Subject: Re: RSVP

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 11:50:20 -0500

"Gopinath G - CTD, Chennai." wrote:
> 
> How  RSVP/RSVP-TE  recognises its peers  ?  Is there any discovery
> mechanism like in LDP
> or do we need to configure the peers ?

There is no discovery mechanism.  And there is no need for one.

When a Path message is received, the next-hop router is determined using
the routing table and the content of the SESSION (or EXPLICIT_ROUTE)
object.

Other messages that flow downstream use the same next-hop that the most
recent Path message for that flow used.  Messages that flow upstream are
sent to the previous-hop router, based on the PHOP object of the
most-reently received Path message for that flow.

-- David

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 11:52:22 -0500

"Gopal@Home" wrote:
> 
> There is a new extension, 'Hello message'(rfc3209) which helps to
> recognize the presence or failure of the rsvp neighbor. This is
> optional and not mandatory for Rsvp/Te.

RSVP-Hello is not a discovery mechanism.  It can only be used for
failure detection.

Hellos are sent to a neighbor router's address, not a broadcast
address.  Therefore, you must already know who your neighbor is before
you can send a Hello to him.

-- David