Subject: Re: [MORG] multimailbox comments

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:55:27 -0500

Hi Timo,

--On January 26, 2009 10:30:47 AM -0500 Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I wrote about my plans a couple of months ago, but there were no
> replies: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/morg/current/msg00078.html
>
> I could start writing a (yet another) draft about views, but I won't
> bother if no one else has interest in implementing them.

Interest in implementing isn't sufficient. Commitment to implement is. The 
key thing here is that "virtual" mailboxes are not of interest to desktop 
clients because they mostly already do that using their local cache. So 
what you need is a firm commitment from mobile client vendors to implement 
this - having them simply say "that sounds interesting" shouldn't be enough 
to distract this group from its existing tasks (given that in the past 
"view" was something of a rathole).

Let me ask this: how many people participating in this group are real 
client implementors? How many work on desktop vs mobile?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:04:00 +0000

> Hi Timo,

Hi Cyrus,

> Interest in implementing isn't sufficient. Commitment to implement is. 
> The key thing here is that "virtual" mailboxes are not of interest to 
> desktop clients because they mostly already do that using their local 
> cache.

This is not quite true: this assumes that the client has cached 
*everything*, which is not always the case.
Personally, I am only interested in being able to find stuff in any of 
the specified mailboxes. Virtual multimailbox view can be used for that, 
even by desktop clients.
(For example I would hope that clients like Thunderbird would take 
advantage of this, as they already implement this feature using just the 
basic IMAP)

> So what you need is a firm commitment from mobile client vendors to 
> implement this - having them simply say "that sounds interesting" 
> shouldn't be enough to distract this group from its existing tasks 
> (given that in the past "view" was something of a rathole).
>

I can't count myself as a desktop or mobile client developer, even 
though I have a specialized client I am writing.

---

From: Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:43:07 -0500

> client implementors? How many work on desktop vs mobile?

I think webmail clients are also important. They're the ones that can
start using the new features the most rapidly. I know at least one
custom webmail implementation has implemented multi-mailbox search using
Dovecot's virtual views and they liked how easily it was possible to
implement.
_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html