Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

From: "Niven-jenkins,B,Ben,DMF R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:31:44 +0100

As is mine.  The fact the MPLS-TP requirements document does not use the right term is an editing oversight on my behalf (a consequence of the submission deadline being when i was on holiday).

Will fix in the next revision.

Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Sent: 10/07/2008 20:10
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

My understanding jibes with Kam's email. 

Cheers,
Andy 

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>; MEAD team <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu Jul 10 13:33:26 2008
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

Loa,

Glad that this is brought up for discussion. We should have a unified
use of the acronym OAM. 

For information, traditionally in telecom world, 
OAM stands for "Operations, Administration and Maintenance", also 
OAM&P stands for "Operations, Administration, Maintenance and
Provisioning" and have been defined in the Telecom Glossary (ANSI
T1.523-2001) and used in the titles of many ANSI standards for years.

By the way, you might want to look at Section 4 of the MPLS-TP NM
Requirements draft draft-gray-mpls-tp-nm-req-00.txt. We describe the
distinction and relationship of vertical and horizontal OAM from a NM
management perspective.

Regards,
Kam  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Loa Andersson
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:20 PM
To: MEAD team
Subject: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

All,

this is a discussion we need and a decision we mast take.

1. The "A Framework for MPLS in Transport Networks"
    draft-blb-mpls-tp-framework-00, says:

"3.5. Operations and Management (OAM)..............8"

2. MPLS Generic Associated Channel
    draft-bocci-pwe3-mpls-tp-ge-ach-00.txt says:

"Operations and Maintenance (OAM)"

3. MPLS TP Network Management Requirements
    draft-gray-mpls-tp-nm-req-00.txt says:

"Operations and Maintenance (OAM)"

4.  MPLS-TP Requirements
     draft-jenkins-mpls-mpls-tp-requirements-00
- does not expand the acronym

5.  MPLS-TP OAM Analysis
     draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-analysis-01.txt says:

"OAM (Operations, Administration, and Maintenance)"

6. Multiprotocol Label Switching Transport Profile
    Survivability Framework
    draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-survive-fwk-00.txt:
  - does not expand the acronym

7. Assignment of the Generic Associated Channel Header Label (GAL)
    draft-vigoureux-mpls-tp-gal-00  says:

Operations and Management (OAM)

8. Requirements for OAM in MPLS Transport Networks
    draft-vigoureux-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-00 says:
"OAM (Operations and Management)"

There seems to be three different possible expansions (interpretations)
of the OAM acronym, I don't know which one is right, if any, but I'm
pretty sure that we can't have three different understandings of what
OAM means, with less than that we actually write something about why
we think we need all the three variants.

I also think that we should be explicit about what the acronym stands
for (expand it at the first occurance) in all the documents.

Anyone that has abetter understanding of this than I have?

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                            [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Mpls-interop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop
_______________________________________________
Mpls-interop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop
_______________________________________________
Mpls-interop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop

---

From: "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:23:39 +0200

Naturally I support this as well (Operations, Administration, and
Maintenance). 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext
Niven-jenkins,B,Ben,DMF R
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 22:32
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

As is mine.  The fact the MPLS-TP requirements document does not use the
right term is an editing oversight on my behalf (a consequence of the
submission deadline being when i was on holiday).

Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Sent: 10/07/2008 20:10
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

Cheers,
Andy 

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>; MEAD team <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu Jul 10 13:33:26 2008
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] 3 x OAM or I'm getting cross eyed

Loa,

For information, traditionally in telecom world, OAM stands for
"Operations, Administration and Maintenance", also OAM&P stands for
"Operations, Administration, Maintenance and Provisioning" and have been
defined in the Telecom Glossary (ANSI
T1.523-2001) and used in the titles of many ANSI standards for years.

Regards,
Kam  

-----Original Message-----

All,

4.  MPLS-TP Requirements

5.  MPLS-TP OAM Analysis

There seems to be three different possible expansions (interpretations)
of the OAM acronym, I don't know which one is right, if any, but I'm
pretty sure that we can't have three different understandings of what
OAM means, with less than that we actually write something about why we
think we need all the three variants.

/Loa

--
Loa Andersson