Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Q&A session at a Schwab Washington Research Group conference FCC Wireless Bureau Chief John Muleta

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:01:15 -0500

Communications Daily

Wireless-
Dec 4, 2003

In a Q&A session at a Schwab Washington Research Group conference FCC Wireless
Bureau Chief John Muleta said the Commission was examining proposals on how to
mitigate interference to public safety at 800 MHz.

"It is too early for anyone to read into it that
one approach is better than another."

 Nextel, public safety groups and others have proposed a rebanding plan at the
FCC for a spectrum swap among licensees at 700, 800 and 900 MHz and 1.9 GHz,
including an $850 million pledge from Nextel to relocate displaced incumbents.
CTIA, the United Telecom Council and others have weighed in against the plan,
arguing that best practices and other measures could be used to correct
interference problems. "I don't think that the answer is simply a technical
solution versus rebanding," Muleta said. "I think it's probably somewhere in the
middle. There's got to be some spectrum-management types of answers to this and
probably some technical-based ones." 

Factors affecting where the agency comes out include the timing of different
solutions, he said. If the FCC were to follow a path that involved rebanding and
compensation for displaced incumbents, the question it must answer would be what
form such payments should take, he said. "What we are trying to find is what's
an appropriate model for addressing this sort of compensatory system if you go
in that direction," he said. 

Muleta said that in the last several months, participants in the "consensus
plan" had submitted several changes to address areas of disagreement, including
measures Nextel said it would undertake to further secure its $850 million
funding commitment. Schwab analyst Paul Glenchur asked Muleta about Nextel's
assertion that it stood behind the plan, including the funding portion, if the
FCC accepted it in whole. Concerns have been raised as to what happens if the
cost of relocating public safety incumbents and others exceeds $850 million.
"Clearly one of the issues that we are struggling with is what if the costs
exceed this," Muleta said. The other issue has been what form such a
compensation system should take. "Clearly that is for the Commission to decide,"
he said: "It's too early for at least anybody at my level to conclude that we
are going in one direction or another on how to solve this problem." While he
said he couldn't speak for the timeline of the 5 commissioners on that item, he
said, "we are trying to come to some closure on that in the next quarter."

 Communications Daily
 http://www.warren-news.com/cdtrial.htm

Or "Scam Plan" Website
http://www.consensusplan.org/plugin/template/consensus/21/1607

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/