Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell Confident 800 MHz Decision Coming Soon

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:52:08 -0400

Powell Confident 800 MHz Decision Coming Soon
BY MARK ROCKWELL
MAY 13, 2004

WASHINGTON -- FCC Chairman Michael Powell isn't concerned a major player
in the move to eliminate interference in the 800 MHz band may walk away
from the effort.

Powell, in remarks following a regularly scheduled commission meeting
today, said he "hopes to have a decision by the end of the month" on the
issue. The road to that decision got rockier earlier this week, however.
Nextel Communications President and CEO Tim Donahue sent a pointed
letter threatening to "reject" any solution that included replacement
spectrum at 2.1 GHz, instead of Nextel's preferred 1.9 GHz spectrum. The
letter apparently didn't faze the chairman. He said he is "confident"
all the parties involved in working on the issue will find a solution,
in spite of the flaring rhetoric.

"People say whatever they say in letters," he said, indicating he didn't
think Nextel would walk away from talks if 2.1 GHz was part of a
decision. The process of deciding to take either the 1.9 GHz path or the
2.1 GHz path is still in detailed discussion at the commission,
according to Powell. "Both proposals are good," he said. "Each has a set
of private interests" associated with it. The details are still being
discussed and walk outs aren't imminent, he added. "We haven't reached
that point yet," he said.
The commission issued a set of proposed new rules during the meeting
that would allow unlicensed use of unused broadcast spectrum for
wireless Internet access.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=05/13/04

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/