Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cerritos, Calif., Goes Wireless Citywide

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:25:57 -0500

Cerritos, Calif., Goes Wireless Citywide

Cerritos, CA.
December 2, 2003

Browsing the Web from this Southern California city may soon become an
outdoor sport. The first phase of a project to establish citywide wireless
Internet access is slated to begin next month.

Ultimately, anyone with a laptop or wireless device will be able to surf the
Web from virtually anywhere in the city's 8.6-square-mile area.

Scores of wireless networking transmitters are being placed atop public
buildings, traffic lights and other structures to blanket the city.

The project is being touted by Aiirnet Wireless (See
http://www.aiirlink.com/), its operator, as the largest wireless networking,
or Wi-Fi, deployment
in the nation.

The city struck a deal with the company that allows Aiirnet to place
transmitters throughout the city for free, city spokeswoman Annie Hylton
said.

Cerritos, meanwhile, agreed to buy 60 subscription accounts, each at $34.95
a month, for its field employees.

Brian Grimm, spokesman for the Wi-Fi Alliance (See
http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/index.asp), which certifies and promotes
the technology,
said he couldn't verify Aiirnet's claim, but noted Cerritos is the only city
so far that has said it intends to establish citywide wireless access.

Wi-Fi radiates an Internet connection that multiple computers within 300
feet can share at fast speeds. Wi-Fi hot spots have cropped up over the last
couple of years in coffee shops, hotels and airports in bigger U.S. cities.

Some small towns, including Half Moon Bay, Calif., and Athens, Ga., have
started experimenting with Wi-Fi as a way to provide relatively cheap, easy
access to high-speed Internet.

The 51,000 residents of Cerritos, located 26 miles southeast of Los Angeles,
have not had DSL broadband access to the Internet because the city is too
far from the telephone company's central office. Cable Internet access has
not been an option, either, Hylton said.

Residents in Cerritos have asked city officials to find a way to bring
broadband to the city for some time.

"We're pleased that our residents will at last have an option for broadband
that will be more affordable than is currently available," Hylton said.

http://www.techonline.com/community/news/31536

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Neil Horden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:04:55 -0000

"The 51,000 residents of Cerritos, located 26 miles southeast of Los 
Angeles, have not had DSL broadband access to the Internet because 
the city is too far from the telephone company's central office. 
Cable Internet access has not been an option, either, Hylton said."

Interesting, Cerritos was also a test city for interactive cable way 
back when.  AND now they don't even have Cable Moden service.
Wonder where "public WiFi" access will be in a few years?