Subject: rsvp error msg

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:57:43 -0400

H
This is one vendor says that error msg with error code in AppB is optional,
the reason is that the spec just use the word 'should', so it is optional.

For example:   rsvp spec rfc 2205 page 62

            One might expect the known Class-Num to provide information
           that could allow intelligent handling of such an object.
           However, in practice such class-dependent handling is
           complex, and in many cases it is not useful.

           Generally, the appearance of an object with unknown C-Type
           should result in rejection of the entire message and
           generation of an error message (ResvErr or PathErr as
           appropriate).  The error message will include the Class-Num
           and C-Type that failed (see Appendix B); the end system that
           originated the failed message may be able to use this
           information to retry the request using a different C-Type
           object, repeating this process until it runs out of
           alternatives or succeeds.

But people from MPLS mailing list told me the error code is there, which is
supposed to use in the patherr or resverr when the msg with error is
received.

So I need rfc author to point it out for me:   once the msg with ERROR(ex,
the unknown c-type)  is received, it was simply dropped or will generate
error msg with error code.

Thanks,

Julia