Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TDMA transceiver now shipping- Chips for dying technology

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:50:32 -0500

TDMA transceiver now shipping-  Chips for dying technology

Zarlink Semiconductor says that its TDMA based ZL20200 single-chip radio
transceiver is now shipping in volume into South American markets. Motorola
recently launched its C150 TDMA cell phone, which uses Zarlink's
standards-compliant ZL20200 transceiver, in South America.

"The product design and development strategy for the ZL20200 transceiver
achieves a balance between technology and market requirements," said Mike
Bereziuk, senior vice president and general manager, Consumer Communications,
Zarlink Semiconductor. "The result is a TDMA handset solution that delivers the
right mix of quality, features and price."
The ZL20200 transceiver is the only commercial device that integrates TDMA
call-receive and call-transmit functions on one chip. This level of integration
helps manufacturers shrink the size of the radio portion of the cell phone radio
by up to 40% and reduce BOM (bill of material) costs, while delivering robust
voice quality.

Zarlink is developing an enhanced version of the ZL20200 transceiver that will
further reduce BOM costs. The company also offers the ZL20250 radio chip, the
first commercially available single-chip device to support both 2G TDMA/GSM
networks and 2.5G GPRS/EDGE high-speed data platforms.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10094.shtml

Posted to the site on 11-Nov-03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Steven Santinelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:35:20 -0500

So, I was wondering if someone could help me...

I sent mail to Nextel telling them of some serious dead spots on the 
network, here in NH.  More specifically, in Amherst, NH.  They told me 
to contact Technical Support.  I did that.

Call Tech support, and guess what they tell me?  That I have to CALL 
them from the spot that doesn't have signal!!!!  Now, How does one DO 
that, without purchasing a competitor's phone?!  It's not like you can 
find a pay phone anywhere!!!

Does anyone know of someone I can talk to that won't give me stupid 
answers at Nextel.  The problem is on 101a in Amherst, NH near the 
Walmart.  Nice Water tower nearby where EVERYONE BUT Nextel has a 
antenna...  The other spot is on 101 in Amherst going through to 
Bedford.  Now, I know they might not be able to fix THAT problem, but 
they SHOULD be able to at least fix the problem near walmart!!!

Thanks,

Steve

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:03:18 -0800

Steve,

There are those here that have some influence in Nextel, so you may get
a response... finally. But why do you have to go to these lengths just
to get basic appreciation for your business?

You keep giving reasons why your company should drop Nextel service ASAP
and use another carrier. You'll be able to use the same phone numbers
soon of that's a problem, and prices are usually better elsewhere.

And just throw your Nextel handsets away, they are useless in your case
and you can make some really good deals on more up to date models from
other carriers. Consider any loss a lesson in carrier selection: test
the coverage first and worry about features and promo deals after that.

But most important of all; you will be doing a better job for YOUR
customers and that's what it's really all about isn't it?

=================================

---

From: Steven Santinelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:11:13 -0500

Ok, Jack, I think you might have me confused with someone else, because 
I have NO customers that are reliant on my nextel phone, and to be 
honest, I can't remember ever complaining here...  I'm very happy with 
my service, except for 2 spots.  One I think they can fix, and 1 I don't 
think they can fix...

My biggest problem was with Nextel's way of dealing with how to tell 
them about bad coverage!

Steve

Jack Daniel wrote:

> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
> ADVERTISEMENT
> <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c89ikhn/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1068653115/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116730> 
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service 
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

---

From: Steven Santinelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:12:52 -0500

Ok, just read this message you sent, and I'm DEFINATELY NOT who you 
think I am, because I've NEVER said anything of dropping Nextel 
service.  I LOVE nextel service!  I've got a phone for myself, my 
girlfriend, my mom and a friend all under 1 account, and I'm thinking of 
adding another for my son!!!

So, I DO LOVE Nextel service...  Just those 2 spots in Amherst, NH and 
of course, the basement where my office is, where we are moving EVERYONE 
to nextel phones...

Steve

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:13:51 -0800

Sorry Steve, I read your original message as you being a company, not a
public safety agency.

But I guess you could call the public your 'customers'.
The principal of getting prompt and courteous service still applies.

In this case, Nextel would be more inclined to help you >> IF << your
agency agrees to publically endorse the Nextel 'consensus' plan for 800
MHz.

If you already have, maybe you should publically reconsider that
endorsement.

Aso be aware that if they install the typical low end signal booster
they like out west, it may interfere with other 800 MHz signals in and
near your building and vice versa.

==============================================================

Steven Santinelli wrote:
>  http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c89ikhn/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1068653115/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=411673
> 
> >
> >
> >
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                         [click here]
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:46:20 -0800

Steve, I'm not sure I fully appreciate your agency's reasoning but it's
your choice to keep a service that may not be the best coverage or
service plan available in your area.

As I understand it, you 'love' Nextel because it fits your personal life
style and that qualifies it for public safety use even though you can't
use it inside your facility. 

I've always said Nextel provides a good consumer grade of service.

At least I better understand the priorities and criteria used by your
agency in selecting Nextel and even changing EVERYONE else to Nextel.  

Just curious, is Nextel giving you the special public safety discounts
on your personal handsets too? I hear they do that elsewhere.

Anyway, I hope I didn't get you in trouble with Nextel.
 
I didn't mean to infer you were complaining about the coverage and
support Nextel is giving (or not giving) you. I simply misunderstood
your posting.

Hope they fix the problem before anyone in your agency really needs to
use the handsets in their offices.
===================================================================

---

From: Steven Santinelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:22:45 -0500

Hey Jack, actually, Nextel works WONDERFUL in everyone's building in 
Concord, except ours, in the basement...  Where they stick lowly IT 
people... :^)  If 99% of the people have nextel and it works great for 
them, they are not going to switch providers... OH and every provider 
we've tested (Nextel, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T Wireless have the same 
problem).  It even works wonderful if you get on the other side of the 
building (Still in the basement).  So, that's why I was wondering about 
the repeater...

Steve

Jack Daniel wrote:

> <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c89ikhn/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1068653115/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=411673>
> >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c2fan5l/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707367802:HM/EXP=1068667115/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116719> 
>
>
>