Subject: RE: draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt

From: Vijay Gill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:47:39 -0500

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Dave Danenberg wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Thanx for your input. It sounds like you'd like to see the same sort of
> statistical information from the emulated SONET that folks are
> accustomed to seeing from SONET networking equipment. I like that too
> (from years of developing telecomm equipment for service providers).

I am slow on the uptake here, but excuse me if I'm getting this wrong:
there are people who are trying to implement SONET private line over
asynchronous IP transport (including MPLS)?

From talking with people who were implementing Private Line at the
DS-1/DS-3 level over OC-12 trunked ATM switches, and hearing about the
problems they encountered, I am not sure if this is something worth
spending time on.

MPLS barely functions as an adequate traffic engineering tool, lets get
that right before we go off trying to stuff everything under the sun into
MPLS. More stuff you add, the more resources you spend implementing new
features instead of trying to fix bugs, and more stuff there is to break.

Of course this has no technical content germane to the discussion, these
are some thoughts from someone who has to run and support this mess.

thank you

/vijay

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:53:29 -0500

>problems they encountered, I am not sure if this is something worth

         Perhaps you could fill us in on those inadequacies?

>MPLS barely functions as an adequate traffic engineering tool,

         I think that is necessarily true. I know of several
very successful deployments.

         --Tom

>lets get

---

From: Vijay Gill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 00:51:01 -0500

>          Perhaps you could fill us in on those inadequacies?

Actually, what the hell was I thinking... Must have been the late hour.
Emululating SONET/SDH over mpls is something that has been long overdue. I
am are eagerly awaiting delivery of this service.

I apologise for wasting valuable time of the WG.

/vijay