Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: NEXTEL Strikes & Steals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:40:54 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "RAF Wireless Services" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: NEXTEL Strikes & Steals

I have been through removal by "unauthorized personnel" a few times. It is a
violation of Title 18 of Federal Code law to disable any FCC licensed station or
facility. I don't remember the specific sub-section.

Once any theft is verified, call the police & file a report. It records the
event & preserves the timeframe for future reference. While I understand the
customers are inconvenienced, negotiating with the thieves is a well-intentioned
mistake that weakens any case for restitution or recourse. A police report is
incontrevertable proof in the eyes of any court as to what/where/when, who & why
would be for the police/courts to decide. I would have had them call Nextel!
What if they said they wouldn't return it? They would say it to you but saying
it to the police isn't likely.

It also sounds like site access security needs revisiting. No one should be able
to enter without someone knowing. 

Good Luck on getting the equipment out of that Nextel "Non-Distribution Center"
where it likely wound up... Marcel knows what I mean!

Chris

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:07:01 -0800

(Since this is a tangent from the discussion about Nextel's unauthorized
removal of other people's stations from tower sites, I have started a
new thread.)

At the Tower Summit, a Nextel representative told the audience they had
a 150,000 square ft warehouse in Texas where they stored and repaired
old SMR equipment that had been taken out of service when they acquire a
system. If this is what you are calling a "Non-Distribution Center"
Nextel isn't hiding it.

It was very interesting that they propose to use this used equipment in
the 800 MHz 'retuning' program. 

No one from APCO that was there seemed to be surprised at this.

As I understood the Nextel presenter, Nextel would deploy the used SMR
equipment (TX combiners, duplexers, RX multicouplers, antennas, cables,
stations, etc.) as a parallel system on the existing public safety
system so there would be no service interruptions. This could be done on
a site by site basis too.

Since the used parallel system would be providing the new 'equivalent'
coverage, the public safety agency would have the option to just keep
the used parallel system and let Nextel have their old equipment for
salvage or refurbishing for another public safety system. A
Nextel/Denver consultant offered this as part of a 'one-step' retune
program, as opposed to a 'two-step' where the agency would retune their
existing equipment.

Remember, the retune deal is an 'equivalent' trade so it's just a swap
of used equipment for used equipment, not new replacements. I assume the
cost of Nextel refurbishing the used equipment would be part of their
reimbursement cost cap.

This may make their $700 million value more accurate since most people
didn't know they were getting Nextel's used equipment in the deal.

It's going to be interesting to watch as Nextel's pulls a lot more
surprises out of the hat after the FCC rules in favor of their consensus
plan. 

Since public safety is so strongly endorsing Nextel's plan, including
the used equipment exchange, there may not be much justification to
complain or change the plan later. 

But I may be wrong.......
Jack Daniel
=====================================

---

From: "Paul Holliday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:18:45 -0500

WE have been purchasing equipment from the warehouse until about 6 mo ago
when nexhell stop selling used equipment. The  equipment was never
refurbished. Some of the junk was transmitters that were located in barns &
roof tops just used to hold the frequency & most of it had water damage or
was damaged as the site strippers ripped it out.
We had a site that had about 1000 users & nexhell came in one afternoon
about 4:00pm & removed 5 of our 20 channels transmitters by mistake & hit
the road by 5:00 pm. We were lucky in locating the strippers with in 3 hours
when we hear they were looking for a key to access another site to strip.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jack Daniel" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 6:07 AM
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel deploys used equipment for 800 MHz retune: Was :
NEXTEL Strikes & Steals

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:58:25 -0800

I had no idea that Nextel was illegaly removing so many competitive
systems.

Did anyone pay you for that mistake ?

Did you sign a release or a cash a check that said it settled all
claims?

============================================

Paul Holliday wrote:
> > > I have been through removal by "unauthorized personnel" a few
> times. It
> is a
> > > violation of Title 18 of Federal Code law to disable any FCC
> licensed
> station or
> > > Once any theft is verified, call the police & file a report. It
> records
> the
> > > event & preserves the timeframe for future reference. While I
> understand
> the
> > > mistake that weakens any case for restitution or recourse. A
> police
> report is
> > > incontrevertable proof in the eyes of any court as to
> what/where/when,
> who & why
> > > would be for the police/courts to decide. I would have had them
> call
> Nextel!
> > > What if they said they wouldn't return it? They would say it to
> you but
> saying
> > > It also sounds like site access security needs revisiting. No one
> should
> be able
> > > Good Luck on getting the equipment out of that Nextel
> "Non-Distribution
> Center"
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                         [click here]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.