Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fwd: FCC Appointment

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:32:45 -0000

[email-masked]

--- In [email-masked], "Gill Lineberry" <glineberry@p...> wrote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE				NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
December 18, 2003					
	David Fiske (202) 418-0513

NEXTEL COMMUNICATIONS PRESIDENT & CEO TIMOTHY DONAHUE
TO CHAIR NEW NETWORK RELIABILITY AND INTEROPERABILITY COUNCIL

Washington, DC – FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell today announced that 
Timothy M. Donahue, President and Chief Executive Officer of Nextel 
Communications Inc, will assume the chairmanship of the newly re-
chartered Network Reliability and Interoperability Council (NRIC 
VII).

Chairman Powell said, "The Network Reliability and Interoperability 
Council has a long history of bringing the industry together to 
develop practical methods for improving the robustness and integrity 
of our Nation's telecommunications networks and services. I am 
delighted that a man of Tim Donahue's experience and forward 
thinking expertise will be taking over the chairmanship of this 
important committee as it turns its attention to emergency and E911 
services."

Mr. Donahue has served as President and Chief Executive Officer of 
Nextel Communications, Inc. since August 1999. He began his career 
with Nextel in January 1996 as President and Chief Operating 
Officer.   Before joining Nextel, Mr. Donahue held executive 
positions with AT&T Wireless Services and McCaw Cellular 
Communications.  He is a graduate of John Carroll University.

NRIC VII is being charted for a term from January 6, 2004 to January 
6, 2006. In addition to continuing the work of previous Councils, 
NRIC VII will bring a new focus to the systems engineering aspects 
of emergency services. Mr. Donahue is the first wireless company 
executive to chair an NRIC panel. 

Donahue said, "I am honored to accept Chairman Powell's invitation 
to chair the Council for the coming term. These challenging times 
require that all stakeholders in the telecommunications sector 
continue to work cooperatively to serve the public interest by 
ensuring the integrity of our nation's communications 
infrastructure." 

The role of the NRIC is to develop recommendations for the 
Commission and the telecommunications industry to insure optimal 
reliability, security, interoperability and interconnectivity of, 
and accessibility to, public telecommunications networks and the 
Internet.  NRIC VII will work on traditional reliability issues with 
a strong emphasis on national security.  

The Council's members are senior representatives of providers and 
users of telecommunications services and products, including 
telecommunications carriers, the satellite, cable television, 
wireless and computer industries, trade associations, labor and 
consumer representatives, manufacturers, research organizations and 
government-related organizations.

- FCC -
--- End forwarded message ---

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/