Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Who Called? Do-Not-Call-FCC PROPOSES TO FINE AT&T CORPORATION $780,000 FOR APPARENT VIOLATIONS OF DO-NOT-CALL RULES

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:00:50 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
November 3, 2003      Suzanne Tetreault at (202) 418-7450

FCC PROPOSES TO FINE AT&T CORPORATION $780,000
FOR APPARENT VIOLATIONS OF DO-NOT-CALL RULES

Washington, D.C. – Today, the Federal Communications Commission proposed
to assess a forfeiture of $780,000 against AT&T Corporation for apparent
violations of the Commission’s Do-Not-Call telemarketing rules.  This is
the Commission’s first major Do-Not-Call enforcement action.

The Commission found that AT&T apparently made telephone solicitation
calls to 29 consumers on 78 separate occasions after those consumers had
requested that AT&T not call them again.  The Commission therefore
concluded that AT&T had apparently violated the FCC’s company-specific
Do-Not-Call rule, section 64.1200(e) of the Commission’s rules.  The
Commission staff had initiated an investigation of AT&T’s telemarketing
practices after a regular review of consumer complaint data revealed
over 300 complaints in the previous several months alleging Do-Not-Call
violations by AT&T.  The Commission proposed a forfeiture of $10,000 for
each of the 78 apparent violations.

Action by the Commission on October 30, 2003, by Notice of Apparent
Liability for Forfeiture (FCC 03-267).  Chairman Powell, Commissioners
Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and Adelstein.

– FCC –

Enforcement Bureau Contacts:  Suzanne Tetreault at (202) 418-7450 or
Kurt Schroeder at (202) 418-0966

TTY:  1 (888) 835-5322

ww.fcc.gov

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xlw.sC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/