Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New group forms to focus on Java phones (Java Wins Over Brew)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:57:53 -0500

New group forms to focus on Java phones
By Sam Omatseye
December 10 13:26:00, 2003

SAN RAMON, Calif.—Industry leaders have formed the Mobile Expert Group with a
view to promoting Java technology in
the mobile space. The focus will be data-capable phones.

The group was formed by the OSGi Alliance, an ecosystem whose members specify,
create, advance and promote an
open service delivery and management platform and foster its wide industry
adoption.

Members involved in the MEP include IBM Corp., Motorola Inc., Nokia Corp.,
Oracle Corp., Panasonic Corp., ProSyst,
Siemens VDO Automotive, Sun Microsystems and Telcordia Technologies, among
others.

“As the power and capability of wireless devices increases, the opportunity for
more advanced applications and software
solutions also increases,” said John Barr, president of the OSGi Alliance and
director, standards realization for Motorola.
“To realize their full potential, wireless devices need a new level of open
software infrastructure, supporting the ability
to share and to re-use programmatic services between applications and to manage
application lifecycles completely.”
The MEG will leverage the OSGi Service platform to define specifications that
will cover downloadable games and enable
end users to accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously on the same device.

“For example, a consumer will be able to answer a phone call while playing a
Java game without interrupting or ending
the game action,” said the group.

The MEG also will work with other standards groups for Java in the areas of
application development, provisioning and
management.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16225

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/