Subject: MPLS ping draft-03

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:33:21 -0800

Hi All,

I would like to point out a few facts that I think you should consider
when deciding about the faith of this draft.

1) Version-03 is basically a Brand New draft and has almost nothing in common with version-02.
Therefore I recommend that you read this draft carefully.

2) Juniper networks is seeking patent protection for this draft as outlined in section 7.

Best regards,
-Shahram

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:08:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi Shahram,

> 1) Version-03 is basically a Brand New draft and has almost nothing in

Are you really questioning the "faith of the draft" (or the good
faith of the authors) because the draft changed?  Pretty amazing!

> Therefore I recommend that you read this draft carefully.

Good idea!  If one actually looked at the changes, one could make
*technical* comments instead of argumentum ad draftinem.

For those who are interested, the new version addresses three issues:
a) data plane failure detection for *any* LSP;
b) fault isolation for *any* LSP;
c) reliable return paths.

The -02 version only addressed (a) and (c), and only for RSVP LSPs.

Kireeti.

PS: Expect the draft to change further ("those rat finks did it
    again!") :-)