Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC opens RF interference testing chamber

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:25:39 -0400

FCC opens RF interference testing chamber

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
May 18, 2004

Columbia, Md

FCC Chairman Michael Powell Tuesday morning officially opened the
Federal Communications Commission’s new $750,000
anechoic - no echo - chamber, which will give the FCC the ability to
independently test claims and counterclaims of harmful interference,
within the commission’s laboratory. 

“When you don’t have the ability to independently test, you let a
government agency really be at the mercy of companies who would be happy
to provide technical data, but just like statistics, or law or economics
are always going to be presented in the light most favorable to what
they want,” said Powell. 

Since becoming chairman in 2001, Powell has been a consistent supporter
of the FCC’s lab located about an hour’s drive from its headquarters.
The FCC lab averaged an annual budget of $50,000 for the 20 years
preceding Powell's chairmanship. For the past three years, the lab's
annual budget has averaged $750,000. 

Powell is technically savvy, telling those gathered that he had set up a
broadband-over-powerline system in his parents’ house. He is the son of
Secretary of State Colin Powell. The younger Powell has a Wi-Fi network
in his home. 

In addition to the ribbon cutting and demonstration of the new anechoic
chamber, reporters and others were given a tour of the FCC lab,
including demonstrations of testing controversial technologies, such as
broadband over powerline and ultra-wideband.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18150

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/