Subject: Do MPLS core devices have to implement IP?

From: "Torsten Mueller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:55:42 +0200

Do MPLS core devices have to implement IP?
RFC 3031 states:
 -  MPLS forwarding can be done by switches which are capable of
         doing label lookup and replacement, but are either not capable
         of analyzing the network layer headers, or are not capable of
         analyzing the network layer headers at adequate speed.

While this means that MPLS nodes do not have to implement IP at the
forwarding plane, do these switches have to implement IP at the control
plane
(and the standard label distribution protocols)?
Or is it also possible to distribute the labels by management procedures
to be compliant to the MPLS standards?

Thanks,
Torsten

---

From: "Vipul Sharma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:27:08 -0400

In the control plane the MPLS Core device has to implement IP for supporting
Label Distribution using standard sig. protocol... RSVP (needs IP) and
CR-LDP needs TCP. This is a hughe req. for interoperability and most people
demand it of their vendors.
Theoretically, one can hand craft the labels in a small network and push
them using "management procedures" and NOT depend on label dist. prot. But
this will be a hard sell to any of your potential customer.

Vip Sharma
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
240-314-0120 ext. 214

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Torsten
Mueller
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 9:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Do MPLS core devices have to implement IP?

Thanks,
Torsten

---

From: "Vipul Sharma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:46:59 -0400

Just to add a little bit more... If you look at vendors who are supporting
MPLS.. Their docs. say which RFCs and IETF draft they are compliant to. So
theoretically you can say your are compliant to drafts/RFC excluding those
dealing with Label Distribution Prots (if your cust. are OK with it).
All the interop. labs though do conduct interop. tests for RSVP, CR-LDP,
LDP, BGP-4, etc..

Vip Sharma
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Vipul
Sharma
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 10:27 AM
To: 'Torsten Mueller'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Do MPLS core devices have to implement IP?

Vip Sharma
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----

Thanks,
Torsten

---

From: Hans Sjostrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:47:29 +0200

MPLS forwarding could be done by a device unable to do much else, in 
fact that was a few of the first implementations was made and it's also 
I think how a few of the GMPLS implementations today are done. An OXC
shouldn't have to terminate any wavelenght, just switch them. 

You use GSMP to separate the MPLS userplane (forwarding) from the 
MPLS control plane (signalling). Now you could MPLS (or GMPLS) enable
your old (or new) switch without putting in neither IP or MPLS protocools
in it. You just add a GSMP agent to the switch. You let the GSMP controller
do all the protocool stuff. 

Check out the GSMP WG if this interests you. 

Regards
/// Hasse 

> Sent: den 5 juli 2001 15:56
> To: [email-masked]