Subject: RE: Clarification on today discussions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:00:45 -0000

Hi Ping,  just 1 observation.  regards, Neil
> 
> I am not interested in working a "Long Term Solution for 
> Generations to 
> Come". That's just my personal opinion.
NH=> This phrase conveys a worrying message to operators that I hope you
don't really mean(?).  I don't know what your definition of 'generations to
come' is.....200 years maybe (for humans say, less for fruit-flies etc?),
but I'd like to think we were producing standards that had some longish-term
outlook....say 3-5 years at least, otherwise why bother?  If I take what you
are saying at face value I get the impression you are going to sell me
expedient solutions that have no long-term viabilty/value and will need
rapid-cycle updates.  I don't like the sound of that wrt capex/opex
implications, esp in the current climate.

regards, Neil

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:25:07 -0800

Neil,

I think what we are trying to do is to have some basic building blocks 
that can solve the problems existing today, and can be used and reused 
in the future. I don't think tools such as ping and traceroute will ever 
go away from the Internet.

Regards,

- Ping