Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Metro regions get Homeland Security grants

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:18:14 -0500

Metro regions get Homeland Security grants

BY Dibya Sarkar
Nov. 14, 2003
Printing? Use this version.
Email this to a friend.

Fifty major metropolitan areas, including several transit agencies,
will get an additional $725 million to help improve security and
readiness to respond to terrorist acts, the federal government
announced.

The Homeland Security Department will provide $675 million in
grants to urban areas based on critical infrastructure, population
density and credible threat intelligence information. Allocations
among cities, contiguous counties and mutual aid partners will be
based on the area's assessment and strategic plan.

The funds will be funneled through state governments, which must
pass on 80 percent to designated cities. States can use the
remaining 20 percent for further security enhancements.

"The funds will go to the designated states, which will then work
with counties and cities to form regions that will work together
through mutual aid agreements, interoperable communications,
statewide intelligence centers and community and citizen
participation," said DHS Secretary Tom Ridge.

Additionally, major mass transit systems in 14 states and the
District of Columbia will get $50 million to enhance security. The systems were
chosen based on
number of annual riders and overall track mileage. Each transit system will be
required to
conduct an assessment and preparedness plan if it hasn't already.

Transit agencies can use funds for physical barricades, integrated
communications systems,
prevention planning, training and exercises, and monitoring, including video
surveillance, motion
detectors, thermal/Infrared imagery and chemical/radiological material detection
systems.

Earlier this year, the federal government provided at least $700 million for
high-threat urban
areas.

http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/1110/web-urban-11-14-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/