Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel deploys used equipment for 800 MHz retune: Was : NEXTEL...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:56:53 EST

Don't confuse two different issues.  The issue of equipment needed to 
facilitate a retune is a different issue than replacement equipment for equipment 
that won't work on the new frequencies.  We dealt with these issues extensively 
in the Upper 200 retunes that we were involved in.

On the first issue, that of equipment needed to facilitate a retune (which 
was NOT replacement equipment), this was primarily (albeit not exclusively) 
necessary with regard to combiners (i.e. we had a five channel combiner, needed a 
ten channel to do the retune, and then only needed a five channel when it was 
over).  Nextel gave us a choice of which equipment to retune: what Nextel sent 
to us, or what we were using originally (I use the word "we" in terms of our 
clients).

That's a different issue than the issue of equipment which needed to be 
replaced.  In the Upper 200 negotiations, the consisted primarily of really old 
radios that could only do 861-865 MHz, and couldn't be retuned to 851-860 MHz.  
In some cases, we negotiated for newer, albeit used, radios which Nextel 
already had in Abilene.  In almost all cases, our clients were pleased with what 
they received from the warehouse.  In the few cases where they were not pleased, 
we did not have any problems quickly receiving other radios.  In some cases 
(particularly with our clients that have EDACS systems), Nextel did not have 
appropriate replacements available, and new equipment became necessary.  In every 
case, we took into account the time that was necessary to check used 
equipment to ensure that it was working order in our analysis of costs.

If rebanding is adopted, there are extremely few radios presently operating 
on 851-860 that will need to be replaced, so I don't believe there will be any 
issue there.  However, NPSPAC licensees with radios that cannot be 
reprogrammed for 851-854 MHz will need to have those radios replaced.

Alan

In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:36:58 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
At the Tower Summit, a Nextel representative told the audience they had
a 150,000 square ft warehouse in Texas where they stored and repaired
old SMR equipment that had been taken out of service when they acquire a
system. If this is what you are calling a "Non-Distribution Center"
Nextel isn't hiding it.

It was very interesting that they propose to use this used equipment in
the 800 MHz 'retuning' program. 

No one from APCO that was there seemed to be surprised at this.

As I understood the Nextel presenter, Nextel would deploy the used SMR
equipment (TX combiners, duplexers, RX multicouplers, antennas, cables,
stations, etc.) as a parallel system on the existing public safety
system so there would be no service interruptions. This could be done on
a site by site basis too.

Since the used parallel system would be providing the new 'equivalent'
coverage, the public safety agency would have the option to just keep
the used parallel system and let Nextel have their old equipment for
salvage or refurbishing for another public safety system. A
Nextel/Denver consultant offered this as part of a 'one-step' retune
program, as opposed to a 'two-step' where the agency would retune their
existing equipment.

Remember, the retune deal is an 'equivalent' trade so it's just a swap
of used equipment for used equipment, not new replacements. I assume the
cost of Nextel refurbishing the used equipment would be part of their
reimbursement cost cap.

This may make their $700 million value more accurate since most people
didn't know they were getting Nextel's used equipment in the deal.

It's going to be interesting to watch as Nextel's pulls a lot more
surprises out of the hat after the FCC rules in favor of their consensus
plan. 

Since public safety is so strongly endorsing Nextel's plan, including
the used equipment exchange, there may not be much justification to
complain or change the plan later. 

But I may be wrong.......
Jack Daniel

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:34:31 -0800

Thanks for confirming Nextel may supply used SMR equipment to replace
'untunable' public safety equipment -and- as change-over equipment.

We are saying exactly the same thing.

I just don't think some public safety people were aware this would be
the approach you and Nextel worked out.

I guess non-technical people view radios like shoes; shoes is shoes,
except when you trade used Nike's for used Walmart sneakers.
=====================================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
> facilitate a retune is a different issue than replacement equipment
> for equipment that won't work on the new frequencies.  We dealt with
> these issues extensively in the Upper 200 retunes that we were
> involved in.
> 
> On the first issue, that of equipment needed to facilitate a retune
> (which was NOT replacement equipment), this was primarily (albeit not
> exclusively) necessary with regard to combiners (i.e. we had a five
> channel combiner, needed a ten channel to do the retune, and then only
> needed a five channel when it was over).  Nextel gave us a choice of
> which equipment to retune: what Nextel sent to us, or what we were
> using originally (I use the word "we" in terms of our clients).
> 
> That's a different issue than the issue of equipment which needed to
> be replaced.  In the Upper 200 negotiations, the consisted primarily
> of really old radios that could only do 861-865 MHz, and couldn't be
> retuned to 851-860 MHz.  In some cases, we negotiated for newer,
> albeit used, radios which Nextel already had in Abilene.  In almost
> all cases, our clients were pleased with what they received from the
> warehouse.  In the few cases where they were not pleased, we did not
> have any problems quickly receiving other radios.  In some cases
> (particularly with our clients that have EDACS systems), Nextel did
> not have appropriate replacements available, and new equipment became
> necessary.  In every case, we took into account the time that was
> necessary to check used equipment to ensure that it was working order
> in our analysis of costs.
> 
> If rebanding is adopted, there are extremely few radios presently
> operating on 851-860 that will need to be replaced, so I don't believe
> there will be any issue there.  However, NPSPAC licensees with radios
> that cannot be reprogrammed for 851-854 MHz will need to have those
> radios replaced.
> 
> Alan
> 
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/