Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sprint PCS readies for PTT launch with FCC approval of Sanyo phone

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 15:38:58 -0500

Sprint PCS readies for PTT launch with FCC approval of Sanyo phone
By Mike Dano
November 04 12:59:00, 2003

Sprint PCS is apparently getting closer to launching its planned
push-to-talk service, as a newly approved mobile phone from Sprint
handset provider Sanyo features what appears to be a dedicated PTT
button.
The Federal Communications Commission recently approved the new Sanyo
phone, the SCP-5500. The FCC must certify all radio communications
equipment.

According to Sanyo’s FCC filing, the phone features an integrated
digital camera for both picture and video capture as well as text
messaging and Java support. The phone also features a dedicated Ready
Link button. Ready Link is the name Sprint has given to its PTT
offering, as previously reported by RCR Wireless News.

Sprint officials were not immediately available for comment. A Sanyo
spokesman declined to comment. The news follows widespread rumors that
Sprint would launch its PTT service with a pair of Sanyo handsets.

Sprint has previously said it plans to launch a push-to-talk service in
the fourth quarter of this year. The carrier’s move follows rival
Verizon Wireless’ PTT offering, which is competing with longtime
push-to-talk provider Nextel Communications Inc.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15774

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/