Subject: Signalling protocol for I.ipatm

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:42:46 -0400

Folks -

The reason for my previous message is that the I.ipatm is an ITU
proposal which concerns MPLS.  It recommends that MPLS is the best way
to carry IP over ATM. It also mandates the exclusive use of CR-LDP
for traffic engineering.  I'd like to draw people's attention to this
so that they can voice their opinions.

...George

======================================================================
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (978) 244-8143
                     250 Apollo Drive
                     Chelmsford, Ma 01824

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:18:56 -0400

George,

	I appreciate your direct action on this.  I am
looking forward to the opportunity to read the proposed
recommendation.  More than anything else, I am curious
about how it is that a recommendation can 'mandate' any
thing...

---

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:07:37 -0400

The current draft recommends the use of CR-LDP instead of RSVP for signaling.
It doesn't explicitly use the word "mandate". There is also the question of 
how a recommendation can mandate anything.  A former high-level ITU person 
told me (when I made a similar comment about a different recommendation) 
that the ITU is a treaty organization.  So while it is not a "standard" in 
the sense of ETSI or T1, it does have ramifications in terms of GATT and 
other treaties.  Not to mention all the RFPs from telcos around the world 
it will appear in.

Those of you who work for ITU Sector Members should be able to get a copy 
of this from your ITU rep until we can get an official copy from SG13 that 
can be made public.  I wish it were otherwise.  If you have an ITU TIES 
account, you can get it from the SG13 home page 
(http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/com13/index.html) or at the URL below (This is 
password protected):
http://ties.itu.int/u/tsg13/sg13/wp2/q20/9906Turin/Result/Rec%20I-ipatm.doc

I.ipatm will be one of the topics discussed at the SG13 IP Experts meeting 
in Geneva the next two weeks.

Chip

> > so that they can voice their opinions.

--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.			
--------------------------------------------------