Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sprint PCS deploys SIP platform with PTT implications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:43:03 -0500

Sprint PCS deploys SIP platform with PTT implications
By Mike Dano
November 21 12:21:00, 2003

Sprint PCS said it has deployed a Session Initiation Protocol platform, and its
Ready Link push-to-talk service uses the protocol. Sprint purchased the platform
from SIP company Dynamicsoft.
“As we continue to roll out multimedia services, our customers will discover
that we have redefined the user experience,” said Oliver Valente, vice president
of technology development at Sprint. “The Dynamicsoft SIP-based services
platform will set the stage for a broad array of new services that take
advantage of the capabilities of PCS Vision.”

Essentially, SIP is a way to start and stop a conversation that is conducted
over an IP-based network. In wireless, it basically replaces much of the
signaling work of the SS7 specification. In that respect, the technology plays a
relatively small role in the whole scheme of things. However, the functions and
services that can be built using SIP are significant—and especially important
for wireless.

The reason is that the wireless industry as a whole is moving slowly toward
all-IP-based networks. Because most PTT technologies work on IP networks using
SIP, it marks the first tentative steps of an industry moving toward a digital
future.

There also are a number of SIP services beyond PTT. Presence and availability
functions could be added directly to a phone's address book. SIP could be used
for auto conferencing, a service that could track a group of co-workers and
instantly set up a conference call when all are available. SIP even could
enhance caller ID functions by pushing not only the caller's phone number but
also a picture to the recipient.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16021

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/