Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Calls on Fans to Pick All-Star Competitor

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:48:25 -0400

Nextel Calls on Fans to Pick All-Star Competitor
Thursday May 13, 10:59 am ET

For The First Time, Fans Will Vote-In a Driver For NASCAR
NEXTEL All-Star Challenge

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 13, 2004--Nextel Communications Inc.
announced today that fans, for the first time, will be able to vote-in a
driver for the NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge at Lowe's Motor Speedway
on May 22.
NASCAR enthusiasts will be able to vote-in a driver from the NEXTEL
Open, the qualifying race for series drivers who are not eligible for
the NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge. Traditionally, only the winner of
the NEXTEL Open is allowed to advance.  Now, the driver receiving the
most votes and the NEXTEL Open winner will both join the NASCAR NEXTEL
All-Star Challenge field and race for the $1 million winner's purse.

Voting begins Friday, May 14 at noon and fans will be able to vote by
either using a Nextel phone or logging on to www.nascar.com. Fans voting
from their Nextel phones can do so by either sending a text message to
4444, which will send a reply with a link to the fan voting option.
Another method would be to follow this sequence on their Nextel phones:
Menu / Net / What's New / All-Star Vote / Vote in a Driver.

Fans attending this weekend's race at Richmond (Va.) International
Raceway and beginning Friday, May 21 at Lowe's Motor Speedway in
Charlotte, N.C., can also vote at The Nextel Experience, Nextel's
6,400-square-foot interactive fan destination. The voting process will
end at the conclusion of the first segment of the NEXTEL Open, Saturday,
May 22.
"NASCAR fans are always looking for ways to get closer to the sport and
doing that with our products and technology is one of our core NASCAR
sponsorship objectives," said Mark Schweitzer, senior vice president of
marketing for Nextel. "This is a great opportunity for fans to show
their driver loyalty and not just watch the race, but have a voice in
which driver moves on to the All-Star Challenge."

Fans will have the chance to vote on the NEXTEL Open roster as it stands
as of May 12, and the driver with the most votes by May 22 will join the
NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge field. If the NEXTEL Open winner also
receives the fan vote, then the driver with the second highest number of
votes, who finished on the lead lap of the qualifying race, will
advance.
The NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge is truly an all-star event made up
of drivers who have won a series points race in the 2003 or '04 seasons
or have won the All-Star Challenge in previous years. Currently there
are 23 cars/drivers entered in this year's event. The Nextel fan vote
winner will be announced during driver introductions prior to the NASCAR
NEXTEL All-Star Challenge.

"The NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge pits a select group of drivers in
a unique format racing for one of the largest payouts in motorsports,"
said Schweitzer. "These elements, along with the excitement of the fans,
and the suspense of finding out who will land the final coveted spot,
will make for a night of racing unlike any other."

Promotional support of this fan-interactive program will be driven
through several media partners including: nascar.com, foxsports.com, FX
network, SPEED Channel and XM Satellite Radio.

Tickets for the NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge at Lowe's Motor
Speedway are available by calling 800-455-FANS during regular business
hours.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040513/135432_1.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/