Subject: [NEXTEL-1] For Sale: HTX-252 VHF-FM 2-Meter Mobile Transceiver

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:10:31 -0500

For Sale:
*HTX-252 (RS Model # 19-1127) 
	2-METER FM MOBILE TRANSCEIVER*

VHF amateur mobile radiotelephone:
*16-key DTMF mic with channel up/down and
	8 other XCVR functions on mic
	and DTMF key lock.
*Selectable 25-watt or 10-watt TX output.
*144-148 MHz TX (default), 136-174 MHz RX.
*11-channel memories
	including user-selectable "Call" channel.
*Compact design: ~1.25" x ~5.25" x ~5.5" (HWD)
*MARS / CAP factory capable
	No modification necessary.
*Service Manual (a $22.99 value) included!

**LIKE NEW, IN BOX!!
	*Works great!
	*Includes all hardware.
	*With all receipts/service-contract/records.
	*Used for magazine article product review,
		and at two public-service exhibitions, only.
	*Unit has been carefully maintained 
		under factory service contract.

Originally $179.99 in stores:
	NOW YOURS FOR $99.00 plus shipping.

Money Order or MC/Visa/Debit PayPal, okay.

Buy directly from owner:
	Alan Dixon, N3HOE
	Contributing Editor
	Popular Communications
	<[email-masked]>

Will ship by either USPS First Class mail, or USPS Next-Day,
	shipment Insured; either method, your choice.

TERMS:  Payment up front. 
	Will ship within 24-48 hours of payment received.
	Buyer has within 30 days of date-shipped to 
	return item for any reason if dissatisfied, for
	full refund. Buyer must pay return insured shipping.

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Evan Platt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 09:02:34 -0800

> VHF amateur mobile radiotelephone:
 
 I'm sorry, I don't see here where this HAM RADIO will do iDEN...
 
 Perhaps posting to a more appropriate group might help?
 
 Evan

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xlw.sC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:59:58 -0500

Evan,

Thanks for your comment. It brings up a good subject "Off Topic"..... As you
know this is not your average group. The group may be called "Nextel-1" but
we go far beyond Nextel. If you look at my footer it says it all ……
"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"

So there really is no "Off Topic" here.  On other groups some "For Sale"
messages draw Flames, Nasty Grams and other unwanted responses but not here.
Sure there maybe some "snippy" responses but they subside quickly and we all
move on.  Yes there are some other groups (like Rik's 4-Sale but I think it
is limited to commercial equipment, or QST, ARRL) that may fit the previous
messages  better, but how many other diverse Radio/Wireless groups do you
know that has an audience of over 2,700 that will allow you to post a for sale message and not get yelled at?

Back in the day when I use to mention iDEN all Hell would break loose.
I would get comments like "This is a Land Mobile Radio Group, iDEN is
cellular", "Nobody wants to discuss Nextel",  "This is a Motorola Group
nobody cares about iDEN" "Go start your own group"

So I did.......Now they all have the questions and no answers..

Anyway bottom-line the occasional for sale items are welcome (No Washers or
Dryers please).

Nextel-1 Very few rules........just good info.

P.S. Alan Dixon is a personal friend a of mine and a one of the founding
members of NEXTEL1.
He could post a  Washer & Dryer  here if he wanted and I would not say a
thing.

......Yea,  I know favouritism.

If the FCC can do it then why can't I?

Hey !! Where is my "Wavier Stamp"?

Marcel-

 "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"

---

From: "Matthew Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:59:59 -0600

Speaking of off topic items...  I have been looking for some information
about obtaining a license for commercial HF frequencies.  I hope that
someone in the group has some experience with this.

I understand that there is no coordination requirements below 30 MHz.  I
talked with one of the FCC license prep. companies and they said just pick a
frequency. That is easier said than done.  I also understand that we need a
communication plan to submit to the FCC.  I believe that we would qualify
under 90.41 as a Disaster Relief Organization.

When volunteering with the Red Cross , I noticed that they had about 7
frequencies between 2 and 7 MHz. We were looking for something similar.

Matt Anderson
Baton Rouge, LA

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] For Sale: HTX-252 VHF-FM 2-Meter Mobile Transceiver

Evan,

Thanks for your comment. It brings up a good subject "Off Topic"..... As you
know this is not your average group. The group may be called "Nextel-1" but
we go far beyond Nextel. If you look at my footer it says it all ..
"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:31:00 -0500

Here you go Matt.......

The testing locations are at the bottom- looks like 2 in Baton Rouge.

INTRODUCTION

The W5YI Group through its commercial radio operator licensing division,
National Radio Examiners also administers all commercial radio operator license
examinations. It is the only organization that administers both the amateur and
commercial radio operator examinations.  Effective in 1984. the Federal
Communications Commission discontinued the First Class and Second Class
Radiotelephone Operator Licenses and replaced them with a special lifetime
General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL).  This license is required by
international law for certain radio services - especially in the Aviation (Part
87) and the Maritime Services (Part 80.)   The FCC also established a new Marine
Radio Operator Permit (MROP) that is required to operate two-way radio aboard
certain vessels, aviation radiotelephone stations and maritime coast stations.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

http://www.w5yi.org/w5yi/default.htm

HOW ARE COMMERCIAL RADIO OPERATOR EXAMINATIONS HANDLED?
Due to budgetary constraints, the Federal Communications Commission adopoted new
Part 13 rules privatizing the administration of commercial radio operator
license examinations effective March 29, 1993.  The responsibility for
Commercial Radio Operator examinations was also transferred from the Field
Operations Bureau (FOB) to the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau.  The FOB was
renamed the Compliance and Information Bureau .
Commercial radio operator testing is now directed by private groups known as
Commercial Operator Licensing Examination Managers (COLEMs.)  Eight COLEMs, the
commercial counterpart of the Amateur Service's VEC, have been certified and
have entered into a Memorandum of Agreement with the government in much the same
manner as VECs (Volunteer Examiner Coordinators.)  The Commercial Radio Operator
examination program is patterned after the very successful VEC System in the
Amateur Service.  The first group to be chosen as a Commercial Operator License
Examination Manager was the National Radio Examiners division of the W5YI Group,
Inc.   NRE is now the largest examiner for Commercial Radio Operator licenses.
NRE provides examinations utilizing both licensed Commercial and Amateur Extra
Class radio operators as Registered Examiners.  Its examination fee is $35 - the
same amount that the FCC had been charging when they administered the Commercial
Radio Operator examinations.  On September 2, 1993, the FCC began issuing pools
of multiple choice questions from which all commercial radio operator
examinations would be selected.   These pools have since been updated with new
questions.  The contents of all question pools - including the correct answers -
is public information.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

COMMERCIAL OPERATOR LICENSE EXAMINATION (COLE) SYSTEM?
The COLE (Commercial Operator License Examination) System exam procedure is a
two-step process:
1.)        The COLEM (or its delegated examiners) collects an exam fee,
administers the appropriate examinations and issues a Proof-of-Passing
Certificate (PPC).  The PPC is the commercial equivalent of the VEC System's
Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE).  It documents
examination element credit for a period of 365 days.  2.)        The applicant
completes the (FCC Form 756) application, attaches the original PPC and/or other
credit documents and sends the paperwork to the FCC in Gettysburg, PA.  Other
credit documents may be either a commercial and/or an amateur radio operator
license.  The COLEM may act as the filing agent for the applicant.  NRE has
adopted this procedure since it permits the organization to file applicant
applications electronically directly into the FCC's computer thereby greatly
speeding up license delivery.
Successful completion of one or more of eleven different examination elements
are required to obtain the General Radiotelephone Operator license (GROL), three
different Radiotelegraph Operator licenses and various other permits, licenses
and endorsements.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

COMMERCIAL WRITTEN EXAMINATION ELEMENTS?
There are seven written elements in the COLE System numbered 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8,
and 9. All questions are multiple choice with four possible answers - only one
of which is correct.  Here is a list of the written examination elements, the
number of questions within each question pool, the number of exam questions and
the passing mark.  You need to get 75% of the questions correct in order to
pass.
Element 1
Basic radio law and operating practice (Study Guide)
Questions in pool: 170,  Questions in examination: 24,  Passing Mark: 18
Element 3
Electronic fundamentals and techniques required to adjust, repair and maintain
radio equipment (Study Guide)
Questions in pool: 916,   Questions in examination: 76,  Passing Mark: 57
Element 5:
Radiotelegraph operating practice (Study material)
Questions in pool: 286,  Questions in examination: 50,  Passing Mark: 38
Element 6:
Advanced radiotelegraph practice (Study material)
Questions in pool: 616,  Questions in examination: 100,  Passing Mark: 75
Element 7:
GMDSS radio operating practices and procedures (Study material)
Questions in pool: 600,  Questions in examination: 100,  Passing Mark: 75
Element 8:
Ship radar techniques (Study Guide)
Questions in pool: 321,  Questions in examination: 50,  Passing Mark: 38
Element 9:
GMDSS radio maintenance practices and procedures (Study material)
Questions in pool: 250,  Questions in examination: 50,  Passing Mark: 38

Different combinations of the written elements are required for each commercial
license.  The list below indicates the examination elements that must be passed
for each license.
Written Element(s)
License, Permit, Endorsement          (Click on the license to locate the study
material)
1
Marine Radio Operator Permit

1, 3
General Radiotelephone Operator

1, 5
Third Class Radiotelegraph Operator
+ Telegraphy Elements 1 & 2 1, 5, 6 Second Class Radiotelegraph Operator
+ Telegraphy Elements 1 & 2 1, 5, 6 First Class Radiotelegraph Operator
+ Telegraphy Elements 3 & 4 1, 7 GMDSS Radio Operator

1, 3, 9
GMDSS Radio Maintainer

8
Ship Radar Endorsement

Each of these examinations consists of a specific number of multiple choice
questions that must be selected from the various FCC approved question banks.
Some elements may have subelements within the pool that are designated with an
alphabetic letter.  All questions are required to be taken verbatim from the
question pools.  In other words, there are no "secret" questions. All of the
exact word-for-word questions, multiple choices and correct answer that could
appear in all Commercial Radio Operator examinations are widely known and
published.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

COMMERCIAL TELEGRAPHY EXAMINATION ELEMENTS
The FCC Rules a commercial radio operator telegraphy exam to be a five-minute
message that includes all letters of the alphabet, numerals 0-9, the punctuation
marks: period, comma, question mark, slant mark and the prosigns: AR, BT, and
SK.  This is the only method of passing allowed by the FCC.
The alphabetic characters (A to Z) count as one character and everything else
(punctuation, numerals and operating prosigns) count as two characters. One
minute of perfect copy at 16 WPM requires 80 characters in a row, 20 WPM is 100
characters and 25 WPM is 125 characters.
There are two different types of examination messages, code groups and text. The
code groups (CG) are randomly produced 4, 5 or 6 characters while the plain
language (PL) examination usually takes the form of a typical communication
between a coast station and a ship. at sea.  (16CG=Telegraphy Element 1,
20PL=Telegraphy Element 2, 20CG=Telegraphy Element 3 and 25PL=Telegraphy Element
4.) Morse code training materials can be found here.
Amateur Extra Class operators (licensed before April 15, 2000) receive credit
for the 16 words-per-minute code groups (CG) and the 20 words-per-minute plain
language (PL) telegraphy requirement without examination.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

WHO NEEDS A COMMERCIAL RADIO OPERATOR LICENSE?
As a general rule, you need a commercial radio operator license to operate or
maintain two-way radio aboard passenger-carrying vessels, if the ship sails into
foreign ports, operates on the medium and high frequency bands or is a large
ship of more than 300 tons.
You also need a commercial radio license to maintain avionics on aircraft and to
operate from aircraft on the medium and high frequency bands. A ship radar
endorsement is needed to make internal adjustments to ship and coast station
radar installations.  You also need a commercial radio license to operate and
maintain broadcast stations - such as international broadcast, low-power TV, TV
and FM broadcast translators, FM boosters and the like.  Although Morse code
communications on the high seas is being phased out, at present -- Coast and
ship stations transmitting radiotelegraphy require commercially licensed
radiotelegraphers.  You do not need a commercial radio operator license to
operate on low-power VHF - especially those on domestic voyages or flights.
But you do need a license to repair or maintain the equipment - including
hand-held radios.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

WHO DOES NOT NEED A COMMERCIAL RADIO OPERATOR LICENSE?
You do not need a commercial radio operator license to operate, repair or
maintain two-way land mobile radio equipment, personal radios, mobile or
cellular telephone systems or uplink and downlink satellite stations.  It should
be pointed out that while amateur radio station and operator licenses are
covered by a single license, commercial radio operator and station licenses are
separate.  You must be certain that the commercial station is licensed before
you operate it.  Holders of commercial radio operator licenses are not
authorized to operate amateur radio stations.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

TYPES OF LICENSES, PERMITS AND ENDORSEMENTS
There are nine different commercial radio operator licenses and permits, and two
types of endorsements. The license term is five years - except for the
Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RP) and the General Radiotelephone
Operator License (GROL) which are issued for life.  The GROL is, by far, the
most popular Commercial Radio Operator license.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT (RP)
...is needed to operate most aircraft, aeronautical ground and marine
radiotelephone stations aboard pleasure craft.  Restricted Radiotelephone
Operator Permit (RP) holders may also operate, repair and maintain any kind of
AM, FM, TV or international broadcast station. Most broadcast station licensees,
however, require their technicians and engineers to hold a General
Radiotelephone Operator license.
An RP is issued without an examination. Use FCC Form 753 to apply for a
Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RP).  FCC Form 755 is needed by
non-resident aliens (foreign aircraft pilots, etc.) to apply for a Limited Use
Restricted Permit (RP).   You obtain these forms from the FCC's form site.  (See
our link page to get to this site.)
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

MARINE RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT (MROP)
...is required to operate radiotelephone stations aboard certain vessels that
sail the Great Lakes, to operate radiotelephone stations aboard vessels of more
than 300 gross tons and vessels operating in coastal or the open sea which carry
more than six passengers for hire.
It is also required to operate certain aviation radiotelephone stations and
certain coast radiotelephone stations. To obtain a Marine Radio Operator Permit
MROP, you must pass a written examination covering basic radio laws and
operating procedures (Element 1).  Study material can be found here.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

GENERAL RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR LICENSE (GROL)
...is required to adjust, maintain or internally repair FCC-licensed
radiotelephone transmitters in the aviation, maritime and international fixed
public radio services.   The General Radiotelephone Operator License conveys all
of the operating authority of the Marine Radio Operator Permit (MROP).  A GROL
is also required to operate high power commercial and pleasure maritime HF radio
stations.
To obtain the GROL, you must pass a written examination covering basic radio
laws and operating procedures (Element 1), and electronics fundamentals and
techniques required to repair and maintain radio transmitters and receivers
(Element 3).   The GROL is, by far, the most popular - accounting for more than
80% of all commercial radio operator licenses issued by the FCC.  We offer both
a comprehensice (496 page) GROL Study Manual and a computer training course
(GRSP) which includes the manual.   The study material can be found here.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

THIRD CLASS RADIOTELEGRAPH OPERATOR'S CERTIFICATE (T-3)
The Third Class Radiotelegraph Operator s Certificate (T-3) authorizes operation
of certain coast radiotelegraph stations.
It also confers the operating authority of both the Restricted Radiotelephone
Operator Permit and the Marine Radio Operator Permit.  You must be able to
receive and transmit spoken messages in English, pass Morse code examinations at
16 code groups per minute (16 CG, Telegraphy Element 1) and 20 words-per-minute
plain language (20 PL, Telegraphy Element 2).   Morse code training materials
can be found here.
In addition you must pass written Element 1, plus basic operating procedures for
telegraphy (written Element 5).  A Morse code hand-sending examination will not
be given since the FCC has taken the position that applicants who can receive
telegraphy by ear can also send code manually.
Commercial radiotelegraph applicants are required to transcribe one minute solid
copy during a five minute transmission.  Amateur Extra Class ham operators
(licensed before April 15,2000) are automatically given Morse Code examination
credit for the telegraphy portion of the 3rd (T-3)/2nd Class (T-2)
Radiotelegraph Operator Certificate.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

SECOND CLASS RADIOTELEGRAPH OPERATOR'S CERTIFICATE (T-2)
...authorizes the holder to operate, repair and maintain ship and coast
radiotelegraph stations in the maritime services.  It also confers all of the
operating authority of the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit, Marine
Radio Operator Permit, Third Class Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate and the
General Radiotelephone Operator License.  You must be able to receive and
transmit spoken messages in English, pass Morse code examinations at 16 code
groups per minute (16 CG, Telegraphy Element 1) and 20 words-per-minute plain
language (20 PL, Telegraphy Element 2.)    Amateur Extra Class ham operators
(licensed before April 15,2000) are automatically given Morse Code examination
credit for the telegraphy portion of the 3rd (T-3)/2nd Class (T-2)
Radiotelegraph Operator Certificate.   Morse code training materials can be
found here.  In addition, applicants must pass written Element 1 (radio law),
Element 5 (basic radiotelegraphy) and Element 6 (radiotelegraph electronics
technology.)
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

SPECIAL NOTE TO AMATEUR EXTRA CLASS OPERATORS!
Amateur Extra Class operators (licensed before April 15, 2000) receive credit
for Telegraphy Element 1 (16 Code Groups per minute) and Telegraphy Element 2
(20 Plain Language words per minute) without examination toward the Third
(T-3)and Second Class (T-2) Radiotelegraph Operator s Certificate.
A photocopy of the Amateur Extra Class license must be attached to the FCC Form
756 Commercial Radio application to receive the examination credit.  Extra Class
operators who have only passed the 5 wpm telegraphy examination do not receive
any exam credit towards a commercial radio telegraph license.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

FIRST CLASS RADIOTELEGRAPH OPERATOR'S CERTIFICATE (T-1)
...is required only for those who serve as a chief radio operator on a U.S.
passenger ship.  The privileges granted are the same as the Second Class
Radiotelegraph Operator s Certificate.  You must be at least 21 years old and
have one year of experience in sending and receiving public correspondence by
radiotelegraph at ship stations or public coast stations to hold a First Class
Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate (T-1).
The Morse code requirement is 20 code groups per minute (20 CG, Telegraphy
Element 3) and 25 words-per-minute plain language (25 PL, Telegraphy Element
4).  Telegraphy study material can be found here. The written examination
requirement is passing Elements 1, 3, 5 plus electronics technology applicable
to radiotelegraph stations (Element 6).
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

GLOBAL MARITIME DISTRESS AND SAFETY SYSTEM OPERATOR'S LICENSE (GMDSS/O)
...is required for operation of the new satellite-based marine emergency
equipment. GMDSS operators are in the process of replacing all radiotelegraph
operators as Morse code is being phased out on the high seas.  To obtain the
GMDSS/O you must pass written examinations covering radio law (Element 1), and
GMDSS radio operating practices (Element 7).  Study material for Element 7 can
be found here.   Element 1 is included with our GROL manual here.  Unlike
Amateur Radio licenses which convey both operating and
repairing/constructing/maintaining privileges, holders of the GMDSS Operators
license may NOT repair or maintain GMDSS equipment.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

GLOBAL MARITIME DISTRESS AND SAFETY SYSTEM MAINTAINER'S LICENSE (GMDSS/M)
...is required to repair and maintain the new satellite-based marine emergency
equipment.   To obtain the GMDSS/M you must pass written examinations covering
basic radio law (Element 1), a technical examination on electronics (Element 3),
and GMDSS radio maintenance practices and procedures (Element 9).  Study
material for Element 1 and 3 is located here.  Element 9 study material can be
found here.
Holders of the GMDSS Maintainer's license may NOT operate GMDSS equipment.
There is also a combination GMDSS Operator/Maintainer license issued when all
examination elements are completed at one sitting.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

SHIP RADAR ENDORSEMENT
...may be placed only on General Radiotelephone Operator Licenses (GROL), GMDSS
Radio Maintainer's licenses (GMDSS/M) or on First or Second Class Radiotelegraph
Operator s Certificates (T-1 or T-2.)  Only persons whose commercial radio
operator license bears this endorsement may repair, maintain or internally
adjust ship radar equipment.  To qualify for the Ship Radar Endorsement you must
additionally pass Element 8, covering special rules applicable to ship radar
stations and the technical fundamentals of radar and radar maintenance
procedures.  Study material for Element 8 is included with our GROL manual.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

SIX MONTHS SERVICE ENDORSEMENT
...is required on the radiotelegraph operator s certificate of anyone who serves
as the sole radio operator aboard large U.S.  cargo ships sailing the open
seas.  To qualify for this endorsement, you must have served as a radio operator
on board U.S. ships for at least six months, hold a First or Second Class
Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate (T-1 or T-2) during the six-months period
and hold a radio officer s license issued by the U.S. Coast Guard.  A
certification letter from the vessels master or agent must be submitted to the
FCC to obtain the endorsement.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

COMMERCIAL RADIO OPERATOR APPLICATION - FCC Form 753, 755 or 756
... is used to apply for all new, renewal, replacement and modified Commercial
Radio Operator licenses, permits and endorsements except for the Restricted
Radiotelephone Permits (which require FCC Forms 753 and 755.)  Each application
for a new Commercial Radio Operator license, permit or endorsement, or a change
in class which requires an examination, must include an original PPC
(Proof-of-Passing Certificate), issued by examiner(s), showing that the
applicant has passed the necessary examination element(s).  FCC Form 753, 755 or
756 may be obtained from National Radio Examiners or from the FCC's Forms site
on the Internet.  Please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope. (P.O. Box
565206, Dallas, TX 75356)  The FCC is in the process of changing to a new
Universal Licensing System and the FCC Form 605 and its Schedule E will
eventually replace these forms.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

EXAMINATION AND APPLICATION FEES
There are two separate fees that may be charged to applicants for Commercial
Radio Operator licenses, but an applicant only pays one of them.  There
previously was an additional "Regulatory" fee which has now been discontinued.
The Examination Fee -- is charged by a COLEM (Commercial Operator License
Examination Manager.)  This fee can vary depending upon which Commercial
Operator License Examination Manager (COLEM) administers the examination, and
the number and type of test elements administered. This fee is paid to the
examiners.   National Radio Examiners charges a $35 fee per license.  This is
the only license fee that examinees pay.
The Application fee -- (also called a processing fee) is a $45.00 charge that
applicants pay to reimburse the Government for the costs involved in the
administrative processing of radio licenses.   The application fee is paid for
new RP licenses and for duplicate, renewal and replacement licenses. This fee is
paid to the FCC.  Examinees being administered license examinations do not pay
this fee.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

WHERE TO GET HELP ON COMMERCIAL RADIO OPERATOR APPLICATIONS
If you need assistance with your application, contact the FCC at:
Federal Communications Commission
Consumer Assistance Branch
1270 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245
Telephone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (or 1-888-225-5322)
(Toll free) between 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  E.T.   Monday through Friday.)

Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

STUDY MATERIAL FOR COMMERCIAL RADIO OPERATOR EXAMINATIONS
All question pools and study material - both in written and IBM-compatible PC
form are available from National Radio Examiners.
Telephone order line: 1-800-669-9594 (toll free during normal business hours
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Central time, Monday thru Friday to place an order.
This order line may also be answered during evenings and weekends.  All
Commercial Radio Operator study materials and their prices are listed here and
here.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

LOCATING A COMMERCIAL RADIO EXAMINATION SESSION
NRE has approximately 300 examination sites located across the United States.  A
list of the National Radio Examiners testing locations can be found here or you
can call (toll free) to 1-800-669-9594 to reach our NRE Office during normal
business hours (9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central time), Monday through Friday.
Back to "Commercial Radio" Index

============================================================
Commercial Radio License Exam Locations:

70354 Galliano, LA - Randy J. Ledet - (504) 632-7144
70438 Franklinton, LA - Isaac Creel - (504) 839-2019
70507 Lafayette, LA - Harry Latiolais - (337) 234-2119
70510 Abbeville, LA - James Moore - (318) 893-9455
70518 Broussard, LA - G Kevin Morvant - (318) 837-6353
70519 Cade, LA - Roy Bonvillian - (318) 365-4523
70584 Sunset, LA - Samuel Doucet - (318) 684-2180
70811 Baton Rouge, LA - James Wynn - (504) 683-5923
70819 Baton Rouge, LA - Doug Stracener - (504) 272-5088
71055 Minden, LA - Frank Morris - (318) 377-2620
71334 Ridgecrest, LA - Henry Dodge - (318) 757-3488
71446 Leesville, LA - Alfred Kyle - (318) 239-4234

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Kenton E. Sturdevant" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:01:37 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Matthew Anderson" <m_anderson@c...>
wrote:
"Speaking of off topic items...  I have been looking for some
information about obtaining a license for commercial HF frequencies. 
I hope that someone in the group has some experience with this.
 
I understand that there is no coordination requirements below 30 MHz.
 I talked with one of the FCC license prep. companies and they said
just pick a frequency."
**********************************************************

BE CAREFUL Matt. 
My copy of the Rules says that For frequencies between 25 and 470 MHz,
a statement is required from the applicable frequency coordinator. 
See 90.175 (b) It further says in 90.175 (i) that applications below
25 MHz do not need to be accompanied by frequency coordination. 

Below 25 MHz, it appears anything is fair game, if you can meet the
other requirements regarding inavailability of other circuits to meet
your need, the communication plan, etc.

If you are convinced you need HF, take the easiest waya out: 27.49
since it is itinerant and no coordination is required on itinerants,
plus it does not have the other substantial requirements of "need,"
etc.

I think the Red Cross system might be an old Nation wide allocation
for their disaster relief activities, your organization might have to
rise to that level of importance/activity to qualify.

But, goood luck!.

Kenton

---

From: "Blake Bowers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:16:02 -0600

>  I talked with one of the FCC license prep. companies and they said

I looked at HF a while back, under 25 Mhz, and while 
yes, there is no coordination, you still have specific guidelines,
availability, and qualifications.

An old time FCC staffer, just retiring at that point, said that
in the "new" FCC, there was hardly anyone with any real
experience with HF, and my best bet would be to sit down
with a case of beer, and the rules, and try to come up with
a conforming application.

He said, as long as it looked close, it would probably fly....

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:57:59 -0500

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG