Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC to Look at Phone Firms' Use of Internet to Carry Calls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:34:40 -0500

FCC to Look at Phone Firms' Use of Internet to Carry Calls
By Christopher Stern
Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, November 29, 2003; Page E01

The telecommunications industry, eager to find a route around a 100-year-old
regulatory regime, has turned to a new path: the Internet.

In the month since a federal court in Minnesota ruled that calls delivered
over the Internet are not subject to state regulation, Qwest Communications
International Inc., Verizon Communications Inc. and SBC Communications Inc.
have announced intentions to beef up their ability to deliver phone calls
over their data networks.

The Federal Communications Commission traditionally has had a hands-off
policy when it comes to regulating the Internet. But on Monday, it will hold
its first hearing in its effort to decide whether it needs to step into an
issue that has the potential to transform the industry.

The stakes in the debate are huge. Federal and state governments could lose
billions of dollars in revenue from regulatory fees if calls moved onto the
Internet are no longer subject to the charges. And if the FCC chooses not to
regulate Internet calls, it could raise questions about the future of the
Universal Service Fund, a $6 billion federal program funded by telephone
fees that subsidizes phone service in rural areas and Internet service for
schools.

In moving more voice calls over the Internet, the telephone companies are
taking advantage of a new technology that translates the sound of a voice
into small packets of data and sends them over the Internet like a batch of
tiny e-mail messages. Because e-mail isn't regulated, the telephone
companies argue that neither should calls completed via the Internet.

Local and long-distance companies are migrating quickly to the new
technology to avoid the cost of maintaining separate voice and data
networks. Nortel Networks, the Canadian telecommunications equipment maker,
estimates that local telephone companies could cut their costs of running a
network by 30 percent by shifting to a Internet-based network. Nortel also
contends that carriers can cut their capital investment costs by 50 percent.
"The market is absolutely moving in the direction of the convergence of
these networks," said Martha Bejar, president of carrier solutions at
Nortel.

Long-distance companies also hope to reap huge savings by using the Internet
to bypass local telephone networks. Long-distance companies now pay local
companies $25 billion a year in "access charges." The fees cover the cost of
connecting long-distance customers to the local network. The long-distance
companies argue they should not have to pay access charges for calls that
travel over the Internet.

FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell had initially been reluctant to jump into the
debate. As recently as October, he had said the agency would launch a notice
of inquiry, an agency proceeding designed to invite public comment on an
issue without reaching a final decision. But earlier this month, Powell
suggested in a letter to Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) that the agency could issue
a final rule within the next 12 months.

Powell lost a battle at the FCC earlier this year to preempt state
regulation of local telephone companies. Now the Minnesota federal court
decision could give him an opportunity to reverse that ruling -- at least
for calls that are delivered over the Internet. Although Powell has said he
has an open mind on the issue, he has indicated publicly that he is
reluctant to impose traditional telephone regulations on Internet calls.

"I think the worst thing we could do is, again, regulate it like a
telephone, regulate it by an accident for no other reason than that's what
we know and that's what we understand," Powell said in a speech last month.

In addition to getting answers about regulation of Internet calls, companies
are eager to set guidelines that define when a call is moved over the
Internet and when it moves over traditional voice circuits. For instance,
local telephone companies worry that long-distance companies will seek to
avoid paying fees for connecting local customers to the long-distance
network if any part of the call touches the Internet. Long distance
companies fear local companies won't open their networks to rivals if a call
touches even a piece of Internet-related equipment.

 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20032-2003Nov28.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/