Subject: RE: mplsLdpEntityTable

From: "Vijayanand C - CTD, Chennai." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:47:59 +0530

Hello,
I like to add one more point to this.

If we have sessions through targetted peers then we need to configure an
entity for each session. But why do we need a separate entity for each of
the other sessions. At the time of bringing up LDP with an entity for basic
discovery the number of peers are generally not known and it will be too
much to expect the operator to know this. The peer discovery of LDP has to
discover the peers and establish sessions with them. If we need to have a
one to one between entity and peer then in this case, after each peer is
discovered by the entity a new entity needs to be established for handling
the peer! To think of assigning a new LSRID for each Entity is misleading as
LSRID was supposed to identify the LSR.  Instead, why can't one to many
relationship between entity and peer-session be maintained. Each session can
have different label distribution modes, depending on the negotiation with
the peer. This will be possible because the session is indexed by local
LSRID,Entity Index and Peer LSRID.  The original entity distribution modes
can remain unaltered in the entity and used for further discovery and
session initiation. 

Please correct me if I am wrong

Regards,
Vijay

-----Original Message-----
From: Tiruveedhula, Kishore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 3:49 AM
To: 'Joan Cucchiara'
Cc: Srinivas T M; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: mplsLdpEntityTable

Hi Joan,
 
>>      The entry in the entity table is indexed by both mplsEntityLdpIds
and
>> mplsLdpEntityIndex.
>>        Can't we create two entries with same mplsEntityLdpIds with
different
>> mplsLdpEntityIndex in the Entity Table to support both DOD and DU
sessions
>> using per platform label space on a LSR with same LSR id ?
>>  mplsLdpEntityIndex  is used to uniquely identify row in the
>> mplsLdpEntityTable. I think we can have two or more entries with same
>> mplsEntityLdpIds with different mplsLdpEntityIndex. Is this correct ?

>This is not a viable solution to the problem -- 

Why this is not a viable solution to this problem ? Is there any specific
reason ?

Even for each targeted peer configuration, one entry need to be created for
each targeted peer in the entity table
with same mplsEntityLdpIds with different mplsLdpEntityIndex in which
session created by extended discovery method. 

> you will still have only
>one LSRID and that implies that one session will be capable of both
>DOD and DU which is not possible with LDP.
>
>   Thanks, Joan

Thanks,
Kishore

***********************************************************************
Disclaimer: 
This document is intended for transmission to the named recipient only.  If
you are not that person, you should note that legal rights reside in this
document and you are not authorized to access, read, disclose, copy, use or
otherwise deal with it and any such actions are prohibited and may be
unlawful. The views expressed in this document are not necessarily those of
HCL Technologies Ltd. Notice is hereby given that no representation,
contract or other binding obligation shall be created by this e-mail, which
must be interpreted accordingly. Any representations, contractual rights or
obligations shall be separately communicated in writing and signed in the
original by a duly authorized officer of the relevant company.
***********************************************************************

---

From: Joan Cucchiara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:41:40 -0400

> much to expect the operator to know this. The peer discovery of LDP has to

I would expect an operator to have a plan to configure his/her network
and be able to expand as the network grows.  So I would expect
that an operator would configure label ranges and other info needed for
LDP for each LER/LSR with the entire network in mind. (just as I would
expect 
that they would have some plan in place for an IP based network, 
or an ATM based network, etc.) 

> Please correct me if I am wrong

I think I mostly agree with what you state above, except you did not
discuss
the negotiation between entity and peer.  The entity and peer negotiate
to agree
on parameters and label range info upfront prior to sessions being
established.
Assuming that an operator plans what the label ranges and other info on
each LSR
in the network, then LDP sessions should be established when they are
needed.

 -Joan