Subject: [NEXTEL-1] G8 Summit Relies on Southern LINC for Communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:16:38 -0400

G8 Summit Relies on Southern LINC for Communications
Tuesday May 18, 9:58 am ET

Southern LINC to Provide 450 Handsets and Service to G8

Summit Planning Committee

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 18, 2004--Southern LINC®, the wireless
communications service from Southern Company (NYSE: SO - News),
announced today the G8 Summit Planning Committee will rely on the
company to provide a reliable communications solution. Southern LINC's
wireless communications solutions will keep hundreds of personnel
connected during the three-day summit, June 8-10, 2004, in Sea Island,
Ga.
The G8 Summit Planning Committee
has contracted for 450 handsets
and service to be used for the
international summit. In order to
ensure reliable coverage in the
coastal area, Southern LINC has
increased coverage and system
capacity in the region proving its
commitment to the G8 Summit
Planning Committee. The handsets
will be used by the Planning
Committee Ambassador, all
Directors, Deputy Directors, and
several hundred volunteers.

"Southern LINC has become a vital
component of our overall Command
and Control Communications for the
G8 Summit," said Jim Ramsey, CIO of the G8 Summit Planning Committee.
"From day one all of the personnel within Southern LINC have been
professional, technically proficient and extremely helpful in supporting
my mission as the G8 CIO. All of the handsets will be deployed
throughout the G8 area of operations to coordinate all of the
operations, logistics, transportations, and many other critical aspects
for the G8 Summit Planning Committee."

Southern LINC offers the G8 Summit Planning Committee multiple ways to
communicate. Committee members will be using Instant LINC(SM) two-way
radio to communicate to an individual or an entire group. In addition to
Instant LINC, the Committee will also use cellular phone, text messaging
and data services. All communications on the Southern LINC system are
inherently private, which means no known scanner can intercept
transmissions.

"We are extremely honored that the G8 Summit Planning Committee is
relying on Southern LINC to ensure that hundreds of organizers are able
to communicate around the clock," said Bob Dawson, president and CEO of
Southern LINC. "We offer reliable communications solutions to a variety
of businesses, educational institutions, healthcare facilities,
government and public safety personnel, and we have the experience and
expertise to support the G8 Summit."

About Southern LINC:

Southern LINC, which stands for Long-range Integrated Network
Communications, covers 127,000 square miles in the Southeast, including
major metro and rural areas in Alabama, Georgia, southeastern
Mississippi and northwest Florida. Using Motorola's iDEN® technology,
Southern LINC combines multiple communication services into one handset
or installed device including Instant LINC(SM) two-way radio, phone
service, 1-way and 2-way text messaging, wireless Internet access and
wireless data access.

More information about Southern LINC can be obtained by calling
1-800-818-LINC
(5462) or visiting the Southern LINC Web site at www.southernlinc.com

About Southern Company:

With 4 million customers and nearly 39,000 megawatts of generating
capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE: SO - News) is the
premier super-regional energy company in the Southeast and a leading
U.S. producer of electricity. Southern Company owns electric utilities
in four states, a growing competitive generation company, an energy
services business and a competitive retail natural gas business, as well
as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are
known for excellent customer service, high rel iability and retail
electric prices that are 15 percent below the national average. Southern
Company has been named three consecutive years No. 1 on Fortune
magazine's "America's Most Admired Companies" list in the Electric and
Gas Utility industry. Southern Company has been ranked the nation's top
energy utility in the American Customer Satisfaction Index four years in
a row, and in the latest survey tied for the highest score among all
service industry companies. Southern Company has more than 500,000
shareholders, making its common stock one of the most widely held in the
United States. Visit the Southern Company Web site at
www.southerncompany.com.

About the G8 Summit

The G8 Summit brings together the leaders of the world's major
industrial democracies:
Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom, and
the United States. The European Union also attends the G8 Summit,
represented by the President of the European Commission and the leader
of the country holding the Presidency of the European Council. At
previous Summits, leaders have discussed a wide range of international
economic, political, and security issues.

Southern LINC and Instant LINC are salesmarks or registered trademarks
of Southern LINC. Motorola and iDEN are
trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola, Inc.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040518/185623_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/