Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TIA Applauds FCC’s Adoption of Unlicensed Spectrum Rules

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:49:09 -0500

December 2003
Global Policy : Spectrum
TIA Applauds FCC’s Adoption of Unlicensed Spectrum Rules

On November 18, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) released a Report
and Order that revises the commission’s rules to permit the use of Unlicensed
National Information Infrastructure (U-NII) devices in the 5 GHz band. U-NII
devices are defined as intentional radiators operating in the frequency bands
5.15-5.35 GHz and 5.725-5.825 GHz that use wideband digital modulation
techniques and provide a wide array of high data rate mobile and fixed
communications for individuals, businesses and institutions.

This action makes an additional 255 megahertz of spectrum available in the
5.470-5.725 GHz band and represents a significant
increase in spectrum availability for unlicensed devices. The increased
available capacity gained from access to this spectrum, along with the
operational flexibility provided by the new rules, is expected to lead to the
development of a wide range of new and innovative unlicensed devices and
increased wireless broadband access and investment. Moreover, the FCC’s action
is consistent with the spectrum allocation recommended by the recently concluded
International Telecommunication Union World Radio Conference.

TIA has long advocated that globally harmonized and coordinated spectrum
allocations be a priority in order to ensure that businesses and consumers
receive the benefits of economies of scale, interoperability among carriers and
seamless roaming across national borders. TIA believes making spectrum available
on an unlicensed basis is essential for continued innovation in a wide variety
of products and applications that are important to consumers and businesses
alike. Unlicensed technologies like Wi-Fi and other radio local area networks
have broad market potential, including the possible creation of flexible and
inexpensive networks to serve both metropolitan and rural areas.

FCC Chairman Michael Powell stated: “The adoption of the U-NII Report and Order
is another successful step towards fostering the development of a broad range of
new devices and services. This proposal is consistent with the U.S. proposals
for the 2003 World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-03) and with the
resolutions adopted by the ITU at WRC-03. This action will harmonize the
spectrum available for U-NII devices throughout the world.

“Making this additional spectrum available will ensure the continued deployment
of unlicensed wireless broadband networks by affording U-NII device and network
providers greater certainty and flexibility to avoid interference with other
services sharing the existing band. Further, it will provide significant
benefits for American consumers and businesses including improved quality of
service, and increased competition with other providers of Internet service.”

FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy stated, “Adoption of this order, only six
months after we initiated this proceeding and in conjunction with our adoption
of the Earth Stations on Vessels NPRM, is a further demonstration of the
commission’s commitment to move swiftly when acting on items of national
significance addressed at the World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC).
Substantively, today’s order makes available an additional 255 MHz of spectrum
on an unlicensed basis – spectrum that has the potential to be used for
broadband networks on an internationally harmonized basis.”

For more information, contact Bill Belt at (703) 907-7790, email
[email-masked]

Access this article anytime at http://pulse.tiaonline.org/article.cfm?ID=1882

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/