Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Survey finds IT managers unfamiliar with their wireless networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 17:01:10 -0400

Survey finds IT managers unfamiliar with their wireless networks
by MIKE DANO

May 24, 2004

Despite carrier efforts to promote their wireless enterprise offerings,
new research shows a significant number of information technology
managers who have purchased wide area wireless data products don't know
what kind of wireless network they use. 

According to its annual survey of enterprise IT managers,
iGillotResearch Inc. found that 40 percent of respondents didn't know
what kind of wireless data network they used for their wireless
enterprise products. The rest of the respondents said they used either
GPRS data services from the likes of AT&T Wireless Services Inc. or CDMA
1xRTT services from the likes of Verizon Wireless. The findings are
notable as wireless carriers have recently increased their focus on the
enterprise market with campaigns promoting their coverage, services and
data offerings. Further, carriers like Verizon Wireless are in the
process of upgrading their networks to support faster wireless data
connections, an effort partly aimed at enticing enterprise customers. 

In other findings, iGillottResearch said almost 60 percent of
respondents use both wide area and local area wireless networks.
Interestingly, of those businesses that used Wi-Fi technology, 26
percent did not know which variation of the 802.11 protocol they used.
Of those who did know, deployments were evenly spread among 11b-only,
11b and 11g, and all three (11a, 11b, 11g). 

The study covered 804 enterprise IT managers employed in firms with more
than 1,000 employees. 
Source: http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18210

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/