Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More On Exploding Phones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 08:17:00 -0500

More On Exploding Phones
 Contributed by derek on Thurs, Nov 6 2003

Mike has been critical of Nokia's attitude after some of their phones
exploded, and I defended Nokia saying it was likely a case of the
customer adding a cheap, aftermarket battery which caused the heat-up. I
turns out we were both right: Nokia should have reacted with more
concern, but it does appear to be the fault of cheap aftermarket
batteries that Nokia that phones are exploding. With that finding,
Nokia's reaction is to counsel the market to only buy "original Nokia
parts from an authorized or reputable dealer." Hmmm... given that profit
margins on accessories and parts are always higher than standard
equipment, the whole "exploding phone" issue, although not a child of
Nokia's creation, is entirely beneficial for them. Have you seen all the
stickers and inserts and nonsense that HP puts on printers suggesting
catastrophic outcomes if you should use non HP ink, or... heaven
forbid...try to refill a cartridge? They've been trying to convince us
our printers would explode because of non-HP ink for years. Yep, what
big businesses really needs is more exploding cheap parts to drive
customers back to good old OEM products.

www.techdirt.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/