Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: New proposals offer 800 MHz hope, but don't expect a quick decision

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:20:09 -0400

Oh, so now everybody catches on...............
And no 2.1 Ghz is not Valuable enough.......

> MRT's Wavelengths 
> 
> New proposals offer 
> 800 MHz hope, not a quick decision 
> 
> 
> It won't be easy. Should the FCC award 2.1 GHz spectrum to Nextel, 
> it would limit the legal challenges to an order. However, because 
> there's no equipment ready made for 2.1 GHz, there's no question 
> that the spectrum is less valuable than 1.9 GHz airwaves. Would it
be 
> valuable enough for Nextel to cover the entire cost of rebanding? 
> That's questionable. 

http://enews.primediabusiness.com/enews/mobileradi
otech/mrt_bulletin/2004_may_7_572004/view.html

 The other HOT issue is propagation.  Some Quick &  Dirty
(Un-modeled) Planet®  Plots 
(http://www.marconi.com/html/products/wirelessnetworkplanning.htm)
shows it will take approx. 12% more sites to cover the same 
area at 2.1 Ghz than at 1.9 Ghz. So look for this to be the next
issue why Nextel won't take 2.1 Ghz.

Now if Powell gives Timmy 2.1Ghz "On-Da-Cheap" and applies the 2
Ghz MMDS (Which they already have in many maj. 
markets) rules to that band, Nextel may jump. But then they will have
the wrath of Sprint PCS to deal with. Litigation to the left, More 
Litigation to the right and an escape door  in the middle (Nov.
election) for powell . Powell is prob saying "If I can just hold
on...just a  few more months". Powell prob has his "Jump Bag" packed
and ready to go. He will leave this mess for the next commish to deal 
with. 

I guess powell said "They did It To Me"...............(Nextwave)

BTW- >IF< Kerry wins look for Hundt ( currently his "Go-To-Guy" on
wireless) to have some role in spectrum management.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:38:27 -0400

This is NOW the Hot issue along with equipment costs.........
Looks like CTIA did some Due Diligence on this issue too.......

From the CTIA Filing-

"In the reverse link (mobile to base), the 1.9 GHz and 2.1 GHz bands are
separated by only 110 MHz. Based purely on free space loss, at a given
distance, the differential reverse link path loss between the 1.9 GHz and
2.1 GHz bands is only 0.48 dB. Using the well-accepted COST 231 Hata model,9
the difference is very small, approximately 0.6 dB (0.5 dB) in a suburban
(rural) area. In the forward link (base to mobile), the 1.9 GHz and 2.1 GHz
bands are separated by 180 MHz. This difference in frequency results in a
differential forward link path loss of approximately 1.1 dB (0.8 dB) for a
suburban (rural) area."

<SNIP>

"In coverage-limited situations, such as in rural areas, propagation
differences may need to be considered. For these types of systems, the
reverse link is typically the limiting factor. As has already been noted,
the use of 2.1 GHz versus 1.9 GHz would result in a differential path loss
of approximately 0.5 dB in a rural environment. This translates into a small
loss of cell range of approximately 3% and a loss in cell area of 6%."

Excellent! Planet is right on point (even on the Quick &  Dirty).
The 12% ( coverage limited estimation ) noted below will likely decrease
slightly once the tuning begins and the model is "tweaked".

> From:  "marcel_rf1" <Marcelrf@B...>
> Date:  Fri May 7, 2004  5:17 pm
> Subject:  Re: New proposals offer 800 MHz hope, but don't expect a quick
> decision
>