Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WorldCom, Nextel in wireless talks- Timmy learns how To "Cook The Books" From A "PRO"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:15:37 -0500

New York Daily News orldCom, Nextel in wireless talks
By DANA CIMILLUCA
BLOOMBERG NEWS
Saturday, November 15th, 2003

WorldCom, the No. 2 long-distance phone company, and Nextel have held talks to
form a partnership allowing WorldCom to sell mobile services. "We have had some
conversations with WorldCom," Nextel CEO Timothy Donahue said in an interview in
Washington.

Linking with Nextel, the top seller of walkie-talkie wireless service, would
help WorldCom catch up to other phone companies,
which are offering more products to retain customers. WorldCom CEO Michael
Capellas said last week that his firm was in talks with mobile-phone providers
to add the service. He declined to name potential partners. Long-distance and
local phone companies, burned by large acquisitions in the 1990s that proved
unprofitable, are turning to alliances to help broaden their product ranges.

WorldCom, which considered buying Nextel four years ago, filed for bankruptcy in
2002 after uncovering an accounting fraud that reached $11 billion. "The name of
the game in telecom is bundled products," said Patricia Lee, an analyst at
CreditSights, a bond research firm. "For the wireless guys, it gives them access
to another distribution channel, so it makes sense all around."
Nextel's service is used by construction crews, public-safety teams and other
professionals who work outside offices. The company's quarterly sales jumped 27%
to $2.89 billion, boosted by the industry's highest revenue per customer and
lowest turnover rate. Subscribers rose to 12.3 million.

AT&T, the biggest long-distance company, in May agreed to sell customers mobile
calling from AT&T Wireless, which it spun off in 2001. WorldCom, with 20 million
customers, already sells local-phone service and Internet access in addition to
long distance. "The Internet world is one about formulating partnerships,"
Capellas told reporters. "Wireless, local, long distance and Internet access,
the bundle, becomes the dominant play."

T-Mobile is another candidate for a WorldCom alliance, say analysts. A T-Mobile
spokesman had no comment.
WorldCom plans to change its name to MCI upon exiting creditor protection.

http://www.nydailynews.com/business/story/136829p-121698c.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/