Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Symbol Toughens Up Tri-Mode Wireless Handhelds

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 01:01:12 -0400

Symbol Toughens Up Tri-Mode Wireless Handhelds
Source: Network World
Publication date: 2004-05-03
Arrival time: 2004-05-09

Symbol Technologies has introduced two rugged handhelds that can work
with three different wireless networks.
The latest models in the MC9000 series can be ordered with 802.11b
wireless LAN interfaces or short-range Bluetooth interfaces, or both.
Both radios use the 2.4-GHz band, but Symbol designed the products so
the radios don't interfere with each other.

An internal antenna means one less protrusion that can be broken off or
damaged.

Also available, via third-party products, are cellular interfaces to use
Code Division Multiple Access and GSM/General Packet Radio Service data
services. Each model can have all three wireless interfaces installed.

The new models, the MC9000-K and the MC9000-S, were designed for field
service, manufacturing, direct-store delivery routes and wholesale
distribution applications.

The computers have an Intel Xscale 400MHz CPU, which runs Windows Mobile
2003 or CE.Net operating systems. Users can select the Symbol 1D scan
engine or the SE 4400 Imaging Engine for omni-directional reading of 1D
or 2D barcodes. The latter also can capture images. The computers
typically can run for eight hours.

Pricing varies depending on the options. One variant, with 802.11b, 64M
bytes of RAM, color display and Windows Mobile 2003, would be about
$2,900. Bluetooth would add $150 and a GPRS interface about $600 more.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=50878114&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/