Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TIA Moderates Panel at Congressional Research Service Workshop on Public Safety Communications Interoperability Technology

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:54:19 -0500

TIA Moderates Panel at Congressional Research Service Workshop on Public Safety
Communications Interoperability Technology

On November 17, at the request of Congress, the Congressional Research Service
(CRS) hosted a workshop at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., focusing
on the more advanced technologies used for providing interoperable
communications to first responders. Attendees included staff members from the
U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate – the House Homeland Security,
Energy and Commerce, Government Reform and Appropriations Committees and the
Senate Judiciary, Commerce, Science and Transportation, and Appropriations
Committees.

The opening session commenced with a presentation on the National Institute of
Justice's Advanced Generation of Interoperability for Law Enforcement (AGILE)
Program and was followed by a vendor panel discussing the interaction between
technology and standards moderated by TIA's Dan Bart, senior vice president,
standards and special projects. The closing session included equipment
demonstrations.

Speakers, panelists and exhibitors included representatives from the U.S.
Department of Justice; American National Standards Institute (ANSI);
Raytheon JPS Communications; Motorola; M/A-COM, Inc.; TRANSCRYPT International;
Thales Communications, Inc.; and TIA.

The official attendance for November 17 workshop was 32 congressional staffers,
two from the General Accounting Office and four CRS staff, and positive feedback
received by CRS from senior staffers in attendance. It is anticipated that there
will be a number of productive initiatives inspired by the workshop and it has
been suggested that the panel be reconvened in Spring 2004 to discuss
specifically the connection between spectrum and technology for
interoperability.

Being asked to moderate this event was an important opportunity for TIA. It
demonstrates that members of Congress identify TIA as the industry expert in
interoperable communications equipment for America's first responders, and
ensures that our input will be sought and included in any future debates that
occur on this issue on Capitol Hill.

For more information, contact John Derr at (703) 907-7791, email
[email-masked] or Jon Beamer at (703) 907-7705, email
[email-masked].
http://pulse.tiaonline.org/article.cfm?id=1883

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/