Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NextWave overcomes FCC objections to test broadband wireless

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:27:29 -0500

NextWave overcomes FCC objections to test broadband wireless
By HEATHER FORSGREN WEAVER
November 10 12:55:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—NextWave Telecom Inc. received approval Nov. 7 to conduct a
broadband wireless trial, but only after
Bankruptcy Judge Adlai Hardin Jr. had to moderate a dispute between
NextWave and the Federal Communications
Commission, which objected to the trial because “of a lack of clarity.”

“At the hearing last Friday, NextWave reviewed its intentions regarding
the broadband trial, and Judge Hardin approved
our request to spend up to $39 million conducting such a trial. The
court's approval doesn't limit the trial to a specific
location or technology, so we have a lot of flexibility moving forward.
We're in the final stage now of formulating specific
parameters for the trial and expect to start deploying facilities in the
very near future,” said Michael Wack, NextWave
deputy general counsel and senior vice president.

In October, Hardin said NextWave could conduct a trial in Las Vegas
using fixed-wireless spectrum from IPWireless, but
now NextWave has indicated it might conduct a trial in another location.
Wherever it holds the trial, it will cost less than
the approved $39 million. Using the IPWireless spectrum is necessary if
NextWave conducts its trial in Las Vegas,
because pending regulatory approval, NextWave has agreed to sell its PCS
license for Las Vegas to Cingular Wireless
L.L.C.
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15844