Subject: [NEXTEL-1] County in line for anti-terrorism dollars 11/4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:23:34 -0500

County in line for anti-terrorism dollars 11/4
By TODD HARPER

For The Lebanon Reporter
LEBANON -- Boone County should expect to get as much as $500,000 through
a terrorism grant.
Boone County Emergency Management Agency Director Mike Martin told the
Boone County Commissioners, Monday, the grant, which is part of Project
Hoosier SAFE-T, is an initiative of Indiana's local, state and federal
public safety agencies to implement a statewide 800 MHz voice and data
communications system.

He said the grant will help benefit the Boone County Sheriff's
Department. The department recently received approval for a 257-foot
wireless communication tower at the jail.

"The one good thing is there is no matching. It is plain cash," Martin
said, adding it will take about $3.1 million for the entire project.
Martin said the grant can only be used for the implementation the
statewide 800 MHz voice and data communications system. The system is
expected to significantly improve communications capabilities among
public safety agencies.
Commissioner Jo Baldauf said it is important that there is a "clear
paper trail on file" for the grant. The commissioners signed the grant
earlier in the year.

Martin said the county should know how much it will received by Dec. 19.

In other news:  Tax bills should arrive in Boone County mailboxes by the
middle of this month with payments due by the first week of December.
Delays caused by a court-ordered change in the way Indiana computes
property tax bills have contributed to the uncertainty on exactly when
Boone County property taxes will be mailed.

Boone County Treasurer Mary Alice "Sam" Baldwin updated the county
commissioners on the change in the time table for tax payments. Last
month, county officials hope to have tax bills mailed by the end of
October and payments due before Thanksgiving, but Baldwin said some
things still need to be finished such as the printing of tax envelopes
before bills can be mailed.

"This (time table) has been based on hope and maybe," she explained. She
said any suggestion that the delay was due for political reasons is
completely false. She said this year's elections are municipal and not
county elections and thus has no baring on assessment. Baldwin said
people who would like to have additional information on their property
taxes can call the treasurer's office at (765) 482-2880. County tax
rates were published in the newspaper last month.

 Boone County Commissioner Betty Lee Cooper was named as a common wage
appointee to the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Library's building project.
The library will begin an estimated $6.1 million expansion project in
the spring 2004.
 The commissioners decided to hold off on a vote to add an additional
appropriation for legal services. Baldauf said she did not want to
review the matter now, but said the board may have to revisit the issue.

 The board agreed to pay Montgomery County $860 for change of venue fees
on court cases up to a decade old. The fees span a period from 1991 to
May 2003. The commissioners agreed to write a letter to Montgomery
County officials informing them that while they will pay it, "don't do
it again, Baldauf explained.

Boone County Assessor Debbie Ottinger said Montgomery County should not
have billed for cases that old.
"It should be billed immediately. On a case by case basis," she said.
The commissioners approved a $300 re-appropriation to pay the bill.

http://www.reporter.net/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=15920?lr_story

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/