Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireline Carriers Seize On LNP Procedural Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:08:59 -0500

Wireline Carriers Seize On LNP Procedural Issues
By Mark Rockwell

WASHINGTON -- Wireline carriers late yesterday asked the FCC to put
off Monday's local number portability deadline because they said the
agency was sloppy in assembling wireline-to-wireless LNP rules and
those rules put wireline carriers at a competitive disadvantage.

The United States Telecom Association filed a request at the
commission asking the agency to resolve the competitive and procedural
issues before Thursday, Nov. 20, or it would take the matter to court.

The request comes at the 11th hour for LNP implementation. FCC
Chairman Michael Powell and lawmakers are spending this week
trumpeting the upcoming deadline as a victory for consumers. Earlier
this week, wireline carrier sources said some sort of appeal or legal
action was imminent, although there seemed to be some indecision as to
what effect the political fallout of such a move would have. In recent
weeks, several lawmakers on Capitol Hill reportedly backed away from
adding amendments to legislation delaying LNP because the issue was
deemed to be too controversial and potentially damaging as the
deadline approached.

USTA spokeswoman Allison Remson said the stay request was asking for
clarification that would make LNP more effective for consumers. Some
wireless carriers were derisive of the filing. "Let's just get on with
it," said Verizon Wireless spokesman Jeffrey Nelson. Verizon
Communications and Verizon Wireless have been aggressive in their
support of LNP in the last few months, seeing a competitive
opportunity to gather customers fleeing other carriers.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/