Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Mission Critical Local Broadband Solution on Target for 2005

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:59:57 -0400

Motorola Mission Critical Local Broadband Solution on Target for 2005
Introduction

Schaumburg, Ill., - 10 May 2004 - Motorola's (NYSE:MOT) advanced,
high-speed mobile data network designed for public safety customers
operating in the 4.9 GHz spectrum is planned for release in the first
half of 2005. The company announced the upcoming introduction of its
Mission-critical Local Broadband offering at the annual Mobile Data
Users Group (MDUG) conference this week in New Orleans, La.

"Our Mission Critical Local Broadband (MCLB) offering will be designed
to provide the interoperability, mobility, and high data speed rates
required to meet the needs of public safety personnel today, and into
the future," stated Motorola's Jim Connor, director of infrastructure
operations. "We believe our MCLB offering will have the ability to
support the evolving needs of public safety such as a regional approach
to Homeland Security preparedness and response activities to any hazard
that may threaten the public safety. It's a new world and we are
providing new, better solutions."

Motorola's MCLB network will deliver raw data rates of up to 54 Mbps
over the public safety licensed 4.9 GHz spectrum. This offering is
designed to provide public safety and public works agencies with
anytime, anywhere access to mobile voice, video, data and position
location services wherever the MCLB system is deployed.

Motorola's local broadband solution will have the ability to deliver
high data rates across both the upstream and downstream connections.
"This makes it quick and efficient for users to send video, graphics,
and large reports back to the office or command center," said Connor.
"High-speed connections enable users to instantly communicate with each
other, the Internet, and other networks as well as providing quick
access to intranet and databases. "

The recently allocated 4.9 GHz spectrum provides all of the
functionality of Wi-Fi, but is designated specifically for use by public
safety and other agencies related to the protection of life and critical
functions. This specific allocation facilitates clear, organized
operation for meeting mission critical needs. Benefits of an exclusive
operational frequency include:

*Greater channel availability
*Reduced interference due to having less users in the band
*Increased security due to limited availability of similar technologies.

The MCLB network is designed to provide support solutions for high-speed
mobility, incident command and control, high risk building monitoring
and ad-hoc networking, according to Connor. Ad-hoc is a technology that
has the ability to allow a network to form without infrastructure. Every
user acts as router/repeater for every other user in the network. It is
a self-forming, self-healing wireless technology that can maximize
network robustness and redundancy, even in the face of natural
disasters, physical attacks and power outages. The technology, which
will be integrated into MCLB after the product's initial introduction,
is designed to create a distributed web of connections across all
devices in the network. The result is a robust interconnected network
that automatically routes itself to find the optimal path of
connectivity.

The combination of these unique capabilities and applications, planned
for the future, is a robust and high-speed wireless system that can meet
the needs of mission critical mobile communications users.

Motorola's Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector

Media Contact:
Steve Gorecki
Motorola
847-538-0368

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/