Subject: [mpls-tp] discussion on ring protection in MPLS-TP

From: "D'Alessandro Alessandro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:07:07 +0200

Dear all,
I expressed interest in developing ring protection for MPLS-TP in ITU-T mailing lists.
As MPLS-TP is a joint activity between ITU-T and IETF I'd like renewing my interest about that topic in IETF as well.
I'm in favor of developing ring protection for MPLS-TP as it can be useful deployed in metro and metro-core areas where physical ring infrastructures are still widely used. My preferred approach is MPLS-TP over metro rings where networking is assured by MPLS-TP whilst Ethernet or other server layers are used as point-to-point technologies. MPLS-TP should keep traditional features/performance (e.g. 50ms switch time, revertive/non revertive mode) and it should be enhanced with Control Plane features.
As traffic characteristics are fast changing in the networks and in particular in metro networks (e.g. multicast traffic is getting an important share of total traffic), ring protection should be designed taking into account such characteristics.

Best regards,
Alessandro

------------------------------------------------------------------
Telecom Italia
Alessandro D'Alessandro
Transport & OPB Innovation
Via Reiss Romoli, 274 - 10148 Torino
phone:  +39 011 228 5887
mobile: +39 335 766 9607
fax: +39 06 418 639 07

--------------------------------------------------------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to [email-masked].

        Thank you

                                        www.telecomitalia.it

--------------------------------------------------------------------
                        
_______________________________________________
mpls-tp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-tp

---

From: "Nitin Bahadur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:08:31 -0700

I guess what you specifically want is protection for ring based
networks.
 
The solution does not necessarily have to be Sonet like ring protection.
As others have pointed out, 
MPLS FRR can provide protection.
 
So, I guess what we need is a clarification on the problem statement and
not a requirement 
for a *specific solution*.
 
Thanks
Nitin

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of D'Alessandro Alessandro
	Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 3:07 AM
	To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
	Subject: [mpls-tp] discussion on ring protection in MPLS-TP

	Dear all,

	I expressed interest in developing ring protection for MPLS-TP
in ITU-T mailing lists.

	As MPLS-TP is a joint activity between ITU-T and IETF I'd like
renewing my interest about that topic in IETF as well.

	I'm in favor of developing ring protection for MPLS-TP as it can
be useful deployed in metro and metro-core areas where physical ring
infrastructures are still widely used. My preferred approach is MPLS-TP
over metro rings where networking is assured by MPLS-TP whilst Ethernet
or other server layers are used as point-to-point technologies. MPLS-TP
should keep traditional features/performance (e.g. 50ms switch time,
revertive/non revertive mode) and it should be enhanced with Control
Plane features.

	As traffic characteristics are fast changing in the networks and
in particular in metro networks (e.g. multicast traffic is getting an
important share of total traffic), ring protection should be designed
taking into account such characteristics.

	Best regards,

	Alessandro

	mobile: +39 335 766 9607

	fax: +39 06 418 639 07

--------------------------------------------------------------------
	CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
	This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the
persons
	above and may contain confidential information. If you have
received
	the message in error, be informed that any use of the content
hereof
	is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and
delete
	the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by
	replying to [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> .
	        Thank you
	                                        www.telecomitalia.it
<http://www.telecomitalia.it>

---

From: Cao Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:56:10 +0800

Yes, I also think such clarification is necessary. 

IMHO, it is hard to say FRR can not satisfy the protection 
requirement in metro network.
It will be helpful if there are clear description why "specific
solution" is better than existing solutions.

Thanks.

Cao Wei
Huawei Technologies.

>for a *specific solution*.

Best regards,			
Cao Wei

---

From: Huub van Helvoort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:31:46 +0200

Hi Cao Wei,

> Yes, I also think such clarification is necessary. 

The most important now is to define the requirements for
MPLS-TP ring protection, e.g. at which layer, switch time
( < 50 ms), number of nodes in the ring, etc.

Because it is part of the MPLS-TP suite it should also
comply with the overall TP requirements.

Then we can look for a solution.

> requirement in metro network.

If the requirements are agreed, then we can find if existing
solutions match the requirements, or whether we need to adapt
existing solutions or define a new solution.

> solution" is better than existing solutions.

That is part of the analisys mentioned above.

Cheers, Huub.
-------------------------------------------------

-- 

================================================================
Always remember that you are unique...just like everyone else...
_______________________________________________
mpls-tp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-tp