Subject: [Mpls-interop] a few thoughts on MPLS and MPLS-TP OAM

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 15:08:47 +0200

All,

I've two questions on the union of the MPLS-TP requirements.

First, we say that

- that MPLS-TP uses the MPLS data plane unchanged (even though we
  allow for changes/extensions to the MPLS data plane, but only
  as an integrated part of the normal MPLS work)
- that MPLS-TP OAM functionality will work as soon as we have a
  MPLS data plane available, i.e. it does not *depend* on a
  control plane.

My conclusion here is that the OAM functionality defined for MPLS-TP
is also applicable to MPLS. Given some minor details as LSP merging and
PHP :) .

Second, I believe that we are to focused on declaring that MPLS-TP
OAM will work in the absence of a dynamic control plane.

My take on this is that we will have a system with an acceptable
operations and maintenance level, but that introducing a control
plane will improve on that situation, i.e. provisioning, operations
and maintenance are made simpler and more automated. This should be
reflected in our documents.

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                           [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Mpls-interop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop