Subject: [MORG] Multi-mailbox search via virtual views

From: Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 04:12:04 +0200

Before writing any kind of a draft (well, I wouldn't have time anytime  
soon anyway), here's a short description of what I was thinking. Does  
it seem like I'm on the right track? (Dovecot already implements most  
of this, except IMAP commands to find/create the views.)

1. A new namespace for virtual views, hidden from normal clients but  
visible in some way to clients supporting the views. (e.g. an extended  
NAMESPACE reply after ENABLE VIEWS).

2. New commands to create views based on some rules. Must support at  
least "all mails in mailboxes in namespaces (x, y, ..)" and "all mails  
in mailboxes in namespace (x, y, ..) except mailboxes (a,  
b, ..)" (e.g. "all except Spam").

I wouldn't mind full LIST wildcard support with include and exclude  
lists (with * not crossing namespaces). View delete/renames can be  
done with regular DELETE/RENAME command. Also I'd like to have  
optional SEARCH parameters which would make these views useful for  
more than just multi-mailbox search. But that of course makes it a lot  
more complex to implement efficiently.

3. Views can be selected and accessed just like normal mailboxes.  
Preferrably they'd also have a permanent UIDVALIDITY.

4. Add new FETCH fields for finding the original mail in original  
mailbox: MAILBOX, UIDV, RUID for real mailbox, mailbox uidvalidity and  
UID.

_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html