Subject: Soft/hard pre-emption

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:39:01 -0000

As my first step in resolving this issue I would like to conduct a brief survey amongst
implementors.

Please feel free to respond to me off-list and in confidence. If you do not want your
information shared more widely, please state that explicitly in your email.

Also, please note that this questionnaire is NOT a discussion of what is the correct
behavior. It is simply collecting information about interpretation of RFCs 2205 and 3209.

Thanks,
Adrian

Questions:

1. When your implementation receives a PathErr message indicating pre-emption for an
established LSP, does it tear the LSP (i.e. release labels) or only release resources
(i.e. leave the LSP in place as 'best effort')?
In other words, is your default behavior hard or soft pre-emption?

2. When your implementation receives any other (non-notify) PathErr for an established
LSP, does it tear the LSP (i.e. release labels) or leave it in place?

3. Is your code carrying live traffic, in lab tests, or in development?

4. If deployed, can you give me a feeling for the number of LSRs in the field (just an
order of magnitude)?

Thanks,
Adrian

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 08:25:05 -0500

> 4. If deployed, can you give me a feeling for the number of LSRs in the field

I don't remember seeing a summary of answers on this.

Curtis

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:14:07 -0000

Curtis,

Don't worry.
I will publish a summary as soon as people have had a chance to respond.
It only been a few days, and many people were travelling.

Additionally, I have had some problems with personal emails. If anyone responded to me
privately, can I ask them to re-send just in case.

Thanks,
Adrian