Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More On The South Dakota Digital Trunked Radio System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:36:06 -0500

South Dakota Digital Trunked Radio System

The new digital radio system went on line October 23, 2002.  This presentation
is designed to familiarize new users with the new digital radio system.
Remember, you now have access to over 7000 public safety officials across the
state.

TRUNKING BASICS

The basic premise behind trunking in radio systems is to efficiently utilize the
rf spectrum, and allow many users to operate on a few frequencies.  Trunking
allows the sharing of these resources by having the decision process of which
site “repeater” is used left to the system, rather than the user having to
select an individual frequency. When a radio user presses their push to talk
button, the system assigns a repeater, tells the radio which channel to go to,
and passes that traffic to other radios in the system that are selected up on
the same talkgroup.
We use the term radio “talkgroup” as opposed to radio “channel” for the digital
portion of the radio. The new radios operating on this system are capable of
both digital and analog operation, and the user needs to recognize that a
“talkgroup” is an electronic grouping of radio users, whereas a “channel” is
frequency related. This is important because an analog “channel” is area
specific, where talkgroups are statewide.

TRUNKING CONCEPTS

Compare a trunked communication system to the
system many airlines use.
•Any agent can handle a transaction for any user.
•Each user is handled by the next available ticket agent.
In a conventional radio system, each would have to wait in their individual line
until the preceding user is completed.
The sharing of a small number of radio channels
between a large number of users.
1 2 3
Voice Channels
The Basic Network
The basic network involved with the new system involves the initial 35 sites,
the 7 expansion sites, transport, and a network center in Pierre. All sites are
in continuous communications with the network center.(See Diagram) Each site
also has what is called a control channel that is in continuous communications
with the radios in its area.

Each radio is a computer with a receiver and transmitter attached. All traffic
on the new system is data, or a series of 1's and 0's directed between radios.
The computer also allows each radio to have a unique ID that allows the Network
Switch to identify that radio, and which talkgroup is selected. Each radio is in
constant communication with the tower through the control channel at the tower
site. This control channel passes on such information such as surrounding site
information, and site status. The radio also samples the signal strength or RSSI
of the control channel and compares it with others that the radio is receiving,
and at preset levels will switch from one tower to another. This allows the
radio to roam between sites without user action.

How It Works

Each tower is in continuous communications with the Network Switch, passing on
site status information, user registration information, and, of course the voice
traffic.

A very important concept that needs to be understood
about the system is that of Registration also referred
to as Affiliation. Registration or affiliation occurs
when a radio is turned on, when a new talkgroup is
selected, or when the radio selects a new site through
its RSSI level(see previous slide). When a radio
affiliates with a tower, it sends the radio ID and the
talkgroup selected to the Network Switch.
Deregistration occurs when the radio is powered
down, or leaves a coverage area.
The Network switch maintains a current database of
where every radio on the system is and what
talkgroup they have selected. When there is any
activity on a particular talkgroup, the Network
Switch will relay that traffic to any tower with a unit
registered on that talkgroup. This allows the system
to efficiently allocate resources at the tower sites. The
tower will only transmit on talkgroups that are
registered on that tower. The only exception to this
are the Interagency talkgroups that will force a
transmitter to come up at the local site irregardless of
registration. This is how the system has been
structured to allow communications between
agencies.

NETWORK WATCHES OVER SYSTEM

In the following diagram, units with talkgroups A and
B are registered on tower 1, a unit with talkgroup C is
registered on tower 2. If A and B have each others
talkgroups in their radios, they can scan and listen to
each other, they will not be able to monitor unit C. C
will not be able to monitor A or B unless talkgroup A
or B is selected.
Tower 1 Tower 2

6 additional proposed sites

Coverage Maps

The following coverage maps are from the contract that the State signed with
Motorola. The coverage in the areas that are green are guaranteed for coverage
in 90% of the area shown for 90% of the time.  The mobile coverage we have
experienced has so far surpassed the estimated areas in most cases. In those
cases where areas shown do not have coverage, State Radio will need to
reposition antennas on towers to fill those areas.

The portable coverage map has been fairly close to what we have experienced. The
portable coverage will be enhanced when the expansion sites are installed in
Gayville, Huron, Brookings, Watertown, and Minnehaha County areas.

SRC TALKGROUPS

SRC talkgroups are comprised of 24 geographically labelled areas.  They have
been labelled geographically to spread the traffic out over the towers, and not
overload a single talkgroup. These talkgroups work statewide, however, and can
be accessed in any area.
The primary purpose of the SRC talkgroups is dispatch to state units. SRC
talkgroups can be also utilized by local dispatch to contact state dispatch
facilities, or if necessary state field units.
These will be monitored/recorded by SRC dispatch.

Talk Group Radio Display State radios PURPOSE FOR TALK GROUP
with this TG
SRC Sioux Falls SRC SF all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC Turkey Ridge SRC TKR all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC Vermillion SRC VERM all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC TRIPP SRC TRIP all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC MITCHELL SRC MIT all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC BROOKINGS SRC BRK all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC WATERTOWN SRC WTN all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC WEBSTER SRC WEB all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC Isabel SRC ISAB all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC ABERDEEN SRC ABR all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC REDFIELD SRC RED all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC HURON SRC HUR all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC MILLER SRC MIL all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC CHAMBERLAIN SRC CHAM all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC WINNER SRC WIN all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC PIERRE SRC PIER all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC MOBRIDGE SRC MOB all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC PHILLIP SRC PHIL all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC MARTIN SRC MAR all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC BISON SRC BISN all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC RAPID CITY SRC RC all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC S. HILLS SRC SH all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC N. HILLS SRC NH all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC FAITH SRC FATH all ALL AGENCIES COMMUNICATION TO DISPATCH
SRC Talkgroups(Recorded)

INTERAGENCY TALKGROUPS

Interagency talkgroups are the new law/gov mutual aide channels.  These are
intended for communications between different agencies, such as a fireman
needing to talk to a HP unit, or an ambulance operator needing to talk to a DOT
truck, or communication between different towns/counties. These will be
monitored and recorded by SRC dispatch.  The Interagency talkgroups can also be
used by local dispatch to contact state dispatch or units.

It is strongly encouraged that all mobile units scan the interagency talkgroups,
as it is the mutual aid portion of the system, and that dispatch centers
considers monitoring these as routine practice.

Sioux Falls Interagency SF INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL & STATE
Turkey Ridge Interagency TKR INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL & STATE
Vermillion Interagency VERM INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL & STATE
Tripp Interagency TRIPP INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Mitchell Interagency MIT INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Brookings Interagency BRK INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL & STATE
Watertown Interagency WTN INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL & STATE
Webster Interagency WEB INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Isabel Interagency ISAB INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Aberdeen Interagency ABR INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Redfield Interagency RED INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Huron Interagency HUR INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL &
STATE
Miller Interagency MIL INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL &
STATE
Chamberlain Interagency CHAM INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL &

STATE

Winner Interagency WIN INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL &
STATE
Pierre Interagency PIER INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Mobridge Interagency MOB INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Phillip Interagency PHIL INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL
& STATE
Martin Interagency MAR INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL &
STATE
Bison Interagency BIS INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL &
STATE
Rapid City Interagency RC INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL & STATE
Southern Hills Interagency SH INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL & STATE
Norhtern Hills Interagency NH INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH
LOCAL & STATE
Faith Interagency FATH INT all INTERCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES, BOTH LOCAL &
STATE
Interagency Talkgroups

Special Operations(Emergency)

Special Operations 1 SP OP 1 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 2 SP OP 2 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 3 SP OP 3 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 4 SP OP 4 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 5 SP OP 5 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 6 SP OP 6 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 7 SP OP 7 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 8 SP OP 8 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 9 SP OP 9 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
Special Operations 10 SP OP 10 all COMMUNICATIONS DURING DISASTERS AND SPECIAL
EVENTS
National Weather Service NWS-W all WEATHER REPORTING TO NWS-WESTERN SD
National Weather Service NWS-C/NE all WEATHER REPORTING TO
NWS-CENTRAL/NORTHEASTERN SD
National Weather Service NWS-SE all WEATHER REPORTING TO NWS-SOUTHEASTERN SD
State Fire 1 STFIRE-1 all STATE MUTUAL AID FIRE CHANNEL
State Fire 2 STFIRE-2 all STATE MUTUAL AID FIRE CHANNEL
State Fire 3 STFIRE-3 all STATE MUTUAL AID FIRE CHANNEL

The EF Johnson 5300 radio is a 50-watt dual modeVHF analog/trunked mobile radio,
capable of 256
channels/talkgroups.

On/Off-Volume--Press knob in to turn radio on/off. Rotate for volume control.
Zone/Channel Select--Press knob in to move cursor over zone or channel. Rotate
knob to select zone/channel.
Zone Display--A zone is a group of channels or talkgroups, radio has capability
of 16 zones with 16 channels each.
Channel Display--Displays selected conventional channel or trunked talkgroup.
Cursor--Displays over which position the selector knob is active. Zone or
channel/talkgroup.
Monitor Button(Conventional)--Enables/disables tone protection on conventional
channels.
Scan List Select(Trunked)--Displays user editable scan lists(up to 16) when in
trunked operation.
Scan Edit Button--Enables user to edit 16 scan lists of 16 channels each. By
list either trunked or conventional.
Scan Button--Enables/disables scan function on radio.
Scan List Select(Conventional)--Displays user editable scan lists(up to 16) when
in conventional operation.
Backlighting--Allows user to change display lighting.

RWS(Radio-Wide Scan)--The only scan list that will scan both conventional and
trunked channels. 16 ch fixed.
Emergency Button(Man down button)--Alerts dispatch centers and surrounding radio
units of an emergency.
Display--Visual indication of channel/talkgroup/zone name presently selected.

Operating Tips
Sounds:
1. Wait to begin talking until the quick double-beeps are done.
2. If a continuous beep is experience, radio is not affiliated with tower.
3. Two longer beeps indicate local site is busy, wait, and system will give you
the quick beeps indicating when access is ready.
Using Radio Outside of Normal Operating Area:
1. Your talkgroup is valid statewide.
2. To contact local unit, turn to closest Interagency Talkgroup and call.
3. Turn to closest SRC talkgroup and route through dispatch.
Be Considerate
1. Listen before keying.

2. The radio has the capability of monitoring traffic anywhere in the state.
Keep in mind, any outside traffic imported to your area ties up local resources
and lessens capacity for local users. If you do not have specific business
monitoring traffic from elsewhere, please consider not practicing this.

IN CLOSING

We hope that this information is helpful in the operation of your new radio.
The digital trunked radio system should be considered as the swiss-army tool of
your day-to-day operations as part of the public safety community in the state.
It can fit law-enforcement, fire & emergency response, EMS, different levels of
government, or any combination between.
It is the responsibility of the state to maintain the system, assign talkgroups,
and provide technical oversight.
Your responsibility as a user include maintenance of your radio, any
reprogramming or modifications of your radio, and communicating on your radio in
a legal and courteous manner.

http://www.state.sd.us/dps/5300training.pdf

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/