Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO ENCOURAGES CONGRESS AND ADMINISTRATION TO SUPPORT S1250

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:12:59 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:  Courtney McCarron
202.833.9600
[email-masked]

APCO ENCOURAGES CONGRESS AND ADMINISTRATION TO SUPPORT
"ENHANCED 9-1-1 EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS ACT OF 2003"

May 10, 2004, Washington, DC - The Association of Public-Safety 
Communications Officials (APCO) International joined with the
Congressional 
Fire Services Institute (CFSI) to support the "Enhanced 9-1-1 
Emergency Communications Act of 2003 (S1250)."  During its Advisory 
Committee meeting in Washington, DC, CFSI passed a resolution in support
of 
the "Enhanced 9-1-1 Emergency Communications Act of 2003."

APCO International, which represents more than 16,000 public safety 
communications personnel around the world and has members in almost
every 
public safety answering point (PSAP) in the country, would like to have 
S1250 moved for a vote in the Senate as soon as possible.  APCO 
International encourages Congress and the Administration to support this 
critical legislation to help our nation's "first" first responders
answer 
the call for help. 

"Enhanced 9-1-1 is an essential part in making sure that our public
safety 
communications professionals are able to answer the call for help when
the 
public needs them the most," APCO International President Vincent Stile 
said. "Only 20 percent of the country's more than 7,000 PSAPs have 
installed the upgrades necessary to process a wireless E9-1-1 call.  
Unfortunately, many of the remaining PSAPs lack sufficient funds to pay
for 
the necessary upgrades." 

Recently, a letter was sent to Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) in which Peggy 
Foust, director of Grays Harbor E9-1-1, wrote, "Just today we received a 
wireless 9-1-1 call from a citizen threatening to commit suicide.  Due
to 
the fact that Phase II technology is not implemented in our County, we
were 
not able to locate this citizen and offer further assistance."  

"Public safety needs to be ready to receive and use this information
today,
" President 
Stile said.  "This bill will go a long way to ensure rapid emergency 
response whether the call comes from a wire line or wireless phone." 

About APCO International  
The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials International, 
Inc. is the world's oldest and largest not-for-profit professional 
organization dedicated to the enhancement of public safety
communications.  
With more than 16,000 members around the world, APCO International
exists 
to serve the people who manage, operate, maintain, and supply the 
communications systems used to safeguard the lives and property of
citizens 
everywhere.  For more information visit www.apcointl.org.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/