Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Digital radio system clears the air for Glendale police

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:46:56 -0500

Digital radio system clears the air for Glendale police
  Monica Alonzo-Dunsmoor
  The Arizona Republic
Dec. 10, 2003 12:00 AM

GLENDALE - City officials on Tuesday fired up a $9 million digital police
communication system that will mean clearer radio calls and a greater coverage
area for police officers. It's like going from vinyl records to CDs.

"It's the wave of the future," said Officer Brian Wilkins, a police spokesman.
"And the system can expand with technology, so it always stays modern."

The communication system, which includes police radios, is how dispatchers get
information to officers and how police talk to one another.

With the new system in place, Glendale is the first Arizona city to go all
digital, Wilkins said. Other cities, including Phoenix and Mesa, have partial
digital systems.

Glendale started planning for the new system years ago, Wilkins said. They did a
test run of the digital system Monday with a few minor glitches.

The latest technology will allow police, fire, transportation and other city
departments to communicate with each other and with public-safety workers in
other cities. Motorola engineers designed the system.

Wilkins said the radio system was purchased a year ago to replace the
15-year-old analog system the city was using.
With the old system, police officers had trouble getting through from outlying
parts of the city, had calls riddled with static and often couldn't talk at all
in some areas, like parking garages.

"The quality of the transmission with this system is crystal-clear," Wilkins
said. "It goes into the far reaches of the city and them some."

Another plus is that the system is software-controlled, meaning it can be kept
up-to-date with the latest technology.
"You just buy the new software and upload it, and now we have a brand-new
system," Wilkins said.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/1210coptalk10.html#

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/