Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Blocked signals being probed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 10:25:58 -0400

Saturday, May 1, 2004
Blocked signals being probed
Associated Press

ALFRED — York County officials believe someone is deliberately jamming
emergency radio frequencies, putting firefighters and potentially other
emergency workers at risk. There have been eight incidents of emergency
radio communications blocked over the past two months, said county
electronics technician Keith Page.

Page and York County Sheriff's Department Lt. Gary Fecteau believe the
interference is deliberate, not an accident caused by the proliferation
of cell phones or a dead spot where radio transmissions transmit poorly.

Waterboro Fire Chief Frank Birkemose recalls trying to use his radio to
contact firefighters inside the burning structure to convey some
information while battling a mobile home fire recently.

Birkemose couldn't get through, and authorities believe it's because
someone with a two-way radio intentionally blocked his communication.

Birkemose ended up sending someone inside to relay the message, and he
had to use a cell phone to communicate with York County dispatchers
because he couldn't reach them on his public safety radio.

"It boils me," he said. "I had people in the building in a dangerous
situation and we couldn't maintain communication with each other."

The incidents take place mostly on weeknights after 5 p.m. and on
weekends. In most cases, Page said, the interference consists of silence
but sometimes noise is broadcast.

Fecteau said the Federal Communications Commission is participating in
the investigation.

An FCC spokeswoman declined to comment on specifics but confirmed a
report of interference on a frequency used by the fire departments. She
said the agency is involved in investigating the incident.

There are 21 agencies that use York County Communications. The
interference has been broadcast on the primary fire frequency used by 16
departments.

Limerick Fire Chief Roland Le- Page said the incidents seems to happen
when fire departments are the busiest. "It seems like it happens when
there's multiple calls going on," LePage said.

Penalties for deliberately interfering with emergency radio traffic are
hefty. In situations where someone is apprehended, a $10,000 fine can be
levied, and the cases are turned over to federal prosecutors.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 11:02:37 -0400

Yahoo! Groups Links