Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mike Ramnath Motrola's Manager, Regulatory Compliance -On Moto-Talk operation.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:56:30 -0400

26th February 2004
Authorization & Evaluation Division
Federal Communications Commission Laboratory
7435 Oakland Mills Road
Columbia, MD 21046
Gentlemen;

Motorola Inc., 8000 West Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
33322, herein submits its application for Certification of the
transmitter with FCC ID: AZ489FT5830. This variable output power (0.088
to 700 milliwatt) transmitter is part of a handheld transceiver used in
a SMR and EA SMR trunking system operating in the United States
806-821/851-866MHz and 896-901/935-940 MHz frequency band. It also
possess a transmitter that operates in the ISM band (902 – 927 MHz). The
two transmitters are configured so that only one transmitter can operate
at a time. Certification is sought for this transceiver, and performance
data is provided for that purpose.

This transceiver possesses two distinct modes of operation. The
operation mode is selected via the user menu. The two transceivers can
only operate independent of each other and only one mode can operate at
a time.

The first transceiver is of the receive-first type described in
International Telecommunications Union Recommendation ITU-R M.1221
entitled Technical And Operational Requirements For Cellular Multimode
Mobile Radio Stations. It must first find, acquire and lock onto a
control channel from a predefined set of control channel frequencies
assigned to a companion Authorized base station (e.g. FCC ID:
ABZ89FC5792). Transmission is not possible until lock to a base station
control channel has been achieved, then transmission is limited to
digitally modulated service request bursts on the reverse control
channel. Upon recognition of a proper request, the control channel base
station transmitter will then assign the transceiver a traffic channel
for transmission of digital voice or circuit-switched data from the set
of frequencies for which the trunking system is licensed. Attached
Exhibit 12.1 provides additional descriptive details.

The second transceiver is frequency hopping spread spectrum operating in
the unlicensed ISM (902-928 MHz) band. It uses an FSK (Frequency Shift
Key) modulation, 50KHz spacing up to 1 watt. The protocol is defined to
have 10 interleaved hopsets of 50 frequencies each with 500 kHz
separation between set members. All 10 hopsets span the entire ISM band.

In the ISM transceiver mode, conversations are held only via the
speakerphone; the earpiece is disabled. In addition, the ISM transceiver
mode does not function while plugged into a wall charger unit.

Applicant: Motorola Inc FCC ID: AZ489FT5830

It is expected that this handheld time division multiplexed transceiver
marketed in the United States will also be used for itinerant operation
with companion Authorized Base Stations by users requesting trunked
radio and telephone interconnect service while roaming outside the
United States. In some countries the companion base stations are
licensed to operate at frequencies in the 821-825/866-870 MHz band in
addition to some of those in the 806-821/851-866 MHz band normally used
in United States SMR systems. Consequently, this transmitter has been
designed to meet FCC requirements for operation in the 806-821 MHz band
over the more global band of 806 - 825 MHz when used with a companion
Authorized Base Station.

Thus, performance data is provided to substantiate FCC compliant
operation with a Companion
Base Station over the broader 806 to 825 MHz band expected for global
use of this handheld
transceiver.

To facilitate global roaming it is kindly requested that a note be
provided in the Grant for Equipment Authorization, which states that
this ‘receive first’ type of equipment is compliant for transmitter
operation over the broader range 806-825 MHz when used with a compatible
Authorized Base Station. This will aid equipment authorization in
foreign countries, which accept a United States FCC Grant for Equipment
Authorization, yet not jeopardize United States public safety or
cellular systems licensed to operate in the 821-825 MHz frequency band
since no compatible base station may be authorized on those frequencies
in the United States.  It is also expected that this transceiver type
will be marketed outside the United States and brought into the United
States for itinerant “roaming” operation on compatible 806 - 821 MHz
base stations located within the United States. Consequently, upon
receipt of Authorization, only those units of this equipment type
authorized for marketing in countries outside the United States will
also bear a label with the specified FCC identifier.

In accordance with 47 CFR 2.1093(c) this transmitter may be used in
“covered” SMR service so it has been subjected to routine environmental
evaluation for RF exposure and found to be compliant with the limits
specified in 47 CFR 2.1093(d)(2).
The subject transmitter complies with 47 CFR 90.203 of the rules in that
the operator cannot directly program transmit frequencies using only the
unit's normally accessible external controls.

This transceiver can function as a Part 15.3(r) computer peripheral
device when functioning as
an RF modem when connected to a computer via a data cable (ref: Exhibit
12.1). For this
reason a Declaration of Conformity has been prepared and is provided on
Page 5 of the user
Manual in the Exhibit 8.

Enclosed is a complete Certification Application comprised of 12
Exhibits. Contact me at (954)
723-5793 if you require any additional information.

Sincerely,
/s/ Mike Ramnath (signed)
Manager, Regulatory Compliance
Email: [email-masked]

https://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=399957&native_or_pdf=pdf

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/