Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel (In Their Own Mind)Proves FCC Has Authority to Approve "Scam Plan"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:36:36 -0500

Nextel (In Their Own Mind)Proves FCC Has Authority to Approve "Scam Plan"

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 16, 2003--Nextel Communications Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL) filed comments today with the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC) demonstrating that the regulatory body has full legal authority to approve
the radio spectrum realignment called for under the Consensus Plan. Attempts
that claim otherwise reflect a misunderstanding of the FCC's authority to govern
the public airwaves and divert attention away from the real issue at hand -
bringing an end to radio interference at 800 MHz that continues to place the
lives of public safety professionals at risk.

Lawrence R. Krevor, vice president of Government Affairs at Nextel
Communications said, "The record on this matter is clear and the voices of our
nation's first responders continue to speak loudly. The Consensus Plan will
eliminate the dangerous problem of public safety radio interference and we look
forward to CTIA rallying to the cause."
In the final weeks before the FCC resolves the matter of interference in the 800
MHz band, opponents of the Consensus Plan have unleashed a campaign of
misinformation, audaciously twisting the application of regulation to serve
their myopic interest. As part of an ex parte filing with the FCC on December 4,
2003, CTIA alleged that the Consensus Plan would violate the competitive bidding
provisions of Section 309(j) of the Communications Act of 1934.
The Consensus Plan calls for separating incompatible public safety
communications channels from commercial wireless operations, thus eliminating
interference before it occurs and providing additional spectrum capacity for
enhanced public safety communications; all at no cost to government or the
public safety community. In exchange for surrendering spectrum to make
realignment possible, Nextel would receive replacement spectrum at
1910-1915/1990-1995 MHz.
CTIA asserts the replacement spectrum is an "initial license" that must be
awarded through an auction. The record is clear, however, that the replacement
spectrum would be a modification of Nextel's existing licenses as provided for
by the FCC's statutory authority to amend licenses. The replacement licenses
would give Nextel the same rights and duties it has under its existing licenses
and is fully consistent with the FCC's prior channel swaps to achieve important
public and societal benefits.
About Nextel
Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a leading
provider of fully integrated wireless communications services and has built the
largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the country covering
thousands of communities across the United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners,
Inc., currently serve 293 of the top 300 U.S.  markets. Through recent market
launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the
U.S. where approximately 248 million people live or work.
"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of
1995. A number of the matters and subject areas discussed in this press release
that are not historical or current facts deal with potential future
circumstances and developments, including our belief as to whether the FCC will
approve the Consensus Plan, which is qualified by the inherent risks and
uncertainties surrounding any such future expectations described from time to
time in Nextel reports filed with the SEC, including Nextel's annual report on
Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2002 and in its quarterly reports on
Form 10-Q for the quarterly periods ended March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2003. This
press release speaks only as of its date, and Nextel disclaims any duty to
update the information herein.
CONTACT: Nextel Communications Inc., Reston
Media:
Tim O'Regan, 703-433-4816
or
Investors:
Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300
SOURCE: Nextel Communications Inc.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=63347&p=irol-newsArticle&t=Regular&id=478344&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/