Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Visionary Computers May Put Hockey on Cell Phones"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:06:26 -0400

"Visionary Computers May Put Hockey on Cell Phones"
Newswise (05/18/04)

University of Calgary computer scientist Dr. Jeffrey Boyd and his team
of students have created a prototype "smart camera"
with computer vision technology whose applications are being developed
and tested using hockey. The system converts
on-screen movement to computer language via a combination of advanced
computer programming and digital video, and can
share the visual data with conventional PCs in a network-accessible
database by shifting the computer processing to the front
end. "This could have many different applications, including most
situations that require a human to monitor video taken by a
remote camera, such as security cameras," notes Boyd, who adds that the
system could be employed to display a live
sporting event on a cellular phone. "Instead of video, which requires a
lot of bandwidth, you would get a moving schematic or
diagram of the action with, say, Sharks or flaming C's representing the
players." The invention is being put through its paces
with the use of a tabletop hockey rink installed in Boyd's Vision and
Motion Analysis Laboratory, while a two-camera
system will be set up in the U of C's Olympic Oval to capture hockey and
speed skating action. Boyd's project is
underwritten by a $180,000 grant from the Institute for Robotics and
Intelligence Systems, and builds on earlier research
Boyd carried out in collaboration with Dalhousie University, Waterloo
University, and University of British Columbia
researchers.

www.newswise.com/articles/view/505070/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/