Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 911 Nextel call went to the WRONG County.......

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 21:35:24 -0400

Emergency Calls Reach Wrong 911 Center
Wayne Havrelly KIRO 7 Consumer Investigator

UPDATED: 10:18 AM PDT May 18, 2004

When you make a 911 call, seconds can mean
the difference between life and death. If you use
a cell phone, we discovered the 911 operator
might not know where you are.

KIRO 7 Consumer Investigator Wayne Havrelly
exposes what's causing this serious problem.

With the help of emergency officials and
cell phone providers, we tested a local 911 system.

We checked out
a problem one of
our viewers
experienced -- a
problem that
cost him
precious minutes
during a recent
emergency.

Scott Manard
spotted a terrible accident and stopped
to help.

"This poor guy was in severe pain and in need of medical attention,"
Manard said.
Manard called 911 on his cell phone, but the operator wasn't familiar
with the highway he was on.
After being on hold several minutes, the 911 operator gave him a number
to call in Eastern Washington.

"I said 'I'm in Western Washington. Why are you giving me that number?'
She said 'Well, where are you?' I'd already told her where I was, I
said, 'Kitsap County is in Western Washington,' and she was stunned!"
The confused 911 operator was several counties away!

Fortunately, someone with a 2-way radio drove by and alerted a nearby
fire department. The victim survived, but he's still in the hospital
after almost three months.

Operator: "911, what is your emergency?"

Havrelly: "This is Wayne Havrelly with KIRO-TV."

With the permission of Kitsap County officials, we made a series of test
calls.

We dialed 911 from five locations in the county, starting with the scene
of the accident on the Hansville Highway.

Dispatcher: "Oh you're in Marysville."

Havrelly: "I'm calling from Kitsap County."

AT&T was the only service that went to the county we were in.  The
Nextel phone connected us with Everett 911, Sprint with Island County,
Qwest with Everett, Verizon with the State Patrol in Marysville and
Cingular with Snohomish County.
We called again from just a few hundred yards south, and the results
were different.

Nextel went to Island County instead of Everett and Cingular simply
wouldn't connect with anyone.

You can see there's no consistency here at all!

When we moved several miles north to Foul Weather Bluff at the northern
tip of the county, none of the calls went to Kitsap operators. Instead,
the signals traveled over the Hood Canal to Jefferson County.
When we moved south to Seabeck, again every call we made went to
Jefferson County.
On the west side of the county in Manchester, our 911 calls traveled
straight to the big city across the bay.

"OK, this is Seattle police?"

911 operators in Kitsap County say they've actually received emergency
calls from people in Canada. In fact while we were shooting this video
we watched an operator get an emergency call from someone at Snoqualmie
Pass.

Cell phone providers say it's a matter of physics. Cell phone signals
travel much farther across water than they do over land.
They don't always hit the closest cell tower.

It's quite a challenge for emergency services, especially when you
consider some street addresses are identical in neighboring counties.

For example, in Kitsap County there's a Beach Drive. But there's also a
Beach Drive in West Seattle.
911 operators tell me there have been times when they've sent emergency
crews to an address in the wrong county.
Scott Manard hopes the cell phone technology improves quickly and that
911 operators get more familiar with neighboring counties.

"It was frightening that you couldn't get a service that was intended to
get medical attention as quickly as possible," Manard said.

Out of the 30 calls we made, only two made it the correct 911 center.
By the end of this year most 911 centers will have equipment to better
pinpoint where the calls are coming from.

Also, the cell phone providers are constantly improving their equipment.

But experts say even the best technology doesn't always work.

So when you call 911, tell the operator what county you're in -- just in
case the information on the screen they're looking at is wrong.Copyright
2004 by KIROTV.com.

http://www.kirotv.com/consumer/3315808/detail.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/