Subject: Re: mpls lsr mib

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:54:24 +0100

Tom,

> First, how can you use two different label spaces to advertise over
> the same interface?  I have never heard of this behavior before. One
> assigns a per-interface label range that is unique for that interface
> only, no?

The idea is to split the label range in 2 partitions that are mutually 
exclusive -1 partition for the per interface label space and 1 partition 
for the global label range. My understanding is that this behavior is also 
supported in the mpls lsr mib where the 
mplsInterfaceLabelParticipationType obejct has then both its perPlatform 
and perInterface set for each ifIndex /= 0.

For example:
* For a static LSP we will use a label from the per interface label space.
* For an LDP established LSP we will use a global label (==> so for LDP we 
will only advertise the global label space).

But the point that this not clear to me, is how the mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn object in the mpls lsr mib should be set in the above approach.

Best regards,

        Francis.

-----------------------------------

"Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
24/01/2002 15:29

        To:     Francis ARTS/BE/ALCATEL@ALCATEL
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: mpls lsr mib

>Hello Tom et all,
>
>I have a question on the mplsInterfaceConfTable in the mpls lsr mib. 
>IAssume that we consider the following:
>* Per interface label space used for RSVP signalled LSPs and static LSPs.
>* Global label space used for LDP signalled LSPs.

         First, how can you use two different label spaces to advertise 
over
the same interface?  I have never heard of this behavior before. One
assigns a per-interface label range that is unique for that interface
only, no?

         --Tom

>Which value should we then give to the mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn:
>* The min label value of the per interface label space (that is, the min 
>label value from the RSVP signalled LSPs and the static LSPs)?
>* The min label value of the RSVP signalled LSPs.
>* The min label value of all LSPs on the interface (=min of all LDP 
>signalled, RSVP signalled and static LSPs).
>
>I would appreciate any help you can give me.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>         Francis.
>
>--------------------------------
>
>mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn OBJECT-TYPE
>    SYNTAX        MplsLabel
>    MAX-ACCESS    read-only
>    STATUS        current
>    DESCRIPTION
>        "This is the minimum value of an MPLS label that this
>         LSR is willing to receive on this interface."
>    ::= { mplsInterfaceConfEntry 2 }

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:05:03 +0100

Tom,

Thanks for your response. It already answers part of my question. Can you 
indicate which value the xaMplsIfConfLabelMinIn should have for a row with ifIndex /= 0:
* The min label value of the **per interface** label space.
OR
* The min label value of all the labels in the per interface **and** per 
platform label spaces.

Best regards,

        Francis.

----------------------------

24/01/2002 16:43

        To:     Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
        cc:     Francis ARTS/BE/ALCATEL@ALCATEL, [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: mpls lsr mib

over
>Having LDP use global labels while RSVP-TE LSPs use per interface labels 
is
>reasonable; certainly, I've heard of it before.  One can partition the
>label range given out, so that one range is for the global labels, while
>the other is for per-interface.

         Yes, it is within the realm of possibility to configure your 
label
ranges that way. However, what you are talking about is per-application
label space configuration, which is not what the MIB variable is getting 
at.
It is used to represent per-interface label range configuration or 
per-platform
label range configuration. These values are configured on interfaces, not 
on
applications. If you want to divide up the range further (i.e.: per 
application),
that is something the MIB was not intended to do.

         --Tom

>Alia
> >>OBJECT-TYPE

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:45:20 +0100

Hi Rajneesh,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a slightly different interpretation on the mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn 
object. When looking at the descriptions in the mib, I understand that the 
mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn object is the minimum label value on an interface 
- be at a label from the local or the global label space.

After all, the description of the mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn object states 
the following:
        If only the
        perPlatform(0) bit is set, then the value of
        mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn, mplsInterfaceLabelMaxIn,
        mplsInterfaceLabelMinOut, and
        mplsInterfaceLabelMaxOut for this entry must be
        identical to the instance of these objects with
        index 0."

So this text indicates that the global label space also needs to be taken 
into account for the mplsInterfaceLabelMinIn object.

Best regards,

        Francis.

---------------------------------

"rajneesh mahajan" <[email-masked]>
24/01/2002 17:01
Please respond to "rajneesh mahajan"

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc:     (bcc: Francis ARTS/BE/ALCATEL)
        Subject:        Re: mpls lsr mib

I had a similar problem while implementing this MIB few months back and I 
decided that we should give label range for RSVP and statically signalled 
LSPs (which was per interface as in your case).  LDP label range could be 
obtained from LDP MIB.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
 
-Rajneesh
----- Original Message ----- 
From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 8:22 AM
Subject: mpls lsr mib

Hello Tom et all, 

Kind regards, 

        Francis.