Subject: [mpls-tp] ACH TLV alignment

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:14:11 +0100

Hi,

The inclusion of TLVs in ACH messages are defined in RFC 5586.

This says...

   Note that the
   Value field of ACH TLVs MAY contain sub-TLVs.  Note that no padding
   is required for individual TLVs or sub-TLVs.

As we work on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-gach-dcn we would like to check that 
everyone is happy with this.

That is, are we all OK that TLVs and sub-TLVs in ACH messages (typically 
handled in hardware) will not be 32-bit aligned.

Silence is, I think, consent in this instance since it will represent 
following the status quo.

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: Nitin Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:44:12 -0700

TLVs and sub-TLVs MUST be 32-bit aligned.

Nitin

On 7/25/09 6:14 AM, "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

This says...

   Note that the

Cheers,
Adrian

_______________________________________________
mpls-tp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-tp

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:01:12 +0100

I originally thought this but it was pointed out packets received
from an Ethernet do not preserve the 32bit alignment.

- Stewart

---

From: Nitin Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 16:35:52 -0700

But the TLV and sub-TLV by itself should have a 4-byte boundary size.

What I meant was that one should not allow a 5-byte sub-TLV. That Sub-tlv should
Be padded to 8-bytes.

Maybe that was not the intention of Adrian's question.

Nitin

On 7/25/09 2:01 PM, "Stewart Bryant" <[email-masked]> wrote:

- Stewart