Subject: [NEXTEL-1] OnStar's Scare Tactics

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:20:55 -0500

OnStar's Scare Tactics
Link to article in Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2003/11/26/cz_jf_1126feat.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Evan Platt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:46:09 -0800

> http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2003/11/26/cz_jf_1126feat.html

All that needs to be done is for a hacker to figure out how to call into
the phone and unlock the doors, and maybe even start the car...

Assuming the FBI isn't wiretapping your phone at the time.

Evan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:54:58 -0500

It has already been done, that is why I opt out Onstar and commercially
available telematics. There are several groups who write code  "after market"
telematics programs and use whatever air interface you like.

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 05:22:43 -0000

> telematics programs and use whatever air interface you like.

Yeah, and considering that OnStar is an AMPS system, this ain't 
rocket science.

Marcel,
Since OnStar is a GeneralMotors multi-carrier MVNO, what I'm looking 
forward to is the evitable clash between Nextel and GM within the 
NASCAR world. Nextel is on the hook for $70m/yr and GM is pumping 
close to $400m/yr in the aggregate.

Who do you think will win that battle?
Who do you think will make it nasty?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 02:37:11 -0500

> Who do you think will win that battle?

GM has more cash, more heat than. Nextel
.
Nextel Sr. Management is collapsing
Morggie, The Boost CEO and Now Craig
all putting distance between themselves and
Nextel to Limit their liability.

> Who do you think will make it nasty?

Nextel of course. Timmy takes nasty lessons.