Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More police due in for G-8

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:36:39 -0400

More police due in for G-8
Thu, May 20, 2004
Island airport will be hub
By KAREN SLOAN
The Brunswick News

They may wear different uniforms, come from different states and have
different areas of expertise.
But the numerous local, state and federal law enforcement agencies and
military personnel involved in Group of 8 Sea Island Summit security
will have one common goal: ensure the safety and security of the summit
and surrounding area.
While the eyes of the world will be focused on Sea Island June 8 through
10 as the eight world leaders meet to discuss international issues,
farther down Frederica Road, at the McKinnon St. Simons Island Airport,
summit security decisions will be made at the Multi-Agency Command
Center.

Each security agency will be represented at the center, where efforts
will be coordinated.

The center stands as a testament to the collaborative nature of the
summit security plan, which involves not only the local police
departments, but 18 different state agencies, and federal entities from
the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Department of Defense,
Department of Justice and the Department of Transportation.

Though many agencies have been mobilized for the G-8, the U.S. Secret
Service is the lead agency involved in summit security, and has been
charged with overseeing the security plans.

"We work in partnerships with different agencies," said Secret Service
spokesman Tom Mazur. "We're the event planners, but each department has
its own responsibilities."

Mazur declined to say how many people will be involved in overall summit
security, though the number is expected to be in the thousands.

For the U.S. Coast Guard, summit responsibilities will include
patrolling the waterways within the designated security zone, and
ensuring that no unauthorized vessels enter the area.

The Georgia State Patrol has been mobilized to help provide crowd
control, and even the Georgia Department of Transportation is getting
into the act by sending Highway Emergency Response Operators to assist
with traffic flow during the summit.

The Georgia Emergency Management Agency, which is overseeing the
involvement of state agencies, said it will provide support for
infrastructure protection, food safety and epidemiology surveillance,
medical support and water security, among other things.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation will also play a critical role. FBI
spokesman Steve Lazarus said the agency's two summit responsibilities
are crisis response and management, and intelligence gathering and
dissemination prior to the event.
"If there were to be a terrorist attack and we had to open a criminal
investigation, we would be the ones to handle that," Lazarus said.

The FBI already has agents in the area, and will have an on-site force
as large as it feels is necessary to handle any problems that may arise.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is also participating in summit
security and safety, Mazur said.
Just where the different security agencies and personnel will be
stationed and housed is information that authorities aren't revealing.

Though Glynn County school officials have said that a number of security
agencies have requested the use of several school facilities, Glynn
County Attorney Gary Moore said many agencies have chosen to operate
from privately owned facilities.
Of county-owned properties, only Gascoigne Park has been rented out for
use. Sea Island Co. plans to use the area for temporary employee parking
during the summit, said Moore.

Sgt. Kevin Jones with the Brunswick Police Department said residents can
expect to see security agencies using schools and Howard Coffin Park as
police staging areas.

http://www.thebrunswicknews.com/front/299532814556569.php

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/