Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New York Senator Airs Unified Fire/Police Radio Plan

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 21:56:53 -0400

Updated: 05-23-2004 12:33:44 PM
New York Senator Airs Unified Fire/Police Radio Plan

JEREMY OLSHAN
Courtesy of New York Post

May 23, 2004 -- Police, firefighters and EMTs should adapt military
communication techniques and technology when responding to emergencies,
Sen. Chuck Schumer said yesterday.

Schumer is introducing a bill to establish a new agency responsible for
keeping rescue workers on the same wavelength.
The city agency would be a prototype for the planned Homeland Security
Signal Corps, which Schumer said is modeled on the Army Signal Corps.
Half of the project's initial $50 million budget would go to the city.

"We already have the best police and fire departments. This will make us
even better," Schumer said.

The departments were clearly not on the same frequency when Schumer
called yesterday's press conference. Fire officials showed up, but the
NYPD was a no-show.

City officials declined to comment on Schumer's proposal.
http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&id=30703

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/