Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Safety and VoIP Leaders Connect on 911

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:33:17 -0500

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Public Safety and VoIP Leaders Connect on 911

The National Emergency Number Association (NENA) and VoIP leaders forged
an agreement to provide access to emergency service for VoIP users

NENA and the companies have agreed upon the following action items:

    * For service to customers using phones that have the functionality
and appearance of conventional telephones, 911 emergency services
access will be provided (at least routing to a Public Safety Access Point
(PSAP) 10-digit number) within a reasonable time (three to six months),
and prior to that time inform customers of the lack of such access.

    * When a communications provider begins selling in a particular area,
it should discuss with the local PSAPs or their coordinator the
approach to providing access. This obligation does not apply to any
"roaming" by customers.

    * Support for current NENA and industry work towards an interim
solution that includes (a) delivery of 911 call through the existing 911
network, (b) providing callback number to the PSAP, and (c) in some cases,
initial location information.

    * Support for current NENA and industry work towards long-term
solutions that include (a) delivery of 911 calls to the proper PSAP, (b)
providing callback number/re-contact information to the PSAP, (c)
providing location of caller; and (d) PSAPs having direct IP connectivity.

    * Support for an administrative approach to maintaining funding of
911 resources at a level equivalent to those generated by current or
evolving funding processes.

    * Development of consumer education projects involving various
industry participants and NENA public education committee members to
create suggested materials so that consumers are fully aware of 911
capabilities and issues.

By this agreement, NENA and the IP Communications industry have
demonstrated the ability for public safety and industry to work together
effectively on a voluntary basis, forging an agreement on 911 that will
protect the interests of consumers, businesses and emergency personnel.
The agreement recognizes the growing potential of VoIP and the universal
need for consistent and reliable access to emergency services.

The agreement was signed by: 8x8, AT&T Consumer Services, Broadsoft,
dialPad, ITXC, Level 3 Communications LLC, Level 3 Enhanced Services,
PointOne, pulver.com, Voice on the Net (VON) Coalition, Vonage, Webley.

www.pulver.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/