Subject: [NEXTEL-1] US tower firm fined over safety violations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:13:16 -0500

US tower firm fined over safety violations

The USA telecoms regulator, the Federal Communications Commission has
fined the tower company, SpectraSite Communications, US$120,500 for
safety-related violations of the Communications Act and the Commission’s
antenna structure rules, specifically, failure to register and light its
antenna structures. This action follows an investigation conducted by
the Commission’s Norfolk, Virginia Field Office.

The amount of the proposed forfeiture represents the statutory maximum
available. The Commission says that it decided to propose a
significantly higher forfeiture than generally used in such cases
because SpectraSite has a prior history of antenna structure rules
violations. SpectraSite has received three previous forfeitures in less
than three years for at least 13 instances of failure to comply with the
antenna structure rules.

The Commission also directed SpectraSite to submit a compliance report,
and directed the Enforcement Bureau to conduct a broader investigation
of SpectraSite’s compliance with the antenna rules, if appropriate after
review of SpectraSite’s compliance report.

SpectraSite’s customers include AT&T Wireless, Cingular, Nextel, Sprint
PCS, Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile.

 http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10029.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xlw.sC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/