Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Technician Test-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 05:20:38 -0400

1.0 PCS-C concepts

1.1 Describe PCS/Cellular network structures using SS7 common channel
signaling and IS-41 protocols.
1.2 Describe communications theory including antennas, transmitters and
receivers.
1.3 Identify the common terms and acronyms used in the PCS-C field such
as, but not limited to: MIN, ESN, SID, PSIC, RSID, TLDN identities. (GSM
systems use IMSI, IMEI, PLMN, TMSI as similar acronyms, VSWR, return
loss (RL) dBm, capture effect, frequency reuse, frequency planning and
co-channel interference.
1.4 Describe common analog and digital modulation methods such as FM,
PM, GMSK, BPSK, Pi/4DQPSK as well as multiple
user access methods of FDMA, TDMA, GSM and CDMA modulation.
1.5 Describe vocoder, speech encoder and decoder operations.
1.6 Describe pre-emphasis and de-emphasis theory and
compression/expansion companding theory.
1.7 Describe balanced and unbalanced modulators.
1.8 Describe the operation of the RF output section of base station
systems and subscriber phones. State what RF components are used.
Explain why duplexers, block filters, combiners, isolators and antenna
multicouplers are used.
1.9 State the frequency ranges expected in 1900 MHz PCS and 800 MHz
Cellular systems.
1.10 State the standard frequency duplex separation between transmit and
receive channels of cellular and PCS operations.
1.11 Describe dual-conversion superheterodyne receivers and image
rejection in UHF applications and why it is used in cellular/PCS
transceivers.
1.12 Recognize co-channel and adjacent channel interference and their
causes and other common forms of RF interference.
1.13 Calculate and list methods of eliminating image frequencies.
1.14 Describe MSC functions and basic systems components.
1.15 Describe Handoff operation between cells and how Intersystems
Handoffs are coordinated. Determine the type of handoff
that a system uses: (hard, soft, softer).
1.16 Describe the GPS system, Stratum clocks and explain where and why
accurate timing information is needed.
1.17 Define TDMA, CDMA and GSM digital access methods.
1.18 Describe current wireless data transmission methods.
2.0 RF transmit, propagate and receive principles
2.1 Describe RF-signal propagation principles.
2.2 Explain the relationship between signal frequency and wavelength.
2.3 Explain how frequency selective fading and multipath signals can be
improved with diversity receiver operation.
2.4 State the different characteristics of digital systems, such as TDMA
and CDMA and how signal propagation is affected
by these processes.
2.5 Describe the benefits of CDMA in call capacity and effective
combining of multipaths to enhance signal quality.
2.6 Discuss packet burst transmission, the effects on voice signal
quality, user handset battery life, transmitter on and off times and
overall data bit rates possible.
3.0 Technical Procedures
3.1 Measure signal-to-noise ratio, quieting and sensitivity.
3.2 Measure transmitter frequency error in percent and FM deviation on a
communications service monitor.
3.3 Calculate signal levels using volts, watts and decibels.
3.4 Calculate wavelength from frequency, and gain/loss in decibels.
3.5 Properly use RF wattmeter, standing wave meter, VOM and
communications service monitors.
3.6 Determine maximum frequency variation in respect to listed
tolerances.
3.7 Explain what superheterodyne involves in a receiver.
3.8 Interpret and explain equipment specifications.
3.9 Define multiplexing and demultiplexing.
3.10 Explain A/D conversion, digital modulation and VOCODER operations.
Copyright 2000, ETA-I continued on page 2
4.0 Technical capabilities
4.1 Explain Journeyman troubleshooting procedures.
4.2 Describe all special circuits used in UHF radio equipment.
4.3 Analyze ‘dropped call’ reports
4.4 Define: Analog Control Channels (ACC)
Analog Voice Channels (AVC)
Digital Voice Channels (DVC)
Digital Control Channels (DCCH)
Slow Associated Control Channel (SACCH)
Fast Associated Control Channel (FACCH)
4.5 Explain how an analog handoff and digital Mobile Assisted Handoff
(MAHO) are performed .
4.6 Explain troubleshooting procedures for 48V, 24V and 12V battery
powered communications equipment.
4.7 Describe DC power supply elements: rectifiers, charging circuits,
floating and equalize, backup supplies and UPS operation.
4.8 Calculate power dissipation in transmitter final amplifiers.
4.9 Recognize audio clipping and identify poor high or low frequency
response in waveforms.
4.10 Explain common types of FM detector circuits and how they are used.

4.11 Properly tune receiver RF, receiver IF and transmitter output
circuits using manufacturers’ procedures
4.12 Explain how band pass and notch filters work
4.13 Discuss DS1/DS3 theory, terminology and troubleshooting. Interpret
BER (bit error rates) and diagnose base station interface equipment
connnecting to the MSC
4.14 Describe digital data transmission, packet switching and data rates
associated with twisted pair DSO channels on DS1, and fiber optic OC3
and larger capacity systems.
4.15 Define wireless data transmission methods: CDPD, GPRS, 802.11,
”Bluetooth” unlicensed and other current licensed services standards
5.0 Test equipment
5.1 Properly operate test equipment necessary for use in PCS-C
applications.
5.2 Analyze malfunctions of RF circuits and interpret transmission line
and antenna sweep return loss measurements on a typical communications
service monitor.
5.3 Measure transmit power output in dBm and Watts.
5.4 Measure receiver power sensitivity, squelch threshold and handoff
points in dBm.
5.5 Analyze system performance with drive testing and monitoring
equipment.
6.0 Knowledge of Components
6.1 Explain common types of electronic signal filters.
6.2 List coax cable types and comparative loss factors for each
6.3 Identify transistors used in specific applications such as
transmitter output, receiver output and RF receive circuits.
6.4 Explain how the components affect system optimization and
performance.
7.0 Antennas
7.1 Recognize and name common antenna types
7.2 Explain how antenna polarization patterns are constructed and
explain their use
7.3 Describe the factors which affect the bandwidth and gain of an
antenna.
7.4 Explain Return Loss, VSWR and list the procedures in using a
tracking generator with a spectrum analyzer in a communications service
monitor to perform a sweep of an antenna system.
8.0 Frequency bands
8.1 List the current frequencies, channels and block assignments used
for Cellular and PCS systems.
8.2 List where interference could be generated in other service bands
such as UHF TV, pagers and others
8.3 Locate adjancent service bands such as SMR, ESMR and show their
locations with respect to the 800 and 1900 MHz spectrums
8.4 List the pertinent FCC rules and regulations governing Personal
Communications Services and
Cellular operations.
9.0 Customer Relations
9.1 List ten customer needs or relationships with the service facility
9.2 Describe the need to communicate and explain to the public what your
job is and how it relates to their phone operation.
Pg 2 PCS-C Competencies Standards - 2003
9.3 List competitive PCS or cellular systems and describe how and why
the technician should treat these with respect.
10.0 Safety and Regulations
10.1 Describe safety precautions involved in cellular and PCS base
stations.
10.2 Understand the dangers of working around high-current battery and
backup power supply systems and charging systems.
10.3 Understand the potential health effects of long exposure to UHF and
microwave radiation.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:39:56 -0400

Wow Marcel - how much time does the candidate have to take this test?  All
good questions, but depending on the skills of the candidate, could take a
couple of days.  I've seen PhD dissertation arguments that took less time...

Just my opinion...

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 5:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Technician Test-

1.0 PCS-C concepts

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:54:40 -0400

A friend of mine from Sprint PCS sent this to me. He said I had 30 minutes to
complete it and send it back to him .

I made it to 9.2 (not in 30 Minutes)  then I got a headache.......

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 15:31:04 -0400

I've got a buddy of mine who has worked for Alltel for years, managing a
regional system - he'd take one look at it and ask why the heck they wanted
to know all this crap - he has a region to run...not a dissertation to
argue...

I will admit this test has its merits to see how much you can spit out in a
short period of time, but you would think this was more of a gate to keep
folks out if they had to answer this in just 30 minutes.  I thought HR's job
was to hire!

It reminds me of a test I took one time concerning the possibility of
becoming a "financial advisor".  Two hours later I was fuming...I could do
all of the calcs they wanted in 10 minutes using my financial calculator,
but they wanted it done my hand - just to see if it could be done.  I did it
all, but what a waste of my time - they never intended on hiring me because
of my age (38 is too old?!), but wanted to see if the test would keep me out
anyways.

HR has far too many tricks in their bag.  You should see what I see from
attending networking meetings down here.  We've had HR people from many
large (and small) companies totally contradict each other on nearly every
matter from resume writing to follow up phone calls.  One pair of HR
"specialists" from a large local bank just looked at each other about a
point another HR group had made at a previous presentation, and they spent
the next few minutes scribbling into their notepads, giggling like teenagers
the whole time.  Amazing and frustrating.

Long gone are the days of simply taking a candidate out for lunch and seeing
if they put salt on their food before tasting it...

Just my opinion...

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 1:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Technician Test-

A friend of mine from Sprint PCS sent this to me. He said I had 30 minutes
to
complete it and send it back to him .

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 18:23:08 -0400

Back in the late 90's I had a chance to work for Sprint in KS. I was given a
similar test at the Engineering level. It took 3.5 hrs and part of it was
performing predictive coverage analysis by HAND (no calculator, no slide rule,
no counting toes).
Needless to say most of my time was spent on this. I scored an 87 out of 100
(they were no impressed), but I got an offer letter the following week.

My only problem with Sprint was they had just FIRED the entire RF Engineering
staff  and  I was going to be cleaning up some one else's mess. Back then
carriers were offering all kinds of money and perks. I went for the money and
told Sprint  thanks but no thanks.

 
Yahoo! Groups Links