Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEWS ALERT -- Carriers Switch On LNP In Metro Markets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:33:03 -0500

=====================================================================
Wireless Week
Breaking News Alert
November 24, 2003
=====================================================================

Carriers Switch On LNP In Metro Markets
By Mark Rockwell

WASHINGTON--Last week’s last-minute combat over local number
portability didn’t derail the local number portability freight train
as it headed down the tracks this morning, but problems could pop up
down the line.

Verizon Wireless reports it started porting at 7 Eastern time this
morning. “In the eastern U.S., we're seeing roughly four times the
normal volume of customers at our stores,” said Jeffrey Nelson,
Verizon Wireless spokesman. However, he declined to provide specific
numbers or what types of porting activity the additional customers
were asking for. “If this continues, this will be a good day for
Verizon Wireless,” he added.

A BellSouth spokesman said the company is porting wireline-to-wireless
numbers this morning, as did a Verizon Communications spokesman. Both
declined to give specific numbers on how many wireline-to-wireless
porting requests they received today, but the Verizon spokesman said
the company is closely monitoring the number of ports to see where the
greatest demand arises.

Late Friday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Circuit rejected the United States Telecom Association’s request for
an emergency stay “by Monday’s deadline,” but agreed to hear its
arguments. The decision “a double-edged sword,” said Brad Ramsay,
general counsel at the National Association of Regulatory Utility
Commissioners. While the ruling didn’t derail wireline-to-wireless
LNP, it did set up an avenue for the court to hear wireline carriers’
arguments in the coming weeks.

The court said the FCC must file a response to the USTA arguments by 4
p.m. Wednesday. Almost a week later, by Tuesday, Dec. 2, USTA and
CenturyTel have to file their replies. CenturyTel filed in conjunction
with USTA on the stay request.

The fact the court agreed to hear USTA's arguments could mean a delay
or suspension in a few weeks, but that’s unlikely given one of the
largest wireline carriers, Verizon Communications, backs LNP, say
industry observers.

“We are pleased to have the opportunity to demonstrate to the court
how the commission’s action will unfairly limit the choices available
to consumers and distort competition among telecommunications service
providers,” said USTA CEO and President Walter Nelson in a statement
following the court’s decision late Friday.

=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/