Subject: ID on MPLS security

From: "Michael H. Behringer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:30:17 +0100

Hi,

I have written up some analysis of the security of MPLS versus
"traditional" VPN technologies such as ATM and FR. I would appreciate
some feedback on this.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-behringer-mpls-security-00.txt

Thanks,
Michael

---

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-behringer-mpls-security-00.txt
Date: 27 Feb 2001 05:00:05 -0800
From: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

         Title           : Analysis of the Security of the MPLS Architecture
         Author(s)       : M. Behringer
         Filename        : draft-behringer-mpls-security-00.txt
         Pages           : 12
         Date            : 26-Feb-01

This document analyses the security of the MPLS architecture, especially
in comparison with other VPN technologies such as ATM and Frame Relay. The
target audience is service providers and VPN users. The document consists of
two main parts: First the requirements for security in VPN services are
defined, second MPLS is examined with respect to these requirements.
The analysis shows that MPLS networks can be equally secured as traditional
layer-2 networks such as ATM and Frame Relay.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-behringer-mpls-security-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
         "get draft-behringer-mpls-security-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
         [email-masked].
In the body type:
         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-behringer-mpls-security-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
         how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

     ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>
--
Michael H. Behringer - Cisco EMEA SP Consulting - [email-masked]
                        Tel: +34.91.2012606 - Mobile: +34.639.659822

PGP Fingerprint: 28DA C9BE D259 5437  77F8 5ED1 2EE8 D4DB