Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Gives Thumbs Up To SDR Proceeding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:36:01 -0500

FCC Gives Thumbs Up To SDR Proceeding
BY MARK ROCKWELL
DECEMBER 17, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The FCC today voted to examine radio technology that could open up
more space for wireless communications services and devices.

At a scheduled commission meeting this morning, commissioners voted to adopt a
notice of proposed rulemaking that would begin to examine how software defined
radio technology could be used for more flexible use of spectrum.

Backers of the technology applauded the commission's action. "It is certainly
clear that software defined radio technology is playing a key role in this FCC
initiative," said Mike Chartier, chairman of the regulatory committee for the
SDR Forum and director of regulatory policy in Intel's corporate technology
group, in a statement.  "The FCC's adoption of the SDR item in today's ruling is
particularly exciting to the forum."

The forum was an active participant in the commission's original SDR proceeding
in 2001, which culminated in a report & order authorizing the use of SDR and
provided a mechanism for in-the-field software changes.

In the NPRM, the FCC said it was looking to develop rules allowing spectrum
licensees to use the technology to further reduce interference and lease
spectrum to third parties. It also wants to investigate how the technology could
be used in unlicensed spectrum and said it wants to investigate rules that would
allow unlicensed devices in limited bands to use higher transmit powers in rural
and underserved areas.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=12/17/03

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/