Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Senators Introduce Legislation to Stop Sale of Traffic Signal Controllers In Michigan

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:00:50 -0500

Senators Introduce Legislation to Stop Sale of Traffic Signal Controllers In
Michigan

LANSING, MI, Nov. 15, 2003 - Sens. Tony Stamas (R-Midland) and Jud Gilbert
(R-Algonac) introduced legislation recently to outlaw the purchase, possession
or use of traffic-signal controllers and provide penalties for offenders.
"This legislation will help protect residents and visitors traveling through our
state," Stamas said. "These devices are dangerous and should only be in the
hands of trained emergency personnel."

Known as Mobile Infrared Transmitters, the devices emit a beam to receivers
installed at intersections and, when within a 1,500-foot range, change the light
immediately from red to green. They are designed to allow emergency vehicles to
clear intersections before approaching. They were never intended for use by the
public.

Since the devices operate on infrared signals, they do not emit radio signals
like radar jammers and certain laser detectors. Therefore, they do not violate
Federal Communications Commission guidelines.

"People who abuse the transmitters create life-threatening situations at
intersections and should be penalized," Gilbert said. "This legislation will
punish offenders and deter others from buying and using the devices."

Stamas and Gilbert announced the introduction of Senate Bills 842 and 843
earlier today in a press conference attended by Secretary of State Terri Lynn
Land, Attorney General Mike Cox, Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard and
members of the law enforcement community.

Under this legislation penalties for offenders include:

• A misdemeanor charge with up to 90 days in jail and a fine of $5,000 for the
unlawful possession of a MIRT.

• A felony charge with up to two years in jail and a fine of $10,000 for the
unlawful sale or purchase of a MIRT.

• A felony charge with up to five years in jail and a fine of $15,000 for
individuals using a MIRT device resulting in a traffic accident.

• A felony charge with up to 15 years in jail and a fine of $25,000 for the use
of a MIRT resulting in death.

Senate Bills 842 and 843 have been referred to the Senate Committee on
Transportation.

http://www.itsa.org/ITSNEWS.NSF/4e0650bef6193b3e852562350056a3a7/6458c20b7684f98685256ddf0082aa6b?OpenDocument

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/