Subject: A question on optical path establishment wrt overlay model

From: Chrysostomos Tziouvaras <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:17:50 +0300 (EET DST)

Hi all,
I would like to ask you the following question:
in the overlay model, if a client network that is attached to an optical
network asks for an optical path, how can it specify that this path must
be
exclusively used by it and no other client network that is attached to the
same edge device of the client network?

Regards
Tziouvaras Chrysostomos
ICS-FORTH Researcher

---

From: "Pin-Han Ho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:04:43 -0700

In terms of Overlay model, signaling is exchanged in the upper client layer
and transportation layer separately. An interface is defined between the
client layer and the transportation layer below, in order to achieve the
control and management efforts.

     The client network can not know the dynamic traffic condition in the
optical domain, however, the interface is equipped with some primitives for
the clients so that they can submit SLAs to the optical networks, or inquery
some of the traffic information if it is allowed. The overlay model is
designed for protecting the public transportation layer shared by hundreds
or thousands of clients.

     Clients do not have to know the exactly lightpaths they are taking,
since the control plane in the optical domain takes it over.

Pin-Han

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chrysostomos Tziouvaras" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 5:17 AM
Subject: [IP-Optical] A question on optical path establishment wrt overlay
model

Hi all,

Regards
Tziouvaras Chrysostomos
ICS-FORTH Researcher