Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Report Available--Radio Revolution: The Coming Age of Unlicensed Wireless]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:19:48 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Barranca [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Michael Calabrese
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 9:24 AM
Subject: Report Available--Radio Revolution: The Coming Age of
Unlicensed Wireless

Dear Colleagues,

At our recent conference, New America's Spectrum Policy Program released
a groundbreaking report on innovative, smart radio technologies that
allow for dynamic sharing of the airwaves. Radio Revolution: The Coming
Age of Unlicensed Wireless, by Kevin Werbach (former FCC Counsel for New
Technology Policy), examines the economic, social and political
implications of software-defined radio, such as Wi-Fi and other wireless
standards that use the unlicensed spectrum bands.  

The report is available free of charge as an Adobe PDF at
http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&pubID=1427.

Opinion leaders from both the left and the right have seen the power of
unlicensed spectrum to foster innovation and growth while also providing
increased citizen access to the airwaves using the technologies of the
Radio Revolution. The December 4th conference -- hosted by the New
America Foundation and Public Knowledge -- featured a roundtable of
spectrum policy experts, including George Gilder (Gilder Technology
Report); Kevin Kahn (Intel, Senior Fellow); Cory Doctorow (Electronic
Frontier Foundation) and Anthony Townsend (NYCwireless.net and
Emenity.com).  As Kevin Werbach writes in the introduction to Radio
Revolution:

		The radio revolution is the single greatest
communications policy issue of the coming decade, and perhaps the coming
century. The economics of entire industries could be transformed. Every
significant public policy challenge could be implicated: competition;
innovation; investment; diversity of programming; job creation; equality
of access; coverage for rural and underserved areas; and promotion of
education, health care, local communities, public safety, and national
security. Yet the benefits of the paradigm shift are not guaranteed.
Exploiting the radio revolution will require creativity and risk-taking
by both the private and public sectors. At every step, there will be
choices between preserving the status quo and unleashing the forces of
change. The right answers will seem obvious only in hindsight.

Radio Revolution and other New America Foundation Spectrum Policy
Program reports, papers, FCC Comments and Testimony are available at
<http://www.spectrumpolicy.org>. We hope you find this new report
useful, and we welcome your feedback.  

Thanks for your interest,

Michael Calabrese
Vice President & Director, Spectrum Policy Program
New America Foundation
[email-masked]

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/