Subject: RE: PHP negotiation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:46:04 -0000

Eric asked:> 
> Actually, I  wonder if the  OAM stuff falls  under the 
> charter of  the CCAMP
> group rather than the MPLS group.
NH=> Not really Eric....OAM is required for both the control-plane (its not
called OAM here, but what do you think things like 'hellos', message
acknowldegements, etc, are doing?) and the user-plane.  All layer networks
need OAM to maintain their health.  Its just in some technologies, like
SDH/Sonet and IP, OAM has already been addressed (in IP its ICMP).....I am
assuming here that you do understand why OAM is important to carriers?  In
MPLS (user-plane) it hasn't been addressed as yet.  So one can't simply
equate CCAMPS and OAM.

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:06:16 -0500

Neil> in  some technologies,  like SDH/Sonet  and IP,  OAM has  already been
Neil> addressed (in IP its ICMP)

I believe  that ICMP Echo  Request/Response already works in  MPLS networks,
even with PHP.