Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vanu Software on HP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:00:01 -0500

Multiple Wireless Networks on a Single Platform
17th December , 2003
US : Vanu Software on HP
Standards-Based Platforms Enables
Mobile Operators to Add Support for
Different Wireless Network Standards
at Minimal Cost and Risk

Vanu, Inc. and HP announced that
Mid-Tex Cellular will be the first mobile
operator to deploy a powerful software
solution that can run multiple wireless
networks on a single hardware
platform.

Inset shows the communications tower
in DeLeon, Texas.

With the Vanu Software Radio™
solution, Mid-Tex Cellular will overlay
its existing TDMA-based wireless
network with a new GSM/GPRS-based system -- by installing a radio
access network (RAN) composed of HP servers and Vanu software.

The Vanu solution can provide, on a single hardware platform,
simultaneous support for many combinations of the world's wireless
network protocols, including GSM/GPRS, EDGE, TDMA, AMPS, and
coming third-generation, or 3G, standards, such as WCDMA. In
contrast, conventional wireless infrastructure requires dedicated
hardware for each supported standard.

For mobile operators, the key business benefits of the Vanu Software
Radio solution are a greatly enhanced ability to upgrade to new and
faster wireless network standards with minimal risk and reduced
capital and operating expense. It also enables a carrier to use the
radio spectrum in a more flexible and efficient manner.

"Software defined radio is a critical technology for lowering the cost
and complexity of future wireless systems," said Philip Marshall,
director of Wireless and Mobile Technology Research, Yankee Group.
"SDR is becoming increasingly important for service providers and
equipment vendors as they look to roll out next-generation
technologies and maximize profitability."

Mid-Tex Cellular initiated a trial deployment in June to test the
commercial viability of a software-based GSM/GPRS wireless network.
The successful trial validated that Vanu Software Radio was ready for
commercial deployment and demonstrated that significant cost
savings are achievable. HP is providing consulting and integration
services as well as one of its standards-based carrier-grade
platforms, HP ProLiant servers running the Linux operating system.

Phased installation of the Vanu Software Radio-based network is
scheduled to begin early in 2004, with the complete rollout of a
24-site system scheduled for completion by the end of 2004. Mid-Tex
Cellular expects to upgrade the RAN in mid-2004 to include support
for EDGE-based networks.

"We put a tremendous amount of faith in Vanu and HP and they
delivered," said Toney Prather, chief executive officer, Mid-Tex
Cellular. "I am convinced that Vanu's radio technology will offer rural
carriers such as Mid-Tex Cellular a new business model that will allow
us to deliver leading-edge wireless services to our customers."
Prather also described the speed of deployment, "In just over 12
months, we went from a white board discussion in Boston to a live,
working system in DeLeon. At the time, I'm not sure anyone thought
it could be done."

Mid-Tex Cellular serves wireless subscribers in a large rural area
bounded by Dallas, Abilene, Waco and San Angelo, Texas. The
operator depends on roaming traffic, and so must be ready to support
different network standards.

"Software-defined radio is a technology that has the potential to alter
the landscape of future wireless networks," said Dr. Vanu Bose, chief
executive officer and founder, Vanu. "Mid-Tex Cellular is an innovative
operator that clearly understands the business value of building a
software-based multi-protocol wireless infrastructure, and I believe
our solution will enable Mid-Tex Cellular to be a much stronger, more
agile competitor."

"Vanu's breakthrough software radio technology and HP's 25 years
experience in wireline and wireless networks is clearly a winning
combination," said Marco Limena, vice president, Network and Service
Provider Solutions, HP. "The success at Mid-Tex Cellular illustrates
how modular, standards-based building blocks, combined with
powerful, innovative software from companies like Vanu, can combine
to increase customer agility and reduce cost and risk."

In addition to Vanu software and HP platforms, the Mid-Tex Cellular
network will be deployed with ADC's Digivance radio-over-fiber
solution and a TELOS Sonata SE softswitch, both of which were key
components of the trial system.
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Dec2003/6250.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/