Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 2004 Washington State SAR Conference

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:39:43 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Long, Chris (EMD)" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  2004 Washington State SAR Conference

The 2004 Washington State Search and Rescue Conference was held May
17-23, 2004 at Cascade Peaks Campground near Packwood in Lewis County
Washington.  There were over 1300 participants at this year's conference
from search and rescue units, law enforcement agencies, the fire
service, and military units in Washington, Alaska, California, Idaho,
Kentucky, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Virginia,
Alberta, British Columbia, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and Ontario.  We
were also pleased to have three participants from the United Kingdom
this year as well.

Pre-conference training (May 17-20) featured three courses sponsored by
the Washington State SAR Office: SAR Incident Management, Search Team
Leader, and Child Stranger Abduction Homicide. Other pre-conference
courses included Crime Scene Dive, Tracking, and ATV as well as two SAR
Dog courses.

The conference itself consisted of over 80 different classes with many
presented two or more times.  Subjects ranged from Alzheimer's Lost
Person Behavior, Urban Search, Interviewing, Major Incident Management,
Search Management for the Search Team Leader, and SAR Leadership to
Horses in SAR, Basic Ropes, 4X4 in SAR, APRS/GIS Integration, Basic Map
Reading, Basic Helicopter, and Volunteer Team Building. Included were
seven different SAR dog classes and over 12 SAR management classes for
team leaders, SAR managers, and incident commanders.

Lewis County Search and Rescue and the Lewis County Sheriff's Office are
to be congratulated for hosting an outstanding SAR conference this year!

Chelan County will host next year's conference May 20-22, 2005
(pre-conference training May 16-19) in Leavenworth, Washington.  The
2005 Washington State SAR Conference web site is: <www.chelansar.org
<www.chelansar.org> >.

Mark your calendars and hope to see you there next year!

Chris Long
Washington State SAR Coordinator