Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NASCAR hopes to open new doors with new sponsor Nextel

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:24:11 -0500

NASCAR hopes to open new doors with new sponsor Nextel

By Sarah Talalay 
Staff Writer 
Posted November 13 2003 

Nextel Communications executives have been traveling to NASCAR races 
preparing for their historic sponsorship of one of sports' most 
recognizable properties, the Winston Cup.

The new sponsorship won't be evident at this weekend's 2003 NASCAR 
finale, the Ford Championship Weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

"We want to be respectful of the current sponsor, which really is 
responsible for helping NASCAR become what it is today," said Audrey 
Schaefer, Nextel's senior director of corporate communications. "We 
want to allow them to have their victory lap."

But early next year, anything that now says "Winston" as it has for 
the past 33 years, will be renamed "Nextel." The telecommunications 
company agreed in June to a 10-year deal thought to be worth $700 
million to sponsor NASCAR's premier racing series. Nextel will 
appear on drivers' uniforms, tickets and signs.

"It will be something I think will resonate with fans. Will it fall 
off the tongue? It may not happen in an instant," Schaefer said, but 
she added she thinks fans will adapt quickly, since they are so 
loyal to the sport.

The change won't just be a cosmetic one from old to new economy, 
from cigarettes to cellular phones. Where R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., 
parent company of Winston, was prohibited from advertising on 
television, Nextel isn't. It's expected the company will help 
attract technology and other new economy corporations, which covet 
the thriving sport' 75 million fans.

"I think the biggest element is the panache of the telecom industry. 
Everyone uses cell phones," NASCAR President Mike Helton said. "The 
greatest benefit is the restrictions on the Winston brand. Nextel 
doesn't have those restrictions. They will be on the street telling 
their story."

Nextel executives can hardly wait.

"NASCAR is such a unique opportunity for any organization to be 
associated with. There's nothing like it," Schaefer said, adding 
that Nextel has sponsored baseball, football and hockey. "There's no 
other chance for a company to have a face with a sport with such 
loyal fans. ... While we know we need to earn their respect, it's a 
fantastic door opener."

Nextel plans to adapt to the change quickly, appearing trackside 
with demonstration areas in which fans can try out the company's 
direct-connect capability and learn how Nextel will be able to 
download NASCAR stats and information directly to their cellular 
phones.

"We'll definitely be looking to see how we could take our technology 
to enhance and improve the fan experience," Schaefer said.

The company also plans to develop safe driving messages, she said.

Nextel has agreed to grandfather in Alltel and Cingular and other 
wireless companies already sponsoring NASCAR, but expects to be the 
primary telecommunications sponsor moving forward.

At a time when sponsors are dropping out of the sport, NASCAR is 
hoping Nextel will help boost interest among other Fortune 500 
companies that might not have considered the sport.

"It's early to expect an onslaught of people. I still believe it 
will bring other technology companies," Helton said. "Certainly we 
believe with Nextel in its position ... we think they'll have an 
opportunity to get someone's attention in boardrooms."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/