Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia Pen-Based Phone Unveiled in Singapore

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:27:46 -0500

Nokia Pen-Based Phone Unveiled in Singapore

Nokia unveiled the new 3108 series mobile phone with intuitive pen input and
handwriting recognition capability. The device is expected to be available by
the end of the year to Chinese language users in Asia Pacific markets and
features tri-band functionality, a color display, built-in touch pad, calendar,
enhanced phonebook, wallpapers, polyphonic ringtones, animated screensavers,
games, MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) capabilities, Java(TM) and an xHTML
browser. The 3108 will be available in gray and white.

==================================================================

The pen-based Nokia 3108 makes messaging fun
11 Nov 2003

Offers a dynamic feature set to a wider and younger segment of Chinese language
users

Singapore - Nokia today added a new mobile phone with intuitive pen
input and handwriting recognition capability optimised for messaging
to its product portfolio. Sporting a trendy and dynamic outlook with
a fun and exciting feature set, the Nokia 3108 brings the benefits of
the innovative pen-based capability to a wider segment of Chinese
language users in Asia Pacific markets.

Created by designers in Nokia's Product Creation Centre in Beijing,
the Nokia 3108 has a Chinese-motivated design inspired by the
futuristic warrior theme, which will appeal to the younger segment of
Chinese language users. The phone supports tri-band (GSM
900/1800/1900) functionality, a high resolution colour display, a
stylish built-in touch pad, Lunar Calendar, an enhanced phonebook,
themed wallpapers, a host of fun and exciting range of polyphonic
ringtones, animated screensavers, games, MMS (Multimedia Messaging
Service), Java(TM) and an xHTML browser. The Nokia 3108 is expected
to be commercially available in select Asia Pacific markets during
the fourth quarter of 2003.

"We are very encouraged by the success of our first pen-based phone,
the Nokia 6108 which has been extremely well-received particularly in
China and other markets in Asia Pacific where there is a
predominantly large population of Chinese language users. This bears
testimony to the huge potential of consumers in the region who value
the intuitive pen-based feature optimised for Chinese messaging, "
said Robert Andersson, Senior Vice President, Nokia Mobile Phones,
Asia Pacific.

"Building on the success of the Nokia 6108, we are bringing the
benefits of the pen input capability to a broader segment of
consumers who enjoy self-expression, sharing experiences and moments
with their friends and family in a fun and exciting way. With its
dynamic and trendy design and fun features for personalisation, the
pen-based Nokia 3108 will appeal to a wider and younger consumer
segment with such needs and preferences," he said.

Enabled by its intuitive pen input capability, the Nokia 3108
designed with a stylish built-in touch pad and easy-grip stylus
recognises the handwriting both Chinese and Latin characters for
convenient message sending. The phone supports both handwriting and
keymat input. To utilise the handwriting recognition feature, lifting
the keymat will reveal a built-in touch pad which allows the easy
entry of both Chinese and Latin characters.

Fun and exciting features of the Nokia 3108 include digital content
comprising themed wallpapers - "Storm Riders (or Feng Yun in
Chinese)" - and animated screensavers which are specially designed by
Ma Wing Shing, a famous Chinese comic artist. Users of the Nokia
3108 can also have hours of enjoyment with the new pre-installed game
called Empire Mahjong. With support for 4096 colours, the Nokia
3108's high resolution colour display (128 x 128 pixels) enhances
calendar entry, phonebook features as well as enriches the use of
MMS, Java applications and games.

The Nokia 3108 can be used with a Nokia Fun Camera, stand-alone VGA
camera with its own viewfinder, flash and power supply, making it
easy for consumers to spontaneously capture moments and experiences
and sharing them with friends and family. With 8 MB of memory, the
Nokia Fun Camera can store up to 50 images and be attached to
compatible Nokia handsets with a Pop-Port(TM) connector. For
consumers who enjoy being entertained and connected on the move, the
Nokia 3108 can also be used with the Nokia Radio Headset where users
can get access to the latest infotainment news.

The Nokia 3108 weighs 93 grams and has a talktime of 2 to 6 hours
hours and a standby time of 150 to 360 hours. The phone is available
in two attractive colour options in the standard sales package - Grey
and White.

About Nokia
A market leader in the cellular industry in Asia Pacific, Nokia
provides innovative, industry leading and market-relevant technology
and products to around 20 diverse markets in the region.

Nokia is the world leader in mobile communications. Backed by its
experience, innovation, user-friendliness and secure solutions, the
company has become the leading supplier of mobile phones and a
leading supplier of mobile, fixed broadband and IP networks. By
adding mobility to the Internet Nokia creates new opportunities for
companies and further enriches the daily lives of people. Nokia is a
broadly held company with listings on six major exchanges.

Services and some features may be dependent on the network and/or SIM
card as well as on the compatibility of the devices used and the
content formats supported.

The Nokia Fun Camera is an optional mobile enhancement and is to be
purchased separately.

http://www.mobilecommerceworld.com/Tmpl/Article.aspx?ID=18241

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/