Subject: Call For Papers -- IEEE Communication Magazine - Internet Technol ogy Series

From: "Lerner, Michah, ALSVC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:09:14 -0400

Call for Papers
                     IEEE Communications Magazine
                      Internet Technology Series
         
                            Series Editors
      Michah Lerner (AT&T) and Khaled Elsayed (Cairo University)

                              IP in 2005  
   Scalability, Programmability, and Virtualization in the Internet

The scalable Internet presents challenges and paradoxes. Scalable and 
malleable services leverage stateless distributed control over the
global address space. Transport bindings nevertheless influence service 
behavior through the control of access, the logical flow of information, 
as well as the availability of diverse content.  Such systems challenge 
the traditional traffic engineering methods for allocation of buffers 
and assignment of resources. The Internet Technology series of the IEEE 
Communications Magazine is calling for original tutorial papers about 
these challenges and their resolution, and suggest the following topics

   o Scalability - the Internet Interdomain Routing Protocols and BGP 
   o Clouds (native IP) vs. strings (MPLS) - Internet evolution choices
   o Programmable routers - architectures and services 
   o Instantiation and Virtualization - IP services providing concrete 
     capabilities through the structuring of resources. 
   o Virtualization of the transport service layers - such as pervasive 
     virtual private networks 
   o Internet services - multilevel and location-aware mobile services,
     including voice over IP (VoIP) 

The IEEE Communications Magazine is read by tens of thousands of 
Communications Society members. The papers will be available on the 
Internet through Communications Magazine Interactive, the WWW edition
of the magazine. Details about IEEE Communications Magazine are online
at http://www.comsoc.org/ci/. 

The online site includes articles selected from Internet Technology
Series, published in the January 2001 and July 2001 IEEE Communications
Magazine. 
 
Tentative Schedule
=========================  
Manuscripts due:             Nov 1, 2001
Notification of acceptance:  Jan 15, 2002 (for the April 2002 issue)
Final copy due:              One month before final publication date
Prospective Magazine issues: April, August, and Oct. 2002

                       How to Submit Manuscripts

Article Style Information  
=========================  
Articles should be tutorial in nature and should be written in a style  
comprehensible to readers outside the specialty of the article.
Articles may be edited for content, and will be copyedited for  
compliance with the magazine's style guidelines. Page proofs will be  
sent to the contact author for final review prior to publication. 
Mathematical equations should not be used unless they are vital to the  
presentation. Even then, they should be kept to a minimum. If the  
article has numerous equations, please contact the editor handling the  
manuscript. 

References should be included only to guide readers to more information  
on the topic; the reference list should not include every available  
source (a limit of ten references is recommended). Use footnotes only  
where necessary. 

Articles should not exceed 4500 words. 

Figures and tables should be limited to a combined total of six. If the  
article exceeds these recommended limits, please contact the editor  
handling the manuscript. 

Submission  

Electronic submission of manuscripts as PDF or Postscript is required.

Please send your submission to both series editors:  
   Khaled Elsayed: [email-masked]  
   Michah Lerner: [email-masked] 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This CFP is also online at http://inetseries.tripod.com