Subject: draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:11:44 -0500

Hi,

	FYI a new MIB for managing SONET/SDH Circuit Emulation
Service Over MPLS has been posted. It should be available
shortly via the IETF's web site. In the meantime, it is available
at the following web/ftp link. As usual, comments are welcome.

ftp://[email-masked]/ftp/tnadeau/draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt

	--Tom

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:07:51 -0500

Please note that this MIB is based on draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-02.txt, 
for which comments are also solicited.

URL: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-02.txt

Thanks,
Andy

---------

---

From: Jim Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:24:16 -0700 (MST)

pretend you are a service provider, a customer calls in and says he's
seeing errors on his service (in particular, bip violalations in POH). 

He is directly connected to your network via port A.
On the far end, he connects to a clec, which hands it off to you at port
Z.  He connects to a CLEC adm on port Z'.  His path terminating equipment
(maybe a router) is port Ac, and Zc, such that the service looks like:

Ac-A-[IP]-Z-CLEC-Z'-Zc

Looking at lines Ac-A and Z-CLEC shows clean lines.

How does the operator determine if his IP network is to blame, or the
CLECs network is to blame?

i'd recomend a few things:

o) Andy's draft should have some sort of way to determine if there are bit
errors hapenning across the IP network that affect the service
payload.  This would provide the same sort of delineation of where a
problem is occuring by looking at LOHs in more traditional transport
network.

o) your mib should include analogues to the SONET mib, such as bip-8
violations, errored seconds, etc... (working off memory here).

o) addition of a "reason for last down" might be nice.

This way, when you, as the service provider, replies that "it's not our
problem, must be the clec", they can say at least go look at it later to
see if they were telling the truth.

As usual, excellent attention paid to the configuration aspects.

regards,

Jim

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:19:55 -0500

>As usual, excellent attention paid to the configuration aspects.

         Jim, these are all good recommendations. I will speak with
Andy about these issues and will make the additions you recommend
to the MIB after going over them with the other co-authors.

         Thanks for the input.

         --Tom