Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Gets Flashier With Flarion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:40:32 -0500

Nextel Gets Flashier With Flarion
12.10.03

Nextel Communications Inc. (Nasdaq: NXTL - message board) has bitten harder on
the Flash-OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) bullet and is to
deploy more technology from alternative infrastructure startup Flarion
Technologies, following initial trials last year (see Nextel Trials Flarion's
Flash).

The move is significant for Flarion and the credibility of its gear, as Nextel
is to put the vendor's technology through its paces under real-life commercial
conditions.

In a Lehman Brothers conference call this week, Nextel president and CEO Tim
Donahue revealed the carrier is in the process of building and testing “about
150 sites in a relatively large city down south.”

Donahue was unable to confirm the exact location of the project, stating that
the priority at this stage is to test market demand for the services the
technology can deliver, and examine whether Flarion’s kit is up to the task at
hand.

OFDM is a modulation scheme that can support an average data rate of around 1.5
Mbit/s for users in a standard, PCS-sized cell site, while using only 1.25 MHz
of spectrum. This makes it approximately four or five times more spectrally
efficient than comparable 3G technologies, such as CDMA2000 or Universal Mobile
Telecommunications System (UMTS), and cheaper to implement.

“It will run anywhere between 1 Mbit/s and 2 Mbit/s -- it’s fast as hell. It is
a very impressive technology in the lab,” stressed Donahue. “We are going to
spend some dough. We are going to build this thing and put it through its paces.

"The intent here is to have a network on the air that gives you the types of
speed that broadband delivers, and to try and figure out what is the demand.
Once we better understand that, it will help us decide the rollout schedules
that we need to put in place in order to be first to market with a really
disruptive broadband technology.”

Flarion is sticking to a firm “no comment” on the Nextel situation, with senior
director of marketing and strategy Ronny Haraldsvik towing the corporate line,
though no doubt moistening his chair with excitement. “Flarion will announce
commercial customer agreements when the operators are ready to do so,” he tells
Unstrung. “In the meantime, we continue our focus on commercializing mobile
broadband in different spectrum bands and evolving the ecosystem of partners to
support wider deployments. For Flarion, 2004 is all about scaling to positive
customer demands,” he adds in full-flow marketspeak.
Flarion’s Nextel deal follows a recent cash injection by the T-Mobile Venture
Fund and adds to previous trial success in the Asian market (see Flarion Hushes
on Slush Fund). In February Korea Telecom announced plans to trial Flarion's
OFDM technology for IP-based wireless broadband services, complementing earlier
deals with SK Telecom (Nasdaq: SKM - message board) and Hanaro Telecom Inc. (see
KT Joins the Flash-OFDM Band, Flarion Doubles Down in Korea and Flarion Cookin'
Up Seoul Food).

— Justin Springham, Senior Editor, Europe, Unstrung

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=44729

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:56:24 -0000

> Nextel Gets Flashier With Flarion

Anybody have info on the 150 site Flarion trial?

I've heard its either in Orlando, Atlanta, or Charlotte.

How many devices are being used? Is MOT the exclusive subscriber 
device supplier?

It really looks like Nextel has bambozzled the CDMA crowd, via the 
exclusive arrangement with QCOM over Q-Chat and all international 
gateways.

You gotta wonder when the heated words from VZW, PCS, AT, USM, etc. 
towards QCOM start to spill over into the public dialogue?

PS. My gut tells me Nextel put the Flarion trial system in Atlanta 
to have ready for the 2004 CTIA.

---

From: "fleetconnect" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:40:21 -0000

> I've heard its either in Orlando, Atlanta, or Charlotte.

I have a customer in Raleigh that has many Nextel's tell me a few 
weeks ago his company was selected for a trial of a high speed system 
from Nextel that was faster than cable broadband.

Raleigh would be a good market for that type of service. 

Nick Long

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:55:55 -0000

Remember Timmy was in Manhattan when he made his little 

"about 150  sites in a relatively large city down south." comment. I'm twisting someones are he should say uncle soon.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 03:54:57 -0500

I'm twisting someone's ARM he should say uncle soon.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG