Subject: [mpls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-icmp-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ICMP Extensions for MultiProtocol Label Switching
	Author(s)	: R. Bonica, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mpls-icmp-08.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2007-2-1
	
This memo defines an extension object that can be appended to
   selected multi-part ICMP messages.  This extension permits Label
   Switching Routers to append MPLS information to ICMP messages, and
   has already been widely deployed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-icmp-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mpls-icmp-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-icmp-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:50:13 +0000

This draft explains what to do if you have
IP over MPLS, but not what to do if you
are carrying something other than IP - for
example a pseudowire.

It occurs to me that in some cases it would
be useful to resolve the MPLS destination
label to the destination IP address, and
send the diagnostic packet forward.

Clearly that does not work if you have
an unknown label or an unknown next hop,
but there may be other circumstances where it
is useful.

- Stewart

---

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:36:50 -0500

Hi Stewart,

As currently defined, the ICMP message is a response to the unroutable
IP datagram. In an application like pseudowires, you wouldn't send an
ICMP packet.

However, now that ICMP messages are extensible, people might find new
applications form them. But let's say that this is beyond the scope of
this draft and fair game for future drafts.

                                     Ron