Subject: [NEXTEL-1] palmOne Extends Java Support To The Treo 600 Smartphone

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:07:21 -0500

palmOne Extends Java Support To The Treo 600 Smartphone
By Marie Lingblom, CRN

4:30 PM EST Mon., Dec. 15, 2003

palmOne Monday announced it has extended Java
support to its recently acquired Treo 600 Smartphone
line, following up similar support for its Tungsten
handhelds announced earlier this year.

"This is Native ARM version of the application of the
runtime environment of Java, so it's very fast," said
David Williams, product line manager, wireless and
enterprise software for palmOne. "It's been expanded
so that developers writing wireless applications can
now write them for the Treo 600."

Williams said the release is targeted toward
independent software developers looking to create
commercial applications in java to deploy across a
range or products, including the Treo 600 and
Tungsten handhelds. Other target audiences, said
Williams, include in-house developers using Java as a
primary development environment looking to build
connected applications for handhelds using IBM's tools for development.

A beta of the new version of IBM's WebSphere Micro Environment Toolkit for Palm
OS developers was released to developers Monday through the palmOne PluggedIn
developer Web site.

Jermone Liss, a developer with Digital Dispatcher, a wireless solution provider
based
in Philadelphia, said the new release expands the number of devices the
company's
location-based services for fleet fueling and oil delivery will support.

Digital Dispatcher currently offers its software on Java-enabled telephones. But
the
network availability for those kinds of phones is still limited primarily to
Nextel, so
Digital Dispatcher needs to be able to work with other service providers to
offer
services in areas not covered by the Nextel footprint as well as expand the
variety of
equipment used.

"Being able to use a Palm-type platform, in general, gives us more flexibility
in what
services we can provide," said Liss. "Moving to the Treo gives us an all-in-one
unit
with performance that's really not compromised."

And because Java Virtual Machine can run the application as a natively on the
unit, it
can run as fast as any other Palm applications.

"So the fact that it's J2ME makes it very easy for us to move from one
application to
another," said Liss. "And with minimal changes. That's important."

The WebSphere Micro Environment Toolkit for Palm OS Developers is a standalone
developer toolkit for use with any J2ME-compatible development environment, such

as Borland JBuilder, SunONE Studio and Simplicity for Mobile Devices.

Developers can download the no-cost toolkit, both the beta of the MIDP 2.0
toolkit
and existing MIDP 1.0 toolkit, from palmOne's web site. The MIDP 2.0 runtime is
scheduled to be available for both the Treo 600 smartphones and the Tungsten
handheld devices next spring. The runtime would cost $5.99 fro Treo 600
smartphone
users.

The existing MIDP 1.0 runtime is now available for the Tungsten line. Tungsten
T3,
Tungsten E, Tungsten W, Tungsten C and Tungsten T2 handhelds purchased on or
after Oct. 1, 2003 can use a downloaded WebSphere Micro Environment, available
at
no cost from the palmOne Web site.

Tungsten devices purchased before Oct. 1, 2003 along with the Zire 71 handhelds
require the $5.99 download fee. Owners of the MIDP 1.0 version of the runtime
would
be able to download the MIDP 2.0 upgrade at no cost when it becomes available
next year.
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=46696

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/