Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GULFPORT, MS. Check's on the way, 911 panel tells city

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:01:54 -0500

Posted on Tue, Dec. 16, 2003

Check's on the way, 911 panel tells city
By MIKE CUMMINGS
THE SUN HERALD

GULFPORT - Some members of the City Council have expressed skepticism about the
911 Commission's project to consolidate all emergency communications in Harrison
County into a central system.

The commission could help satisfy the skeptics today when it presents the city
with a check for $1.3 million. The money is payment for radio equipment that
will be used in the countywide system.
Gulfport bought the equipment several years ago to improve deficiencies in its
own emergency communications network. The 911 Commission later agreed to cover a
percentage of the equipment's cost.
Council President Chuck Teston has mentioned the $1.3 million at nearly every
council meeting this year, and has persistently pressured city administrators to
ensure a check was on its way.
"We're going to get that check presented to us (Tuesday)," he said.

Steve Delahousey, president of the 911 Commission, said the commission had to
inspect each individual piece of equipment and transfer its ownership to the
county, which took a lot of time.

The money is budgeted for capital improvements, such as new construction
machinery for the Public

Works Department.

Councilman Richard Rose said he wants council members to realize that the
communications project has benefits beyond the $1.3 million windfall, saying it
will greatly enhance public safety.

"There's been a lot of questions from the council," Rose said. "I want to
provide them with the clarity they need to be satisfied."

Rose arranged for commission officials to address the council at today's
meeting, believing his colleagues needed a clear, concise briefing about the
project. He placed the issue on the agenda under the heading, "Presentation --
Holistic approach to interoperability."

Teston, who sets the council's agenda, was perplexed by the esoteric
description. Rose said the heading made sense to him.
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/local/7504731.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/