Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push to talk - a global revenue source

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:30:00 -0500

Push to talk - a global revenue source

As the battle for the potentially lucrative cellular push to talk (PTT) market
continues to heat up, a recently completed detailed market investigation by IMS
Research reveals some interesting results. For example, worldwide revenues
generated by PTT services offered to business users and consumers are shown to
demonstrate sustained high rates of growth, exceeding $50 billion in 2008.

Recent announcements from companies competing for a slice of the action
demonstrate that this potential revenue stream is being taken seriously. In
North America, Verizon Wireless has been marketing its newly launched PTT
service very aggressively. IMS Research also expects a strong marketing campaign
to accompany the new launch from Sprint PCS.

Report analyst John Devlin said, "although many believe that PTT is a North
American phenomenon, research shows that whilst early activity is concentrated
in USA, interest is by no means limited to this region. The fact that Nokia, the
world's largest handset manufacturer, has stated that all its new GPRS/W-CDMA
handsets will feature PTT technology from 2005 shows the support being given to
this on a global scale."

Devlin adds, "many aspects of the market were considered during the researching
of this study. Two key factors determine the rate of uptake and the realisable
market size. These are the availability of suitable PTT compatible handsets and
the marketing efforts of those operators launching these services. To facilitate
a successful launch it is necessary for operators to ensure that the handsets
available are correctly priced and feature suitable functionality to enter their
target markets. Additionally, operators will have to consider their pricing
strategies and invest in their marketing campaigns in order to promote PTT,
which outside of North America is a relatively unknown concept. If these factors
are addressed correctly then it is possible for the revenues quoted to be
exceeded."

Posted to the site on 19-Nov-03
http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10141.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/