Subject: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:19:51 +0200

All,

this is a discussion we need and a decision we mast take.

1. The "A Framework for MPLS in Transport Networks"
    draft-blb-mpls-tp-framework-00, says:

"3.5. Operations and Management (OAM)..............8"

2. MPLS Generic Associated Channel
    draft-bocci-pwe3-mpls-tp-ge-ach-00.txt says:

"Operations and Maintenance (OAM)"

3. MPLS TP Network Management Requirements
    draft-gray-mpls-tp-nm-req-00.txt says:

"Operations and Maintenance (OAM)"

4.  MPLS-TP Requirements
     draft-jenkins-mpls-mpls-tp-requirements-00
- does not expand the acronym

5.  MPLS-TP OAM Analysis
     draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-analysis-01.txt says:

"OAM (Operations, Administration, and Maintenance)"

6. Multiprotocol Label Switching Transport Profile
    Survivability Framework
    draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-survive-fwk-00.txt:
  - does not expand the acronym

7. Assignment of the Generic Associated Channel Header Label (GAL)
    draft-vigoureux-mpls-tp-gal-00  says:

Operations and Management (OAM)

8. Requirements for OAM in MPLS Transport Networks
    draft-vigoureux-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-00 says:
"OAM (Operations and Management)"

There seems to be three different possible expansions (interpretations)
of the OAM acronym, I don't know which one is right, if any, but I'm
pretty sure that we can't have three different understandings of what
OAM means, with less than that we actually write something about why
we think we need all the three variants.

I also think that we should be explicit about what the acronym stands
for (expand it at the first occurance) in all the documents.

Anyone that has abetter understanding of this than I have?

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                            [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Mpls-interop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop

---

From: "Lam, Hing-Kam \(Kam\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:33:26 -0500

Loa,

Glad that this is brought up for discussion. We should have a unified
use of the acronym OAM. 

For information, traditionally in telecom world, 
OAM stands for "Operations, Administration and Maintenance", also 
OAM&P stands for "Operations, Administration, Maintenance and
Provisioning" and have been defined in the Telecom Glossary (ANSI
T1.523-2001) and used in the titles of many ANSI standards for years.

By the way, you might want to look at Section 4 of the MPLS-TP NM
Requirements draft draft-gray-mpls-tp-nm-req-00.txt. We describe the
distinction and relationship of vertical and horizontal OAM from a NM
management perspective.

Regards,
Kam  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Loa Andersson
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:20 PM
To: MEAD team
Subject: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

All,

4.  MPLS-TP Requirements

5.  MPLS-TP OAM Analysis

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

---

From: Huub van Helvoort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:00:02 +0200

FYI,

I did a quick check of relevant ITU-T Recommendations related to 
transport (G.8110.1, G.8121, Y.1731, G.8131, ETH, SDH, OTN, ...)
define OAM as *Operations, Administration and Maintenance*.

It is only G.8101 "Terms and definitions for transport MPLS"
that has as second option *Operations and Maintenance*

So using *Operations, Administration and Maintenance* would
be most consistent.

Cheers, Huub.

-- 
================================================================
                   http://www.van-helvoort.eu/
================================================================
Always remember that you are unique...just like everyone else...
_______________________________________________
Mpls-interop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop

---

From: "Italo Busi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:19:46 +0200

I agree that we should have a consistent definition of the OAM acronym across
the whole set of MPLS-TP document.

I agree with the proposals I have seen so far: *Operations, Administration and
Maintenance* better matches my understanding of what OAM does in transport
networks (including MPLS-TP).

Italo

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Huub van Helvoort
> Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:00 PM
> Cc: MEAD team
> Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed
> 
> FYI,
>

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:53:23 +0200

Italo et.al.,

if it only were to understand how ITU-T Recommendations define the
acronym - "OAM" - this would be all well and dandy.

With the caveat that I'm not an OAM and Management area expert :)

1. The IETF does not use the OAM acronym, O&M (Operations and
    Management), this is the tradition that the MPLS architecture has
    been developed in. Most of the IETF Management is Network Element
    Management.
2. With the definition of OAM as "Operations, Administration and
    Maintenance" I still think what we talk bout in the MPLS-TP drafts
    actually talks about Management, isn't monitoring part of FCAPS?

Note that I'm not saying that we should use or not use either the IETF
or the ITU-T definitions here, but that we need to be clear about needs
to be done *and* that we need some text explaining what we are doing.

In some cases where we say "OAM", it might be that we should say "OAM
and Management". I also thought about if there is a "structure" that
is applicable here

1. Operations and Management
    1.1. OAM
         1.1.1. Operations
                1.1.1.1. Provisioning
         1.1.2. Administration
         1.1.3. Maintenance
    1.2. Management
         1.2.1 Network Management
         1.2.2 Network Element Management

Or something like it.

I've include the IETF Operations and Management ADs to this thread,
to give them the opportinity to add their comments.

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson