Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Wins Contract to Supply Digital Radio Network to Copenhagen Bus, Worth In Excess of 13 Million Euros

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:33:34 -0500

Motorola Wins Contract to Supply Digital Radio Network to Copenhagen Bus, Worth
In Excess of 13 Million Euros

BASINGSTOKE UK/ COPENHAGEN, - 6 November 2003 - Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT)
Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) today announced
it has been chosen by the Greater Copenhagen Authority to supply and operate a
TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) digital radio communications network in the
Copenhagen metropolitan area for an improved transit system.

The contract includes the TETRA network, which will serve 1,200 buses, 2 ships
and 30 trains, and inclusive of 100 TETRA handsets for use by traffic inspectors
in the metropolitan area. In addition, Motorola has been awarded a service
contract for a minimum period of six years. The network will carry both voice
and data and will help provide smoother operations in areas such as resource
management, customer information (arrival times, locations) and security
systems. It will also improve communications between the different modes of
transport.

"The introduction of digital radio communication will provide revolutionary
opportunities to improve cross communication between buses, trains and subways.
The objective is to establish a new set of standards for communication within
public transportation services,” says Mads Lebech, Chairman of HUR (Hovedstadens
Udviklingsråd). Mr. Lebech also stresses that “the investment in the new system
is a prerequisite to secure an acceptable quality of the traffic operation in
the area as well as the service level to the customers.”
The contract signifies the official establishment of TETRA in Copenhagen, which
has been planned since two licenses were awarded by the government in October
2001, one of which was awarded to TetraNet, a Motorola company.
Ole Niss, Director, Motorola Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions
Sector, and Chairman of TetraNet, commented: “We are very pleased to receive
this contract from the Greater Copenhagen Authority and the opportunity to have
a positive impact on public transport. This award also marks the entry of TETRA
into Copenhagen and it will provide an important platform to demonstrate the
benefits of TETRA to other markets including public safety.”
This first contract enables TetraNet, the network operator, to begin providing
airtime to other professional user organisations – public as well as private.
The network is scheduled to be deployed in two phases -- the first with voice
capabilities in the second quarter of 2004, and the second with data
capabilities 12 months later.
About Motorola’s Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector
Motorola’s Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) is a
leading global provider of
integrated radio communications and information solutions, with 65 years of
experience in meeting the
mission-critical requirements of public safety, public service, government and
enterprise customers. The
sector offers an extensive portfolio of solutions to meet growing public safety
and security needs worldwide,
including: interoperable two-way radio communications solutions; command and
control solutions;
identification and tracking solutions, information management for criminal
justice and civil needs; and
physical security and monitoring solutions. In 2002, CGISS received the Malcolm
Baldrige National Quality
Award, the United States’ premier award for performance excellence and quality
achievement. For more
information, please visit: www.motorola.com/cgiss
About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) is a global leader in wireless, automotive and
broadband communications.
Sales in 2002 were $27.3 billion. Motorola is a global corporate citizen
dedicated to ethical business
practices and pioneering important innovations that make things smarter and life
better, honoured traditions
that began when the company was founded 75 years ago this year. For more
information, please visit
www.motorola.com
About TETRA
TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA) is an open digital trunked radio standard
defined by the European Telecommunications Standardisation Institute (ETSI) to
meet the needs of the most demanding professional mobile radio users.

# # #

For more information please visit:
Motorola TETRA: www.motorola.com/tetra
TETRA MoU: www.tetramou.com
Motorola Internet Media Centre: www.motorola.com/mediacenter

Photography is available at:
www.motorola.com/mediacenter/graphics/list/0,,2-1,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/