Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Reaching new heights 12/10

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:16:38 -0500

Reaching new heights 12/10

By DEREK CLAY

Managing Editor

LEBANON -- It's no longer just a tall tale -- the tall tower erected yesterday
at the Boone County Jail will help the Boone County Communications Center reach its
goal of providing better communications, and better officer safety, for all law
enforcement agencies.

The new tower, standing 257 feet -- equivalent to a 22-story building, reaches
100 feet higher than the old tower and is one of the first steps in the county's
goal of enhancing its communication system.

"This is being done in conjunction with Indiana's Project Safety which will
allow officers from around state who use an 800 megahertz system to use our tower and
transmit to another officer," said Boone County Sheriff's Department Major Jeff
Keller.

Keller said the department hopes to install its own 800 MHz system in the
future, once funding is available. He estimated the cost at about $2.1 million. The move

would bring the county in line with other counties using such a system and would
allow better coverage and other features for local law enforcement agencies.

"That's long term," Keller said. "This is something we've been working on for
2-3 years. We will continue using the current radio system until the funds are
available."

The old tower will be dismantled and the equipment it holds will be moved to the

new tower. The added height, said Keller, will allow the county to reach
locations with radio communication that previously could not be reached, and will likely
enhance the transmissions of areas that are currently accessible.

Keller said the enhancement is not mandatory, but is rather a voluntary measure
by the county to improve officer safety and communications.

The new tower is the tallest that could be constructed in the area due to the
flight paths of nearby airports.

http://www.reporter.net/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=17676?lr_story

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/