Subject: RE: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-rsvp-te-restart-01.txt]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:12:56 +0100

Ping Pan replied 15 August 2001 14:34
> > Can you please explain (i) what causes such RSVP nodal 
> re-starts in the 1st
> > place 

> The same cause why routing engine may fail in the network, while data
> forwarding is fine. The graceful restart technique is not 
> new, as being
> define for IGP and BGP already.
> 
> > and (ii) how frequently you see them per reason (I assume 
> they must be
> > of some concern to have written this ID)?
> >
> 
> If you believe the data collected at
> http://www.merit.edu/ipma/instability/, network does run into instable
> conditions. Our draft is to localize the problem when that happens.
> 
Thanks Ping.....but when I looked at the site the topic is route-flaps.
Which I can understand for LDP stability, since this is dependent on IGP/BGP
stability.  But I failed to understand why you consider this the cause of
RSVP-TE restarts.  I would have thought other mechanisms would have been the
key cause, which are (RSVP) protocol specific....maybe error events taking
out 3 hello messages perhaps?  Can you clarify what I am missing here?

regards, Neil

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:43:31 -0700

> out 3 hello messages perhaps?  Can you clarify what I am missing here?

When a router times out a neighbor (hello messages), or the instance 
number in a neighbor's hello has changed, it means that the neighbor's 
control has restarted. If the data link is still up and running, the 
router and the neighbor can use the procedure defined in the draft to 
recover.

Hope this will help.

- Ping