Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: The President's Spectrum Policy Initiative Moves Forward- One-Day Spectrum Efficiency and New Technology Forum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:34:44 -0500

As usual we have to ask, where do consumers fit into these panel
discussions?  Clearly, nowhere.  When will the FCC and the NTIA return to
serving their key constituency, the public (47 USC §151)??  Apparently,
we have learned little from recent history.  If those concerned are truly
interested in a quicker economic recovery in the wireless
telecommunications sector, then policy makers and industry alike will
have to steer clear of the "Build-it-and-they-will-come" stagnancy.

Alan Dixon
"The Industry Iconoclast"
Contributing Editor
Popular Communications

--------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: "NEXTEL-1" <[email-masked]>, 
WFHSG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:11:48 -0500
Subject: The President's Spectrum Policy Initiative Moves Forward-
One-Day Spectrum Efficiency and New Technology Forum

Billing Code: 3510-60-P

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
National Telecommunications and Information Administration
Notice, One-Day Spectrum Efficiency and New Technology Forum
AGENCY: National Telecommunications and Information Administration, U.S.
Department of Commerce

ACTION: Notice of Public Meeting
SUMMARY: The U.S. Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications
and
Information Administration
(NTIA) will host a one-day spectrum efficiency and new technology forum.
The
first panel will discuss incentives for
more efficient and beneficial spectrum use and cover such topics as
defining
efficiency, comparing efficiency to
effectiveness, measuring methods of efficiency, and identifying policies
to
achieve efficient spectrum use. The second
panel will discuss the development of new and expanded services and
technologies
that improve efficiency and streamline
technology deployment. Both panels will feature participation from
representatives of key industries and organizations
that use spectrum, economists and analysts, technologists and futurists,
equipment manufacturers, and experts from
government and academia.

DATES: The forum will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday,
December
9, 2003.

ADDRESSES: The Spectrum Efficiency and New Technology Forum will be held
at the
U.S. Department of
Commerce, 1401 Constitution Avenue, N.W., Room 4830, Washington, D.C.
(The
entrance to the Department of
Commerce is on 14th Street between Constitution and Pennsylvania
Avenues.) All
events are open to the public. To
facilitate entry into the Department of Commerce, please have a photo
identification and/or U.S. Government building
pass, if applicable.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Joe Gattuso, NTIA Office of Policy
Analysis and
Development, at
(202) 482-1880, or electronic mail: [email-masked]. Please direct
media
inquiries to the Office of Public Affairs,
NTIA, at (202) 482-7002.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: This forum is one in a series of discussions
to
implement the President’s
Spectrum Policy Initiative, which will result in recommendations to the
Administration for improving spectrum
management policies and procedures. On May 29, 2003, the President signed
a
Presidential Memorandum outlining the
Administration’s initiative for spectrum management reform. The President
established the “Spectrum Policy Initiative” to
promote the development and implementation of a U.S. spectrum policy for
the
21st century. He directed the Secretary
of Commerce to chair the initiative, which includes two courses of
spectrum-related activity, one based on an interagency
task force and the other on a series of public meetings. The Department
of
Commerce will develop recommendations for
revising policies and procedures to promote more efficient and beneficial
use of
spectrum without harmful interference to
incumbent users.

NTIA will provide additional information about the forum in the near
future on
its home page at www.ntia.doc.gov.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION: The panel discussions will be open to the public
and press
on a first-come, first-served
basis. Space is limited. Due to security requirements and to facilitate
entry to
the Department of Commerce building,
attendees must present photo identification and/or a U.S. Government
building
pass, if applicable, and should arrive at
least one-half hour ahead of the panel sessions. The public meeting is
physically accessible to people with disabilities.
Any member of the public wishing to attend and requiring special
services, such
as sign language interpretation or other
ancillary aids, should contact Joe Gattuso at (202) 482-1880 or at
[email-masked], at least three (3) days prior to
the meeting.

Dated: 11-18-2003

Kathy D. Smith
Chief Counsel, National Telecommunications and Information Administration

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/