Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications system proves challenge for Coast Guard

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:36:54 -0500

November 10, 2003

Communications system proves challenge for Coast Guard
By Greta Wodele, National Journal's
Technology Daily
The Coast Guard is weathering software
glitches in its efforts to roll out a new
modernized communication system by 2006.

"The software, which ties it all together ... has
been a significant challenge for us and the
contractor," said Cmdr. Ed Thiedman,
assistant program manager for the project.
"We have been focusing on immediate issues
at hand ... as we get closer, we will start
talking about full production completion by
2006 and if that is attainable."

In September 2002, the Coast Guard
awarded a contract to General Dynamics
Decision Systems division to develop and
implement a modernized communication
system called Rescue 21. Under the
agreement, two initial Coast Guard locations
were to test with "full functionality" the
software system by September of this year,
according to a General Accounting Office
report issued in late September.

In July, the Coast Guard postponed the
testing due to software problems with
integrating commercial technologies into a
software package that would enhance the
agency's capability to assist and find boaters
in distress, among other activities, said
Thiedman.

He also said while the agency and General Dynamics delayed testing in
September, it had met "all of the milestones" up until then.

However, the GAO reported the agency has been postponing formal
qualification testing and subsequent testing since early 2003, because
General Dynamics "had taken longer than expected to obtain developers
and subcontractors" for Rescue 21 and software development "continues to
take longer than planned."

Rescue 21, which has been in the works since 1997, is to be a
short-range communication system with VHF-FM radios, communication
towers as well as hardware and software at operation centers. The
current system - much of which was installed in the 1970s - has several
critical deficiencies, said GAO, including gaps in radio coverage,
limited direction-finding technology, no digital calling capability,
limited interoperability with other systems and no means to secure
communication.
The new initiative would allow officials to digitally call on enhanced
radio bands, meet interoperability standards to allow communication with
other federal and state officials as well as include direction finding,
tracking and encryption technology.
In its report, GAO warned the agency that Rescue 21 might not work as
specified, because the agency has been compressing and overlapping
schedules for testing the technologies.

"When you overlap and compress testing, there is greater risk that you
will not test the system to the full extent nor do you have time to
resolve defects in software that would be uncovered," GAO's David Powner
said in an interview about the report.
Thiedman said the agency is following GAO's recommendation to establish
a new schedule for testing and is negotiating with General Dynamics on
its timeline. Other factors such as acquiring antenna sites and meeting
environmental laws also may delay the schedule, he said.

The Coast Guard has received $182.4 million for the project through
fiscal 2003, and the projected funding through fiscal 2007 is expected
to reach $569.2 million, according to GAO.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1103/111003tdpm2.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/