Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Senator Dewine Introduces Bill Prohibiting Unauthorized Use of Preemption Technology

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:45:32 -0500

Senator Dewine Introduces Bill Prohibiting Unauthorized Use of Preemption
Technology

WASHINGTON, DC, Nov. 24, 2003 - Senator Michael Dewine (R-OH) introduced a bill
prohibiting the sale or possession of "aftermarket" preemption devices that
allows unauthorized switching of traffic signals.

The existence of mobile infrared transmitters (MIRTs) has made national news
over the past several weeks, as reporters discovered that any citizen could
purchase such technology on the Internet - and potentially disrupt traffic.

In his introductory remarks November 5th, Senator Dewine noted that his bill -
the Safe Intersections Act of 2003 - would criminalize the unauthorized sale and
possession of a mobile infrared transmitter, MIRT. Signal preemption technology
has been used for years by public safety professionals and throughout the
transit community, and has proven to be a very useful tool when used properly.
However, Senator Dewine noted that a recent advertisement on the Internet
auction site eBay offered to fulfill "every motorist's fantasy to be able to
make a red traffic light turn green without so much as easing off the
accelerator."

The bill makes it illegal to sell to unauthorized users - and/or to possess for
unauthorized use - with a fine of up to $10,000 and possible imprisonment.
http://www.itsa.org/itsnews.nsf/180c9c506bf5856985256c2d00174a12/48c46203487e306c85256de80043dd6e?OpenDocument

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/