Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Mobile repeaters and NY State Wireless Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 09:21:17 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: blitz <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: Mobile repeaters and NY State Wireless Network

After watching this for a week, some comments, having serviced the NY
state police vhf system off and on for years now.
There are certain obvious problems with saying vehicular repeaters will
supplant a tower system.

First, mobile elevation is crap. Unless you're going to park a patrol
car on a mountain peak, with a battery charger this is not a good
substitute for towers. Second, in any event, cars tend to cluster. On
interstates, near doughnut shops, anywhere but where they would be
helpful to expand the coverage. There will be multiple cars keying up
all the time, contributing to theproblem when this happens. Interstates
and normal highways run thru valleys, not on mountaintops. It happens.
Nothing is going to change that.  Next, take the inherent path
degradation of digital over an analog system, I know you're going to say
that's all worked out, but again, it taint so.  Digital isn't as good as
analog over a shaky vhf channel.  I know the Adirondacks, I hunt there,
were talking mountains and valleys, and a lot of rock between highways.
Its not going to be much help to add mobile repeaters. The Statzpolitzi
used to have them a while back statewide, and they ripped them
out..another GE fiasco. More maintenance than they were worth.

My guess is in the Adirondacks they will utilize ranger stations and
fire lookouts for repeaters and come up with an excuse to build more. I
dont see much other way out, OR they can revert to their old low-band 42
mhz channels for mountainous terrain. They're used in other areas now,
and still licensed statewide.

Their statewide coverage on vhf is pretty good now, using 100 watt bases
and 100 watt mobiles. I don't see this project improving anything. There
will be work-around's if its to perform even at the present levels.
Bottom line, is, it's all politics, someone putting a big chunk of cash
in their pockets, nothing else here in NY is done unless its bribes up
the wazoo. This is merely the latest collusion between sales cretins and
politicians.

They should fix the crumbling roads and bridges before they spend
anything on radios, I hate to say, but it's true, but theyre too busy
squandering the taxpayers money on welfare and giving illegal aliens
free college educations while state citizens have to pay for theirs.

At 19:53 5/8/2004, "cjmac49"  [email-masked]  wrote:

> > The concept of using mobile/vehicular repeaters
> > (as the report seemed to suggest) to reduce the
> > number of standard repeater antenna towers that
> > would otherwise be needed to insure adequate
> > coverage is an intriguing one -- wonder how well
> > this idea will actually work in this system?
> >
>I have been involved in providing radio comm to the Adirondacks for a
>while and would NEVER consider anything above >VHF High.  The entity
>that I work for once proposed an 800 MHz trunked system to cover our
>area of service which >includes the Adirondacks.  The idea was
>scrapped because of the high cost for the MANY towers we would need
>and the >difficulty in dealing with the the adirondack Park Agency.
>
>We have tried mobile repeaters (pacrats to you motoroliers out there)
>with "some" success.  I try to NEVER plan for >portables to be issued,
>even with vehicle adapters due to their inability to reliably
>communicate in the Adirondacks.  >Beautiful country - bad radio land.
>
>I am in the process of rolling out a P25 VHFH digital system in
>another part of the state and so far have no plans to migrate >to the
>adirondacks due to the high cost of equipment for the number of >people
served and major coverage issues.
>
>Since the demise of the real General Electric Radio Division in the
>mid eighties I do not trust that portion of the LMR >equipment
>suppliers.  In my HUMBLE opinion - they don't make the gear.  So am I
>skeptical that they can pull this off >successfully.
>
>Thanks for the reading.
>
>Jim
>
>Maybe I should get a job with NYS on this project.  It ought to last
>until I retire - and then some.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/