Subject: Re: [MORG] sortdisplay

From: Dan Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:31:49 -0800 (PST)

> > > Shouldn't it also define DISPLAYTO? I'd think that's also important,
> > > especially in "Drafts" and "Sent messages" mailboxes.
> > 
> > I've been wrestling with this, and the problem I have is that the "To"
> > header is multivalued, but the order of those addressees has no meaning.
> > If "To: Alexey, Timo" sorts different from "To: Timo, Alexey", you may
> > have a problem.  And no matter how you slice it, "To: Alexey, Timo" is
> > probably not going to sort with "To: Timo", which is a bummer if I'm
> > trying to find messages sent to Timo.
> 
> Is this really a problem? In my "Sent Messages" mailbox only 25 of 17457
> messages have multiple recipients. I think most other people also put
> only one recipient to To: field and the rest to Cc. That's also how
> clients usually do the replying.

Yes, replies go to the replied-to message's sender with all other visible 
recipients relegated to CC.  But when sending non-reply mail out to
multiple recipients, everyone usually ends up on the To line.

Let me check my personal email for some anecdotal evidence...  OK, my 15
most recent messages break down as follows:

   3 messages sent to a single recipient
   5 messages sent with multiple "To" addressees (some with additional CCs)
   7 replies (MUA moves other recipients to CC line, if any)

My work email is more along the lines you've mentioned:

   1 message sent to a single recipient
   1 messages sent with multiple "To" addressees (some with additional CCs)
   1 message sent to a single "To" with additional CCs
   12 replies (MUA moves other recipients to CC line, if any)