Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel and low-level transmitters

From: "Mark Schroeder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 13:54:16 -0000

Having a new position, my organization is using portable radios to 
communicate with a wide area 800 MHz MOTO trunk system, that is not 
in Public Safety 800MHZ band plan.

Nextel has quite a presence in our area.

Would like to know of anyone else who may have experiance with 
analyzing Nextel interfence potential at low level sites(buildings, 
shortened towers in a flight path) vs. "normal" height.

And... its effect on MOTOROLA portable radios such as the XTS3000 or 
XTS5000.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Josh O." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 23:39:42 -0400

Nextel has their crap all over town, and (unfortunately) growing.

I also own and use an XTS3000 and notice that, in comparison to older radios 
such as the STX821 and MTS2000 800Mhz radios, the XTS receives far less 
interference from NexTel towers. The STiX used to get hammered to the point 
that all communications were lost within eye-sight of a NexTel site. The 
MTS2000 would get heavy static on the same system from the same site, and 
the XTS3000 receives no noticable interference (and they say that the 
balanced approach plan won't work).

Now, when you're in the designed coverage are for your system, you shouldn't 
have any problems, but if you're outside of the intended portable coverage 
area, be aware that you will have problems.

Take for example Michigan's 800Mhz state-wide digital system boasting 97% 
mobile coverage in both peninsulas...when trying to receive the nearest 
SmartZone site from my location (which is inbetween two and both are at 
least 5+ miles away) A tower site solely with NexTel's antennas during peak 
operating hours (mid-afternoon/rush hour) will destroy the audio so much 
from their "low profile" tower that nothing can be interpreted. It is this 
way for about 1/4 mile from any direction and is especially bad, obviously, 
on any 'side' with panels pointed at you.

NexTel's noisemakers have made me mad in this regard for years. As far as 
the state-wide system, I'd be curious as to whether or not this site causes 
problems on a mobile unit as well. Control channels on the problem site are 
in the 865's, voice channels for the state system range from 866-868Mhz with 
a Control on the highest 868Mhz frequency for the site, so even with a 
difference of 1-4 Mhz, NexTel will still cause heavy interference.....their 
consensus plan as long as NexTel is in the 800mhz will never work and 
interference will still be heavily laden on and nearby frequency.

BAH! To NexTel!

Josh Osmialowski
KC8UTI
WPTP753

>From: "Mark Schroeder" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel and low-level transmitters
>Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 13:54:16 -0000
>

_________________________________________________________________
FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! 
http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/

 
Yahoo! Groups Links