Subject: router architecture for MPLS

From: "k m a" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Oct 2001 01:40:05 -0000

hi all, 
can somebody tell me what changes we will need to make or upgradations
required in a router to make it MPLS enabled.i mean am talking bout the
router architecture,whether we need to revamp the whole architecture or
some mere software upgrades will dot the thing. can a normal router be upgraded or we require a complete replacement.
thanx 
k

 
  Reply Reply All Forward   Previous  Next    Delete Message  
 
 Select folder to move checked messages Trash Sent Messages Drafts        
 Read Message : Inbox  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 1996 - 2001 rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.

---

From: "Kameswara Rao Avasarala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:53:17 -0700

Hi ,
     I think that you should be able to convert a router into an LSR by
doing a software upgrade.However the software upgrade will not be a trivial
one .
Kamesh.

Kameswara Rao Avasarala
Software Engineer
Ericsson Inc
Telephone:
Work:805-562-6212
Resi: 805-562-8841

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of k m a
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 6:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: router architecture for MPLS

hi all,  can somebody tell me what changes we will need to make or
upgradations required in a router to make it MPLS enabled.i mean am talking
bout the router architecture,whether we need to revamp the whole
architecture or some mere software upgrades will dot the thing. can a normal
router be upgraded or we require a complete replacement. thanx  k
Reply Reply All Forward   Previous  Next    Delete Message      Select
folder to move checked messages Trash Sent Messages Drafts          Read
Message :
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------- © 1996 - 2001 rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.

---

From: Ajay Simha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:42:37 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On 12 Oct 2001, k m a wrote:

kma:
kma:hi all, can somebody tell me what changes we will need to make or
kma:upgradations required in a router to make it MPLS enabled.i mean am
kma:talking bout the router architecture,whether we need to revamp the
kma:whole architecture or some mere software upgrades will dot the thing.
kma:can a normal router be upgraded or we require a complete replacement.
kma:thanx k
kma:

I think it depends.  If you are talking about a distiributed platform where
some processing is done on line cards, and in hardware then you'd need line
cards that support the software.

-ajay
kma:
kma:
kma:
kma:
kma:
kma:
kma:  Reply Reply All Forward   Previous  Next    Delete Message
kma:
kma: Select folder to move checked messages Trash Sent Messages Drafts
kma: Read Message : Inbox
kma:
kma:
kma:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kma:© 1996 - 2001 rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.
kma:
kma:
kma:

-- 
Ajay Simha
MPLS Deployment Engineer
IOS Technology Division
(919) 392-3141

"Study as if you were to live forever
 Live as if you were to die tomorrow"

 - Mahatma Gandhi

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:50:22 -0400

k m a wrote:
> 
> can somebody tell me what changes we will need to make or
> upgradations required in a router to make it MPLS enabled.i mean am
> talking bout the router architecture,whether we need to revamp the
> whole architecture or some mere software upgrades will dot the
> thing. can a normal router be upgraded or we require a complete
> replacement.

The router's forwarding subsystem will have to be able to forward
packets based on labels.  This may require new hardware, microcode, FPGA
updates, or it may be possible through software alone.  Which will
depend on your existing router architecture.

Once that is in place, you will probably want the ability to manually
assign label operations (push, pop, swap).  This will be useful both for
testing and to allow manual creation of LSPs.

Then, you'll need to implement at least one signaling protocol (LDP,
CR-LDP or RSVP-TE being the three standard ones) in order to allow
dyanmic creation of LSPs.

-- David