Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC denies requests to postpone 900 MHz SMR auction

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:17:06 -0500

FCC denies requests to postpone 900 MHz SMR auction
By Emily Motsay
December 16 13:16:00, 2003

The Federal Communications Commissions’ Auction No. 55 of Specialized Mobile
Radio service licenses in the 900 MHz
band will take place as scheduled Feb. 11, 2004, despite requests for a
postponement from the United Telecom Council
and Southern Communications Service Inc.

UTC and Southern Communications requested the auction be postponed until the 800
MHz issue can be resolved, saying
uncertainty around the 800 MHz band makes it difficult for 900 MHz bidders to
develop business plans with regard to
spectrum, which would be in conflict with the Communications Act.

The FCC disagreed, claiming the public interest would be better served if the
auction commenced as scheduled. “We do
not believe that the statutory requirement to provide prospective bidders with
time to develop a business plan and
evaluate the availability of equipment requires the Commission to postpone an
auction until every external factor that
might influence a bidder’s business plan is resolved with absolute certainty,”
read the FCC’s decision.

As previously announced, the auction will include licenses in the 896-901 MHz
and 935-940 MHz bands.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16273

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/