Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Elevated to High risk of terrorist attack - Code Yellow to Code Orange.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:42:43 -0500

Statement By U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge

December 21 - Today, The United States Government raised the national threat
level from an Elevated to High risk of terrorist attack - or from Code Yellow
to Code Orange. We know from experience that the increased security that is
implemented when we raise the threat level, along with increased vigilance, can
help disrupt or deter terrorist attacks.

The U.S. Intelligence Community has received a substantial increase in the
volume of threat related intelligence reports.  These credible sources suggest
the
possibility of attacks against the homeland around the holiday season and
beyond.

In addition to knowing that homeland security professionals at all levels are
working to keep our communities safe, we ask individual Americans to do a few
additional things during this time of heightened alert. I have said it before -
and I
am saying it again - homeland security begins at home. Never has that been
more true. Your awareness and vigilance can help tremendously, so please use
your common sense and report suspicious packages, vehicles, or activities to
local law enforcement.

Finally - no matter your faith or culture - now is the time of year for
important
celebrations. So, I encourage you to continue with your holiday plans. Gather
with
your family and friends and enjoy the spirit of this season. There is no doubt
that
we have a lot to be thankful for - not the least of which the opportunity to
live in
the greatest country in the world. It is a country that will not be bent by
terror. It is
a country that will not be broken by fear. But instead, we are a country blessed

with a population marked by goodwill and great resolve. We will show the
terrorists both this holiday season - goodwill toward our fellow men, readiness
and
resolve to protect our families and our freedom.

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/