Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "The most technologically advanced disaster-response unit ever created."

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:02:26 -0500

Oshkosh’s Pierce Security Vehicle Ranked in top 100 Technological Innovations
for 2003

Mike Klein, 11/12/03

OSHKOSH, WI. – A Wisconsin Company
that manufactures a state-of-the-art
homeland security vehicle has its
product named one of the top 100
technological innovations of 2003 by
Popular Science magazine. The
magazine's 16th Annual Best of What's
New Awards honored Oshkosh Truck
Corporation’s Pierce Manufacturing
subsidiary with one of five awards in the
Engineering category, describing the
new command-and-communications
vehicle as "the most technologically
advanced disaster-response unit ever created."

The Pierce Mobile Command Post is manufactured in Appleton, WI, and Burlington,
WI. Also recognized in the Engineering category where the 267 mile-per-hour
Shanghai Transrapid maglev train and the 58-story Torre Mayor earthquake-proof
skyscraper in Mexico City.  All one hundred of this year's award winners are
recognized in the December issue of Popular Science.

The Pierce Mobile Command Post is designed to help fire; police, military and
emergency management personnel mount an effective, coordinated and sustained
response to acts of terrorism and natural disasters. The vehicle acts as a
self-contained communications center, which can coordinate communications
between various responding agencies at an incident. It has its own modular
telephone switching system, and a JPS radio/telephone interface unit that allows
UHF - VHF communications. The system also features cellular, landline and
satellite phone interoperability so command personnel can communicate with all
other responders and agencies in real time.

The entire vehicle is also outfitted with a state-of-the-art Draeger vehicle
filter system that creates a positive pressure inside the vehicle and uses a
variety of filters to cleanse the air of contaminants, including chemical
warfare agents, anthrax and tear gas. Recent purchasers of the Pierce Mobile
Command Posts include Las Vegas Fire Rescue and the police department of
Honolulu.

Pierce Manufacturing Inc., a subsidiary of Oshkosh Truck Corporation is a
manufacturer of custom fire apparatus and homeland security vehicles in North
America. Among the company's other homeland security vehicles are specialized
HAZMAT and bomb response units, urban search and rescue vehicles and
decontamination trucks.

"It is an incredible honor for Pierce to be recognized in this way," said Robert
G. Bohn, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Oshkosh. "Our
engineers and designers have created an important new tool for fire, emergency,
military and law enforcement personnel. The technology in this vehicle will
enable those first responders to acts of terrorism and major natural disasters
to mitigate the effects of these events and save lives. It is technology put to
its highest use."

http://www.wistechnology.com/article.php?id=345

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/