Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New Notice: FCC requires BDA >> USERS<< toi have licenses.

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:58:45 -0800

There has been debates in several groups over the last year as to
whether BDA USERS needed licenses or not.

Some manufacturers, importers and distributors have been telling BDA
customers they do not need a license to USE BDA's.   

Those who are familiar with the rules say the FCC requires signal
booster USERS to have a FCC license for the channels they want the
signal booster to amplify, or legal approval from the appropriate FCC
licensee.

The proper term the FCC used for BDA's is "signal boosters" and there
are very specific rules concerning the USE of them to booster cellular,
Nextel, public safety or other signals.

Today I received a statement from the FCC that should end this debate.
It is posted below. It is very clear.

So there would be no additional incorrect 'interpretations' of the FCC
rules,
I posed my questions as a typical BDA user who wants to but and install
a BDA to be used with their cellular or Nextel handsets.

PLEASE re-post this in any group where this issue has been discussed.
PLEASE forward this to the manufacturers, importers, distributors and
dealers who have been giving bad advice to their customers.

Maybe the unlicensed end users who are now at risk of being fined by the
FCC will get their money back?

Jack Daniel
=======================================================

Subject: FCC Consumer Center response from representative TSR15
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 08:09:50 -0500 (EST)
From: FCCInfo <[email-masked]>
Organization: FCC
To:  [email-masked]

You are receiving this email in response to your inquiry to the FCC on
12/9/2003 8:09:45 AM.

Hello Mr. Daniels,

Signal Boosters Bi-Directional Amplifiers or BDA's are only permitted
for use by licensee's only. 

Please see the FCC Rules and Regulations CFR 47 Part 22.527.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/rules.html

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=22&SECTION=527&YEAR=2002&TYPE=TEXT

Best Regards,
Donna
GCC15
-------------------------------

Subject: Do I need a license ?
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:46:40 -0700
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 

I want to buy two signal boosters (also called Bi-Directional Amplifiers
or BDA's) and install them in office buildings.

One signal booster will be used for cellular system handsets.

One signal booster will be used for Nextel handsets.

These signal boosters will not be used for any other purpose.

Someone told me I needed a license (or permission from the cellular
company and Nextel) to operate these signal boosters on cellular and
Nextel channels.

Some manufacturers say I don't have to have a license.

Do I need a license (or the licensees permission) to operate signal
boosters on cellular and Nextel channels?

If I'm supposed to have a license, what is the penalty if I don't get a
license (or the licensee's permission) to operate a signal booster on
cellular or Nextel channels?

Since I own handsets on both these systems doesn't that also give me the
right to amplify these signals as much as I want without a license of
any kind?

Thanks,
Jack Daniel
[email-masked] 
===================================

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:59:39 -0500

Finally a straight answer!   And it is "NO"!~

Jack Daniel wrote:

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:09:58 -0000

Looks very close to the same answer that I received from the FCC a 
few months ago.

Unfortunately those on the "other groups" have their minds made up 
that anyone can operate one and you can't confuse them with the 
facts....even if it does come from the Federal Government.

Mark

--- In [email-masked], Jack Daniel <JackDaniel@R...> wrote:
> From: FCCInfo <FCCInfo@f...>
> Organization: FCC
> To:  jackdaniel@r...
> 
> http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?
TITLE=47&PART=22&SECTION=527&YEAR=2002&TYPE=TEXT
> From: Jack Daniel <JackDaniel@R...>
> To: fccinfo@f... 
> 
> JackDaniel@j...