Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.K. to Allow Spectrum Trading Rights

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:17:51 -0500

U.K. to Allow Spectrum Trading Rights

The British institutes Ofcom and the Radiocommunications Agency started a
joint consultation on proposals to allow the trading of rights to use radio
spectrum. The providers of wireless communications services are each
assigned different frequencies within the electromagnetic spectrum. The large
majority of those services operate under the terms of licences issued by the
Radiocommunications Agency -- the DTI agency responsible for the
management of most non-military spectrum in the UK. After 29 December
2003, the Radiocommunications Agency's responsibilities will pass to the new
communications regulator, Ofcom. At present, these spectrum licences cannot
be traded or sold. Ofcom and the Radiocommunications Agency are now
proposing to introduce new mechanisms to allow trading in rights to use
spectrum.

===========================================================
Ofcom prepares consultation on radio spectrum
trading

08:39
Wednesday November 19, 2003, Telecom.paper

Ofcom and the Radiocommunications Agency today announced the beginning of
a joint consultation on proposals to allow the trading of rights to use radio
spectrum.

The providers of wireless communications services such as mobile telephony,
pagers, radio and television broadcasts, as well as the providers and users of
two-way radios and many other types of service, are each assigned different
frequencies within the electromagnetic spectrum.

The large majority of those services operate under the terms of licences issued
by the Radiocommunications Agency -- the DTI agency responsible for the
management of most non-military spectrum in the UK. After 29 December 2003,
the Radiocommunications Agency's responsibilities will pass to the new
communications regulator, Ofcom.

At present, these spectrum licences cannot be traded or sold. Ofcom and the
Radiocommunications Agency are now proposing to introduce new mechanisms
to allow trading in rights to use spectrum.

The UK is in the lead in Europe in issuing such a substantial consultation on
spectrum trading. Ofcom and the Radiocommunications Agency are now seeking
views on this fundamental and potentially far-reaching change in spectrum
management.

The Communications Act 2003 requires Ofcom to further the interests of citizens
in relation to communications matters and to further the interests of consumers
in relevant markets, where appropriate by promoting competition. The Act also
requires Ofcom to ensure the optimal use of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Spectrum trading will play a significant role in achieving those statutory
requirements. An open market in spectrum, governed by fair and effective
competition rules, will make it easier for new wireless communications services
to
become established. Trading will ensure the most efficient use of the radio
spectrum and bring a greater choice of services.

Ofcom Chief Executive Stephen Carter said:
"Spectrum trading will allow innovation and choice to shape the future
allocation
of spectrum, in place of the centrally planned, top-down approach of the past."

"Our aim is to stimulate an environment in which the UK's communications
industries flourish. The introduction of spectrum trading is a major component
of
that overarching policy objective."

Welcoming publication of the consultation Stephen Timms, Minister for
E-Commerce, said:
"This is a milestone in the transfer to Ofcom of its stewardship of the radio
spectrum. This consultation document can help unlock even greater benefits
from our use of the radio spectrum. It is important that we make the best
possible use of this finite resource. This is key to the provision of new
wireless
services that underpin modern communications for business, entertainment and
leisure, as well as for essential public services."

"The proposals in this consultation document can play an important part by
making spectrum available more quickly and efficiently for the new wireless
services on which future prosperity depends. I welcome this publication as a
significant further step in the programme of market-based reforms that we have
taken forward since 1997. I hope that as many as possible will give Ofcom the
benefit of their views so that we can look ahead with confidence to a successful

launch of spectrum trading."

http://www.telecom.paper.nl/site/news_TA.asp?type=pressrelease&id=37079&nr=480

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/