Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DoD mum on Iraqi first-responder wireless allegations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 04:14:50 -0400

DoD mum on Iraqi first-responder wireless allegations
By Jeffrey Silva
May 04 13:58:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—The Department of Defense today refused to say whether its
inspector general is investigating a high-level official who allegedly
attempted to convert a project to build a nationwide first-responder
network in Iraq into a non-compete contract to provide commercial CDMA
mobile-phone service throughout the country.

John Shaw, deputy undersecretary for international technology security
at the Pentagon, reportedly pressured officials of the U.S.-led
Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq to steer the first responder
contract to a CDMA consortium headed by NANA Pacific—an Alaska native
firm—in a way that would not require competing bids.

The Los Angeles Times, quoting Shaw and others, reported April 29 that
Shaw—contacted by key lawmakers on the Iraq wireless buildout—met with
officials from Qualcomm Inc. and Lucent Technologies Inc., top U.S. CDMA
vendors, to pitch the plan.

“The IG is unable to discuss this matter at this time,” said Rose-Ann
Lynch, a defense spokeswoman.

Shaw declined a request to be interviewed.

A CDMA group unsuccessfully applied for three regional Iraqi
mobile-phone licenses awarded last year, losing out to GSM partnerships.
European GSM technology is prevalent in the Middle East. After
complaints about the Iraqi license selection process, the Pentagon IG
conducted a preliminary probe and later referred the matter outside the
department.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17973
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/