Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fresno, Calif., Airport Launches Wi-Fi Internet Access

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 01:27:58 -0400

Fresno, Calif., Airport Launches Wi-Fi Internet Access
Source: The Fresno Bee
Publication date: 2004-05-07
Arrival time: 2004-05-06

May 7--High-speed wireless Internet service is boosting efficiency for
laptop computer-users who travel through Fresno Yosemite International
Airport.

City and airport officials held a wire-cutting ceremony Thursday to
launch Wi-Fi, or "wireless fidelity," a technology that allows
Wi-Fi-compatible laptops and some personal digital assistants to send
and receive data using radio signals.
"What's so great about this is you're not having to sit down and look
for a place to plug into the Internet," said Pamela D. Brown, vice
president of business development for Airport Network Solutions in
Portland, Ore., installers of the wireless system.

The company partnered with the airport to design, install and operate
the network, said FYI spokeswoman Patti Miller. "They are doing this in
anticipation of the airport growing."
The airport did not pay for the service.
Older laptops may need upgrading with a wireless network card to use
Wi-Fi, available for about $60 at electronics and computer stores. Most
late-model laptops are Wi-Fi-ready, Brown said.
Computer-users also must have a browser, such as Internet Explorer or
Netscape Navigator, and a credit card to pay the daily fee of $6.95. The
fee allows unlimited access to the FYI network for 24 hours. Coverage is
provided in all public areas of the airport, but sessions can not be
transferred to other airports with Wi-Fi service.
Once connected, the browser will open to an FYI welcome page, offering
information on arrival-departure times, shuttle bus services or airport
security. From there, computer-users can access the Internet to check
e-mail or surf the Web.
Steve Newvine, chief executive officer for the Greater Fresno Chamber of
Commerce, said the wireless service will make FYI more attractive to
customers.

"I think it's a technology that customers are demanding," he said. "It's
one more service this airport can offer."
Feedback was mixed from passengers Thursday.

Several people said they did not own laptops, while others said they
normally travel without them.
But Jennifer Guzman, a Pacific Gas and Electric Co. employee in Fresno,
said she thought the new service was great.
"I'm going to ask for a laptop at work," she said, as she waited for a
flight to Boise, Idaho, on a bench outside of the American Airlines
counter.

Her husband, Dan Guzman, offered another perspective: "I believe you
have to leave work behind sometimes."

To see more of The Fresno Bee, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to
http://www.fresnobee.com

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=50802113&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/