Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NYPD Requests Confidentiality On Radio System Info.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:37:32 -0500

NYPD Requests Confidentiality On Radio System Info.

In March 1995 the Commission waived Parts 2 and 90 of its Rules to permit the
assignment of frequencies in the 482-488 MHz band (television channel 16) for
the public safety radio services in New York City Metropolitan area.  This
Waiver was granted for a period of at least five years or until the Commission
assigned Channel 16 in New York City for advanced television service (ATV) and a
broadcast licensee is authorized and ready to commence ATV operations.

Fast Forward>>>> To 2003

NYPD & NYMAC filed a petition with the FCC to use freqs in the UHF-TV band
(Channel 16) for P/S in the NYC area.
A few commenters objected to NYPD's petition and claimed difficulty in
communicating with NYPD. In a petition submitted on 11/14/2003
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6515290259
police officials claim  info submitted in December 5, 2002  report
(http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-165A1.doc) should
receive confidential treatment under 0.457 and 0.459 of the commission rules.
NYPD has now petitioned for confidentiality concerning the previously submitted
documents and wants viewers to sign a NDA. The only problem was the FCC never
removed the information from its website, so any one can view these
"Confidential" documents as part of the NPRM  adopted on July, 10th 2003.