Subject: [mpls] IPRs on Upstream Label Allocation

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:08:07 +0100

Working Group,

we have received a couple of Internet Drafts suggesting that we
should specify the use of Upstream Label Allocation for MPLS Multicast.

However, a not very scientific patent search generates the following
list of patents that could be within the area of standardization:

PAT. NO.		Title
1 	6,888,846 	Full-Text 	Data transfer in an optical
                                         network communication system
2 	6,512,744 	Full-Text 	Virtual-channel merging
3 	6,501,754 	Full-Text 	Scheme for label switched path
                                         loop detection at node device
4 	6,483,833 	Full-Text 	Method for transmitting label
                                         switching control information
                                         using the open shortest path
                                         first opaque link state
                                         advertisement option protocol
5 	6,466,985 	Full-Text 	Method and apparatus for
                                         providing quality of service
                                         using the internet protocol 

6 	6,374,303 	Full-Text 	Explicit route and multicast
                                         tree setup using label
                                         distribution
7 	6,336,129 	Full-Text 	Packet transfer method and node
                                         device using resourcereservation
                                         or priority transfer control
                                         without requiring virtual
                                         connection merging 

8 	6,879,594 	Full-Text 	System and method for loop
                                         avoidance in multi-protocol
                                         label switching
9 	6,735,190 	Full-Text 	Packet transport method device
                                         utilizing header removal fields
                                         internet protocol
10	6,408,001 	Full-Text 	Method for determining label
                                         assignments for a router

I've not checked the relevance of all cases or if the the ones that
actually are in the area is disclosed. Varying the search slightly
reveals more potential candidates.

I've notified the IETF secretariat of these patents, and trust that
they will do whatever they need to.

/Loa

PS.

The above represents the necessary procedure, but I will send another
mail trying to clarify my own position. Alex has also promissed to talk
to this a bit tomorrow.

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                            [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls