Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Maybe There Are Problems With Nokia Batteries

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:33:24 -0500

Maybe There Are Problems With Nokia Batteries
 Contributed by mmasnick on Mon, Nov 10 2003

The exploding mobile phone battery issue seems to be the story of the last few
months. I've stated repeatedly that Nokia has done a terrible marketing job in
response to exploding phone claims. While they've been accurate in blaming the
problem on non-Nokia replacement batteries, they've done little to nothing to
provide any comfort to those who were victims. Now, clearly, it hasn't been
their fault, but taking the "Tylenol" example, if people don't know where to
turn when a dangerous problem shows up, they turn to the one company they do
know. A more reasonable response would have been first to express concern and
admit that they would do whatever possible to prevent the problem from happening
again. Instead, they've continued to repeat the same line: "It's not our fault.
It's your fault for buying a replacement battery." There are much more consumer
friendly ways of getting the message out. Of course, now, a research group is
saying that they actually have found problems in Nokia batteries that could
cause them to explode. Nokia denies that this is possible. The repeated
immediate denials from Nokia don't make me any more comfortable about their
phones. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with them first investigating the issue
and then explaining their findings.

www.techdirt.com

===================================================================
Nokia batteries not safe either - Belgian watchdog
By Jan Libbenga
Posted: 10/11/2003 at 11:27 GMT

The name Nokia seems to be synonymous with exploding phones these days. Last
week another woman was sent to hospital with light injuries after the battery of
her Nokia mobile phone exploded.

There have been more 20 such incidents in the last year, according to Nokia. But
the batteries in all exploding phones were non-original replacements made by
unauthorised third-parties, the company says.

But now the Belgian consumer watchdog Test-Aankoop claims that some Nokia
batteries (in particular the Nokia BML-3, BMC-3 and BLC-2) are also unprotected
against short-circuiting.

The BML-3 was sold for the now-defunct Nokia 3210, the BMC 3 is still available
for the Nokia 3310 and 3330 models; the BLC-2 is the default battery for the
3510, 3510i, 5510, 6650 and 6800 models.  Test Aankoop has examined all these
batteries and says Nokia needs to replace them at no extra cost.

But Nokia says these claims are "false". All Nokia batteries are designed and
manufactured adhering to stringent safety and quality measures, including short
circuit protection, Nokia said in a statement notably short of detail. According
to the company, all its batteries adhere to "very strict requirements regarding
the materials and insulation used, in addition to continuous production control
and intensive product testing’ and Nokia and its suppliers invest a great deal
in research and development to "constantly safeguard and improve the quality and
safety in all Nokia products."

The Finnish phone maker says it will continue to offer its full
cooperation to authorities in taking legal measures against
companies that sell non-original mobile phone enhancements that
"do not adhere to the stringent safety and quality measures"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/33879.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/