Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cinergy Integrates Communications with a Motorola Voice and Data Harmony™ System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:33:30 -0400

Cinergy Integrates Communications with a Motorola Voice and Data
Harmony™ System
Utility to Boost Productivity with Mission Critical Features

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., - 18 May 2004 - Cinergy, a gas and electric utility
based in Cincinnati, has signed a contract with Motorola (NYSE:
MOT) to upgrade and integrate its current communications system. The
company, which serves 1.5 million electric and 500,000 natural
gas customers in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky, will install its own
private Harmony™ Wireless Communications System™ (HWCS) voice
and data IP network throughout its 25,000 square mile service area.

The HWCS will integrate voice and data communications across Cinergy’s
service area to provide mobile work groups with fast and flexible
communications services designed to increase employee productivity and
shorten problem resolution time.

“Motorola’s HWCS provides us with an integrated solution that reaches
across our geography and builds a digital bridge to our mobile
workforce,” said Bennett Gaines, Cinergy vice president and chief
technology officer. “Today we can communicate with our field forces, but

when this system is up and running we will be able to communicate with
voice AND data simultaneously – increasing productivity, reducing
response time, and cutting costs.

“The Harmony System stood out from other technologies we considered for
two reasons,” said Gaines. “First, it is technically mature, and
second, this is a long-term commitment for us. We were impressed with
the investment Motorola has made and continues to make in this
technology for today and the future.”

Motorola’s HWCS offers digital communication service including two-way
dispatch, cellular telephone, high-speed packet data communications and
messaging. The Harmony System’s advanced dispatch feature set –
emergency, priority access, status messaging and isolated site operation
– are specifically designed to serve the special mission critical needs
of the utility industry.

“In order to provide safe and reliable gas and electric service to our
customers, it is absolutely critical that we can effectively communicate

with our field forces, especially during system emergencies,” said John
Procario, Cinergy senior vice president and chief operating
officer. “The new Harmony System will provide the effective
communications we need today and provide the communication
infrastructure
for future service improvement initiatives such as automated meter
reading and distribution automation.”

“The HWCS voice and data wireless network will provide Cinergy with the
control and flexibility it wants to stay connected with many of its
most valuable assets – work crews, customers and critical
infrastructure,” said Mary Bottie, vice president and general manager,
Motorola’s Special Markets Division. “It also will supply Cinergy with
the scalability to enable a wide range of business critical
applications. We’re looking forward to working with Cinergy in deploying
a communications system that meets its rigid standards for reliability,
security and safety.”
The system that will provide coverage across Cinergy’s entire service
area will include more than 2,000 subscriber units. The first users are
expected to be online the first quarter of 2005 with the system
completed in 2006.

About Cinergy

Cinergy Corp. has a balanced, integrated portfolio consisting of two
core businesses: regulated operations and commercial businesses.
Cinergy’s regulated delivery operations in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky
serve 1.5 million electric customers and about 500,000 gas
customers. In addition, its Indiana regulated operations own 7,000
megawatts of generation. Cinergy’s commercial business unit is a
Midwest leader in low-cost generation owning 6,300 megawatts of capacity
with a profitable balance of stable existing customer
portfolios, new customer origination, marketing and trading, and
industrial-site cogeneration. The “into Cinergy” power-trading hub is
the
most liquid trading hub in the nation.

About Motorola’s Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector

Motorola’s Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector
(CGISS) is a leading provider of integrated radio communications
and information solutions, with more than 65 years of experience in
meeting the mission-critical requirements of public safety,
government and enterprise customers worldwide. In 2003, CGISS received
the inaugural Interpol Outstanding Contribution Award for its
services to the international law enforcement community. The sector
offers an extensive portfolio of solutions to meet growing public safety
and security needs, including: interoperable two-way radio
communications solutions; command and control solutions; identification
and tracking solutions; information management of criminal justice and
civil needs; and physical security and monitoring solutions.

About Motorola

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in wireless, broadband and
automotive communications technologies that help make life
smarter, safer, simpler, synchronized and fun. Sales in 2003 were U.S.
$27.1 billion. Motorola creates innovative technological solutions
that benefit people at home, at work and on the move. The company also
is a progressive corporate citizen dedicated to operating ethically,
protecting the environment and supporting the communities in which it
does business. For more information:
www.motorola.com

# # #

Media Contact:
Steve Gorecki
Motorola, Inc.
847-538-0368

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,4217_3568_23,00.html#

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/