Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Gov. Sales - Real Scary~~~~~~

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:12:31 -0400

--- "Cox, Rick" <[email-masked] wrote:
This is one of the times that I am not very happy with our marketing
people. They just don't get the word out about our capabilities.

Nextel does in fact offer priority access to first responders, etc. I
have a document that I could e-mail you that lists the various levels of
priority etc. Today this is offered on our Direct Connect (walkie
talkie) feature, as well as our packet data capabilities. We expect to
be able to offer it on the cellular call side of the house later this
year.  Although if Ma Bell is congested that probably won't buy you much
in a crisis.

Another thing you should be aware of is that our Direct Connect and
packet data offerings run without reliance on the PSTN (Public Switched
Telephone Network aka Ma Bell), we carry those services purely on our
network.

<Nextel double talk------ Mabell or No Mabell>
Our only reliance on Ma Bell is for some of our T1s that connect cell
sites to our switching offices. Thus in a crisis situation cell calls
are typically hosed, while our walkie talkie and data services typically
keep on working.

With priority access, you would get through with these services before
the civilians.

Another aspect you might want to know about is Emergency Group Connect.
If you are familiar with our network, and our Direct Connect capability,
you probably know about Group Call, where multiple phones are tied into
a single direct connect call.  With Emergency Group Connect such a call
can be initiated by a command phone, which will cause all members of
that group who are in coverage to be brought onto the call. Even if this
means ruthless preempting other callers to make room on the cellsite(s)
for the group member. Such a call will also dedicate space on the
tower(s) for the users until the call is terminated.
If you haven't given Nextel a serious look in the last year or so I'll
suggest you take another look.  We've been very busy adding features for
folks like you. That's one of the biggest reasons I've stayed with the
company for more than 3 years. I could make more money by leaving, but
no one else does what we do, and I'm more than a little proud of that.

Again, I don't make commissions, nor am I looking for accolades if any
of you become Nextel customers.  My job is to help government folks
understand what Nextel brings to the table. So I feel that I'm doing
that here. At the same time I hope I can help Americans have the very
best protection possible. I know I want that for my city, county, state,
and nation.
If you have any questions, or want any information, please let me know.
I promise not to turn into a sales puke on you. I will give you all the
info I have without any fluff. I will be the first to tell you if the
fit isn't good between your needs and our services.

Rick Cox

=================================================================================

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert H. McCool [mailto:rmccool@u...]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: feedback needed on equipment for
 EOCs, ICS, etc.

I have to agree with Ken Harrell. Pagers, commercial wireless devices,
etc.  are good adjuncts to dedicated public safety radio communication
systems, but they aren't a substitute for them. Most of the wireless
companies just don't (and probably can't, given the size of their
systems) sink the type of dollars into their systems that it would take
to guarantee continued effective operation in most disaster situations.
In addition to a lack of standby power at many sites, the cellular and
PCS infrastructures are also so closely linked to the hardwired
telephone system that any major disruptions of that system can affect
them as well. Many of their facilities also lack hardening and heavy
duty access control measures.

Also, in spite of efforts to develop one, most commercial wireless
carriers don't really have a good system in place for guaranteeing (and
effectively implementing) priority access to public safety users. Given
the high volume of communications traffic that's often produced by a
disaster, as those involved try to get help, verify the safety of loved
ones, reassure friends and family of their own safety, etc., even the
best commercial communications system can rapidly become overloaded. In
almost all cases where mission critical emergency communications are
involved, a dedicated radio system under your own control - well
designed, with good equipment, backup power, plans in place to repair or
replace damaged equipment promptly, etc. - is the best answer.
Commercial communications devices are great supplements for that type of
system, but they can't readily replace it.

If for some reason you do decide to go with a commercial communications
infrastructure, make sure that there are some serious guarantees -- and
meaningful penalties for non-performance -- written into the contract,
or you can easily find yourself at the mercy of the commercial carrier
in terms of what level of service is provided, especially under overload
and/or disaster conditions. The fact that most commercial carriers will
try to avoid any talk of a guaranteed level of service, much less
penalties for failure to provide it, is a good indicator of their
awareness of their own limitations. They aren't bad folks, they're just
in a for-profit business of delivering services to a market that is
generally driven more by pricing and bells-and-whistles concerns than by
a need to operate effectively for days or weeks in a disaster situation.

Finally, with regard to computers, the ToughBooks are just what they
claim to be -- very tough. They aren't "cutting edge" in power or
performance, and they're certainly not cheap, but the ones I've worked
with have all been exceptionally durable, even in a field environment.
(They're as close to "cop proof" and "rescue tech proof" as I've ever
seen in a piece of electronic equipment.)

***Robert McCool***

Program Manager, Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center Training
Officer, Madison County Rescue Squad, Inc.
Deputy Sheriff, Wayne County Sheriff's Office

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:54:26 -0400

>
> --- "Cox, Rick" [email-masked] wrote:
>
> packet data offerings run without reliance on the PSTN (Public
> Switched Telephone Network aka Ma Bell), we carry those services
> purely on our network.
>

Nextel double talk -No Ma Bell, Yes Ma Bell????

> are typically hosed, while our walkie talkie and data services
> typically keep on working.