Subject: Control driven vs. data driven

From: "Bryan W" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:21:20

Hi,

Can someone give me definitions and examples of control driven vs data 
driven label bindings?  Thanks,

Bryan
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:18:48 -0500

Bryan -
Control-driven:

In the control-driven model, label bindings are created when control
information is received by an MPLS-enabled node. Labels are assigned in
response to the standard processing of routing protocol data, control data
(i.e. RSVP), or in response to static configuration via the network
admin/off-line tool. Labels are assigned and distributed before the arrival
of user data flows, thus user data can be label swapped immediately upon
arrival.

Data-driven:

The data-driven model is currently not supported by MPLS. In the data-driven
model, label bindings are created when user data packets are received by an
MPLS-enabled node. A MPLS-enabled node can either create a label binding as
soon as it sees the first packet in a user data flow or wait until it has
seen a specified number of packets in the particular flow.

I hope this helps.

---

From: "Larry Khirallah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:08:52 -0400

data driven label bindings are created when some threshold of packet flow is
reached
(i.e. when a certain pre-defined amount of packets of the same flow are
received)
 a better name might have been data LOAD driven

control driven is irrespective of load

 hope this helps...

   larry k

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bryan W [mailto:[email-masked]]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> -------
> The MPLS-OPS Mailing List
> Subscribe/Unsubscribe:  http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsops.shtml
> Archive: http://www.mplsrc.com/mpls-ops_archive.shtml
>