Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Iusacell tests push-to-talk on Lucent platform

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:05:36 -0500

Iusacell tests push-to-talk on Lucent platform
December 18, 2003 4:19pm
BNamericas.com

Mexican mobile operator Iusacell (NYSE: CEL) is testing push-to-talk for
cellular technology on a Lucent platform, a company source told BNamericas.

"We are in the testing phase of the [Motorola and Kyocera] handsets and it is
very likely we will launch service in the first quarter," the source said.

"[Push-to-talk] will only be available in the corridors that have CDMA1xRTT
[technology] which is mainly Region 9 [around Mexico City]," he added.

Iusacell operates a CDMA network in seven of Mexico's nine cellular regions, but
the CDMA1xRTT overlay has only been deployed in and around Mexico City.

Push-to-talk allows a wireless operator to offer a walkie-talkie service over
its existing infrastructure with only marginal investments in hardware and
software. Verizon Wireless started offering push-to-talk in the US in August
followed by Sprint PCS in November.

Iusacell's competitors - Unefon, Telcel and Telefonica Moviles - were not
immediately available for comment.

In Latin America, combined mobile and push-to-talk services are dominated by the
local subsidiary of NII Holdings (Nasdaq: NIHD), which use Motorola's Iden
digital trunking technology to provide services for companies with groups of
workers spread out over wide areas, such as a sales force or construction crew.

Nextel Mexico reported a client base of 615,900 handsets at the end of the third
quarter, equivalent to an 87% market share.

Iusacell is Mexico's smallest mobile operator with about 1.5 million subscribers
at the end of the third quarter and a focus on business clients. Mexican tycoon
Ricardo Salinas controls Iusacell along with the country's third largest
operator Unefon, which has about 1.8 million subscribers.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR200312183200.1_3f8500067a3d90cc

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/