Subject: Session Attribute,.. why optional?

From: Madhusudhan M <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:29:37 +0530

Hi 

  According to RFC 2702,..Requirements of Traffic Engineering over MPLS,...
  in section 5.4... clearly mentions about the Basic Traffic Engineering Attributes of Traffic Trunks which include 

      - Traffic parameter attributes

	  - Generic Path selection and maintenance attributes

      - Priority attribute

	  - Preemption attribute

	  - Resilience attribute

	  - Policing  attribute

	  Resource Class Affinity attributes are very much important to specify the class of resource which 
	  are to be explicitly included or excluded from the path of the traffic trunk.( Section 5.6.3 of RFC 2702)
	  But if u coinsider the Session Attribute Object which contains the Resource Affinity object present
	  in RSVP-TE protocol which is mainly to satisfy the above requirement of the Traffic Engineering is 
	  an OPTIONAL Object.
	  I feel when RSVP-TE is designed to support Traffic Enginnering for MPLS, Session Attribute should be
	  a MANDATORY object which has to be considered while setting up the TUNNEL.
      Section 5.6.3 clearly states the importance of Resource Affinity Attributes which act as policy 
	  attributes which as defined in Section 5.4 come under basic TE Attributes of Traffic Trunks which 
	  can be used to impose additional constraints on the path traversed by a given traffic trunk.

	  Please correct me if i am wrong.....

-- 
Madhusudhan
----------------
Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.