Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Proposes Using Airwaves Between TV Stations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 03:56:21 -0400

FCC Proposes Using Airwaves Between TV Stations

May 13, 2004
Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The airwaves between television channels could
become available for new wireless communications services under a
proposal issued by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission on
Thursday.
Despite objections by some television broadcasters, the FCC voted to
propose using the buffer space between television frequencies as long as
the new services do not cause interference for television broadcasters
and viewers.

The additional airwaves could help meet growing demand and encourage
innovations like the Wi-Fi wireless Internet services that now connect
consumers to the Web in airports, coffee shops and swimming pools.

"It's only going to happen if it can happen without causing harmful
interference to the broadcasters," said FCC Commissioner Kathleen
Abernathy.

The wireless industry -- particularly technology companies like Intel
Corp.

-- are anxious to get access to more airwaves so they can offer more
products for local area networks and high-speed Internet access.

The spectrum at issue, frequencies below 900 megahertz, is a desirable
segment because the signals there can easily penetrate walls, trees and
other obstructions unlike at higher frequencies.

Broadcasters, including major television networks like News Corp.'s Fox,
are fearful that such uses could disrupt their signals.
The FCC will gather comments on the proposal before determining whether
to make the airwaves available.
If the agency ultimately approves the plan, users would not have to seek
FCC permission before using the airwaves but would have to stop use if
there was harmful interference.

http://www.americasnetwork.com/americasnetwork/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=95305

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/