Subject: Re:

From: "Gangadharan Ramakrishnan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:42:47 +0000

Hi,

I'm new to this MPLS domain. I have a question on MPLS Arch (rfc3031). I 
think, may be some one else might have asked this question earlier. Well, 
the question is,

Why the bindings are assigned by the downstream LSR and why not the upstream 
LSR? What makes the architecture to expect aggsinement and distribution of 
label bindings from downstream to upstream not the other way?

Thanks in advance....

Cheers,
ganges....

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

---

From: "Gopal@Cisco" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:18:14 -0700

Ganges,
prefix-X------Rd--------Ru--

Data packets flow from upstream to downstream towards the destination.
Ru will use the label distributed by Rd to impose/insert/swap into the
data packet. Rd will take the forwarding decision based on the label it
looks in the data packet.
So it is necessary for Ru to use the label distributed by Rd for proper
transmission.
"> Why the bindings are assigned by the downstream LSR"--> i believe you
meant labels are assigned.....

" What makes the architecture to expect aggsinement and distribution of
> label bindings from downstream to upstream not the other way?"
> 
Label distribution can happen bothways(depending on distribution
methods: unsolicited or ondemand). However, label assignement depends on
the routing table. Ru's routing table point to Rd as the next-hop for
prefix-X. Hence Ru will use the label distributed by Rd while forwarding
data to preix X. however Rd's routing entry to prefix-X will not point
to Ru as the next-hop. Hence Rd will not use the label distributed by Ru
for prefix X.

rgds,
gopal

-- 
Gopal(www-tac/~gnaganab),CCIE#6209,1.408.525.9922,RP-TAC,9:00AM-5:00PM(PST)
TAC Tools/Doc's:    http://www.cisco.com/tac/
TAC Top Issues:     http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/support/top_issues/
Attach your email to a case: [email-masked] , keep the case# in
'Subject'

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:07:36 -0400

Ganges,

    At this point, 'because' would be more than sufficient reason.

    Think about the reason why you would want to use MPLS labels.  What
is an implementor likely to want to use an incoming label for?  How would
that work if the receiver doesn't get to pick the label?

--
Eric Gray