Subject: Re: Expanded ERO draft

From: Vijay Gill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:20:38 -0500

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Kireeti Kompella wrote:

> As Yakov said, no concrete reason for adding the router ID has been
> given.  However, we've wasted enough time and bandwidth.  Let's put
> this to vote:
>
> Who all think that adding a router ID to the unnumbered ERO subobject
> would be beneficial?  A simple yes, no or don't care, please.

I would listen to what the people who are implementing this have to say on
the subject. I particularly don't care about the bandwidth/extra bytes
argument, but as a service provider, I do care that the people who are
implementing this do this in the simplest way possible. It makes for
robust code and I like robust code because getting up in the AM really
really annoys me.

So my vote ranking system would go like this ;)

People who are writing this code (developers): 10x
People who are the protocol architects: 2x
Other people: 1x

Lets hear it from the implementors:

thank you

/vijay

---

From: Rahul Aggarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 08:52:55 -0800

This is coming from a developer : )

I was in favor of adding a router id to the unnumbered ERO subobject
when the subject was discussed on the list a while back. Its cleaner
to implement. 

At the same time I think most of the information in the expanded ERO
draft is redundant. An informational doc on the current usage
will be of more value than adding new objects all over the
place. Some rewording in the RSVP-TE draft will also help.

Its a yes to adding a router id to the unnumbered ERO subobject.

thanks,
rahul

---

From: Yangguang Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:01:30 -0500

Exactly what I think it should be.

Yangguang

---

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:59:08 -0800

We ( I partially and a few others) implemented this and this why we 
wrote the draft.

We think it makes implementation easier by removing an abstract node 
lookup and by removing any assumptions on what gets processed when: 
E.g unnumbered interfaces always refer to the egress interface coming 
out of the router.

I did not co-author this draft just for the sake of writing an internet draft.

Bora