Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More Homeland Security Grants on the Way

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:21:55 -0400

More Homeland Security Grants on the Way

 By: Wayne Thomas May 11, 2004

The Franklin County area could be receiving a substantial amount of
money through Homeland Security Grants.
The grant money has been tentatively approved by board members of the
District Six organization that Franklin County is a part of.

The other members of the region are Rutherford, Lincoln, Marshall,
Bedford, Coffee, and Moore Counties.
The regional organization approved $94,000 for communications, which
will be used to purchase a repeater and radios.
According to Sheriff Mike Foster, the money was awarded to "all of the
counties in the region."

"We will get a UHF and a VHF repeater to provide coverage for our law
enforcement agencies as well as the fire departments," Communication
Director Mike Holmes stated.

"The Franklin County Rescue Squad would receive $31,435," Foster stated.
Rescue Director Scott Smith explained that the money would be used for
underwater searches for any type of explosive devices or chemicals.

"We received $203,000 to equip our communication trailer with
interoperable communications equipment," Franklin County Emergency
Management Agency Director Eric Trussell explained.

Trussell said that the trailer would be available if any county in the
seven county region had a disaster and was in need of communications.

"We would be able to tie several frequencies together and allow the
emergency people to communicate over one frequency," Trussell explained.

Foster noted that the regional group also approved the purchase of a
forensic crimes and hazardous materials response vehicle.

"The truck was approved for Winchester and Fayetteville," the sheriff
stated. Where the truck will be housed has not been decided yet, however
the sheriff stated that wherever the vehicle is housed, then that
department would have to service and maintain the "upkeep on it."

Foster explained that if any county in the region had a crime and they
needed a central location to place all of the evidence they collect from
the scene, then the truck would be summoned and the evidence could be
processed in it.

The fire departments of the region received a grant of $242,269. The
committee decided that the money would be used to purchase a heavy
rescue truck.

The truck would be used in the event of a building collapsing or some
type of heavy equipment is needed to make a rescue.
The committee decided that the fire vehicle would be housed at the state
fire training center in Bell Buckle.

The emergency medical services of the region were awarded $75,000 to
purchase needed equipment. That equipment will also be housed the fire
academy.

A grant of $36,993 was awarded to Coffee and Marshall Counties for
citizen cop grant program.
The Red Cross got $5,520 from the region, which will be used to purchase
radios.

In addition to Foster being a member on the regional committee, Estill
Springs Fire Chief Anthony Lowhorn represents the fire chiefs of the
region. Winchester Public Safety Director Dennis Young is an alternate
member of the committee.

A meeting was held Friday of last week in Manchester of all EMAs and 911
(or communication directors) to discuss the communication needs of the
region. Trussell and Holmes attended that meeting.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1614&dept_id=515334&newsid=11624594&PAG=461&rfi=9

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/