Subject: [Modern] Revised paragraph 2 of MODERN charter

From: Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 07:36:57 -0500

All,

I have made one change based on Richard's feedback, removing 
"individuals and", leaving just entities. This recognizes that an 
individual can be an entity in this context if supported by the the 
policy regime in place.  I will remove the reference to CNAM if no one 
objects (see separate email thread).

Here's the new proposed paragraph 2:

The working group will define an information management framework for 
the roles and functions involved in associating information with one or 
more TNs in an IP environment.  The working group will also define 
protocol mechanisms to support the interactions between the functions 
defined by the framework.  This includes either recommending or defining 
protocol mechanisms for acquiring, associating and resolving TNs.  The 
protocol mechanism for acquiring TNs will provide an enrollment process 
for the individuals and entities that use and manage TNs. TNs may either 
be managed in a hierarchical tree, or in a distributed peer-to-peer 
architecture. Privacy of the managed data and security of the resource 
will be primary considerations.  The protocol mechanism for resolving 
TNs will allow entities such as service providers, devices, and 
applications to access data related to TNs, possibly including caller 
name data (CNAM).  Maintaining reliability, real time application 
performance, security and privacy are primary considerations.  The 
working group will take into consideration existing IETF work including 
ENUM, SPEERMINT, and DRINKS.

Regards,

Steve