Subject: SLA

From: Fabris Sergio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:34:09 -0300

Is SLA (Service Level Agreement) a term for DiffServ networks only?
Can it be used in an MPLS network?

Thanks.

Sergio.

---

From: Christian Kuhtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:44:45 -0400

> Can it be used in an MPLS network?

Sergio,

You can define an SLA for literally anything, including the performance of
your dry cleaner.  

And an MPLS network can be a 'DiffServ network'; I presume you intend to 
describe a network in which differentiated services of some kind are 
offered...

SLA per se has nothing to do with differentiated services, other than that 
differentiated services with methods and tools as proposed by IETF DiffServ 
can be used to provide a service as described by an SLA.  Note also that many 
SLAs actually have little to do with a direct link to the technology
underneath; it is possible that the service you purchase w/ SLA is identical 
to the service you purchase w/out SLA, or the service w/ SLA may be very 
different than the one w/out SLA.  An SLA can be a marketing gimmick,  a 
financial tool, a technology constraint, or any combination of the above.

The term SLA is a very much abused term, often driven more by marketecture and
marketeering than technology.  And then there's the set of issues around SLA's 
with teeth..

But, I'm rambling..  What specifically are you looking for?

Cheers,
Chris

-- 
Christian Kuhtz <[email-masked]> -wk, <[email-masked]> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.
"I speak for myself only.""