Subject: Doubt in MPLS-VPN ....

From: Shirish Indurkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:59:17 +0530

Hi All,

It is said that MPLS-VPNs generally consists of a set of sites that 
are interconnected by means of MPLS provider core network and the 
Service providers backbone consists of PE routers and Provider routers.

Now that MPLS forwarding carries packets between PEs routers through the 
service provider backbone , MPLS packet must traverse through the P routers
(if any) in between these PE routers.

My question is how we can be sure that the MPLS-VPN Packet  is really Safe 
when it traverses  through the P routers ? I mean how the corporate information
is still secured when it passes through the P routers ? It is still traversing 
through the Public infrastructure unencrypted .

Any suggestion of yours would be of great help .

Thanks in advance .

Shirish.

---

From: Ajay Simha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:22:09 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Shirish Indurkar wrote:

SI>Hi All,
SI>
SI>It is said that MPLS-VPNs generally consists of a set of sites that
SI>are interconnected by means of MPLS provider core network and the
SI>Service providers backbone consists of PE routers and Provider routers.
SI>
SI>Now that MPLS forwarding carries packets between PEs routers through the
SI>service provider backbone , MPLS packet must traverse through the P routers
SI>(if any) in between these PE routers.
SI>
SI>My question is how we can be sure that the MPLS-VPN Packet  is really Safe
SI>when it traverses  through the P routers ? I mean how the corporate information
SI>is still secured when it passes through the P routers ? It is still traversing
SI>through the Public infrastructure unencrypted .
SI>
SI>Any suggestion of yours would be of great help .

Is the packet "safe" when it traverses a provider network when you buy frame
relay or atm service or a leased line?

If you are still concerned in the atm/fr/leased line situation what would you
do - my guess is you'd encrypt you data from the customer end.  You can still
do this with MPLS VPNs.

-ajay

 SI>
SI>Thanks in advance .
SI>
SI>Shirish.
SI>

-- 
Ajay Simha
MPLS Deployment Engineer
IOS Technology Division
(919) 392-3141

"Study as if you were to live forever
 Live as if you were to die tomorrow"

 - Mahatma Gandhi