Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Introduces Market Leading Cross-Technology Push-To-Talk over Cellular (PoC) Solution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:34:03 -0400

Motorola Introduces Market Leading Cross-Technology Push-To-Talk over
Cellular (PoC) Solution
IMS-based solution enables “push-to” connectivity across GPRS, CDMA2000
1X and WiFi; expands PoC roaming areas for
wireless operators with networks on different technologies, brings
coverage to WiFi enterprise environments

ARLINGTON HTS., Ill. – May 25, 2004 – Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) a leader
in Push-To-Talk technologies and commercial
deployments of Push-To-Talk over Cellular (PoC) solutions, today
announced its unique Cross-Technology PoC offering that
enables subscribers to have "push-to" connectivity across and between
GPRS, CDMA2000 1X, and WiFi networks. This is a
network-based solution, aligned with Open Mobile Alliance (OMA)
standards, that does not require modification to standards-based PoC
clients.

“We built upon existing open standards, and then utilized our
softswitching expertise and IP networking elements to develop this
innovative Cross-Technology PoC solution,” said Murali Aravamudan, vice
president and general manager, Winphoria Division of
Motorola’s Global Telecom Solutions Sector. “And, because the
Cross-Technology PoC solution functions using the Motorola IP
Multimedia Subsystem (IMS), it can be upgraded to enable future
‘push-to’ enhancements and functionality such as Push-To-Video.”
Motorola’s Cross-Technology PoC solution provides several advantages
that can help operators broaden the availability of PoC
service to meet the increasing interest from consumers worldwide. First,
it enables operators with networks on different
technologies to offer customers on all of their networks the ability to
stay connected with the push of a button. Second, it can
benefit operators that negotiate network interconnection agreements by
increasing roaming areas, thereby allowing subscribers
on different networks to have “push-to” connectivity over a wider area.
And third, it is attractive to enterprises with WiFi networks
since it expands PoC roaming coverage into their premises.

Motorola’s Cross-Technology PoC solution supports the interworking of
multiple Internet Protocol (IP) based technologies
including: General Packet Radio Service (GPRS); the CDMA2000 1X family
of technologies; and IEEE 802.11 “WiFi”. The
solution also will be compatible in the future with Enhanced Data Rate
for Global Evolution (EDGE), High Speed Packet
Downlink Access (HSDPA), Wideband CDMA/Universal Mobile
Telecommunications System (W-CDMA/UMTS), and 802.16
“WiMAX” technologies. It is available for technical trials with select
customers.

Offering a complete end-to-end solution for PoC including open
standards-based infrastructure and handset solutions, Motorola is
working to bring the benefits of this easy-to-use, walkie-talkie style
communication to consumers and enterprise users worldwide.

# # #

Media Contacts:
Kathi Haas
Motorola GTSS
+1-480-732-2835
[email-masked]

Elizabeth Berglund
Hill & Knowlton for Motorola
+1-312-255-3129
[email-masked]