Subject: RE: RSVP Hello

From: "Sanford, Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:37:55 -0400

>>manoj juneja wrote:
>> 
>>          The RSVP-TE draft states that the RSVP Hellos should be
>> transmitted when there is a RSVP state between the neighbors i.e.
>> when there is Path/Resv state. In other words, if there is a RSVP
>> session between two nodes then the RSVP hellos need to be exchanged.
>> If the RSVP session is to be released (i.e. graceful termination),
>> does this mean that RSVP hellos should not be exchanged between the
>> RSVP neighbors as long as there is no RSVP session between them ?
>
>I don't think anything in there prohibits the exchange of Hello messages
>in the absence of established Path/Resv state.  But it's not very
>useful, either - since any detected failures will not result in changing
>any state.
>
>-- David

David, wouldn't the lack of information from the absence if the RSVP LSP
establishment almost guarantee that the RSVP Hellos can't be sent?

Bill

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:45:57 -0400

"Sanford, Bill" wrote:
> 
> David, wouldn't the lack of information from the absence if the
> RSVP LSP establishment almost guarantee that the RSVP Hellos can't
> be sent?

Why?  All you need to send Hellos is a destination address and an
interface.  If you have a point to point link, then you know your
neighbor's address - either from configuration or from routing
protocols.

If the interface is a broadcast-type interface, then you would obviously
need some other mechanism to learn the neighbor address(es).  If you
know them, however, there is no reason why you couldn't send Hellos as
well.

-- David