Subject: regarding how to ethernet identifies mpls packet.?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:49:01 +0530

hi,
 i am working on MPLS over ethernet .
i had gone through the draft    "draft-jagd-mpls-mcast-eth-00.txt"  .

i was able to get the information on how ethernet identifies mpls packet  when
it
receives a packet form layers below it .(physical layer)
(i.e from the standard ethernet type values for MPLS mulicast and
unicast values 0x8847 & ox8848 in ethernet header)

But when ethernet receives a packet from upper layer(i.e MPLS layer) how can
it know that it had received from MPLS layer? is there any standard method?
For example in BSD when ethernet receives a packet form IP it compares the
address family of destination with AF_INET and determines whether it received
packet from
IP or not ?  Similarly is there any address family  AF_MPLS defined for MPLS? if
not defined
then how can ethernet identify that it had recived packet from MPLS?

can anyone  help me out in this issue?

thanks in advance

mahesh

Hughes Software Systems

---

From: Tricci So <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:22:30 -0800

As far as I know, the only way to encapsulate Ethernet over MPLS is to refer to the
Martini draft (see draft-martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls-xx.txt).  There is no such
thing as  protocol type in MPLS to identify the encapsulated packet is Ethernet.
You need to configure or to signal the info for the associated MPLS i/f.

Tricci

---

From: "abhay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:16:06 +0530

Hi Tricci,
            Let the routing module know about mpls interfaces
            Got the catch ?
            Regards,
            Abhay