Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel expands '4G' trials

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:02:37 -0500

Nextel expands '4G' trials
By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
Posted: 13/12/2003 at 02:44 GMT

US carrier Nextel is expanding its trials of Flarion's '4G' 
technology, based on its flash-OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division 
Multiplexing) techniques. 

Details are scant: Nextel would only say that the trial covered 150 
base stations in 'a major Southern city', and Flarion itself 
declined to elaborate, Unstrung reports. 

We hesitate to adopt the 4G designation until it has been formally 
blessed by the ITU. And we even hesitate after technologies have 
been given the nod. However, there's no mistaking that Flarion's 
technology has impressed carriers in the labs, with download speeds 
between one and two mbits/s and real efficiencies to boast about. 
Most impressively of all, Flarion survived starring on the cover of 
the now defunct Red Herring magazine - which has often proved to be 
the kiss of death. 

While OFDM faces a hard sell from incumbent GSM and CDMA carriers, 
who have natural upgrade paths to EDGE or W-CDMA, or CDMA-2000 
respecitively, it looks more attractive to Greenfield operators and 
specialists. As the largest operator using Motorola's iDEN 
technology, Nextel has little to lose. Flarion has persuaded Korean 
operator KT to give OFDM a field test, too. 

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/34505.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/