Subject: RFC2961 BUNDLE message

From: "Arvind, K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:46:37 -0400

Does the BUNDLE message offer any real benefit in terms of reducing control
overhead? There seems to be no significant change in the overall amount of
control traffic that is generated or processed as a result of bundling (even
though the traffic is bunched together resulting in fewer (but larger)
messages). Does this mechanism really help in scaling RSVP?  Could someone
throw light on this? Thanks.

Regards,
Arvind.

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:02:58 -0700

Arvind,

RSVP soft-state refresh has two significant scaling problems: 
- there are too many control packets on the wire, and 
- refresh and trigger messages look the same (so they have to be
processed the same way). 

RFC2961 is to fix both problems. Bundling message can stuff multiple
messages in one frame, so that a router can take care of multiple
sessions in one shot. (This is very important in many operating systems,
where I/O overhead is generally greater than memory copy.) So bundling
reduces the total number of messages. With the help of Srefresh, you can
process refresh messages differently.

In short, RFC2961 can improve the performance greatly. In MPLS networks,
I don't see any scalability problem caused by RSVP.

- Ping