Subject: What is "diverted resources"?

From: "Xu Yingxiao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:52:32 +0800

As in draft-ietf-mpls-recovery-frmwrk-03.txt

I have difficulty in understanding the following sentence:

"MPLS-based recovery should aim to enhance the reliability of the 
protected traffic while minimally or predictably degrading the 
traffic carried by the diverted resources".

Does it mean When failure occur, the traffic should be degraded minimally or predictably, and at the same time, the reliability of the protected traffic should be enhanced?

But what traffic is the traffic that carried by the diverted resources?
In english dictionary, it explains as "To turn aside from a course or direction", but it seems not fit in this circumstance. I also find some usage in Internet as below:

1.damages a company can suffer: lower productivity, delays in key project timelines,diverted resources.
2. Many graphic design companies have chosen diverted resources to new media such as web design. 

But all these can't help me know the meaning of diverted resources.

---

From: "abhay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:30:01 +0530

Hello Xu,
As I understand from the MPLS recovery framework:

1) MPLS Based Recovery such as(FRR Paths,Path Restoration,Backup Paths) are
applied
to only those paths that have either paid more money for these
services.These paths
are called protected paths.

However the point to be noted is:

2)Even though the main path of the protected path has QOS and Bandwidth
Reservations.

Note this:

Since we call it protected paths,the FRR Paths,Backup paths which give
protection to the
main path has the following characteristics:

1) The FRR paths and Backup Paths may contain other MPLS non-protected
paths.Hence they also
will be carrying traffic for non-protected paths.

2)Now,when there is a Link Failure in the main protected path.The traffic of
the main protected path will flow on the backup or the FRR paths.But,the
problem is that how shall we
maintain the same QOS and good service level for the main path traffic on
these backup paths.

There are 2 things we can do:

1) Let the traffic from main path flow with the traffic of non-protected
paths and possibly suffer service degradation

                            -OR-

2) Degrade the services of the non-protected paths by maintaining state
information in the routers/switches along the paths,stating a policy to
treat the protected path traffic with higher priority.

Some things to be noted is the Birth of Diff Serv was due one of these
reasons:

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Abhay

----- Original Message -----
From: Xu Yingxiao <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 2:22 PM
Subject: What is "diverted resources"?

> Does it mean When failure occur, the traffic should be degraded minimally
or predictably, and at the same time, the reliability of the protected
traffic should be enhanced?
> In english dictionary, it explains as "To turn aside from a course or
direction", but it seems not fit in this circumstance. I also find some