Subject: RE: MPLS Label Space

From: Saurabh Shrivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:59:14 -0800

per platform label space will be used for
protection switching.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 2/11/01 6:08 AM
Subject: MPLS Label Space

Hi all,
 
Sorry for asking simple question.
 
Why is there 2 label spaces for a LSR? Isn't the per interface label
space cover most of the cases? Why do we need the per platform space?
Could someone illustrate it with an example?
 
Would a Ru and a Rd connect by several links one of the examples?
 
Thanks very much.
 
Wayne

---

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:57:20 -0800

It can also be used for LSPs established via targeted LDP.

>>>>> "Saurabh" == Saurabh Shrivastava <[email-masked]> writes:

    Saurabh> per platform label space will be used for
    Saurabh> protection switching.

    Saurabh> -----Original Message----- From: Wayne To:
    Saurabh> [email-masked] Sent: 2/11/01 6:08 AM Subject: MPLS
    Saurabh> Label Space

    Saurabh> Hi all,
  
    Saurabh> Sorry for asking simple question.
  
    Saurabh> Why is there 2 label spaces for a LSR? Isn't the
    Saurabh> per interface label space cover most of the cases?
    Saurabh> Why do we need the per platform space?  Could
    Saurabh> someone illustrate it with an example?
  
    Saurabh> Would a Ru and a Rd connect by several links one of
    Saurabh> the examples?
  
    Saurabh> Thanks very much.
  
    Saurabh> Wayne

    Saurabh> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
    Saurabh> <HTML> <HEAD>

    Saurabh> <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server
    Saurabh> version 5.5.2653.12"> <TITLE>RE: MPLS Label
    Saurabh> Space</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY>

    Saurabh> <P><FONT SIZE=2>per platform label space will be
    Saurabh> used for</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>protection
    Saurabh> switching.</FONT> </P>

    Saurabh> <P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>
    Saurabh> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Wayne</FONT> <BR><FONT
    Saurabh> SIZE=2>To: [email-masked]</FONT> <BR><FONT
    Saurabh> SIZE=2>Sent: 2/11/01 6:08 AM</FONT> <BR><FONT
    Saurabh> SIZE=2>Subject: MPLS Label Space</FONT> </P>

    Saurabh> <P><FONT SIZE=2>Hi all,</FONT> <BR><FONT
    Saurabh> SIZE=2>&nbsp;</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sorry for
    Saurabh> asking simple question.</FONT> <BR><FONT
    Saurabh> SIZE=2>&nbsp;</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>Why is there
    Saurabh> 2 label spaces for a LSR? Isn't the per interface
    Saurabh> label</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>space cover most of
    Saurabh> the cases? Why do we need the per platform
    Saurabh> space?</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>Could someone
    Saurabh> illustrate it with an example?</FONT> <BR><FONT
    Saurabh> SIZE=2>&nbsp;</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>Would a Ru
    Saurabh> and a Rd connect by several links one of the
    Saurabh> examples?</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;</FONT>
    Saurabh> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>Thanks very much.</FONT> <BR><FONT
    Saurabh> SIZE=2>&nbsp;</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>Wayne</FONT>
    Saurabh> </P>

    Saurabh> </BODY>
    Saurabh> </HTML>

---

From: "Wayne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:39:45 +0800

One more example I found in the LDP spec is that an Ethernet interface also
use per platform label space. Because it is not having any link identifier.
But I wonder if a VLAN tagged interface can use per interface label space.

Wayne

Another situation would be where the LSR had two
   links to the peer, one of which is ethernet (and uses per platform
   labels) and the other of which is ATM.