Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC's Powell Wants Nextel Decision By End of May

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:58:44 -0400

FCC's Powell Wants Nextel Decision By End of May
By Mark Wigfield

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--Federal Communciations Commission Chairman
Michael Powell said Thursday he hopes the agency can make a decision
regarding
wireless provider Nextel Communications Inc.'s (NXTL) controversial
spectrum swap by the end of May.

The decision by the agency's five commissioners "will be sooner rather
than later," Powell told reporters swarming around him following the
FCC's monthly meeting. But when asked if the agency will make a decision
by the end of the month, he said, "I'm going to shoot for that." "We are
working to really start to bring this to a close," he said.  "We are
still pretty confident we're making progress." The FCC is reviewing
Nextel's plan to resolve complaints that its wireless service interferes
with public safety radios in the 800 megahertz band. The company has
offered to pay $850 million to move public safety operations to one part
of the band and give up some of its spectrum, in return for additional
spectrum in the 1.9 gigahertz band.  But the rest of the wireless
industry has been fiercely resisted the proposal as a windfall for
Nextel. The industry is pushing for Nextel to receive spectrum in the
less-valuable 2.1 GHz band, a plan Nextel says is unacceptable.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/