Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FAA in Albuquerque Connects Remote Facilities Using Terabeam's Free Space Optics Systems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:48:00 -0500

FAA in Albuquerque Connects Remote Facilities Using Terabeam's Free
Space Optics Systems

Terabeam Corporation announced that the Federal Aviation Administration
(FAA) has purchased Terabeam's free space optics (FSO) systems, the
Terabeam Elliptica(TM), to connect its facilities in Albuquerque, New
Mexico.

The FAA deployed Terabeam's FSO Fast Ethernet system that provides voice
and data transmission of 100 megabits per second (Mbps), which is
equivalent to 65 T-1 circuits. The FSO systems connect several FAA
remote facilities to its main network.  "Our systems are designed to
meet the rigorous network security and reliability standards required by
government agencies," said Dan Hesse, Terabeam's chairman, president and
chief executive officer. "Our FSO systems are also of particular
interest for airport applications, as they introduce none of the
potential radio interference that is associated with some wireless
products."

The Terabeam Elliptica system uses FSO technology to send an invisible,
eye-safe beam of laser light through the air. The signal is carried on
the same kind of light that is inside a fiber optic cable, but is done
so through a wireless connection, and is directed from rooftops, towers
or directly through windows to another such location. In addition to
providing LAN-to-LAN or campus connectivity, FSO systems can be deployed
to extend a fiber network to additional buildings and for cellular
backhaul, spatial diversity and disaster recovery applications.  This
announcement with the FAA is the fourth customer win for Terabeam with a
government agency. Recent government work includes projects with the
Office of Homeland Security and Public Safety in New Orleans, the U.S.
National Communications System and the Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency (DARPA), an agency of the United States Department of
Defense.

http://www.bbwexchange.com/publications/newswires/page546-624054.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/