Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Prepared for New Era of Wireless Local Number Portability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:59:36 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031117/175530_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.

Nextel Prepared for New Era of Wireless Local Number Portability
Monday November 17, 8:38 am ET

Wireless Leader Equips Sales Teams and Customers with WLNP Tools to Streamline Process

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 17, 2003--Nextel Communications
Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today announced the company is prepared to begin
porting wireless and wireline phone numbers in the top 100 U.S.
markets beginning November 24, 2003. In support of the Federal
Communications Commission's (FCC) Wireless Local Number Portability
(WLNP) mandate, Nextel has worked diligently to prepare systems,
implement new processes, and train employees to make sure customers
can port their numbers with confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Wireless Local Number Portability marks the beginning of a new
era for people who rely on wireless service to get things done in
their business and personal lives, and who now have the freedom to
choose exciting features like Nextel's Nationwide Direct Connect(sm)
walkie-talkie service, without losing their phone numbers," said Mark
Schweitzer, Nextel's senior vice president of marketing. "Nextel has
anticipated where there may be bumps in the road during a port request
that are beyond our control, and has carefully prepared our sales and
customer care representatives and dedicated WLNP resources to work
with customers to eliminate barriers."

In addition to conducting extensive internal system and process
testing and external testing with other carriers to ensure readiness
in advance of the WLNP deadline, Nextel is equipping customers and
sales representatives with a number of WLNP tools to streamline the
process before and during porting.

Business Customers

Nextel's sales force is armed with a variety of flexible tools to
work with customers to transfer individual numbers, or many numbers at
one time, in a smooth, efficient manner. Customers may choose the most
convenient method of providing Nextel the phone number(s) and
associated account information necessary to initiate the porting
process, be it an electronic file, copies of bills from the other
carriers, or other means. Nextel's sales teams are able to check the
eligibility of phone numbers for porting through various methods
including a data application running on their Nextel handsets, through
sales support websites and at the time of entering orders for
customers. A port eligibility check tool is also available at
www.nextel.com for customers who wish to check for themselves the
eligibility of their numbers for porting to Nextel. The Nextel sales
force can also provide a high level technical overview of the porting
process to give customers a better understanding of what happens when
they transfer phone numbers from one carrier to another.

During the porting process, the Nextel sales teams will continue
to work with customers to provide updates on the status of their port
requests. Customers can also access automated tools to check the
status of their requests at www.nextel.com, or through special
automated menu options when they call Nextel Customer Care. If issues
arise during the porting process, Nextel's sales force will follow a
defined special communication process to resolve problems with the
porting out carrier and provide timely feedback to customers. This
process is facilitated by Nextel's dedicated WLNP customer management
team whose one objective is to resolve as quickly as possible any
problem that may arise with other service providers during the porting
process.

Individual Customers

Individual customers who wish to transfer their phone numbers to
Nextel may do so through any Nextel sales outlet. Customers may check
the eligibility of their phone numbers for porting on Nextel's website
or ask a Nextel representative to do it for them. For single number
wireless-to-wireless ("simple") port requests, Nextel will strive to
complete the transfer within the 2 1/2 hour timeframe recommended by
the FCC for transferring phone numbers. Wireline-to-wireless port
requests will likely take as many as four days to complete.

An overview of WLNP and a tool to check eligibility of a phone
number to port is available at www.nextel.com/wlnp.

About Nextel Communications

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 293
of the top 300 U.S. markets. Through recent market launches, Nextel
and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the U.S.
where approximately 248 million people live or work.

Contact:

Nextel Communications Inc.
Media: Karen Lien Miller, 630-875-4014
Investors: Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.

Email this story
-
Set
a News Alert

Sponsored
Links

Managed Forex Accounts
GCI Financial is a leading provider of asset management services. GCI offers foreign currency investment programs with superior track records and global diversification.
www.gcitrading.com

TD Waterhouse Investment Planning Tools
TD Waterhouse offers a full range of brokerage, banking, retirement and mutual fund products and services. Open a new account and take control of your investment planning today.
www.tdwaterhouse.com

JBHanauer & Co. Bond Specialist Est 1931
Grow with bonds. Full service, independent broker dealer offering all forms of fixed income investments. Market research and commentary. Bond finder. Tools and calculators. Estate planning.
jbh.com
(What's This?)

Related
Quote

NXTL

23.07

-0.55

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

UPDATE - Sprint PCS launches walkie-talkie service - Reuters (1:23 pm)

·

About 10 Pct. of Verizon Workers to Leave - Reuters (12:41 pm)

·

Soon, One of the Wireless Players Will Blink - RealCommentary from TheStreet.com (11:14 am)

·

[external] Prices slide to end week on sour note - at CBS MarketWatch (Fri Nov 14)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Internet, Networking, Publishing, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Qaeda Threats Unnerve World Markets - Reuters (11:32 am)

·

Fund Scandal Widens, Morgan Stanley Fined - Reuters (12:36 pm)

·

About 10 Pct. of Verizon Workers to Leave - Reuters (12:41 pm)

·

Press Magnate Black Forced to Step Down - Reuters (12:30 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.