Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel unaware of possible points system change before deal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:08:50 -0500

Posted on Tue, Dec. 16, 2003   
 
Nextel unaware of possible points system change before deal
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

NASCAR and Nextel Communications, which takes over as sponsor for 
NASCAR's Cup series in 2004, are in discussions regarding a proposed 
addition of a playoff format to the series, officials with the 
sponsor confirmed Tuesday.

In addition, Nextel, which signed a 10-year deal in June to sponsor 
what until recently has been the Winston Cup Series, was not 
informed of NASCAR's desire to change the current points system 
before its deal was signed with NASCAR, ThatsRacin.com has learned. 

"We are talking to NASCAR about this playoff format which we 
understand, if adopted, would begin next season," said Nextel 
spokesman Mike Mooney.

"I would add that many other NASCAR partners, sponsors and 
participants are also talking with NASCAR about this proposed 
change."

NASCAR is seriously considering a plan that would create a 26-
race "regular season" and 10-race playoff format. Only the top-10 
drivers in points after 26 races would be eligible to race for the 
championship over the final 10 races. A decision is expected next 
month.

In weeks since the plan first became widely circulated in the public 
during the annual Cup awards banquet weekend in New York, Nextel has 
received an "overwhelming" response regarding the proposal from 
fans, sources said. 

Many fans have flooded Internet message boards and radio talk shows 
discussing the points change. Some have mistakenly credited Nextel 
with pushing the change. The plan, however, has been promoted 
heavily by new NASCAR chairman Brian France. 

In two recent Internet polls – one which is still underway – race 
fans have overwhelmingly expressed their disapproval with the 
playoff format. 

Another poll on jayski.com asking if the NASCAR points system should 
be changed has elicited nearly 20,000 votes, with 55-percent 
saying 'no.'

Of the seven choices given to change the system, the playoff format 
currently under consideration had 924 votes, or 4.69-percent as of 
Tuesday afternoon.

Cup drivers Kevin Harvick and 2002 champion Tony Stewart have also 
indicated they support the current points system, with Harvick 
supporting a small points addition for winning a race. 

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/7505743.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/