Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Massachuetts using Nextel & GPS for snow plow tracking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:05:09 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Massachuetts using Nextel & GPS for snow plow tracking

I wonder how many plow dreivers are using Nextel TODAY?

Since the deal was just signed 12/5, shances are few if any of the new
handsets are in service.

The Mass Highway department mamagers should immedialetly survey the snow
plow operator using ANY kind of Nextel handset during the current snow
storms to see if they are getting adequate coverage during the current
emergency.

Anyone have a head count on how many Nextel sites have gone down and for
how long?

As I recall, the cellular industry (via CTIA) has alrady gone on record
that their inability to provide service due to a power ourage is to be
accepted as a 'normal' situation inder such circumstances. This was in
resonse to loss of service during the east coast black out.

I guess we shouldn't expect emergemncy communications during an
emrrgency.

But I may be wrong........
Jack Daniel
=========================================

Bill Smith wrote:
> 
> That's exactly what we are having this weekend. The Eastern part of
> Mass has
> gotten upwards of 18" of snow and trees and power lines are down all
> over.
> Something like 50,000 customers was one report I heard.
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:33:24 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "A10382" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: Massachuetts using Nextel & GPS for snow plow tracking

Jack,

You are not wrong:
        The industry already recognized the limitation of the infrastructure 
        to meet peak demands - particularly during wide area emergencies,

        Nextel has already - albeit subtly - recognized the same by providing
        'priority access' for PS agencies.  

This 'priority access' is not a 'feature' - it's a clever marketing ploy to get
around the fact that their system will never be built out to handle the maximum
expected loads during wide area disasters and/or outages.  

Doing so would mean that the system would normally operate at a relatively low
percentage of its capacity -- something that may represent good engineering
design but not something that's conducive to maximizing profits.

There's nothing inherently evil in maximizing financial returns - as long as you
view the system and its infrastructure as NOT being one designed for assurance
of safety critical communications.
======

-------