Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dems back DHS wireless office

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:54:55 -0400

Dems back DHS wireless office
BY Dibya Sarkar
May 19, 2004

House Democrats introduced a bill today that would establish a wireless
communications office within the Homeland Security Department and a $5
billion grant program to help first responders become interoperable.

"All first responders need, and quite frankly deserve, a commitment from
this Congress that the roadblocks that have prevented the implementation
of an interoperable communications system — particularly aging equipment
and a lack of consistent federal funding — will be eliminated," Rep.
Nita Lowey (D-N.Y.) said during a telephone press conference.

The Connecting the Operations of National Networks of Emergency
Communications Technologies (CONNECT) for First Responders Act would
create an Office of Wireless Public Safety Interoperable Communications
that would essentially replace the existing Safecom program office.

"They just can't seem to get this done," Lowey said about Safecom. "And
we hear from our police and our firefighters over and over again how
important this is. So we thought, 'If we just focus on a particular
office, get funding for that office, [and] let's hope we can get some
real accountability.'"

Citing a recent General Accounting Office report, Rep. Jim Turner
(D-Texas), ranking member on the Homeland Security Select Committee,
added Safecom "has made very little progress due to a lack of executive
commitment and an inadequate level of interagency cooperation. And based
on that report we have concluded that the proper thing to do is place
Project Safecom under the leadership of the Department of Homeland
Security."

The GAO report, however, also said DHS officials have shown high-level
executive support for Safecom, and the office is trying to establish
formal written agreements with other federal partners. The Safecom
office also recently published a comprehensive 192-page statement of
requirements, which outlines wireless communications interoperability
needs for public safety officials.

The CONNECT Act also requires creation of equipment purchasing standards
and guidance for first responders in this matter. The bill would create
a new five-year $5 billion grant program, with a 25 percent matching
grant from state and local jurisdictions, for state and local first
responders. That would include a temporary reimbursement program for any
purchases toward communications interoperability between Sept. 11, 2001
and enactment of the bill.

The Democratic announcement came as the 9-11 Commission was holding
hearings on the communication failures of New York first responders
during the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Police, fire and
emergency medical personnel encountered malfunctioning equipment,
sporadic communication and radio congestion during rescue operations.
Nearly 400 first responders died that day.

DHS Secretary Tom Ridge, who testified before the commission today about
the department's efforts during the past year, said activities in
interoperable communications will be coordinated by a new Office of
Interoperability and Compatibility that will be launched in the near
future.

"This office will focus not just on interoperable communications but
also on the gear and equipment that will be used by multiple
jurisdictions — firefighters and police officers from different
neighborhoods — as they join together to respond to a major event," he
said in his testimony. "In addition, this office has initiated a program
aimed at providing communications interoperability at disaster sites in
the near term. And we expect multiple cities to achieve this goal
sometime this fall."
The CONNECT Act is the latest in a slew of homeland security bills
proposed by House Democrats. Since May, they have presented legislation
dealing with bioterrorism and strengthening security in aviation, sea
ports and public transit.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0517/web-wireless-05-19-04.asp

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/