Subject: Re:

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:45:13 -0400

>>>>Be sure, however, that the rest of the packet actually is correct.  If
you took the binary data from a valid Path message and just changed the
C-Type field and nothing else, then the RSVP checksum will be invalid.
An invalid checksum will cause the router to drop the message without
generating any errors.

[]  But even that is the case,  --bad checksum, the Router should send back
the path error msg with error code 23.

----------   spec 2205.
 Error Code = 23: RSVP System error

o    Wrong-length message: RSVP Length field does not match message
        length.

   o    Unknown or unsupported RSVP version.

   o    Bad RSVP checksum

   o    INTEGRITY failure

Julia

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:44:56 -0400

Hong Liao wrote:
> 
> []  But even that is the case,  --bad checksum, the Router should
> send back the path error msg with error code 23.
> 
> ----------   spec 2205.

You deleted four paragraphs of text between the line "Error Code = 23"
and the list of conditions.  Among other things, those four paragraphs
contain:

	... Should a programming error allow an RSVP to create a
	malformed message, the error is not generally reported to
	end systems in an ERROR_SPEC object; instead, the error is
	simply logged locally, and perhaps reported through network
	management mechanisms.

	The only message formatting errors that are reported to end
	systems are those that may reflect version mismatches, and
	which the end system might be able to circumvent, e.g., by
	falling back to a previous CType for an object; see code 13
	and 14 above.

	The choice of message formatting errors that an RSVP may
	detect and log locally is implementation-specific, but it
	will typically include the following:

	...  (list of conditions)

The RFC explicitly states that conditions like wrong-length message,
unknown RSVP version, bad checksum and INTEGRITY failure do _NOT_ cause
the generation of error messages.  The packets are dropped.  The error
condition may be logged or reported through network management.

-- David