Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: [WFHSG] Nextel Gov. Sales - Real Scary~~~~~~

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:57:34 -0400

None of that helped users in Western North Carolina recently when a fiber
line cut took out the western half of the state's Nextel network.

Rik Rasmussen
Two Way Radio Directory
http://twowayradiodirectory.com

Original Message:
-----------------
From:  [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:12:31 -0400
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [WFHSG] Nextel Gov. Sales - Real Scary~~~~~~

--- "Cox, Rick" <[email-masked] wrote:
This is one of the times that I am not very happy with our marketing
people. They just don't get the word out about our capabilities.

Nextel does in fact offer priority access to first responders, etc. I
have a document that I could e-mail you that lists the various levels of
priority etc. Today this is offered on our Direct Connect (walkie
talkie) feature, as well as our packet data capabilities. We expect to
be able to offer it on the cellular call side of the house later this
year.  Although if Ma Bell is congested that probably won't buy you much
in a crisis.

Another thing you should be aware of is that our Direct Connect and
packet data offerings run without reliance on the PSTN (Public Switched
Telephone Network aka Ma Bell), we carry those services purely on our
network.

<Nextel double talk------ Mabell or No Mabell>
Our only reliance on Ma Bell is for some of our T1s that connect cell
sites to our switching offices. Thus in a crisis situation cell calls
are typically hosed, while our walkie talkie and data services typically
keep on working.

With priority access, you would get through with these services before
the civilians.

Another aspect you might want to know about is Emergency Group Connect.
If you are familiar with our network, and our Direct Connect capability,
you probably know about Group Call, where multiple phones are tied into
a single direct connect call.  With Emergency Group Connect such a call
can be initiated by a command phone, which will cause all members of
that group who are in coverage to be brought onto the call. Even if this
means ruthless preempting other callers to make room on the cellsite(s)
for the group member. Such a call will also dedicate space on the
tower(s) for the users until the call is terminated.
If you haven't given Nextel a serious look in the last year or so I'll
suggest you take another look.  We've been very busy adding features for
folks like you. That's one of the biggest reasons I've stayed with the
company for more than 3 years. I could make more money by leaving, but
no one else does what we do, and I'm more than a little proud of that.

Again, I don't make commissions, nor am I looking for accolades if any
of you become Nextel customers.  My job is to help government folks
understand what Nextel brings to the table. So I feel that I'm doing
that here. At the same time I hope I can help Americans have the very
best protection possible. I know I want that for my city, county, state,
and nation.
If you have any questions, or want any information, please let me know.
I promise not to turn into a sales puke on you. I will give you all the
info I have without any fluff. I will be the first to tell you if the
fit isn't good between your needs and our services.

Rick Cox

============================================================================
=====

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert H. McCool [mailto:rmccool@u...]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: feedback needed on equipment for
 EOCs, ICS, etc.

I have to agree with Ken Harrell. Pagers, commercial wireless devices,
etc.  are good adjuncts to dedicated public safety radio communication
systems, but they aren't a substitute for them. Most of the wireless
companies just don't (and probably can't, given the size of their
systems) sink the type of dollars into their systems that it would take
to guarantee continued effective operation in most disaster situations.
In addition to a lack of standby power at many sites, the cellular and
PCS infrastructures are also so closely linked to the hardwired
telephone system that any major disruptions of that system can affect
them as well. Many of their facilities also lack hardening and heavy
duty access control measures.

Also, in spite of efforts to develop one, most commercial wireless
carriers don't really have a good system in place for guaranteeing (and
effectively implementing) priority access to public safety users. Given
the high volume of communications traffic that's often produced by a
disaster, as those involved try to get help, verify the safety of loved
ones, reassure friends and family of their own safety, etc., even the
best commercial communications system can rapidly become overloaded. In
almost all cases where mission critical emergency communications are
involved, a dedicated radio system under your own control - well
designed, with good equipment, backup power, plans in place to repair or
replace damaged equipment promptly, etc. - is the best answer.
Commercial communications devices are great supplements for that type of
system, but they can't readily replace it.

If for some reason you do decide to go with a commercial communications
infrastructure, make sure that there are some serious guarantees -- and
meaningful penalties for non-performance -- written into the contract,
or you can easily find yourself at the mercy of the commercial carrier
in terms of what level of service is provided, especially under overload
and/or disaster conditions. The fact that most commercial carriers will
try to avoid any talk of a guaranteed level of service, much less
penalties for failure to provide it, is a good indicator of their
awareness of their own limitations. They aren't bad folks, they're just
in a for-profit business of delivering services to a market that is
generally driven more by pricing and bells-and-whistles concerns than by
a need to operate effectively for days or weeks in a disaster situation.

Finally, with regard to computers, the ToughBooks are just what they
claim to be -- very tough. They aren't "cutting edge" in power or
performance, and they're certainly not cheap, but the ones I've worked
with have all been exceptionally durable, even in a field environment.
(They're as close to "cop proof" and "rescue tech proof" as I've ever
seen in a piece of electronic equipment.)

***Robert McCool***

Program Manager, Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center Training
Officer, Madison County Rescue Squad, Inc.
Deputy Sheriff, Wayne County Sheriff's Office

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web - Check your email from the web at
http://mail2web.com/ .

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:37:50 -0400

What makes this whole issue dangerous is some of our trusted public safety
officials are regurgitating information that is incorrect, inaccurate or places
additional liability on the PSAP and department when it come to using commercial
radios in public safety applications. Here is just one example.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MESSAGE: (#2773) Re: Why do magazines keep pushing Commercial radio
<http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi?rev=2773>
AUTHOR: Charles Werner
DATE: Monday, 26 April 2004, at 8:36 a.m.
Reply To: (#2766) Re: Why do magazines keep pushing Commercial radio
Date: Thursday, 22 April 2004, at 8:50 p.m.

Hello all and thanks for the extremely important dialogue on commercial services
in the public safety environment.
There are a number of very important points that must not be overlooked.

First, let me reemphasize that I too do not advocate commercial wireless
solutions as the primary means for voice communications and neither does Nextel.

As one reply mentions, commercial wireless services fill a niche that can
provide a parallel (and much needed) radio communications network that fits
nicely into the public safety environment. Nextel is perhaps one of the most
popular parallel solutions in this setting (because its push to talk,
walkie-talkie feature is a true 800 MHz radio system unlike most of the others).

This a critical element because it separates functionality from the typical
cellular phone and most all other push-to-talk competitors. Why is this
important? Because it means, and has been demonstrated that it will function
while the public telephone switch is overwhelmed (because the radio function
works even when all other cellular phones will not. While some commercial
vendors indicate they can take measures like redirecting to other public
telephone switches, this often requires some sort of manual switching to
accomplish. The larger point, is that when events like 9/11 occur, the affect on
telephone systems is a nationally prolific experience. In other words, phone
systems across the nation are overwhelmed disabling almost every telephone
(landline or wireless - EXCEPT Nextel's Direct Connect because it works on a
separate radio network.

The other points, it has been proven that during catastrophic events, even the
best radio systems can be overwhelmed (Avalanche Effect). Thus the commericial
wireless parallel network provides a logistical network for important
communications. And, even when there is a primary radio system in place,
sometimes it falls victim to some sort of failure. I have experienced this
myself, when both our primary and secondary radio systems were damaged by
electrical storms, the Nextel system became a backup to the backup and it worked
flawlessly - thank God it was there. Also, we have been experiencing so much
radio skip that the Nextel has become the only way we could get through clearly
with our Fire Dispatch. We are in the process of implementing a new 800 MHz
radio system but again, the commercial wireless solution has bought us critical
time.

Additionally, if we examine many volunteer fire and rescue services across the
country, many dont have $$$ to implement the desired radio system that they
would like. Historically, many agencies move to solutions that work and they can
afford. CB radios have been such an example that was and probably still is being
used as a primary radio system for many of these agencies. They do not and will
probably not ever have enough money to install the type of radio system they
would prefer. In their situation, I would not argue that they change from using
a CB to a Nextel or other similar solution. In many cases, these volunteers (and
even career firefighters) use their personal phones to communicate. I have
learned that I do not have right to interfere with solutions that work and can
be afforded by those localities with limited funding. Its not ideal but its
better.
I also like the ability to interface commercial wireless solutions with the
primary radio system to create a hybrid system that allows even more
flexibility. As a chief officer, I am often in meetings or out of town,
solutions such as Nextel's Direct Connect helps me be more efficient and in
contact with my chief officers. I do not have any desire to carry a big radio
around nor would it work when out of town. Tie that functionality into a defined
talk group on a primary 800 MHz public safety radio system and you are cooking
with gas. Who would have ever imagined that I could use my wireless device to
communicate with my chief officers while being 3,000 miles away. Now that's one
heck of a communication system.

Now lets examine expanding a communications network to important non-public
safety agencies. Many agencies such as transportation, health and medical,
schools, public works are critical to communicate with to handle large scale
emergencies. We have seen where Nextel has been a common and easily implemented
means of communicating with these other agencies within their existing budgets,
with devices they will use on a daily basis and not have to learn how to use one
of our radios during an emergency. Trying to get non-public safety people to use
radios (especially trunked systems) has proven to be slow and ineffective.

As far as data goes, there may never be enough money for most localities to
receive funding to establish data applications. This is where commercial
wireless applications provide even more flexibility beyond voice. And because of
competition, they will continue to build new applications and reduce cost to
keep your business. Again, if you are carrying a wireless device and it can be
used to access important data applications - why not?

In some cases, if the local market supports, there are public-private
partnerships that make sense. In our region, Nextel has taken steps to "harden"
their sites and providing emergency generator power to help maintain these
systems that have grown to a higher level of importance in our everyday lives of
public safety.

And while I am an avid supporter of Nextel, I believe that commercial solutions
(in general) have and will have their place in this ever changing world of
technology. If it weren't for the competitive wireless marketplace, many public
safety agencies would never become aware nor would they benefit from such
functionality.
Thanks,

Charles Werner, Deputy Fire Chief
Charlottesville, VA Fire Department