Subject: layer 3 switch isn't support WAN?

From: zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:53:10 +0800

hi,
	I have read a comparison between  layer 3 switch Vs traditonal router as follow:
  Characteristic     		Layer 3    		Switch Legacy Router 
-------------------------------------------------------------- 
Routes core LAN protocols: 
 IP, IPX, AppleTalk 		Yes 			Yes 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Subnet definition 			Layer 2 		switch domain Port 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarding architecture 	Hardware 		Software 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarding performance 		High 			Low 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Policy performance 			High 			Low 
---------------------------------------------------------------
WAN support 				No 				Yes 

I am not clear about why layer 3 switch is not support WAN,
could you give more explanation ?

---

From: zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:24:28 +0800

>Could you pls tell me where did you read this 
>& if possible the same document also 
>
>John
http://www.3com.com/technology/tech_net/white_papers/500660.html
Table 2

>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: zhou [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 6:53 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: layer 3 switch isn't support WAN?
>
>
>hi,

                    致
礼！

            zhou
            [email-masked]