Subject: [NEXTEL-1] World's First Wireless Base Station with VoIP Ability Emerges

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:17:55 -0500

World's First Wireless Base Station with VoIP Ability Emerges

December 18, 2003

Military SDR Technologies Pty Ltd, a partially-owned Australian affiliate of
Military Communications Technologies Inc.  http://www.milcomms.com/index.html
[OTC BB: MLTA.OB], has successfully demonstrated Voice over Internet Protocol.
(VoIP) termination at a mobile
wireless base-station. Military SDR's engineers terminated a CDMA call
utilizing a VoIP core network over the company's proprietary SpectruCell
multiple protocol software defined radio (SDR). While this remarkable
development is currently being used for military applications, it likely
will have a reverberating effect on commercial mobile markets as well.

"This is an important step forward in the commercialization of the
SpectruCell technology," http://www.sdrct.com/index.html
Kevin Graham, CEO and director of International Business Development for
Military SDR Technologies, told TelecomWeb. " Many network operators
worldwide are migrating their conventional fixed core networks to an IP
architecture for cost saving reasons. This is the first wireless
base-station with Voice-over-IP ability, eliminating the need for
conventional network infrastructure such as fiber optic, wire, and cable,
between base stations. A Voice-over-IP SpectruCell base station can
seamlessly sit on any existing Internet network."'

The original VoIP functionality was first demonstrated in January 2003.
Currently, network providers are beginning the migration to 3G high-speed
data networks. The number and concentration of cell sites required increases
dramatically to three to four times the number of cells required for a
current mobile network architecture. A major hurdle in the rollout of these
new 3G networks has been the issue of how to connect all of the new base
stations to the rest of the network with conventional fiber/wire
infrastructure.

Traditional mobile network architecture does not provide any flexibility and
is dramatically more expensive to establish and maintain than an Internet
Protocol connection wireless solution. By using an IP connection instead of
the traditional approach, network operators can further utilize existing
dark fiber and other traditional transmission infrastructure to provide a
full, flexible, and cost effective total digital wireless solution as they
implement the migration to high speed 3G networks. This milestone shows that
it is now possible to terminate data and voice connections directly to a
base-station via VoIP.

http://www.wirelesstoday.com/news/1071774974.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/