Subject: [NEXTEL-1] interWAVE Secures Order for Wireless Infrastructure in Kurdish Northern Iraq

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:32:48 -0500

interWAVE Secures Order for Wireless Infrastructure in Kurdish Northern Iraq

Initial Phase of Project for Eight Cities to Total $1.4 Million

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Nov. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- interWAVE(R)
Communications (Nasdaq: IWAV), a Silicon Valley pioneer in compact wireless
communications systems, today announced that it received an initial order from
Sanatel totaling $1.4 million for a GSM-based wireless infrastructure to link
eight cities in northern Iraq.  Sanatel, owned by Halabja General Trading
Company, is one of three wireless operators officially licensed to provide
cellular services in Kurdistan.

"Establishing a modern telecommunications network infrastructure is critical to
the rebuilding efforts of Iraq," said Bill Carlin, chief operations officer for
interWAVE.  "Our proven track record in providing wireless solutions to the
Middle East and other regions of the world, combined with our local presence,
will allow us to provide Sanatel with the necessary support and solutions for
building out their network." The compact and robust nature of interWAVE's GSM
solution enables rapid network deployment throughout the world.  Providing
immediate telecommunications capabilities to war-torn areas, such as Iraq,
profoundly affects the economy and quality of life for its residents by linking
them with neighbors, family, and business partners.  Furthermore, the
flexibility and scalability of interWAVE's solution allows operators to
build-out their networks incrementally, recognize a quick return on their
investment, and make future expansions not only possible but also profitable in
the near term.  "Halabja and Sanatel, in conjunction with the rapid improvement
in the standard of living and the resumption of municipal services throughout
the region, have initiated an aggressive expansion plan," said Mohammed Ali,
chief executive officer of Halabja General Trading Company.  "interWAVE's
scaleable GSM solution will play a significant role in our current and future
plans for network expansion throughout the region.  Moreover, Sanatel has been
successful at providing telecommunications capability to a significant number of
subscribers since assuming operations of the network." Prior to its ownership of
Sanatel, Halabja General Trading Company had purchased an existing GSM network
in the city of Sulaimaniah, Kurdistan.  Since Halabja's purchase of Sanatel,
Sanatel has doubled the networks subscriber base, and is now expanding the
capacity of the network to include eight additional cities -- one of which being
Halabja.  In addition, Sanatel plans on being an active participant in the
nationwide tender process currently driven by the Coalition Provisional
Authority of Iraq (CPA) for the provision of cellular services in the country.

About interWAVE interWAVE Communications International, Ltd. (Nasdaq: IWAV) is a
global provider of compact network solutions and services that offer the most
innovative, cost effective and scaleable network architectures, allowing
operators to "reach the unreached."  interWAVE's solutions provide economical,
distributed networks that minimize capital expenditure while accelerating
customers' revenue generation.  These solutions feature a product suite for the
rapid and simple deployment of end-to-end compact cellular systems and broadband
wireless data networks.  interWAVE's highly portable mobile, cellular networks
and broadband wireless solutions provide vital and reliable wireless
communications capabilities for customers in over 50 countries.  interWAVE's
U.S. subsidiary is headquartered at 2495 Leghorn Street, Mountain View,
California, and can be contacted at iwv.com or at (650) 314-2500.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-18-2003/0002060415&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/