Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications upgrade,PORTSMOUTH NH.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:11:56 -0500

Communications upgrade

By Nancy Cicco
[email-masked]

PORTSMOUTH - It’s roomier, has that
brand-new-car smell and boasts a lot of high-tech
wizardry - all for a singular purpose. The
Portsmouth Police Department’s new Emergency
Communications Center allows first responders
from throughout the state to seamlessly
communicate with each other in times of crisis.

That ability will help to ensure countless people
receive critical emergency services when needed.

U.S. Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., was one on a list
of federal, state and local officials who turned out
Friday morning to cut the ribbon on the $1.5
million digital-radio communications center at the
Junkins Avenue police station.

As chairman of the Senate Appropriations
Subcommittee that oversees Department of
Justice funding, Gregg was able to secure $1
million in federal money for the new
communications center.

The remaining $500,000 came from the city’s capital-improvement fund, all at no
cost to the taxpayers, officials said.

Gregg downplayed his role in bringing the center to fruition on Friday.

"The only reason I was successful is because you’ve got a community that’s got
its act together, and that makes a huge difference," the senator said.

The center features four climate-controlled work stations for four police and
fire
dispatchers, an employee work-break room and a room for computer servers that
boasts its own dry fire-suppression system.

Each work station has a monitor for the digital radio system that links to a
statewide digital communications system. Computer-mapping systems, which
allow dispatchers to give out accurate directions, are also part of the center.

In charge of the facility will be Communications Supervisor Gil Emery.

Officials realized the need for the new center after Portsmouth’s participation
on
Operation TOPOFF in 2000. The weeklong terrorism-response exercise showed
the Police Department’s radio system was deficient.

The 1997 tragedy in Colebrook, N.H., during which resident Carl Drega killed two

state troopers and two others, also put local and state officers on notice they
needed to improve the way they communicate. The officers were slowed in their
ability to respond to Drega’s shooting spree because they were not able to
communicate with each other effectively, according to Portsmouth Police Chief
Michael Magnant.

"It feels great. I think it’s a great day for the Police Department and the city
of
Portsmouth," he said of the center’s launch.

"I’m overjoyed, really," said Mayor Evelyn Sirrell. "I can’t give Sen. Gregg
enough
credit. He’s been there for us so many times."

Others attending the ceremony included former Police Chief Brad Russ, who now
works for the federal office of Juvenile Justice, Executive Councilor Ruth
Griffin;
several city councilors, the three city councilors-elect, City Manager John
Bohenko, Fire Chief Chris LeClaire and Police Commissioner Jack Kelley.
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/12132003/news/65392.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/