Subject: An LDP question

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:43:08 -0500

In the LDP document "draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-11.txt", there are two
different failure detection mechanisms.  One is the requirement for
periodic Hello messages, and the other is the requirement for periodic
KeepAlive messages in the TCP session.

What is the reason for requiring both of these mechanisms?  Either one
alone should be sufficient to detect failures.

For that matter, why not just use the TCP keepalive option and let
connections remain up until the TCP connection breaks?

If this has already been discussed in the past, a pointer to a document
or web page containing an explanation will be sufficient.

Thanks in advance.

-- David

---

From: Bob Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:15:23 -0500

> or web page containing an explanation will be sufficient.

This has been discussed in the past.  You could try wading through:

  http://cell.onecall.net/cell-relay/archives/mpls/mpls.index.html

Bob