Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel 6:1 Vocoder problems or just lies ???

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:22:51 -0000

From SSB's Telecom Tidbits:

...
Nextel Communications (NXTL - $23.46; 2S) -- Nextel recently filed 
its 10-Q for 3Q/03 and disclosed that new handsets being sold with 
6:1 vocoder capabilities are currently only 3:1 enabled. Nextel 
expects to begin selling handsets that operate in both 3:1 and 6:1 
modes in selected markets during 4Q/03 and in all markets during 
1Q/04.

Implication -- Slight delay of the handset software release to 
support the new 6:1 vocoder will slow seeding of 6:1-ready phones 
over the near-term, but should not impact our capital spending 
forecast that of $1.8 billion for '04 that has always contemplated 
the capacity advantages from the new vocoder to be realized in '05.  
Nextel is waiting to launch the dual-mode 6:1/3:1 vocoder to fine 
tune the voice quality in the 6:1 mode based on its Florida test 
market experience. 

The company indicated the quality was good in its Florida test, but 
it wishes to take advantage of the existing excess network capacity 
to further fine-tune the performance of the new vocoder. 

<But ??? But is the biggest cop out in the world. The shi(f)t don't 
work!!! eos.>

The release of the 6:1 vocoder is important, because it will create 
substantial network capacity as both the network is upgraded 
(expected 1Q/04) and customers carry capable handsets. The company's 
strategy is to seed as many phones into the base ahead of the 
network launch to get an immediate capacity boost following the 
network upgrade, similar to the way Sprint PCS and Verizon launched 
their 1XRTT services. 

While this delay will slow the seeding, the company should replace 
about 40-50% of its phones during '04 through churn, upgrades, and 
organic growth of which a majority of those sales should be 6:1-
ready at the time of sale. 

<Has SSB's Mike Rollings lost his friggin head? 50% of 12m sub is 6m 
HS units. MOT is not even capable of producing that many iDEN 
phones. Ahhh, you know what they say, once you start telling lies, 
you can't stop!!!>

Some capacity benefits could accrue in late-'04, according to the 
company, while our estimates take a more conservative view for '05.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:49:31 -0500

> <But ??? But is the biggest cop out in the world. The shi(f)t don't

I predicted problems with the new vocoder when it was in "Alpha".
Just like the old days they are trying to hype technology that has not been
perfected.
Hype like this lead  to the $27M lawsuit settlement.

From The $27M settlement:

BACKGROUND OF LITIGATION

"The Actions assert various claims on behalf of purchasers of the common stock
of
Nextel Communications, Inc. (“Nextel”) during the period July 22, 1993 through
January 10, 1995, inclusive. Plaintiffs allege, among other things, that
Defendants (hereinafter defined) violated the federal securities laws and state
common law
by issuing various allegedly misleading statements and disseminating allegedly
misleading documents to the investing public pertaining to the commercial
viability of a wireless communications technology deployed by Nextel."

Nextel Hyped & Hyped the 6:1 Vocoder in 1995. They said the vocoder among other
thing were NOT ready for prime time.

> phones. Ahhh, you know what they say, once you start telling lies,

He is lost ...........