Subject: (no subject)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:39:31 EDT

I have a few newbie questions on vlan over mpls.

In Martini's drafts, there is a Group Id on LDP.
The use of Group ID is not explained clearly. I
am wondering if anybody out there can help me out

1. How Group ID is assigned in this context?

2. Should local group id and remote group id match?
   Is it ok a local group has a different id than a
   remote group?

3. Is group id network-wide significant or node-wide
   significant or peers-between significant?

4. In Cisco's implementation, there is a VC ID. It 
   seems that Cisco uses VC ID to relate a local VC 
   label to a remote VC label. But VC ID is missing
   in the LDP/RSVP for VC signalling, why?

---

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:14:45 +0100

> 1. How Group ID is assigned in this context?

It is a local decision as to how to assign the group ID.

Two options mentioned in the draft are:

1.  port index
2.  virtual tunnel index.

>    Is it ok a local group has a different id than a

No, they are not required to match.  So it is OK if they are different
:)

The PWE3 MIB stores both local and remote Group IDs. 

>    significant or peers-between significant?

Only between peers.  It allows a node to (for example) issue a wild-card
withdraw to a peer for all VCs with a given Group ID.

>    in the LDP/RSVP for VC signalling, why?

No, VC ID is in draft-martini.  The VC ID/VC type must match (and is
unique) between the two peers.

BTW the mailing list where draft-martini gets discussed is
[email-masked].

HTH

Giles

-- 
=================================================================
Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"
=================================================================