Subject: Question on GMPLS contentions resolution

From: Guangzhi Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:16:48 -0400

Dear GMPLS authors and all experts:

During GMPLS last call, I posted the same question on the mailing list
without response. Please somebody spend a little time and check with the
following example? Something seems not clear when the current GMPLS
contention resution schemes are applied on a framework with both
bi-directional and uni-directional LSPs. Your clarification is very much
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Guangzhi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue arises because contention is resolved between bi-directional
LSPs by the node with the higher node index while for uni-directional
LSPs, contention is resolved by the downstream node. Consider the
following example of two nodes with paired, bi-directional interfaces
(i.e., a transmitter/receiver pair of ports).  Node 1 with ID=100 and
node 2 with ID = 50.  Node 1 uses label 1 for the transmitter port and
label 2 for the receiver port; node 2 uses label 4 for the transmitter
port and label 3 for the receiver port.   We assume that a
bi-directional LSP requires a single I/O interface.

We consider two LSPs - a uni-directional LSP (LSP A) and a
bi-directional LSP (LSP B). Both LSPs are going from node 1 to node 2,
with the uni-directional LSP setup request arriving marginally before
the bi-directional LSP.  LSP A does not use a suggested label, and thus
is assigned a label (port) by node 2.  Label 3 is assigned,
corresponding to label 1 at node 1.  At the same time, for LSP B (the
bi-directional LSP) node 1 assigns label 2, with suggested label 1.
Because node 1 has the higher node ID, node 2 will assume (due to the
contention resolution rule for bi-directional LSPs) that LSP B wins the
contention and thus label 3 is assigned to LSP B.  Thus label 1 at node
1 (label 3 at node 2) has been assigned to two different LSPs.  Both
LSPs have “won” the contention.

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:00:29 -0400

Guangzhi,

    The thing I can't figure out, is where you're getting all of this from.
I can't help you with your issues, because - from where I sit - it looks
like you pulled them out of thin air.

    Could you provide more specific information about where you see the
these issues of contention being defined?

--
Eric Gray

You wrote:

> LSPs have ?won? the contention.

---

From: Guangzhi Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:35:00 -0400

Eric:

In GMPLS functional specification:
(1) Two uni-directional LSPs establishment with label suggestion will result contention. Downstream node
label assignment policy solves the contention.
(2) Two bi-directional LSPs establishment with I/O pair restriction will result contention. LSP with
master node label assignment wins the contention.
(3) How about the contention between a uni-directional LSP and bi-directional LSP in the same framework?
The application is not clear currently. But if you draw figures by yourself, you may find the issue.

-- Guangzhi