Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FW: Consensus Plan Newsletter v3

From: "Harry Ekelund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:35:01 -0800

Consensus Newsletter v3The Latest from:

                  Project Consensus

                  Greetings,

                  Experts Weigh in on Benefits of Consensus Plan at FCC
                  Public Safety’s Voice Must be Heard Above Those of the
‘Special Interests’ in Washington if 800 MHz Interference is to be Solved

                        Project Consensus wants to update you on some
important new developments in the FCC Docket.

                        On Thursday, two separate reports were submitted to
the FCC that further reinforce the Consensus Plan as the solution to solving
the 800 MHz interference problem.

                              Research Reports:
                                a.. Research Report by Dr. Kostas Liopiros
                                b.. Research Report by Dr. Gregory L.
Rosston

                        The reports, authored by two independent and
respected wireless industry experts, recognize that the Consensus Plan can
best be judged according to the public benefit it provides. These reports
show that arguments about the value of spectrum are mere distractions from
the real value of the Consensus Plan – allowing those on the front lines to
do their jobs better and more efficiently.

                        They also make clear that the FCC should consider
this as they make their very important decision.

                              The United States sustains well over $1
trillion a year in economic losses from crime and fires.  This represents a
per capita total of more than $4,000 per year.  The Consensus Plan could
reduce this annual loss by remedying 800 MHz interference and providing
additional public safety spectrum”

                        The FCC is coming closer to rendering a decision on
the Consensus Plan. As they consider their choice, it’s important that the
voice of public safety is heard above those of the special interests who are
making an all-out effort to block this proactive solution to interference.
Only through your letters of support can we let the FCC know the full
measure of consensus that is actually behind the Consensus Plan.

                        Please visit projectconsensus.org and register your
support today!
                         Ways to Get Involved:
                                1.. Sign the Consensus Plan Petition
                                2.. Send a letter to Washington
                                3.. Write an opinion piece for your local
newspaper. Interested? E-mail us and we can help you:
[email-masked]

                              Highlights from Dr. Kostas Liopiros:
                              "The substantial recurring public benefits of
the Consensus Plan far outweigh its one-time implementation costs."

                              "Attempting to definitively estimate the
relative values of the spectrum swaps necessary to effectuate the Consensus
Plan, however, essentially misses the whole point. The valuation arguments
of Nextel’s competitors are a trap intended to misdirect the Commission’s
focus, rather than on solving the very real and very urgent problems facing
public safety communicators."

                              Highlights from Dr. Gregory L. Rosston:
                              "The Consensus Plan embodies the heart of the
[FCC’s 2002 Spectrum Policy Task Force Report – designed, in part, to deal
with future uses of radio spectrum]"

                              Regarding the ineffectiveness of alternate
approaches:

                              "[Best practices] generally provides
short-term mitigation or interference management options... it does not
correct the spectrum adjacencies and interleaving of different services that
underlie this problem. Moreover, since the adoption of the Best Practices
Guide, interference has continued to occur at an increasing rate... In
addition, it is important to note that implementing "Best Practices" is not
free – there are real and significant costs."

                  Questions? Comments? Get in touch with us at
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------

                  Visit the web address below to tell your friends about
this.
                   Tell-a-friend!

                  If you received this message from a friend, you can sign
up for Consensus Plan Supporters.

                  If you would like to unsubscribe from Consensus Plan
Supporters, or update your account settings, please click here or respond to
this email with "REMOVE" as the subject line.