Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Guzman's comment on Sprint PCS PTT experience

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:54:19 -0500

From: Patrick Comack 

Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 10:32 AM

Subject: Guzman's comment on Sprint PCS PTT experience

Sprint PCS (NYSE:PCS)

Rating: Perform In Line (under review)

Target Price: $2

We trialed Sprint's "Ready Link" push-to-talk (PTT) phones that were 
rolled out officially today, but hit the stores yesterday here in 
Miami, Florida.

The bottom line is that our experience with Sprint's PTT was no 
better than our experience with Verizon's PTT. Actually, it seemed 
like the set-up time was longer -- 8 seconds or so.

The intra-call latency is also disappointing at around 5 seconds, 
which makes for an awkward call, similar to the VZ experience.

Hence,

1) Sprint's PTT is NOT better than Verizon's PTT, at least in our 
neck of the woods. We disagree with Sprint and Len Lauer that Ready 
Link is faster than VZ's PTT.

2) The Wall Street Journal also quoted Len Lauer as "acknowledg(ing) 
that the initial connection (set-up time) using Ready Link would be 
slower than Nextel's offering but said connections after that (intra-
call latency) would be comparable with Nextel." As mentioned above, 
the intra-call latency is nowhere near comparable to Nextel's, at 
least down here in Miami.

3) I guess this feedback will not surprise people, because 
investors' expectations for the Sprint PTT product were not high. 
However: 

a) Sprint's PTT is NOT better than VZ's

b) We hope that Len Lauer was misquoted by the WSJ, because to claim 
that Sprint's intra-call latency is similar to Nextel is more than 
misleading.

Hope to see you all tomorrow in Las Vegas for the AT&T Wireless 
Analyst meeting.

Have a great day.

Pat

Patrick J. Comack, CFA, CPA 

Senior Equity Analyst

Telecommunications

Guzman & Company

Member NYSE/NASD/BSE/SIPC

One Guzman Plaza

101 Aragon

Coral Gables, FL 33134

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/