Subject: RFC 3107

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:08:02 +0200

Hello,

Section 3 of RFC 3107 states the following:

> b) Label:
>
>         The Label field carries one or more labels (that corresponds to
>         the stack of labels [MPLS-ENCAPS]).  Each label is encoded as 3
>        octets, where the high-order 20 bits contain the label value,
>        and the low order bit contains "Bottom of Stack" (as defined in
>         [MPLS-ENCAPS]).

This description only covers the setting of 20 + 1 bits out of the 24 bits. How should the remaining 3 bits be set:
* Should they be set to 0 when transmitting and be ignored on receipt?
OR
* Should they be used to carry exp information?

Thanks for your reply.

     Francis.

---

From: Zaheer Aziz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:31:55 -0700

At 08:08 AM 8/16/2001 +0200, [email-masked] wrote:

>This description only covers the setting of 20 + 1 bits out of the 24 
>bits. How should the remaining 3 bits be set:

it should be set to 0 as no other usage is specified. 24 bit makes it on 
a  nice octet boundary and makes it easy to READ

Zaheer