Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vendors Press On PTT Wagon

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:43:12 -0500

Vendors Press On PTT Wagon
BY SUE MAREK
NOVEMBER 15, 2003

Could a shakeup be near at hand for the push-to-talk vendor market?

With PTT solutions proliferating, industry analysts expect some of the platforms
will fail because the market simply can't support them all.

Which platforms will fall by the wayside is another question. Some of the usual
wireless heavyweights, such as Nokia, Motorola, Qualcomm, Siemens and Comverse,
offer a selection of PTT solutions. But newcomers are in the mix as well. Sonim
Technologies offers a PTT solution manufactured by long-timer Ericsson, and
fastmobile touts its "fastchat" service that bypasses the carrier and targets
consumers directly with downloads to their handsets.

Enter yet another player. Kodiak Networks, a wireless systems company that
offers a voice services platform, is headed by former Vodafone AirTouch chief
technology officer Craig Farrill. The company says its product is unique because
it is an all-IP based packet-switched solution that uses the existing voice
channel instead of the data channel that other PTT vendors use.

Kodiak's solution could eliminate some of the interoperability issues that
currently plague PTT. And that could be an important differentiator. Proponents
of PTT say it must be interoperable among different carrier networks and
handsets for the service to reach its full potential–and benefit the most
wireless carriers.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA336348&spacedesc=Features&stt=000

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/