Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push-to-talk mobiles ring in the New Year

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:28:24 -0500

Push-to-talk mobiles ring in the New Year
Melanie Reynolds
Mobile phones with push-to-talk (PTT) capability will become
a "stocking filler", not this year, but for Christmas 2004.

"The conversations we're having with operators in the UK indicate
that PTT will become a stocking filler for Christmas 2004," said
Charlie Henderson, a director at Motorola's telecoms sector. "PTT
creates a third option to text messaging or voice calls and requires
different behaviour to the others."

PTT is described as offering a service similar to a walkie-talkie.
The system is voice-over-Internet protocol over a wireless network
and offers a half-duplex conversation for one-to-one or one-to-many
comms.

"It is a data service, but the data is voice," said Mark Nevins,
product director at Motorola's personal communications division.

The advantage of using PTT rather than making a call or texting is
considered to be the speed with which information can be exchanged.
Speaking is quicker than texting and a PTT connection can be made
much more quickly than a voice call connection.

"It's for a quick direct interchange of information," said
Nevins. "It's very simple, very efficient and it's voice so you
don't have to train people to use it."

Motorola's offering allows users to view the availability of others
in their PTT group and talk to either one person or a group.

US operators Sprint PCS, Nextel and Verizon have already launched
PTT services, with Verizon signing 100,000 users six weeks after
launch.
http://www.electronicsweekly.co.uk/issue/articleview.asp?vpath=/articles/2003/12/10/daily05.htm&mode=archive

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/