Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel to Deploy (Smoke & Mirrors) Higher Speed Data Technology-WiDEN Designed to Quadruple Packet Data Speeds & Lessen Voice Capacity

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:42:23 -0500

Friday November 14, 3:52 pm ET  

Nextel to Deploy (Smoke & Mirrors) Higher Speed Data Technology
WiDEN Designed to Quadruple Packet Data Speeds & Lessen Voice Capacity

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 14, 2003--Nextel Communications 
Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) announced today that it plans to further 
enhance its nationwide digital iDEN voice and packet data network by 
integrating Motorola's WiDEN higher speed data technology, which is 
designed to quadruple data speeds. Nextel's 2003 investment in the 
WiDEN technology is reflected in the company's existing 2003 capital 
expenditure guidance. 

"Nextel expects to continue its leadership role in delivering mission-
critical wireless data applications to businesses and government 
customers," said Nextel Executive Vice President and Chief Operating 
Officer Tom Kelly. "With a modest investment in WiDEN, we will 
enhance our ability to serve mobile workers who require PDA and PC-
based applications." Under the agreement recently reached with 
Motorola, Nextel expects to deploy the network infrastructure 
equipment and software necessary to operate the WiDEN technology in 
the second half of 2004. 

Kelly added that Nextel continues to evaluate capabilities, customer 
demand and cost efficiencies of broadband technologies. "The 
paramount driver in our decision is whether the technology meets our 
customers' needs and will provide a return on our investment," said 
Kelly. 

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031114/145573_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/