Subject: MPLS over FDDI

From: Samantha Quadros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:22:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

I'm a graduate student in the ECE dept. at the
University of Arizona. I'm currently working with MPLS
and 802.1q as part of my Master's thesis. I have
simulated MPLS and 802.1q traffic over Ethernet and
now I'm trying to do the same over FDDI. I'm trying to
provide some performance benchmarks over the two
networks.

I'm a little confused though. I'm not sure where
exactly the MPLS label is inserted in the frame (on
Ethernet it is inserted between layer 2 and 3). I
haven't found any literature to guide me on that
aspect. If someone can point me to the documentation
or let me know exactly where the MPLS label is placed,
I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks
Samantha 

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices. 
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

---

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:25:51 -0800

Insert it between FDDI frame and IP header.

Bora

>>>>> "Samantha" == Samantha Quadros <[email-masked]> writes:

    Samantha> Hi everyone, I'm a graduate student in the ECE
    Samantha> dept. at the University of Arizona. I'm currently
    Samantha> working with MPLS and 802.1q as part of my
    Samantha> Master's thesis. I have simulated MPLS and 802.1q
    Samantha> traffic over Ethernet and now I'm trying to do the
    Samantha> same over FDDI. I'm trying to provide some
    Samantha> performance benchmarks over the two networks.

    Samantha> I'm a little confused though. I'm not sure where
    Samantha> exactly the MPLS label is inserted in the frame
    Samantha> (on Ethernet it is inserted between layer 2 and
    Samantha> 3). I haven't found any literature to guide me on
    Samantha> that aspect. If someone can point me to the
    Samantha> documentation or let me know exactly where the
    Samantha> MPLS label is placed, I'd appreciate it.

    Samantha> Thanks Samantha

    Samantha> __________________________________________________
    Samantha> Do You Yahoo!?  Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things
    Samantha> you want at great prices.
    Samantha> http://auctions.yahoo.com/