Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO URGES CAUTION ON SMART RADIO EFFORTS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:42:42 -0500

APCO URGES CAUTION ON SMART RADIO EFFORTS

December 18, 2003 , Washington , DC – The Association of Public Safety
Communications
Officials (APCO) International responded today to the Federal Communications
Commission’s
(FCC) public notice initiating a proceeding on cognitive “smart” radio systems
(ET Docket
03-108) released yesterday.

Smart radios have the potential to help address serious interoperability
problems now facing
many public safety users. However, the technology, if initiated prematurely or
without sufficient
safeguards, could also create dangerous interference to existing public safety
systems. Thus,
APCO International has grave concerns about any effort to rush smart radio
technology to
market, and urges the FCC to proceed with extreme caution.

“APCO continues to question the viability and reliability of such technology,
but welcomes this
Commission inquiry to gather further information,” APCO International President
Vincent Stile
said. “We encourage the FCC to explore these developing technologies, which may
have the
potential to improve public safety communications.”

The FCC suggests that smart radios might also provide public safety agencies
with the ability to
lease portions of their radio spectrum during “quiet periods,” and then reclaim
it in emergency
situations. As APCO International recently indicated in a separate proceeding,
allowing public
safety agencies to lease portions of their spectrum on a commercial basis could
also lead to
serious spectrum management problems.

“The feasibility and reliability of the technology that would make such leasing
possible must also
be very carefully reviewed in the FCC’s current proceeding,” Stile said.
http://apco911.org/news/SmartRadio.htm

****************************

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/