Subject: RSVP Qos Objects - how does MPLS/TE use them

From: Anouk Rocher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:06:46 -0400

Hi,

Running through many MPLS RFCs/drafts and trying to co-relate them
with the base RSVP spec in RFC 2205 (and 2210), I can 't seem to find
a clear statement anywhere on how RSVP objects are used for the
purposes of MPLS based Traffic Engineering.

Is it the case that the ingress node trying to set-up an LSP
encodes the bandwidth it needs for that LSP, INTSERV style by
filling out the Sender Tspec? Are all the fields 
"Token Bucket Rate", "Token Bucket Size", "Peak Data Rate",
"Minimum Policed Unit" and "Maximum Packet Size" needed? Or is it
safe to just specify the bandwith needed as "Peak Data Rate".

Are any of the other objects like ADSPEC and RSPEC needed for 
Traffic engineering (beyond basic conformance needs for RSVP to
function properly)?

Can one of the authors of draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel
(Vijay, Lou, ??) clarify this?

Many thanks.
Anouk

________________________________________________
Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag