Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NY's Statewide Radio Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:57:14 -0400

155.370 and 155.475 are still there........

How would you provide statewide coverage and interoperability?

[email-masked] wrote:

>  Now I will be the first to say that New York has no business pumping
> 1 BILLION dollars into a statewide radio system when they continually
> say they're broke, taxes are on the rise, services to the public are
> slipping, gas has risen to well over $2 a gallon, yada yada yada.  The
> selling point seems to be that emergency services can't talk to each
> other during an emergency (fire to police, police to ems, etc), and
> the general public goes, "Geesh, that's ridiculous, maybe they do need
> this BILLION dollar radio system." Uhm, question:  what happened to
> 155.370 as a statewide interagency channel ???  What happened to
> 155.475 as a federal interagency channel ????????? Mike
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------------------
> **HTML and Embedded Graphic Posts Discouraged - Plain Text Please**
>
> Long Island ScanCom, your primary source for Tri-State DXing info.
>
> To Post A Message to the ScanCom List : [email-masked]
>
> To Unsubscribe From ScanCom - Send a Blank E-Mail to:
> [email-masked]
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>     ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>    * To visit your group on the web, go to:
>      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanCom/
>
>    * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>      [email-masked]
>
>    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>      Service.
>
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:46:03 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: NY's Statewide Radio Network

   I just recieved a reply to the e-mail I sent to my NY State
Assemblyman 
Robert K. Sweeney.  He is Chairman of the Local Governments Committee.

Here is some info:

   When the RFP was issued for the SWN on 12/12/2001, the Office for 
Technology (OFT) estimated the cost of the system would be approximately 
$300 to $500 million.  The contract has now been awarded for a reported 
cost over $1 billion.  Sweeney is concerned about the high cost of the 
contract and the possibility of cost overruns.

   At a hearing held on 3/8/2004 by the Local Governments Committee,
this 
issue generated a great deal of comment from 1st responders across the 
State.  Interoperability remains an issue of primary concern.  1st 
responders indicated they frequently experienced difficulties with their 
existing radio systems.  Many local 1st responders expressed doubt about 
their ability to participate in the SWN.

   Prior to the annoucement of the contract award on 4/30/2004, the NY 
State Assembly & Senate had requested a meeting with the OFT to discuss
the 
cost of the SWN project.  The OFT did not provide that meeting.

   The Chairpersons from 6 different State Assembly Committees will
convene 
a hearing on Wed. 5/19/2004 in Albany.  The purpose of the hearing is to 
review the process of the SWN procurement.  They have requested that the 
OFT participate.  They plan on asking detailed questions in order to 
solicit additional information.

   Issues witnesses may direct their testimony, include, but are not 
limited to:

1.  Is $1 billion a reasonable & accurate cost estimate for the SWN?

2.  What led to the disparity between the initial cost estimate & the 
reported contract award?

3.  Discuss the tower siting process.

4.  Discuss what provisions have been made to ensure that local
governments 
& 1st responders will be able, in a practical sense, to utilize the SWN.

5.  What costs has the State already incurred in trying to establish the
SWN.

6.  When can the State expect to have a fully operational SWN?  What 
assurances have been made to ensure that this system will be able to
meet 
current & projected voice & data needs for the entire State?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/