Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Off Topic... Nextel Network Status (again...)]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:06:12 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Hardik Patel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Off Topic... Nextel Network Status (again...)

if private ip meaning 'routable ip'(available for $3), we have both kind
of
phones in midwest and west as well as northeast but almost all of them
are
having problem right now. i haven't tried to call Nextel for answer but
i
was sure that its 'Nextel' since their 'Mobile Application Manager' site
is
also down !!

~hp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Bob Colbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:22:23 -0500

And here, I thought it was just our phones! Glad it isn't just a local
problem.

Bob Colbert,
Seminole County Sheriff's Office
Sanford, FL

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Friday, November 07, 2003 11:06 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[NEXTEL-1] Re: Off Topic... Nextel Network Status (again...)]

-------- Original Message --------
From: Hardik Patel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Off Topic... Nextel Network Status (again...)

~hp

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:48:34 -0000

I just received a message from  Nextel management (also a Nxtl-1 member)  who apologized  vigorously  and said the problem will be 
resolved no later than 12:30PM EST.

We shall see-

--- In [email-masked], "Bob Colbert" <bcolbert@u...> wrote:
> From: 	Marcelrf@B... [mailto:Marcelrf@B...]
> From: Hardik Patel <hardikp@G...>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:05:35 -0500

Units in the field report service is back up.

Not bad nextel-

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:19:16 -0800

Can anyone quantify how many handsets and what areas were effected and
how long they were without service in this outage?

I think these are the kinds of incidents public safety administrators
need to consider when gauging commercaal service providers for public
safety appcications.

I was told by a Nextel salesman 22 sites in the East LA area went down
during the S. Cal fires. Some were restored within 4 hours and most
restored in 14 hours after they had access (in other words the fire had
passed the cell site). COWS were used as well as unlicensed band T1's to
link the temporary fixes into the network. However interference on the
links are still causing several sites to give intermittent, unpredicable
service.  In celluar provider terms, they did an excellent job. In
public safety terms a four hour failure of communications during an
incident is catastrophic.

Maybe we should set uo a way to report commercial service outages
(cellular and Nextel), any related cause and the time elapsed to restore
service. No handset dead battery reports please, but real infrastucture
situations.

Jack Daniel
=========================

[email-masked] wrote:
> > I just received a message from  Nextel management (also a Nxtl-1
> member)  who apologized  vigorously  and said the problem will be
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
>                         [click here]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:18:29 -0500

I have been collecting data on the latest incident. Public safety users in Fl
report service was restored around 1 pm others users report much later.

Nextel reported all normal at 4:52PM
From:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rincon, Juan Felipe" <[email-masked]>
4:52 PM

Subject:
Re: Off Topic... Nextel Network Status (again...)
Hello all,

I just received confirmation from our support center that private IP plans
should be fully operational again.  Therewas a problem with the private IP
address authentication system that was resolved between 2 and 3 EST.

If you encounter network difficulties with packet data service on your
applications and want to make sure that the right parties at Nextel know
about it, please make sure you contact Nextel Care, let them know that you
are asking about packet data service interruptions, and they will either
relay you to second-tier network support or give you an estimated time to
resolution if one has been published.

Thanks much for your patience.

Juan Felipe Rincón
Manager, Nextel Developer Program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Documenting Nextel's Network
Performance.

Documenting Nextel's Network Performance.

Several local governments have been approached by
Nextel to Supplement and or Replace their
communication systems with Nextel products. Since
Nextel-1 has the largest Nextel database (outside of
Nextel) I have been asked to assist in documenting
Nextel's network performance by several local
governments.

The local governments are most interested on how Nextel
performs during emergencies. The local governments have
asked for factual, accurate, verifiable documented
information on Nextel's past and current network
performance.

If you have specific information pertaining to Nextel's
network performance or any questions please send it to
[email-masked] if you require confidentiality
please advise in the body of the report. Once the data
collection is complete I will publish a report in "POE"
(Plain Old English) detailing the findings. If any group is
interested in collaborating on this effort please let me
know.

Marcel-

[email-masked]

http://members.fortunecity.com/marcelrf/