Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "High-Tech Monitoring Planned for Sex Offenders"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:04:34 -0400

"High-Tech Monitoring Planned for Sex Offenders"
SiliconValley.com (05/12/04); Gladstone, Mark

Utilizing global positioning system (GPS) technology, the
California-based Schwarzenegger administration plans to begin
monitoring up to 500 paroled sex offenders on a 24-hour,
minute-by-minute basis in order to increase public safety and
reduce the number of parole violations. Currently, two California sex
offenders who are out on parole are under GPS
surveillance. Other states are considering implementation of the
technology due to its cost-savings and lack of budget for
complex surveillance and prevention measures. Schwarzenegger's fiscal
year budget for the state will involve the Department
of Corrections dealing with $400 million in cuts. The state will begin
accepting bids for the GPS system with expected costs
of between $4 and $10 per day per parolee depending on how often their
data is updated; the GPS surveillance pilot
program will begin in San Diego County and is likely to be operational
in as little as four months.

www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/local/8646748.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/