Subject: RE: draft-gan-fast-reroute

From: Sundara Murugan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:20:25 -0700

Dave,
    You can request the MTU size you want by specifying it in the TSpec and
in the Adspec. Routers along the path update the Adspec MTU if its interface
MTU is lower than the received Adspec MTU.
 
When the Path message reaches the egress, the egress will know the MTU size
than can be supported by all the routers along the path. Then It can specify
this MTU in the flow spec. When the resv message reaches the ingress it can
either accept the resv or deny it.
 
-sundara

-----Original Message-----
From: David Allan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 1:13 PM
To: Sundara Murugan; 'Arthi Ayyangar '; [email-masked] '
Cc: 'Alia Atlas '; [email-masked] '
Subject: RE: draft-gan-fast-reroute

Sundara: 

If the detour MTU must be >= the main LSP MTU, how is this achieved? If I
understand the protocol flows correctly, you only know what you got, you
cannot request a specific MTU. So there is not a method to easily find a
useful detour, and does this not disqualify perfectly good detour
opportunities when the RESV MTU for the main path exceeds the service
requirement?

thanks 
Dave