Subject: Question regarding the identifier "MplsVpnId" in draft-ietf-ppvpn -mpls-vpn-mib-03.txt

From: "Reddy, Vikram" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:49:10 -0500

Hi 

I have a question regarding the identifier "MplsVpnId" which is mentioned in
the draft 
draft-ietf-ppvpn-mpls-vpn-mib-03.txt. 

The following is said about the identifier in the Draft.

"An identifier that is assigned to each MPLS/BGP VPN and is used to uniquely
identify it. This is assigned by the system operator or NMS and SHOULD be
unique throughout the MPLS domain. If this is the case, then this identifier
can then be used at any LSR within a specific MPLS domain to identify this
MPLS/BGP VPN. It may also be possible to preserve the uniqueness of this
identifier across MPLS domain boundaries, in which case this identifier can
then be used to uniquely identify MPLS/BGP VPNs on a more global basis."
RFC 2685 also talks about a 'Virtual Private Networks Identifier' which
uniquely identifies a VPN.

Now my question is :
2547bis does not mention anything about this and how this information is
carried from one PE to another.
How does one uniquely identify the BGP/MPLS VPN using an identifier in the
case of 2547bis. 
Is there any identifier which can uniquely identify a BGP/MPLS VPN (using
2547bis) in the MPLS domain.

Thanks in advance.
Vikram Reddy.

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 08:11:58 -0500

>2547bis) in the MPLS domain.

         Right, the VPN-ID and VrfName are there simply for management
purposes (CLI or SNMP).  However, since these are assigned by operations
management, it is up to that entity to make them consistent (and unique)
across the entire network.

         --Tom

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.