Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Broadband Goes Live In U.K.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 00:53:13 -0400

Wireless Broadband Goes Live In U.K.
Fri May 7, 3:00 PM ET

Mobile Pipeline News

A wireless broadband service based on UMTS TDD technology went live in
the suburbs of London Friday.
The service, provided UK Wireless, a subsidiary of Asian communicators
company PCCW, is available to about 300,000 homes in an area west of
London. Users have a choice of either 512 Kbps or 1 Mps throughput and
service plans starting at about 18 pounds per month or about US$32.

The service is based on UMTS TDD technology from IPWireless. U.S.
wireless carrier Nextel is reportedly testing the same technology in
addition to conducting field trials of competing technology from Flarion
Technologies based on pre-standard 802.20 infrastructure equipment.

WiMAX, or pre-standard 802.16 technology, is another wireless broadband
technology that has received a lot of attention, but no certified WiMAX
equipment is expected to be available for another year. By contrast, in
addition to the UK Wireless installation near London, wireless broadband
using IPWireless' UMTS TDD equipment is already in commercial operation
in Maui, Hawaii, New Zealand, South Africa, Malaysia, Portugal, and
Germany.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&u=/cmp/20040508/tc_cmp/20000203&printer=1

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/