Subject: [NEXTEL-1] McCaw Acquires Fixed Wireless Spectrum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:30:00 -0500

McCaw Acquires Fixed Wireless Spectrum

By Sue Marek
December 22, 2003
news@2 direct

The wireless industry's most prominent entrepreneur is investing in MMDS
spectrum. According to a Bloomberg news report, Craig McCaw formed a company in
October called Flux U.S. Corp. and acquired rights to some licenses in the
2500-2690 MHz band, which has been designated for multichannel multipoint
distribution services and instructional television fixed services. 

McCaw made a fortune by snapping up U.S. wireless spectrum licenses in the early
1980s and carving together the first national wireless network, which he then
sold to AT&T in the mid-1990s. 

In the MMDS filing, McCaw disclosed that some of the licenses are in the Florida
cities of Jacksonville and Daytona but provided no insight into what Flux U.S.
Corp. plans to do with the spectrum. 

Flux U.S. Corp. isn't the only firm interested in the MMDS/ITFS spectrum. Nextel
Communications Inc. is one of the largest owners of MMDS spectrum. In the past
several months, Nextel purchased the wireless broadband spectrum assets from
WorldCom Inc. for $144 million and from Nucentrix Broadband Networks Inc. for
$51 million.

 Interestingly, McCaw held a seat on the Nextel Communications board from 1995
until his resignation from the board earlier this month. At that time, McCaw
said he was leaving the board to pursue other opportunities.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=12/22/03

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/