Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Houston emergency dispatch system shut down again -

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:10:05 -0400

Houston emergency dispatch system shut down again -

ABC13 Eyewitness News

(5/11/04 - HOUSTON) — There were more problems for Houston's 911 center.

The emergency system shut down around 2:45pm Monday afternoon and at
last check only part of it is up and running Tuesday morning. Police and
fire dispatchers were forced, once again, to revert to using paper and
pencil to keep track of things.
Crews can't say yet what caused the most recent outage but many people
can say they're getting sick of it.
"While I understand we have really competent people, they use a paper
backup. We paid a lot of money for this and these are people's lives at
stake," said City Controller Annise Parker.

"I think the city got into something that we don't know how to get out
of," said councilmember Michael Berry.
We're told the police portion is back up and running, but the fire is
not. The new emergency system started running in September. Since then,
there have now been a dozen glitches.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/051104_local_dispatch.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/