Subject: [NEXTEL-1] HSARPA Issues Solicitation Seeking Research Proposals from Small Businesses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:42:25 -0500

HSARPA Issues Solicitation Seeking Research Proposals from Small Businesses

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
November 14, 2003

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Science and Technology division
announced today the release of a Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)
Program Solicitation by the Homeland Security Advanced Research Projects
Agency (HSARPA).  The notice, which is available at
http://www.fedbizopps.gov and the DHS web site: http://www.dhs.gov, invites
small businesses to submit innovative research proposals that address high
priority technology areas of the Department.

"In addition to acting as the driving force of our nation's economy, small
businesses are leaders in developing new and unique technologies," said Dr.
Charles McQueary, Under Secretary for Science and Technology.  "Through the
SBIR Program we will introduce HSARPA to small businesses and invite them to
be a part of our team."

Through this solicitation HSARPA is seeking proposals for the following
research and development topics:

-- New system/technologies to detect low vapor pressure chemicals

-- Chem-bio sensors employing novel receptor scaffold

-- Advanced low cost aerosol collectors for surveillance sensors and
personal monitoring

-- Computer modeling tool for vulnerability assessment of U.S.
infrastructure

-- Marine asset tag tracking system

-- AIS tracking and collision avoidance equipment for small boats

-- Ship compartment inspection device

-- Advanced secure supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) and
related distributed control systems

Participation in the HSARPA SBIR Program is restricted to for-profit small
businesses in the United States with 500 or fewer employees, including all
affiliated firms.

Interested small firms will apply first for a six-month Phase I award not to
exceed $100,000, to define the scientific, technical, and commercial merit
of a particular concept.  Firms, whose concepts prove successful in Phase I,
may be invited to apply for a two-year Phase II award not to exceed $750,000
to further develop the concept, usually to the prototype stage.

"Our goal with the SBIR program is to benefit from the nation's small
businesses in the research and development arena, a critical source of
innovation," said Kevin Boshears, Director, of the Department of Homeland
Security's Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization. "Like our
small business procurement program, the SBIR program makes small business
participation part of the Department's culture in support of our national
mission."

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Science and Technology division
serves as the primary research and development arm of the Department,
utilizing our nation's scientific and technological resources to provide
federal, state and local officials with the technology and capabilities to
protect the homeland.  HSARPA is the external research funding arm for the
Department of Homeland Security.  This agency within Science and Technology
is expected to develop revolutionary changes in technologies that support
homeland security, to advance those technologies which are "critical," and
to "accelerate the prototyping and deployment of technologies" that reduce
homeland vulnerabilities.

 http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?content=2225

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/