Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Voice Over Internet Protocol: Who Wants It?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:28:13 -0500

Voice Over Internet Protocol: Who Wants It?

December 17, 2003

The new technology, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), is likely to cause
displacements in the market, according to new analysis by Solomon Wolff
Associates, a New Jersey-based market research firm.

"One would think that this new service, which offers unlimited calling at a
fixed monthly rate, would attract consumers who spend the most on calling.
In fact, the latest data shows that those with high traditional local and
long distance bills are more interested, but surprisingly, those with high
wireless bills are not," says Joey Wolff, a partner at Solomon Wolff

Wireless users might see VoIP as a way to reduce wireless spending, but the
study indicates that so far this has not occurred. People seem to be
interested in cutting their traditional phone costs, but they don't want to
shift from wireless back to a wired technology, even to save money.

Further, the study indicates that general awareness of VoIP was already
fairly high, before recent media coverage. More than half of those surveyed
reported that they were aware of Internet telephone service. Among those,
interest has increased consistently, up from 25 percent in January 2002 to
31 percent in July 2003.

"Consumers don't know about specific VoIP plans yet," Wolf said. "But they
do like plans with a fixed monthly charge, and they are willing have lower
quality for other benefits. If VOIP promises lower costs, this will appeal
to them rather than the technology behind it."

Analysis of the Solomon Wolff database shows that customers most likely to
try VoIP are long distance high spenders, and those who use new technology.
People who are high spenders for local phone service, or who have high
incomes are moderately interested. Wireless phone users are no more or less
interested in VoIP than an average consumer.

 http://www.wirelesstoday.com/news/1071678908.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/