Subject: RE: your mail

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:44:50 +0100

Thanks Giles, but I am still missing the explanation to the points below.
regards, Neil

> > NH=>  Can you explain the difference between an MPLS tunnel 
> and an LSP please?
> > BTW - How does VoverMPLS fit with all this?

<snipped above and below NH>

---

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Jul 2002 09:43:13 +0000

> > > NH=>  Can you explain the difference between an MPLS tunnel 

none, whatsoever - just my sloppy wording.

In draft-martini a "tunnel label" is the outer label associated with the
LSP from PE to PE.  A "VC label" is the label used to associate the
traffic with a given PseudoWire.

my contention is that if you *only* have a "tunnel label" (or whatever
you should choose to call it) then the client should be IP.

> > > BTW - How does VoverMPLS fit with all this?

what is VoMPLS?
 
I'd say VoIPoMPLS is a far more likely scenario - at least in the IETF
view of the world!

If any other organisation chooses to specify a VoMPLS solution that
doesn't use IP or a label stack then I'd suggest they don't really "get"
MPLS.

Giles

-- 
=================================================================
Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"
=================================================================