Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Japan, China To Jointly Test 4G Mobile Phone -Kyodo

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:49:00 -0500

Dow Jones Business News
Japan, China To Jointly Test 4G Mobile Phone -Kyodo
Sunday November 23, 3:40 am ET 

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Japan and China are planning to conduct a 
joint experiment on a new generation Internet-capable mobile phone 
for high-speed data communication between the two countries, Kyodo 
news service reported Sunday, citing Japanese telecom ministry 
officials.

The three-year project aimed at promoting better Asian information 
technology systems will begin in December and use the Internet 
Protocol Version 6, or IPv6, Kyodo also quoted the officials as 
saying.

The officials of the Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and 
Telecommunications Ministry said the IT experiment will test a 
fourth-generation mobile phone capable of data communication 
comparable to speeds using fiber- optic cables, the agency reported.

Under the program, the two countries will experiment on sending and 
receiving Internet data via the mobile phone at speeds of up to 100 
megabits per second, much faster than the third-generation phones 
with speeds of up to 2.4 megabits per second, Kyodo said.

The article noted that the move is already prompting activities in 
the Japanese private sector, such as NTT DoCoMo Inc. (NYSE:DCM - 
News) opening an office in Beijing in a likely attempt to prepare to 
explore the future potential of the Chinese market in the field.

The project will involve testing the mobile phone for capabilities 
such as creating data content on Chinese cities, building a database 
on Chinese businesses and facilitating intercultural communication 
using the technology of translating between the Japanese and Chinese 
languages, the officials said.

Kyodo also reported the officials as saying that Japan, which has a 
lead over North American and European countries in terms of IPv6-
related technology, is hoping to make the technology a global norm.

A number of universities and private-sector companies will take part 
starting from the initial stages of the project, including Kyoto 
University and Fujitsu Ltd. from Japan and Beijing University from 
China, they said.

A senior ministry official expressed hope the experiment would lead 
to an expansion of IT-related business opportunities between Japan 
and China, Kyodo reported. The two countries agreed in April to 
cooperate in the area of IT. 
----------------------

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/