Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Siemens to enter PTT arena

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:48:57 -0500

Siemens to enter PTT arena
By Mike Dano
December 16 13:17:00, 2003

Mobile-phone news continues its frantic march, with Siemens announcing major new
support for global push-to-talk services.
Siemens Mobile said it will make its entire product range—from infrastructure to
handsets—capable of push-to-talk services. Indeed, the company said more than 10
mobile operators in the United States, Europe and Asia will test its PTT
technology during the first half of next year. Siemens said it expects
commercial introduction of push-to-talk services from these carriers by the
middle of next year.

“PoC (push to talk over cellular) is a topic of global interest that will be a
big hit in 2004,” said Lothar Pauly, a Siemens Mobile board member. “We’re
putting great effort into driving the market, backed by our wealth of expertise
from mobile phones, middleware and applications right up to the infrastructure.
We’ll be the first equipper to present customers with a complete end-to-end
offering in the area of PoC that’s already based on the open, cross-vendor
specification. We don’t want any proprietary solutions.”

As for devices, Siemens said almost all of its “new middle class models” will be
PTT equipped by 2005. The company’s commitment follows similar moves from Nokia
Corp., which recently announced all of its GSM handsets will be PTT capable by
2005.

In other handset news, iDEN carriers Nextel Communications Inc. and Southern
LINC said they will sell the new Motorola Inc. i530 flip phone, a ruggedized
device for workers and outdoor enthusiasts. Nextel said it will sell the phone
for $125 with a two-year service agreement, while Southern LINC did not provide
a price.

Separately, Nokia said it will build a special version of its MP3-capable 3300
music phone featuring rapper Jay-Z’s new Black Album. The move comes as other
handset makers, including Motorola and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., have built
specialized devices for various user segments.

Finally, NEC Corp. said it will use video player technology from PacketVideo
Corp. in its new 616 handset for Hutchison Whampoa Group’s W-CDMA network in
Hong Kong and the United Kingdom. NEC said it will provide 2.5 million of the
phones by the first quarter of next year. The deal comes shortly after Alcatel
purchased the network division of PacketVideo.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16274&type=news&bt=nextel

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/