Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia brings Push-To-Talk to Europe

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:53:03 -0500

Wednesday 12th November 2003

Nokia brings Push-To-Talk to Europe
16:07

The popular US Push-To-Talk service is set to make its way to Europe in the form
of Nokia's 5140 handset.
Nokia will be hoping the Push-To-Talk - the real-time walkie-talkie phone
function - will help it keep its top dog status as it becomes the first handset
maker to bring it to European GSM networks.

The service allows users to send spoken messages to others in their 'group' in
real time by holding down a button, much like the old days of CB radios. It is
already a hit on the US, where it has proven a big boost for the likes of
smaller operators such as Nextel and the US arm of Vodafone. It is even being
used by emergency services as a means of realtime group communication.

Unlike existing Push-To-Talk services, though, it is being implemented as a
voice over IP service, taking advantage of the more efficient bandwidth use that
GPRS and EDGE networks offer.

The 5140 is being marketed as an action phone, with a 'splash resistant' shell,
digital compass, and flashlight. It even comes with a Fitness Coach feature,
stopwatch and FM radio, as well as a VGA camera.

It operates over standard 900/1800/1900MHz frequency spectrum European GSM
networks, substituting the former for 850MHz networks for the US. We should see
it in Europe forthe second quarter of next year, with a full range of Nokia
Push-To-Talk handsets introduced in 2005.

Being the first to (at least the European) market with services such as this
will be important in maintaining Nokia's dominance. As European network
operators have consolidated, the balance of power will increasingly shift
towards them and their growing buying power, opening the door to allow more
rival handset makers make their pitches.

Last weekend the Sunday Telegraph reported a Vodafone executive as having said
the company was considering sourcing its 3G phones from Japanese handset makers,
rather than Nokia. And Orange's Signature range of feature phones includes
handsets from the likes of Handspring. For now, though, Nokia remains the
dominant player.

Matt Whipp

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=49932

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/