Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia comments on battery troubles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:00:19 -0500

Nokia comments on battery troubles
November 13 12:49:00, 2003

HELSINKI, Finland—Following numerous reports of exploding batteries in Nokia
Corp. phones—which the company
continues to blame on unsafe, low-quality counterfeit products—Nokia said it has
so far seized and destroyed more than
5 million counterfeit batteries this year.

The company said it most recently witnessed raids in Belgium, the United Kingdom
and other countries in the European
Union, giving authorities leads on a counterfeit network.

"I want to stress that consumer safety is our top concern," said Janne
Jormalainen, Nokia’s vice president of mobile
enhancements. "We believe consumers are unknowingly being fooled into buying
unsafe, low-quality batteries and we
are actively taking measures to combat the illegal counterfeit operation at the
root of this problem."

Nokia also said Test-Aankoop, a Belgian consumer group, acknowledged its recent
test results—which led to an
announcement that Nokia batteries were unsafe—were "most probably unreliable"
due to the inclusion of counterfeit
batteries in their test sample. Nokia said Test-Aankoop has agreed to a new,
independent test of batteries.

Nokia said it will engage in aggressive, regional anti-counterfeit measures.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15916

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/