Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pentagon To Investigate Corruption Charges On Mobile Phone Tender In Iraq

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:03:25 -0500

Pentagon To Investigate Corruption Charges On Mobile Phone Tender In Iraq

Contributed by mmasnick on Thurs, Dec 18 2003

There has been a ton of controversy over how mobile phone companies were given
the right to build their networks in Iraq, and now the Pentagon is going to step
in and investigate the charges of corruption in awarding the rights to build a
mobile phone system. You may remember that Batelco just went ahead and built a
working mobile network in Baghdad, only to have it shut off because they hadn't
paid for a license. Batelco was then later barred from bidding on a license due
to some very strict rules. It certainly sounds sketchy.

www.techdirt.com
===================================================================================

18 Dec 2003 17:27:00 GMT
Pentagon investigates mobile phone
tenders in Iraq

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Thursday it had launched a full
investigation into the award of mobile phone tenders in Iraq, which have been
clouded in controversy because of allegations of corruption.
A Pentagon spokesman said the Pentagon's Inspector General's office had decided
to launch an investigation into the tenders after conducting a preliminary
inquiry which looked into allegations of corruption into the award of the
tenders.
((Writing by Sue Pleming, editing by Saul Hudson))

 http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/107176848084.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/