Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FEMA on BPL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:18:33 -0500

FEMA on BPL

Docket 03-104

December 4, 2003

FEMA: BROADBAND OVER POWER LINES WOULD HARM HF RADIO

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has told the Federal
Communications Commission in a filing that broadband over power line
systems would create harmful interference for high-frequency radio
systems.

FEMA said BPL systems use radio frequency energy on "unshielded and
unbalanced" transmission lines, resulting in the "unavoidable radiation"
of RF energy. FEMA's National Radio System is a high-frequency system
that is the primary command and control backup communications media for
the agency. It also interfaces with other federal departments and
agencies specified by FEMA's Federal Response Plan, which coordinates
federal assistance and resources in the event of major disasters and
emergencies.

According to the filing, NRS radio stations normally are located in
residential areas that would be serviced by BPL systems. In addition,
stations maintained by the Civil Air Patrol and the Radio Amateur Civil
Emergency Service are similarly situated and would be affected in a like
manner. "The interference ... would render these essential
communications services useless," the filing said.

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6515292045

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/