Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Easy Mesh Networking?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:38:55 -0500

Easy Mesh Networking?

Contributed by mmasnick on Mon, Nov 10 2003
PacketHop is supposedly launching their easy mesh networking solution, that is
designed to extend current networks, no matter what wireless technology they
use. The article is woefully short on details as to how it plans to do this, but
I'm sure details will be coming soon enough. There have been a bunch of other
attempts at mesh networking, and every few months another startup comes along.
It's not that the technology doesn't sound useful, but it never seems to get
much traction.

www.techdirt.com
==============================================================================

Start-up aims for instant, easier networks
Last modified: November 9, 2003, 9:00 PM PST
By Richard Shim
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Start-up company PacketHop said it will unveil plans Monday to deliver
software-based mesh networking technology for mobile devices and computers.

The Belmont, Calif.-based company is planning to offer client software and
management tools designed to make it easy and efficient for devices to connect
to one another and existing networks.

"We're focusing on allowing devices to create instant networks and to allow
companies to easily manage those devices on their current networks," PacketHop
Chief Executive Michael Howse said. "This is partly a less-expensive way of
extending the network."

PacketHop's mesh networking software is not dependent on one radio technology
but rather can be used with several.
Mesh networking, also known as multihop networking, is one of a number of
technologies http://news.com.com/2009-1033-982113.html?tag=nl  being developed
to extend the range of current wireless networking technologies. It involves
distributing numerous interconnected access points to boost the bandwidth and
range of a wireless network, making it easier for people to wirelessly access
bandwidth-demanding content, such as streaming audio and video.

PacketHop's technology uses standard Internet Protocol and is expected to work
with off-the-shelf hardware.
The company expects its products to be in trials with customers in the first
quarter of next year.
PacketHop said it has exclusive license and patents from SRI International and
is funded by venture capital firms U.S. Venture Partners and Mayfield. Financial
details were not disclosed.

http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-5104645.html?Tag=techdirt

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/