Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PCIA Weighs In On Environmental Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:32:34 -0500

PCIA Weighs In On Environmental Issues
BY MARK ROCKWELL
NOVEMBER 13, 2003

WASHINGTON -- While the FCC recently denied environmental groups' challenges to
wireless tower construction, PCIA yesterday told the commission that research
showing any possible environmental harm posed by the towers isn't conclusive.

Late last week, the commission told the Friends of the Earth and the Forest
Conservation Council they had failed to provide sufficient evidence that towers
in the southeastern United States posed a threat to migratory birds. The groups
had objected to 29 applications for tower construction pending at the
commission. The FCC dismissed those objections.

The commission's action, however, didn't shut the door on the conservation
groups. In a separate statement, FCC Commissioner Michael Copps said his vote to
dismiss the objections was based more on FCC procedure than the substance of the
complaints. He hinted that if the groups could get specific, first-hand local
evidence of harm, they could file again.

In a separate filing yesterday, PCIA commented on a related FCC inquiry on the
potential harm posed to birds by the towers and asserted there has been no firm
scientific research to validate any claim made by environmental groups. It said
its members, including a number of tower owners, note that any significant bird
kills at their towers were "generally single isolated incidents." It also
suggested closer study of the two-year-old state of Michigan's Avian Collision
Study, which uses scientific methods to examine the issue. It cautioned,
however, the study "may not be statistically valid" and the findings might not
transfer geographically.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=128421&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/