Subject: [NEXTEL-1] YWCA cell phone helps trapped Janesville woman

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:43:24 -0500

Donated Cell Phone Saves Trapped Woman

YWCA's Helpline saved a trapped woman that was locked in her bedroom by her
boyfriend. She used a cell phone she obtained through Helpline's cell phone
donation program to contact 911. Emergency dispatchers then broke in to her
home, freed the woman and arrested her boyfriend, who was charged with false
imprisonment, disorderly conduct and two counts of bail jumping.

====================================================================================

YWCA cell phone helps trapped Janesville woman

(Published Tuesday, November 11, 2003 10:40:30 AM CST)
Gazette Staff

A Janesville woman, trapped in her bedroom Friday by her live-in boyfriend,
called 911 on a cell phone given to her by the YWCA of Rock County, according to
court documents.

Using the phone, the woman gave police permission to break into her home.
Officers arrested James A. Jacobsen, 25, of 510 W. Holmes St., (upper). He was
charged Monday with false imprisonment, disorderly conduct and two counts of
bail jumping.
The woman told police that earlier on Friday she had tried to leave after
Jacobsen called her names and threatened her. He wouldn't allow her to go and
sat in front of the door in a chair, according to the criminal complaint.
"You're not leaving because I'm not going to let you," Jacobsen told her,
according to the complaint.

The woman told police she was afraid for herself and her unborn child because
Jacobsen had hit her before, according to the complaint.

Kerri Parker, community relations and fund-raising coordinator at the YWCA, said
the organization gives donated cell phones to four or five women each month so
they can call 911 in an emergency.
"The phones are given to victims of domestic violence who choose not to leave
their home," Parker said. "That would be part of the safety plan for the
individuals."

Anyone who wants more information can call the YWCA Helpline at (608)752-2583.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/