Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Half of states won’t meet 911 deadline

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:56:56 -0500

Half of states won’t meet 911 deadline
November 13 13:35:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Only 24 states told congressional investigations that they plan to
meet the 2005 deadline for wireless enhanced 911 Phase II deployment.
“Implementation of wireless E911 is several years away in many states, raising
the prospect of piecemeal availability of this service across the country for an
indefinite number of years to come,” said the General Accounting Office in a
report released on Wednesday.

The Federal Communications Commission has mandated that wireless carriers be
ready to deliver Phase II—precise—location information to public-safety
answering points by Dec. 31, 2005. It is estimated the implmentation will cost
$8 billion over the next five years.

In other 911 action, the FCC on Thursday declined to mandate specific rules for
telematic 911 calls and 911 calls from multi-tenant buildings. The commission
did require that mobile satellite service carriers set up 911 call centers but
did not at this time require them to deploy Phase II technology.
The rules drew sharp criticism from the mobile-phone industry, which has been
struggling to deploy

Phase II technology
by the 2005 deadline.

“Today's wireless products come in many shapes and sizes, and may be sold by any
number of retailers. Yet, only the phones sold directly by wireless licensees
are required to locate callers when they dial 911 in an emergency,” said Steve
Largent, president and chief executive officer of the Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association. “Certainly, it makes sense that any
device capable of dialing 911 should also be capable of delivering location
information to emergency responders.”
CTIA added that it does not support the expansion of E911 rules to emerging
technologies, where the burden of a new and expensive mandate might reduce
innovation.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15924

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/