Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Pushes Broadcast Move For 1.9

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 15:17:43 -0400

Nextel Pushes Broadcast Move For 1.9 
By Susan Rush
May 4, 2004
news@2 direct

With rumors circulating around Washington that a vote on the so-
called Consensus Plan could come in the near future, more last-
minute cards are being played. The latest: Nextel Communications is 
pushing for a plan to foot the bill to move broadcasters to new 
airwaves in exchange for spectrum at 1.9 GHz.

In a joint filing with the FCC, Nextel, the National Broadcasters 
Association and the Association for Maximum Service Television 
proposed moving broadcast auxiliary services to the 2025-2110 MHz 
band from the 1.9 GHz band. The move is part of Nextel's Consensus 
Plan, which is designed as a fix to the jumbled 800 MHz band.

"The three [organizations] have come together to make a plan that 
provides certainty that broadcasters can move out of the band in a 
way that would ensure no disruption in broadcast auxiliary 
services," says Leigh Horner, a Nextel spokeswoman.

Horner says Nextel has volunteered to pay for the cost of the 
realignment if in return it receives replacement spectrum at 1.9 
GHz. The estimated cost of the move is about $512 million. The 
monies contributed for the move would be in addition to the more 
than $850 million Nextel has pledged to move public safety agencies. 
The company, according to Horner, is putting in millions of dollars 
to support the Consensus Plan. 

"Nextel's idea is a good one, but perhaps it is better applied to 
the wireless industry's compromise proposal, which would deliver $3 
billion to public safety to help them relocate their spectrum 
assignments," CTIA spokesman Travis Larson says. Last week, CTIA 
proposed a compromise for the 800 MHz swap. The organization said 
Nextel should cough up at least $3 billion for a trust fund for 
public safety licensees and be given spectrum at 2.1 GHz instead of 
1.9 GHz. Nextel has said it will not accept a move to 2.1 GHz. 

Another Consensus Plan opponent, Verizon Wireless, recently told the 
FCC it would offer up a $5 billion opening bid on the 10 MHz at 1.9 
GHz.

Horner contends that the Consensus Plan is the only one before the 
FCC that actually solves the inference to public safety 
problems. "It provides additional spectrum for public safety and it 
pays for it," she says.

Nextel is hoping its plan will be approved by the FCC soon, but 
Horner would not comment on the chances of the plan being passed.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=132982&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/