Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Safety and Internet Leaders Connect on 911

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:48:16 -0500

Public Safety and Internet Leaders Connect on 911
Monday December 1, 8:05 am ET

National Emergency Number Association and VoIP leaders forge
agreement to provide access to emergency service for VoIP users

WASHINGTON, Dec. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The National Emergency Number Association
(NENA) and members of the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) industry have
forged an agreement on key elements for providing emergency 911 service to VoIP
users.

The companies and organizations listed in the attachment (Attachment A) endorse
the principles in the agreement. Additional VoIP vendors and providers are
encouraged to join this effort.
NENA and the companies have agreed upon the following action items:

* For service to customers using phones that have the functionality and
appearance of conventional telephones, 911 emergency services access will be
provided (at least routing to a Public Safety Access Point (PSAP) 10-digit
number) within a reasonable time (three to six months), and prior to that time
inform customers of the lack of such access.

* When a communications provider begins selling in a particular area, it should
discuss with the local PSAPs or their coordinator the approach to providing
access. This obligation does not apply to any "roaming" by customers.

* Support for current NENA and industry work towards an interim solution that
includes (a) delivery of 911 call through the existing 911 network, (b)
providing callback number to the PSAP, and (c) in some cases, initial location
information.

* Support for current NENA and industry work towards long-term solutions that
include (a) delivery of 911 calls to the proper PSAP, (b) providing callback
number/recontact information to the PSAP, (c) providing location of caller; and
(d) PSAPs having direct IP connectivity.

* Support for an administrative approach to maintaining funding of 911 resources
at a level equivalent to those generated by current or evolving funding
processes.

* Development of consumer education projects involving various industry
participants and NENA public education committee members to create suggested
materials so that consumers are fully aware of 911 capabilities and issues.

By this agreement, NENA and the Internet communications industry have
demonstrated the ability for public safety and industry to work together
effectively on a voluntary basis, forging an agreement on 911 that will protect
the interests of consumers, businesses and emergency personnel. The agreement
recognizes the growing potential of VoIP and the universal need for consistent
and reliable access to emergency services.

A not-for-profit corporation, the National Emergency Number Association (NENA)
is the only
organization dedicated solely to the study, advancement, and implementation of
9-1-1 as America's
universal emergency number. For more information, visit www.nena.org

The VoIP industry was represented by the Voice on the Net (VON) Coalition
(www.von.org), which has worked with policymakers on behalf of the VoIP industry
since 1996. Several individual companies also participated in the discussions,
including 8x8, AT&T Consumer Services, BroadSoft, dialPad, ITXC, Level 3
Communications LLC, Level 3 Enhanced Services, PointOne, pulver.com, Vonage and
Webley.
ATTACHMENT A

Agreement Signatories
8x8
AT&T Consumer Services
Broadsoft
dialPad
ITXC
Level 3 Communications LLC
Level 3 Enhanced Services
PointOne
pulver.com
Voice on the Net (VON) Coalition
Vonage
Webley
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031201/nym054_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/