Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Oh No Grand-Ma! Say it ain't so.....Seniors caught for cable theft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:39:04 -0400

http://www.spectatornews.com/news/679050.html?&mkey=437915
Issue: 5/6/04
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seniors caught for cable theft
By Gina Duwe

While stealing cable service is something some college students confess
to, many think they are invincible from punishment. However, senior
roommates Jon Middleton and Paul Jonely found out some point, you will
be caught.

After stealing cable services from Charter Communications for more than
a year and a half, an Eau Claire Police officer presented the roommates
with a search warrant.

The officer was searching for four cable boxes that a past roommate, who
was subcontracting for Charter, had left behind, Middleton said.
Middleton and Jonely hooked up the cable boxes and were able to receive
free cable.

                    Through advanced technologies, however, Charter was
                    able to detect their cable signals, which has led to
                    a horrible ending to their senior year, Middleton
                    said.

                    "With technology, they can track anything,
                    anywhere," he said. "Just be careful, because it's
                    not worth all the money and hassle."

The roommates now face the possibility of being charged with felony
charges of theft of property and theft of services. They also are paying
$2,800 owed to Charter just for the pay-per-view service they used,
Middleton said.

"We had gotten away with it for however long, so we thought we'd never
get caught - they can't find us," he said. "We were wrong."

The two seniors are part of a multimillion-dollar nationwide problem,
said Mike Hill, government affairs and public relations manager for
Charter Communications, 1201 McCann Drive, Altoona.

Hill said the industry has focused on the problem for a number of years,
and eliminating it would help everyone.

"Our cash flows would be better ... and rates wouldn't have to go up,"
he said.

Stealing cable isn't a huge problem, Hill said, but it is very serious.
He estimates Charter has about 20 cases each year in the western
Wisconsin region, which also includes La Crosse.

About 4 percent of homes have unauthorized cable services out of the
total number of homes receiving cable, Hill said.

The Eau Claire Police Department only deals with cases with specific
evidence, such as stolen property, or more aggressive, repeat offenders,
said Jack Corey, community relations officer.

"A lot of the cable companies take care of it themselves," he said. "If
they catch you, they tell you and say either 'Sign up or disconnect.' "

The costs add up quickly if you're caught, which is something Middleton
is realizing.

"It's an unbelievable amount," he said.

A fine for obtaining utility service by fraud is $193.40, Corey said,
while theft of personal property is a Class A misdemeanor. With that
charge, could possibly wind up with a year in county jail and a $10,000
fine, Corey said.

Middleton and Jonely have not been charged with anything yet, but
Middleton said the money owed to Charter and lawyer fees already are
piling up. While Middleton said he lucked out with a public defender
costing him only about $150, his roommate hired an attorney for about
$3,000.

Middleton said he's been going to court a lot and has met with his
attorney about six times each month this year. The senior marketing
major, who plans to graduate later this month, said the whole situation
is not how he planned to spend his last semester of college. He said he
has learned his lesson and recommends other students learn from his
example.

"Nothing in life is free, no matter what you think," he said. "You might
think you're getting away with something, but at some point you're gonna
get caught. No matter when you think you're getting away with it, they
know."

---

From: Paul J Zawada <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:42:09 -0500

Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Oh No Grand-Ma! Say it ain't so.....Seniors 
caught for cable theft

Ummm..  Marcel....  They're not talking about seniors as in "senior 
citizens," they're talking about seniors as in students in their fourth 
(fifth?, sixth?) year of college...  Apparently the _Spectator_ is the 
student newspaper at UW-Eau Claire.  I must admit though, the mental 
image of the cops busting in on a couple of grumpy old men hacking 
cable was kind of humorous....

--zawada

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:32:42 -0400

I know........ I was demonstrating my "Comedic Talents" :) :)..........
Oh, well I guess I won't be working at Caroline's.........

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links