Subject: LMP Procedure in UNI 1.0 - Doubts

From: "S Ramesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:39:53 -0700

Hi,

I have some doubts in UNI 1.0 Whitepaper published by OIF.

1. IN section 8.2 it is given the UNI neighbour discovery  mechanism is based on the LMP protocol mechanism. It is defined some three identifiers for LMP procedures NodeID,CCID, INterfaceID. For in-fiber case the CCID MUST be equal to the Interface ID. if this is the case then under direct service invocation model which supports In-fiber method, there exists a proxy UNI-N on the TNE side. So here the CCID cannot be the the same as the interface id because interface id is the port address for data transfer and the CCID is the  IP control channel which can be a seperate point to point link between the UNI-C and the proxy UNI-N. Then how comes the criteria

CCID == Interface ID ( MUST in in-fiber case) can be satisfied.

2. Also there is some confusion exists regarding the three IDs as i mentioned above. When Config messages are sent under IP encapsulation they use the destination address as the Node ID of the destination. So what is the interface ID. Can anybody kindly explain these three IDs with a specific scenario.

Thanks,
Ramesh

---

From: "S Ramesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:16:17 -0700

Sorry in  the second question it is not config messages.. it is the Hello messages.

Ramesh

----- Original Message ----- 
From: S Ramesh 
To: CCAMP ; GMPLS 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 12:39 PM
Subject: LMP Procedure in UNI 1.0 - Doubts

Hi,

Thanks,
Ramesh

---

From: "Dipnarayan Guha" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 01:54:01 -0800

Hello Ramesh,

In-fibre signalling occurs when there exists a direct signalling between 
the client and transport network elements over transport links. In-fibre 
signalling means that the transport traffic and data traffic occurs 
through the same fibre. Remember that it is the control channel 
establishment across the neighbouring entities that is important. 
Corresponding to a particular control channel between two nodes, there 
can be one or more data channels of traffic transmission. Regarding the 
direct service invocation model, I guess what you mentioned is more of 
an implementation issue. However, IPCC is not the same as CCID, that you 
appear to mention. an IPCC is a control channel between two separate 
entities. CCID is just an indication of a particular control channel 
that is used for signalling controlling traffic between any two pair of 
nodes. It is NOT the physical control channel. Rather you may say that a 
corresponding IPCC may have one or more CCID's. For in-fibre signalling, 
it is important to realize that the control channel information is 
carried within the data traffic itself. Corresponding to a particular 
node, there may be several data links that are advertised as a single TE 
link and the resulting TE link associated with the advertising node is 
assigned a unique Interface ID. This is local to the node in question 
and is assigned to a port-to-port basis, i.e. an interface id is 
associated with the physical hardware port that is actually involved in 
data communications. Remember also that the CCID is assigned locally by 
the node for each IPCC configured. This CCID is locally unique to the 
node and may change under certain circumstances. But that does not mean 
that the IPCC has changed. Since in-fibre signalling is involved, the CC 
information must be carried within the data traffic itself. Hence, 
corresponding to the bundling of the data links to a TE link, there has 
to be a corresponding CCID that has to be associated with this TE link. 
In that case, the CCID must be equal to the corresponding interface id 
to maintain the one-to-one relationship between the outgoing TE link and 
the control channel information embedded in it. Corresponding to a pair 
of nodes, there can be different TE links, and if in-fibre signalling is 
present, there can be multiple instances of the above, but in each case, 
the CCID must be the same as the corresponding Interface ID. And what if 
the Interface ID changes? That means that the corresponding TE link's 
activity has changed over the pair of nodes in concern, and a different 
Interface ID has to be assigned by the initiating node. This can be done 
and then the CCID will again change (provided in-fibre signalling is 
present again), but the original CC that is already established will NOT 
change. The proxy UNI-N that you have mentioned might adopt a different 
stance when mapping the logical links to the actual transport network 
elements. It has to perform this duty of proper mapping between the said 
IDs and the corresponding links.

Remember that this is just an abstraction. The relationship is actually 
between the IDs and not the channels. 

Hope this helps. 

With warm regards, Ghazi

---------Included Message----------
>Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:39:53 -0700
>From: "S Ramesh" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: "S Ramesh" <[email-masked]>
>To: "CCAMP" <[email-masked]>, "GMPLS" <[email-masked]>
>Cc: <[email-masked]>
>1. IN section 8.2 it is given the UNI neighbour discovery  mechanism is 
based on the LMP protocol mechanism. It is defined some three 
identifiers for LMP procedures NodeID,CCID, INterfaceID. For in-fiber 
case the CCID MUST be equal to the Interface ID. if this is the case 
then under direct service invocation model which supports In-fiber 
method, there exists a proxy UNI-N on the TNE side. So here the CCID 
cannot be the the same as the interface id because interface id is the 
port address for data transfer and the CCID is the  IP control channel 
which can be a seperate point to point link between the UNI-C and the 
proxy UNI-N. Then how comes the criteria
>2. Also there is some confusion exists regarding the three IDs as i 
mentioned above. When Config messages are sent under IP encapsulation 
they use the destination address as the Node ID of the destination. So 
what is the interface ID. Can anybody kindly explain these three IDs 
with a specific scenario.
---------End of Included Message----------
_____________________________________________________________

Hi,

1. IN section 8.2 it is given the UNI neighbour discovery  mechanism
is based on the LMP protocol mechanism. It is defined some three identifiers for
LMP procedures NodeID,CCID, INterfaceID. For in-fiber case the CCID MUST be
equal to the Interface ID. if this is the case then under direct service
invocation model which supports In-fiber method, there exists a proxy UNI-N on
the TNE side. So here the CCID cannot be the the same as the interface id
because interface id is the port address for data transfer and the
CCID is the IP control channel which can be a seperate point to point link
between the UNI-C and the proxy UNI-N. Then how comes the criteria

CCID == Interface ID ( MUST in in-fiber case) can be
satisfied.

2. Also there is some confusion exists regarding the three IDs as i
mentioned above. When Config messages are sent under IP encapsulation they use
the destination address as the Node ID of the destination. So what is the
interface ID. Can anybody kindly explain these three IDs with a specific
scenario.

Thanks,

Ramesh

---

From: Bala Rajagopalan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:23:58 -0400

Ramesh:

At least the 1st question of your message belongs to the OIF
lists and not to the IETF lists. If you want to follow up,
please post to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  or
send private mail.
 
In any case, let me just briefly answer the questions:
 
(1) Neighbor discovery runs only between network elements
and not proxies. If there is a proxy, information must be configured.
 
(2) Node ID refers to the single unique Id of the node (an IP address)
     Interface ID is an ID for a data link interface. E.g., could be a
locally
     unique index. 
     CCID is an ID for the control channel. One CC could be used to
     control interactions over multiple link interfaces. In the in-fiber
case,
     a one-to-one association between CC and data link is assumed, hence
    the relation CCID = interface ID.
 
regards,
 
Bala

-----Original Message-----
From: S Ramesh [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 3:40 PM
To: CCAMP; GMPLS
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: LMP Procedure in UNI 1.0 - Doubts

Hi,

1. IN section 8.2 it is given the UNI neighbour discovery  mechanism is
based on the LMP protocol mechanism. It is defined some three identifiers
for LMP procedures NodeID,CCID, INterfaceID. For in-fiber case the CCID MUST
be equal to the Interface ID. if this is the case then under direct service
invocation model which supports In-fiber method, there exists a proxy UNI-N
on the TNE side. So here the CCID cannot be the the same as the interface id
because interface id is the port address for data transfer and the CCID is
the IP control channel which can be a seperate point to point link between
the UNI-C and the proxy UNI-N. Then how comes the criteria

2. Also there is some confusion exists regarding the three IDs as i
mentioned above. When Config messages are sent under IP encapsulation they
use the destination address as the Node ID of the destination. So what is
the interface ID. Can anybody kindly explain these three IDs with a specific
scenario.
 
Thanks,
Ramesh