Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel Info-mercials on Tech TV

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:16:23 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject:Re: Nextel Info-mercials on Tech TV

You and I will never know about who wrote this shows script, but there's
a technique called 'tossing a bone' to create a sense of balance and
credibility in the audience. Slick politicians do it all the time.

For me, a brief monotonic one-line disclaimer doesn't offset the image
of several minutes of grimacing and groaning by the 'reporter' when the
Verison unit didn't work in this test.

And you'll never convince me it was their first 'take' for this segment.
TV doesn't work that way anymore. 

But I'm probably more sensitised than others........
Jack Daniel
======================

Mark wrote:
> 
> The reporters do comment at the end of the comparison that Verizon
> has a larger cellular footprint and Sprint is supposed to equal the
> access times of NEXTEL.  I highly doubt that NEXTEL would of written
> that in.
> 
> Mark
> 
>  Jack Daniel
> <JackDaniel@R...> wrote:
> > I'm not a dedicated Tech TV cable channel watcher, so I was
> surprised
> > over the weekend to come across what looked like a
> scripted 'comparison'
> > of Nextel and Verizon PTT services.
> >
> > Nextel worked flawlessly and instantly without even setting up the
> > connection. Verizon failed to even connect at first and when the one
> > message was sent it wasn't received at the other end, then the
> segment
> > ran out of time with exagerated disgusted expressions on the
> reporters
> > faces.
> >
> > It was curious that the dummy on one end had no problem finding the
> PTT
> > button and they used the copyrighted 'direct connect' term when
> using
> > the Nextel handset, but he had not been trained or practiced on the
> > Verizon unit, had great difficulty locating the Verizon PTT button.
> >
> > Later I saw that Nextel was a sponsor of the next segment; "Business
> > Now".
> >
> > The following day I wanted to see if this repeated and boy did it!
> Most
> > of the segment was someone from Booze Hamilton seated in front of a
> > curtain that had multiple Nextel logos on it.  The rest of the show
> was
> > other Nextel matterial. They did state that Nextel was the sponsor
> for
> > Business Now.
> >
> > So, when you see Nextel (or one of their many paid consultants)
> citing
> > 'as seen on national television', they may be referring to a program
> > written and paid for by Nextel.
> >
> > Maybe Nextel deserves a new motto; How propaganda gets done.
> >
> > But I may be wrong.
> > Jack Daniel

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:20:50 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Nextel Info-mercials on Tech TV

One of the reasons that I love Consumer Reports.  They don't accept 
advertising, and don't permit their reviews to be used in advertising by
others.  I 
don't really use their reports on highly technical issues (say, the best 
computer), but I really appreciate it on other issues.

Alan T.

In a message dated 11/30/2003 8:39:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

I'm not a dedicated Tech TV cable channel watcher, so I was surprised
over the weekend to come across what looked like a scripted 'comparison'
of Nextel and Verizon PTT services.

Nextel worked flawlessly and instantly without even setting up the
connection. Verizon failed to even connect at first and when the one
message was sent it wasn't received at the other end, then the segment
ran out of time with exagerated disgusted expressions on the reporters
faces. 

It was curious that the dummy on one end had no problem finding the PTT
button and they used the copyrighted 'direct connect' term when using
the Nextel handset, but he had not been trained or practiced on the
Verizon unit, had great difficulty locating the Verizon PTT button.

The following day I wanted to see if this repeated and boy did it! Most
of the segment was someone from Booze Hamilton seated in front of a
curtain that had multiple Nextel logos on it.  The rest of the show was
other Nextel matterial. They did state that Nextel was the sponsor for
Business Now.

So, when you see Nextel (or one of their many paid consultants) citing
'as seen on national television', they may be referring to a program
written and paid for by Nextel.

But I may be wrong.
Jack Daniel
==============================================