Subject: [Mpls-interop] way forward for the ring protection discussion

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:41:16 +0200

All,

we have discussed "ring protection" back and forth within the
MPLS-TP effort. We very often fail to communicate between the
two sides.

My take is that there are two views on this, very simplified the
two views could like this:

The first view says - MPLS-TP is a transport profile of MPLS and
will be used to build transport networks. Rings has always been
used in transport networks and has a natural place in MPLS-TP
also.

The second view says - MPLS-TP is a transport profile of MPLS and
is basically a packet network. Rings fits awkwardly into packet
network and the mechanisms we have in MPLS more than meets the
protection requirements we've seen.

My suggestion is that we form a small group to look into and sort
the requirements, and identify to which topology they apply.

E.g.:

1) Identify the topologies in scope

2) Identify generic protection requirements - i.e. requirements
   that apply to all topologies.

3) Identify protection requirements that apply regardless of sub
   topology

4) Identify protection requirements that apply to ring topologies

As the requirements are assembled and categorized, they should

- documented in an existing or new requirement document
- be validated against existing mechanisms
- identify the needed solutions document

Note that this opens up the possibility to slightly change the
document structure we are working with. I would like to have a
first report from this group at the interim, and the requirements
documented by the IETF in Minneapolis

John Drake will lead this group.

Stewart, Igor, Adrian and Nurit will participate, as will two
representatives for the carrier that have said that they require
a specific ring protection for MPLS-TP. I've sent out the
invitation to two possible candidates, but have had no response
so far.

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                           [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Mpls-interop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop