Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel, AirClic Win PonyExpress

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 07:03:25 -0400

Story as compiled from WirelessIQ
www.wirelessiq.info
----------------------------------------------------

Nextel, AirClic Win PonyExpress

May 10, 2004 | 1:03 PM

BOCA RATON, Fla.&mdash; Pony Express U.S.A., Inc., a leading business
delivery solutions provider,
announced today that it has equipped its Drivers with Nextel
Communications' handsets featuring Global
Positioning System (GPS) and the AirClic mobile business process
automation service. PonyExpress is
using the service and the handsets to scan packages and track the
activities of its Drivers. The status of
shipments, including Proof of Delivery (POD), may now be accessed via
the PonyExpress Web site at
www.usepony.com .

PonyExpress has deployed the AirClic service on Motorola's i58sr
handsets. The i58sr uses assisted
GPS, Java, and a barcode-scanning accessory. In combination with the
handset, the service works
seamlessly with Nextel's wireless all-digital packet data network to
provide the Drivers with access to and
transmission of critical information at their point of activity, while
helping reduce data entry errors. Using
Nextel's packet data network, the AirClic mobile business process
automation service enables
PonyExpress to:

Monitor Driver activities and package status;
Receive status reports from the field, even in case of emergency;
Realize continuous process improvement;
Utilize scanned shipment data to "check and balance" billing systems;
Easily view and retrieve data using standard Internet technologies; and
Instantly communicate with Drivers.

"Previously our Drivers collected pick-up and delivery information
through a combination of manual and
legacy systems," said Peter Ticktin, President and CEO of PonyExpress.
"With the AirClic technology,
we provide our customers with the latest technology to track their
shipments and retrieve POD
information. This enables us to successfully compete for more of the
time- sensitive expedited higher
revenue services. The AirClic mobile business process automation service
increases the Drivers' efficiency
while saving huge amounts of time and resources."

"The AirClic-Nextel solution enables PonyExpress to gain instant access
to and visibility into their mobile
workforce," said Henry Popplewell, Vice President, transportation and
distribution for Nextel
Communications. "This is incredibly effective for receiving and
delivering real-time information, and
increasing the productivity and responsiveness of PonyExpress' Drivers
and dispatchers. In addition, we
are hopeful that it will meet the needs and exceed the expectations of
their customers."

"AirClic's on-demand services quickly and cost-effectively impart
visibility and accountability into the last
mile of the supply chain, while at the same time making the filed
personnel more productive," said Peter
B. Ritz, AirClic's President and co-founder. "We look forward to
continuing growth with PonyExpress."

http://www.wirelessiq.info/content/newsfeed/1001.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/