Subject: Questions on LSR-MIB <draft-ietf-mpls-lsr-mib-07.txt>

From: "Rao Vadlamani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:12:56 -0500

Hello,

I have a few questions on the latest draft
<draft-ietf-mpls-lsr-mib-07.txt>

1) I did not understand the significance of the textual convention
StorageType and usage of it for objects like
mplsInterfaceConfStorageType etc., The description just says the the
storage type for the entry. Could this be elaborated further ?

2) mplsIntefaceLabelParticipationType - The description is not clear
esp., the last sentence, which says "If only the perPlatform(0) bit is
set, then the value of        mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn,
mplsInterfaceLabelMaxIn,        mplsInterfaceLabelMinOut, and
mplsInterfaceLabelMaxOut for this entry must be
identical to the instance of these objects with index 0."

It is not clear. Could this be explained further ?

Thanks
Rao

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:28:46 -0500

>storage type for the entry. Could this be elaborated further ?

         They are now required on all writable objects
in standard MIBs. They are intended to be used to indicate
how the agent will treat the particular object (i.e.: will
it automatically restore the saved value upon reboot from
NVRAM, etc...)

>It is not clear. Could this be explained further ?

         What this is saying is that if interface index = 0 is
configured, then this interface should be used to configure/indicate
the per-platform label ranges. However, some implementations
wanted to put this information on each interface instead of
using a single interface to configure everything. The text is
explaining that if you use interface index = 0, that the
corresponding label ranges on those interfaces which are using
labels from the per platform label space should have consistent
(i.e.: the same) ranges as interface index = 0.

         --Tom