Subject: [NEXTEL-1] HOMELAND SECURITY: INDUSTRY LEADERS ADOPT RECOMMENDATIONS TO ENSURE THE SECURITY OF MEDIA FACILITIES DURING EMERGENCIES

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:11:06 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                      NEWS MEDIA CONTACT
December 9, 2003                                                        Meribeth
McCarrick (202) 418-0654

HOMELAND SECURITY:  INDUSTRY LEADERS ADOPT RECOMMENDATIONS TO ENSURE THE
SECURITY OF MEDIA FACILITIES DURING EMERGENCIES

Washington, D.C. – Leaders from the broadcast, cable and satellite industries
have adopted forty-nine best practices recommendations to ensure the continued
operation and security of media facilities in times of a national emergency.
The recommendations were recently adopted by the FCC’s Media Security and
Reliability Council (MSRC).

“The adoption of these recommendations underscores the commitment of the FCC and
the media industry to secure and protect our homeland,” said FCC Chairman
Michael K. Powell said.  “I am pleased that the Council has acted upon these
recommendations so swiftly.”

Key recommendations include:

? Media companies should have appropriate physical security at their key
facilities.

? Media companies should take appropriate measures to provide backup power
capabilities for their key facilities.

? Media companies with local news origination should ensure that they have
robust and redundant ways to communicate with external news services and remote
news teams.

? All local media in a market should collaborate to increase their collective
geographic diversity and to establish redundant interconnections capable of
supporting emergency operations.

? Media companies should develop and implement written disaster recovery plans,
update them as events warrant, and regularly conduct emergency drills at least
once a year.

? Media companies should have the ability to access alternate telecommunications
capabilities.

 The full text of these and other recommendations previously adopted by the
Council are available at http://www.fcc.gov/MSRC.

The recommendations were presented to members of the MSRC at its biannual
meeting at the FCC on November 6, 2003.  The 41-member Council completed voting
on these recommendations November 26, 2003.

MSRC is a Federal Advisory Committee that reports to FCC Chairman Michael
Powell.  Chairman Powell formed MSRC following the events of September 11, 2001,
in order to study, develop and report on best practices designed to assure the
optimal reliability, robustness and security of the broadcast and multichannel
video programming distribution industries.

-FCC-

Media Bureau contacts:  Barbara Kreisman at (202) 418-1605
     Susan Mort at (202) 418-1043

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-241973A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/