Subject: Re: [Modern] EPP

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 20:40:12 +0000

My sense is that any numbering OSS development will need code development, since the process will presumably differ from the current model, particularly if we allow consumers (and other end users) to "rent" numbers. Anything-over-HTTP is just invoking a library, so I'm not sure I understand the trade-off. Or are you suggesting that the new mechanism needs to be fully backwards-compatible with the current Neustar LNPA and other APIs?

________________________________________
From: Richard Shockey [[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 4:34 PM
To: Henning Schulzrinne; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Modern] Almost Halloween - time to wake the numbering zombies

The baggage is dealing with the OSS/BSS systems in carrier voice networks.
 EPP as a theory is fine but it would be next to impossible to get a
different transport stack in those systems. Ask a carrier what it takes to
get a change order in one of these products and you will hear endless
tales of woe and rent extraction.

Frankly EPP was a failure as a IETF protocol since it was not really
designed to be a generic system provisioning protocol.

Money is the answer what is the question? TM

Plus I agree JSON vs XML is a second order problem but comes up .. There
are a lot of interesting discussions in the DRINKS archives about this but
there is really no need to go too far back there.