Subject: RFC 3038 on VCID Notification for LDP

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:09:52 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3038

        Title:	    VCID Notification over ATM link for LDP
        Author(s):  K. Nagami, Y. Katsube, N. Demizu, H. Esaki,
                    P. Doolan 
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       January 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 39134
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-vcid-atm-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3038.txt

The Asynchronous Transfer Mode Label Switching Router (ATM-LSR) is one
of the major applications of label switching.  Because the ATM layer
labels (VPI and VCI) associated with a VC rewritten with new value at
every ATM switch nodes, it is not possible to use them to identify a
VC in label mapping messages.  The concept of Virtual Connection
Identifier (VCID) is introduced to solve this problem.  VCID has the
same value at both ends of a VC.  This document specifies the
procedures for the communication of VCID values between neighboring
ATM-LSRs that must occur in order to ensure this property.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.