Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel's Donahue to chair Network Reliability & Interoperability Council

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:03:11 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Maples, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Nextel's Donahue to chair Network Reliability & Interoperability
Council

All: Before anyone launches further into this, please review NRIC's charter:
=============================================================================

The purposes of the Committee are to give telecommunications industry leaders
the opportunity to provide recommendations to the FCC and to the industry that,
if implemented, would under all reasonably foreseeable circumstances assure
optimal reliability and interoperability of wireless, wireline, satellite, and
cable public telecommunications networks. This includes facilitating the
reliability, robustness, security, and interoperability of public
telecommunications networks. The scope encompasses recommendations that would
ensure the security and sustainability of public telecommunications networks
throughout the United States; ensure the availability of adequate public
telecommunications capacity during events or periods of exceptional stress due
to natural disaster, terrorist attacks or similar occurrences; and facilitating
the rapid restoration of telecommunications services in the event of widespread
or major disruptions in the provision of telecommunications services.
==============================================================================

You will note the following:

1. It is focused on public telecommunications networks, not private RF systems,
public safety, etc., etc., etc.  

2. This organization advises the Federal government.  That being the case, the
amount of inertia present in the organization, while normal for Federal
involvement, is higher than normal.

3. This organization is made up of representatives of organizations which are
fierce competitors.  This adds further inertia to whatever this group proposes
or recommends.

4. This organization cannot (a) pass legislation, (b) enact regulations, or (c)
allocate spectrum.

Given these facts, it is unclear to me what the furor is about.  Mind you, I'm
not telling anyone they can't generate furor, but IMHO it's probably unwarranted
here.

For what it's worth.  I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New
Year.

Dave Maples

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/