Subject: [Monami6] BID sub-option length validation in draft-ietf-monami6-multiplecoa-00.txt

From: "Tero Kauppinen (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:50:40 +0300

Hi Ryuji,

Section 6.2. says:

    o  If the Binding Unique Identifier sub-option is with C flag set and
       no care-of address is present in the sub-option, the receiver node
       MUST set 128 in the Status field of the Binding Unique Identifier
       sub-option and send a Binding Acknowledgment with status code set
       to 145 with the Binding Unique Identifier sub-option

which is okay, but should it also say that if the C flag is unset the 
length field must be set to 4? In other words, the receiver should check 
that the length field is either 4 or 20 and if not, it should send an 
error (128).

Cheers,
Tero

_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6

---

From: RYUJI WAKIKAWA <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:16:49 +0900

Hi Tero

Thanks for comments and sorry for late reply.

Actually, unless the length of BID sub-option is less than 4, the  
receiver can process the sub-option.
I modified the texts like:

     If the C flag is unset in a Binding Unique Identifier
       sub-option(s), the length field MUST be 4. Otherwise, the
       receiver MUST return the error code 128 in the status field of
       the Binding Unique Identifier sub-option and send a Binding
       Acknowledgment with status code set to 145 with the Binding
       Unique Identifier sub-option. When the length field is more than
       4, the receiver MAY process this sub-option by ignoring the rest
       of field beyond the 4 octets (i.e. after Reserved field).

regards,
ryuji

ps. I will submit the updated draft soon (before the cutoff)..

On 2006/10/11, at 23:50, Tero Kauppinen (JO/LMF) wrote:

> which is okay, but should it also say that if the C flag is unset  
> the length field must be set to 4? In other words, the receiver  
> should check that the length field is either 4 or 20 and if not, it  
> should send an error (128).
>
> Cheers,
> Tero
>