Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FBI Investigating Cyber-extortion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:04:28 -0400

http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/fbi051004.cfm

FBI Investigating Cyber-extortion

May 10, 2004 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- The FBI is investigating
the
claims of a Kentucky business owner who appears to have been the target
of a
cyber-extortion, according to the Associated Press.

Jay Broder, the owner of CSI Mid-South, also known as Card Solutions
International, claimed his company's Web site (authorizeit.com) went
down
for about a week after he refused to pay $10,000 to the sender of the
email
extortion threat. The email threatened to cripple the site if the money
was
not sent. Broder said in the report that he thought the threats were
idle
and believed the emails to be spam. He said he is not aware of any
reason
why he would be targeted.

The alleged attack, unleashed a few hours after Broder received a second
threatening email, was a distributed denial of service attack (DDoS), an
assault that overloads a system with a flood of incoming messages
forcing it
to shut down.

According to the Courier-Journal, CSI Mid-South's Web site is hosted
with
Boston-based Web hosting provider Hosting.com (hosting.com), who did not
return requests for comment. Broder said the attacks stopped when he
switched Web hosting providers and got a new IP address.

Card Solutions International processes credit card payments online.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/