would be welcomed;
the basis to most of them is Privacy and Human Rights. For example:

- note the high number of prepaid users as opposed to monthly account users
-
with prepaid you do not have to give personal details, nor prove your
identity

(side note: the operators tried, but failed, to force-migrate customers to
monthly
subscription by ramping up the costs of handsets to prepaid users and
keeping the
costs low for monthly subscribers. This led to handset exchanges and
purchase
of second-hand devices as a reaction to excessive pricing. Handset prices
are
now tumbling down. Even 3 (Hutchinson UK) is now offering prepaid but only
with customers details and credit card. That position is unlikely to last
as users are
simply not prepared to be tied down. Also 3 will want the users traffic and
revenues
if they want to keep ahead of the 3G market looming at the back end of
2005.)

- there have been a number of voice and SMS text scams ripping people off
asking
the called party to call a number - which when answered is charged at
premium rates

- telemarketing is a source for a high number of complaints and a large
proportion
of these companies call using bogus CLI or barred CLI; it has been found
where the
telemarketing company has been asked not to call again they give your
details to
another telemarketing company and so on....

Greg UK

Message text written by INTERNET:[email-masked]
>Yes. Llooking at the UK OFTEL survey on consumer use of mobile telephones
it would appear that a large volume of users would like to subscriber to
blocking services where the caller withholds their number (CLI) or the
network
fails to advance the CLI through a mobile gateway etc.

Greg UK 

-------------Forwarded Message-----------------

From:   INTERNET:[email-masked],
INTERNET:[email-masked]
To:     [unknown], INTERNET:[email-masked]
        
Date:   25/11/103 16:03 PM

RE:     Re: [NEXTEL-1] Relatively few switch cell numbers so far

Anyone want to guess what the next new "hype" will be for the cellphone
industry?

[email-masked] wrote:

> Like I said................
>
> [email-masked] wrote:
>
>>
>> Relatively few switch cell numbers so far
>>
>>
>> By Barry Shlachter
>> Star-Telegram Staff Writer
>>
>> Cellphone users could carry their numbers over to a new provider for the
>> first time Monday, but such changeovers fell on the low end of industry
>> projections or even lower, said a company that handles about 80 percent
of
>> transactions.<

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/