Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: WiFi the NYC subway, Fact Check?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:54:44 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "jon baer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  WiFi the NYC subway, Fact Check?

I asked an engineer @ city hall this question about a month ago + he said
that (despite what I thought) Verizon is not the main responsibility for the
phone underground and pointed me to another site that is a pretty
interesting read:

http://www.tsd.org/ieee1473/index.htm

I dont really get what this has to do with 802.11 but aparently its
"interoperatability" for its own underground network controlling the trains,
which would lead to think that there would be security concerns with
offering a public network within their own, not to mention vandalism
concerns ... does anyone here know someone @ verizon or mta?

- jon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yury G" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 2:54 PM
Subject:  WiFi the NYC subway, Fact Check?

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to fact check something.  Has the NYC subway (underground)
> ever had a WiFi or wireless internet connection, in any station, on any
> line, at any time?  Other cities have installed wireless service in
> their subway stations, that much i'm aware of.  But has NYC or the MTA
> ever tested this?  anyone in the  know?
>
> thank in advance,
> Yury
>
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/