Subject: [NEXTEL-1] House passes E911 bill

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:24:05 -0500

House passes E911 bill
BY Dibya Sarkar
Nov. 5, 2003

The House yesterday approved a bill that would provide grants, planning
and coordination to local 911 call centers needing equipment upgrades,
infrastructure and training.

House approval of the E911 Implementation Act of 2003 is a major victory
for advocates who have been pressing the federal government to
accelerate implementation of better technology and training at 911 call
centers, also known as Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs). A growing
problem has been accurately locating wireless callers, who now
constitute more than half of the country's 200 million 911 calls each
year.

Although 37 percent of answering points can display a wireless caller's
phone number, only 18 percent can also show a wireless phone's location.

The bill, H.R. 2898, would provide federal matching grants to state,
tribal and local governments for that purpose. It authorizes $100
million a year fiscal years 2004 through 2008.

As a condition of a grant, states and other taxing jurisdictions that
levy and collect fees and charge for 911 service in an area must certify
they're not using that money for other purposes. Lawmakers and other 911
advocates have complained that such funds are being diverted. Under the
House bill, if states are found redirecting the money they would be
ineligible to receive more 911 grants and may be forced to return
earlier ones.

The bill, co-sponsored by Reps. John Shimkus (R-Ill.) and Anna Eshoo
(D-Calif.), establishes a joint federal office between the
Transportation and Commerce departments to provide coordination and
communication among federal, state and local governments, emergency
personnel, public safety groups, telecommunications carriers, and
telecommunications equipment companies.

The E-911 Implementation Coordination Office would, among other things,
develop, collect and disseminate information on implementation
practices, procedures and technology; advise and assist eligible
entities in implementation plans; review grant applications; and oversee
use of grant money.

According to the National Emergency Number Association, the country has
6,121 primary and secondary PSAPs. About 93 percent of them have
enhanced 911 for landline callers -- meaning a call is routed to the
proper local 911 center and the caller's phone number and address are
displayed -- and 7 percent have basic or no 911.

The Senate Commerce Committee in June approved similar legislation (S.
1250), which could come to a full Senate vote before the end of the
year.

http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/1103/web-e911-11-05-03.asp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/