Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GoBPL - Shark Bites

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 12:46:30 -0400

http://www.gobpl.com/sharkbites.html
--

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
Shark Bites

This page is in honor of Alan R. Shark, the redoubtable
CEO of the *PLCA, whose legendary releases to the media on
the subject of BPL have proved to be an inspiration to us
all.

Each month we will make a special Shark Bites award to the
person who has, in our opinion, made the most ingenious public
defence of access BPL.

*PLCA - Power Line Communications Assoc. -
http://www.plca.net

SHARK BITE NOMINATIONS

Please submit your favorite Shark
Bite to
[email-masked]

We need the quote, the person, and a link to an online
source.

BPL
- What They Say!

No Interference from Us!

"No matter how loud opponents may shout, they cannot
point to evidence in this country that BPL systems are causing,
have caused, or will cause, harmful interference to other
spectrum users or other third parties."

PCLA - 8/20/03 (link to this item from PCLA
Website is currently inoperative! -5/1/04)

"Let me say that had the author called upon our industry
association we would have told him there is simply zero empirical
evidence that power line communications causes harmful interference
with ham radio frequencies."

Alan
R. Shark, PLCA - 3/30/04

BPL MINISTER
OF INFORMATION

"Inteference?
What interference? BPL does not cause any bloody
interference, not even this much! Anyone
who tells you any different is an infidel dog, who
will be received with a slittering of the belly
and a roasting on our flaming power lines."

"Our experience in the field contradicts what (the ARRL
is) alleging," Kilbourne said. "We're entirely satisfied
that there won't be any interference."

Brett
Kilbourne, UPLC

"Interference just doesn't exist. They based a lot of their
assumptions on outdated noise flow analysis."

"Any interference the ARRL is measuring might be coming
from other licensed radio devices." Jay
Bimbaum - Current Technologies LLC

"Thus, I believe that while we must be mindful of harmful
interference, we cannot let unsupported claims stand in the
way of such an innovation as BPL systems." FCC
Commissioner Adelstein

"The static could have been caused by something other
than the power line communications, such as neon signs."
PPL
official

Interference? Yes there is, and
lots of it too!

"Assuming that co-frequency BPL devices are deployed
at a density of one per km2 within a circular area of 10 km
radius, interference to aircraft reception of moderate-to-strong
radio signals is likely to occur below 6 km altitude within
12 km of the center of the BPL deployment. Interference likely
would occur to aircraft reception of weak-to-moderate radio
signals within 40 km of the center of the BPL deployment area."
NTIA
- BPL Phase 1 Report

"The United States risks a communications crisis of
unprecedented proportions if the FCC permits deployment of
Access BPL systems without reducing Part 15 permitted emission
levels by several orders of magnitude and greatly strengthening
interference protection requirements to safeguard licensed
operations and the public." DERA
NPRM Submission

"Concern about high-frequency radio interference has
derailed power line communications in Europe, which experimented
with the technology in the 1990s." Professor
Robert Olsen, Washington State University

FCC
Chairman Powell with his BPL Technical Advisor

In case you have been wondering about the inspiration
behind much of the BPL cheerleading by the FCC,
we can now exclusively reveal its source. Chairman
Powell has been holding regular late night sessions
with his mentor, Mr. S. Bob, a renowned international
expert on soft soaping. His cousin, Baghdad Bob,
also works for the BPL Industry.

Our mole took this picture with a hidden camera after
they had just enjoyed a particularly close meeting
of minds.

Rural Broadband?

"BPL could play an important role in providing additional
competition in the offering of broadband services to the American
home and consumers, and in bringing Internet and highspeed
broadband access to rural and underserved areas." - FCC
NPRM

"NRTC and NRECA, with their member rural electric cooperatives
remain interested in BPL as an emerging technology, and have
monitored BPL technology developments since 1997. Despite
our desire for rapid BPL rollout, we caution that our research
leads us to conclude that BPL technology will not be a viable
solution in the near term for rural America."

NRTC/NRECA
Joint NPRM Submission

Antennas

"We therefore would expect that, in practice, many amateurs
already orient their antennas to minimize the reception of
emissions from nearby electric power lines." - FCC
NPRM

"Aeronautical HF receivers, however, do not have this
option."

Boeing
Company NPRM Submission

Broadband Nirvana!

"I want consumers to have a choice of multiple, facilities-based
providers, including not only cable and DSL, but also powerline,
wireless, and satellite services. Such a robustly competitive
and diversified marketplace is something I would call broadband
Nirvana." FCC
Commissioner Abernathy

(According to our dictionary, Nirvana is a
state of unreality which accompanies a profound absence of
desire.)

This statement could well come back
to haunt them!

"Perhaps the greatest testament to our confidence in
power line communications or BPL is our willingness to place
our money where our mouth is -- in that we have never opposed
any FCC rule that clearly states that anyone causing harmful
radio interference must fix the problem or cease operations.
We are simply that confident." Alan
R. Shark, PLCA- 3/30/04

Of course, BPL lawyers are now hotly disputing
with the FCC what exactly is defined by "harmful radio
interference".

BPL - Manufacturer Disclaimer?

Amperion has executed well over the past 2 years. If it remains
as thorough and disciplined, it stands an excellent chance
of making PLC a commercial success - provided it actually
works. Amperion

Word from the White House - Bush
to rewrite Technical Standards!

"So how is some guy in remote Wyoming going to get any
broadband technology? Regulatory policy has got to be wise
and smart as we encourage the spread of this important technology.
There needs to be technical standards to make possible new
broadband technologies, such as the use of high-speed communication
directly over power lines. Power lines were for electricity;
power lines can be used for broadband technology. So the technical
standards need to be changed to encourage that."

President
George W. Bush - 4/26/2004

(All well and good, Mr. President, but without
massive government subsidies, there is little likelihood of
the guy in remote Wyoming getting BPL - it is not considered
economic for deployment in such rural locations.)

GoBPL.com

Copyright
© 2004 GoBPL.com - All rights reserved