Subject: [Monami6] Separate protocol header for flow distribution

From: Gábor Fekete <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:58:22 +0300

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about how we could have a flow management
protocol that could be used by more than just Mobile IPv6 in
a way that requires minimal changes to their mobility protocol
signaling (e.g. message formats).

The idea is to create a new IPv6 extension header to carry
Flow Descriptor(s) and transfer this header in packets that
belong to mobility protocol signaling (e.g. MIPv6 BU or
HIP I2/UPDATE). The point in carrying it with existing mobility
protocol signaling messages is to possibly use the security
such a signaling offers. This way a Flow Descriptor would be
accepted by a peer (e.g. CN or HA) only if the particular
mobility (multihoming) signaling has succeeded.

So, a packet with Flow Descriptors and multihoming protocol
headers would look like this:

 +------+------+-----+-------+-----+-------------+---
 | MAC  | IPv6 | ... | FDesc | ... | Multih. Hdr | ...
 +------+------+-----+-------+-----+-------------+---

The end result is similar to stuffing the Flow Descriptors inside
e.g. BU messages in case of MIPv6, but having them in a separate
extension header makes it possible to be used by various multihoming
capable protocols.
The only modification to signaling message formats would be the
inclusion of Flow Descriptor Identifier (FID) values to refer to
Flow Descriptors.

So what do you think?

Regards,
Gabor Fekete

_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6