Subject: [mpls] mpls vs IPv6

From: Jung Janos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:22:51 +0200 (MEST)

Hi!

I have to make some performance mesurement, with
IPv6, IPv4, mpls, but first i must find out,
if it has a sense.

With MPLS I can create MPLS VPNs, QoS can (really?) be
granted to packet flows, and routing is more faster.

IPv6 has the "Flow label" field wich makes routing faster
and has less header overhead than ipv4 (or mpls+ipv4)
And i think flow label could have the same use as
the mpls label value...

How is MPLS to IPv6 related?

Are they technologies that have nothing to do with each other?

Or MPLS can bring new functionalities to IPv6 networks (like to IPv4), and
so mpls+ipv6 would have a sense?
And if so, what are the benefits?

Or:

IPv6 has all what mpls+ipv4 has (separeted flows to support qos
VPNs faster routing) and so mpls would have no further use?

In the new IPV6 era what role will mpls play?

thanks for the answers!
and sorry for the bad english

regards
JJ.
(student)

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: "Piotr Marecki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:14:53 +0200

Halo ,

IPv6 is related to MPLS in the same way as IPv4 ( i.e it is another network
protocol transported on top of MPLS ). In that sense IPv6 is
used with MPLS but not instead of. Please note that the IPv6 flow label has
dissimiliar meaning than MPLS label and shall be used to diffrentiatate
flows along with source and destination address ( see RFC3697 ) .

regards

Piotr Marecki

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:50:51 -0700

This is abit of simplification, but should suffice..

IPv6 is the next generation protocol of IPv4 to move beyond
32 bit addressing.

IPv4 and IPv6 are end-system(ES), intermediate-system(IS), intermediate
system, end sytem protocols that are destination based protocols.
Note: ES is aka a host and IS is aka to a router.

MPLS is a IS-IS protocol that is source based, based on labels
being used for routing when entering a MPLS domain by a edge
router and only being removed when exiting the MPLS domain
at the exiting MPLS edge router.

At the entering MPLS edge router, the same mechanisms apply
as a VLAN tagged frame, to translate to the correct MPLS label
based on a number of factors, one of them could be the incoming
port.

Thus, MPLS requres IPv4 and/or IPv6 to be properly routed, but
IPv4/IPv6 does not need MPLS.

Hopefully this helps...

Mitchell Erblich
---------------------------