Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC ADOPTS RULES FOR INTELLIGENT TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS TO ADVANCE HOMELAND SECURITY AND TRAVELER SAFETY

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:57:32 -0500

FCC ADOPTS RULES FOR INTELLIGENT TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS TO ADVANCE HOMELAND
SECURITY AND TRAVELER SAFETY 

The Federal Communications Commission today adopted licensing and service rules
for the 5.9 GHz Band (5.850-5.925 GHz band) for Dedicated Short-Range
Communications (DSRC) in the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Radio
Service.  ITS services will provide many public safety benefits that will
enhance homeland security.

DSRC systems will provide a short-range, wireless link to transfer information
between vehicles traveling at high speeds and roadside units or other vehicles. 
Some examples of short-range ITS applications include:  intersection collision
avoidance, work zone warnings, road condition warnings, electronic toll
collection, and electronic payment for gas, fast food, or parking.  ITS
applications are expected to improve traveler safety, decrease traffic
congestion, reduce air pollution, and conserve vital fossil fuels.  The FCC has
been working closely on ITS with the U.S. Department of Transportation and will
continue this partnership as ITS applications are developed and implemented.

Background

In October 1999, the Commission allocated the 5.9 GHz band for DSRC-based ITS
applications and adopted basic technical rules for DSRC operations.  After the
allocation was made, the Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS
America) – a Federal Advisory Committee to the Department of Transportation on
ITS matters – worked to develop a consensus in the ITS community on licensing
and service rules for ITS and, in July 2002, presented a recommendation to the
Commission for service rules for DSRC operations in the 5.9 GHz band.  In
November 2002, the Commission initiated this proceeding to settle on ITS
licensing and service rules, tentatively concluding that the 5.9 GHz band should
be used primarily for public safety purposes, and asking for public comment on
how to define “public safety” and DSRC for these purposes, as well as the
appropriate basis for licensing roadside units (e.g., site-based or geographic
area) and how to achieve interoperability in the band.

Specifics of the New Rules

The new rules largely adopt the Commission’s tentative conclusions from 2002. 
The FCC took the following actions:

-- Adopted the tentative conclusion that the 5.9 GHz band should be used
primarily for public safety purposes, noting that sharing the band with limited
non-public safety uses would benefit public safety.  Both public safety and
non-public safety users will be eligible for licensing on all channels.  

-- Opted for open eligibility for licensing in order to encourage the intensive
use of the band and spur the development of the innovative services.

-- Adopted for ITS the standard developed by the American Society for Testing
and Materials (ASTM) and the Federal Highway Administration, an agency of the
DOT.  The FCC noted that the adoption of this standard would help support the
interoperability of ITS systems.  

-- Adopted a geographic area licensing regime where licensees will receive
non-exclusive geographic-area licenses authorizing operation on seventy
megahertz of the 5.9 GHz band and will register RSUs by site and segment(s).  

-- Concluded that DSRC operations in the 5.9 GHz band must coordinate
frequencies through the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration at the U.S. Department of Commerce to avoid interference with
government operations.

-- Deferred resolution of the prior coordination issue between DSRC and FSS
until ITS America and the satellite industry reach an agreement, but urge the
parties to conclude as quickly as possible given the importance of public safety
applications in the DSRC.

Action by the Commission December 17, 2003, by R&O (FCC 03-324).  Chairman
Powell, Commissioners Abernathy, Copps, Martin, and Adelstein, with separate
statements issued by Chairman Powell and Commissioner Adelstein. 

Wireless Telecommunications Bureau Contact:  Nancy Zaczek (202) 418-0680 or
[email-masked].  TTY 1-888-835-5322.
 
WT Docket No. 01-90

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-242309A1.doc

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/