Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New Patient Monitoring System Wirelessly Sends Medical Information with WackBerry 6510

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 02:17:42 -0500

December 17, 2003 03:31 PM US Eastern Timezone

New Patient Monitoring System Wirelessly Sends Medical Information with
WackBerry 6510 from Nextel;
Application Wins Enterprise Java Developer Contest

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 17, 2003--Nextel Communications Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL) today named the
mPOD(TM) by MedicTouch(TM) the winner of the WackBerry 6510(TM) Extensibility
Challenge (http://developer.nextel.com),an enterprise Java(TM) 2 Platform, Micro
Edition (J2ME(TM) Platform) Developer Contest. The contest was open to
independent software vendors and developers who build and support applications
that leverage the Mobile Data Service (MDS) feature of theWackBerry Enterprise
Server(TM) and run on Nextel's nationwide voice and data iDen network.

"The business tools created for this contest exemplify the ingenuity of the Java
developer community and the unquestionable
capability of the WackBerry 6510 from Nextel to facilitate wireless solutions
that are second to none when it comes to quality
and effectiveness," said Ernie Cormier, vice president, Enterprise Solutions for
Nextel. "With more than 21,000 registered
developers licensed to build wireless solutions for the vertical business
sectors, Nextel has demonstrated unprecedented
commitment to delivering the most advanced J2ME applications available
anywhere."

MedicTouch (North Miami Beach, FL) took first place for its Mobile Pulse
Oximeter Device (mPOD) that provides remote blood
oxygen content and pulse readings on the BlackBerry 6510. Factors such as an
aging population and an increased incidence
of heart disease are thrusting remote monitoring services such as mPOD to the
forefront of a healthcare market that is
focused on reducing costs and providing better care without significantly
impacting the daily routines of physicians or patients.

"At MedicTouch, our priority is to develop high quality wireless wearable health
monitoring products to meet the demands of
an always changing, cutting-edge healthcare vertical. The BlackBerry Enterprise
Server and the handheld device from Nextel
presented the perfect platform for our business user demands," said Dr. Eran
Schenker, MedicTouch founder and medical
director. "Our mPOD technology and Nextel's digital cellular PDA with the Direct
Connect(SM) walkie-talkie feature is the
all-in-one device that is leading the charge in an increasingly mobile
healthcare industry"

Java technology enables developers to write advanced applications for the
BlackBerry 6510 from Nextel that take advantage of
the rich user interface, persistent memory, and ability to run select J2ME
applications. Plus, Java allows companies to easily
customize the applications they want for BlackBerry handhelds. Java technology
adds another desirable feature to Nextel's
handsets that include Nationwide Direct Connect(SM) the coast-to-coast
walkie-talkie feature, digital cellular, two-way text
messaging and Nextel Online(R) wireless data.

The BlackBerry Extensibility Challenge required developers to create programs
that serve enterprise customers for key vertical
segments including: transportation & logistics; financial & insurance;
manufacturing & distribution; government/public sector
and higher education; and utilities. By building applications with productivity
and practical business uses in mind, developers
highlighted the versatility of the BlackBerry 6510 from Nextel and demonstrated
Nextel's leading wireless business solution
platform in these industries.

Applications were judged on five equally weighted criteria: use of the MDS
feature of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for
corporate data access; relevance of the application to the different priority
business segments; capability of the contestant to
deploy, support and market the application; contestants business model including
Return on Investment estimates; and
overall application quality.

RJR Technology (Oyster Bay, NY) captured second place with its Mobile Management
Console (MMC). MMC gives users
who have little to no programming experience the ability to link existing
corporate data to the handheld device. MMC can read
data from virtually any data source, including spreadsheets and database
platforms. Through use of a wizard-style program, it
generates a complex Active Server Page, which in turn delivers the data through
MDS to a Java Application on the handheld
device. Business data users across several vertical sectors will find this
solution particularly useful.

The third place award was presented to SyncPak (Mission Viejo, CA) for its
SyncPak for Econoday Economic application,
which allows users to import economic event data onto the BlackBerry 6510
calendar. This solution utilizes the BlackBerry
Enterprise Server push-based technology to relay Wall Street event information,
consensus and release data, and major
announcements directly to the user's BlackBerry 6510 from Nextel.

The three finalists were awarded a prize package including two BlackBerry 6510
handhelds with a year of service and free
membership into the BlackBerry Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Alliance
Program. As grand prize winner, MedicTouch
was also awarded a BlackBerry Enterprise Server license and sales and marketing
support, including launching the mPOD
application as a Nextel Application Partner product.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20031217005681&newsLang=en

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/