Subject: Re: [PWE3] New I-Ds related to Pseudo Wire MIBs

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:24:36 +0100

Hi David (and others.)

A bit late for comments, I know, but I've finally had time to review the
MIB presentation and the MIBs.  The MIBs look good, but I've got a few
questions/comments:

1.  The presentation states that if there is no outer tunnel then the VC
is assumed to have entries in MPLS-LSR-MIB.  Why not always make this
assumption (i.e. store the VC labels in MPLS-LSR-MIB.)  I would imagine
that this is what vendors are doing in the interim in any case?  If they
aren't I could have trouble managing my service!

2.  The PW-MIB has VC labels in it.  Wouldn't these be better located in
the PSN-specific MIBs?

3.  I still feel that the signalling and encapsulation information
should be separate.  I'm not sure that it would be so difficult to
cross-associate these MIBs?

4.  The VC type of hdlcCisco needs to be renamed hdlc.

5.  Does the VC type of GRE refer to PW over GRE, or PW over MPLS over
GRE?

6.  Following on from the question above, perhaps we should separate PW
type and PSN type (so MPLS over IP would be a PW type of MPLS and a PSN
type of IP?)

7.  To be honest I think the APS stuff should probably be moved to a
PW-APS-MIB.  I think in general 1+1 APS will mostly be used for CEM (so
perhaps it should even be in the CEM MIB?)   In any case I'd rather keep
it out of the general PW MIB that those of us building packet networks
will use.

Giles

David Zelig wrote:
> 
> All,
> 
> The following I-Ds describe some of the MIB modules for PW operation.
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zelig-pw-mib-00.txt
> This draft contains 2 MIB modules:
> 
> PW-MIB - Configures general parameters for the PW/VC creation and signaling,
> Independent of PSN type and PW service. It contains performance monitoring
> common to all service types and 1+1 APS at the VC level configuration.
> 
> PW-MPLS-MIB: Handles PW carried over MPLS PSN flavours :
> MPLS-TE, MPLS-LSP and VC only (no outer label).
> 
> Other PSNs modules will be added in the future.
> 
> Service specific modules will be defined in seperate i-d. For SoneT circuit
> emulation (CEM), the following MIB is available:
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-danenberg-pw-cem-mib-00.txt
> 
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nadeau-pw-tc-mib-00.txt
> contains the textual conventions used in the PW MIBs modules.
> 
> Remarks and discussion are welcomed.
> 
> David
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

-- 
=================================================================
Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"
=================================================================