Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: DSL's cost

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 12:29:57 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "James H. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: DSL's cost

    Next Wednesday, Former FCC Chairman Reed Hundt is leading a panel
discussion at the New America Foundation, which is just north of Dupont
Circle, "Should Last Mile Broadband Connection to the Home be Universal?
Should the Government Build the Infrastructure to make it Happen?"
    The teaser for the event says:  "For more than a decade U.S.
telecommunications policy has been guided by a vision of facilities-based
competition in the last-mile. But considering the prohibitive economics of
the last mile and the speeds that will be demanded for next-generation
broadband service, should public policy play in role in making universal
broadband Internet access an essential public amenity? Many believe that the
21st Century Broadband goal should be an optical fiber infrastructure, with
virtually limitless communications capacity, that reaches every American
home--much like the last mile of our nation's energy, sewer, and water
networks. Is the facilities-based approach of current telecommunications
policy fundamentally misguided and unable to meet the demands of the 21st
Century? Are current policies actually stifling telecommunications
innovation in the last-mile instead of fostering it?"
    For more information see:
 http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=event&EveID=326

Jim Johnston

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/