Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Committee sets aside $2 million for SAFE-T

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 15:14:25 -0500

Committee sets aside $2 million for SAFE-T

U.S. Senator Evan Bayh recently announced that the Transportation Appropriations
Conference Committee has included $2 million in funding for the State of Indiana
to further implement its integrated statewide emergency radio system. The
updated radio system will allow first responders from across Indiana to
communicate on the same wavelengths during a large-scale emergency.

"Indiana has been a national leader in developing an integrated, statewide
emergency communications system," Bayh said. "It is important that we continue
to provide our first responders with the equipment they need to respond to
emergencies, and I am pleased to bring this funding back to Indiana so that we
can move forward in implementing Hoosier SAFE-T."

The funds from the Department of Transportation will be used to help local
communities with the costs of constructing radio towers and other communication
enhancements that will allow for greater information sharing between law
enforcement, emergency medical and fire officials throughout Indiana. The state
initiated the effort to replace an outdated radio system that hampered statewide
communication and a coordinated response between emergency personnel.

Bayh has worked with Senator Richard Lugar and Congressman Pete Visclosky, along
with the late Governor Frank O'Bannon, to garner federal support for Project
Hoosier SAFE-T (Safety Acting for Everyone--Together). Project Hoosier SAFE-T
received national attention when representatives from the Indiana State Police
were invited to address a national symposium on Intelligent Transportation
Systems (ITS) that was sponsored by the U.S.  Department of Transportation and
ITS America. Project Hoosier SAFE-T was one of only two programs featured at the
conference for its successful integration of public safety needs with
communication systems.

Over the past four years, Senator Bayh has delivered more than $12.5 million to
Indiana for Hoosier SAFE-T.
http://www.warricknews.com/articles/2003/11/26/news/07committee.txt

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/