Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia 'walkie-talkie' phone to hit Europein association with delivering pioneering applications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:40:41 -0500

Nokia 'walkie-talkie' phone to hit Europein association with delivering
pioneering applications

Thursday, November 13 2003
by Ciaran Buckley

Nokia's push-to-talk enabled 5140 handset could add a new medium to the culture
of mobile communications and could add voice minutes to operators' revenues.

Push to talk (PTT) functions like a walkie-talkie built into a mobile phone.
Instead of dialling a number to start a conversation with a friend, users just
select someone from their buddy list, push a button on the handset and speak, in
order for their voice to be instantly heard by the recipient. Like a
walkie-talkie, push-to-talk is uni-directional, so callers cannot talk over each
other and must wait for their turn to speak.

"The typical user will be similar to the type of person who uses SMS, with the
difference that SMS is less intrusive," said Chris Haddock, director of European
marketing at Ubiquity Software, a company that develops software for PTT. "I
imagine it might be used by friends meeting at a night club so that they can
find each other."

US-based Nextel already offers its customers handsets that feature its "Direct
Connect" walkie-talkie service. The only European company offering PTT is a
company called fastmobile, which offers PTT across all UK operators and in all
countries that have GPRS-enabled networks for Nokia 7650 and 3650 handsets.

But because the Nokia 5410 is compatible with European GSM frequencies and will
work across the existing GPRS networks, it opens the possibility of a broad
adoption of the technology in Europe.

One barrier to its adoption will be the initial delay in connecting to a GPRS
network, which dampens the immediacy of a walkie-talkie service. But once the
first connection has been made, subsequent back-and-forth messages are
instantaneous.

In a business context Haddock sees it as a potential replacement technology for
walkie-talkies, particularly in large sites where distance may be a limiting
factor for walkie-talkies.

Although the PTT service is expected to run across GPRS, which is currently
billed by file size rather than based on the number and duration of calls,
Haddock expects that PTT will be billed in the same manner as SMS calls.

"At the end of the day, GPRS is the bearer, but PTT is the service," said
Haddock. "The technology behind the bearer is meaningless to the consumer, who
are only interested in the usefulness of the service and the amount they'll have
to pay for it."

Haddock also said that it was difficult to estimate the ultimate size of the PTT
market because it will be bundled with voice minutes, but he believed that it
would have a "noticeable effect" upon voice minute traffic.

The 5140 is to be available from the second quarter of 2004 and also includes a
flashlight, radio, digital compass and a built-in VGA camera.

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9381505

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/