Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VoIP Likely To See 'Light Touch' Federal Regulation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:27:00 -0500

VoIP Likely To See 'Light Touch' Federal Regulation

It is becoming increasingly clear that federal regulators will impose some
type of regulation on Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), but exactly what
form that regulation will take remains undecided. Indeed, it is TelecomWeb's
view that the carefully couched sentiments expressed by policymakers during
Monday's day-long VoIP forum at FCC headquarters in Washington, D.C., serve
as signals to the telecom industry that the commission will begin regulating
VoIP sometime within the next 18-24 months.

Even so, it is highly unlikely VoIP will be regulated in the same manner as
traditional wireline telephony services. Indeed, the catch phrase most often
repeated at Monday's forum was "light touch" -- which seemed to supplant the
phrase "hands-off" -- in describing how the FCC should and would regulate
VoIP.

"We don't come early to this issue, and it is increasingly apparent that
commission action is needed soon," FCC Commissioner Michael Copps told the
gathering. "It's no slam dunk that the old rules even apply."

That view was echoed by FCC Chairman Michael Powell: "Let no regulatory
prescription be ordered without first showing it's needed," Powell said,
adding that the VoIP forum was merely the first step in a review process
that is expected to last at least a year. Powell said he wanted to begin a
rulemaking on VoIP later this month, but sources inside the FCC tell
TelecomWeb not to expect a formal notice until sometime in January or
February.

 http://www.wirelesstoday.com/news/1070388406.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/