Subject: [NEXTEL-1] COMMERCE DEPARTMENT INVITES SCIENTISTS, EXPERTS AND PUBLIC TO PROVIDE INPUT ON IMPROVING MANAGEMENT OF AIRWAVES

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:22:35 -0500

For Immediate Release
November 18, 2003
Contact: Clyde Ensslin or
Ranjit de Silva, 202-482-7002

COMMERCE DEPARTMENT INVITES SCIENTISTS, EXPERTS AND PUBLIC TO PROVIDE INPUT ON
IMPROVING MANAGEMENT OF AIRWAVES

National Academy of Sciences to Team with NTIA in February Public Meeting
The Commerce Department's National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA) today announced a series of public meetings designed to
gather information from the private sector and state and local governments about
better ways to manage the nation's airwaves. NTIA will host the first meeting on
December 9 and will co-sponsor a February meeting with the National Academy of
Sciences. NTIA also is planning a third meeting in cooperation with the former
Public Safety Wireless Network (PSWN), now part of the Department of Homeland
Security (DHS) Project SAFECOM.

The public meetings will be the first opportunity for interested parties from
outside the federal government to participate in the Bush Administration's
initiative to develop a U.S. spectrum policy for the 21st century promoting
economic growth, ensuring national and homeland security and fostering new
technologies.

"Spectrum policy improvements will boost growth in the tech sector and add U.S.
jobs," said Acting Assistant Secretary of Commerce Michael D. Gallagher. "These
public meetings will serve as the catalyst for the development of new
technologies that will enhance the productivity of American workers and enrich
the lives of American consumers," said Gallagher. "We are very pleased to join
the National Academy of Sciences and the Department of Homeland Security in
gathering additional input for the President's Initiative."

The President's spectrum initiative requires the Commerce Department to prepare
legislative and other recommendations to (1) facilitate a modernized and
improved spectrum management system; (2) create incentives for more efficient
and beneficial use of spectrum and to provide a higher degree of predictability
and certainty for incumbent users; (3) develop tools to streamline the
deployment of new services and technologies, while preserving national security,
homeland security, and public safety, and encouraging scientific research; and
(4) develop means to address the critical spectrum needs of national security,
homeland security, and public safety.

The daylong meeting at the Commerce Department on December 9 will consist of a
morning panel on incentives encouraging spectrum efficiency and an afternoon
panel on the deployment of new and expanded services and technologies.
Participants may include spectrum users, equipment vendors, financial and
industry analysts, consumer groups and others. Interested federal government
agencies are welcome to attend.

The second in the series, tentatively scheduled for late January or early
February, will be developed by NTIA in cooperation and partnership with
DHS/SAFECOM, and will focus on state and local public safety issues. Next, a
two-day NTIA-sponsored workshop on February 12 and 13, conducted by the National
Academy of Sciences, will focus on addressing critical spectrum needs, improving
spectrum management, incentives to spur spectrum efficiency, and policies to
streamline development of new technologies and expanded services.

Additional public meetings may be held. In addition to the public meetings, NTIA
plans to invite the public to submit written comments. The request for comments
will be made through the Federal Register. Details regarding panelists, breakout
sessions, and meeting locations will be provided in separate Federal Register
notices for each event. Updated information on these events will be available on
NTIA's Web site at www.ntia.doc.gov.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:31:59 -0500

The same can be said when it comes to finding a solution. There are dozens of
"2-way Radio" Engineers involved but no iDEN engineers (Except for Nextel's).
SoCo has tried to help but Timmy has looked the other way. Its like taking your
Cadillac to a Hyundai dealer.

All the Moto Engineers are from the CGISS. The iDEN guys have not even submitted
a comment.

"Swift, Jason" wrote:

>  It's simply amazing to me, that we never had such "management" issues before
> the proliferation of Iden systems.  It's interesting how the FCC is absent
> from these proceedings.  Seems like having a discussion on religion and, not
> inviting any clergy.Regards,Jason Swift
>
>      -----Original Message-----
>      From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>      Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 7:23 AM
>      To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; WFHSG
>
>      Subject: [800interference] COMMERCE DEPARTMENT INVITES SCIENTISTS,
>      EXPERTS AND PUBLIC TO PROVIDE INPUT ON IMPROVING MANAGEMENT OF
>      AIRWAVES
>
>      For Immediate Release
>      November 18, 2003