Subject: [MORG] Updated MORG WG Charter proposal

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:24:53 -0600

Based on various face-to-face and offline email discussions I would like 
to propose the following Charter for MORG:

=====================
The IETF Message Organization extensions Working Group will work on IMAP 
extensions that improve clients' ability to find messages or groups of 
messages in an IMAP mailstore.  As a secondary goal, the WG will design 
its extensions so as to minimize client/server round trips and bandwidth 
overhead.

In particular the Working Group is chartered to finalize and publish the 
following IMAP extensions as proposed standards:

(a) A SORT extension specifying new sort criteria for header fields 
containing email addresses.  This extension will be based on 
draft-karp-morg-sortdisplay-00.txt.
(b) A SEARCH extension specifying new search criteria for header fields 
containing email addresses.

(c) A LIST extension for returning STATUS information in LIST 
responses.  This extension will be based on 
draft-melnikov-imapext-status-in-list-00.txt.

(d) An extension that formalizes a way to return message counters by 
message context using STATUS and SEARCH commands.

(e) An extension that specifies Internet-search-engine-like searching.  
Such searches would be more flexible (and less formally defined) than 
substring-based searches, and may return their results in a significant 
order.  They may include "relevance" scores or similar information that 
could be useful to the user.

(f) New collation algorithms such as "ignore whitespace" and "numeric, 
ignoring punctuation".  The WG group will determine which collations are 
needed, taking into consideration the needs of the protocols that use 
the collation framework.

(g) An extension that allows searching for messages within a message 
thread. This extension will be based on 
draft-gulbrandsen-imap-inthread-03.txt.

(h) An extension that allows searching of multiple mailboxes at the same 
time (based on draft-melnikov-imapext-multimailbox-search-03.txt), or of 
multiple mailbox views.  The WG will determine which approach (mailboxes 
or views) is more suitable as part of its work.

Additional documents may be added this list, but only via a charter 
revision. There must also be demonstrable willingness in the IMAP 
development community to actually implement a given extension before it 
can be added to this charter.

Revising or replacing the base IMAP4rev1 specification (RFC 3501) is out 
of the scope of this WG.  This WG will ensure that all extensions it 
proposes take into account any existing problems in the base 
specification of IMAP, and do not make them worse nor make them problems 
harder to address in the future.

_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html