Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell hopes for 800 MHz decision this month

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:03:45 -0400

As previously reported.......

Powell hopes for 800 MHz decision this month

Mobile Radio Technology
May 14, 2004 

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael 
Powell yesterday said he believes the commission can 
issue an order this month in an effort to resolve interference 
problems plaguing public-safety communications at 800 MHz, 
according to numerous reports.

After the FCC’s monthly meeting, Powell told reporters that he 
is “going to shoot for” a decision on the controversial matter by 
the end of May, according to the Wall Street Journal and other 
news services. Any order almost certainly will call for the 
realignment of spectrum users at 800 MHz in a manner that will 
yield contiguous spectrum in the band for public safety and Nextel 
Communications, which is expected to pay the rebanding costs and 
contribute an additional 2.5 MHz of spectrum to public safety.

FCC commissioners must decide what replacement spectrum Nextel 
should receive and how much it should pay for it. Nextel wants 10 
MHz of spectrum at 1.9 GHz and is committed to paying at least 
$850 million under the Consensus Plan it has backed for almost two 
years, but most believe it will have to pay significantly more.

But the FCC reportedly is leaning toward adopting the key components 
of a recent proposal from the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet 
Association that calls for Nextel to receive less-desirable spectrum at 
2.1 GH - airwaves Nextel targeted in its original rebanding white paper 
released in the fall of 2001 but no longer wants. In fact, Nextel CEO
Tim 
Donahue wrote a letter to Powell this week that described the CTIA plan 
as “untenable” for the wireless carrier’s shareholders.

For the FCC and public safety, the CTIA plan is particularly attractive 
because the Nextel’s commercial wireless competitors have said they 
will not challenge a 2.1 GHz award in court. However, those competitors 
have indicated they will litigate an order that includes premium 1.9 GHz 
spectrum, which would jeopardize rebanding for public safety. 

Source: http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_reports_powell_hopes/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/