Subject: [NEXTEL-1] John Muleta Shakes Up WTB- Industry Fails To React- FCC’S WIRELESS BUREAU ANNOUNCES REORGANIZATION

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:12:13 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
November 24, 2003 Chelsea Fallon at (202) 418-7991

FCC’S WIRELESS BUREAU ANNOUNCES REORGANIZATION

Washington, D.C. –  The Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (Bureau) announced
today that it has realigned its organizational structure to more effectively
support the FCC’s strategic goals – Broadband, Competition, Spectrum, Media,
Homeland Security and Modernizing the FCC.

The Bureau’s portfolios have been redistributed along the lines of the strategic
goals, consolidating similar functions to focus resources better.  While
improving the Bureau’s ability to fulfill its mission, the reorganization also
provides several benefits for managing a large and diverse organization.  The
scope and size of the Bureau’s larger Divisions are reduced to improve
managerial oversight, and organizational substructures, such as separate
branches under the Division level, are eliminated.  Eliminating branches
provides each Division’s management with greater flexibility to employ resources
and create teams to address specific issues and projects.  The overall result is
a flatter, more flexible organization that the FCC believes will be more
responsive to changes in wireless technology and the telecommunications business
environment.

The reorganization does not add or remove functions from the Bureau’s
portfolio.  From a personnel standpoint, the reorganization has been
accomplished through the redeployment of existing positions.

“This reorganization provides the Wireless Bureau with a structure to address
the dynamic challenges facing a 21st century regulatory agency,” stated John
Muleta, Chief of the Bureau.  “The result is a mission-driven team that will be
innovative in its approach to regulatory policies and customer service.”

As part of the reorganization, the Bureau now includes the following six
Divisions:

o Auctions and Spectrum Access Division – Promotes transparent, efficient and
effective access to spectrum, through the development of policy initiatives and
legal analysis, as well as procedures and administrative capability, to
implement the FCC’s competitive bidding authority and the transition of spectrum
to new and innovative uses.   Addresses issues relating to statutory authority
and objectives, Commission rules and policies, and the planning, design, and
conduct of spectrum auctions.  Margaret Wiener, formerly Chief of the Auctions
and Industry Analysis Division, will be the Division Chief.

o Broadband Division – Facilitates the rapid, widespread deployment of wireless
broadband services to rural and metropolitan areas.  Consolidates the policy,
regulatory and licensing functions for wireless broadband services, excluding
public safety and critical infrastructure services.   Joel Taubenblatt, formerly
Deputy Chief of the Policy Division, will be the Division Chief.

o Mobility Division – Promotes competitive and innovative mobile radio services
and maximizes efficient use of the mobile radio spectrum.  Consolidates the
policy, regulatory and licensing functions for wireless mobile services,
excluding public safety and critical infrastructure services.  Roger Noel,
formerly Deputy Chief of the Commercial Wireless Division, will be the Division
Chief.

o Public Safety and Critical Infrastructure Division – Consolidates wireless
homeland security and public safety issues and outreach within one Division,
including E911 and interoperability issues, as well as policy, regulatory and
licensing functions for both public safety entities and the nation’s critical
infrastructure industries.  D’Wana Terry, formerly Chief of the Public Safety
and Private Wireless Division, will be the Division Chief.

o Spectrum and Competition Policy Division – Formulates and implements
innovative spectrum, competition, and infrastructure policies that promote
access to and efficient use of radio spectrum for wireless telecommunications
and encourage competition in the communications marketplace.  Issues include
Spectrum Policy Task Force implementation, wireless/wireline convergence,
secondary markets, wireless consumer policy, competition reporting, facilities
and tower siting, and broad policy guidance for future technological
developments.  William Kunze, formerly Chief of the Commercial Wireless
Division, will be the Division Chief.

o Spectrum Management Resources and Technologies Division – Combines the
bureau’s information technology, licensing support, and auctions support and
outreach functions (currently divided between two Divisions) in order to improve
planning and implementation of the Bureau’s unique and highly integrated system
needs.  John Chudovan, formerly Chief of the Data Management Division, will be
the Division Chief.

The reorganization of the Bureau was approved by the Commission November 13,
2003.  An organizational chart reflecting the realignment of the Bureau is
attached.  Future information concerning overall implementation, division
leadership and specific responsibilities will be periodically updated on the
Bureau’s web site at wireless.fcc.gov.

– FCC –

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-241586A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/