Subject: Static MPLS configuration

From: "Igor Achkinazi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:43:16

Hi all,

Does anybody use MPLS interface as a layer 3 logical interface, or 
subinterface (part of a physical interface), like ATM PVC or Frame Relay 
DLCI, with its own entry in ifTable (mpls(166) ifType from IANAifType-MIB) 
and IP address associated with it? Of course, it makes sense for static MPLS 
configuration of bidirectional flows.

I think it can be useful for multiplexing of small traffic flows onto big 
capacity MPLS trunk. Another possible application is eliminating of 
complexity of forwarding adjacencies in routing protocols (LSP hierarchy 
draft), where simple static MPLS path can be used as actual, not virtual 
interface. In latter case MPLS interface can be even unnumbered, without IP 
address.

Thanks,
Igor

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:31:19 -0500

>and IP address associated with it?

         I know of lots of vendors that support this, as it is the standard 
model for MPLS
interface stacking.

>Of course, it makes sense for static MPLS configuration of bidirectional 
>flows.

         It makes sense from a configuration perspective because it allows
a manager to determine if MPLS is configured on that interface, as well as
allows them to configure MPLS on an existing interface. It also makes sense
from a statistical gathering perspective because stacking an MPLS interface on
top of another physical interface such as Ethernet allows a manager to 
count just
the MPLS traffic on that interface, as opposed to the (aggregate) enet traffic,
or anything else (IP).

         --Tom

>interface. In latter case MPLS interface can be even unnumbered, without 
>IP address.
>
>Thanks,
>Igor
>
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.