Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Phone Keeps Father and Son From Drowning

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:23:27 -0500

Wireless Phone Keeps Father and Son From Drowning

A wireless phone became one father and son duo's savior. The two were
trapped by a rising tide at the River Medway near Lower Halstow. The father
and son had been hunting for wild fowling when they became stranded. The
father was able to contact emergency services using his wireless phone. The
father and son, as well as their two springer spaniels are recovering nicely

===================================================================

Mobile phone aids trapped wild fowlers
Monday, December 22, 2003

A MOBILE phone became a lifeline for a father and son when they became trapped
by the rising tide on the River Medway near Lower Halstow.

The man, aged 40, and his 11-year-old son had been wild fowling and had intended
to shoot a few ducks when they were stranded yesterday morning on Slayhills
Marsh.

Sheppey auxiliary coastguard Ian Goodwin said: "They had a lucky escape only
because the father was able to alert the emergency services on his mobile phone.
Eventually they were recovered by the Sheerness inshore lifeboat who found the
man with his son on his shoulders in water up to their knees and they were in
danger of drowning by the rapid flood tide.

"They were rescued and brought back to land at Ham Green where they were met by
a team from the Coastguard who were preparing for a full mud rescue.

"This was the second time the man said he had been caught by a rising tide. He
said he had checked the tide timetables and he thought the north westerly wind
would keep the tide at bay sufficiently for him and his son to go out on the
marshes."

The man's two Springer Spaniels were also rescued. They are all now recovering
back at their home in Canterbury but the man did not want to be identified.

http://www.kent-online.co.uk/news/default.asp?article_id=12639

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/