Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel & Public Safety : To Group or Not Group

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:44:01 EST

Don't confuse my response with an answer as to whether it is, qualifies for, 
or acts in any way like a public safety system.  I was merely answering how 
the system is used at various plants.  Nothing more.

Alan

In a message dated 12/7/2003 6:12:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:
[email-masked] wrote:

> While I'm aware of this particular plant, I don't know what use they 
> make of their radio system (I do know they have an 800 MHz Moto 
> system).  However, if their use is similar to other fabrication plants, 
> they have their own fire/rescue/hazmat team, and many of these 
> facilities have their own police force.
>  
> Alan

Alan -

I don't dispute the safety aspects of an industrial setting (especially 
since I used to work for a large defense contractor in Burbank).  But 
there is still a difference between an industrial setting and a public 
safety environment.  Even in today's wacky world, I'm not aware of too 
many industrial applications where 90 - 100 MPH pursuits go on for 
dozens of minutes over large areas, or the industrial police force is 
dealing with rampant drug use in the resident housing, complete with 
gang members using uzis to attempt to take out the security force.

My own organization uses Nextel - but we are not a first responder 
organization, and we are not using the service in lieu of a Public 
Safety radio system for essential life safety communications purposes 
over our 155,000 square mile service area.

Don