Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SI Telecom's VoiceBox™ III now supports intercepts for all wireless services from Nextel.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 02:26:05 -0500

As prevously posted- (Note there are other companies that support various
solutions for nextel intercepts)

Nextel-

JSI Telecom's VoiceBox™ III now supports intercepts for all wireless services
from Nextel, a leading provider of digital wireless services such as
mobile-to-mobile and Direct Connect®.
To provide this enhancement, JSI Telecom worked closely with Motorola, which
provides the Direct Connect portion of Nextel services, to integrate decode
capabilities into VoiceBox. JSI is also the first vendor to license, implement
and test the proprietary decoding modules Motorola developed for
mobile-to-mobile communications.

==============================================================
VoiceBox III supports Nextel CALEA solution

JSI Telecom's VoiceBox™ III now supports intercepts for all wireless services
from Nextel, a leading provider of digital wireless services with more than
seven million subscribers. Nextel offers services such as mobile-to-mobile
communications (M2M), and Nextel Direct Connect®, a push-to-talk or "dispatch"
type of call.

To provide this key enhancement, JSI Telecom worked closely with Motorola, which
provides the Direct Connect portion of Nextel services, to integrate decode
capabilities into VoiceBox. JSI is also the first vendor to license, implement
and test the proprietary decoding modules Motorola developed for M2M
communications.

How Nextel intercepts work

Nextel's wireless service uses a private radio frequency (RF) network and the
public switched telephone network (PSTN). Motorola provides the RF portion via
their patented Integrated Dispatch Enhanced Network (iDEN®) equipment. A Nortel
PCS 1900 switch provides the PSTN portion. Each vendor offers its own intercept
solution.
Nortel's switch intercepts all calls to and from the PSTN, including
PSTN-to-mobile and mobile-to-PSTN. Motorola equipment intercepts calls that do
not involve the PSTN, such as Direct Connect and M2M. Nextel will roll out this
intercept capability later this year.

Why they're different

Intercepting regular PSTN calls via the Nortel mobile switching center (MSC) is
quite straightforward and JSI customers have been doing this for nearly 11
years. Until now, however, Nextel's Direct Connect and M2M services have
effectively been immune to intercepts.

For example, Direct Connect allows customers to form groups that communicate
only with each other using the iDEN handset's push-to-talk feature. Since these
calls do not involve the switch, Motorola's intercept solution delivers both the
audio and the set-up events as data messages on an IP link, using Transmission
Control Protocol (TCP) format for the events and user datagram protocol (UDP)
for the audio packets. The audio packets are compressed using Motorola's
proprietary VSELP encoding. This requires collection equipment at the law
enforcement agency that can decode the VSELP audio packets and convert them to
analog audio for monitoring.

With M2M services, when a customer makes or receives a call from the telephone
network via the iDEN handset, the audio information is encoded using standard
pulse code modulation (PCM) and the Nortel switch delivers it over a dial-out
analog line. However, when one iDEN handset calls another, the phones switch
from pulse code modulation to VSELP. This is packet (i.e., digital) audio and to
be decoded, it must be delivered on a digital line, such as ISDN. Again VSELP
decoding is required to convert the VSELP audio packets back to analog.

Impact on LEA collection equipment

To conduct an intercept on a Nextel subscriber, an LEA collection equipment
system must include support for:
 VSELP decoding in real-time (M2M and dispatch calls)
 audio delivery via UDP data packets (dispatch calls)
audio delivery via ISDN-BRI (M2M calls)
split transmit-receive delivery (M2M calls).
Your best choice for delivering call content

To ensure you capture and decode all call types, ISDN is the only choice for
your audio delivery channel because it can deliver both PSTN and M2M calls.
Either Primary Rate Interface (PRI) or Basic Rate Interface (BRI) lines can be
used. If ISDN is not available, analog lines can deliver both types of calls,
but VoiceBox will not be able to interpret the VSELP coding for M2M.

The VoiceBox solution

As part of our ongoing commitment to technology innovation and customer service,
JSI has been working with Motorola since 1999 to integrate Nextel's Direct
Connect and M2M capabilities into VoiceBox III. The Nextel intercept capability
can be added to your existing VoiceBox III network, or you can purchase a
standalone VoiceBox III workstation.
For more information, contact a JSI sales representative at 301-670-0040.

http://www.jsitelecom.com/products/success.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/