Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ITA, AMTA to coordinate paging, special-emergency frequencies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 14:55:47 -0400

ITA, AMTA to coordinate paging, special-emergency frequencies
By HEATHER FORSGREN WEAVER
May 07 12:35:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—The FCC’s Wireless Telecommunications Bureau said Thursday it
had certified the Industrial Telecommunications Association and the
American Mobile Telecommunications Association as frequency coordinators
in the 929-930 MHz paging frequencies and the special-emergency
frequencies below 512 MHz.

“After careful consideration of the information before us, we are
persuaded that ITA has the qualifications necessary to follow the rules
and regulations in performing frequency coordination in the 929-930 MHz
paging and special-emergency categories. We therefore grant ITA’s
request for certification to provide frequency coordination,” said
D’wana Terry, chief of the public safety and critical-infrastructure
division of the FCC’s Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, and Roger Noel
chief of the WTB mobility division. “Since AMTA has already requested
certification for these categories in the context of this proceeding, we
hereby certify AMTA to coordinate frequencies in these two categories.”

ITA filed its request June 27, 2002. In comments, AMTA did not oppose
ITA’s request but asked that it too be certified.
Both entities are currently frequency coordinators for other
private-wireless bands.

A frequency coordinator is a private-sector entity that recommends which
channels should be used in an area taking into consideration other users
and interference concerns. The Federal Communications Commission began
certifying multiple coordinators in 1997.

Because many different organizations may believe that a certain channel
is available for use, frequency coordinators are required to communicate
on a daily business which frequencies they intend to assign and to whom.

“To encourage and facilitate the cooperation between in-category
coordinators, we will require that each coordinator communicate at least
once each business day with each other in-category coordinator. Even on
days that there is no coordination, communication between coordinators
is required,” said Terry and Noel.

Prior to the wireless bureau’s decision, the Personal Communications
Industry Association was the only certified frequency coordination in
the 900 MHz paging frequencies, and PCIA and the International Municipal
Signal Association/International Association of Fire Chiefs were the
only certified frequency coordinators for the special-emergency
frequencies.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18017
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/