Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Women Want Wireless

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 06:01:47 -0500

Women Want Wireless
 Contributed by mmasnick on Tues, Dec 2 2003

 Wondering whether to go with chocolate or flowers for the special woman in your
life? You might be better off
 going with a nice 3G mobile phone network. A new study by the folks at Siemens
(who certainly are a bit on
 the biased side, since they want to sell more 3G equipment) says that women are
big fans of what UMTS 3G
 wireless technology can do for them. However, they point out, the women are
more interested in how the
 technology is useful, rather than what it is. This, of course, seems pretty
obvious, and is exactly what we were
 talking about back in October when we wondered why anyone would bother doing a
study looking at whether or
 not people knew what UMTS is. That doesn't matter. What UMTS is useful for is
what matters - and apparently,
 the European women Siemens studied agree with us. Of course, it's no surprise
to those of us at Techdirt that
 women like useful gadgets. For years, we've been pointing to study after study
saying that "chicks dig
 gadgets." On the wireless front, earlier this year there was a study saying
that women felt text messages
 showed how much the sender cared more than things like flowers and chocolate
(though, that study seemed a
 bit questionable). Still, it's a bit more evidence that the stereotype of guys
and their gadgets may be a bit
 outdated.

www.techdirt.com
=============================================================================

Siemens: Women Want UMTS
12.02.03

MUNICH -- Coffee mornings are out, mobile communication is in: Women are already
the world champions when it comes to messaging. They view technology in terms of
the functionality it offers and are favorably predisposed to UMTS. That is the
result of a survey of 3,000 consumers in Germany, France and Great Britain
conducted by Europressedienst on behalf of the mobile communication group at
Siemens AG - Siemens mobile for short.

For men, technology is an emotive subject. But not for women. As far as owning a
mobile phone is concerned, they in no way lag behind the men, and even register
higher than them when it comes to sending SMS messages. The survey results show
that women are also open to the idea of UMTS. Like their male counterparts, half
of the female interviewees are convinced that UMTS will be a market success.
Compared to French and British women, Germans are particularly optimistic about
UMTS's future. They occupy third place behind the British and French men. And
guess what: In Germany, it is primarily high-ranking female civil servants who
believe in UMTS. It is precisely the public sector that it is most in need of
modern, mobile communications.

European women are particularly interested in mobile services such as e-mail. In
all three countries, women are more interested than men in the possibility of
sending photos and videos (MMS). However, location-based services and traffic
information are also frequently cited as attractive applications. In particular,
women employed in managerial positions are upbeat in their appraisal of UMTS
which they hope will simplify their professional lives in many situations.
Women are also more rational when it comes to deciding to buy. For them, it is
usefulness that counts - and here much more information on UMTS is required.
Some women want to wait and see what the new technology has to offer in everyday
use. However, the majority of interviewees say they want to acquire a UMTS
mobile telephone.

Rudi Lamprecht, member of the managing board at Siemens AG, says: "The results
show that women will play an important role in UMTS's future. We expect to tap
into the UMTS mass market in 2005. The third generation of mobile communication
equipment already accounts for 15 percent of our business. This proportion will
continue to rise, making UMTS a major source of income. We are the world leaders
in this business field and have a lead of three to six months over our
competitors in terms of the construction of UMTS networks."

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=44238

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/