Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Citywide Wi-fi in New Brunswick, CA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:59:41 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Anthony Townsend <[email-masked]>
Subject: Citywide Wi-fi in New Brunswick, CA

http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/whatnew/index.asp

Fredericton Leads Way With Wireless Technology

Fredericton, NB (November 18, 2003) – The City of Fredericton announced 
this morning that it  has launched Fred-eZone, a free wireless fidelity 
(Wi-Fi) network that will allow anyone with a  Wi-Fi enabled laptop or 
personal data assistant (PDA) to access their e-mail, calendar or the  
internet in many of the municipality’s public areas.    Fredericton 
becomes the first municipality-wide Wi-Fi network in Canada offering 
free, unlimited  access.  Like streetlights and sidewalks, this 
intellectual infrastructure is becoming the new  municipal 
infrastructure of the 21 st century for smart communities.    The 
technology uses radio waves to send data to a series of special 
antennae located around  the city.  Users will then connect to the 
Fredericton Community Network, the municipality’s highspeed fibre optic 
network.    “Today’s announcement is the culmination of a lot of hard 
work and vision by City Council, our  Information Technology Committee, 
City staff, the members of Team Fredericton and a variety  of 
partners,” said Fredericton Mayor Les Hull.  “Fredericton is a great 
place to live, work and  play, and with this morning’s announcement, we 
will join the ranks of  ‘connected cities’ around  the world.”    The 
first phase of the project has already been completed.  This means that 
Wi-Fi technology is  now available in much of the City’s downtown and 
at the Fredericton Airport.  By the end of the  year the network will 
be expanded to include the Knowledge Park, Main Street and the balance  
of the downtown.  In the future, coverage will include all of the 
City’s business corridors and  public spaces.     The City is teaming 
with Cisco Systems, the worldwide leader in networking for the 
Internet, to  deliver Fred-eZone.  Cisco is assisting in the roll out 
and development of the network, which is  based on industry-leading 
Cisco wireless technology.  The first phase of the project will cost  
$150,000 and is already part of the city’s capital budget for this 
year.    “This builds on our decision in 1999 to install fibre optic 
cable throughout Fredericton,’’ notes  Fredericton’s information 
technology chair, Coun. Tommy Jellinek.  “Wireless technology has  
become the way to solve the last hurdle in conquering the Digital 
Divide.  It will help us become  the most successful and vibrant small 
city in North America.”    “This initiative will give us another very 
impressive tool in our economic development tool kit,”  adds Mac 
MacFarlane, chairman for Team Fredericton, the City of Fredericton’s 
economic  development marketing agency.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/