Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Commissioner Questions 2.1 GHz Objections

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:16:13 -0400

Commissioner Questions 2.1 GHz Objections
BY MARK ROCKWELL
MAY 20, 2004

WASHINGTON -- FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein today expressed
skepticism about Nextel Communications' complaints about 2.1 GHz license
holders delaying moving off the spectrum to make way for Nextel, saying
the commission would strictly enforce existing rules against "squatting"
on spectrum and anti-competitive actions.

During a press briefing, Adelstein also took issue with Nextel's
contention that there would be problems with moving to 2.1, as that was
the spectrum originally suggested for the move by the company when it
made its first proposal to "swap" spectrum with emergency responders.

Adelstein said the commission hasn't determined exactly how it will
announce its decision about the 800 MHz band, but it is working toward a
solution that is the most legally sustainable. "The commission is
committed to getting this done," he said.
Meanwhile, sources who asked not to be identified said FCC Chairman
Michael Powell may be rethinking his support of using 1.9 GHz spectrum
to relocate Nextel. Powell's chief of staff, Bryan Tramont, had no
comment, however. A Nextel spokeswoman also had no comment.

An intense lobbying campaign has raged in the last couple of weeks
between Nextel, Verizon Wireless and CTIA over which band to use. Nextel
has firmly backed the solution using 1.9 GHz spectrum, threatening in a
letter to Powell that it would walk away from a solution that doesn't
include 1.9. CTIA and Verizon Wireless have pushed hard for an
alternative plan using 2.1 GHz as the replacement spectrum for Nextel,
contending that Nextel is only looking to get a deal on spectrum
resources. Nextel has fired back that Verizon Wireless and other large
carriers are the primary license holders of 2.1 GHz spectrum and could
tie up negotiations over clearing it and get a competitive advantage as
a result of the ensuing delays.

The commission is still considering how to go about clearing the 800 MHz
spectrum to reduce interference with emergency responder transmissions
and is closing on a decision. It could issue that decision soon, either
privately "on circulation" or publicly at its June 10 meeting.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=05/20/04

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/