Subject: NHLFE

From: "krishnakanth.rao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 02:18:26 -0400

where does The Next Hop Label Forwarding Entry (NHLFE)reside ?

Krishnakanth

---

From: Zaheer Aziz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 00:04:27 -0700

>where does The Next Hop Label Forwarding Entry (NHLFE)reside ?

IMO LFIB label forwarding information base seems like the appropriate place 
because only labeled packets
will be processed using NHLFE

Zaheer

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 11:27:02 -0400

Zaheer,

    And our studio audience says - BBRRRRTTTTTT!

    Where the NHLFE resides, how the information is encoded and whether
or not it is distributed or centrallized are implementation specific, however,
in general, it makes sense to store it in such a way as to make it possible
for the information to be used directly by optimized forwarding mechanisms.

    The NHLFE is 'logically' accessed using either an ILM (incoming label
mapping), or an FTN (FEC to NHLFE mapping).  In the former case, the
LSR is either an intermediate LSR or an egress for the LSP associated with
the specific label.  In the latter case, the LSR is the ingress for the LSP that
is associated with the FEC and a mapped NHLFE.

    An NHLFE may 'logically' be used wether there is an incoming label or
not.

--
Eric Gray (mailto:[email-masked])
http://www.mindspring.com/~ewgray