Subject: [mpls-tp] MPLS-TP: profile or network?

From: "Attila Takacs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:14:32 +0200

Hi all,

It is not entirely clear to me how to interpret the "profile" in
MPLS-TP...maybe you can help!

My understanding is that we are adding functionalities to MPLS
fulfilling a set of transport requirements; the profile may correspond
to the capability of a node supporting the new functionalities; and the
configuration of the new and old functionalities for a transport
application.

If this profile is essentially a policy; a configuration of IP/MPLS
nodes, it seems to be possible to have MPLS-TP configured (if this has
any meaning) and IP/MPLS nodes in the same network operating in the same
layer. Is this a valid assumption?

Is there really something like an MPLS-TP configuration? What is it?

Is there something like an MPLS-TP network and/or MPLS-TP layer? What
would be the difference between an MPLS-TP layer and an IP/MPLS layer?
Is there any?

In another aspect, one may have "MPLS-TP LSPs" (e.g., with static setup
and transport OAM) and dynamic LDP LSPs in parallel in the same node,
network and layer. Is this allowed? 

Thanks and best regards,
Attila

_______________________________________________
mpls-tp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-tp

---

From: "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:23:25 +0200

Hi Attila,
These are good points... 
I think that in order to answer these questions in particular, and
addressing the interoperability issue in general, we need to understand
first the use-cases / network-scenarios where interoperability may be
required. 
Maybe SPs can better help us here in identifying these cases. Then it
will be easier to address it.
Dear SPs, can you please help here. 
Best regards,
Nurit

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of ext Attila Takacs
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 22:15
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [mpls-tp] MPLS-TP: profile or network?

Hi all,

Thanks and best regards,
Attila