Subject: RE: draft-pan-lsp-ping-00.txt discussion

From: "Mina Azad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:27:54 -0400

The discussion on draft-pan-lsp-ping-00.txt has been a lengthy but very
fruitful - as it surfaced a number of underlying requirements.
Unfortunately, the discussion lost the sight of basic issues: generality,
framework, and ownership.

Generality: The draft has a narrow focus (RSVP specific, requires a healthy
control-plane, ...). There are now two general true user-plane solutions in
front of IETF: draft-azad-mpls-oam-messaging-00.txt that proposes use of
user-plane probe & loopback mechanism, and draft-harrison-mpls-oam-00.txt
that proposes continuity verification.

Framework: draft-allan-mpls-oam-frmwk-00.txt provides a discussion on OAM
issues, and proposes a multi-operational domain framework. 

Ownership: Big question or a challenge?! Which working group will own MPLS
user-plane OAM? 

Regards,

Mina Azad

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:26:42 -0700

Mina,

> framework, and ownership.

There is a difference of opinions on whether such issues as
framework and ownership are "basic issues" - an alternative opinion
is that these are irrelevant issues. 

> that proposes continuity verification.

It is certainly correct that the solution described in
draft-pan-lsp-ping-00.txt is RSVP specific, and it does require a
healthy control-plane.  Therefore, this solution is certainly
disqualified from being a LTSFGTC (Long Term Solutions For Generations
To Come).

At the same time, IMHO the efforts of the folks who are pursuing
the LTSFGTC should not *in any way* be disrupted/disturbed by
any solution that has "a narrow focus" (like the one described in
draft-pan-lsp-ping-00.txt). The work on the LTSFGTC should continue
unabated.

> issues, and proposes a multi-operational domain framework. 

Are there any plans to coordinate the work on the framework with
other standard-making bodies, like ITU-T, ATM Forum, etc... ?

> Ownership: Big question or a challenge?! Which working group will own MPLS

How about starting a new Working Group ? Then this working group
would own all the OAM-related activities.

Yakov.