Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Internet Spectrum Increased, Favors Rural Health Care Providers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:20:12 -0500

Wireless Internet Spectrum Increased, Favors Rural Health Care Providers

In two separate announcements on Thursday, the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC) said it is expanding radio spectrum dedicated to wireless Internet users
and that it will now be easier for rural health care providers to tap into
federal funds to subsidize Internet connections. The FCC's spectrum-related
announcement will ultimately help bring broadband connections to rural areas by
increasing the number of frequencies in the 5 GHz range on which wireless
Internet devices can transmit signals. In related news, Microsoft Corp.
commended the commission for its prompt adoption of the new rules.

=====================================================================

FCC Expands Frequencies for Wireless Net
Thu Nov 13, 6:27 PM ET

By JONATHAN D. SALANT, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON - Regulators said Thursday they would help bring high-speed Internet
connections to rural areas by expanding the spectrum of frequencies for wireless
(news - web sites) devices that do not require modems and phone jacks. Consumer
groups were skeptical.

The Federal Communications Commission
(news - web sites) said the action would
mean an 80 percent boost in the amount of
spectrum that these wireless networks could
use to connect computers and other
electronic devices to the Internet.

"Wireless broadband is increasingly a reality
in the marketplace," FCC (news - web sites)
Chairman Michael Powell said.

The Media Access Project said the new frequencies are not powerful enough to
handle long-range broadband connections through lightly populated rural areas.
Harold Feld, associate director of the watchdog group, said the frequencies
instead will be used by "WiFi" providers, which allow users in a small area to
access the Internet with wireless connections.
"This works great for short-range, low-power WiFi connections that don't need to
go through walls or trees," said Feld, calling on the government instead to open
up lower frequency bands for wireless providers.

The new frequencies are in the 5 gigahertz range on the radio spectrum, much
higher than the frequencies used by commercial radio and television stations.
The move was supported by such high-technology heavyweights as Microsoft Corp.
and Intel Corp.

Intel's communications policy director, Peter Pitsch, agreed that the new
spectrum will, among other things, help wireless providers bring high-speed
Internet connections to rural areas. "That's another advantage of the
allocation," he said.
The Pentagon (news - web sites) initially opposed efforts to open the spectrum
to wireless Internet connections, concerned that would interfere with military
radar. But the Defense Department dropped its objections after manufacturers of
wireless devices agreed to include technology to detect and avoid interfering
with radar operating on similar frequencies.
Ed Thomas, the FCC's chief engineer, said the commission also was looking at
opening up lower frequencies for wireless Internet connections. But higher
frequencies are already being used by some companies to provide high-speed
connections to rural areas, he said.

"There are a lot of wireless Internet providers using the additional spectrum we
are making available," he said.
At Thursday's meeting, the FCC also:

_Voted to make it easier for rural health care providers to tap into federal
funds to subsidize Internet connections. FCC rules allow rural hospitals and
other providers to obtain telecommunications services at the same price charged
in urban areas, with the government picking up the difference. The high-speed
connections allow rural hospitals to obtain diagnoses and other medical
assistance from better-equipped medical facilities in more populated areas.
_Expanded the list of phone services required to provide enhanced 911 service,
in which the location of a caller is automatically displayed at the center that
receives the call. Those who need to install the new technology include
satellite phone service providers, in-vehicle communications services where a
motorist can make an emergency call, and makers of disposable wireless phones.

On the Net:
Federal Communications Commission: http://www.fcc.gov
Media Access Project: http://www.mediaaccess.org

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1293&e=1&u=/ap/20031113/ap_on_hi_te/fcc_wireless_internet&sid=95573418

=============================================================================

Microsoft Applauds FCC's Prompt Allocation of Spectrum
for Wireless LANs
New 5GHz Rules Will Fuel Wi-Fi Proliferation and
Innovation

REDMOND, Wash. -- Nov. 13, 2003 -- Microsoft Corp.  voiced strong support for
today's Federal Communications Commission decision to allocate and establish
usage rules for segments of the 5GHz spectrum that can be used for wireless
broadband technologies. The FCC action implements recommendations announced
earlier this year by the International Telecommunication Union's World
Radiocommunication Conference (WRC) in Geneva.

The WRC's July recommendation allocated two large bands of spectrum within the
5GHz range -- 5.15--5.35 GHz and 5.47--5.725 GHz -- for wireless applications.
The WRC decision, while not binding, serves as a guideline for individual
nations to implement matching spectrum allocations for their own markets. The
FCC is the first regulatory agency worldwide to adopt the WRC framework.

"We commend the FCC for its prompt adoption of new rules for the 5GHz spectrum,"
said Craig Mundie, senior vice president and CTO of advanced strategies and
policy at Microsoft. "Coming only four months after the World Radiocommunication
Conference harmonized this spectrum globally, the FCC's action reflects the
potential for Wi-Fi and other radio LAN technologies to deliver broadband
communications in geographies where broadband is currently unavailable, and will
encourage the development of ever-more innovative products and services for
businesses and consumers."

Mundie added that the FCC's rules have the added benefit of helping ensure that
new radio technology will be able to use the 5GHz spectrum efficiently while
avoiding interference with existing users of the spectrum, such as radar
operators.  Moreover, by making this spectrum available on an unlicensed basis,
the FCC has ensured a continual flow of innovative, low-power and
interference-resistant broadband technologies such as Wi-Fi. "Everyone wins in
this decision," Mundie said.  "Existing government users, consumers, hardware
and software companies, and service providers."

The U.S. government and industry leaders worked very closely with each other
earlier in the year, and later with worldwide regulators, to establish a
consensus on the global allocation of 5GHz spectrum, and those collective
efforts made it possible for the FCC to move very quickly in adopting its
framework for the United States, Mundie added. "The pace of innovation around
wireless broadband communications is very fast, and it's very gratifying to see
a swift response from the FCC."

The IT community as a whole supports global harmonization of the 5GHz spectrum
and use of it for unlicensed broadband applications. A white paper on the topic
from the Information Technology Industry Council can be found at
http://www.itic.org/policy/2003/trc03059.pdf.

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software,
services and Internet technologies for personal and business computing. The
company offers a wide range of products and services designed to empower people
through great software -- any time, any place and on any device.

Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corp. in the United States
and/or other countries.
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the
trademarks of their respective owners.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/nov03/11-13FCCSpectrumRulePR.asp

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/