Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel may pay for broadcasters move to new airwaves

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 03:56:50 -0400

Nextel may pay for broadcasters move to new airwaves
Monday May 3, 8:19 pm ET

WASHINGTON, May 3 (Reuters) - Nextel Communications Inc. (NasdaqNM:NXTL
- News) on Monday proposed paying about $512 million to move the
electronic news gathering operations of television broadcasters from
airwaves Nextel wants to use.

The proposal, part of a larger plan
to resolve interference with public
safety communications, would free
up airwaves Nextel has been
seeking access to from the Federal
Communications Commission (News
- Websites) .

Broadcast auxiliary services are
used to send signals, like video
footage, between two points, like
from a remote truck to a studio. The
services are used by local television
stations across the country.

The National Association of Broadcasters and the Association for Maximum
Service Television joined Nextel in proposing the plan for moving their
broadcast news gathering operations from the 1.9 Ghz band to 2025-2110
Mhz band.

"In return for receiving replacement spectrum at 1.9 Ghz, Nextel has
agreed to provide relocation compensation for stations and deploy future
Nextel service in a way that avoids limiting electronic news gathering
operations," NAB, MSTV and Nextel said in a joint statement.

The FCC is contemplating a plan to reorganize the 800 megahertz band
where Nextel operates to resolve interference with emergency services
communications. The agency is considering moving Nextel to either the
1.9 gigahertz or 2.1 Ghz band, sources familiar with the matter have
said.

NAB and MSTV have estimated that the cost to move their electronic news
gathering operations would be roughly $512 million. If the costs ran
more, Nextel would pay for additional costs, according to the company.

The plan calls for moving the broadcast services over 30 months and is
dependent on the FCC approving the whole Nextel relocation plan. An
agency spokeswoman said the commission would review the latest proposal.

Nextel, the No. 6 U.S. wireless carrier based on subscribers, has
already proposed paying $850 million to cover the costs of reorganizing
the 800 Mhz band and moving public safety groups to new airwaves.

Other companies, like Verizon Wireless, have opposed Nextel getting
airwaves in the 1.9 Ghz band and said they want those auctioned off to
the highest bidder. Carriers are hungry for new airwaves to expand and
offer new services.

The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association, which represents
wireless carriers and opposes Nextel's overall plan, has urged the FCC
to require Nextel pay at least $3 billion for fixing the 800 Mhz band
and receive airwaves in the 2.1 Ghz band instead of 1.9 Ghz.

"Nextel's idea is a good one, but perhaps it is better applied to the
wireless industry's compromise proposal, which would deliver $3 billion
to public safety to help them relocate their spectrum assignments, too,"
CTIA spokesman Travis Larson said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040503/telecoms_wireless_nextel_1.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/