Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hope You Like Jamming, Too Cell-phone jammers may soon be all over.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:05:30 -0500

Now How Will Public Safety Deal With This Type Of Interference?
There are at least 300 jammers in the USA from one distributor alone.
These devices also block P/S signals in the 800 mhz band.
The buyers include restaurants, schools personal users.
All locations where P/S will need to respond.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope You Like Jamming, Too Cell-phone jammers may soon be all over.
By David S. Bennahum
Posted Friday, Dec. 5, 2003, at 3:34 PM PT

Before President Bush visited London
last month, the English press indulged in
frenzied speculation about the
extraordinary security measures that
would be taken to protect him. The
papers fretted about a number of
humdrum potential hassles (street
closures, monstrous traffic jams), but they
also raised a more peculiar concern:
Would the government of Britain
selectively block cell-phone signals along
President Bush's route? If they

did—whether they switched off the cellular networks along his path or jammed
local cell-phone signals—nearby mobile phones would become inoperable.

As it turns out, they didn't jam cell phones. But this arcane-sounding
precaution was no figment of the English imagination. Cell-phone jammers—already
available on the Internet to security honchos and average Joes alike—are a
surprisingly useful (and widely used) tool, and they could easily become as
popular as cell phones themselves.

A cellular "security bubble" in London could have protected Bush from a very
real threat: terrorists who use cell phones to detonate bombs from miles away,
or even another country. By connecting a cell phone to hidden explosives, and
then calling that phone, one can detonate a bomb (the electrical charge that
activates the ringer on the cell phone serves as the triggering signal). In May
2002, Palestinian militants in Tel Aviv nearly caused a major explosion when
they placed a bomb wired to a cell phone in a fuel truck headed for Israel's
largest fuel depot. (The bomb detonated, but the fire was put out.)

The physics of jamming a cell phone are actually quite simple. Cell phones
operate by sending signals along a range of the electromagnetic spectrum
reserved for their use. (In the United States that part typically is measured as
either 800 or 1,900 megahertz; in Europe it's usually 900 or 1,800 megahertz.)
All a cell-phone jamming device needs to do is broadcast a signal on those same
frequencies, and it will interfere with any devices trying to transmit in that
range. The net effect for a hapless cell-phone user? The phone's screen will
simply indicate that no signal is available. Odds are most people won't even
notice that their phones are being jammed. They'll just assume that they're in a
dead spot—and feel annoyed.
It is possible for intrepid consumers to acquire the same technology that's used
to create security bubbles around traveling dignitaries. Sites offer a wide
range of jamming devices at reasonable prices. For instance, the SH066PL2A/B is
a portable cell-phone jammer that sells for 169.99 British pounds ($293
dollars). The SH066PL2A/B will get you a security bubble of about 30 feet, and
it's camouflaged to look like a cell phone, so you can leave it out on a
restaurant table and no one will know you're the source of the blissful silence
in the room.

Those seeking a more robust alternative can purchase a bigger device, which will
cover a radius of about 100 feet. Law-enforcement officers use the big jammers
to cut off mobile communication in volatile situations, isolating hostage-takers
and other baddies from the outside world. And corporate security folks can use
them to thwart innovative industrial spies, who have several neat new tricks.
These days, a boardroom Mata Hari can purchase a specially designed cell phone
that will answer incoming calls while appearing to be switched off. In a
business meeting, she could casually leave her phone on the table while excusing
herself to go to the bathroom. Once she's gone, she can call the phone she left
behind and eavesdrop on what the other side is saying in her absence. Sound
farfetched? Perhaps, but this threat is the marketing hook for a new product,
the Netline Cellular Activity Analyzer, which supposedly can detect hidden cell
phones in a room. The same logic calls for installing a cell-phone jammer as
well, to ensure you have complete privacy in your offices, or at least in
conference rooms where important negotiations occur.

But there's a problem.

In the United States, actively jamming a cell-phone signal is illegal. The FCC,
which is the government agency in charge of regulating the airwaves, has
established severe penalties for doing so. If you're caught at your local
restaurant with the SH066PL2A/B, it's possible you could face an $11,000 fine
and a one-year jail term. Possible, but apparently highly unlikely. It seems
that the FCC has never charged anyone with this crime, even though the American
market is one of the most important when it comes to selling cell-phone jamming
equipment. One distributor (who wished to remain anonymous) told me they've
exported approximately 300 jammers to the United States this year, more than to
any other country. The exporter claims that buyers include restaurants, schools
(including some universities, which have installed the technology to stop
students from wirelessly diddling away on their phones during lectures), and
personal users.

According to the FCC, cell-phone jammers should remain illegal. Since commercial
enterprises have purchased the rights to the spectrum, the argument goes,
jamming their signals is a kind of property theft. But there are countries with
less draconian rules. France, for instance, seems to turn a blind eye to the
active use of cell-phone jammers in movie theaters, and countries such as China,
Russia, and Israel either permit use of these technologies, or are very lax when
it comes to enforcing restrictions.

Americans seeking a legal way to jam cell phones can look into "passive" jamming
technologies. For instance, lining your office in lead should ensure that no
signals get in or out. But if lead is too industrial to suit your décor, a more
genteel alternative exists: You could install "magnetic wood" paneling
throughout. A Japanese scientist, Hideo Oka, has invented a new kind of building
material, saturated with magnetic particles made of nickel-zinc ferrite that
supposedly deflect 97 percent of mobile-phone signals.
Oka's hope is that Home Depot and the like will eventually sell the stuff by the
board-foot. Since blocking signals this way doesn't require active broadcasting
on a commercially leased frequency, it seems to be legal, though the cellular
industry's trade association, the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet
Association, doesn't think any jamming should occur, whether active or passive.

But the CTIA is unlikely to see a ban on passive jamming any time soon.  The
problem is that cell phones aren't just for talking anymore. And as the industry
continues to provide futuristic gadgets with dizzying capabilities, it will be
tougher to make a case against all forms of interference. The prevalence of
camera phones, to cite just one example, poses a new problem for industrial
security experts eager to keep espionage-minded shutterbugs in the dark. One
company, Iceberg Systems, is beta-testing a new technology that will remotely
turn off the cameras in cell phones.

While the legality of this technology is unclear, odds are that the demand for
such products will surge in the near future, as analysts predict that within
five years there could be up to 1 billion camera phones in circulation
worldwide. We may find ourselves in a "bottom up" surveillance society, where
anyone can record anything, and send sound and image out to the Internet for
those who want to watch and listen in. This is happening already: On Nov. 18 a
club-goer snapped a picture of an allegedly vomit-and urine-soaked toy gorilla
strapped to the grille of a police car parked in front of a popular hip-hop club
in Portland, Ore. The picture triggered a minor scandal, forcing the Portland
police department to explain why the incident wasn't racist.

In this climate, where anything can be photographed or surreptitiously recorded,
the desire for privacy, and "security bubbles" of our own, will likely mean that
the once-esoteric world of cell-phone jamming will become increasingly
mainstream. And why not? After all, if it's good enough for the president, isn't
it good enough for the rest of us?

http://slate.msn.com/id/2092059/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/