Subject: Some questions on HA

From: sumeshkp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 18:55:08 +0530

hi all,

i have some quick questions on high availability for MPLS. it will be
great if any one can answer this for me

assumption: we are considering only data plane redundancy.

1. what is the format of FIS and FRS (not to be found in any
contermporary drafts)
2. can the "root" be outside the PML, IOW can root be outside the
protection domain configured?
3. should PSL always terminate the FIS or can it be extended over to the
Ingress

thank you very much,
warm regards,
sumesh

--
           \\\///             | Url  : http://www.netbrahma.com     |
          netbrahma           | Phone: +91-80-552-1452 X 263 (work) |
           ///\\\             |        +91-80-534-2165 (home)       |
Internext Networking Software | Fax  : +91-80-553-7533              |

---

From: "David Allan"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:29:18 -0500

Hi Sumesh:
 
FIS and FRS are not defined anywhere. The draft assumed that such capability
was required and described it in generalized terms (for example, reading the
definition it could be somthing on the user plane or control plane). 
 
The closest functional equivalent to FIS/FRS on the user plane is the
CV/FDI/BDI currently proposed in the ITU-T Y.1711 work. FDI/BDI (forward and
backward defect indication) are the equivalent to FIS, and rules exist for
handling CV whereby failure and recovery would be determined (there is no
explicit "it has been fixed" message).
 
cheers
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: sumeshkp [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 8:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Some questions on HA

hi all, 

i have some quick questions on high availability for MPLS. it will be great
if any one can answer this for me 

1. what is the format of FIS and FRS (not to be found in any contermporary
drafts) 
2. can the "root" be outside the PML, IOW can root be outside the protection
domain configured? 
3. should PSL always terminate the FIS or can it be extended over to the
Ingress 

thank you very much, 
warm regards, 
sumesh 

-- 

           \\\///             | Url  :  http://www.netbrahma.com
<http://www.netbrahma.com>      |