Subject: MPLS Tunnel Maximum Hops

From: Nurit Sprecher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:14:26 +0200

Any response to the bellow?

Hi,
I have a question  regarding the mplsTunnelMaxHops scalar that indicates the
maximum number of hops that can be specified on each tunnel supported by the
LSR.
This scalar is a read only attribute but I can find it very useful to let
configure it as well. 
One of the CSPF constraints is the maximum number of hops the LSP may follow
through. The limitation on the maximum number for example can result from
the maximum packet size when fragmentation is not supported. In such a case
the maximum number of hops can depend on the network nature
(numbered/unnumbered). Instead of hard coding it with the worst case number,
let the network administrator, that is aware  of the network nature,
configure it.
Moreover, I think that the maximum hops should be configurable per tunnel.
Thanks, Nurit.

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:13:44 -0600

>Any response to the bellow?

	The MIB is well past IETF last call, so
I don't believe we can make any further changes
at this time.

	--Tom

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:34:27 +0100

Tom,

while I agree that we don't want any changes just now.
It would also be good to understand if this is a good idea
or not. If not we could discard it now, if it is would could
make a log for future updates. Any opinion?

/Loa

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:36:34 -0500

>make a log for future updates. Any opinion?

	That is a good idea. I will keep a list of things
that didn't get into the current version.

	--Tom