Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Video Seems to Show Beheading of American

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:21:58 -0400

Video Seems to Show Beheading of American
52 minutes ago

CAIRO, Egypt - A video posted Tuesday on an Islamic militant Web site
showed a group affiliated with al-Qaida beheading an
American civilian in Iraq (news - web sites), saying the death was
revenge for the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by American soldiers.
The video showed five men wearing headscarves and black ski masks,
standing over a bound man in an orange jumpsuit — similar to a
prisoner's uniform — who identified himself as Nick Berg, a U.S.
contractor whose body was found on a highway overpass in Baghdad on
Saturday.

"My name is Nick Berg, my father's name is Michael, my mother's name is
Susan," the man said on the video. "I have a brother and sister, David
and Sarah. I live in ... Philadelphia."

After reading a statement, the men were seen pulling the man to his side
and putting a large knife to his neck. A scream sounded as the men cut
his head off, shouting "Allahu Akbar!" — "God is great." They then held
the head out before the camera.

Berg was a small-business owner from the Philadelphia suburbs, his
family said Tuesday.

"For the mothers and wives of American soldiers, we tell you that we
offered the U.S. administration to exchange this hostage with some of
the detainees in Abu Ghraib and they refused," one of the men read from
a statement.

"So we tell you that the dignity of the Muslim men and women in Abu
Ghraib and others is not redeemed except by blood and souls. You will
not receive anything from us but coffins after coffins ...  slaughtered
in this way."

The video bore the title "Abu Musab al-Zarqawi shown slaughtering an
American." It was unclear whether al-Zarqawi — a lieutenant of Osama bin
Laden (news - web sites) — was shown in the video, or was claiming
responsibility for ordering the execution.

The Web site on which the video was posted is known as a clearing house
for al-Qaida and Islamic extremist groups' statements and tapes.
The family of Berg, 26, of West Chester, Pa., said they were informed by
the U.S. State Department on Monday that Berg was found dead near a
highway overpass in Baghdad.

Berg's mother, Suzanne Berg, said her son was in Iraq as an independent
businessman to help rebuild communication antennas.
He had been missing since April 9, she said.

"He had this idea that he could help rebuild the infrastructure," she
said.

The U.S. military Tuesday said an American civilian was found dead in
Baghdad, but did not release his identity. State Department spokeswoman
Susan Pittman said she couldn't release the name of the dead American,
but said she not aware of more than one civilian found dead in recent
days.

The military said there were signs of trauma to the body. Suzanne Berg
said she was told her son's death was violent but did not want to
discuss details.

Berg, who was in Baghdad from late December to Feb. 1, returned to Iraq
in March. He didn't find any work and planned again to
return home on March 30, but his daily communications home stopped on
March 24. He later told his parents he was jailed by Iraqi officials at
a checkpoint in Mosul.

"He was arrested and held without due process," his father, Michael
Berg, told the Daily Local News of West Chester recently.
"By the time he got out the whole area was inflamed with violence.

The FBI (news - web sites) on March 31 interviewed Berg's parents in
West Chester. Jerri Williams, a spokeswoman for the
Philadelphia FBI office, told The Philadelphia Inquirer the agency had
been "asked to interview the parents regarding Mr. Berg's
purpose in Iraq."

On April 5, the Bergs filed suit in federal court in Philadelphia,
contending that their son was being held illegally by the U.S.
military. The next day Berg was released. He told his parents he hadn't
been mistreated.

The Bergs last heard from their son April 9, when he said he would come
home by way of Jordan, Turkey or Kuwait. But by then,
hostilities in Iraq had escalated.

Suzanne Berg on Tuesday said she was told her son's body would be
transported to Kuwait and then to Dover, Del. She said the
family had been trying for weeks to learn where their son was but that
federal officials had not been helpful. "I went through this
with them for weeks," she said. "I basically ended up doing most of the
investigating myself."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&u=/ap/20040511/ap_on_re_mi_ea/egypt_iraq_american_beheaded_2&printer=1

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:43:52 -0400

I'm sick with it......

We need to wipe them out of get the HELL out!

> Video Seems to Show Beheading of American

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:19:43 -0400

This story has generated  national attention. Further details are available via TV broadcasts.

My deepest condolences goes out to the Berg family and friends.

Senseless,  Absolutely Senseless.

Marcel-

[email-masked] wrote:

> Video Seems to Show......................
> 52 minutes ago
>
> showed a group affiliated with al-Qaida

 
Yahoo! Groups Links