Subject: Memory at PE

From: Sachin Kalra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:51:11 -0400

Dear Group:

I would appreciate if I can get answer to the following question regarding 
BGP/MPLS VPNs (RFC2547bis)

I understand that PE router maintains a separate VRF table for each VPN 
site connected to it. I wanted to know if a PE also maintain separate RIBs 
for each VPN site, apart from its main Local RIB? Or, does it maintain only 
one single RIB?

Actually, I was looking from the perspective of amount of memory required 
at PE, if it has to maintain many VRFs and many RIBs.

Thanks for your response.
Sachin Kalra

---

From: "Liu, Chia J (Charlie), ALCNS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:49:16 -0400

Sachin,

There are two aspects:
*	Memory Usage in GRP/RSP:   In the lab, we saw data of ~935 bytes per VPN prefix in VRF, compared to 500-600 bytes per internet prefix in global routing table.    I heard there is additional 60KB-70KB overhead per VRF.
*	Memory Usage in Line Card:   We are particularly concerned about the VRF memory overhead in PSA/TLU of E2 16xOC-3 in GSR.    It looks like the number is different in different IOS releases.    I am interested in knowing if anyone has number on this.   Thanx.

C.J. (Charlie) Liu

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Sachin Kalra [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Tuesday, April 23, 2002 11:51 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Memory at PE
> 
> Dear Group:
>