Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications Knockout

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:19:32 -0500

Communications Knockout

By Alex Cabrero
11/08/2003

Someone stole the communications repeater to the Greenbrier Fire Department

If your house was on fire in Greenbrier, there was a chance firefighters
might not show up.

That's how it was for at least one night during the last week of October.

Someone stole the communications repeater to the Greenbrier Volunteer Fire
Department... meaning if dispatchers had to page firefighters at home that
there was trouble.... the signal never would have got through.

"I was shocked," said fire chief Jack Woodard, "I can't believe somebody
would do this to us."

Greenbrier is a small town in Robertson County. The fire department is
mostly made up of volunteers who rely on their pagers while at home to alert
them of a fire or medical emergency.

The city is offering a $1000 reward for information that leads to an arrest.

"Based on our investigation, it looks like whoever did this went under a
fence and broke into the building," said Greenbrier police Detective Jeff
Pennington.

For now, the fire department is using the counties EMS communications system
for fire coverage. Eventually, though, they'll have to replace the repeater
system... which costs about $10,000.

Firefighters found out about the problem on Wednesday, October 29th. Only
two people showed up for a medical emergency. They were the only two people
who still used older pagers linked to a different communications signal.

Chief Woodard knew something was wrong when he received a phone call late
that night, "My pager was next to the bed and it never went off."

Detective Pennington thinks the repeater was stolen between Tuesday, October
28th and Wednesday October 29th. He also has no idea who would take one,
"Someone would probably have to have a specific use for it. There's really
nothing else it can be used for."

Detective Pennington can be reached at the Greenbrier Police Department at
615-643-4467.

 http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/2704.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:46:47 -0500

Here is another example why site alarms are so important. The fiasco last week
where Nextel disassembled and removed a complete station (in violation of
Federal Law), just highlights the need for high security. The FCC has been
notified and we will see what happens.

Many carriers just protect their equipment and not the building it is contained
in, since many times it is provided by the tower leasing company.

The poor Volley below obviously have limited resources but a simple alarm Class
"A"  (Supervised) Burglar Alarm could have saved their equipment.