Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "The Move to High-Tech Tracking of Inmates"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:03:00 -0400

"The Move to High-Tech Tracking of Inmates"
Christian Science Monitor (05/07/04) P. 2; Axtman, Kris

States with budget concerns are turning to Global Positioning Satellite
(GPS) technology to track inmates released on early
parole, defendants awaiting trial, and those on probation. Thirty-two
states and 125 jurisdictions employ the technology,
which provides law enforcement with real-time monitoring of a person's
whereabouts. The tracking of inmates allows states
and jurisdictions to reap savings by eliminating the $50-per-day costs
of housing inmates eligible for GPS tracking. The cost
of using the GPS technology, which uses an electronic bracelet to
transmit the wearer's location to satellites, averages $5 per
day for each inmate. The technology is especially useful for determining
whether a parolees are violating conditions of their
parole by entering a bar, an area frequented by schoolchildren, or some
other location. The Florida Department of
Corrections reports that the state has reduced the number of sex
offenders that reoffend to between 3 percent and 7 percent
from about 50 percent since it began using the tracking system in 1997.
Elizabeth Alexander of the ACLU has reservations
about using the technology, but is mostly supportive of using GPS
tracking to lower the number of people imprisoned. The
case of Lawrence Napper, who violated his parole restrictions 444 times
while wearing a tracking bracelet, shows that GPS
tracking must be closely monitored to be successful. www.csmonitor.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/