Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Directory Brings Up Privacy Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:19:34 -0400

Wireless Directory Brings Up Privacy Issues

A 411 directory of wireless phone numbers is being compiled for release
later this year or early next year. CTIA - The Wireless Association,
which is creating the opt-in wireless directory, says only those
consumers who want to be listed will be included. Privacy advocates are
concerned that such a directory would increase the number of unwanted
calls and spam messages to wireless phones. U.S.  Rep. Joseph R. Pitts
(R-Pa.) is introducing a bill that would prevent wireless carriers from
including customers without permission and keep carriers from charging
customers who opt for unlisted numbers. Verizon Wireless said it would
not include its 39 million subscribers in the directory. CTIA and other
wireless carriers have emphasized that the service is completely opt-in,
that consumers will not be charged not to be listed and that these
numbers will not be made available to telemarketers. Carriers have also
given refunds to customers who received unwanted calls. (Source:
LA Times)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/