Subject: Re: Comments on martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls-00.txt

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:20:17 -0700

> 1. I believe that you have the option to buffer and reorder 
> packets to an extent if you want to guarantee in-order 
> delivery.

Yeah, I was aware of this, though I'd be interested in knowing 
how many folks could actually do it (I know if at least one :-)
My point was only that the wording makes it sound as if it 
*ensures* in order delivery -- it doesn't.  It only provides a
mechanism to detect out-of-order PDUs.

> 2. RSVP messaging can be used to determine the LSP MTU as 
> well (or configuration as a matter of fact)

Yeah, guess I should have mentioned this (and perhaps the draft 
as well) along with the LDP stuff.

-danny

---

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:37:55 -0800

Agreed, but the proposed mods that were mentioned earlier would
almost possibly ban buffering and ordering packets with the
sequence numbers altogether.

Bora

>>>>> "Danny" == Danny McPherson <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> 1. I believe that you have the option to buffer and
    >> reorder packets to an extent if you want to guarantee
    >> in-order delivery.

    Danny> Yeah, I was aware of this, though I'd be interested
    Danny> in knowing how many folks could actually do it (I
    Danny> know if at least one :-) My point was only that the
    Danny> wording makes it sound as if it *ensures* in order
    Danny> delivery -- it doesn't.  It only provides a mechanism
    Danny> to detect out-of-order PDUs.

    >> well (or configuration as a matter of fact)

    Danny> Yeah, guess I should have mentioned this (and perhaps
    Danny> the draft as well) along with the LDP stuff.

    Danny> -danny