Subject: RE: your mail

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:20:58 -0700

Eric,

> I am familiar with the OAM discussion; it's happened a few times
> already, as you know.  So rather than going down that path again, let
> me ask a question (particularly to you and Sharam) - is there anything
> wrong with hashing for loadsharing purposes *other* than the fact that
> it makes doing OAM the way you've proposed difficult, if not
> impossible? 

1) Y.1711 applies onlt to ER LSPs. 
2) ECMP creates problem for your own proposed MPLS-ping
3) ECMP doesn't work if you have traffic with various label stack depth and various type of payload. And you need deep packet parsing.

-Shahram

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:14:44 -0400

Shahram> And you need deep packet parsing. 

A procedure wherein you make a  decision based on the contents of the header
would not generally be known as "deep packet parsing".