Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel continues cobbling together SMR spectrum.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:42:46 -0500

Nextel continues cobbling together SMR spectrum.
Nextel spends $2.7M on Motient SMR spectrum
By Mike Dano
December 12 12:39:00, 2003

Nextel Communications Inc. bought $2.7 million worth of Specialized Mobile Radio
spectrum from wireless data carrier Motient
Corp., according to Motient’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

Motient said it did not need the SMR spectrum, and it would use the extra funds
for capital requirements and general corporate
purposes. The sale is contingent on Federal Communications Commission consent,
which Motient said is expected by early next
year.

The move is significant for both companies. Nextel has made its living by
cobbling together SMR spectrum to build its nationwide
voice and data network. Indeed, in 2001 Nextel purchased $250 million in SMR
spectrum from struggling paging and messaging
carrier Arch Wireless Inc. Nextel also this year has spent close to $200 million
on multichannel multipoint distribution system
(MMDS) spectrum. Nextel has not said how it plans to use the MMDS spectrum.

For Motient, the deal represents some needed cash for the beleaguered wireless
data carrier. Motient recently announced it lost its
biggest customer, UPS, and said it is working with the SEC to restate some of
its earnings for 2000 and 2001. The company said it
has $3.6 million of cash on hand and has so far claimed $4.5 million of its
$12.5 million credit facility. Motient said it expects to
reach break even in the fourth quarter of next year.
 http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16254

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/