Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Labrador braces for deluge of 911 satellite phone calls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:12:54 -0500

Labrador braces for deluge of 911 satellite phone calls
12/11/2003 5:00:00 PM - Police distribute loaner handsets to drivers on
isolated highway

by Scott Foster

A pilot program that loans satellite phones to motorists on one of Labrador’s
most isolated highways is now entering its most treacherous phase.
The second leg of the year-long pilot stretches over the winter months, a time
when the mercury dips to -60 degrees C and some motorists inevitably confront
life-and-death situations on the Trans-Labrador Highway.

The 568 km stretch of dirt road snakes
its way through pristine wilderness,
unmarked by telephone poles, cellular
towers, wires or any type of power
source.

"There’s just nothing there," said Insp.
Robert Garland of the Royal
Newfoundland Constabulary in west
Labrador.

To ensure distressed motorists receive help faster, the province began a
satellite-phone program about six months ago.  Motorists who travel this stretch
of road now receive loaner phones. The province bought 60 satellite phone sets
at $900 each to be used for the duration of the pilot.

So far, everything has gone off without a hitch, except for one isolated case,
said Garland.
Recently, Leo Herrell and his wife, Bernice, were in the middle of a six-hour
journey from Goose Bay to Labrador City when they hit a snowed-out portion of
road. Their Dodge pickup slid off the road and ended up overturned in the ditch.
When the elderly couple called 911, an automated voice told them to "Please
hold." They tried again, but the same thing happened.

Luckily, they were rescued by a passing car after waiting about 15 minutes. But
it could have been worse. Traffic on the route is so sparse that stranded
motorists could face a wait of hours, even days.
"We’re still reviewing that (case)," said Garland. "It happened a number of
weeks ago and we’re still trying to figure out what went wrong."

In the meantime, the Royal Constabulary expects the volume of calls for service
to increase over the winter months, "based on the fact that we have a highway
through wilderness area and the winter temperatures here drop to as low as — 55
or — 60 C." said Garland.

He added that there is some traffic in the winter months due to snowmobile
riders and caribou hunters, but not as many tourists.

For the Labrador police, the program has sped up the rescue process
significantly, said Garland. "Previously, if motorists had problems on the road,
if there was a serious accident for example, we would have to wait for another
motorist to come along."

For that motorist to then drive to a phone could take several hours because a
booth could be as far away as 300 km.

The cost of providing satellite phones was compared to the price of installing
cellular service along the road, but the latter was "very cost-prohibitive,"
said Garland.

Also considered was the installation of payphones along the side of the road,
which proved equally impractical because this could not be done without
installing some kind of power source, whether that be a brand-new telephone-pole
system or a solar-powered generator for each phone booth.
"And that still wouldn’t solve your problem because how far apart do you set
them up on the road? Every 30 kilometres?" asked Garland. "Well if you have to
walk 30 kilometres in -60 degree C weather, you’re really in trouble."

The pilot project wraps up in six months at which point a decision will be made
to purchase more phones based on call volumes and number of users.
Comment: [email-masked]
http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?theaction=61&lid=1&sid=54371&adBanner=Networking#

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/