Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Two Virginia Counties Choose Motorola for $20 Million Public Safety Communications System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:06:34 -0500

Two Virginia Counties Choose Motorola for $20 Million Public Safety Communications System

York, James City Will Link 2,000 Radio Users

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. - November 18, 2003 - York County and James City County in Virginia have awarded
Motorola (NYSE:MOT) a contract for a new $20.2 million 800 MHz communications system that will make
communications among public safety agencies in both counties possible for the first time. The solution is
part of Motorola's extensive portfolio of public safety and security solutions for mission-critical integrated
communications, information management, regional coordination and incident command.

"Interoperability between our neighboring counties is critical to homeland security and in responding to any
type of emergency incident," said Terry Hall, communications manager for York County. "All of our
emergency responders now will be able to talk with each other at the scene and confer with others located
in James City County and other neighboring counties. If an emergency responder finds someone in medical
distress or involved in a crime situation and needs to communicate quickly with police officers or
responding fire units, right now they only have limited ability to do that. This new technology will change that."

For instance, when a tornado touched down in York County this past August, deputies, firefighters, road
crews, and EMS personnel dispatched to handle damage could not talk to each other on their radios due to
lack of interoperability.

"We had trees smashing through houses, road closings and other significant damage, but we couldn't
communicate that quickly to others. Our public safety personnel had to relay information to the dispatcher to
have the sheriff's department handle a task, and the sheriff's department had to relay back to the dispatcher
to tell the fire department to manage another task. Meanwhile, the dispatcher was handling all the calls at
the same time," said Hall.

"We have to be very creative in order to coordinate transportation, shelter and public information
communications with York County," said Richard Miller, chief of the James City County Fire Department. "We
do a lot of face-to-face communications, phone-to-phone, and calling into various dispatchers to relay
messages. It's very time consuming."

However, when the new, interoperable system is installed by late 2004, communications will be significantly
enhanced between the two counties and neighboring counties, said Miller.

"This technology offers high levels of interoperability both now and in the future," he said. "Because it offers
both digital and analog capabilities, we'll be able to communicate directly with nearby jurisdictions that have
compatible equipment, including the cities of Richmond, Virginia Beach and Newport News."

It was the combination of inadequate radio coverage, limited available channels, aging equipment and
incompatible systems that prompted the two counties to work together to replace their systems. The 800
MHz ASTRO® SmartZone® mixed mode (digital and analog) system is the first one in the Virginia area to
use Motorola's latest APCO Project 25 digital technology, the functional and technical standard for
public-safety digital systems that ensures users are able to communicate with each other. The system is
also designed to move into the 700 MHz band when it becomes available, enabling emergency personnel to
transmit photographs and streaming videos.

"The Motorola system was the only one that could meet all our requirements, for interoperability and
serviceability," said Hall.

More than 1,600 users are expected to come online in September 2004, including fire, sheriff, police and
public works departments from both counties. Eventually, more than 2,000 users will be on the system.

Located in the Williamsburg area of Virginia, York County covers 108 square miles and has a rapidly
growing population of more than 56,000 people. James City County, just west of York County, covers 144
square miles and is home to more than 49,000 people.

The counties plan to build nine towers, which would accommodate the antennas and microwave dishes that
will connect all the system sites together. Dispatchers will manage communications traffic from two
Motorola CENTRACOM Gold Elite™ consoles located at the existing dispatch center. Motorola XTS 2500™
and XTL 2500™ digital portable and mobile radios will be purchased for use by public safety agencies.

"Ensuring interoperability among emergency responders in the Virginia area is an important public safety
milestone, and we're proud to provide the latest technology to do just that," said Terry Scroggs, Motorola
area sales manager. "As neighboring jurisdictions switch to compatible technology in the future, the
interoperability of this new system will prove ever more valuable."

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,3520_2929_23,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/