Subject: Question on RFC2547bis January 2002

From: Sachin Kalra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:45:12 -0500

Hi:

I would appreciate if I can get answers to the following questions.

Please consider the scenario where we have a VPN between two sites "site1" 
and "site2" which have (PE1, CE1) and (PE2, CE2) respectively.

1. When PE1 get routes from CE1, it associates all the routes with a Route 
Target of "RED_RT" (May be based on some ASN and other Admin Number). Thus, 
the VRF table at PE1, "Export Target" is set to "RED_RT".

2. Now when PE1 advertise the VPN-IPv4 address to PE2, then PE2 will only 
install these routes if its own "Import Target" is "RED_RT"

Now my questions are
1. How does PE2 decides upon its "Import Target" attribute?

2. Does "Import Target" has to be manually configured and should always be 
equal to the "Export Target" of PE1?

3. If there are more PEs in a VPN. Can they have different "Export 
Targets"? But this will require a PE to have multiple "Import Target", 
inorder to accept routes from all the PEs.

Thanks for your help.
Sachin Kalra

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:42:46 +0100

see answers inline

-----------------------------
Juerg FANKHAUSER
swisscom AG, Bern
[email-masked]
-----------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Sachin Kalra [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Mittwoch, 6. März 2002 22:45
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Question on RFC2547bis January 2002

Hi:

Now my questions are

see 2.

yes

yes

Thanks for your help.
Sachin Kalra