Subject: RE: initiating a discussion on mpls singaling protocols

From: "Don Fedyk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:49:07 -0400

Hi Loa

I am against the proposal on the belief it is too soon to take this step. If
we had applied this policy to the original classical RSVP protocol it would
have been information some 5 years ago. 

Cheers,
Don

---

From: Zhi-Wei Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:17:46 -0400

Hi all,

I believe that making a decision on whether RSVP-TE or CR-LDP should be on standards track based upon marketshare should NOT be how a standards organization works...  As another person commented, if we're making our decision based on marketshare then Microsoft Windows would be the standard for OS, and probably also need to switch to using Word as the default format for documents...

Zhi

Don Fedyk wrote:

> Hi Loa
>
> I am against the proposal on the belief it is too soon to take this 
> step. If we had applied this policy to the original classical RSVP 
> protocol it would have been information some 5 years ago.
>
> Cheers,
> Don 
>

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:46:25 -0400

> I believe that making a decision on whether RSVP-TE or CR-LDP should be on
> standards  track based  upon marketshare  should  NOT be  how a  standards
> organization works 

This is really  a misrepresentation.  They are both  on the standards track.
The question  is whether  a marketshare of  approximately zero is  reason to
remove a document from the standards  track.  In fact, it's fairly common to
remove documents from the standards track for just this reason. 

The only real  issue is whether there is any  realistic prospect (as opposed
to,  say,   wishful  thinking)  that  CR-LDP  will   ever  gain  significant
deployment.  A few of the folks favoring CR-LDP have actually addressed this
issue, but not, it seems to me, with any great degree of confidence.

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:42:55 -0400

> have been information some 5 years ago. 

Wow! RSVP wasn't even an RFC then.

...George

==================================================================
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                  (978) 497-8143
                     250 Apollo Drive
                     Chelmsford, Ma 01824