Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Upgrade That Couldn't Wait

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:57:26 -0500

The Upgrade That Couldn't Wait 

By Mark Rockwell
November 1, 2003

WASHINGTON

The District of Columbia, under intense pressure to increase its
emergency communications capabilities, unveiled a multimillion dollar
upgrade to its wireless network despite uncertainty about spectrum
resources.

The upgrade not only sets up a coordinated, far-reaching system, it also
sets the stage for advancing wireless data applications–and a struggle
for more spectrum to carry those services.

The region has been plagued for years by dropped communications among
emergency personnel and headquarters, inadequate radio coverage and lack
of coordination among responders' radio systems, as well as dead spots.
The long simmering problems became a glaring flaw after the Sept. 11
attacks on the Pentagon, which spotlighted the need for closer
coordination among emergency responders in the region.

The city's upgrade integrates the 800 MHz and 460 MHz radio systems used
by police, fire and emergency medical services personnel, adds
additional tower sites for transmission equipment and provides
interoperability for the city's emergency services through a central
Motorola switch.

The $36 million project was fueled by federal grant money aimed at
bolstering the district's national and regional emergency preparedness
capabilities. The federal government designated the area a Regional
Information Coordination Center, which requires coordination of all 17
local, city, state and federal emergency communications jurisdictions.

Yet the improvements were made ahead of a long-awaited FCC decision that
could significantly alter the network, as well as incorporate spectrum
still occupied by TV broadcasters. The FCC still is considering
proposals from the industry and Nextel Communications Inc. that would
reband 800 MHz spectrum.

In the coming months, the District of Columbia, along with other city
governments, will support federal legislation that would stop the FCC's
planned auction of spectrum in the 700 MHz band to private interests in
favor of using it for emergency responders.

If the FCC adopts a plan that rebands 800 and 700 MHz frequencies, the
District of Columbia would be forced to reconfigure the upgrades,
according to Robert LeGrande, deputy chief technology officer for the
District of Columbia. Still, "we couldn't wait" for the FCC's decision,
LeGrande says. Integrated communications is a critical part of the
public's safety, and "this is a good interim solution," he adds.

Going forward, the district is working to introduce legislation that
would forestall the FCC's mandate to auction off 700 MHz spectrum and
re-designate it for emergency responders' use. It is working with the
city of San Diego; the U.S. Park Police; the state of Delaware; the city
of Phoenix, Ariz.; Montgomery County, Md.; the state of Texas; the state
of Arizona and other regional entities in a group called the Spectrum
Coalition for Public Safety (See
http://octo.dc.gov/information/scps.shtm).

The coalition seeks to get an additional 10 megahertz of 700 MHz
spectrum allocated to public safety and homeland security and move
broadcasters off the 700 MHz spectrum they have been told to vacate by
Dec. 31, 2006, or earlier.

LeGrande says the group already has met with the appropriate members of
Congress in both the Senate and House of Representatives to discuss the
legislation. The outside goal is to have a bill drafted by the end of
December, he says.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA333035&spacedesc=Departments&stt=000

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/