Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The world's first Wi-Fi-enabled lake

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:47:54 -0500

The world's first Wi-Fi-enabled lake

Dax Networks has completed an intriguing networking project: It has
Wi-Fi-enabled the Dal, the premier lake in the state of Jammu & Kashmir, the
politically volatile region on the Indo-Pakistani border. With the completion of
the project, local residents and tourists alike can access Internet while
staying in house boats or sailing on smaller vessels. The only thing they will
require is a Wi-Fi-capable laptop. Dax Networks intends to replicate this model
in other parts of the India. It has already identified three more lakes for
similar projects. The company foresees this unique segment developing into a
lucrative niche.
====================================================================

CM dedicates world’s first Wi-Fi enabled lake to the state of J&K
- Dax Networks converts Dal Lake into a hotspot-

Srinagar, November 1, 2003: After the recent launch of mobile services, Kashmir
couldn't have asked for more. Then comes the unexpected. “The Dal” goes Wi-Fi.

Dax Networks, one of India's leading networking company, today announced the
completion of a unique networking project. It has Wi Fi enabled the country's
premier lake “The Dal” located in the beautiful state of Jammu & Kashmir. It is
the first such instance in the world when a lake has been converted into a
tourist Wi-Fi hot spot.

The project was conceived and implemented by Dax Networks along with partners in
the State. These partners are Department of Tourism, J & K and iPeaks, the
leading Internet Service Provider in the state.

Honorable Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir Mr. Mufti Mohammad Sayeed himself
dedicated this facility to the State today at a function, which culminated at
Nehru Park, the island located in the middle of the lake.

Addressing the gathering during the launch, Hon’ able Chief Minister said, “this
is a proud moment for the people of Jammu & Kashmir. Wi Fi enabling of Dal Lake
is symbolic of the state’s willingness to embrace IT. It is an initiative that
has positive socio-economic implications. The full support of the Tourism
Department was given to this initiative.  And, I truly appreciate the efforts of
Mr. Deepak Mirza, Director of Dax Networks and a Kahmiri himself, who not only
conceived the project but also saw it through against geographical and climatic
odds. I would like to congratulate him and his organization to have executed
such a novel project.”

Expressing his satisfaction on the completion of the project Mr. Deepak Mirza,
Director, Dax Networks, said,” Though many parts of the country are enjoying
benefits of the latest networking technologies, numerous pockets in the country
are still completely untouched by this phenomenon. Kashmir is definitely one of
them. Therefore what better place to take the first step than making the pride
of Kashmir “The Dal” Wi Fi enabled. This is not just a bold statement, but also
a move that can have cascading effect in the state and a positive rub off on the
overall image of the country.”

Commenting on the occasion, Director General – Tourism, Jammu & Kashmir, Mr.
Saleem Beg said, “Department of Tourism is aggressively promoting the state as
an essential part of any tourist itinerary. Though in the last three years we
have constantly witnessed a growth in the tourist inflow, this project will
definitely be a shot in the arm. We would like to leverage this facility to tap
travelers who would like to remain connected to the rest of the world while
vacationing. Further, such a development goes a long way in sending the right
kind of signals to international tourists.”

Sharing his excitement, Mr. Irfan-Director, iPeaks (ISP partner and System
Integrator for the project) said, “It is a matter of great pride for us to be
associated with a unique project of this kind, which involves our own Dal Lake.
We will continue to partner Dax for similar and other LAN/WAN projects in the
State”.

With the completion of the project, people and tourists alike can access
Internet while staying in House boats as well as while moving on the very
popular Shikaras. The only thing they will require is a Computer/laptop, which
is Wi Fi compatible. No matter from where you come, this facility will allow you
to remain connected, while you enjoy serenity and physical isolation. Close on
the heels of mobile service launch, this development will ensure that Kashmiris
at large are not denied of what the rest of the country has access to.

Though the project is not aiming for substantial commercial gains, it is
expected to make a strong statement among tourists groups across the world. Dax
Networks intends to replicate this model in other parts of the country. In this
regard, it is open to work with Department of Tourism of respective states. In
fact, it has already identified three more lakes for similar projects. Over a
period of time, Dax foresees this unique segment developing into a lucrative
niche.

About Dax Networks

Part of Apcom Group, Dax Networks is one of the top 3 networking companies in
India. Within 3 years of its operations Dax achieved a turnover of Rs.60.5
crores. Dax Networks currently offers networking solutions to the Government,
Telecom, ISPs, Financial Services, Education, Defence, and Corporate Segments,
among others.

Today, Dax has the Widest Range of Networking products available in India.

For further details:

Mr. Deepak Mirza, Director

Dax Networks Limited.

Ph: 044 - 2432 3558/3557

Fax: 044- 2435 7267

E-mail: [email-masked]
 Sriganesh

20:20 MEDIA

Ph: 044-28215747, 56105998

Email: [email-masked]

http://www.daxnetworks.com/Dax/Press/2003/Nov03/Press%20Release-1.11.03-website.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/