Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Report highlights e911 holes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:16:53 -0500

Report highlights e911 holes

 BY Michael Hardy
 Nov. 12, 2003

 Wireless enhanced 911 services are still several years away in
 many states, according to a General Accounting Office report.

 GAO officials found that about 65 percent of the public safety
 answering points -- the facilities that receive 911 calls and dispatch
 help -- had Phase I wireless e911 service, which provides the
 approximate location of the caller, as of October.

 Only 18 percent had Phase II capabilities, however, which provide
 a more specific caller location, GAO officials found. The
 Transportation Department database providing the figures did not
 show how many of the answering points need equipment upgrades
 to move up a level and how many do not.

 In a GAO survey of states, 24 said they will have Phase II e911
 services by 2005. The rest either could not estimate a date or
 estimated dates beyond 2005.

 Deployment of e911 services is estimated to cost more than $8
 billion over the next five years. Lack of funding is one of the key hindrances,
the GAO report
 said.

http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/1110/web-e911-11-12-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/