Subject: [NEXTEL-1] N.C. Man First In Nation Convicted Of Wireless Crime

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:18:48 -0500

North Carolina Man Pleads Guilty to Wireless Crime

A North Carolina man was convicted on Tuesday of the first ever wireless
Internet-related crime in the United States. As the technology becomes
more familiar to users across the globe, so does the ability for hackers
to take advantage of other peoples' privacy. The 29-year old man pleaded
guilty to hacking into more than 2,000 patient records through the
wireless Internet in his effort to prove a point that confidential
medical records are vulnerable to computer hackers like himself. The
network that was broken into has since been secured.

=======================================================================================

N.C. Man First In Nation Convicted Of Wireless Crime
Man Pleads Guilty To Hacking Into Patient Files

POSTED: 11:01 a.m. EST November 5, 2003

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Wireless Internet is becoming more and more popular,
and with it come new ways for criminals to take advantage of others.

The first conviction in the nation for wireless cyber crimes came down
in North Carolina Tuesday.
Clayton Dillard, 29, of Holly Springs, pleaded guilty to hacking into
patient records at Wake Internal Medicine Consultants.
Dillard said he broke the law to prove a point that confidential medical
records are vulnerable to computer hackers.
Police said Dillard crossed the line by hacking into more than 2,000
patient files.

"No matter what your intentions are, there is a point that experiment
and research stops and criminal activities start," said Patrick Nieman
of the Raleigh Police Department.

Police said Dillard used a laptop to break into computers. They said
Dillard's guilty plea marks the first time anyone in the United States
has been convicted of the crime.

"Moral relativism has no place in this. He violated the law," Nieman
said.

On Sept. 9, Wake Internal Medicine Executive Director Steve Lauhoff told
WRAL-TV the network is now protected.
"We made the correction and our network, I can say with confidence, is
to the highest industry standard right now."
Dillard was sentenced to 18 months probation and ordered to pay $10,000
in fines.

http://www.channel3000.com/technology/2613265/detail.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/