Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Why Do Fleet Companies Use GPS?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:32:37 -0500

Related Stories
Why Do Fleet Companies Use GPS?
Nov 05, 2003

With companies trying to hold the bottom line, GPS usage is on the rise
.  According to government numbers, trucking providers can save big
bucks along with a six-month return on investment if they install GPS
gear for the following reasons:

To monitor and control vehicle speed, reducing maintenance costs by as
much as 30 percent.
The ideal speed for the average truck is between 50 mph and 55 mph, the
power required to increase speed multiplies dramatically: 73 percent
more horsepower to cruise at 60 mph and 159 percent more horsepower to
cruise at 70 mph.

To increase productivity and savings between $200 and $400 a month per
vehicle.
Increasing speed from 50 mph to 60 mph increases maintenance cost by 38
percent. Increasing the speed to 70 mph increases the cost by 80
percent.

Each mph above 50 mph increases fuel consumption by 1 1/2 percent. A
truck, averaging 8 mpg at 50 mph, will average 6.8 mpg at 60 mph.

Tire wear will almost double at road speeds of 70 mph or greater.

Source: U.S. Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratories

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/