Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vol. #90: 1xEV-DO -- Surfin' the turf in San Diego

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:02:31 -0500

Vol. #90: 1xEV-DO -- Surfin' the turf in San Diego
Brian T. Modoff
(+1) 415 617 4237
[email-masked]
Michael W. Thelander
(+1) 415 617 3324
[email-masked]
Signals to Noise (S2N) Trend Analysis
Table of contents
Signals to investors .......................................... Page 03
Wireless news.................................................. Page 16
Handset/infrastructure forecasts...................... Page 21
Worldwide CDMA subscribers......................... Page 23
Covered Company Performance
Weekly Return Y/Y Return YTD Return
Brightpoint 2.7% 2370.1% 422.1%
Stratex Ntwrk 2.6% 133.5% 95.5%
Endwave 11.4% 479.9% 526.2%
Ericsson -3.1% 159.4% 146.3%
Motorola 0.8% -7.3% 25.3%
Nokia -5.7% 11.7% 0.6%
Powerwave 3.3% 84.8% 92.0%
Qualcomm 3.9% 52.1% 17.7%
RF Micro Dev 12.4% 45.8% 38.2%
Sirenza 1.6% 181.1% 181.1%
Tekelec 5.4% 100.6% 70.8%
Nasdaq -0.2% 45.0% 38.9%
  S2N. In this week?s S2N we take a sneak peak at the performance of
1xEV-DO in a network that will soon become commercial.
  Momentum hiccup. Last week, NOK and TXN took some of the wind
out  of the sails of the momentum chasers. Like Q4/02, pricing
pressure is offsetting an upside  in unit volumes. This trend will
likely
continue, since excess manufacturing capacity far outpaces demand.
  Nortel BTS redesign. Multiple industry contacts have confirmed that
NT  is  redesigning its CDMA  base station, which could include an
internally designed pre-distortion PA. Potential PWAV impact.
  1xEV-DO 101. We review the underlying  technology  of  the  IS-856
standard,  which is  better known as 1xEV-DO (CDMA2000 1X
Evolution ? Data Optimized).
  Sneak peak. On a recent visit to San Diego, we went surfin? ? 1xEV-
DO style. Average data rates were typically 500-800kbps (DL) and 80-
100kbps (UL) with peak rates hitting 1.2Mbps (DL).
  It?s comin?. While the exact launch date remains a mystery (our guess

? sub 30 days), one North American operator is making plans to offer
its subscribers a very compelling service. We discuss.
  What if we?re wrong? While VOD gave its WCDMA endorsement on
Friday,  T-Mobile  and  O2-Germany  are stalling as expected and the
cost/benefits analysis of Release ?99 and then HSDPA, in light of slow
data  growth  and capital constraints is questionable.  Could operators
be rethinking their strategies?
http://www.mobilecompetency.com/single2noise/s2n90_091503_surfintheturf.pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xlw.sC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Sue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:59:25 -0500

Hiya...
  I enjoy this list but I was wondering if you could do something about the
size of the posts? This morning's posts were HUGE! One of them alone was
about a meg! Can't you put the attached files in the file section instead of
sending them with the post? Those of us stuck on dialup will really
appreciate it...so will those who get digest as they don't get the
attachments with it. Just a suggestion.
Thanks :-)

Sue

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:16:00 -0500

Hey Sue,

Thanks for your comments! Yes, I know some attachments are huge. The problem is
some of the URL's become null & void after a few months and the valuable data is
lost. I have a program that auto archives all Nextel-1 messages with attachments
in a library.  The "Files Section"
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/files/)  is almost full and I have
several other Nextel-1 back-up groups with megs of files. The auto archive web
based program has 20 Gigs of storage space, unfortunately I can't give everyone
access. If I could  that would solve the problem. I will try to remember not
everyone is on a T-1 and will try to minimize the message size........
Marcel-

---

From: "Neil Horden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:52:58 -0000

If you read the posts on-line at;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1
You will not have this problem.

You can control the settings for your Yahoo Grouos here;
http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups

Hope this helps.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Bulldog" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:34:41 -0000

Change your preferences to NOT send email.

Then you can login at http://groups.yahoo.com and read only the posts 
you want.