Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel's Donahue to chair Network Reliability & InteroperabilityCouncil]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:20:32 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Nextel's Donahue to chair Network Reliability &
InteroperabilityCouncil

Maples, Dave wrote:

> All: Before anyone launches further into this, please review NRIC's charter:

<...>

> Given these facts, it is unclear to me what the furor is about.  Mind you, I'm not telling anyone they can't generate furor, but IMHO it's probably unwarranted here.

Dave -

As one who has served on two Federal Advisory Committees (FAC) to the 
FCC (the Emergency Broadcast System Advisory Committee [1992-1997] and 
the EAS National Advisory Committee [1997-2002]), I believe the furor is 
over a perception of additional access to senior FCC leadership.

I can say from my experience that there is no added 'benefit' or 
'access' granted to Mr. Donahue by being appointed Chair that he does 
not already enjoy by virtue of his leadership position at Nextel.

The FCC press release states:

	"The role of the NRIC is to develop recommendations for the Commission 
and the telecommunications industry to insure optimal reliability, 
security, interoperability and interconnectivity of, and accessibility 
to, public telecommunications networks and the Internet.  NRIC VII will 
work on traditional reliability issues with a strong emphasis on 
national security.

	"The Council’s members are senior representatives of providers and 
users of telecommunications services and products, including 
telecommunications carriers, the satellite, cable television, wireless 
and computer industries, trade associations, labor and consumer 
representatives, manufacturers, research organizations and 
government-related organizations."

FACs interface to the FCC through their Designated Federal Officer, and 
the FCC's DFO for NIRC VI (the last two-year Council) is the Chief of 
the Network Technology Division at OET, who would routinely be dealing 
with the NIRC member entities anyway.

Don

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/