Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Zeglis: Interoperability, Spectrum Key To Wireless Future

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:49:23 -0500

Zeglis: Interoperability, Spectrum Key To Wireless Future
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
NOVEMBER 19, 2003

LAS VEGAS -- Additional spectrum and carrier interoperability are necessary to
take the wireless industry to its next stage of growth, AT&T Wireless CEO John
Zeglis said during a Tuesday afternoon keynote speech at Comdex.

Tracing the industry's progress since 2000 -- the last time he delivered a
Comdex keynote -- Zeglis said wireless has advanced from "over-the-top hype" to
fulfilling its initial vision of "anytime, anywhere" communication.

Still, the early hype cost the industry some credibility. "We went from being
hotter than anything to ho-hum and even worse. The gasps of amazement turned to
groans of disappointment," Zeglis recalled.
Carriers have done their share in boosting U.S. wireless penetration and
doubling the number of customers over the past three years. During that same
period, handsets have evolved from clunky bricks with rudimentary CDPD-enabled
Web access and top speeds of 19.2 kilobits per second to miniature marvels with
color screens, text messaging capability, built-in cameras and capability of
100-130 kbps speeds.

"There's a lot more to come," Zeglis promised the audience, adding that he
foresees higher penetration levels, cheaper service and more widespread use of
voice activation and wireless messaging technology.
But if the industry is to live up to its full potential, he warned, carriers
will need to champion interoperability for such features as push-to-talk,
picture-sharing and short codes for text messaging. "It is insane to drag our
feet on this point. This is the golden goose," he said. "It's a group game and a
team sport, as it has to be to grasp an opportunity this large."

Zeglis also repeated the familiar refrain that the FCC needs to allocate more
spectrum for wireless. With only 200 MHz earmarked for cellular service, the
United States has less wireless spectrum than almost any other developed
country. "The shortage is all about government policy. In the end, this is going
to stunt our growth," he said.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=4&pubdate=11/19/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/