Subject: RE: Secure MPLS

From: "Black, Stephen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:50:04 -0600

To a point I agree with Ron also... but there are other considerations to
look at... Such as government/corporate clients who need to have an ISP
guarantee that their links are secure (i.e. a link between FBI and CIA, or a
link from Intel in CA to Intel in NY). There are also military networks that
might want to implement a secure form of MPLS. Granted this is a very small
piece of the pie but it should be worth putting some effort into. As a
client I'd rather have a combination of layers that incorporates security
rather than a higher layer where the lower layers can be compromised without
my knowledge. Just running IPSEC and a firewall is like putting all your
eggs in one basket. Let the politicians worry about the escrow and seizure.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew G. Malis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 12:39 PM
To: Ron Bonica
Cc: Tissa Senevirathne; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Secure MPLS

I agree with Ron.  From the end user point of view, some problems with 
service provider encryption are that the tail circuits from the customer 
premise to the service provider are unprotected (which the obvious place to 
place a covert wiretap); the encryption keys are the property of the 
service provider, not the end user; and the keys could be subject to 
government escrow or seizure depending on where you are in the world.  This 
is certainly the case in the US (see http://www.fcc.gov/calea/ ).

Cheers,
Andy

------

At 7/30/2002 02:22 PM -0400, Ron Bonica wrote:
>Tissa,
>
>Given that the upper layers are capable of encryption using mechanisms like
>IPSEC, why would a service provider want to encrypt the contents of an MPLS
>LSP?
>
>Wouldn't you want to push the encryption function higher in the protocol
>stack and closer to the network edges?
>
>                                                     Ron