Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Claims that a phone ignites petrol pump

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 02:34:37 -0400

Claims that a phone ignites petrol pump

A student is recovering after he was burnt at a Mobil petrol station
last week. What makes the fire notable is the claims from Chief Patrick
Koch of New Paltz Fire Dept that the fire was started by a cell phone.
If correct, this will be the first ever confirmed occurrence of a fire
at a petrol station being ignited by a phone. There have been many
rumours of explosions in the past, but they have never been confirmed.

Chief Patrick Koch, New Paltz Fire Dept. said "I'm positive today, that
as of last night, 9:30 last night, I'm positive that a cell phone can
ignite."

The 21 year old student was filling up his car when his phone rang.
When he answered the phone however, a large flash occurred at the nozzle
of the pump and started the fire. Fortunately, station staff noticed
what happened and cut the petrol supply immediately.

The fact that the flash occurred at the nozzle of the pump does suggest
that the spark could have been created by a badly earthed pipe to the
petrol tank. This has happened in the past, although car manufacturers
naturally spend a lot of effort to ensure a spark cannot occur in the
area.

Posted to the site on 17th May 2004

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/11151.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Blake Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:59:21 -0500

> as of last night, 9:30 last night, I'm positive that a cell phone can

I would love to know Chief Kochs qualifications to make this statement....

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Bill Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:02:50 -0400

http://www.pei.org/static/fire_reports.htm
Here is a list of static discharge caused fires as logged by the Petroleum
Equipment Institute. I'll bet one or more of these fits what actually
happened.

-----Original Message-----
From: Blake Bowers [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 8:59
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Claims that a phone ignites petrol pump

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links