Subject: [mpls] mpls wg review of draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-03.txt

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:08:25 +0200

All,

the avt working group has requested that
draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-03.txt should be
published as a proposed standard.

Our AD's asks that we (the mpls working group) review
and comment on the draft.

Since it is my ambition to send our response on Monday
please send any comment to me before that.

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                            [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:31:54 -0400

> published as a proposed standard.

Loa, its intended status is informational.

---

From: Thomas Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:39:55 +0200

Some comments on the draft "draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-03.txt" below:

"Figure 1 illustrates an HC over MPLS session established on an LSP that 
crosses several routers, from R1/HC --> R2 --> R3 --> R4/HD, where R1/HC is 
the ingress router where HC is performed, and R4/HD is the egress router 
where header decompression (HD) is done. HC of the RTP/UDP/IP header is 
performed at R1/HC, and the compressed packets are routed using MPLS labels 
from R1/HC to R2, to R3, and finally to R4/HD, without further 
decompression/recompression cycles."

The text and also the figure seems to indicate LSPs all the way to router 
R4. Would this work with penultimate hop popping?

Do you intend to identify the compressed packet by incoming interface and 
SCID? This would work, but matching of SCID at the incoming interface would 
demand some extra implementation.

When thinking about it some more, could it be a problem with multiple LSPs 
terminating at the same incoming interface and compression is used over 
them because of colliding SCIDs? Again with PHP.

Regarding "Extensions to MPLS signalling", I assume that this signalling is 
not intended to be done along with the actual LSP setup but rater between 
"HC-ingress" and "HD-egress"?

Thanks,

Thomas