Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Launches PoC Trial

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:20:06 -0400

Motorola Launches PoC Trial
BY SUSAN RUSH
MAY 17, 2004
NEWS@2 DIRECT

Motorola has hooked up with Malaysian telecom operator Maxis
Communications Berhad to conduct a push-to-talk over cellular (PoC)
trial.

The goal of the trial is to demonstrate the capabilities of push-to-talk
technology. Once the trial is complete, Maxis expects to launch a
commercial PoC service to its customers, although no time line was
given.

Motorola, as well as the other major handset manufacturers, has been
working diligently to bring a PoC standard to fruition. Motorola
recently put aside some of its differences with its rivals in order to
support PoC interoperability. The handset manufacturer said in March
that it was working with Ericsson and Siemens on some pre-PoC
standardization efforts involving tests that will ensure the companies'
handsets are compatible. At the time of the announcement, a fellow of
the Motorola technical staff, Sanjay Gupta, said, "In a mobile world,
interoperability is important: An operator can be guaranteed choice. The
consumer also will benefit by having the ability to roam with his
handset onto different networks."

Last month, Motorola posted better-than-expected first-quarter results,
which translated into a 42 percent jump in revenue. Sales for the entire
company came in at $8.56 billion. The company also touted positive
results for its wireless phone unit, with sales ringing in at $4.1
billion, up 67 percent compared with the year-ago quarter.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=133347&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/