Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ARRL: FCC extends reply comment deadline in BPL proceeding

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:49:08 -0400

--------- Forwarded Message ----------
From: "ARRL Web site"
To: Subscribed ARRL Members: ;
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:22:10 -0400
Subject: ARLB019 FCC extends reply comment deadline in BPL proceeding
	...
  
ARRL Bulletin 19  ARLB019
From ARRL Headquarters  
Newington CT  May 28, 2004

	...

ARLB019 FCC extends reply comment deadline in BPL proceeding

The FCC has extended the deadline to file reply comments (comments
on filed comments) in its broadband over power line (BPL) Notice of
Proposed Rule Making (NPRM), ET Docket 04-37, to Tuesday, June 22.
The FCC acted this week on a request from the National Antenna
Consortium and the Amherst Alliance (NAC/Amherst) for a much longer
filing deadline extension. The organizations said the June 1 reply
comment deadline FCC would not allow stakeholders adequate time to
prepare comments that address the full two-part National
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) Phase 2 BPL
study. The FCC said the NTIA has indicated that it soon will submit
comments and a technical appendix that will include key findings of
the Phase 2 report, which is due for release later this year.

NAC/Amherst had sought to have the FCC postpone the filing comment
deadline until either September 1 or two months after the public
release of the NTIA's Phase 2 study--whichever was later. The FCC
said, however, that the additional three weeks should be ''ample
time'' to respond to the anticipated NTIA submission, provided it's
filed reasonably close to the anticipated May 28 date.

Noting that its Part 15 rules already permit Access BPL systems and
that its February BPL NPRM places additional requirements on BPL
systems over and above current Part 15 requirements, the FCC
asserted that any further delay would diminish the Commission's
ability to protect licensed users now occupying the HF spectrum. A
further extension, the FCC added, also would ''needlessly increase
regulatory uncertainty'' about BPL.

The FCC turned down a request that the FCC reissue in substantially
greater detail the provisions of its proposed BPL rules concerning
interference prevention and mitigation and the enforcement of
standards.

The FCC does not routinely grant such time extensions, and it denied
earlier petitions, including filings from the ARRL and NAC/Amherst,
to extend the initial May 3 comment filing deadline.
NNNN
/EX

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/