Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VoIP -Forum to discuss Voice over Internet Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:44:24 -0500

The Federal Communications Commission announces a Forum to discuss Voice over
Internet Protocol (VoIP) to be held on December 1st, 2003. All FCC Commissioners
will participate. The hearing is open to the public, and seating will be
available on a first-come, first-served basis. The purpose of the Forum is to
gather information concerning advancements, innovations, and regulatory issues
related to VoIP services.

The VoIP Forum will be webcast live and also archived for later viewing. Access
to and additional information concerning the webcast is available at
http://www.fcc.gov/realaudio/

Agenda  

10:30 Welcome 
10:40-11:00 Opening statements by Chairman and Commissioners 
11:00-11:15 Background Presentation by FCC Staff - FCC Precedents regarding
VoIP  

11:15-12:15 Panel I - What is VoIP? (technical and service features and issues)

The first panel will address technical and market issues surrounding VoIP
service. Panelists will be asked to describe the technology and capabilities of
VoIP, and how VoIP can be used to offer end users lower-cost, innovative
services with capabilities previously unavailable in voice communications.
Panelists will address how the FCC might distinguish among the numerous services
employing VoIP, and whether it could feasibly distinguish between VoIP and other
IP-enabled applications facilitating communication (ranging from e-mail to
instant messaging to videoconferencing to interactive online gaming). 

Kevin Werbach, Founder
Supernova Group

Charles H. Giancarlo, SVP & General Manager
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Jeff Pulver, President & CEO
Pulver.com

John Hodulik, Managing Director, Communications Group
UBS

John Billock, COO
Time Warner Cable

12:15 - 1:00 Break 

1:00 - 2:30 Panel II - VoIP and Public Policy

The second panel will address public policy questions raised by VoIP. Panelists
will be asked to address what, if any, regulatory obligations currently imposed
upon traditional circuit-switched voice service providers should be placed upon
VoIP providers and whether from either legal or technical perspectives such
obligations are feasible. Panelists may focus on traditional utility regulatory
issues such as non-discrimination and price regulation as well as social
policies such as access by persons with disabilities, universal service, CALEA,
and E911. 

Michael Gallagher, Acting Assistant Secretary
Department of Commerce

Commissioner Carl Wood
California PUC

Commissioner Charles Davidson
Florida PSC

James Crowe, CEO
Level3

Tom Evslin, CEO
ITXC

Jeffrey Citron, CEO
Vonage

Dr. Gregg Vanderheiden, Rehabilitation Engineering Research Project on
Telecommunications Access
University of Wisconsin

2:30-2:50 Closing statements by Chairman and Commissioners 

For further information please contact Robert Pepper, Chief, Policy Development;
email: [email-masked]
voice: 202-418 2030. Press inquires should be directed to Meribeth McCarrick, at
202-418-0654.

 http://www.fcc.gov/voip/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/