Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC announces members of Intergovernmental Advisory Committee

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:23:24 -0500

FCC Public Notice DA  03-4033

December 18, 2003

In this Public Notice, the Federal Communications
Commission (Commission) announces the appoint-
ment of members to its Intergovernmental Advisory
Committee (IAC).  

Background

On August 27, 2003, the Commission issued a Public Notice seeking nominations
for membership on its Intergovernmental Advisory Committee (“IAC” or
“Committee”), a committee composed of local, state, and tribal officials  (see
DA 03-2749).  The IAC, formerly known as the Local and State Government Advisory
Committee (“LSGAC”) is composed of 15 elected and appointed officials of
municipal, county, state and tribal governments, according to the following
allocations: seven local, five state, and three tribal representatives.  To
ensure that all interested parties had an opportunity to apply for membership on
the Committee, the deadline for applications was extended until October 17, 2003
(see DA 03-3055).

Purpose and Functions 

The purpose of the IAC is to provide ongoing advice and information to the
Commission on a broad range of telecommunications issues of interest to state,
local and tribal governments.

During its two year term, the Committee is expected to address a number of
topics including: 

-- Homeland security and public safety issues; 

-- Matters unique to the provision of telecommunications services in rural
areas, such as broadband deployment, universal service programs, and deployment
of telecommunications services in Indian Country;

-- Barriers to competitive entry; and,

-- Cable and local franchising issues, including public rights-of-way matters.

Members

The Commission received forty- seven (47) applications for membership on the
Committee, from twenty-seven (27) states and ten (10) tribal representatives. 
After a careful review of these applications, fifteen (15) members were
appointed to the Committee.  This selected group is representative of the FCC’s
many constituencies, and the expertise and diversity of those selected is
expected to provide a balance point of view to the Commission.  In addition,
Chairman Powell has appointed Jim Dailey, Mayor, City of Little Rock, Arkansas,
as the Chairperson.  All appointments are effective immediately and shall
terminate January, 2006, or until the Committee is terminated, whichever is
earlier.

The members of the committee are:

1.  Denise M. Bode, Chairperson, Oklahoma Corporation Commission
2.  Carlito P. Caliboso, Chairman, Hawaii Public Utilities Commission
3.  Jim Dailey, Mayor, Little Rock, Arkansas (IAC Chair)
4.  Steven L. Grey, Chair, Navajo Nation Telecommunications Regulatory
Commission
5.  Jenny Hansen, Manager, Public Safety Services Office for the State of
Montana, Department of Administration
6.  Merita A. Hopkins, Corporation Counsel, City of Boston 
7.  David Jones, Director of Emergency Services, Spartanburg County Government,
South Carolina
8.  Dean Paul Kruithof, Deputy City Administrator, Fort Smith, Arkansas
9.  Frank LaGrotta, Member, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
10.  Timothy Loewenstein, Supervisor, 3rd District Buffalo County, Nebraska 
11.  Patrick Lloyd McCrory, Mayor, Charlotte, North Carolina
12.  Gary Resnick, Councilman, City of Wilton Manors, Florida
13.  Sylvester Sahme, Member, Oregon Telecommunications Coordinating Council 
14.  Randolph Townsend, Senator, Nevada State Senate
15.  J.D. Williams, General Manager, Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal Telephone
Authority 

At the first meeting, to be announced and held in early 2004, the Committee will
address matters of internal business and organization, as well as its
forthcoming work priorities.  Because the IAC discussions involve government to
government deliberations, the meetings are not open to the public. 

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:  Carmen Scanlon, Consumer & Governmental
Affairs Bureau, Federal Communications Commission, 202-418-0544 (voice) or
202-835-5322 (TTY), [email-masked] (e-mail).

- FCC –

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-4033A1.doc

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/