Subject: Difference between LIB and FIB

From: "punithan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:34:03 +0530

Hi,
I have one doubt.What is the difference between LIB(Label Information
Base) and FIB(Forwarding Information Base).I will be thankful if
somebody helps me.
with regds,
MXJPunithan

---

From: Eric Osborne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:11:21 -0400

> Base) and FIB(Forwarding Information Base).I will be thankful if

LIB = the thing you look up labels with (a labeled packet comes in,
you go to the LIB)

FIB = the thing you look up IP routes in (an unlabeled packet comes
in, you go to the FIB)

eric

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:03:58 -0700

Eric,

> the thing you look up labels with (a labeled packet comes in,
> you go to the LIB)

Not quite. That would be the LFIB.

LIB is just a control plane database where all received label binding
are being kept and maintained. In other words the question was tricky as
the author is asking about not comparable and not related elements next
to each other :).

R.

> Eric Osborne wrote: