Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC PROVIDES INFORMATION FOR CONSUMERS ON WIRELESS LOCAL NUMBER PORTABILITY

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:50:24 -0500

The WLNP fact sheet

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE             NEWS MEDIA CONTACTS:
November 4, 2003              Chelsea Fallon at (202) 418-7991
e-mail:[email-masked]

Rosemary Kimball at (202) 418-0511

e-mail: [email-masked]

FCC PROVIDES INFORMATION FOR CONSUMERS ON WIRELESS LOCAL NUMBER
PORTABILITY

Washington, D.C. – Today, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
released a fact sheet for consumers on wireless local number portability
(WLNP).  WLNP allows a wireless consumer to change service providers
within a given location and keep the same phone number.  The FCC’s rules
require wireless carriers to make WLNP available to consumers in the top
100 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) starting November 24, 2003.
In areas outside the top 100 MSAs, WLNP will be available by May 24,
2004, or within six months of a wireless carrier’s receiving a porting
request from another carrier, whichever is later.

The WLNP fact sheet explains the steps consumers should follow to keep
their wireless telephone number when changing service providers and
highlights what consumers should expect from the porting process.  The
fact sheet includes information on how long the porting process should
take, possible charges consumers may incur  for number portability, and
the use of 911 services during the porting process.  The fact sheet also
includes a map and a list of the MSAs where number portability will
begin on November 24, 2003.

The WLNP fact sheet is attached and is available on the Consumer and
Governmental Affairs Web site at www.fcc.gov/cgb.

- FCC -

The WLNP fact sheet
 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-240702A2.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/