Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New York State Approves Nextel for Purchase

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:31:51 -0500

December 18, 2003 12:13 PM US Eastern Timezone 

New York State Approves Nextel for Purchase, Signs Contract with 
Nextel Communications; Nextel Partners to Also Provide Phones & 
Service 

ELMSFORD, N.Y. & ALBANY, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 18, 2003--
  Government Impressed with Walkie Talkie Feature, Security    

Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL), the leading provider of 
walkie-talkie, integrated and interoperable wireless communications, 
today announced a contract with the state of New York. Nextel 
Partners, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTP), an affiliate of Nextel Communications, 
will also provide the same fully integrated, digital wireless 
communications products and services to areas throughout the state. 

The contract allows government agencies, political subdivisions, 
municipalities and all other authorized users to procure Nextel hand-
sets and services as needs arise. Nextel already is in use by public 
safety and government officials throughout the country who benefit 
from its highly secure, Direct Connect(SM) digital walkie-talkie 
service. Additional features incorporated into the phone provide 
added value, and include digital cellular, text and numeric 
messaging, and wireless Internet access. 

"Our Nextel products and services are ideal for handling the needs 
of the agencies and organizations serving residents throughout New 
York State. With the interoperability of our phones, each agency has 
the ability to connect with one another through reliable and secure 
communications, regardless of jurisdiction or department," said 
Jerry Reynolds, New York area vice president for Nextel 
Communications. "And nothing compares with the instant 
communications capability of the Nextel Direct Connect(R) walkie-
talkie feature, which lets people communicate with one or an entire 
team of up to 100 people at the touch of a button." 

Nextel Communications provides service to the New York metropolitan 
area, with offices in New York City, Elmsford, White Plains, 
Flushing, Garden City and Melville; and already works with the New 
York City Police Department, the New York City Fire Department, the 
New York Office of Emergency Management and the United States Navy. 
Nextel Partners, which has been serving Upstate New York for several 
years, already provides service to such public safety groups as the 
New York State Police, City of Albany Police Department, City of 
Schenectady Police and Fire Departments, and the City of Troy Police 
Department. Its local offices and retails stores are located in the 
greater Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo and Rochester areas. 

"Nextel is a perfect fit for government workers, people working hard 
to get things done for their communities, who need a communication 
tool that simplifies communication," said Lynette Sharp, Upstate New 
York area general manager for Nextel Partners. "We've already seen 
how Nextel can help public safety officials increase efficiencies 
among departments, improve response times, and save time and money. 
Now we're ready to get things done for the state of New York." 

About Nextel Communications 

Nextel Communications, a FORTUNE 300 company based in Reston, Va., 
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications 
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless 
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the 
United States. Today 95 percent of FORTUNE 500(R) companies are 
Nextel customers. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc. currently serve 
293 of the top 300 U.S. markets where approximately 248 million 
people live or work. 

About Nextel Partners 

Nextel Partners, Inc., (NASDAQ:NXTP), based in Kirkland, Wash., has 
the exclusive right to provide digital wireless communications 
services using the Nextel brand name in 31 states where 
approximately 53 million people reside. Nextel Partners offers its 
customers the same fully integrated, digital wireless communications 
services available from Nextel Communications (Nextel) including 
digital cellular, text and numeric messaging, wireless Internet 
access and Direct Connect(SM) digital walkie-talkie, all in a single 
wireless phone. Nextel Partners customers can seamlessly access 
these services anywhere on Nextel's or Nextel Partners' all-digital 
wireless network, which currently covers 293 of the top 300 U.S. 
markets. To learn more about Nextel Partners, visit 
www.nextelpartners.com. To learn more about Nextel's services, visit 
www.nextel.com. 

Nextel, NEXTEL DONE., the Nextel logo and Direct Connect are 
registered trademarks and/or service marks of Nextel Communications 
Inc. 

Done.
  
Contacts  

 Nextel Communications Inc., Elmsford, N.Y.
Media: 
Diane Rainey, 914-407-7282
or 
Investors: 
Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300
or 
Nextel Partners, Inc., Kirkland, Wash.
Media: 
Susan Johnston, 425-576-3617
or
Investors: 
Alice Kang Ryder, 425-576-3696 

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031218/185454_1.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/