Subject: [NEXTEL-1] South Dakota Cell Tower Collapses on Highway

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:51:52 -0500

South Dakota Cell Tower Collapses on Highway

South Dakota's Highway 50 was shut down for several hours this past
weekend as a result of a cellular tower collapse. The Western Wireless
tower collapsed at approximately 7:00 a.m., causing westbound lanes to
be closed while Department of Transportation crews moved the tower.
After investigating the collapse, it was found that metal fatigue
involving one of three support cable anchors caused the tower to come
down.
Cell phone tower collapse blocks traffic

===================================================================================================

VERMILLION, S.D. -- A cellular phone tower collapse onto South Dakota
Highway 50 stopped traffic for nearly two hours Saturday morning.
The Western Wireless (Cellular One) tower collapsed at 7 a.m. about four
miles east of Vermillion. The two westbound lanes were closed until 8:45
a.m. when Department of Transportation crews were able to move the
tower. Traffic was rerouted until then.
The Clay County Sheriff's Office investigated and determined the cause
of the collapse to be metal fatigue involving one of three support cable
anchors. The anchor failure occurred approximately six feet underground.

The collapse is affecting cellular phone
service in the Interstate 29 area between
Beresford and Jefferson. Cellular One
representatives said they will build a
temporary tower to restore service.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2003/11/02/news/regional/7b54727a6166600786256dd200120e61.txt