Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Question For Members

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:58:42 -0400

>
> From: Lenny Schmidt [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 12:24 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Question For Members
>
> What do you all think about two way radios that are made for law
> enforcement and other public safety related use being sold on Ebay?
>
>

What radios do you know that are made only For Law Enforcement and other
public safety uses?

Most of those radios are made for the LMR market and serve multiple
purposes.

While you are at it......

Don't forget the Hammy stuff just pull out a jumper and BAM you are on
you local PD's freq.

Public Safety could easily avoid this issue by using "RF
Fingerprinting". That is how the PCS / People fought fraud on 1st
generation CDMA networks. That is one reason why subscriber unit fraud
is so low in the industry.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:45:04 -0400

RF fingerprinting is used by CDMA  carriers who require additional
layers of fraud protection in addition to the inherent protection
afforded by CDMA. RF finger printing is also used for international CDMA
roaming (CDMA Development Group has a few presentations on this
www.cdg.org) AMPS was the 1st air interface to employ RF finger printing
but it was crude and expensive. Today's application are much more
sophisticated and less expensive since they are  bundled with other
fraud based applications for the carrier.

Also-
------------------------------------------------------------
Commercial-Defense Synergy in Wireless Communications
<SNIP>
The best known of these technologies is probably CDMA, which has been
widely adopted for cellular and personal communications systems
worldwide. Encryption, along with data mining and RF fingerprinting, is
increasingly being used to protect against fraudulent use in cellular
systems, video entertainment subscription  receivers, and business data.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get back to the original topic-

While Lenny's concerns are legit. It may be a little late to try to
prevent system disruption from the user (Radio)
end since there are millions of radios that can interrupt public safety
systems on the streets today.
Sure they can introduce laws to help prevent radios from being sold
publicly, but as I said previously there are other sources.

RF finger printing  is a perfect "technology transfer" candidate that
could help solve the problem since it is a infrastructure based solution
and not a user one.

Since all of the legit radios are in the control of the system
administrator excluding non legitimate radios would be easy.

My point is RF fingerprinting can alleviate some of the security
concerns of Public Safety system administrators.
RF fingerprinting can now not only prevent fraud it can now locate (
http://www.fcc.gov/realaudio/e911mot.pdf  ) the hackers on a multisite
(3 +) radio system by using "TDOA" or on  Single Site systems or by
using "Multipath FingerPrinting" (unknown if both need to be
sectrorized). Prevention is one issue but getting these guys is another,
using RF fingerprinting in a location application can help make this
happen.

I have NOT seen a application like this in a "Public Safety" environment
(there may be one) and I know there will be many technical challenges
but if the right people get behind the idea they can be overcome.

Marcel

Shawnerz wrote:

> No, Marcel.
> RF Fingerprinting was (is?) used on AMPS (analog)
> networks.  (Non authenticating) AMPS phones only use
> the ESN and MIN combination to set up the call.  CDMA
> uses (low grade) encryption for call set up.
> -Shawn
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/