Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC forms Internet Policy Working Group

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 17:18:43 -0500

FCC Forms
Internet Policy Working Group

Washington, DC 
December 1, 2003

At a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) forum today to discuss issues
relating to Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell
has announced the formation of an FCC Internet Policy Working Group.

The Working Group will assist the Commission in identifying, evaluating and
addressing policy issues that will arise as telecommunications services move to
Internet-based platforms.  The cross-bureau and multi-disciplinary working group
will be directed by a steering committee comprised of senior management and
staff from several Commission Bureaus and Offices, and will be staffed as needed
by attorneys, engineers and economists from across the Commission.  This Working
Group will also reach out to key constituencies including state regulators,
consumer groups and public safety organizations.

Chairman Powell said, “Internet-based services are already revolutionizing the
way consumers do things,” said Powell.  “They are having an even greater impact
on the future of telecommunications.  By forming this Working Group, we hope to
gain a greater understanding of how policy-makers can create rational policies
to encourage growth in Internet services.”

The members of the steering committee for the Working Group include:

Co-Directors
Robert Pepper, Chief of Policy Development 
Jeff Carlisle, Senior Deputy Chief, Wireline Competition Bureau
June Taylor, Chief of Staff, Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau 
Anna Gomez, Deputy Chief, International Bureau  Kyle Dixon, Deputy Chief, Media
Bureau 
Jeffery Goldthorp, Chief of the Network Technology Division, Office of
Engineering  and Technology 
Mary McManus, Special Counsel, Office of the General Counsel 
David Furth, Associate Bureau Chief/Counsel, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau 

For additional information on the Working Group, please visit the Internet
Policy Working Group website at:
 www.fcc.gov/ipwg

-FCC

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-241761A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:37:38 -0500

Those interested in Vo-IP must be careful not to confuse Vo-IP over
dedicated, discrete networks, with Vo-IP transported over the Internet.
There is a world of difference between the two concepts; not technically,
but in other areas, particularly in security of communications.  This
subtle (or not-so-subtle, as the case may be) distinction seems lost on
FCC Chairman Powell, who evidently remains clueless-as-usual.

Alan Dixon
"The Industry Iconoclast"

[Please copy replies to Mr. Dixon at: [email-masked]
<wpuc720[a]juno.com>]

---In [email-masked], Marcelrf@B... wrote:
FCC Forms
Internet Policy Working Group

Washington, DC 
December 1, 2003

At a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) forum today to discuss
issues relating to Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), FCC Chairman
Michael K. Powell has announced the formation of an FCC Internet Policy
Working Group.

The Working Group will assist the Commission in identifying, evaluating
and addressing policy issues that will arise as telecommunications
services move to Internet-based platforms.  The cross-bureau and
multi-disciplinary working group will be directed by a steering committee
comprised of senior management and staff from several Commission Bureaus
and Offices, and will be staffed as needed by attorneys, engineers and
economists from across the Commission.  This Working Group will also
reach out to key constituencies including state regulators, consumer
groups and public safety organizations.

Chairman Powell said, "Internet-based services are already
revolutionizing the way consumers do things," said Powell.  "They are
having an even greater impact on the future of telecommunications.  By
forming this Working Group, we hope to gain a greater understanding of
how policy-makers can create rational policies to encourage growth in
Internet services."

Co-Directors
Robert Pepper, Chief of Policy Development 
Jeff Carlisle, Senior Deputy Chief, Wireline Competition Bureau
June Taylor, Chief of Staff, Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau 
Anna Gomez, Deputy Chief, International Bureau  Kyle Dixon, Deputy Chief,
Media Bureau 
Jeffery Goldthorp, Chief of the Network Technology Division, Office of
Engineering  and Technology 
Mary McManus, Special Counsel, Office of the General Counsel 
David Furth, Associate Bureau Chief/Counsel, Wireless Telecommunications
Bureau 

For additional information on the Working Group, please visit the 
Internet Policy Working Group website at:
 www.fcc.gov/ipwg

-FCC

---