Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PTT & Data Services Are Now Available to Nextel Subs between the United States, Brazil, Argentina and Peru as well as between the United States and Canada.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 12:16:12 -0400

Nextel Announces Another Industry First for Walkie-Talkie Technology
RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 4, 2004--Nextel Communications, Inc.
(NASDAQ:NXTL):
Nextel Launches World's Largest Multinational Walkie-Talkie Service
through
Partnership with NII Holdings and TELUS Mobility

Push To Talk(SM) and Data Services Are Now Available to Nextel Customers
between
the United States, Brazil, Argentina and Peru as well as between the
United States and Canada

Mexico Availability Slated for Summer

Nextel Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NXTL), in partnership with NII
Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:
NIHD) and TELUS Mobility, a subsidiary of TELUS Corporation (TSX: T,
T.A; NYSE: TU), today announced the availability of International Direct
Connect(SM) walkie-talkie service. This service provides under-a-second
digital walkie-talkie connections between the United States, Brazil,
Argentina and Peru as well as between the United States and Canada.
Nextel U.S.  subscribers traveling in these countries can now also
benefit from data services, including BlackBerry(R) and mobile e-mail,
two-way messaging and wireless Web access. Nextel and NII Holdings also
plan to launch International

Direct Connect service in Mexico this summer.

"Nextel is taking instant walkie-talkie service beyond international
borders with ranges of 7,000 miles. International Direct Connect is
nothing short of a wireless industry milestone," said Tom Kelly,
executive vice president and COO, Nextel. "International Direct Connect
walkie-talkie service is especially appealing to our customers who
conduct cross-border business in critical regions such as Canada, which
is the United States' largest trading partner, in industries such as
transportation, financial services and manufacturing. It is also of
particular interest to our Spanish-speaking subscribers with ties to
Latin America."

International Direct Connect walkie-talkie service provides the same
exceptional performance as Nextel's Nationwide Direct Connect( SM)
walkie-talkie service with connection speeds under one second. It is an
expansion of Nextel's current coverage in northern Baja California,
Mexico, which launched with NII Holdings in September 2003, making
Nextel the only cellular provider in the United States to offer
cross-border walkie-talkie service. In 1992, Nextel was the first
cellular service provider in the United States to offer digital
walkie-talkie service.

With International Direct Connect walkie-talkie service, Nextel
subscribers can seamlessly send and receive walkie-talkie calls:
in the United States, Brazil, Argentina and Peru - wherever Nextel or
NII Holdings has coverage - with Nextel or NII Holdings subscribers, or
in the United States or Canada - wherever Nextel or TELUS Mobility has
coverage - with Nextel or TELUS Mobility subscribers.

Nextel subscribers can now also use select data services:
in the United States, Brazil, Argentina and Peru - wherever Nextel or
NII Holdings has
coverage - with other Nextel subscribers, or

in the United States or Canada - wherever Nextel or TELUS Mobility has
coverage - with Nextel or TELUS Mobility subscribers.

For example, a Nextel subscriber working remotely in Brazil can now have
a walkie-talkie conversation with a Nextel subscriber visiting an office
in Argentina. Or a Nextel subscriber living in the United States can
send and receive messages on their Nextel BlackBerry while visiting
Canada.

Additionally, NII Holdings subscribers can now send and receive
walkie-talkie calls with NII Holdings or Nextel subscribers in NII
coverage areas in Brazil, Argentina and Peru or in Nextel coverage
areas. TELUS Mobility subscribers can send and receive walkie-talkie
calls and select data services with TELUS Mobility or Nextel subscribers
anywhere in TELUS Mobility or Nextel coverage areas. Subscribers of
Nextel, NII Holdings and TELUS Mobility can already send and receive
regular cellular calls in each other's coverage areas (international
calling activation may apply).

More than 90 percent of Nextel customers have enabled Nationwide Direct
Connect walkie-talkie service on their accounts. Nationwide Direct
Connect, which has been available in all markets served by Nextel and
Nextel Partners for almost a year, allows users to connect
coast-to-coast in under one second.

Nextel, NII Holdings and TELUS Mobility operate on Motorola's iDEN
(integrated Digital Enhanced Network) technology, which provides
superior digital voice quality, security, reception and reliability.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a FORTUNE 200 company based in Reston, Va., is a
leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications services
and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the
country covering thousands of communities across the United States.
Today 95 percent of FORTUNE 500(R) companies are Nextel customers.
Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc. currently serve 294 of the top 300 U.S.
markets where approximately 251 million people live or work.
About NII Holdings

NII Holdings, Inc., a publicly held company based in Reston, Va., is a
leading provider of mobile communications for business customers in
Latin America. NII Holdings, Inc. has operations in Argentina, Brazil,
Mexico and Peru, offering a fully integrated wireless communications
tool with digital cellular service, text/numeric paging, wireless
Internet access and Nextel Direct Connect(R), a digital two-way radio
feature. NII Holdings, Inc. trades on the NASDAQ market under the symbol
NIHD. Visit the Company's website at http://www.nii.com.

About TELUS Mobility
TELUS Mobility, a subsidiary of TELUS, provides its more than 3 million
clients across Canada with a full suite of wireless voice, Internet and
data services through its PCS and Mike digital wireless networks.
Together with Spotnik Mobile, TELUS Mobility is building a national
network of Hotspots in premium locations such as transportation
facilities, hotels, conference centers, commercial properties and cafes.
For more about TELUS Mobility products please visit TELUSMobility.com.
TELUS (TSX: T, T.A; NYSE: TU) is the largest telecommunications company
in Western Canada and the second largest in the country, with over $7
billion of annual revenue, 4.9 million network access lines and 3.3
million wireless subscribers. The company provides subscribers with a
full range of telecommunications products and services including data,
voice and wireless services across Canada, utilizing next generation
internet-protocol-based network technologies. TELUS was a premier
founding supporter of the successful bid to bring the 2010 Winter
Olympic and Paralympic Games to Canada.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/