Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "SCAM PLANNERS" At It Again- More 800Mhz Non-Sense

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:28:17 -0400

"SCAM PLANNERS" At It Again- More 800Mhz Non-Sense
Nextel Affirms Unwavering Commitment to "Scam Plan"

 Tuesday May 11, 4:18 pm ET

 Eliminates 800 MHz Public Safety Interference
 Provides Additional Spectrum to Public Safety
Fully Funded at No Cost to Taxpayers; Replacement
Spectrum at 1.9 GHz Represents Fair Value; CTIA 2.1
GHz Proposal Unacceptable

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 11, 2004-- Nextel Communications Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today reconfirmed the company's unwavering
commitment to the Consensus Plan. The Consensus Plan is the only
proactive solution before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
that eliminates 800 MHz public safety radio interference and provides
much-needed additional public safety spectrum at no cost to the American
taxpayer. Nextel's commitment to the Consensus Plan is conditioned on
Nextel receiving replacement spectrum at 1.9 GHz in return for its
spectrum and financial contribution worth more than $4 billion. Nextel
also encouraged the FCC to move ahead promptly to adopt the Consensus
Plan.
Nextel is gratified that after more than two years of delay, the
Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) and its
member companies, including Verizon Wireless, have endorsed the basic
structure of the Consensus Plan which includes a realignment of the 800
MHz band and the assignment of replacement spectrum to Nextel in return
for its substantial contributions. However, the association's attempt to
fundamentally alter the terms of the Consensus Plan only serves to delay
a timely FCC decision and is clearly an attempt to penalize Nextel and
its shareholders.

In a letter to FCC Chairman Michael Powell, Nextel Chief Executive
Officer and President Timmy Donahue said, "The Consensus Plan exceeds
every goal you and your fellow Commissioners established for this
proceeding: eliminating interference, providing additional spectrum for
public safety, and minimizing disruption to incumbent 800 MHz licensees.
It will enable all 800 MHz licensees to enjoy interference-free spectrum
use - whether as competitors, in private system use, or in support of
public safety and homeland security missions."

Donahue added, "My responsibility to Nextel's shareholders requires that
Nextel obtain comparable value in any retuning transaction: 2.1 GHz does
not meet that test. Nextel cannot and will not accept that result."

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040511/115965_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/