Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC's Powell Retracts Vote On Nextel 1.9 GHz Spectrum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 17:26:56 -0400

+DJ FCC's Powell Retracts Vote On Nextel 1.9 GHz Spectrum

  (MORE) Dow Jones Newswires

  05-20-04 1645ET- - 04 45 PM EDT 05-20-04"

By Mark Wigfield
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--Federal Communications Commission Chairman
Michael Powell has withdrawn his vote of support for a plan that would
have awarded Nextel Communications Inc. (NXTL) a swath of coveted
wireless spectrum.
While Powell hasn't settled on a final decision in the matter, his move
is further indication that the chairman is weighing whether Nextel
should accept airwaves at a less valuable frequency range, as its
competitors have argued.

It is also a sign that the FCC still isn't ready to adopt a final plan
despite Powell having cast his vote for the higher-value spectrum plan
in March. With three commissioners already having cast votes in favor of
the plan, the agency's internal rules limit the time for additional
debate on the matter between commissioners.

Powell has said he hopes to complete the decision by the end of the
month.

At issue is a plan to eliminate interference with emergency response
radio systems caused by Nextel's mobile phone service. Under the plan,
Nextel would pay the cost of relocating public safety radio services to
a different portion of the 800 Megahertz band, where both Nextel and the
police radios operate.

Nextel would also give up some of its airwaves in the 800 MHz range.

Initially, Powell had endorsed the company's suggestion that those
airwaves be replaced in the 1.9 Gigahertz band.
But the rest of the wireless industry has bitterly opposed the grant of
1.9 GHz spectrum. The 10 MHz swath is  the last remaining nationwide
chunk in a band used by most mobile phone providers.  As an alternative,
Powell is considering granting Nextel spectrum in the 2.1 GHz range.
Nextel has opposed the idea for a variety of reasons, citing cost of
adapting equipment,  inferior propagation characteristics of the band,
and the fact that some competitors are incumbent users on the band who
would have to be moved.

Observers say the fight has been closely watched by investors, in part
because Nextel is one of the few wireless companies not owned by a major
wireline telephone company and so represents a targeted investment in
wireless

www.djnewswires.com/
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:33:47 -0400

Re: FCC's Powell Retracts Vote On Nextel -??? "Timmy I can't get involved
I'm just trying to hold on!"

Could this be the beginning??????

>From: marcel_rf1 <[email-masked]>
>Date: Sat May 15, 2004 2:26pm
>Subject: Furchtgott-Roth- "SCAM PLAN" Could Equal-short-term boost in the
stock price

<SNIP>

>The FCC WILL turn the tables on Nextel and make the FIX their interference
problem.

>The BUZZZZ is already building at the Bureau.

>Plans are to play Good Cop (Powell), Bad Cop (FCC Enforcement Division) on
Timmy.

>Powell will say, "Timmy I can't get involved I'm just trying to hold on!"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:44:46 -0400

Ok, It's time to close the deal-

1) What is the status of nextel's 900 Mhz Build out / Their wavier has
expired.
Time for an Audit.

2) What is the status of the (DOJ) Department Of Justice Investigation
Into Nextel?

[email-masked] wrote:

> Re: FCC's Powell Retracts Vote On Nextel -??? "Timmy I can't get
> involved I'm just trying to hold on!"
>