Subject: MPLS Restoration

From: Irfan Lateef <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 22:30:52 -0400

Hi,
   I have few doubts on MPLS restoration.
(1)The section 3.6. Fault Notification of
draft-ietf-mpls-recovery-frmwrk-03.txt says,
  " Depending on how fault notification is configured in
   the LSRs of an MPLS domain, the FIS could be sent either as a Layer 2

   or Layer 3 packet [11]. The use of a Layer 2-based notification
   requires a Layer 2 path direct to the PSL. "

  If there is an LSP from A to F as shown below and a failure has
occured
  between C & D
  A --- B --- C --- D --- E ---- F
   (a) what does it mean to have a layer 2 direct path ?

   (b) how can a direct path be setup if layer 2 is SONET or GigE?

   (c) And how do you route the FIS to the source in any layer 2
technology?

(2) I have read all the MPLS restoration drafts AFAIK, but haven't found
any
     reference to expected restoration times for path restoration or
global repair.
     My guess is it going to be in the order of seconds. Is there any
effort or work
     in progress to bring it down by an order or it is impossible and
futile effort.

Appreciate your comments.

Regards,
--
Irfan Lateef
Village Networks Inc,