Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Phone-based subscription system delivers navigation without sat nav

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 18:16:49 -0400

Phone-based subscription system delivers navigation without sat nav UK's
"ON-Star"
6th May 2004

A new product that claims to deliver the convenience and safety aspects
of satellite navigation using only a conventional hands-free mobile
phone is now being offered by Voicemap, a Suffolk-based company.

The new service enables drivers who become lost in an unfamiliar area to
be guided to their destination, turn by turn, without the installation
of any additional equipment in the vehicle, and with the added
reassurance of personal assistance.
A call to Voicemap’s UK-based call centre establishes the driver’s
location using the signal emitted by their mobile. This is then used by
Voicemap to guide the driver back on course.

Voicemap uses 150 staff who answer calls without using any form of
automation, described as “a welcome feature for the possibly already
frustrated motorist”.

Voicemap also sees the new service as a security device, since female or
elderly drivers no longer need to broadcast the
fact they are lost by asking a stranger directions. The service also
includes up to the minute traffic information and
re-routing should the client be delayed by congestion.

The service is provided as a membership subscription starting at £9.95
per annum; no premium rate lines are used.

http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/industry_news/news-54o8aklkhc

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/