Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New records system makes PD job easier

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:36:16 -0500

Cathy- FYI

New records system makes PD job easier

Special to the Enterprise November 12, 2003

The Eloy Police Department has worked diligently over the last two years to
upgrade its records system. The Arizona State Records Division has awarded
grants in the last two years to help the department reach its automation goals.
These grants were written by the department and continue to be administered by
the department. We believe the time and effort are well worth the results.

Fiscal year 2002/2003 was a turning point in the department's effort. We
received a grant for $14,000 to install a computer and scanner connected
directly to the Arizona Department of Public Safety's fingerprint database
called AZAFIS (Arizona Automated Fingerprint Identification System). This
enables our department to directly submit rolled impressions of fingerprints
taken when a person is arrested. The system can confirm identification of prints
already in the system within two hours in an emergency situation. The system can
also be used to submit rolled fingerprint impressions for records checks and
background investigations. A turn around time of four to six weeks can be
reduced to less than one-half day if required.

The second grant awarded was to upgrade our current CISCO ACAD System which is
our computer assisted dispatch system. The upgrade makes our dispatch system
compatible with our report writing system. Prior to the change, information was
received from callers and entered into the ACAD program. This information was
transmitted to the assigned patrol officer. When the officer completed the call,
he or she competed an incident report. This was done on a computer with
automated forms. The problem was the officer's report had t be re-entered into
the records system. The report narrative was printed out and filed in public
records. The only information available in the computer system was the basic
information such as date, time, report number and name(s) of persons involved.

There was an intermediate step in this process involving the supervisory review
of the reports. If the supervisor wanted changes or corrections made, this was
indicated on the printed report which was then returned to the officer. The
process was time consuming and expended large quantities of supplies. Our
computer consultants, Lanlabs based in Tucson, suggest some alternatives.
Working with the department's software supplier ASCO, they determined there was
a method in place which could be used to incorporate our report writing ACAD,
and records systems into one large system which would eliminate much duplication
of effort and speed up the process.

This system consolidation was made possible by the second grant awarded to the
department by the Arizona Records Division. $24,000 was used to purchase
software, install the software and train officers to use the new system.
The department was now able to have the officers enter reports into a laptop
computer in a format compatible with our records system. The report is reviewed
by the supervisor on his or her computer. The supervisor can make minor changes
or corrections to the report if needed.

Once this has been done, the report is sent electronically to records. It is
stored in the system where it may be retrieved, when or if needed. If the report
requires major changes or needs more information, the supervisor notifies the
reporting officer electronically of what is needed.

The officer then makes the changes or adds the information and resends the
report. When the report is approved, it is sent to records, they cannot be
altered. If new information is discovered, the officer files an additional or
supplemental report. The entire report, including the narrative is now available
without having information re-entered.

We are also using Nextel wireless technology to allow officers to send reports
from their laptop computers while in the field directly to their increased
patrol time since officers no longer need to come to the department to write
reports.
The Nextel wireless units also provide a radio back-up if needed and have a GPS
(Global Positioning System) allowing us to locate our officers and keep a record
of the officer's patrol patterns. This information will assist us in responding
to citizen complaints that officers were not patrolling a specific area or
spending too much time in one location.

We are hoping to be awarded a third grant which will enable us to send
information directly from the ACAD system to the officers in the field. The
officer will then have all information about a call for service on his or her
laptop screen prior to arrival. Officer acknowledgement of receiving a call and
arrival at a location will be field computer to dispatch computer. This will
permit the department to keep our radio frequency clear for tactical traffic.

The department has also worked with a company called Voyager and once their
system is in place, officers will be able to directly access information from
the motor vehicle department on vehicles and information from other sources on
individuals such as prior arrests or warrant information. We are scheduled to be
on line with this system around the first of next year.
The department is moving closer to its goal of being paperless and less reliant
on the use of our radio frequency for non-emergency traffic. It is an exciting
time for us as the technology allows us to provide better service to the
community.

Casa Grande Valley Newspaper 2003

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10504650&BRD=1817&PAG=461&dept_id=222077&rfi=6

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/