Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Broadcasters join Nextel in supporting "SCAM PLAN"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 13:40:11 -0400

Broadcasters join Nextel in supporting "SCAM PLAN"

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
May 04, 2004

WASHINGTON

Nextel Communications Inc. has agreed to pay the relocation 
costs of the broadcast auxiliary services in the 1.9 GHz band 
and in return has obtained the support of the National Association 
of Broadcasters and the Association for Maximum Service Television 
for the Consensus Plan to solve the public-safety interference 
problem in the 800 MHz band. 

“In return for receiving replacement spectrum at 1.9 GHz, Nextel 
has agreed to provide relocation compensation for stations and 
deploy future Nextel service in a way that avoids limiting electronic 
news-gathering operations. The American public benefits from local 
stations in all television markets being able to provide a maximum 
level of remote electronic news gathering,” said NAB, MSTV and Nextel. 

Nextel’s offer to pay for BAS is contingent upon receiving spectrum 
in the 1.9 GHz band and receiving credit for paying for the BAS 
relocation in any final plan the Federal Communications Commission 
proposes to solve public-safety interference. 

The agreement is the latest in the maneuvering between backers of 
the Consensus Plan, including Nextel and several public-safety groups, 
and the rival Balanced Approach Plan, supported by the Cellular 
Telecommunications & Internet Association and most other wireless 
carriers. Last week, CTIA offered a proposal that included giving Nextel 
2.1 GHz spectrum instead of 1.9 GHz spectrum, a plan that Nextel
rejected.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17949

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/