Subject: Re: [Moq] Gathering prior work, use cases, requirements

From: Maxim Sharabayko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 11:48:54 +0000

Hi James,

Thank you for the summary. Great work!

I completely endorse the next step you suggest.
I would also suggest to identify the main goal(s) of the MOQ group to better understand the scope and directions.

Do we aim to create a new IETF protocol?
Do we aim to provide guidelines on combining existing media protocols (e.g. RTP, SRT, …) with QUIC?
Do we want to create some guidelines (in the form of RFC) on utilizing QUIC for media? E.g. congestion controls compatible with live media use cases, configuration guidelines, negotiations, etc.

--
Regards,
Maxim Sharabayko
Senior Software Developer | Haivision

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 07:43:48 -0500

Hi, Maxim,

> I completely endorse the next step you suggest.

I agree, except with the characterization of that step as the "next step".

Maxim's list is really important, and especially

> I would also suggest to identify the main goal(s) of the MOQ group to
> better understand the scope and directions.
>
>
>

Knowing whether we intend to create one or more new protocols, to extend
one or more existing protocols, or some of each, is going to be fundamental
to getting this work chartered in the IETF, whether it's chartered as a new
working group, added to the charter of an existing working group, or
"something else".

My recommendation to BOF proponents (for more than a decade) has been to
identify gaps in the existing protocols that might be used, with no further
IETF work required, except for the gaps that prevent that.

Do we aim to provide guidelines on combining existing media protocols (e.g.
> RTP, SRT, …) with QUIC?

That would be a worthy goal, and depending on what work is proposed for
charter(s), could be included there, if there is enough interest for people
to commit to work on it.

> Do we want to create some guidelines (in the form of RFC) on utilizing
> QUIC for media? E.g. congestion controls compatible with live media use
> cases, configuration guidelines, negotiations,
>

That would also be a worthy goal if there is enough interest. I'd note that
the TSV area typically relies on the ICCRG research group for studies that
inform many of the congestion control choices that IETF working groups
make, and although this list is owned in the ART area, that would require
discussion with TSV, more than the other items on your excellent list.

Best,

Spencer

> etc.