Subject: RSVP message sequence

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:45:09 -0400

Hi,

I found that some switch sent out Path message not following the sequence
of the message format in the spec, I was wondering if rsvp message has to
follow the sequence of the spec or not.

Thanks in an advance.

Julia

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:26:06 -0400

Hong Liao wrote:
> 
> I found that some switch sent out Path message not following the
> sequence of the message format in the spec, I was wondering if rsvp
> message has to follow the sequence of the spec or not.

Be liberal in what you accept.  Be conservative in what you send.

RFC 2205 describes certain specific ordering requirements.  Anything
that is different from the BNF, but not in violation of the stated
ordering requirements should be accepted.  Anything that violates the
stated ordering requirements should be rejected.

When your router generates the corresponding Path message, however, you
should send out the objects in the recommended order.

-- David