Subject: RE: Label Space

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:49:35 -0700

Per-interface label space means each interface of an LSR has its own label
space. Therefore different interfaces of an LSR can use exactly the same
label for different bindings. While per-platform label space means an entire
LSR uses only one label space. Therefore different interfaces of that LSR
can't use the same label, and a label must be used for only one unique
binding.

Now you may ask what is the use of per-platform label space. Consider two
peer LSRs non-directly connected to each other (e.g. connected via a
network), in this case the down stream LSR doesn't know in advance that from
which of its interfaces the labeled packets will arrive from upstream LSR.
Therefore assigning a unique label to a binding (per-platform label space)
can solve this problem.

Hope that helps.

Shahram Davari
PMC-Sierra Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Makarand Kulkarni (98307005) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: August 23, 1999 12:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Label Space

The mpls-ldp-05 draft (section 2.2.1) talks about 2 types of label spaces 
- per platform and per interface. But the difference isn't much clear to 
me. Can anyone please explain ?

Regards
Makarand

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
Makarand G Kulkarni                  | Ph.No. (+91-22)-578-1017Ext.5601,7414
Department of Electrical Engineering |                               8498 
IIT - Bombay                         | URL : http://wowsites2.com/makarand
Powai, Bombay 400 076, India         | Email: [email-masked] 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
SPANN LAB: Direct Line: (+91-22)-579-0651
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---