Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Safety Communications gets new (Motorola)boss (Smart move).

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:04:09 -0500

Posted Nov. 06, 2003
Public Safety Communications gets new (Motorola)boss (Smart move).
By Thomas Rozwadowski

[email-masked]

A former technology director for Motorola Inc. has been appointed the
county’s new director of Public Safety Communications, a position that
was vacated this year after numerous delays in emergency dispatch.

James V. Nickel was selected for the job by Brown County Executive Carol
Kelso, the executive announced Wednesday.

Nickel retired from Motorola in 2001 after 32 years, according to a news
release. During his tenure with the company, he was instrumental in
designing 911 centers, including the Toledo Central Fire Dispatch and
the Hamilton County 911 Central Dispatch in Ohio.

His appointment will be sent to the Brown County Board for confirmation.

Nickel will replace Green Bay police Lt. Paul Ebel, who served as
interim communications director following the resignation of former
director David Tellock in July. Tellock’s departure came after months of
problems earlier this year with the communications department.

Several high-profile incidents at the center included:

• A 14-minute delay in dispatching more fire trucks to a fatal west-side
house fire in July

• A four-hour delay in dispatching police to reports of an abduction in
June

• An eight hour-delay in sending police to a serious motorcycle crash in
mid-May. An ambulance was sent, but police were not notified of the
wreck until the victim’s family called police seeking the location of
the damaged motorcycle.

Green Bay Police Chief Craig Van Schyndle said Wednesday he was looking
forward to Nickel’s arrival and the ongoing improvement of the center.

“Ebel has done an excellent job in revamping the communications center,
and hopefully we’ll have continued progress so it benefits the entire
community,” Van Schyndle said.

Since his retirement, Nickel has served as an adjunct professor of
physics with Triton College in River Grove, Ill. He holds a master’s
degree in business administration and an undergraduate degree in
electrical engineering.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/news/archive/local_13077075.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/