Subject: [NEXTEL-1] LOCAL: Calhoun County, South Carolina 911 expected on-line Feb. 1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:23:03 -0500

2003/12/03
LOCAL: Calhoun County,  South Carolina 911 expected on-line Feb. 1

By LARRY P. JORDAN, T&D Correspondent

ST. MATTHEWS -- Calhoun County's emergency preparedness director says he expects
the
county-wide 911 system to be operational by Feb. 1.

Bill Minikiewicz, speaking at the November meeting of the Calhoun County
Firemen's
Association, said the county received an $85,000 grant for Homeland Security. Of
that amount,
$25,000 had been designated for emergency management, he said. Each fire
department will
receive a laptop computer with its own emergency plan and standard operating
procedures; 40
new 800 megahertz 2-way radios of which 16 will go to fire services; and seven
radiation
detectors to be distributed to those departments most likely to need them,
Minikiewicz said.

Additionally, there will be gas detectors, defibrillators and night vision
equipment distributed as
needed, he said. Minikiewicz noted also that a retired ambulance is being
converted to a mobile
command post and alternate dispatching station. He said the grant was allocated
as the county
saw fit, adding that there will be another $85,000 grant coming to Calhoun
County in January
2004 to be spent as the federal authorities determined.

Minikiewicz said the county is proceeding with installation of a radio repeater
station to provide
better, more reliable radio service for all emergency services, which includes a
340-foot tower
with a 20-foot antenna located at a site near Morton Plastics Co. off U.S. 601.

Also during the November meeting, the Calhoun County Firemen's Association
elected the
following officers for the coming year: the Rev. Bob Young, president; Gary
Hardy, vice president
and Andy Stabler, secretary-treasurer.

Members were reminded that the Association's annual Christmas Party will be held
at 7 p.m.
Dec. 12 at Sandy Run Station.

The Calhoun County Fire Commission reported that the construction of the new
burn building is
nearly half completed and reminded everyone to continue pushing for all
residents to have their
new 911 addresses prominently displayed to assist emergency personnel in
locating residences.

Young also noted that the Red Cross is looking for volunteers to assist as
county disaster
response personnel. The first training session is scheduled for 6:30 to 9 p.m.
on Dec. 9 at the
Calhoun County Courthouse Annex.

Department reports were as follows:

-- Sandy Run had 12 calls for October, and the fish fry fund-raiser was a
success.

-- Cameron had four calls for October.

-- Ft. Motte had 14 calls for October, and its tanker No. 69 will be out of
service for a week.

-- Caw Caw had 250 calls for the year and is putting a search and rescue truck
in service.

-- Jumper Station had one mutual aid call for October.

-- Midway had no calls for October.

Jesse Elmore, South Carolina Fire Academy Region 6 representative, said the new
training
catalogs were available and announced that the National Fire Academy State
Weekend will be
held July 30 to Aug. 1, 2004, at the National Fire Academy, in conjunction with
the Rhode Island
fire departments.

T&D Correspondent Larry P. Jordan can be reached by phone at 803-874-3276.
http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2003/12/03/pm/pm2.txt

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/