Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The President's “Spectrum Policy Initiative” Moves Forward- One-Day Spectrum Efficiency and New Technology Forum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:11:48 -0500

Billing Code: 3510-60-P

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
National Telecommunications and Information Administration
Notice, One-Day Spectrum Efficiency and New Technology Forum
AGENCY: National Telecommunications and Information Administration, U.S.
Department of Commerce

ACTION: Notice of Public Meeting
SUMMARY: The U.S. Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications and
Information Administration
(NTIA) will host a one-day spectrum efficiency and new technology forum. The
first panel will discuss incentives for
more efficient and beneficial spectrum use and cover such topics as defining
efficiency, comparing efficiency to
effectiveness, measuring methods of efficiency, and identifying policies to
achieve efficient spectrum use. The second
panel will discuss the development of new and expanded services and technologies
that improve efficiency and streamline
technology deployment. Both panels will feature participation from
representatives of key industries and organizations
that use spectrum, economists and analysts, technologists and futurists,
equipment manufacturers, and experts from
government and academia.

DATES: The forum will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, December
9, 2003.

ADDRESSES: The Spectrum Efficiency and New Technology Forum will be held at the
U.S. Department of
Commerce, 1401 Constitution Avenue, N.W., Room 4830, Washington, D.C. (The
entrance to the Department of
Commerce is on 14th Street between Constitution and Pennsylvania Avenues.) All
events are open to the public. To
facilitate entry into the Department of Commerce, please have a photo
identification and/or U.S. Government building
pass, if applicable.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Joe Gattuso, NTIA Office of Policy Analysis and
Development, at
(202) 482-1880, or electronic mail: [email-masked]. Please direct media
inquiries to the Office of Public Affairs,
NTIA, at (202) 482-7002.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: This forum is one in a series of discussions to
implement the President’s
Spectrum Policy Initiative, which will result in recommendations to the
Administration for improving spectrum
management policies and procedures. On May 29, 2003, the President signed a
Presidential Memorandum outlining the
Administration’s initiative for spectrum management reform. The President
established the “Spectrum Policy Initiative” to
promote the development and implementation of a U.S. spectrum policy for the
21st century. He directed the Secretary
of Commerce to chair the initiative, which includes two courses of
spectrum-related activity, one based on an interagency
task force and the other on a series of public meetings. The Department of
Commerce will develop recommendations for
revising policies and procedures to promote more efficient and beneficial use of
spectrum without harmful interference to
incumbent users.

NTIA will provide additional information about the forum in the near future on
its home page at www.ntia.doc.gov.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION: The panel discussions will be open to the public and press
on a first-come, first-served
basis. Space is limited. Due to security requirements and to facilitate entry to
the Department of Commerce building,
attendees must present photo identification and/or a U.S. Government building
pass, if applicable, and should arrive at
least one-half hour ahead of the panel sessions. The public meeting is
physically accessible to people with disabilities.
Any member of the public wishing to attend and requiring special services, such
as sign language interpretation or other
ancillary aids, should contact Joe Gattuso at (202) 482-1880 or at
[email-masked], at least three (3) days prior to
the meeting.

Dated: 11-18-2003

Kathy D. Smith
Chief Counsel, National Telecommunications and Information Administration

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:38:04 -0500

Amazing .......

Six months ago everyone was jumping up and down over the Presidents “Spectrum Policy
Initiative”.
Groups were formed to counter the President's proposal.  Everyone vowed to change
the course of the Presidents “Spectrum Policy Initiative". So here we are almost
half way through the President's  time line (1yr)  and his plan is moving forward
with little oposition from Private Wireless or others. Private Wireless in a fight
for it's life with Nextel (02-55) and does not have the time, energy or money to
focus on other issues. Looks like once again the little guy ( Private Wireless) gets
pushed to the side and it is politics as normal.