Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 900 MHz Emission/Bandwidth

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:27:44 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: "rcwallenb" <[email-masked]>
Subject: 900 MHz Emission/Bandwidth

Part 90 allows 13K6F3E emission on 900 MHz 2-way channels but 
Motorola is telling one of their utility customers that 11K0F3E is 
what they should request on their license applications.

Compression techniques and "anti-flutter" circuits aren't 
incorporated into Motorola's units for no reason so why would they be 
telling the customer to limit their emission/bandwidth?

We're talking about regular FM voice transmission on channels 
separated by 12.5 kHz. We've been licensing and using the 13.6 kHz 
bandwidth for years with no problem with bleed-over from adjacent 
channels.

Any Motorola guys out there that can shed some light on the subject? 
Very unlikely that FCC will ever try and split channels at 900 MHz as 
the mobiles and portables couldn't maintain the required stability. 
Better to mandate a more efficient digital solution to increase 
capacity.

Bob
New Orleans

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:23:48 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Eierman David-CFED01 <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: 900 MHz Emission/Bandwidth

Even though the maximum allowed bandwidth is 13.6 kHz, and this is
commonly
what frequency coordinators place on the license, my recommendation to
Motorola sales people and field engineers is to supply the customer
and/or
the frequency coordinator with the maximum emission designator(s) that
the
equipment is type accepted for based upon each modulation being used. 
Some
of our base stations are type accepted for multiple bandwidths and
modulations and carry more than the 6 emission designators that show on
the
grant.  
 
For narrowband analog @ 900 MHz maximum emission designator would be
11K0F3E, if that is what our Type Certifcation Grant shows.  
 
If we ever want to get to a point where frequency coordinators are
actually
doing both co-channel and adjacent channel frequency coordination based
upon
TSB-88 and terrain based propagation models, then the actual emission
designators should be supplied.  This is more important in the bands
below
800 MHz, than it would be in 800/900 bands where there is exclusivity.  
 
If the customer and/or the frequency coordinator wants to apply for more
bandwidth than they are actually going to use, up to the maximum
allowed,
then that is their prerogative.

Regards, 

David Eierman  
Principal Staff Engineer 
Motorola, CGISS, Spectrum Strategy 
Phone:       410-712-6242 
Email:        [email-masked] 
Fax:            410-712-6208 
Cellular:       443-421-0659

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:40:13 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "rcwallenb" <[email-masked]>
Subject:Re: 900 MHz Emission/Bandwidth

Ron,
I'd make the emission/bandwidth designation akin to the power output 
and possibly also the area of operation of mobile units specified on 
a license. When filing an application it's oftentimes difficult to 
know in adance how many mobiles and portables will ultimately be used 
in a system and what wattage they will be rated at over the course of 
the 10 year term of a license.

In reality, I'd say that most applicants over-specify the numbers of 
mobiles/portables and area of operation so as to preclude repeated 
relicensing. I'm not saying that this totally conforms with the 
spirit and intent of the commission's rules but if it's done in a 
reasonable manner I don't see the harm in it.

In past dealings with the local FCC enforcement office, their primary 
concern when they inspect a system is to assure that its useage does 
not exceed the parameters granted by the license. Power output/ERP 
and fixed station antenna heights are two readily checked items and 
FM modulation is also another easily measured parameter. I've had 
customers receive violation notices for exceeding their authorized 
deviation especially when the commission used to list this in their 
rules.

To my thinking it would be over-burdensome to deal with the minutia 
of listing the power output of each unit or group of units and carry 
this same concept over to the licensed emmission. If it's certain 
that no units in a system will operate at other than the lesser 
bandwidth then it would be appropriate to license it that way. But if 
it's unknown as to whether other units type-accepted for the maximum 
permissible emission/bandwidth may subsequently be utilized in the 
system, I'd personally request the maximum allowed.

Specifically regarding 900 MHz, Nextel has proposed to use their iDEN 
digital technology in this band even if they are successful in 
rebanding 800 MHz and getting their requested chunk of 1.9 GHz 
spectrum. Their use is only for a "temporary" period of 3 to 4 years 
to accommodate the 800 rebanding. In a matter of months they could 
wreak as much havoc in the 900 band as they have at 800 especially 
since their cell site locations are already in place. When you 
compare the bandwidth typically used by an analog transmitter vs. an 
iDEN signal, the slight defference between 11K0F3E emmission and 
13K6F3E is minute so I suppose that this discussion can be rendered 
moot.

Just my opinion.

Bob
New Orleans  

---  "Ron Haraseth" 
<harasethr@a...> wrote:
> Then they may need multiple emissions on their license to be fully
> legal.
> 
> Ron
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: dave [mailto:rufnredy@a...] 
> Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 10:10 AM
> Subject: Re: 900 MHz Emission/Bandwidth
> 
> 
> I agree in principle, as long as using one vendor's type accepted
> emission 
> designator for the license application does not rule out use of 
another 
> vendor's equipment that may or may not meet the same emission
> parameters.
> 
> dave