Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Makes Wireless Deal With Sprint

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:59:19 -0400

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040518/ap_on_bi_ge/at_t_sprint

BEDMINSTER, N.J. - AT&T Corp. has reached an agreement with Sprint Corp.
to offer cell phone service over Sprint's wireless network, the
companies announced Tuesday.

The non-exclusive, five-year deal will allow AT&T to sell branded
wireless service to its more than 35 million business and consumer
customers. The company, which is already testing wireless services in
select U.S. markets, said it hopes for a launch later this year.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"AT&T has proved it is capable of rolling out bundles of new and complex
services quickly and cost-effectively, with top-notch customers service,
and we are excited to have this important capability that will help us
better serve customers," said AT&T chairman and CEO David W. Dorman.

Dorman said AT&T plans to add the wireless service to its AT&T OneRate
local and long-distance plans and its CallVantage Voice over Internet
Protocol service. The company will also offer handsets that allow
customers to make VoIP calls over broadband connections in homes and
businesses. That would eliminate the need for AT&T to lease phone lines
from local phone companies to offer local phone service.

"We are delighted that AT&T has expressed their strong vote of
confidence in the performance and capabilities of our nationwide CDMA
(news - web sites) network," said Len Lauer, Sprint's president and
chief operating officer.