Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Report recommends blacking out cell phone use at LA landmarks to foil terrorists

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 02:15:46 -0400

Posted on Sun, May. 09, 2004

Report recommends blacking out cell phone use at LA landmarks to foil
terrorists

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Calls made to cell phones at
Los Angeles International Airport, the Rose
Bowl, Universal Studios and other high-profile
landmarks could be jammed during terrorism
alerts, under a proposal being formulated by
Southern California authorities.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, who is part of a team drawing up
the plan, said such jamming helped prevent an attempted assassination of
Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf last December.

"We have to look at this very realistically," Baca said. "Public safety
is more important than public convenience. We want to take the
responsibility head-on and do the best we can, protecting people against
terrorist attacks."

The Los Angeles Police Department's counterterrorism bureau chief, John
Miller, met with Baca recently to discuss the proposal.

"It certainly sounds like a technology that we would be interested in,"
said Lt. Horace Frank, a Police Department spokesman. "But I'm sure
there are hurdles we'll have to cross."

Cell-phone jamming equipment is currently banned in the United States,
and a Federal Communications Commission spokeswoman said it would be up
to the agency's Washington office to decide whether to grant an
exception to local law enforcement.

The Secret Service uses cell-phone jamming equipment when the president
travels on Air Force One or in his limousine and some federal law
enforcement agencies use it during hostage situations.

Some communications experts advised that caution must be used, noting
that blacking out cell phone use in a certain area could keep emergency
personnel from communicating with one another.

"Many police, fire department, hazmat units and a whole host of people
rely on cell-phone communications, and to the extent you use jamming
devices designed to jam terrorists, you may be jamming the first
responders, whose communication is critical in an emergency situation,"
said John Mack, chief executive officer of USBX Advisory Services, a
Santa Monica-based investment banking firm with a specialty focus on the
security industry.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/counties/alameda_county/8627390.htm?1c

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 18:25:49 -0400

kondrak wrote:

> Which are horribly behind in deployment,

Yep, Yep, because companies like Nexel used questionable tactics to get a
wavier for more time from the FCC.
Nextel said If the the FCC grants  us this wavier we will give $25M to the
PSAP's (APCO controls the money)

> and doesn't have the "meter"
> accuracy for a crowded stadium. Its like 90% within 300 meters, and 70%
> within 100 meters.

I think you meant  for Network-based solutions it  must be able to locate the
caller within 100 meters 67 percent of the time and within 300 meters 95
percent of the time.

Actually I find most phone do better than that.......15 meters is what I found
(using a trimble benchmark)

>
> I almost took a job with one of the outfits installing these things, but
> the company was nuttier than a fruit cake.....

I was on the 1st iDEN based A-GPS project. My phone was " nuttier than a fruit
cake....."
One time it told the server I was in Peru! I was on 57st & 5th ave in
Manhattan.
They sent me  new software the next day.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links