Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel & Public Safety : To Group or Not Group

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:19:28 EST

In a message dated 12/7/2003 4:54:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:
meijin wrote:

> Texas Instruments in Dallas, TX. Give them a call. They are using it quite
> successfully.

I know that the Texas thought process can be different, but when did TI 
become a Public Safety agency?

Don
(.25 Texan)

While I'm aware of this particular plant, I don't know what use they make of 
their radio system (I do know they have an 800 MHz Moto system).  However, if 
their use is similar to other fabrication plants, they have their own 
fire/rescue/hazmat team, and many of these facilities have their own police force.

Alan

---

From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:45:30 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:

> While I'm aware of this particular plant, I don't know what use they 
> make of their radio system (I do know they have an 800 MHz Moto 
> system).  However, if their use is similar to other fabrication plants, 
> they have their own fire/rescue/hazmat team, and many of these 
> facilities have their own police force.
>  
> Alan

Alan -

I don't dispute the safety aspects of an industrial setting (especially 
since I used to work for a large defense contractor in Burbank).  But 
there is still a difference between an industrial setting and a public 
safety environment.  Even in today's wacky world, I'm not aware of too 
many industrial applications where 90 - 100 MPH pursuits go on for 
dozens of minutes over large areas, or the industrial police force is 
dealing with rampant drug use in the resident housing, complete with 
gang members using uzis to attempt to take out the security force.

My own organization uses Nextel - but we are not a first responder 
organization, and we are not using the service in lieu of a Public 
Safety radio system for essential life safety communications purposes 
over our 155,000 square mile service area.

Don

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:53:34 -0800

I have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit in my car so it guess I can
call it a fire engine -or- would ambulance be more appropriate ? ;-)

I'm sure T.I.'s PRIVATE fire put-ter out-ters is a good group but it
just ain't the same thing as city FD and I bet they wll tell you the
same thing.

But I may be wrong........
Jack Daniel

PS to Don: Remind me Friday to give you your door prize from LA. 
============================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> In a message dated 12/7/2003 4:54:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [email-masked] writes:
> 
>      meijin wrote:
> 
> system).  However, if their use is similar to other fabrication
> plants, they have their own fire/rescue/hazmat team, and many of these

---

From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:11:55 -0800

> PS to Don: Remind me Friday to give you your door prize from LA. 

Not ANOTHER door?

[I thought I took all of my 'parting gifts' with me... but I guess I am 
wrong.   :)  ]