Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Radio Laws

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:27:41 -0400

Hey guys,

While it may not directly apply to your case, DoD is pounding the table on
ALL wireless devices.
The new directive can easily be misinterpreted.

I guess a Military Base qualifies as a location where "classified
information is electronically stored, processed, or transmitted"

They are little "Nervous" because of this........
----------------------------------------------------------------
DOD Wireless Directive Compliant Security Enforcement

DIRECTIVE

4.1.2. Encryption of unclassified data for transmission to and from wireless

devices is required…

4.1.4. Measures shall be taken to mitigate denial of service attacks. These
measures shall address not only threats from the outside, but potential
interference from friendly sources.

4.3. Wireless technologies/devices used for storing, processing, and/or
transmitting information shall not be operated in areas where classified
information is electronically stored, processed, or transmitted unless
approved by the DAA in consultation with the CSA CTTA.

4.4. Pursuant to paragraph 4.1.2, DAAs shall ensure that Wireless
Personal Area Network (WPAN) capability is removed or physically disabled
from a device unless FIPS PUB 140-2-validated cryptographic modules are
implemented (reference (g)).

4.7. PEDs that are connected directly to a DoD-wired network (e.g., via a
hot synch connection to a workstation) shall not be permitted to operate
wirelessly while directly connected.

4.8. Anti-virus software shall be used on wireless-capable PEDs and
workstations… The network infrastructure shall update anti-virus software
for all applicable PEDs and their supporting desktops from a site maintained
by the Defense Information Systems Agency.

5.6.2. Ensure that all new commercial wireless procurements comply with
this Directive immediately…

5.6.5.1. Control wireless access to IS under their cognizance to ensure that
the wireless systems (including external interfaces to commercial wireless
services) do not introduce wireless vulnerabilities that undermine the
assurance of the other interconnected systems.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WFHSG/message/6122

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defense issues long-awaited wireless policy
Source: Newsbytes
Publication date: 2004-04-19

The Defense Department has released its long-awaited wireless policy, making
it mandatory for all DOD personnel, contractors and even visitors entering
Defense facilities to encrypt unclassified information transmitted
wirelessly.

The policy, DOD 8100.2, comes nearly two years after DOD issued a Pentagon
wireless policy. The new policy, which supersedes the earlier Pentagon
policy, takes effect immediately. DOD officials had suggested the policy was
imminent for nearly three months.

“For data, strong authentication, nonrepudiation and personal identification
are required for access to DOD information systems in accordance with
published DOD policy and procedures,” said Paul Wolfowitz, deputy secretary
of Defense. “Identification and authentication measures shall be implemented
at both the device and network level.”

The directive views wireless devices, services and technologies that are
integrated or connected to Defense networks as part of those networks.  Data
encryption, at a minimum, must be implemented end-to-end over an assured
channel and must be validated against Federal Information Processing
Standards requirements under the Cryptographic Module Validation Program.
The policy, released late Friday, will allow exceptions on a case-by-case
basis.

The new law prohibits the use of wireless devices for storing, processing or
transmitting classified information without “explicit written approval of
the cognizant designated approving authority. If approved by the DAA, only
assured channels employing National Security Agency-approved encryption
shall be used to transmit classified information,” Wolfowitz noted in the
directive.  Furthermore, cellular, PC, radio frequency and infrared wireless
devices are not allowed—without written approval—in areas where classified
information is discussed, electronically stored, processed or transmitted.

Wolfowitz directed Defense agencies to screen for wireless devices within
their organizations by using active electromagnetic sensing to detect and
prevent unauthorized access of Defense systems.
Other parts of the directive require that:

Portable electronic devices that can connect directly to a DOD wired network
not be operated wirelessly while connected.  Antivirus software be used on
wireless systems that transmit data.

Defense establish a wireless knowledge management process to promote
wireless expertise.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WFHSG/message/6155

Larry Van Horn wrote:

> There are usually base regulations regarding transmitting on the base.
> They can and do vary from allowing transmissions to happen to "no way
> Jose."
> There are no DoD or federal laws, just local regs established by each
> base commander and defined within their base telecomm instructions.
>
> 73 all and good hunting,.
>
> Larry Van Horn -- N5FPW
> Monitoring Times Assistant Editor/Milcom Columnist
> Grove Enterprises Technical Support Department
> Telephone: V-828-837-9200/F-828-837-2216/800-438-8155
> WUN Club Military/Goverment Monitoring Columnist
>
> Monitoring Times Magazine: We don't collect frequencies, we monitor
> them!
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John B.
> Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 11:19 PM
> To: Scan-DC
> Subject: [Scan-DC] Radio Laws
>
> Hello List,
> This might be a bit for the Military People.
> I was question tonight about having my HT1000 on a Military Base 2night.
> They keyed up every channel on it. Luckly it was all GMRS repeaters.
> They ran the SN and said they though it was on of theres. And they
> thought i was listeing to what they were saying. Well My radio is UHF
> and conventional. Not UHF Trunk type II. It was kinda funny but scarry.
> Are they any laws about somethng like this.
> Thanx
> JOHN
>

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: Blake Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:50:23 -0500

> The new directive can easily be misinterpreted.

It really is an old thing... DOD has had directives at every base wanting
any transmitters to be ok'd by the base comm shop before use on base.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:21:44 -0400

You are confusing this with and existing directive. This is 8100.2 "Use of
Commercial Wireless Devices, Services, and Technologies in the DoD Global
Information Grid."

DODD 8100.2, 5 Dec 2003, Use of Commercial
Wireless Devices, Services, and Technologies
in the DoD Global Information Grid (GIG)

(you must have proper security clearance to view this document)

 https://infosec.navy.mil/Documents/doc?type=dodd&tab=dod

It was drafted last year and was not signed until some time latter.

From:

DEFENSE LOGISTICS AGENCY
HEADQUARTERS
8725 JOHN J. KINGMAN ROAD, SUITE 2533
FORT BELVOIR, VIRGINIA 22060-6221

1. Commercial Wireless Devices, Services, and Technologies in the DOD Global
Information Grid, DODD 8100.bb.  This new draft DOD policy restricts the use of
wireless communication devices without appropriate encryption and
authentication. Policy is effective immediately upon signature.  Without a
grandfather clause on implementation, the policy will have an immediate negative
impact on all logistics business processes that use wireless devices.  The
Principals requested a White Paper on the specific issues and agreed to work
with the appropriate DOD offices to reduce the impact on the logistics
community.