Subject: [NEXTEL-1] South Connellsville: Eliminates all Nextel phones used by the borough except one......

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:37:47 -0500

South Connellsville: Eliminates all Nextel phones used by the borough except
one......

By Amy Fauth
DAILY COURIER
Wednesday, November 12, 2003

As members of South Connellsville Borough Council prepare to apply to the
Fayette County Redevelopment Authority for a share of the county's CDBG funds, a
possible project that could be completed with those funds was brought to their
attention.
Mary Helms, who lives at the bottom of Painter Street, told council that for
years she has endured flooding in her basement with every heavy rain, and asked
for some help.

"I'm retired. My husband's retired. Something has to be done about this," said
Helms.

Because of repeated floodings, her basement walls have to be replaced, her
furnace has been ruined and countless items have been damaged beyond repair.

Helms said the last time it flooded there was four feet of water in her
basement.

According to Councilman Don Clark, who Helms called to her house last time it
flooded, the problem is a grass alley that doesn't have a ditch or any place to
put a ditch. The water runs down the alley, up over the curb and into Helms'
property.

In addition to rain water seeping in through the walls and coming up the drain,
Helms reported that last spring she had raw sewage come up through her drains,
too.

Richard Widmer, of Widmer Engineering, said it could be that pressure is
building up in the sewer lines due to a blockage. He doubts that this is just a
simple case of storm water runoff flooding.

"It would be hard to imagine 4 feet of water from just storm water, said Widmer,
who has been directed by council to take a look at the situation.

If it is found to be a sewer problem, Council President Mark Ward said the
borough may have to get the municipal authority involved as well.

Meanwhile, council unanimously decided to review this and other projects in the
borough for its application for CDBG funds. The deadline for application is Dec.
1.

In addition, council also:

= Eliminated mats in the front hallway of the borough building and plans to buy
some and maintain them internally.

= Gave approval for the secretary/treasurer to start the process to obtain a tax
anticipation loan for next year.

= Granted building permits for two storage sheds, pending required paperwork.

= Discussed the possibility of a jake brake restriction on Pittsburgh Street in
the borough. According to PennDOT, the road has a grade of less than 4 percent,
which means a restriction can't be granted.

= Agreed to speak to Anchor Glass and Crown, Cork and Seal about placing a sign
directing all trucks to turn right at the end of Pittsburgh Street to eliminate
trucks attempting to turn left.

= Eliminated all Nextel phones used by the borough except one, which is paid for
by the municipal authority.

= Instructed its solicitor to draft a letter to street workers, as discussed in
executive session.

= Scheduled a special meeting to introduce the budget and tax millage ordinance
at 7 p.m. Nov. 24.

= Agreed to spend not more than $100 on florescent light fixtures for lights
behind the garage.

= Discussed the first year requirements for the borough's storm water management
program and directed its engineer to begin working on those requirements.

Amy Fauth can be reached at [email-masked] or (724) 626-3537.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailycourier/news/s_164868.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/