Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: 'Personalizing' OnStar

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:03:30 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: 'Personalizing' OnStar's GPS navigation system puts a curve in
GM's plans

> 'Because It's There':
> Commandeering a G.P.S. Navigator
> 
> By Sandeep Junnarkar
> 
> December 18, 2003
> 
> 
> Ray and Elna Kawal hit the open road this fall on
> an 8,000-mile trip in their 2002 Chevy Tahoe with
> General Motors' OnStar navigation system serving
> as their North Star.
> 

Its great that this old guy finally got around to some hacking, but 
the kids over at slashdot.org have been doing this for damn near any 
device that runs on electricity, since the beginning of internet 
time. I might add, at least the slashdoters have the courtesy to 
post a long writeup about the hack, along with a plenty of digital 
photos.

I can't imagine that this guy did much more than pulling a cable out 
from under the dash and pluging it into the laptop.

For all those interested google "NMEA" for the standard GPS wire 
protocol.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:10:00 -0500

The guys at GMHack (underground) have taken it to clicks above the slash guys
they are writing  code, Flashing EPROM's, Writing firmware and creating hardware
better than GM. These guys even sell manuals with schematics. All at prices 1/3
of GM.

 

Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:54:36 -0000

> better than GM. These guys even sell manuals with schematics. All 
at prices 1/3

That's pretty much SOP for hardware reverse engineering.
My buddy has Linux on an Apple iPod. bfd.

I pumped "gmhack" into google.com, and got nothing interesting, do 
you have a better keyword or an url? Nevermind, I finally read the 
article.

Anybody hear of any XM radio hacks, I bought the service for my dad 
and he loves it. It might to interesting to go exploring.

 

Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 01:46:07 -0500

I don't think you can "Google" these guys. By day these guys are Telematics
engineers by night they go  by names like the "Chipster", "Slice",  "in&out"
they advertise in nuts & bolts. I never saw there stuff on the net. They were at
dayton this year.

XM Hmmm? That might be fun. I'm sure there is a XM hack group out there.

 

Yahoo! Groups Links