Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Signs Operating Agreements with Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless to Prepare for Efficient Number Porting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:33:58 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031119/195849_1.html
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.

Nextel Signs Operating Agreements with Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless to Prepare for Efficient Number Porting
Wednesday November 19, 5:12 pm ET

RESTON, Va. & BEDMINSTER, N.J. & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov.
19, 2003--Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) and Verizon
Communications today announced the completion of a Service Level
Agreement (SLA) that outlines the processes the carriers will follow
when porting phone numbers after the Federal Communication
Commission's (FCC) Wireless Local Number Portability (WLNP) mandate is
effective on November 24, 2003. Nextel and Verizon Wireless announced
they had also completed an SLA.

The agreements were developed by the carriers to define the port
validation standards and procedures to be followed when customers wish
to switch their landline-to-wireless or wireless-to-landline phone
numbers between Nextel and Verizon, or wireless-to-wireless phone
numbers between Nextel and Verizon Wireless, in the top 100
Metropolitan Statistical Areas after the WLNP deadline.

This agreement represents Verizon Communications second SLA with a
wireless carrier, the first being Verizon Wireless.

About Nextel Communications

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 293
of the top 300 U.S. markets. Through recent market launches, Nextel
and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the U.S.
where approximately 248 million people live or work.

About Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless
communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice
and data network and 36 million customers. Headquartered in
Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon
Communications (NYSE:VZ - News) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE:VOD - News News). Find more
information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com.

About Verizon

A Fortune 10 company, Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ - News) is one of
the world's leading providers of communications services, with
approximately $67 billion in revenues and 221,000 employees. Verizon
companies are the largest providers of wireline and wireless
communications in the United States, with more than 139 million access
line equivalents and 36 million Verizon Wireless customers. Verizon is
the third largest long-distance carrier for U.S. consumers, with
nearly 16 million long-distance lines. The company is also the largest
directory publisher in the world, as measured by directory titles and
circulation. Verizon's international presence includes wireline and
wireless communications operations and investments, primarily in the
Americas and Europe. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.

Contact:

Nextel Communications Inc., Reston
Media:
Karen Lien Miller, 630-875-4014
or
Investors:
Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300
or
Verizon Communications
Mark Marchand, 518-396-1080
or
Verizon Wireless, Bedminster
Jeffrey C. Nelson, 908-306-4824

Source:
Nextel Communications Inc.

Email this story
-
Set
a News Alert

Sponsored
Links

Invest in the Stock Market with REFCO
REFCO delivers specialized equities services for individual investors, institutional clients and fund managers. Flexibility and strong client focus are REFCO service hallmarks. Visit today.
www.refco.com

Stock Investing System for Retirees
Free guide for seniors - learn how to protect your capital and know what makes your portfolio perform, select low risk stocks, get more dividends.
www.marketingtoseniors.net

Stock Information - The Motley Fool
Become a Fool - it's free. Get full access to The Motley Fool take on the market, portfolio-building stock ideas and product discounts along with the FoolWatch Weekly Digest.
www.fool.com
(What's This?)

Related
Quotes

NXTL
VZ

23.24
31.999

+0.15
-0.211

News
News

View Detailed Quotes
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Verizon Wireless Wrote the Program on Customer Satisfaction - PR Newswire (9:29 am)

·

US lawmakers may bolster antitrust role in telecom - Reuters (Wed Nov 19)

·

AT&T Wireless Outsources - Motley Fool (Wed Nov 19)

·

[external] AT&T Wireless Jumps Into Data Arms Race - at Forbes.com (Wed Nov 19)

More...

·

By
industry:
Government, Law, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Jittery Treasuries Keep Safe-Haven Status - Reuters (10:27 am)

·

Citi, Credit Suisse Shut Istanbul Offices - Reuters (10:05 am)

·

Indicators Show Growth Should Continue - Reuters (10:17 am)

·

Stocks Notch Mild Losses; H-P Climbs - Reuters (10:14 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.