Subject: [NEXTEL-1] POWELL On Dedicated Short-Range Communication Services in the 5.850-5.925 GHz Band (5.9 GHz Band).

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:45:48 -0500

SEPARATE STATEMENT OF
CHAIRMAN MICHAEL K. POWELL

Re: In re Amendment of the Commission’s Rules Regarding Dedicated Short-Range
Communication Services in the 5.850-5.925 GHz Band (5.9 GHz Band) (WT Docket No.

01-90); and Amendment of Parts 2 and 90 of the Commission’s Rules to Allocate
the
5.850-5.925 GHz Band to the Mobile Service for Dedicated Short Range
Communications of Intelligent Transportation Services (ET Docket No. 98-95,
RM-9096)
(Adopted December 17, 2003)

Smart radio technology means smarter highways, safer roads and a more secure
homeland. By our action today, the Commission takes a giant step toward ensuring
that
all Americans have access to these life saving services provided through
advanced
telecommunications platforms. The Commission also demonstrates its continued
commitment to assisting the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) in
improving the safety and efficiency of the nation’s surface transportation
infrastructure
through the use of Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) Service in the
5.9
GHz band. DSRC provides critical communications links for Intelligent
Transportation
Systems (ITS) systems, and is essential to achieving a top priority of the DOT,
reducing
highway fatalities.

Specifically, in this ITS Report and Order, the Commission adopts the
interoperability standard (ASTM E2213-02 or “ASTM-DSRC) supported
overwhelmingly by the commenters and developed through an accredited standard
setting
process. The Report and Order makes it possible to license both public safety
and nonpublic
safety use of the 5.9 GHz band and will provide for open eligibility for
licensing
and technical rules, most of which are embodied in the standard. The Commission
will
also license DSRC Roadside Units (RSUs) that will receive non-exclusive
geographicarea
licenses utilizing seventy megahertz of the 5.9GHz band and will help provide a
framework that ensures priority for public safety communications. Finally,
although
significant progress has been made in the industry discussion protocol regarding
the
sharing of DSRC and FSS operations in the 5.9 GHz band, the Commission has
deferred
a decision on the matter until the ongoing technical studies and industry
discussions are
completed. Give the importance of public safety applications in the DSRC, I urge
the
parties to conclude their discussions to ensure that the ASTM-DSRC Standard will

provide reliable and robust operations.

I would like to thank the staffs of the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration under the leadership of Michael D. Gallagher, Acting
Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Communications and Information, and the
Department of Transportation, headed by Norman Y. Mineta, Secretary of
Transportation, for working closely with us to develop rules that will bring the
benefits of
this technology to our citizens.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-242309A2.pdf

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/