Subject: RE: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-rsvp-te-restart-01.txt]

From: John Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:06:13 -0700

Actually, Ping uses the soft state nature of RSVP to rebuild control plane
state in the case
where the data plane state exists but the control plane state doesn't.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Yangguang Xu [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 2:50 PM
To: Ping Pan
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-rsvp-te-restart-01.txt]

See my reply below,

> >
> > The restart procedure you described virtually turns the RSVP from a soft
state
> > protocol to a hard state protocol.
> >
> 
> How? Please explain.
> 

From RFC 2205 "RSVP takes a "soft state" approach to managing the
reservation
state in routers and hosts. RSVP soft state is created and periodically
refreshed by Path and Resv messages.  The state is deleted if no matching
refresh messages arrive before the expiration of a "cleanup timeout"
interval."

The "state" here is data plane state. If you separate the control and
transport
plane, you can't depend on the periodically refreshing of Path and Resv
message
to maintain the data plane state any more. Indeed, you can't even associate
the
health of control and data plane any more.

Thanks,

Yangguang

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:23:59 -0400

HI All,
I think that sending mails from a unsubscribed user is fine as it will help
him/her to send queries to the list without subscribing. I think IETF does
allow this option.

Regards
Madhubabu