Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] In building antenna...

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:42:53 -0500

OK, Steve, it's time for RF reality.

Repeat after me.  Radio coverage isn't everywhere...radio coverage isn't
everywhere...radio coverage isn't everywhere...radio coverage isn't
everywhere...radio coverage isn't everywhere...not everybody uses Windo
(oops, wrong mantra)

Radio wave propagation is funny stuff.  Sort'a like light.  Typically,
it doesn't work around corners, basements, sub-basements, shielded
computer rooms, etc.  The glass-mount antenna routine sort'a works, and
that was the thrust of the gentleman's prior comment about a passive
repeater -- two gain antennas connected by a chunk of transmission line,
which, in theory and sometimes in practice, brings a satisfactorily
higher signal level into locations like your basement office.  But, if
Nextel will put in a booster, you will have higher signal, and might
even have coverage at your desk.  As in the case of the passive
repeater, it depends on the implementation. 

The Q's. are whether there is enough subscriber traffic to pay for the
booster, and whether the building owner / mgr. will permit it.  You or
your employer can't do it on your own, because it's a radio transmitter
and use of the radio spectrum Nextel operates on is restricted to
Nextel-owned/approved devices.  Nextel holds the FCC license and that
spectrum is exclusive to them at that location.

Roger Madden
___________

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Santinelli [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 12:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] In building antenna...

Well, we have two of those silly glass mount antenna's that is supposed 
to help with your signal, but, I don't think they really work...  What I

DO want is basically just that, a repeater (Just want to see if Nextel 
will foot the bill).

Vogler, Terry R. (TVOGLER) wrote:

> Any reason against putting in a passive repeater as a first step to 
> see if it solves your problems?
>
> Terry
> -----Original Message-----
> *From:* Steven Santinelli [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 11, 2003 11:09 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [NEXTEL-1] In building antenna...
>
> Well...  If you go UPSTAIRS or in the computer room, you have
> service...  And guess what?  I work for the State, so, you know
them... 
> Outside, we have GREAT coverage.
>
> So... What your saying is I might be able to convince Nextel to put
> something in the building?  :)
>
> Steve
>
> Jack Daniel wrote:
>
> > Steve, I have to ask the obvious; why in heck do you pay for service
> > that doesn't work? Seems you are screwing your customers out of tech
> > support because your service provider is screwing you. Bad way to
run a
> > business IMHO.
> >
> > Nextel puts in signal boosters all the time but you have to be a BIG
> > account or have hundreds of users in your facility. Keep in mind
signal
> > boosters generally won't work if you don' have usable signal outside
the
> > building to start with.
> >
> > I guess your building is one of the many millions of structures that
> > would burn down >> IF << public safety first responders depended on
> > Nextel service as a so called 'interoperability solution'.
> >
> > But don't feel alone; approximately 75% of the U.S. area is not
served
> > by Nextel but it's not profitable to do so.
> >
> > That's the way business gets done.
> >
> > 
>
========================================================================
=====
> >
> > Steven Santinelli wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh yeah...
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if Nextel will put in-building repeaters for
> > > companies
> > > / State agencies?  We have a terrible time in Concord, NH in our
> > > building getting a nextel signal.  ONLY where our Tech support
group
> > > is... The ones using NEXTEL PHONES!!!  :^)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Steve
> >
> > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
> > ADVERTISEMENT
> > 
>
<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cgaim7d/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1068652749/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix
.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116719 
<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cgaim7d/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1068652749/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix
.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116719>> 
>
> >
> >
> >
> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
> > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
>
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service 
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
>
> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
> ADVERTISEMENT
>
<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cvdtikh/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1068657402/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix
.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> 
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service 
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Steven Santinelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:24:12 -0500

Hi Roger... Yes... I have my ticket...  KB1GIT.  :^)  I know how radio 
waves work... What I want to do, OR have Nextel do, is setup Antenna's 
on the roof, and repeat downstairs.  Simple.  All I was wondering was, 
if anyone knew if Nextel would do something like that, since that is 
what our Pager company is doing for us because we do not get coverage in 
the basement...  Facing North...

Steve

Madden, Roger wrote:

> <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12co8fa57/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1068662910/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM> 
>
>
>