Subject: FW: Questions on GMPLS-02.txt

From: "Sharma, Prem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:26:57 -0800

Hi,

   The following paragraph is from
draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-signaling-02.txt.

   ...
   Note that since the nodes sending and receiving the new form of label
   know what kinds of link they are using, the generalized label does
   not contain a type field, instead the nodes are expected to know from
   context what type of label to expect.
   ...

   I'm not clear how the label type would be inferred if the link id or
label
   type field is not provided when we have the scenario of two hybrid nodes
   connected together. By hybrid nodes, I mean the followings:
    
     * The nodes have K no. of fibers between them.
     * Each fiber carries L no. of wavelengths.
     * Some of the wavelengths are SDH/SONET (TDM) switched and
       the others are lambda (or wavelength) switched.
     * The control channel (for GMPLS control signalling) is OOB/OOF 
       (Out of Band/Out of fiber)[Referring to LMP]. 

   Besides this, I have one comment. Though the GMPLS Func. Desc. draft
specifies
   the format of waveband labels, but the companion documents, like
architecture
   document, don't specify in what all scenarios such labels are going to be
   used/granted. IMO, it leaves a lot to assume.

   Pls. help and correct me if something has been overlooked.

Thanks in advance.
Prem