Subject: Re: When to use TE-MIB (tewg) and when to use MPLS-TE-MIB (mplswg)

From: Thomas Nadeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:05:37 -0400

>Hi! I have a basic question on the difference between the MPLS-TE-MIB
>(MPLS WG) and TE-MIB (TE WG).
>
>Q1. When should one use the TE-MIB, instead of the MPLS-TE-MIB ?
>       (or the MPLS-TE-MIB, instead of TE-MIB)

         I recommend that you always use the MPLS-TE-MIB because
it represents a super set of objects for managing TE tunnels. This MIB does 
include
the important objects from the TE-TE-MIB, which is why I say that it is a 
super
set of objects for managing TE tunnels.

         If you don't know already, the MPLS-TE-MIB models MPLS TE Tunnels for
heads and optionally for tails/endpoints, and for each tunnel keeps track 
of the
ERO, RRO and CSPF-computed paths, and has statistics. It supports tunnels that
are modeled both as Interfaces MIB entries, and those which are not. It 
provides
notifications for tunnels going up/down, being re-routed and re-optimized.
It supports both methods of signaling tunnels (RSVP-TE and CR-LDP). You
will also find that other MIBs such as those for managing PWE3 and CCAMP
are based on this MIB or will cross-reference entries found in it.

>Q2. Specifically on a LSR(/LER) that supports MPLS-TE, is there any
>       case, where the TE-MIB, compliments the features exported by the
>       MPLS-TE-MIB?

         Not that I am aware of.

         --Tom

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.