Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Analysts: Added Spectrum Still Years Away

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:59:13 -0500

Analysts: Added Spectrum Still Years Away
BY RHONDA WICKHAM
DECEMBER 9, 2003

MIAMI -- Spectrum is like the holy grail for the wireless industry. Yet,
according to
speakers at the CDMA Americas Congress, that added spectrum is about four or
five years from becoming available.

"Spectrum is like sex," Iain Gillott, president of iGillottResearch, says. "No
one
has ever said, 'that is enough' -- everyone wants more."

There will be no new spectrum available until 2008 or 2010, according to Andrew
Seybold, editor and publisher of Outlook4Mobility. Because of that, "you need to

look at who has spectrum and who needs it," he says. To that end, he predicts
AT&T Wireless will combine with Cingular Wireless, which will free up BellSouth
to
buy Sprint PCS. He expects these consolidations to take place by the end of
2004.

When asked specifically about the commercial availability of 1.7 GHz spectrum,
Seybold dryly responds: "It depends on which day of the week you want to talk
about spectrum. On the one hand, the government is enamored with unlicensed
spectrum, but no one in Washington has a clue."

Offering a perspective of the South American market, Jose Otero, an independent
telecom consultant, says, "If you think things are bad here in the United
States,
just look at South America," he says. "It makes the U.S. look great by
comparison."

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=6&pubdate=12/09/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/